Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #1261
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Storms are great for stuffing your face. I should know cause that's been my focus for days now. I hope it ends (the storm) for you in a few hours. It's basically history here in CT. Night, honey. Thanks for riding out the storm with me.

And thanks to all you kind ladies who sent prayers and hugs! They must have worked!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #1262
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tay65
Stats: On 1/6 - 215.6; current - 208.3 / 1st goal - 199
WOE: Counting calories
Start Date: March 2014
The forecasters said the worst is yet to come! Oh, and found out our kitchen window leaks alot when it rains sideways! Water was all over the floor! Looks like we need to fix that problem.
You wanna know something weird? Our satellite hasn't gone out once! We get a small thunderstorm and it's out and we have this huge storm and not once has it been out! How nuts is that?
Well, I'm off of here for the night. Gonna watch the Golden Girls now.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:26 AM   #1263
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pendragginp
Still with you in heart ladies! Be safe!
Old 10-30-2012, 07:40 AM   #1264
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Made it through the night without losing power. The wind was wild though! I woke up at 3 a.m. and looked outside. Never heard thing after that. Its amazing how I get the best sleep when its storming.
How'd ya do Cheryl?
Old 10-30-2012, 08:22 AM   #1265
Big Yapper!

I had one window like that in the old abode. It was horrible. And the rain would just stream down the backside of the chimney with the sideways rain. Not my problem anymore! Nothing here leaked, unless I haven't found the wet spots yet.

I'm glad you slept great! I did too but by the time I went to bed, it was pretty calm and quiet here. Today I went to look into the back yard to see if any flooding was present and there was NONE. So I fed the pooch and put her out to do her business. She came back in and her paws weren't soggy! No towel drying necessary.

Then as I went around the house opening blinds, I noticed the flag across the street at the fire department. Not much left of it. I'll upload the pic I took and post it afterward. The only real sign of a bad storm having gone through is the stripping of the leaves off trees. (the plural of leaf is leaves, right? Sometimes that doesn't seem right.) And there's some trash blowing around in the yard. I can go pick it up or wait until it blows back out again! Still gusty at times.

I'm so thankful that all the preparations we made were unnecessary. I see on the news all the trouble NYC is having. Subway system is flooded. Ten people dead so far. Houses along the shore caught fire and with the wind, they all went up in smoke, as if they were one. Not sure what else is going on with them but this is the most storm devastation they've had in 108 years or more. The city is basically shut down and won't be back up and running for a while.

Jim Cantore (The Weather Chanel guy) was saying that last night, he was in NYC and looking out over the city and it was completely dark. No lights at all from the power failures. He was shocked at the notion of NYC being "turned off." I would be, too.

So let me try and upload the flag pic and then I'll post it here.

I'm so thankful that we're all okay! Well, you and me, Tammy. NYC, not so much.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #1266
Big Yapper!

I wish I had another flag to donate to them. It's sad to see it like this, but I'm betting flags all over the path of that storm are looking just like this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flag after Hurricane Sandy, 10.29.12 001.JPG (64.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 10-30-2012, 09:41 AM   #1267
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The flag is definitely done for. Now we are going to get snow! Just about an inch though. Kentucky got snow! I never thought a hurricane could cause snow.
I didnt tell you that I was texting my son and he is back in school again. Just a week this time. Its to teach him how to give first aid to wounded soldiers. Idk if I like that. He could end up seeing things he wished he hadn't. Ya know?
Well, glad we made it through the storm! And I pray for those who have to go thru power outages, have lost loved ones and are struggling.
ttyl.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

"He who the Son sets free is free indeed"

Tammy
Old 10-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #1268
Big Yapper!

I'm watching Headline News right now and seeing pictures and video of the devastation in NYC and NJ, as well as the snow inland. Unbelievable. It was as destructive as they were predicting it would be. I'm so thankful to have been spared but crushed, thinking of those who were not. It really is like the Northeast's version of Katrina.

My sister and her husband are without power so they went out to go to the movies (his idea) and she keeps sending me pics of the storm damage as they drive around. It's making me want to go out and do the same thing, but I don't think I will just yet.

Tammy, unfortunately, Shawn is going to see a lot of things he'll wish he hadn't. It's the path he's chosen and it's not going to be pretty. But he knows what to expect and he's doing something very honorable. I believe God enables people to handle things that they need to handle. He'll be okay. It's a good thing that he learns first aid. It will help him even when he's out of the military and living as a civilian.

I'm going to take a break from the computer for a while and maybe head out on a picture-taking tour. We shall see. Later, gators.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #1269
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Glad you escaped the worst of it!! on that flag!! Go hug your doggie and count your blessings!!
Old 10-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #1270
Big Yapper!

AMEN, honey! I am. Cissy actually got some unsolicited attention today. The animal control guy came around and saw her outside, so he stopped and knocked on the door. He had a clipboard and asked me if I was Linda and if she (the dog) was Ashley. I said no and that Linda was the landlady and she lived in another town. Then he asked if Cissy was up to date with her rabies vaccine and I said she was. (She may be out of date by a week or so.) Then he said I needed to take the current rabies vaccine record to the town hall and get her registered. He said if I told them she was a new dog, it would be $8. If I say she's not a new dog, it will cost more. I appreciated how nice he was and that he told me a little something to save a few bucks in the deal. He also said Cissy was a sweet dog so he garnered some favor from me.

I thought it cost a lot more than that to register a dog so I'll go ahead and add that to the list of things I need to do. I always avoided doing that with dogs because to me, it's just another way for the government to tax someone for something that is supposed to be a freedom we can enjoy. Ya know? The dog isn't costing the town any money, so why do I need to pay a tax annually on her? That's all it is.

But he was so nice and non-threatening that I will comply and get her on the books soon. If he was a creep I might not be so willing to follow through.

I may drive up to the farm in an hour and see if I'm needed. I emailed the equine care manager but haven't heard back. I think they are short this afternoon so it won't hurt to go and offer my services. If they don't need me, I'll just come back home.

Last edited by CherylB; 10-30-2012 at 11:25 AM..
Old 10-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #1271
Big Yapper!

PS: As hard a decision as it is, I need to go back to Atkins as my WOE for life. It's something I have to just accept. I need it to feel good and to lose weight. It's not even a matter of vanity. It's about being the healthiest and feeling the best I can for the rest of my life. I know some people have antibodies to certain foods and I'm sure that I have antibodies to grains and starches.

Time to just make the change and make it a positive thing and not a punitive thing. It's not punishment, it's maturity and responsibility. It is also time to go back to the gym...
Old 10-31-2012, 10:39 AM   #1272
Big Yapper!

I did go to the farm yesterday but the stalls were pristine. Someone had worked their tail off in the morning in order to clean up after having the horses inside their stalls for all of Monday, during the hurricane. But I was still put to good use in the paddocks and in grooming them. OMG! They were covered and totally caked with mud from rolling around. I guess they had to get it out of their systems after being cooped up all day.

If I hadn't been there, the staff girl would have been all by herself. I did the right thing. It makes me feel good inside.

Will be starting Atkins again on the 5th of November. Got the pizza party on the 4th and then I start LC again. I will navigate through the holidays the best that I can. I can make my own special foods like I did 3 years ago when I began this weight loss odyssey. Yes. I've been at this for 3 full years. But so much of that time I've spent screwing around.

I was just thinking how I used to have a weight loss ticker in my siggy and remembering how fun it was to come onto LCF and change that number regularly. I miss that!!! I'm going to reinstitute the weight loss ticker on the 5th. I'll weigh in and start where I am. What choice do I have? NONE.

It had been nice and sunny when I woke up but now it's getting dark. We're still getting the outer bands of Sandy, I guess. So thankful we didn't get hit like they said we might. So sorry for those who did.

Last edited by CherylB; 10-31-2012 at 10:40 AM..
Old 11-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #1273
Big Yapper!

I be here again. How is everyone? All's fine here. I did decide to weigh-in and to my horror, I am only 0.6 lbs below the 200's. I know I earned this place on the scale and I'm thankful to God that I'm still "one hundred something." But I'm so out of touch with reality that I won't truly let myself absorb the truth.

But come Monday (love that song) I will begin again on Atkins. No more game playing. No more delusions. No more excuses. And no more shenanigans. Time to pull on my big girl panties and suck it up.

I'm going to start off simply, eating my old favorite dish of scrambled eggs with sauteed onion and cheddar cheese, and microwaved bacon. I put cream and tabasco in the eggs, along with salt and pepper. Then top it with more butter when it hits the plate. I used to eat that so much and I felt it was all I needed to be content.

I'll also make the occasional pizza in a pan. Just melted cheese that gets brown on the bottom and top it with a spoonful of spaghetti sauce and a few slices of pepperoni and some grated cheese. Turn it out onto a paper plate and let it set for a minute. Cut it in fourths and enjoy.

Such foods make it really difficult to eat LC. I hope I can keep things interesting so I can keep it up indefinitely. I know it's the right path for my body. It needs to run on "high octane" and not "regular." Yeah, it costs more but it's worth it.

Actually, my freezer has a bunch of meat in there, and I have bags of frozen veggies, too. All LC ones at that. Cauliflower, just waiting to be cooked up and whipped into a mock mashed potato dish. With mayo and sour cream and cheese.

What am I waiting for??? Go get it, Cheryl! Fetch that life you have been toying with for so long. Take care of yourself, girlfriend. You're worth it. Thank you Lord for the time and opportunity to make things right.

And THIS time, I'll have the gym. I never worked out while doing Atkins at any time in my life! Even back in 1998 when I did it the first time. New territory! Can't wait to see how well the plan works when you do it the way Dr Atkins said it needed to be done. He said and I quote: "If you aren't exercising while doing the Atkins diet, then you aren't doing Atkins."

Last edited by CherylB; 11-01-2012 at 11:41 AM..
Old 11-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #1274
Big Yapper!!!!

Glad you're doing well and spared the brunt of the damage! Glad you're going back to Atkins too. It just plain works, and I too feel better on it. That said, if I get back down to goal I plan to be back to Atkins for life too. I am now, but watching and cutting cals and playing w. macros and cycles etc. until I am "safe". Good for you on the exercise portion!! You'll do great. I'm planning to hit the gym more often when I'm home from Cali. I need it regardless of what it'll do to the scale. I'll work it out .
Old 11-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #1275
Big Yapper!

Thanks, Julie. I love you, sweetie. I'm there for you, too. I hear you struggling and I feel your pain. It will all work out for us. We'll find what works and we'll stay in that zone for the rest of our happy, slim, healthy lives.

Tammy, how are you doing???
Old 11-02-2012, 12:11 AM   #1276
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lola001
Stats: 68.2/67.1/50
WOE: Atkins 72 post preggy
Start Date: begin 15 April 2009
Hi Cheryl
Just popping in for some and support. Let's do this from the 5th!
Old 11-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #1277
Big Yapper!

So nice to see you on my journal thread, Lola! I'm with you! From the 5th onward! I will also recommit to the gym. I let that one slide, too.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #1278
Big Yapper!

Hi, ladies! Happy Friday night! I thought I had posted some of the horse pics I took a few weeks ago with another girl's camera but after going back three pages on my journal, I can't see them. So I must have just posted them on the "horse-lover's thread." So, here are a few that I saved from the girl's facebook page. I only saved the best of the best. And I skipped any that showed the name of the facility.

From left to right, top to bottom:

Charmed and Cowboy
Charmed with the equine care manager (Charmed trying to smile for the camera)
Charmed and Mums
Charmed, Cowboy and one of the staff girls (and owner of the camera I was using)
Cowboy and Chelsea
Cowboy, Chelsea and Ellen (the younger goat)
Ditto
Ellen about to head-butt Cowboy
Ellen looping back to get a running head start (I guess.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charmed and Cowboy.jpg (60.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Charmed and M.E. with flowers.jpg (57.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Charmed and Mums.jpg (54.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Charmed, Cowboy and Chelsea.jpg (82.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Cowboy and Chelsea with flowers.jpg (55.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Cowboy and Ellen with Chelsea.jpg (44.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Ellen and Cowboy.jpg (35.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Ellen charging Cowboy.jpg (31.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Ellen, Cowboy and Chelsea.jpg (34.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 11-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #1279
Big Yapper!

My sister is feeling so bad lately that she has decided to just skip her pizza party altogether and stay home. I think she was going to still go but then she heard that our oldest sister and her husband weren't going to come due to a cough or something that they have. I guess they are sick.

So, I'm going to start Atkins tomorrow, most likely. Why wait until Monday? Don't see any sense in doing that. I'm kind of excited to get this show on the road anyway.

Taking Cisco for her annual shots today, then doing the farm stuff. Windy and cold today but sunny. Will dress warmly. Have a nice day, ladies.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #1280
Big Yapper!

It was COLD at the farm today. And WINDY. I wore a winter sweater with a high neck and took my winter jacket along in case I needed it and I actually did wear it on and off. Winter has arrived. At least it feels that way today!

I decided to start Atkins on Monday because I bought too much food to snarf up today and tonight, even with the extra hour we get by changing the clocks back. I will enjoy tomorrow as I am today and then I start "whole hog" on Monday. I bought some stuff to make my first sausage and kale soup, which is one of my favorite LC things to make. I make a huge batch and eat it for days. LOVE leftovers.

Cissy got all her shots today and the guy screwed up and gave her a rabies vaccine which she wasn't due for until next year. I was P.O'D. I said I wouldn't be paying for that and so I guess it all came out okay. I won't have to buy another rabies shot for three more years. But I was so upset for a long time afterward. I love my dog and I don't want anything bad to happen to her.

Then I stopped at two stores and then took her home and got ready for the farm. I bought Cissy some buffered asprin and I gave her the first dose after she had her dinner tonight. I hope to God she can tolerate it better than the enteric coated kind. She needs something to help ease her hip discomfort. I want my baby to be comfortable.

So, all her money is spent for this month and we just got paid yesterday! I had bought a large bag of kibble before payday so I'm hoping that lasts until I get paid again in December. She has new milk bones, a package of hot dogs, new bags of baby carrots and new marrow bones. She should be all set now for a very good month. God willing!

The mini donkey let out a loud hee-haw-hee-haw today and I had to stop what I was doing and go outside the barn to look at him. I can only imagine how the people who live next door are feeling about the latest member of our family. It was LOUD. So much volume from something so small!

Well, I turned back all my clocks and now I will try and get to bed. Now that it's going to get dark an hour earlier, I need to start waking up an hour earlier to compensate. Wish me luck with that.

Tammy, I read on another thread that you are sick? I hope you are feeling better tonight.

Last edited by CherylB; 11-03-2012 at 07:29 PM..
Old 11-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #1281
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Sounds like a good day Cheryl. Where do you live? We've got almost a foot of snow now... British Columbia. I had to buy a winter jacket & today decided that I need winter boots too. Normally I don't need them, because I usually hate being outside... but I'm changing, and now have a puppy that needs walking... I decided today to give cross-country skiing a try again. Its only been around 15 yrs. since I did it last!
Good deal on the free shot. I guess it won't hurt? How old is your pooch? I had to give my dog aspirin for her last couple of years. It sure helped. Found easy ways to give it to her... usually left-overs, like a spoon of gravy, or peanut butter, sometimes cheese.
I LOVE donkeys! They're so cool! And they will be real protectors of everybody there (except for any canines).
Sounds like you're all set for your diet tomorrow.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #1282
Big Yapper!

I'm in the mid-western part of Connecticut in southern New England (USA). Ah! Yes. That puppy will need to be walked and will need a good snow ball fight on a regular basis. I love to mess with my dog. What kind of dog do you have? Mine's a mutt but the most lovable and precious kind.

Cisco is going to be 10 years old in the beginning of March. I adopted her from a rescue at the age of 8 weeks so I'm just going by when I got her and estimating. I wish I knew what her origins were and what sort of dog she is but it's still anyone's guess.

I had tried giving Cisco enteric coated aspirin with food in the past and I thought she was tolerating it alright and then all of a sudden she was barfing up her food without having digested any. I'm a little slow on the uptake and it didn't become clear for a while. But I'm hoping that the buffered aspirin works better for her. I waited until she had her evening meal of kibble with "gravy" (water) and then after about 10 minutes I slipped an aspirin inside a piece of hot dog. Down the hatch! So far, so good.

I really need it to work because I feel like a bad momma if I can't make her feel better. Ya know? I'm sure you do.

Cross-country skiing? Cool! I've never done that but it seems more my speed than down-hill skiing. I've never done that, either. In fact, there are so many things I've never done.

Donkeys are protectors? I just think he's so cute and comical! There is one dog so I guess we'll have to keep them apart. The dog is not fond of the goats. I guess he doesn't like being charged and head-butted.

I'm just rambling now. I turned my clocks back and it's still after 12, so it's really after 1 am. Just another late night in CT! Diet on Monday. Sunday is another carb-fest. Just couldn't bring myself to dive in when I had so much "good stuff" left to eat.

Off to sleep now. What time is it in BC? Still early yet, huh! You keep that snow up where you live for as long as you can. A little is nice at Christmas, though. In fact, here's a picture I have of my dog in front of the fireplace at the "old abode." (As far as the early rabies shot, they said it won't hurt her. They had better be right.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cisco on Bartlett St.jpg (37.5 KB, 17 views)
Old 11-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #1283
Big Yapper!

Hello, people. I'm finally awake and drinking my cup of coffee. It's a sunny, cold day outside and I have no place to go but the kitchen and the bathroom. I will go to each of these rooms repeatedly and stay warm and snug in my house, enjoying the sunshine through the windows.

So far, Cissy seems to be tolerating the buffered aspirin. I gave her the second dose after lunch today. Her food was in her belly for about 20 minutes before she got the piece of hot dog laced with an aspirin. She's onto me, though. She chewed this hot dog instead of it going straight down the pike. I'll have to watch her like a hawk. Before long, she'll be swallowing the hot dog and spitting out the pill.

Last day of carbs today. Tomorrow I will wake up and make a big Atkins breakfast of scrambled eggs with sauteed onions and mushrooms, cheese, etc and several slices of nuked bacon. Coffee with cream, of course. That will be a great kick-start to this phase of my weight loss journey.

It's been 3 full years of being on this journey, and being with you all on LCF. I thought I was going to stay the course and never backslide but I did the unthinkable. Multiple times. On multiple plans. I got to my lowest of 159.4 one day in September, one year ago. And now I'm nearly 200 again.

I will get it together and head back in the right direction, beginning tomorrow. I will commit. I will "stick." I will grow up! I will be accountable. And I will return to the gym and take it to the next level.

Have a great day, ladies! Stop in if you have a few moments. Would love to hear from you and see how you're doing.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #1284
Big Yapper!

PS: It's hard to remember details of this long journey but I lost a large chunk of the weight with Atkins '72, then went off plan and regained. Got back on Atkins and lost again but stalled completely in the second month. Got angry and fed-up and just wanted the weight off of me, so I decided to try homeopathic hcg and used the pellets. I lost lots of weight on that plan, then switched to my own "summer plan" last year. I continued to lose and that's when I got to my lowest of 159. After that, I lost my Mojo again and regained. I can't even remember the last time I was as low as the 170's. Probably this time last year.

What's done is done. No do-overs in life. Just what we can do today to make things better than we did the time before.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:49 AM   #1285
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lola001
Stats: 68.2/67.1/50
WOE: Atkins 72 post preggy
Start Date: begin 15 April 2009
Hi Cheryl- I agree - no do overs in this life so we pick ourselves up and dust off and carry on. (Gosh I sound like a song!) but true anyway.
Have you worked out what you are going to do for exercise?
I see you have the food nicely worked out. Let's keep each other motivated- especially when the weight loss stalls and we think of bailing out?
I am thinking of dusting off my strength training books and putting together a plan for 3 times a week. Cardio for the rest of the week.
I heard Doc Oz say that lunges are better than sit ups. I tried some at the gym this morning with two 4kg kettlebells. Pretty awesome stuff. I felt old and stiff but I carried on.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #1286
Big Yapper!

Hey, Lola! I love seeing you on my journal thread these days. I am officially on Atkins as of 10 am when I woke up. Drinking coffee right now then will eat my bacon and eggs for lunch. I'm going to try and push myself to make some beanless chili early today so I can enjoy it after I come back from the farm. It is a cold day and that will be a great comfort food after I take my shower.

When I get back in the gym, I'll just keep doing what I was doing. Swim twice a week, weights and cardio twice a week. I was doing good with that routine for over a month and then I just got off track. I know a large part of my insanity is my medical conditions. Chemical imbalances, etc. I have made an appointment with a Dr to see if my meds need to be adjusted or changed entirely. I'm not looking forward to the process but hopefully the result will be worth it.

Lunges are better than sit ups? For the abs? Not sure what he means. I personally hate lunges and stick with the Nautilus machines. I think squats with weights are great and I have heard that walking lunges with weights are great. I might try to work up to those exercises with free weights over time.

Lola, how are things going with your business? Anything happening there? How's hubby and LG? I hope things are no longer all askew in your life and whatever that bad run of luck was caused by is long-gone. That was weird, wasn't it?

It's only in the 30's outside here and it's 11 am. (Not sure what that translates to in Centigrade.) Whatever it is, it's cold! And I have the farm today. I hope it warms up at least to the upper 40's and hope there is little wind. I'm just not ready for winter. Glad the biting insects are gone for the year but not ready to be wrapped head to toe in layers to keep from freezing. Complain, complain, complain!

I'll BBL. Going to force myself to get that chili started. Hope it comes out good without beans! I might have to cut back on the spices a bit (quantity-wise.) I'd be beside myself if I ruined it. Have a wonderful day, ladies!
Old 11-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #1287
Big Yapper!!!!

Bummer it's so cold!! It's early isnt' it? Hope you made that chili. Sounds like a crock pot opportunity!! Good for you getting back to Atkins! I wish you a successful day and lifetime of following your WOE!!

I'm doing well. Decided to allow a larger range in which to maintain and worry about losing to a lower weight at a later time (likely Jan. w. the rest of the world!!). So, I relaxed, had some candy , and dropped 0.5lb. Gotta' love it!!

Hope you have a wonderful time at the farm and know that hot shower when you get home will feel great!
Old 11-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #1288
Big Yapper!

It's not as cold as I thought it would be. I stepped outside to fill up the bird feeder and it's actually very nice! I'll enjoy my day at the farm. I'm making the chili right now. One more hour of simmering without the lid on and I can have a bowl before the farm. I may try to make it in the crock pot someday but I do get impatient. The other problem for me with crock pots is I sleep so late. If you don't start your crock pot meal until noon or 3, you don't eat your food until breakfast the next day!

I know it! I saw your post on your journal from this morning. WTG! Thanks for wishing me success on Atkins again. Not sure if I should call it "doing Atkins" or just saying that I'm "no starch, no sugar, low carb." (As I put in my details to the left.) "Atkins" still conjures up stereotyped images in the minds of those who don't know anything about it. YKWIM?

Yes. A hot shower is definitely something I'll take when I get back home. It will make me sleep so much better, too. And then another bowl of my chili to warm me up from the inside out. I love LC.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #1289
Big Yapper!

Verdict: Yum! At first I just tasted the liquid part of the chili when it was toward the end of the two-hour simmer. It had an odd flavor and took another taste to try to figure out what it was. It was the mushrooms. But when I put the food into a bowl and tasted it all at once, I was amazed at how good it was!

No longer were the mushrooms overpowering. I will make it the exact same way the next time. Oh! And I was short one entire can of tomatoes. The original recipe calls for one can of diced and one can puree. I only had one large can of diced and then a partial can in the refrigerator. It worked out great.

I will be making that again on a regular basis. I will post the recipe here later on tonight, after the farm.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #1290
Big Yapper!

The farm was cold! People had rosy cheeks and wearing hoodies with the string pulled tight around their faces. I wish I could do that without looking like a total dork! I need to buy some hoodies cause I don't even own any. That is going to be changed very soon.

I ate another bowl of chili when I got home and this time I remembered to put cheddar cheese and ACV in it. This is definitely a keeper! Here it is: (If it can stay on my journal and not be moved to the recipe forum, I'd appreciate it.)

Bean-less Chili

2 T veggie oil
2 med. onions, chopped
1 med. red bell pepper
8 oz fresh mushrooms, chopped
6 med. garlic cloves (or 2 T from a jar)
1/3 C chili powder
1 T Cumin (or Curry)
2 t ground coriander
1 t red pepper flakes
1 t dried oregano
1/2 t cayenne pepper
2 lbs ground beef, raw
1 28-oz can of diced tomatoes with juice
1 28-oz can of pureed tomatoes (or crushed)
Salt to taste

* I had no pureed tomatoes and was short about 3/4 of a can and it seemed fine.

Spray a pot with Pam or use a non-stick pot that is large.
Heat oil over med. heat until shimmery but not smoking.
Add onions, peppers, mushrooms and spices. Brown and soften.
Increase heat and add 1/2 of the beef. Brown.
Add the rest of the beef and cook through until no longer pink.
Add tomatoes. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat.
Simmer covered for one hour, stirring occasionally.
Remove cover and continue simmering for one more hour, stirring occasionally.
Taste-test and add salt if needed.

When it is served, add a capful of apple cider vinegar and some small pieces of cheddar cheese. YUM.

The original recipe which had the full 2 cans of tomatoes and 2 cans of rinsed kidney beans served 8. Without the beans and using just over 1 can of diced tomatoes, it would only serve maybe 6.

PS: The veggies really don't brown but when you pile all those spices in at that stage, it seems a little like bad timing. I'd hold off on the spices for a few minutes until you can fry up the veggies in the oil and then add the spices after they've had a few minutes of just softening.
Closed Thread