Old 12-20-2011, 10:08 AM   #301
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue10 View Post
Okay please do not let the yelling commence.....
i have been away b/c of School #1
#2 I had an emergency apedectomy 2 weeks ago.
Yes Boys and girls I had my appendix out. I am getting back to normal, but with me having the Surgery on a Saturday am
then having to stop taking the pain meds on that tuesday just so I could retain some of what I had to study b/c of a missed class.......
BTW
I got my final grades
ENG111 College English = A
NAS161 Anatomy & physiology = B
BS(SDV100) College course = A
So my GPA is 3.5
Not too shabby.
Anywho I have missed the boards I'm sure it will take me FOR FRIKKIN EVER to catch up but I will do my best.
LOVE YOU GUYS AND MISSED YOU TOO!!!
Congratulations on the wonderful grades and sympathy for having to go through surgery. I hope you are well on your way to recovery.

Welcome Back.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2011, 10:39 AM   #302
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Martini72
Stats: ut ohh/aww shucks/wow
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: September 201o
Yeah!!! GOOD JOB STICKING TO CASH!!!!

Stupid Boss is a stanky, frogg breathed, goose livered, polecat!!! Smile and nod. I cry when angered at work too and am so mad at me when it happens. Not your fault. Just stay calm, over nice....and sweeeet like u are.

Turkey Hill!!!! Limited Edition LIGHT Peach Mango ...WITH VODKA ROCKS

OK so WEgman's GET THERE ASAP AMBER!!!! CHOPPED SALADS!!!! A HUGE SALAD...Southwestern, Asian, and Broccoli!!!! 10 ounce of salad $3!!!!

As much as I don't like cilantro the Southewestern rocked my lunch!!!! Nappa cabbage, romaine, carrots (just for color), \(pumpkin seeds& totilla strips (packed seperately), SO FREAKING GOOD!!! Dressing was gross but we used Balsamic. I treated my admin to lunch but bringing it in.

I feel you on after the holidays I;m ready. Trying to good but these cookie swaps and birthday and Christmas parties..whooooo. I had one danish yesterday and 2 cookies this morning. Other than that I;m staying as good as one can during this season.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #303
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BigBlue10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
Congratulations on the wonderful grades and sympathy for having to go through surgery. I hope you are well on your way to recovery.

Welcome Back.

Thank you - I didn't mean to hijack the thread but it was a cut an paste job - Blame HTML.

AMBER!!!!!!

Quote:
Boiled Peanuts, all 3 carbs, 2 fiber, 1 net carb on 1/2 can, OMG I cant wait to heat those suckers up and eat them, now when the boys are munching I will be in a briney sloppy mess, you either love boiled peanuts or hate them, and I freaking love them! Where are my Southern Girls? Kristi and Cee Cee do you guys love them? OMG
I WOULD KILL FOR BOILED PEANUT! I lived in GA for 2 years I can eat a whole bag and go back for more! (terrible i know!)
Old 12-20-2011, 11:52 AM   #304
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: glamazon
Stats: 290/279/195 ** 6'2
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 5/25/2014
I've never had boiled peanuts! Are they just, uh, boiled peanuts? Or are they some special breed or preparation?
Old 12-20-2011, 11:57 AM   #305
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Matrigna
Stats: 220/138/120
Amber, I LOVE boiled peanuts. I don't think being a Baltimore girl qualifies me as southern.... my best friend's family is from the south so I grew up eating them at her house. They always made the best food!

Hugs to your Nanner! This is my second Christmas without my grandma but she used to make the BEST polish and italian Christmas cookies (she was the full Polish grandparent, the blonde hair blue eyed one of the bunch... the rest of them were full italian).

I'm not baking cookies because I know myself TOO well! I have a whole file of my dad and grandma's recipes, but no low carb friendlies in the bunch! I am, however, making the magic cookie bars for everyone else (you know the recipe on the back of the Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk?) and that will be hard enough to stay clear of! I'm also planning to make Linda Sue's Mom's Cheese Pie though I am making everyone else stuffed manicotti and I'm going to splurge and plop some ricotta mixture on some dreamfields rigatoni and bake it for me.... can't find the Dreamfields lasagna noodles anywhere and not enough time to order. The sauce and meat will be low-carb friendly, and I'm making cauliflower/asparagus/pine-nuts for a side. So I think I'm going to be okay

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."
Old 12-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #306
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Matrigna
Stats: 220/138/120
Angela, you have to find green peanuts and boil them. When I first tried to do them on my own I was like what am I doing wrong?! (Using already roasted peanuts! LOL)
Old 12-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #307
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

aaaaaaah, green peanuts, okay. I don't think there is such a thing in Oregon. I think a visit to the South is in order!
Old 12-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #308
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WittyKitty
Stats: 252/212/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 25, 2011
Omigod - did I fall behind. Amber you are always sooooo busy! So many things I should/could say and all I can think of is TUNA! I put mayo, onions and last minute add walnuts to my tuna and eat in pita bread!
Years ago with work, I had a similar problem. I was averaging a 60 hour work week and still could not please that boss. I was the only women at the company doing sales. I was averaging 60 hours a week Got my resume out there and told that b****** goodby. Landed the best job ever! Course there were lots of jobs back then.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #309
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kmcentire
Stats: 223/192/175
Hey Amber!!! So glad you had a great trip and wooohoooo on the money!!! So glad you kept the diamond and the Rolex!!!!

I LOVE boiled peanuts. I boiled some Sunday. I have a coworker that got me a bag of raw peanuts from Plains. They were already shelled. You can do some damage when they are already shelled!!!

Hope your meeting went well today!
Old 12-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #310
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: RenoMom
Stats: 300/294/199
WOE: JUDDD started 300
Start Date: 4/29/13
I am amazed at your progress, you have put so much work and determination into your weightloss and it shows. You should be very proud, what a life you have created for you and your family. I dream that one day I can hear my children tell me how proud they are or amazed that I can do certain things. I am pushing 300 and feel and look horrible. I have to get serious about this journey. Can you tell me where you started? Do you have journal from the beginning that I could read? You are such an inspiration, Thank you.

" Give God what's right, not what's left"
Old 12-20-2011, 04:06 PM   #311
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Om gosh girls, I was away all day and look at all this how am I going to remember it all?

Better start with the back and work up!!!

Reno Mom- You can so do this, I was over 350, I was 305 when I started last year, a year can make a world of difference!!!!!! For another you are a beautiful girl, dont be down on yourself, just resolve to change!!!! You can do it, yes there are 2 other journals, Bejewelme's Journey to Skinny Bride, Parts I& II a whole lot of warbling going on!!!!

First thing, had the meeting at guess what time? 3:30 when I leave, so I didnt get home til 5:45 OMG I was so mad, it is raining and I had to call Bobby, but we had the darn meeting, and I feel so much better, thank you God and baby Jesus!!!!!

I laid it all out there, he fully admitted he is totally out of his element, he never relaly looked at the stuff, he basically is doing what the dick head marketing girl tells him, I showed him what I did 5 years ago, I said I want to help you, let me help you wit what I have already been through! He said well you are doing your job several new accounts have opened, no ****??? They are the ones I called, not the one son the darn lists, so he admitted he is going to communicate better and I told him if he wants to pull me from the lighting stuff he needs to tell the customers that not me! He agreed and then it was back to well just keep doing what you are doing, no ****? LOL But I am feeling TONS TONS TONS better thank goodness, now I can get on with the holidays and he is happy and he is going to wokr on better communication, amen!!!!!

Ok, gotta go take notes, so I can respond to all my girlies!!!!
Old 12-20-2011, 04:13 PM   #312
Major LCF Poster!

RenoMom - Here the link I had bookmarked for Amber. I read all of her posts - quite a story. Bejewelme's Journey to Skinny Bride

So glad you got to have a "chat" with your boss, Amber. Hopefully all will be well in 2012!!

When is the Atkins story going to appear? I think you said something about the 20th of December??

Hugs
Old 12-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #313

RP- Thanks for thinking of me today I was a mess and so glad its over, LOL I hope you had a good day off!!!

SB- what can I say you just always make me smile, you are always like a warm hug even through the internet!!!!!

Dren- OMG girl you have a great trip up North here and enjoy your visit with your daughter, I will hope for you it snows!!!! I love snow on Christmas!!!! I know you are going to enjoy every minute, Boston is a great city!! Merry Christmas to you!!!!

Janet- thanks for thinking of me!!!

Danielle- love that about your Gram too!! Isnt it great I hope I am fiesty in my 80's!!!

Meg- love that your Gram was well taken care of and still getting around, how are you feeling???

Glam- why the tangerine, and walnut and foil coin? Is there anything special about those items that your Mom chose them?? That is cool, I love that- I love traditions that carry over!!!

I think in honor of all our Grams we should all put oranges in all our loved one's stockings this year and start a tradition to honor what used to be!!! Grams rock!!! And so do oranges for Christmas, I wonder why?? Maybe cause oranges were not around here that much being up North? Like they had to get to all these cold places from some where warm??? Better research that!!!

Cee Cee- I can so see you being Mary!!!! I love it!!!!

Alisa- OMG Polish and Italian roots spells some really yummy food! Yeah I cant bake this year I just eat them if they are sitting around, but the ones that cross me from someone get eaten!!! LOL I wish you were closer, do you have Giant's they have DF lasagna noodles not all the time so I buy them when they have it! I stock up on all varieties!!! You are looking super girlie!!!! I must get your gift mailed!

Coleen- walnuts-the one nut I am allergic to they give me mouth sores, I love them though, I love pecans in chicken salad, another tuna option, I must keep embracing the tuna!!!!!! I love the ideas!!!! I mist get your candy mailed!!! LOL

girls I am a little behind!!! I will get them too you I didnt forget I cant get to the darn PO before it closes, I will get there next week!!!!

Kristi- there is my boiled peanut girl!!! OMG I cant imagine them out of the shell already I would eat gobs! When ever we would drive to FL or Myrtle Beach we would stop it would shut me up for a good 2 hours keeping busy making a mess eating them, LOL I never tried boiling them, mainly cause I can never find raw peanuts around here, I know it is like a brine solution, water, salt, and spices, and I love them warm, Tony hates them and thinks I am nuts!! LOL

CHRISTINA___________ OMG hun I am so sorry you went through surgery and had all that to deal with, I was like WTH? I am just glad you are OK and you did a great job in school, very proud of you!!! I missed you and I am glad you are back!!!

Martini- a tini post!! Yum Tony is near the Wegmans I will tell him to bring some home, I know its tough but you can do it, holidays are so steeped in tradition and food, but eat what you enjoy and then we are beating your butt and mine come Jan!! Deal???

I love my girls, you are all so there for me, I am so glad I can quit being nuts up now about this job thing!

OMG another thing so my pic was suppose to be up today it wasnt, so I wrote the girl in marketing, she said they are relaunching and revamping their website and it should be up this week, so I will check everyday, Cheri the admin from here is on there now, go to the website, under programs and then success stories, scroll down and you will see her story, yeah Cheri rocks!!!!

Whew that was a lot!!! Sorry about the typos, cant spell check, might lose it all, LOL

Hugs girlies, we are getting there, almost Christmas!!!!

Last edited by Bejewelme; 12-20-2011 at 04:44 PM..
Old 12-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #314

Why Do We Hang Christmas Stockings by the Fireplace?
Legend has it that Saint Nicholas loved to give gifts. To prevent people from learning where these gifts came from, he would leave them at night. Others say that the reason he would leave gifts at night is because he was very shy, and wanted to give money to poor people without them knowing about it. The reason we use Christmas Stockings is told below.

The Legend of Christmas Stockings
One well accepted legend tells about a kindly nobleman whose wife had died of an illness leaving the nobleman and his three daughters in despair. After losing all his money in useless and bad inventions the family had to move into a peasant's cottage, where the daughters did their own cooking, sewing and cleaning.

When it came time for the daughters to marry, the father became even more depressed as his daughters could not marry. At this time the only way a woman could marry was if she had a dowry (money and property given to the new husband's family).

One night after the daughters had washed out their clothing they hung their stockings over the fireplace to dry. That night Saint Nicholas, knowing the despair of the father, stopped by the nobleman's house. Looking in the window Saint Nicholas saw that the family had gone to bed. He also noticed the daughters stockings. Inspiration struck Saint Nicholas and he took three small bags of gold coins from his pouch and threw them one by one down the chimney and they landed in the stockings.

The next morning when the daughters awoke they found their stockings contained enough gold for them to get married. The nobleman was able to see his three daughters marry and he lived a long and happy life. Word quickly spread of this good fortune and soon people all through the village were hanging their stockings by the fire in hopes that Saint Nicholas would leave them treasures also.

From this was born the legend of Santa coming down the chimney and placing gifts in children's Christmas Stockings.

The Items in your Christmas Stockings
Some people believe that an orange in the toe of Christmas stockings symbolize the lump of gold Saint Nicholas left for the girls. Others believe that an apple in the toe of your stocking and an orange in the heel means that you have been good. Up until lately, it was traditional to receive small items like fruit, nuts and candy in your Christmas stockings, but these have been replaced in the last half-century by more expensive gifts in many homes.

Many believe the tradition of a lump of coal in the Christmas stockings of naughty children comes from Italy.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:34 PM   #315

Foods & Nutrition Encyclopedia, by Audrey Ensminger, et al., which indicated that by the 1880s, oranges were in plentiful enough supply in the United States, coming from the new states of Florida and California, that they could be shipped across the country via the new transcontinental railway system. So clearly, Santa Claus, working with the local seasonal availability of fresh oranges around winter time and the newly available transportation system, took advantage of those and tucked oranges into the socks and stockings of many American boys and girls on Christmas Eve around the country. With the exception of those too poor for any stocking, and those too rich for real fruit, most American children were lucky enough to get a fresh orange, tangerine or Clementine at the bottom of their stocking on Christmas by the twentieth century.

OK, so economically, we understand why oranges became available in the late 19th century in the United States. How did they get into these traditional stockings? Many different sources tell a very old story about Nicholas, who was born in a village on the shore of what is now part of Turkey. He inherited a fortune, but spent his life helping the poor and the persecuted, and eventually became a bishop in the new Christian church.

The most relevant story (for us) about Bishop Nicholas is that he learned of a poor man with three daughters who had no dowries and hence could not marry. The next night (here the stories diverge but I will convey the most entertaining) Nicholas returned and tossed three bags of gold for the daughters' dowries through the chimney which happened to land in the stockings of the three maidens which they had hung to dry in front of the fireplace. The bags of gold turned into balls of gold which are now symbolized by oranges. Bishop Nicholas is often portrayed in pictures wearing the red ceremonial robes and miter (or headdress) and holding the staff of a bishop as well as holding three gold balls, gold coins, or pieces of fruit.

Nicholas lived a long life, died of natural causes, was canonized and made a saint, so we know this same man, born in Turkey in the 4th century, as Saint Nicholas. Most of us know that St. Nicholas became, over time, our good friend Santa Claus. We know it's the same person because you still get those oranges in your stocking, don't you? What a delicious counterpoint to all the chocolate and candy!
Old 12-20-2011, 04:36 PM   #316

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
Christina: Great grades for dealing with that. Hoping you are healing ok.

I'm now thinking it is diet mango/peach green tea....haven't had any here for a bit. Will have to look next shopping trip!

Glad you had your meeting. Now, you can relax and get on with what you need to do.

Steelers lost Hoping for a better game this weekend. They should have pulled Ben out for part of the game.

Cool research on the oranges and stockings! I think you should start that tradition! Something to carry on your gram's Christmas.

Last edited by kittycitygirl; 12-20-2011 at 04:39 PM..
Old 12-20-2011, 04:38 PM   #317
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
Start Date: 8/22/14
Phew! I'm tired after reading all that! LOL

I can only hope I'm as feisty as my Gram, she is somethin else. Altho, Bryan will tell you that I am well on my way!

That's funny that you said that about doing the oranges this year, just got back from the grocery and saw oranges and thought of everyone here. what lovely traditions some of you girls have here, thank you for sharing!

Didja see!!!! Christina is BACK!!!! So happy!!!!!
Old 12-20-2011, 04:41 PM   #318

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
Those that can, enjoy every minute you can with your Grams and Paps. Wish I had mine My kids don't even have theirs. Our parents are gone too
Old 12-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #319
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I remember the orange being a big deal at Christmas in the Little House on the Prairie books, so it is an old old tradition.

The tangerine, walnut and sweets are a longstanding European tradition to stuff the toes of the socks... my family has always done it, and we're probably not the only ones... my Gram was born 1928 and they always did it.

Funny how us newfangled generations move so fast now all the sweet old traditions and their meanings are lost to us.

Last edited by glamazon; 12-20-2011 at 04:45 PM..
Old 12-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #320

Aww Kitty I am sorry, it sucks, I am so glad we have nan, she is so darn cute, I said Nan how much candy did you eat today?? I swear she ate half the box, LOL She did have an orange, victory!!!! LOL

Yes I saw Christina is back, yeah!!!!
Old 12-21-2011, 03:04 AM   #321

Weight: 202.4

Dont know how or why but taking that and marching on, no gym last night, got home late and was exhausted from the boss stuff, so maybe that helped, or all the walking in NYC, who knows but I am taking it and staying out of the cookies today and saving for the good stuff!!!! I had Dream fields, 3 meals in a row and have more for lunch maybe it is that? Who knows, I love that stuff man, as long as I measure it seems to be fine!
Old 12-21-2011, 03:50 AM   #322
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meg2039
Stats: 218/186/155
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: 11/2/13
Nice research on the orange in the stocking!
202.4. that is great!! There is a whole lot of fluctuation going on around here! When it bounces in the right direction, super bonus! I have never tried dreamfields. I think thye sell it at wegmans...Maybe next year I will give it a whirl!
Have a great Wednesday!
Meg
Old 12-21-2011, 05:38 AM   #323
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
Start Date: January 19, 2011
I am thrilled for you that you had a good convo with the new boss. It really sounds like he just needed you to set him on the right path!

I love the history of the orange I might have to give some oranges out now!
Old 12-21-2011, 05:39 AM   #324
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ceecee08
Stats: 292.6/284.7/170 5'9
Start Date: Restart 1/4/2013
Good Morning Amber!!

Have a great day!!! YAY for the boss "understanding". Hopefully that "understanding" last!!! GEESH!! Nobody has time to keep reminding him of his JOB!!
Old 12-21-2011, 07:20 AM   #325
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Morning, Amber!
Old 12-21-2011, 07:32 AM   #326
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mama_2_3
So glad you had a nice talk with the boss. Now you really can relax for the holidays with no extra job stresses, at least.

Thanks for sharing the orange stories. We all need reminders now and then about how simple things used to be- especially around the holidays.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:16 AM   #327
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Martini72
Stats: ut ohh/aww shucks/wow
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: September 201o
WEGMAN'S CHOPPED SALAD!!!! GET EVERY FLAVOR!!! LOL Don't use the dressing, toooo much sugar and carbs, but Garden broccoli was AMAZING!!!! Comes with bacon!!!!! I shed a little tear when it was all gone!!!

GLAD THE BOSS THING IS WORKING!!!! OMG 202!!!! YOU ROCK!!!
Old 12-21-2011, 08:35 AM   #328
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
Start Date: 8/22/14
Man, I love me some Dreamfields I have to measure it tho or I get into trouble! Glad you seem to be doing ok with it mama!

So thrilled that the boss thing went ok and you can now enjoy your holidays without that added stress. Also, really happy to hear that he owned up to things on his end and is willing to work on things! Bonus!
Old 12-21-2011, 08:53 AM   #329
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: writermom
Stats: 196/187/145 5'5
WOE: WW PP
Start Date: November 15, 2010
Loving the 202.4

Have a great day!
Old 12-21-2011, 08:59 AM   #330
Major LCF Poster!

Good Morning Amber and everyone else

Thanks for all of the research on oranges and St. Nick. We were just talking about where the legend of Santa Claus came from.

Yay for 202 - the scale is definitely going in the right direction again. It seems to be stuck at my house, but that is OK considering all that has been going on eating wise.

Hugs to ALL
Closed Thread