Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 06:58 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: need2behealthy
Stats: 445/418.9/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01-10-12 (for the last time)
Need2behealthy ~ Not want but Need

Hello,

I have decided to start a journal here on LCF. I used to have a blog when they had the feature but I'm guessing it has gone bye bye!!!

My journey into my new Low Carb lifestyle unfortunately will not begin until the 10th of January. But boy oh boy I am definitely looking forward to it. I actually have a blog which I will be simply incorporating into this journal.

My blog is definitely one that is very raw and truthful. It is difficult for me to put myself out there to anyone and everyone like this but it is something that has to happen. I have made so many excuses over the years and it is something that I NEED to come to an end.

So let this journey begin!!
need2behealthy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
I'm his Princess

Gallery: Dedicated
Stats: Goal is a Healthy Weight!
WOE: Clean Eating!
Start Date: Everyday!
Hey Jean!!!

Thanks for stopping by, I don't post much anymore but I will be here to support you!!!!
Dedicated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:05 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks!!!

Thank you for also stopping by!!! I can use all the support I can get!!!!

Old 01-05-2012, 02:08 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

How 8 Glasses a Day Keeps Fat Away

Incredible as it may seem, water is quite possibly the single most important catalyst in losing weight and keeping it off. Although most of us take it for granted, water may be the only true "magic potion" for permanent weight loss!

Water suppresses the appetite naturally and helps the body metabolize stored fat. Studies have shown that a decrease in water intake will cause fat deposits to increase, while an increase in water intake can actually reduce fat deposits. Here's why: The kidneys can't function properly without enough water. When the kidneys don't work to capacity, some of their load is dumped onto the liver. One of the liver's primary functions is to metabolize stored fat into usable energy for the body. If the liver has to do some of the kidney's work, it can't operate at full throttle. As a result, it metabolizes less fat, more fat remains stored in the body, and weight loss stops. Drinking enough water is the best treatment for fluid retention. When the body gets less water, it perceives this as a threat to survival and begins to hold on to every drop. Water is stored in extra cellular spaces (outside the cells). This shows up as swollen feet, legs and hands. Diuretics offer a temporary solution at best. They force out stored water along with some essential nutrients. Again, the body perceives a threat and will replace the lost water at the first opportunity. Thus, the condition quickly returns. The best way to overcome the problem of water retention is to give the body what it needs.PLENTY OF WATER. Only then will the stored water be released. If you have a constant problem with water retention, excess salt may be to blame. Your body will tolerate sodium only in a certain concentration. The more salt you eat, the more water your system retains to dilute it. But getting rid of un-needed salt is easy - just drink more water. As it's forced through the kidneys, it takes away excess sodium. The overweight person needs more water than the thin one! Larger people have larger metabolic loads. Since we know that water is the key to fat metabolism, it follows that the overweight person needs more water. Water helps maintain proper muscle tone by giving muscles their natural ability to contract and by preventing dehydration. It also helps to prevent the sagging skin that usually follows weight loss - shrinking cells are buoyed by water, which plumps the skin and leaves it clear, healthy, and resilient. Water helps rid the body of waste. During weight loss, the body has a lot more waste to get rid of - all the metabolized fat must be shed. Again, adequate water helps flush out the waste. Water can help relieve constipation. When the body gets too little water, it siphons what it needs from internal sources. The colon is one primary source. Result? Constipation. But, when a person gets enough water, normal bowel functions returns. So far, we've discovered some remarkable truths about water and weight loss:

The body will not function properly without enough water and can't metabolize stored fat efficiently.

Retained water shows up as excess weight.

To get rid of excess water you must drink more water.

Drinking water is essential to weight loss. How much water is enough??

On the average, a person should drink eight 8-ounce glasses every day. That's about 2 quarts. However, the overweight person needs one additional glass for every 25 pounds of excess weight. The amount you drink also should be increased if you exercise briskly or if the weather is hot and dry. Water should preferably be cold - it's absorbed into the system more quickly than warm water. And some evidence suggests that drinking cold water can actually help burn calories. When the body gets the water it needs to function optimally, its fluids are perfectly balanced. Once this happens you have reached the "breakthrough point". What does this mean?

Endocrine-gland function improves.

Fluid retention is alleviated as stored water is lost.

More fat is used as fuel because the liver is free to metabolize stored fat.

Natural thirst returns.

There is loss of hunger almost overnight.

If you stop drinking enough water, your body fluids will be thrown out of balance again, and you may experience fluid retention, unexplained weight gain and loss of thirst. To remedy the situation you'll have to go back and force another "breakthrough".

By Donald S. Robertson, M.D., M. Sc

Last edited by need2behealthy; 01-05-2012 at 02:10 AM..
Old 01-05-2012, 02:13 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Water Math - Holy Smokes!!!

According to my most recent posting from Dr. Robertson MD in regard to water intake I have to follow the following formula:
"On the average, a person should drink eight 8-ounce glasses every day. That's about 2 quarts. However, the overweight person needs one additional glass for every 25 pounds of excess weight."

I am 275 pounds overweight; therefore, I would need to take 275 pounds and divide it by 25 which equals 11 addition 8- ounce glasses for a Grand total of 152 ounces of water a day.

Holy smokes when am I supposed to eat? I guess it is time to get a water trough!!! ;o)
Old 01-05-2012, 05:32 AM   #6
I'm his Princess

Hey Jean!

How are you today?

I need to get my water in too, going to fill up the water bottle now!
Old 01-05-2012, 07:32 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Hey Cle

I'm blessed!!! Thank You!!! As I get closer and closer to my D-Day the more and more I get anxious. How are you doing today?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Jean you can do this, I was close to your weight and somehow I managed to lose a ton of weight, one thing it will come off quickly in the beginning,and yes you need more than a gallon of water a day, water is the #1 thing, it is the only vehicle, pee, that gets rids of your fat!

I am glad you joined the challenge, I know you will get lots of love, support and encouragement, it is a long road, but I can tell you it take a mindset and a lifestyle change and it can be done!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thank you so much Bejewel!! I appreciate it. I am super excited about the challenge. I totally loved your video. I'm all about being a BAHB!!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Popping in to wish you strength and love on your journey. It's a tough road but aren't you worth it? YES! You can do this, always remember your value especially when the weight seems to want to hang on, one foot in front of the other and you'll get there. I'm a BAHB too so we're in it together!
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

My Weigh Dilemma ~ 440 or 550 Pound Scale

I want my scale MY WEIGH Hee Hee!!!

A 550 pound scale I'm thinking is going to be necessary as I am exactly 5 pounds over the 440 Pound scale.

So now here is the challenge. Should I try to acquire the 440 scale and use that as an incentive which essentially means I can't weigh myself until I reach 440. Which might be the case anyway because of financial reasons.

Regardless I have to acquire one of these scales soon!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #12

Where did you weigh to know you are over? Maybe just keep weighing there and get down to the old scale so you can save the money for new clothes? I checked out your blog, I have a question, why the 9th? Why is that the day you start? Why not now? I saw you were struggling with what to eat between now and then, I can tell you coming off a week of eating whatever I wanted, it is so not worth it, I say buckle down and get on it today!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Hi Danielle,

Thanks for popping by and showing the love!! I have to say I am super excited about being a BAHB!!! I look forward to sharing my journey with you!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
Where did you weigh to know you are over? Maybe just keep weighing there and get down to the old scale so you can save the money for new clothes? I checked out your blog, I have a question, why the 9th? Why is that the day you start? Why not now? I saw you were struggling with what to eat between now and then, I can tell you coming off a week of eating whatever I wanted, it is so not worth it, I say buckle down and get on it today!
Hi Bejewel,

I was weighed at the hospital about 2 weeks ago. I love your idea about the old scale and using it to buy new clothes only thing is I don't have one at all. I definitely need to acquire a scale so that I can see my progress. My start date is actually the 10th and it is all about money. I have purchased all of my food items to last me until I get paid which is the 10th and unfortunately it is either eat or not. lol!!!

You are absolutely right!!! I guess I could just eliminate now. I have a minimal amount of protein that is the problem. Unfortunately didn't plan properly. But when the 10th comes around boy oh boy!!! Thank you for your post you have definitely given me something to think about.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #15

I gotcha, it does help to have a clear vision and fully stocked arsenal, but I dont want to see you stuff it all in like there is no tomorrow, I have done that too many times. Try to start now curbing some desires for sugar or starch whatever it is that you love, and pretend you are eating LC, maybe the visualization will help you.

I can relate to finances, trust me, one thing, one of the best LC foods you can eat is eggs, so stock up, I go through a ton of eggs but they are like the one thing that is still a bargain at the grocery store, and so versatile. Meat is pricey but when you think about all the junk you wont be buying that helps too, it is sort of trade off.

About the scale, go to hospital and get weighed, and get the 440 pound, you are a honey badger, you dont need a 550 pound scale, you are only going down, you could easily lose 30 pounds your first 2 weeks if you do it properly, always think lower not higher!

I so can relate to where you are at, more than you know!!!! I made this last week, I get so discouraged sometimes where I am at and when I let food still get the best of me, so I put this together, I am not sure what weight I was-but it was more than 350 I refused to go to the truck dock at the hopsital to be weighed, I left there in tears, I was going to have my tubes tied, and at the pre op they weighed me, I was more than 350. In the black dress that was last New Years, I was porked into an 18, I was shocked at that, I had lost about 80 pounds at that point, the red was this Christmas, size 12 baby! I lost about 70 pounds this past year. It is one day one step at a time, when you have significant weight to lose the mountain seems insurmountable, but you do it one day, one bite, one step, and before you know it, time is passing and you are shrinking!
I really want to support you and can't wait to cheer you as you blossom into the beautiful flower that you are!!!!

Old 01-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Wowwwww!!!!

Quote:
I gotcha, it does help to have a clear vision and fully stocked arsenal, but I dont want to see you stuff it all in like there is no tomorrow, I have done that too many times. Try to start now curbing some desires for sugar or starch whatever it is that you love, and pretend you are eating LC, maybe the visualization will help you.

I can relate to finances, trust me, one thing, one of the best LC foods you can eat is eggs, so stock up, I go through a ton of eggs but they are like the one thing that is still a bargain at the grocery store, and so versatile. Meat is pricey but when you think about all the junk you wont be buying that helps too, it is sort of trade off.

About the scale, go to hospital and get weighed, and get the 440 pound, you are a honey badger, you dont need a 550 pound scale, you are only going down, you could easily lose 30 pounds your first 2 weeks if you do it properly, always think lower not higher!

I so can relate to where you are at, more than you know!!!! I made this last week, I get so discouraged sometimes where I am at and when I let food still get the best of me, so I put this together, I am not sure what weight I was-but it was more than 350 I refused to go to the truck dock at the hopsital to be weighed, I left there in tears, I was going to have my tubes tied, and at the pre op they weighed me, I was more than 350. In the black dress that was last New Years, I was porked into an 18, I was shocked at that, I had lost about 80 pounds at that point, the red was this Christmas, size 12 baby! I lost about 70 pounds this past year. It is one day one step at a time, when you have significant weight to lose the mountain seems insurmountable, but you do it one day, one bite, one step, and before you know it, time is passing and you are shrinking!
I really want to support you and can't wait to cheer you as you blossom into the beautiful flower that you are!!!!

:h ugs:

First off I have to say I am so overwhelmed by your words. My initial response before reading your reply was holy motty what a hotty!!! I even called my husban over to take a look to show him how awesome you look!!!

Well done my dear!! Well Done!!!

So he and I were looking at your pics and then I began to read your response and totally started crying. Bless your heart for such kind words and what an inspiration you are. I am looking so forward to my journey especially now having my BAHB's in my corner. Thank you Thank You for just taking the time I truly appreciate it!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #17
I'm his Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by need2behealthy View Post
I'm blessed!!! Thank You!!! As I get closer and closer to my D-Day the more and more I get anxious. How are you doing today?
I'm doing well, on plan today thinking about meatloaf or burgers for dinner.

Hope your day was well!
Old 01-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #18
I'm his Princess

Quote:

You are inspiring and you look amazing!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Hey Cle,

Sounds yummy!!!! Have a great evening!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #20
I'm his Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by need2behealthy View Post
Hey Cle,

Sounds yummy!!!! Have a great evening!!!
you too!
Old 01-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

I'm all about the pinterest

I am so excited I now have a Pinterest account!!!

It took about 2 weeks but that's ok!!!

I'm going Pin crazy!!! Feel free to follow!!!

Need2behealthy Pinterest
Old 01-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #22

I am glad to help you, I so know what you are feeling I was so there!!! And I am telling you it is all in your head, you have to talk yourself into the choices everyday, I got no magical powers, OK now I think I am wonder woman, but I am 43, I was 42 when I joined last year, so you can do it!!!
I will be cheering you and kicking your ass the whole way!!! LOL
Old 01-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Things I miss!!! That I WILL do again!

Being obese, there are so many things that I can't do that I will be able to do again. I'm sure this list will be an evolving one.

Crossing my legs - I miss crossing my legs. Crossing my legs to me is such a lady like thing to do.
Riding amusement rides - I used to be a Magic Mountain junkie. I think about the fact that my daughter has never been to any of my childhood favorite spots and that is basically because I can't enjoy it with her right now.
Taking a shower effortlessly - When I shower it's like I walked a mile it is something that is so tasking for me.
Grocery Shopping - I do still grocery shop but not without an electric buggy.
Dancing - I used to be that chick that would be on the dance floor for hours (especially if the music was right) Now I dance in my chair
Strutting - When I used to walk, I walked into a room as if I was the one paying the bills, it was a level of confidence that I had. Now I walk with so much pain that it strutting is the last thing on my mind or for that matter that I am even capable to do.

As I mentioned I am sure this list is going to be one that will continually grow. Oh how I can't wait to my change of life begins.

3-days to D-day!
Old 01-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #24

That is a good list!

Here were some of mine:

Not being able to fit in a booth at a restaurant

People asking when the baby is due!

Asking for a seat extender on an airplane

Fitting in an airplane bathroom

Being able to walk all over NYC and shop without worrying when my legs and feet would hurt

Running

Jumping

Wondering if a plastic lawn chair would hold my fat butt

Being too fat to ride the dolphin at the swim with the dolphins in Mexico that I paid $150 to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not being able to haul myself up on a catamaran in the Caribbean! And needing 4 little guys to heave to pull me in!

Finding out I was not a jellyfish but I have bones, actual bones!!!- I could never feel them before! That is the most exciting thing, laying in bed and saying what is this bone or this muscle? LOL

Not being able to sleep on an air mattress

Shopping only at Lane Giant and Avenue, I will never set foot in those 2 stores again!!!!!!!

Watching football and they talked about a 300 pound big bruiser and I thought I wish I was as big as him!

All these are now checked, except for a few little skinny running backs in the NFL, LOL Your list will be checked too!!! You will do it!!!!
Old 01-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

OMG Amber!!! I have to add these to my blog the only one I would change is the seat extender because I have gone past the seat extender and now also have to purchase two tickets when I fly.

You are such an amazing inspiration. You give me hope. You are not someone that hasn't been there. You have actually been there. Wow!!! Overwhelmed again!!!
Old 01-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Find a place inside where their is joy and the joy will burn out the pain. - Joseph Campbell

I have to apply this to my exercise. I am so fearful of the pain I'm going to endure that I have to think that the eventual joy I will receive from being mobile will be so worth it. I will actually be able to feel as if I have a life.

I miss having a life. I have a plan to relocate to 40 acres in New Mexico where I hope to be able to have gardens, atv's, crafts, chickens, and horses.

These things are my dream. I have to be able to be active to live my dream.

2 days to D-Day!
Old 01-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bekki1
Stats: 172.1/156.2/150
WOE: HCG
Start Date: 4/9/12
You can do this!
bekki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #28

Look at Biggest Loser there are some large people on their, 500, 600 pounds and they do it, they probably feel like crap but everyday they do it, just start slow, start walking, even if you can only walk around the yard, and then the next day see an object and say I am going to walk to that, and keep pushing yourself, you will be amazed how quickly you will be bale to push yourself going a little further each day! Get some light hand weights and start using your arms, or get some big cans and start lifting them, just do it like 20 times then rest then do it again, you are going to have to start slowly to avoid injury, or if you can find a place to go work out, many health centers have gyms for people in rehab that might be a good option, to work with a physical therapist to start moving!
I am excited for you, I want the 10th to come already!

Honey Badger weigh in tomorrow!!!! DOesnt matter if you lost or gained it matters that you are there!!!
Old 01-09-2012, 05:21 AM   #29
I'm his Princess

Morning Jean!

How was your weekend?
Old 01-09-2012, 06:35 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Hey Cle,

It was completely uneventful but restful. How about yours?