Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #1441
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Another Christmas, come and gone. This one was very special. It was so nice having such a small family gathering. When we talked, it was just ONE conversation happening at a time, not multiple clusters of people talking about something completely different. It was intimate! And the food was fabulous. Prime Rib, roasted root veggies, an amazing salad of spinach leaves with pomegranates, gorgonzola cheese, almonds, apples, etc. Then there were Grands biscuits, sparkling cider and key lime pie. OMG! I was stuffed.

We played games, lit a fire, watched tv, opened gifts, took videos, played with the three very-well-behaved dogs, and just had a lovely day. I didn't get home until around 11 pm and we were there at 1 pm.

I am shopping on Craigslist for a pre-loved juicer. I'm considering doing a veggie juice cleanse (like the guy does on "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead". Can see on Netflix.) I'm doing the research and will decide soon.

My new laptop arrives on January 4th! My old one with the broken hinges and the Trojan infection is keeping me afloat but I often have to "refresh", restart, and just put up with the video lagging way behind the audio when I'm streaming videos. I'm just happy to still have a laptop to work on in the meantime.

We got about 5" of a very heavy, wet snow yesterday. It was predicted to turn over to sleet and then rain, so I went out at 9pm to clean up as much as I could. It was just at the turning to sleet phase. I cleaned off the side porch and steps then shoveled a path to the car, cleaned off the car and shoveled a path around the car so that when the plow guy came around, he'd have room. Well, he never came.

Today I called the landlady to see if he was supposed to come. She asked if the next door neighbor's driveway got plowed and it had. So she and her husband came by this evening to plow it themselves. It was like concrete! I'm so thankful that they do the driveways. That's a lot of road frontage to have to clean up, after the plows do the street over and over again. Thank you Lord for my home!

Other than that, I'm very uncomfortable with my body. I can not for the life of me understand how I ever lived at 235 lbs. I'm 204.6 right now and I can barely breathe or get around. That's why I'm thinking a juice fast cleanse. I need to do something that will wipe the slate clean and replenish my body of all the nutrients it needs. I can just imagine how good it will make me feel.

I've been playing a lot of games that I downloaded on my Android phone. Lots of Angry Birds and word search games, card games, Reversi, etc. Some nights I can't put the darn phone down! I literally saw the sun come up the first couple of days after I got the problem solved (that was preventing me from being able to download apps.) I even have an app that is a piano playing one that teaches you (sort of) how to play certain songs. (With one finger!) But it's fun. If nothing else, I think these apps are sharpening my mind. It could use a little sharpening.

I hope those of you who are still out there reading had a wonderful Christmas. Tammy, did your son tie the knot yet? How are you holding up? I hope all is right in all of your worlds. Sleep tight.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #1442
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tay65
Stats: On 1/6 - 215.6; current - 208.3 / 1st goal - 199
WOE: Counting calories
Start Date: March 2014
Hi Cheryl....no wedding. They have alot of growing up to do. But I would not be shocked if they do it when they go to Kentucky. There have been some things happen that I had to give them a "talking to" about. My family does not want a wedding to happen right now. They aren't ready for what it takes to make a marriage last.
You got alot of snow! We had a good bit fall here too along with the sleet too. Chloe finally stopped calling it rain when it started sticking to the road and ground. LOL
Chloe got some fun toys so we have been busy playing! She got a Furby & that thing is sooo fun! We have to teach it English bc it speaks furbish. Hahahaha She has a kitchen now so she cooks us things to eat all the time. She has a vacuum that she loves! Its just pretty noisey. I bought her a Dora toddler bed and she put her dolls in it. We aren't "making" her sleep in it. We're taking it slow and letting her get use to just sitting on it and she covers up with her blankets. Its so cute!
Well, have to go for now. ttys!

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

"He who the Son sets free is free indeed"

Tammy
Old 12-28-2012, 06:57 AM   #1443
Big Yapper!

Well, I'm sure that was a tense situation when you had that talking-to with your son. Maybe someday he'll see the wisdom in what you're saying. You did what you felt was the best for him and he will just have to make up his own mind. Sounds like he already has.

Chloe got some cool stuff for Christmas! I'm glad she's got her own bed now. I hope she gravitates toward it but it might take more than a nudge here and there to make it happen. I'm sure it's fun to share a bed with a beloved baby/toddler, but everyone needs down-time.

I was up until around 3:30 playing games on my android and then I woke up around 7. Not sure why but I couldn't get back to sleep so I'm drinking coffee, watching movies on Netflix and now on LCF. I'm glad I'm plowed out now. I can leave if I want to. One of my wiper blades is totally shredded. It was on its last legs and then it went just once or twice over the little shards of ice that I didn't scrape off all the way and that was that! Naturally it is on the driver's side.

I'm back on the Antabuse. I took more time off than I planned to, but it was the holidays. So I'll get me a bottle of Martinelli's Sparkling Cider and toast the New Year! That stuff is good. I will enjoy that. Maybe have some crackers and cheese to go with it.

I might buy a juicer that I found on Craigslist. It's one of the better ones. They retail at $150 and this one is $80. He says it belongs to his mother and that she's used it only three times in the year she's owned it. I tried to talk him down to $60 but he wasn't keen on that idea. I told him I would pay more if it was as nice and as new as he says. There is another lady interested in it so I'll just have to see if she buys it first.

I might have to join Costco or BJ's Wholesale club if I do this, because it takes a LOT of greens to make that veggie juice. They are about 80% veggies and 20% fruit. I haven't any idea how people go about getting protein on this cleanse but that is something I need to research. I can't afford protein powder. I might have to do the juice most of the day and then have eggs or cheese at some point. That doesn't sound like much of a cleanse, though. I might have to just trust the process.

I'm going to head out the door and run some errands. I'll BBL. I'm glad you came back and are posting again, Tammy. You were missed.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #1444
Big Yapper!

Just a very quick note to say OMG! I totally wigged-out today and was supposed to be going to my sister's house again for yet another holiday dinner. She says she told me about it but I would swear I knew of nothing definite. She called at 2 to give me a few last minute details and to say we could come early if we wanted to. I had just eaten a large meal. If I had known/remembered this dinner was today, I would have likely only had coffee. OMG. I don't know what to think about my mental status.

Anyway, I'll give a full report tomorrow. Another significant snow storm coming tomorrow and I may not be going to the farm. Will know more as time goes by. Blessings to all of you and sweet dreams.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #1445
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

We have lots and lots of that white stuff here! Woke up and looked out the window and was surprised we got so much. When I checked the weather on my phone last night it said 1-2 inches! More like 6! Holy cow!!! LOL!
Can't remember if I told ya chloe hasnt liked me all week. Finally yesterday she was liking me more and today she loves me again! Its been a rough week.
Hubby has been layed off since the 7th and "biting at the bit" to get back! LOL Like my horse reference? hahahaha They do this every year.
My wipers need replaced about twice a winter bc dumb butt never gets the ice off of them before turning them on. and they aren't cheap for this Malibu!
Chloe isnt going to her dad's today or next week and who knows when she's going back. She doesn't like going.....why she was clinging to my daughter and husband and didn't like me. We dont know why she doesn't want to go, but in time she can tell us.
Oh, don't feel bad about the way you've been eating. I am gaining weight like crazy! I'm gonna do a round of hhcg and get back on track. I'm feeling slow and pretty darn FAT!
I'm staying home on New Year's, like always. Shawn leaves on the 1st. Its gonna be a few months til we see him again. I guess they're gonna get married then.
I'm watching Chloe tonight bc my dd and her bf are going to amateur cage fights! I have to tell ya what my dd got from her bf for xmas!!! Two necklaces made from Australian Crystals. One is a single purple crystal with a 1/2 carat of diamonds around it and the other is a necklace with different shades of purple and white crystals. I forget what they're called. But the only way to order them is to find someone who has parties and get a catalog. Then you order what you want and it gets handmade from ladies there. They're very expensive. The two he gave her were OVER $600 ! My dd knew what they were bc she worked at a high end salon and some of the girls there had them. SABIKA CRYSTALS! Just remembered what they were! LOL
Old 12-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #1446
Big Yapper!

That sounds like a big red flag. How is she when she comes back home from being with her dad and his mom? Who else is around her when they have her? Is it an entire family gathering? Might be too many faces for such a short period of time. Is her personality changing for the worse in a general way? God only knows what goes on when they drive down the road with her. I'm serious, Tammy. Watch her behavior and moods. I wouldn't let her go if she really doesn't want to. Maybe he needs to go back to being with her in your home, while you're there. Then you can see how things go.

$600? Holy cow, Tammy. Sounds serious! Will be interesting to see how things end up.

Our end of your snow storm is tapering off to a trickle right now, at 12:30 am. I went out to clean up a few hours ago, just to get a good handle on the situation. It is very light and fluffy but we got around 6" inches or so, too. So much snow for one week! I don't think we'll be having muddy horses for at least a few months.

Getting back to Chloe and her Dad, do they ever have social workers observing a child with the non-custodial parent on visitation days when the child is showing serious reservations about going? Seems obvious that there should be some "agent" who could perform that type of evaluation. Is there such a thing? There really should be!

I never got back on LCF today to talk about the party yesterday and I have no desire to do it now that it's past midnight, but I will say that it was a lot of fun. I'm done with holiday dinners. I'm done with holiday dinners. I'm done with holiday dinners. There! Should stick, now.

Didn't do the farm today but will go and help out tomorrow. The manager said she'd call when the place has been plowed. "It's gunna be a hot mess." She always says stuff is a hot mess.

I wrote a decision email to the guy with the juicer. Not sure if I mentioned about that on this thread but have been talking about it on others. Anyway, if he goes for $75, I'll buy it. I need to do a cleanse and those green veggie juices are the way I'm going to clean out and start over. I really think it's the right direction to head into. At least to see how I feel after a week or two of juicing. I did research and this juicer he's selling is a quality one that's seen very little use.

Night, ladies. Off to bed I go. I'm so hung up on Angry Birds! It's fun and aggravating and frustrating and something that I can't stop doing!!!!
Old 12-30-2012, 06:45 AM   #1447
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/161.6/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Hi Cheryl! at angry birds! Very addicting!

Hope the juicer works out. If you use it it's a great investment. Many buy them and they sit. Hope you start the new year off well! Enjoy the snow, hope it covers the gray mess. I hated that part of winter. Hard to type with a sleeping puppy on my lap!

Take care sweetie!
Old 12-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #1448
Big Yapper!

You look so great in your new Avi. I saw the picture before you decided to use it that way and it's a great choice! You look so healthy, happy and well. As you should be!! I think I'm going to go cold-turkey on Angry Birds. It gets me so dang wound up when I can't smash those buildings and get to those rotten, snivelling pigs. And they keep chuckling at me in their piggy way. I was up past 4 am even though I had stopped playing long before midnight. It just keys me up. So I'm going back to word search!

It's so WINDY here today. The snow has that wind-swept look to it, with drifts in places. The plow guy came while I was sleeping and did the other half of the driveway (where I wasn't parked) and then came at it from the side and plowed behind my car. He does a great job! That is a HUGE perk for renting here. I thought I hadn't been told that was included but I do recall her saying that I would just need to do the path to the driveway and out to the mailbox and the porches. What a great place I live in!

I haven't heard a reply from my final offer for the juicer. I don't know if they're just busy or if they are aggravated that I am not coming up to the full asking price. I'm only down $5 and my original offer was $20 less than asking. He asked me if I could come up some from $60 so it wasn't like he was completely flipping me the bird.

The only thing about juicing for a cleanse that worries me is the cost of the veggies and fruit. That movie/documentary I am going by says it cost $14/day if you go with regular produce and $28/day with organic. And the movie is a few years old, I'm assuming. I might have to do juice twice a day and eat a salad or some fruit for one meal. That might make it more doable for me.

The other way I could approach it is to take the money my loved-ones gave me for Christmas and totally use it to tackle this endeavour whole hog. (Damn pigs.) If you haven't seen "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" and you have Netflix, I HIGHLY recommend it. It's done so well and it fills you with such positive energy.

They call it a "reboot." I think that is very apropos. Now that they have gotten to their maintenance weight and are living a very healthy lifestyle, they do a reboot a couple of times a year for 2 weeks. Sounds perfect to me.

I can't wait to get my new computer!!! My old one that's hanging by a thread and that's keeping me online since the other one gave up the ghost is making a noise every now and then, like an error beep. My dog hears it and she immediately stands up and starts pacing, slinking around from room to room. O.M.G. Neuroses!!! So when I'm on a site that doesn't require that I have the volume on, I turn it off completely. But it's too late now. Cissy's in motion.

So, that dinner get-together that I almost missed:

They made Ham, fried Calamari (two dipping sauces), Lasagna, that special salad with gorgonzola cheese and pomegranates (too many ingredients to list here), these cheesy biscuits (KILLER biscuits), and strawberry shortcake for desert. I skipped that and opted to help out in the kitchen. When my sister's kids are home for the holidays (or any other time they can manage to come home), she makes such a celebration out of it that it's like a graduation or something.

The second "festival", I got to see her daughter and partner and sister's son and wife. There were four dogs in the house that day! It was hairy at times (Hahaha! Didn't plan to say that. I just love puns) and the newest dog to be adopted into the family copped a squat three times and just let loose her bladder. Good thing for hard wood floors. And paper towels.

Cissy wasn't an angel, either. There was a puzzle out and several people were trying to put it together but Cissy has this thing for paper and anytime she found a puzzle piece on the ground, she sneakily snarfed it. It got to the point of ridiculousness. I called her over and said, "Here!" and gave her a napkin. She took it in her mouth and just stood there, thinking. I knew what she was thinking. She wanted to know where she could go to eat it in privacy and joy. She found a spot behind the couch where she felt she was getting away with something.

There were a few other food items that I forgot to mention, but you get the idea. Now that the "kids" are heading back to their homes soon, we can get back to normal. We do have a kid (much younger) birthday in January but I can resist pizza and cake. That won't be horrible. Especially if I'm dropping weight and feeling good inside and out.

Maybe I'll write the guy and just tell him I'll pay the $80 and come pick it up tomorrow. Let's seal this deal! I want my life back!!!

Last edited by CherylB; 12-30-2012 at 01:06 PM..
Old 01-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #1449
Big Yapper!

Hello, folks! 2013 is off to a real bang up here in CT. I bought my Breville Juice Fountain for $80 and I trust it will be money well-spent. On the way to pick it up, I drove past an Aldi supermarket. I never shop there because it takes almost 20 minutes to get there. Anyway, off I drove to get the juicer while it was still daylight.

On the way back home, I stopped in at the Aldi store to check their dumpster situation. The store was closed, everyone gone home and I drove to the side of the building where the dumpster was found (side/back.) Eureka! Lo and behold, I FINALLY found a store that tosses real produce and meat!

It was as if God was rewarding me with the food on the very day that I took the step toward getting the juicer. Coincidence? I doubt it! I took whatever I could reach but I wasn't prepared for diving. I found a large trash bag in the trunk and did the best I could. I brought everything home (I left tons of stuff there; just couldn't get to it) and went through it all. I am still in shock. Shock and Awe!

I took a picture of all the fruit and veggies cleaned and gathered together (the keeper stuff) but I didn't take a pic of the meat (I took it on the Android phone and I'm having trouble sending it via email.) Those I quickly repackaged and put into seal-a-meal bags and froze. But I got a pork loin roast that was 10 lbs in a shrink-wrapped wrapper (date was expired a couple days ago), two packages of center-cut pork chops (again; dated 12/24 and 12/29). Those I took out of their package, sniffed, and placed in the seal a meal bags. Off they went to the freezer. I also found a shrink-wrapped small piece of strip steak (or something of that nature.) It was small so I'm guessing it was something special.

For produce, I got 3 whole pineapples, a large bag of oranges, a bag of lemons, bag of apples, and a large cantaloupe. Also one grapefruit and one clementine. Veggies, I got about 6 heads of Cauliflower, 2 premium-type containers of small lettuce heads (four heads per package), cucumbers, and a three-pack of Romaine lettuce. I also brought home a small jar of tomato basil hummus.

I found other things in that dumpster (only the top/front, which I could reach) like intact cans of soda, eggs (mostly broken) and plants that were tossed (those were truly dead but used to be Poinsettias).

I drove home feeling totally BLESSED! I was so jazzed, knowing that this juicing thing just might work out! The possibilities are endless with this store. It is EXACTLY what I was looking for but was convinced I couldn't find. It sounds crazy to say this but this might be the best New Years' Day EVER!

Now the challenge will be finding room in the refrigerator and freezer for all this stuff! I am thinking about putting all the darn condiment-type stuff that clutters up the refrigerator into a cooler and putting it outside. Might as well use winter to full advantage! If it's out of the sun, it should stay perfectly cold. And if it turns out I'm wrong, good excuse to buy some fresh stuff when I'm able to eat it again.

I have no idea if people juice cauliflower but if I was doing Atkins, I'd be good-to-go! Supposedly you just get the juice of each veggie/fruit and all pulp and stuff goes to the discard bin. I won't know for sure until I roll up my sleeves and get busy.

Last edited by CherylB; 01-01-2013 at 05:39 PM..
Old 01-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #1450
Big Yapper!

Now, to answer your question, Deb. Over on Deb's journal, she asked me to share about that time in my life where I lost too many people in too short a space in time. I figured it would be better to go into all that here.

Those 17 terrible months were from November 1999 to April 2001, but from May of 1997 (when my husband's transplanted kidney began to fail), I began the slow decent into hell. I knew then that he was a time bomb and that I'd lose him before long.

I met him during my first nursing job out of school. He was just my patient for one night but he made quite an impression. I left one on him, as well. So much so that we got together and fell wildly in love, even in spite of his being blind and having many health issues. He was just that kind of guy.

We got married (officially) May 1996, a year later we were packing to go on our belated honeymoon to Florida (literally packing to leave) when we found out his kidney levels in his latest blood tests were showing a problem. We didn't go to Florida for two weeks. We spent those two weeks going in and out of hospitals having test after test.

I said I wouldn't go into great detail but it's so hard not to. I'm going to reign myself in and try to cut it short. He put off going on dialysis and got very bloated with fluid as he went on one last trip to Yosemite with his family. When he returned he finally consented to dialysis. He went three and sometimes four times a week (he had extreme trouble limiting his fluids, and sometimes if his blood pressure crashed during dialysis, they'd give him saline IV fluid to bring it up.

More and more complications happened. He became completely incapacitated and wheelchair-bound with a new ulcer on his heal (after being hospitalized and bed-bound for 70 some-odd days.) We struggled for almost a full year to keep his leg and we lost the fight in November 1999. We had just gone to CA to visit his aging grandmother whom we loved dearly. She was 93 and I was much closer to her than any of my own grandmothers. We'd been saying we needed to get down there to see her before it was too late, so off we went with the truck camper and the wheelchair and all the supplies I needed to do his heal wound care (which involved deep packing by then.)

We got there and found out that hubby's parents also decided to come visit grandma so we decided to let them have her all to themselves and we'd see her the following day. They took her out to dinner at a restaurant and then brought her back to her house. She went in to use the bathroom and didn't come back out. Hubby's mother found grandma slumped against the bathroom wall. She was gone. Just like that.

So we were there and so stayed for the funeral. When we returned to Las Vegas (where we were living), we accepted defeat and let them amputate hubby's leg below the knee. When I met him he'd been in for a partial right foot amputation (juvenile diabetes) so this second amputation took the last of his toes. This was a huge deal. He had vertigo from Gentamicin and we knew he'd never walk again. Blind, dizzy and with only a half a foot on one leg? Yeah. So the same month his grandmother died, we had another sort of death with losing his leg. I never "got it" being a nurse and having patients with amputations, but I sure "got it" then.

So he continued to decline, continued on dialysis, etc. One weekend he went to CA with his parents for an annual family gathering (huge.) I was supposed to go but I just needed a break so I said I'd stay behind. He said, "You're cheating me out of a good time with you." I didn't care. I needed some ME time. He came back and I went to pick him up. He was so tired he could barely roll off of his parent's couch to get ready to go home. That night he died in his sleep, on the couch of our duplex. I found him in the morning when I got up to get ready for work. Never saw it coming. (This was February 7, a little less than 3 months since great-grammy died.)

Three months later, my step-father in CT was failing fast. He'd been a life-long smoker and had finally kicked the habit about 5 years before, but it was too late. Lung cancer got him. I flew home to be with him and my mother during his final days but I had to get back to AZ and to work. No time for mourning. Life goes on. (The reason why I am disabled now. I never had time to process and heal.)

So then, I hit the road as a travel nurse that July. Decided to do an assignment in West Palm Beach Florida to be near my Dad, whom I hadn't spent any real time with in 7 years. We would have seen him on our Honeymoon that never was. I did my first assignment in VA to be with my late hubby's daughter, hubby and kids. We became very close after he passed. It opened up a door between us that was shut up tight while he was alive. After that I spent two months in CT, not working.

Off to FL to be with Dad and his wife for an assignment in WPB. I got there in January, started work in February, Dad had a stroke in March and died in April. I left in May.

So that is the story of the worst years of my life. I kept doing travel nursing but with people dropping like flies, it didn't make much sense to me to keep moving around, and with Dad gone, I had fewer people to go and visit. The following year in the Fall, I did an assignment at Yale in New Haven and just decided to stick around. Found a little house on a lake that was for rent and decided to "unpack." It was great until my dog got hit by an SUV there and died. (I don't even count that death in the string of them because it was a year later.)

Yes, I've been wrecked. I'm still a mess but I'm finding good things to appreciate in life and I'm finding ways (sometimes) to believe in myself and trust in having a future and I try to imagine living a life that I can truly enjoy. I guess I'm always afraid of the rug being yanked out from under me. Maybe that's why I can't seem to reach goal weight. Maybe I fear something terrible will happen to take it all away from me. (My joy.)

Going to post this book now. Be careful when you ask me to share a story! I really did try to give you the short version but you can see how impossible that task is. Anyway, say a prayer for me but don't worry. All these things happened 12 and 13 years ago and time really does heal wounds. I don't know how I survived. I did everything I shouldn't have done and did it with abandon. Now I'm trying to undo all of that.

That's where this juice cleanse/detox comes in. Time to rid my body of a ton of bad toxins, emotions, pain and remorse. I hope all that can be accomplished with juice.

Last edited by CherylB; 01-01-2013 at 06:34 PM..
Old 01-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #1451
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Cheryl Thank you so much for sharing!
I've wanted to ask for quite a while, but was not wanting to bring you down, by revisiting it. I'm so glad that God is healing you, and giving you the strength & hope to go on. Because of all the pain you've endured, you have so much to offer to those who are going through it too.

Your laptop is coming soon. What kind did you get? My favorite laptop malfunctioned tonight, so I'm thinking seriously of ordering a new one, rather then take it in to the repairman. They're quite reasonable right now too. I like lennovo, mostly because of the little dot they have for a mouse... wow, they sure have a lot of memory & speed now! I guess I am due to get a new one anyway. Using our tiny travel laptop right now... don't like it! Too small... dh wants me to get a tablet, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to play my scrabble game on it!
Dr. Oz was good today. He explained why I have to take the dumb lemon juice every morning... for a liver cleanse. But he suggests adding 2 drops of hot sauce to it... gonna try that tomorrow. Make sure you get lemons for your cleanse! First thing to drink in the am... the liver is doing a big job!
Going to post that on my thread... need to remember.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #1452
Big Yapper!

Yep! I got a bag of lemons yesterday, too. I need to go buy some ginger root and kale or some other deep leafy green. I already had carrots so I should be good to go. I've been reading up on the model juicer I bought. It was tricky just finding the model number and then finding the right manual for it online. I finally found what I needed and just finished reading through the basic "how to" stuff. I'm very excited but I want to be sure to follow some sort of recipe so the juice is tolerable. I don't want to get turned-off right out of the starting gate.

The laptop I bought is an Acer Aspire. The one I'm using right now (that's keeping me afloat since the Dell crapped out on me) is a great computer that I bought refurbished. That's why I trusted Acer again. I just won't be closing it much this time around so the hinges won't wear out like this one did. I use it like a desktop anyway. I'll take it places on very rare occasions but maybe twice a year? Anyway, I got one with a 17.3" screen. I love the large screens for streaming all the video I do.

I also chose Windows 7 because I was reading up on Windows 8 and it seems really tricky. Having just bought my Samsung smartphone and trying to get adapted to it, I didn't want my computer to be yet another thing I needed to learn how to use. I just want to do the things I want to do without the computer actually standing in my way. You know?

Did you purchase the scrabble game for the computer? I'd be interested in knowing where to find one of those. I downloaded an app for scrabble on the phone last night but haven't tried it out yet. We played the board game at my sisters Christmas Day and it was a barrel of laughs.

Where's hubby at today? I hope things are going smoothly for them. It is so cold here in CT right now. Only in the teens at noon and barely in the 20's now. I'll bet it will be in the single digits tonight. No precipitation in the forecast for at least a week. We have enough snow to last us for a while. And about 6 days from now, we might be up into the 40's for a bit!

I've been really in the mood to take a nice, hot, soaking bath and I think I might finally make that happen today. I want to use special aroma-therapy bath gel, light a candle or two, put on some nice music and really soak for a while. I generally don't take long baths. I get bored and climb out after about 10 minutes, if that long.

I defrosted a frozen roasting chicken a week ago and I am trying to decide if I should cook it up or give it to my Mother. I really want to get started on my juice cleanse so I might offer it to Mom and see if she wants it. It's a Purdue Oven Stuffer Roaster so it's fat and juicy. Maybe I'll bring her a package of those pork chops I got yesterday, too! I won't tell her where I got them.

I haven't told any of my family that I started dumpster diving. I will share about it eventually but not right now. I have you guys to tell my secrets to.

Have a great day/night. Stay warm! God bless you all.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #1453
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That's great! Way to go. My friend used a lot of cucumbers, which turned me off instantly! (can't stand them)! You have hypothyroidism too don't you? That really limits what you can eat raw, unfortunately.
I just stocked up on my veggies today too. Had run out of all my cooked variety.

My little laptop is an acer too. I close it all the time. hmm... I'm looking to get as much memory & speed as possible, & I think probably will go for Lennovo again. But I have time to shop around. I am borrowing the church laptop that is used only by me anyway. We just bought a desk-top for the multi-media, so it got retired from that job. And I will try Windows 8, because it is supposed to be really fast... (love speed).

I do have the scrabble game that I bought online, but I like playing it on facebook. You can play your friends, or strangers. The one you get & play against on the puter is not as fun.

dh was in San Mateo this morning, heading south-east, for Arizona. Probably. I haven't received any SPOT messages today. (hope it didn't get stolen)!

Have a nice bath! I like 'em really hot! But usually only do that on motorcycle rides in motels. They never run out of hot water & I'm usually pretty chilled.

How long does chicken last thawed out? Hope its not too old?

So, you went dumpster diving again? Is that where you got the pork chops?

Thanks, you have a great evening too. I have to go out for a short meeting tonight. And I need to go ski before it gets dark in an hour. The day is so short, after working & shopping. Oh well.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #1454
Big Yapper!

I didn't know FB had a scrabble game! I used to play a lot of Texas Hold 'em poker on FB but I got burned out over time.

Yeah; I wrote a big long post right before the one about the deaths. I wrote all about the juicer and the successful dumpster dive. Go read it! You missed a lot of info, girl.

You sound like my Mother. The chicken is in a shrink-wrapped plastic and no air can get to it so it lasts a lot longer than it would otherwise, but I don't worry unless it has an odor when you open it. My Mother, on the other hand, will be concerned about the number of days it's been out of the freezer. I don't throw food away without a good cause.

Well, go read the post you missed and then we'll chat again later.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #1455
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
Hello, folks! 2013 is off to a real bang up here in CT. I bought my Breville Juice Fountain for $80 and I trust it will be money well-spent. On the way to pick it up, I drove past an Aldi supermarket. I never shop there because it takes almost 20 minutes to get there. Anyway, off I drove to get the juicer while it was still daylight.

On the way back home, I stopped in at the Aldi store to check their dumpster situation. The store was closed, everyone gone home and I drove to the side of the building where the dumpster was found (side/back.) Eureka! Lo and behold, I FINALLY found a store that tosses real produce and meat!

It was as if God was rewarding me with the food on the very day that I took the step toward getting the juicer. Coincidence? I doubt it! I took whatever I could reach but I wasn't prepared for diving. I found a large trash bag in the trunk and did the best I could. I brought everything home (I left tons of stuff there; just couldn't get to it) and went through it all. I am still in shock. Shock and Awe!

I took a picture of all the fruit and veggies cleaned and gathered together (the keeper stuff) but I didn't take a pic of the meat (I took it on the Android phone and I'm having trouble sending it via email.) Those I quickly repackaged and put into seal-a-meal bags and froze. But I got a pork loin roast that was 10 lbs in a shrink-wrapped wrapper (date was expired a couple days ago), two packages of center-cut pork chops (again; dated 12/24 and 12/29). Those I took out of their package, sniffed, and placed in the seal a meal bags. Off they went to the freezer. I also found a shrink-wrapped small piece of strip steak (or something of that nature.) It was small so I'm guessing it was something special.

For produce, I got 3 whole pineapples, a large bag of oranges, a bag of lemons, bag of apples, and a large cantaloupe. Also one grapefruit and one clementine. Veggies, I got about 6 heads of Cauliflower, 2 premium-type containers of small lettuce heads (four heads per package), cucumbers, and a three-pack of Romaine lettuce. I also brought home a small jar of tomato basil hummus.

I found other things in that dumpster (only the top/front, which I could reach) like intact cans of soda, eggs (mostly broken) and plants that were tossed (those were truly dead but used to be Poinsettias).

I drove home feeling totally BLESSED! I was so jazzed, knowing that this juicing thing just might work out! The possibilities are endless with this store. It is EXACTLY what I was looking for but was convinced I couldn't find. It sounds crazy to say this but this might be the best New Years' Day EVER!

Now the challenge will be finding room in the refrigerator and freezer for all this stuff! I am thinking about putting all the darn condiment-type stuff that clutters up the refrigerator into a cooler and putting it outside. Might as well use winter to full advantage! If it's out of the sun, it should stay perfectly cold. And if it turns out I'm wrong, good excuse to buy some fresh stuff when I'm able to eat it again.

I have no idea if people juice cauliflower but if I was doing Atkins, I'd be good-to-go! Supposedly you just get the juice of each veggie/fruit and all pulp and stuff goes to the discard bin. I won't know for sure until I roll up my sleeves and get busy.
PTL!! How awesome for you Cheryl!! I'm sure the meat must be still good, its fairly cold there, after all. Wonderful, wonderful, gracious goodness!
Sorry to sound like your Mom! My sister just got sick from something that was out of date in her own fridge... but she has a very sensitive stomach.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #1456
Big Yapper!

It's very cold here. Frigid right now! I know some people have very sensitive digestive systems but I can tell a lot by how something smells or feels. And how it looks, of course. But I never worry about dates. Some people rely too much on the dates and don't use their intelligence to see if it's still good.

Anyway, it's sure good that I feel that way, huh! Otherwise I could never do this. We shall see how it all plays out.

Payday is tomorrow and the computer comes the following day! Big week in my world. I'm agitated by something that happened at the grocery store, though. I used my debit card for $16 worth of food and it got declined! I had to go home, grab some cash and come back. Then when I got settled, I looked online and the gym membership fee came out almost two full weeks early. Not only that, they took out an annual January maintenance fee at the same time. Two charges that could have cost me $75 for being unexpected. I'm going to be talking to someone about that one. Trust me!

Now that I have a good source of real food, I can maybe get caught up on the other bills. Somebody's prayers got answered! They just might have been my own.

Have a great night, Debby (and others out there.) Let's keep the good vibes going in 2013.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #1457
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

EEEW!!!! That's not good. Yep, they need an ear full for that!
So good you got the warning before extra bank charges.
Pay day must of come for everybody here today... bank line-up was SO long!
I just went to the board meeting, but not enough of the board made it, so it was only half an hour long. Fine with me!
Dave's in Barstow, California, going through border tomorrow. He finally checked in. No phone in motel though.
Lovely week for you!

Quote:
It's very cold here. Frigid right now! I know some people have very sensitive digestive systems but I can tell a lot by how something smells or feels. And how it looks, of course. But I never worry about dates. Some people rely too much on the dates and don't use their intelligence to see if it's still good.

Anyway, it's sure good that I feel that way, huh! Otherwise I could never do this. We shall see how it all plays out.

Payday is tomorrow and the computer comes the following day! Big week in my world. I'm agitated by something that happened at the grocery store, though. I used my debit card for $16 worth of food and it got declined! I had to go home, grab some cash and come back. Then when I got settled, I looked online and the gym membership fee came out almost two full weeks early. Not only that, they took out an annual January maintenance fee at the same time. Two charges that could have cost me $75 for being unexpected. I'm going to be talking to someone about that one. Trust me!

Now that I have a good source of real food, I can maybe get caught up on the other bills. Somebody's prayers got answered! They just might have been my own.

Have a great night, Debby (and others out there.) Let's keep the good vibes going in 2013.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:35 AM   #1458
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'd be so mad at them! I dont think I'd call them, I'd have to see someone face to face!
I made an unexpected trip to KY! My sons gf was suppose to take him back to base on the 1st, but her parents wouldn't allow her to take the car. So I got the pleasure of taking him back. She rode with me to help with the driving. We came back last night. Got home at 9 pm. I'm beat!
I have to call my dr to try to get out of jury duty. I cant sit all day and besides, who will watch Chloe! Geeze!
BBL Have a good day!
Old 01-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #1459
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/161.6/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
good to read your whole story. Such loss. Reminds me of my dad, also a juv. Diabetic and amputee. Only blind in1 eye, and no kidney trouble. But I know some of that constant battle. We were very close. My dad died in 2007 . Glad you're settled near family now. Sounds like things are a bit calmer too.

That's a lot of produce for Aldis. I didn't realize they had produce and meat? I went to one in Pa, but got canned stuff, and bulk. Good job! Way to stretch the budget. Hope the juicing works out well for you!

New year, fresh start!

Debby!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #1460
Big Yapper!

I don't know about all Aldis stores but I've seen their fliers and it's just like a regular grocery store but they are supposed to have great prices. It's funny because I've never stepped inside one but I've been in their dumpster! I will be going back again real soon. With juicing, I'm going to be going through A LOT of produce. I'll still grab up what meats and stuff I find and pass them on to others. Everybody wins!

Tammy, what a nightmare. I hope you can get out of jury duty. You certainly don't have the time or the physical condition to withstand it.

As far as seeing someone face-to-face about that early automatic debit, you know how that goes. The people who do the billing are not the people you see in the gym at the desk or even the people you see when you want to speak to those "higher-ups." All you can do is call and chew them out and still that won't do anything. It's pointless. But they better not think they're going to change their payment to the beginning of the month! I can't deal with that. I just now managed to get Allstate to switch to the 5th. They were the ones who cost me two $37 overdraft fees last month. I got one waved but the other "stuck."

Yes, it was a very bad time. I only wrote about it because Debby asked if I would share. But it's not something I dwell on or talk about normally. If anyone wants to hear the story in the future, I'll have to redirect them to that post. (I guess I should write down the number somewhere so I can retrieve it. But I'm sure I'd forget where I wrote it.)

I'm sorry your dear old Dad went through so much. God bless all of you for making his final years the best they could be.

Deb, so glad hubby's cruising right along. No phone in the motel? Weird.

Well, I just got a lot done in the kitchen. I cleaned and put away my coffee maker and the toaster oven, to make more counter space for this juicing phase I'm beginning. I loaded the dishwasher and got everything nice and orderly. Lastly I got a recipe for the "Lean Green #1" juice and washed the veggies and fruits for that. I took off most of the rind on the 1/2 lemon the recipe called for, then I washed, dried and put the juicer all back together. Whew!

Lastly I set the juicer and all washed veggies on the kitchen table and went to town with my first juice. It was pretty cool! The juice had a tang to it. I drank it pretty fast because I was afraid to actually taste it (sounds funny) but you could definitely tell it was green. I did feel good soon after drinking it, though. Like my body was waking up.

When I took the juicer apart and rinsed everything down, it cleaned up quick and easy. Finally, I dumped the discard bin with the fibers from the produce and it was much drier than I expected it to be. Damp but not in the least bit drippy. I bought a great juicer!!!

This #1 recipe calls for Kale, Celery, Cucumber, Apple, Lemon and a piece of Ginger Root. It really wasn't bad! I can't imagine that it won't turn my teeth green if I sip it all day long, the way they do in the movie.

Well, while the dishes are washing themselves, I need to go make the landlady happy by doing a better job of cleaning up the sidewalks of snow. Yep! I got an email yesterday from her, saying they need to be kept up by tenant as agreed upon in the lease. She says if we don't keep a clear path from the mail box all the way to the front porch, she gets "nasty grams" from postal workers. Whatever! I spread a ton of de-icing salt earlier to try and break through the snow and ice because it's totally solid now.

BBL, ladies! Have a great afternoon. (That would be morning for you West Coast ladies.)

Last edited by CherylB; 01-03-2013 at 10:13 AM..
Old 01-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #1461
Big Yapper!

PS: I think the whole reason she hasn't stopped her mail from coming here is so she has an excuse to come here on a routine basis and check things out. She's a great lady but there are two sides to every coin. I will work with her and make the best of things. It could be a lot worse, right?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #1462
Big Yapper!

I JUST GOT OFFERED A JOB AT SHEPARD MEADOWS WHERE I VOLUNTEER WITH THE HORSES!!!!!

I AM STUNNED, OVERCOME WITH JOY, IN A DREAM-LIKE STATE. I CAN'T GET MY MIND AROUND WHAT JUST HAPPENED!!!

I was out shoveling through that impossible snow and when I came back inside and got relaxed, I saw that I had a voicemail. I listened to it and it was the office manager (bigger title than that but that will do for now.) She only said who she was and asked if I would give her a call.

I hate those kinds of messages because you never know what you're walking into when you call them back and I used to volunteer with her in the office in the beginning, too. The first words out of her mouth were that they would like to offer me a part time job as one of their paid barn staff. The first words out of my mouth were, "Are you kidding me?" (Said like, "are you putting me on?) "No I'm not! The girls all said that they wanted you to fill that position, if you are interested. If I'm interested??????

I told her that I'd been searching for a job just like this at various places but once I meet with people at their facilities and don't end up getting the job, I walk away thinking they thought: "She's too old, she's too fat, she doesn't have enough experience." OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She wants me to come in to fill out paperwork and talk about the specifics and she said 4:30 today but she wasn't sure if the equine manager could be there at that time. I said she should check with her and then we could go from there. So I'm waiting to hear back and in the meantime, I'm washing some clothes. I need something to wear!!!

Can you believe this? I CAN'T!! I got down on my knees and worshipped God. In fact, the words "PRAISE GOD!" came out of my mouth toward the end of our conversation on the phone. She laughed and shared my joy. I immediately called my sister Donna because she's the one I always run to with news, etc. She's my go-to sister! She was elated for me. I'm sure she was worshipping God after we got off from the call, too.

I will remember 1-3-13 for years to come, ladies! The day I finally got a job doing what I love and the day I began my detox/cleanse with green juice. Lucky #13!!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #1463
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/bouncing again/127 5'2"
WOE: moderation
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011~ Moderation 3/15/14
awwww Cheryl I'm so happy for you !! Truly a Blessing !
Old 01-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #1464
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hallelujah! Thank You Jesus!!
Old 01-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #1465
Big Yapper!

Amen! Thanks, ladies! I went up there at 5 pm and met with two of the ladies. I have to fill out an application to have on file and I start orienting (with pay) on the 13th. Two afternoon orientations and one morning one, then I'm going to be doing every Monday and Wednesday afternoon. I can pick up more hours here and there but this is what it will be to start. It will keep me afloat!!!

I have some reading material and I need to bone-up on how to recognize health issues with horses. Apparently they happen more often than we'd like them to. So I need to learn what's normal for each horse and what might be a sign of distress.

One of the other girls wants to go visit her father in AZ for two weeks in March, so I can help fill in those hours with the other girl and the equine manager. They are mostly mornings but I will just be happy for the extra money. I'll squirrel it away for the months when I don't have so many hours to work.

It feels so amazing to have my FOOT IN THE DOOR! From here, I can learn and grow and mature. What a relief!

I have been enjoying my juices but now it's evening and my old beast inside me that loves to eat at night is making me think about food. I will be strong! And I will weigh in the morning and see what it says. I weighed today: 205.2. I feel so much bigger than that. It's disgusting but I'm confidant the lbs will melt away fast. We shall see, won't we!

Have a great night, girls. I told my sister the rest of the job news and then I called my Mom to tell her all about it. She was so happy for me. "Now I can stop praying you'll find a job you'll love!" She's been praying every day.

Off to relax now. I will be making another dumpster run tomorrow. I should really go tonight but it's too dog-gone cold out there. That juicer eats up a lot of produce! It's frightening to see so much solid food go in one end and see a glass full of juice at the other. If I had a garden, I'd compost all this material and use it in the Spring. Right now, Spring is too far away to plan for.

Tomorrow my new laptop arrives!!! Is this a great January or what?!?
Old 01-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #1466
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/bouncing again/127 5'2"
WOE: moderation
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011~ Moderation 3/15/14
so glad you had a great day !
Old 01-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #1467
Big Yapper!

Thank you! I hope you have some great days in store for you soon.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #1468
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Amen! Thanks, ladies! I went up there at 5 pm and met with two of the ladies. I have to fill out an application to have on file and I start orienting (with pay) on the 13th. Two afternoon orientations and one morning one, then I'm going to be doing every Monday and Wednesday afternoon. I can pick up more hours here and there but this is what it will be to start. It will keep me afloat!!!

I have some reading material and I need to bone-up on how to recognize health issues with horses. Apparently they happen more often than we'd like them to. So I need to learn what's normal for each horse and what might be a sign of distress.

One of the other girls wants to go visit her father in AZ for two weeks in March, so I can help fill in those hours with the other girl and the equine manager. They are mostly mornings but I will just be happy for the extra money. I'll squirrel it away for the months when I don't have so many hours to work.

It feels so amazing to have my FOOT IN THE DOOR! From here, I can learn and grow and mature. What a relief!

I have been enjoying my juices but now it's evening and my old beast inside me that loves to eat at night is making me think about food. I will be strong! And I will weigh in the morning and see what it says. I weighed today: 205.2. I feel so much bigger than that. It's disgusting but I'm confidant the lbs will melt away fast. We shall see, won't we!

Have a great night, girls. I told my sister the rest of the job news and then I called my Mom to tell her all about it. She was so happy for me. "Now I can stop praying you'll find a job you'll love!" She's been praying every day.

Off to relax now. I will be making another dumpster run tomorrow. I should really go tonight but it's too dog-gone cold out there. That juicer eats up a lot of produce! It's frightening to see so much solid food go in one end and see a glass full of juice at the other. If I had a garden, I'd compost all this material and use it in the Spring. Right now, Spring is too far away to plan for.

Tomorrow my new laptop arrives!!! Is this a great January or what?!?
That's so great about the job. God's ways are perfect!
I wonder... could the horses eat the pulp? Maybe you could ask someone. It might be good for them. (oh, check your facebook. I sent you a cool picture taken in my field yesterday. You'll LOVE it!).

I was cold today too. Even though the thermometer says its warmer. DH is in Mexico now... boy was it hard to get the lady at the desk to know who I wanted... his friend didn't give me a room #.

Yippee! Laptop tomorrow!

Hope you have great success with your scale!
Old 01-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #1469
Big Yapper!

Yes, His ways are. Sometimes it doesn't feel like they are, but when the deal goes down, He knows what He's doing. I'm so glad your hubby made it to Mexico and that you got to speak with him. I'm going to FB now to see the picture, then I'm going to turn on some soothing movie and go nite-nite. Day one of juicing went well but I need do larger batches and drink even more than I drank. I need to be prepared for when the hungries strike late at night. I don't want to be going through all that and making noise when I have people sleeping upstairs.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #1470
Big Yapper!

I'm down 2.5 lbs today! My head is foggy but I remember a woman in the documentary that was doing the fast/cleanse for 10 days said she felt foggy a couple days into it. I'm trusting it's all part of the detox and that the fog will lift and I'll be much clearer than I was before I began this journey.

All the juices seem to have the same general taste to them, even when you use different ingredients (ie greens and fruit.)

I need to fill out the job application so I can bring it back in on Saturday but they said Monday would be fine, too. I just would like to get it over with. Then I need to start my home study program (self-imposed) to learn more about horses so I can do the best job I can.

Computer is coming soon!!!! Come, UPS guy or gal! Hurry! I want to put this tired, old computer away again. I'm so thankful that I was still able to use it, though. It's been very glitchy but it kept me going all through December. WTG, you old thing you.

Need to get busy. BBL! Love you guys.
Closed Thread