Old 11-19-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meg2039
Stats: 218/186/155
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: 11/2/13
Meg's Journal-Journey to Goal

Hi,
My Name is Meg. I am 3 weeks in to Atkins. I have really enjoyed reading everyone's journals. So inspiring. So I decided (with some encouragement!) to start one of my own.
A little about me:
I feel like I have been battling with weight my entire life. I didn't get REALLY fat until I hit my 30's,though. Looking back, I would kill to be the weight I was back in the day when I thought I was so fat! I am curvy, and probably at least 15-20lbs over my ideal weight since high school, maybe a bit more during college(when I really started yo-yoing) and then boom! I ended up 80lbs overweight in what seemed like a matter of months (I'm sure it took longer than that...It's funny how your mind re-writes history! That's one of the reasons I think this Journal will be so helpful when I need a reality check!)
I am married to a wonderful man who loves me know matter what. Don't get me wrong...we have definitely had our share of problems..but all in all...
We don't have any children,though we spent a lot of heartbreaking years trying. We spent all our emotional and financial resources to no avail. Now we have our fur babies. A cat named Jake (he's an old boy. 12!) and our Roxy, a 4 year old puggle we adopted about a year ago.
I guess the other kind of major thing is that I had a heart attack last September. I had no symptoms, my cholesterol was a bit high, but not scary high,no family history, and I was 40! I have 4 stents and I'm on a bunch of meds. The Dr's tell me I am lucky to be alive. You'd think that would get me on the right path with my weigh...but nope! I gained 20 lbs since then!http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/im...dunno_2011.gif
I did quit smoking. Scared Straight! and I have been sporadic, but I did start exercising. Definitely need to get better on that.
So I am back to Atkins. I really believe this is the best way, and really the way I've been most successful Believe me I have tried Everything!!! Nutri-system, Weight Watchers. I even worked for Jenny Craig for a while!
I always lost weight, but I was hungry all the time. I am a total sugar head!

So with almost 3 weeks back, I have lost 8 lbs, and I feel "lighter".
Wish me luck!
Meg
Meg2039 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2011, 08:41 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
Yay! Your first journal entry! WooHoo on the 8 lost! KUTGW! You can do this!
kittycitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: michelle204
Stats: 262/187/190/170
WOE: LowCarbing my way
Start Date: July 9, 2007
Meg you are doing great and I know you will continue to do so. Your health is nothing to take lightly and you are headed in the right direction to improve yours. Your husband and your furbabies need you!
michelle204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:07 PM   #4

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Meg- wow that is a lot going on, thanks for sharing with us!!! A heart attack is scary and we have a lot in common, I gained 60 pounds in 4 years of college I thought that when the partying and late night pizza stopped I would lose well no I kept on blowing up in my early 20's!!! I have always been heavy!! I smoke too, and that is the worst thing, here I lost all this weight and the darn smokes! Every time I try to quit I start eating everything in sight! I must quit before I have the tummy tuck and breast lift to fix this skin, so its coming, and I really want to get up to running a 5K without stopping, and I know the smoking isn't helping the running either, so maybe you can inspire me with that, reading you had a heart attack at 40 should really be reason enough. I gave up cigs and switched to little cigars so on top of all of it, I smell like George Burns, LOL One big positive, my cholesterol was 127 after over a year of low carb and I ate fat---- butter, cheese, bacon you name it, now with all the exercise I am adding more healthy carbs so eating low fat which sucks, but I do think its a good way to eat too, its funny how carbs and fat are the killer, mix them and the weight comes on. I guess that explains why everything yummy contains high fat and carbs, chips, cakes, donuts cookies, etc! Should be a clue!!! LOL

You can so do this, you have a lot of reasons why to do it, and you sound determined, determination I always think is the biggest factor, once we can overcome our own mental stumbling blocks it gets easier, and I know as I have you will learn a lot on this journey and grow mentally so much!!!
I will be right here cheering you on!!!
Amber

Last edited by Bejewelme; 11-19-2011 at 12:08 PM..
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:51 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
Start Date: January 19, 2011
Meg, you are doing great so far!!!
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks everyone!
Kitty,Michelle,Amber,Janet, I so appreciate your support. My health is definitely my priority,even over the weight loss. Having a scare like that really puts things in perspective!
Amber, quitting smoking is so hard. I know. I tried to quit dozens of times over the years! Truly,if the dr's didn't emphasize that quitting was the most important thing I could do for myself, it hit home. Funny thing is, its been over a year since I had a cig, and I still occasionally get cravings. It's crazy!
My husband Andrew still smokes. I worry about his health! But I really believe when you are really ready, you do it, but if you're not, it won't work.
It is like this weight loss journey. You are right. I am dedicated. I feel like this is the time, and I will do it.
I went shopping today and got some things to keep me on track. I went to Sam's Club (love that place! but yikes, I always spend a fortune!) and got atkins shakes, string cheese,these 3net carb protein bars called "demand"(they look like snickers! hope they are decent) flax meal; a chicken to roast, some pre-cooked turkey sausage pattys,half and half and cream cheese! I'm set on that stuff for a while! I travel for work quite a bit, so I need portable stuff. The bars and the cheese sticks are good for that especially.
Then I went to Wegman's (that's our local grocery chain...It rocks!) and found these things called Coco Pops. They are these rice cakey things that have 3 net carbs. I'm thinking they are going to taste like styrofoam! But I'm hoping I can use them as a dipper! I will report!
I also got chicken wings for lunch from the "wing bar" (yea,this is buffalo! Wings are ingrained in the culture). They were pretty good!
I'm really excited. My sister is coming on Monday for a week long visit. I don't get to see her that often!
OK. I've babbled on enough for tonight Going to check on that roasting chicken!
Meg
Old 11-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ceecee08
Stats: 292.6/284.7/170 5'9
Start Date: Restart 1/4/2013
Meg!!!!! I Am here to cheer you on!!! Yea you have been through some stuff. Glad that you got scared strsight. Hubby and your babies need you more than ever!!

Have a great day... those demand bars sound interesting. UUUUMMMMM
ceecee08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:02 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: newyorkmeg
Stats: 247/152/healthy 5'8"
WOE: Just LC
Start Date: 10/09
Just wanted to say hello to another Meg!!!
newyorkmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:25 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Meg! Where in NY do you live? I lived on the upper east side for 5 years after college, and I grew up on Long Island. Now I live WAY upstate in the Buffalo area.
Wait...Duh...it says the Bronx right in your stats.
Thanks for dropping in!
Meg
Old 11-20-2011, 06:27 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

CeeCee,
When I try one I'll let you know how they are. It was 18 bucks for a box of 24, so less than a dollar a bar. That's not bad!
Meg
Old 11-20-2011, 06:50 AM   #11

The coco pops are cardboard but I like them way better than pork rinds, I cant stomach those things! Here is a tip if you travel, take hard boiled eggs and put them in the little plastic easter eggs then they dont crack in your purse, LOL I did that one too many times, then a friend on here shared that little tip!!! I grab mayo packets when I see them cause I am not real crazy about HBeggs, I like the whites, but I can eat the whole thing with a shot of mayo!!!

I love Long Island!!! My husband is managing a job way up in Northern NY Massena its a 8 hour drive!!!! He takes one of the young kids at work and makes them drive!!!!!

Last edited by Bejewelme; 11-20-2011 at 06:52 AM..
Old 11-20-2011, 08:17 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Wow! I am so excited to have all this support! Thanks to everyone for reading my journal! I am overwhelmed by your kindness!!!

Ha! Amber I hear you about pork rinds...I can't get myself to deal with those...ick!
What a great tip about HB eggs. Of course, I will end up being that girl eating stinky food on an airplane, but, oh well. I am a mayo packet/splenda grabber from way back. My co-workers that I travel with are always like "Meg..do you have a yellow in your purse?" as opposed to a pink(s&L) of a blue(equal). I carry so much junk around with me. total hoarder purse! LOL.
I loved growing up on Long Island. I totally miss the ocean. We live right on the Niagara River,and it is so beautiful, but it's not the same! We just moved here over the summer. Before we lived in the city of Buffalo. I love the new place (it's a "project" but the work is fun and I love the whole HGTV big reveal thing!) but I miss the city feel where you can park your car and not drive it all weekend. Here, everything is a haul! I guess it's worth the trade off. I'll post pics sometime if I can figure it out!
Today I am trying a few new things in my plan...whole milk yogurt and flax. If they don't make me gain, I think they will be good additons to my plan! I love yogurt...I add davincis to it. I have no experience with flax, but I have heard good things health wise. I'm going to try a one minute muffin I read about on the boards...but if that isn't good, I can put it in my yogurt or something.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #13

Yay for being all set! Being prepared is a big step! If you aren't you are more likely to just grab anything when hungry.

LOL about the Pork Rinds! I was sitting here eating some while reading this! I use them with my tuna and mayo. Dip like...love the crunch with them. I just dont' think about what they really are!

My friend has us calling it pink sugar! (the "crazy one" Amber)

I love the Easter egg idea too! Was that Lizzie? I miss her

Buffalo! You people are hard core! Our winters look mild compared to yours! DH used to haul 2 loads to Erie a day, and that was bad. I would hate to deal with Buffalo snow!

Can't wait to hear your progress Meg!
Old 11-20-2011, 04:25 PM   #14

Yes Lizzie told me about the plastic eggs, man I had a smelly egg in my purse for a long time!!!

Meg- I am so glad you joined, you seem cool, LOL and I know you will lose, support is so necessary, well I am one of those that needs company!!! See how many carbs are in the yogurt, it is hard to find LC yogurt, Dannon was making one for diabetics that was good now they stopped carrying it at my store, I get the chobani non fat greek yogurt, plain, 10 carbs but 18 grams of protein, very filling, I throw a pack of the 100 calorie almonds in it and cinnamon and splenda, and it becomes tasty! Others use that mio for the water in it? I dont like that though, my other trick is the crystal light packets for a single water bottle that is good stirred into plain yogurt, the peach mango is my fav!!!

The OMM are delish -----very filling!!! I hate coconut, but I like cooking with coconut oil, if you have it and you like it sub that for the butter, coconut oil is one of those good oils that is suppose to spur your metabolism! I like it to stir fry with it too! And I rub it on my skin it cures everything!!!
Old 11-21-2011, 05:15 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Ooh. Coconut oil huh? I will have to pick some up. I am all for having my metabolism spurred! The Yogurt says 12g/cup. I read somewhere that because Yogurt is fermented it actually only counts as 4g/cup. Something about the active cultures? I will have to find where I read that. Anyhow, I'll see if it effects me. I care about the carbs, but I more worry I will get hungry too soon. When I eat eggs, they hold me for a while! But I get sick of them if I have them every day. I do like shakes, but people say they are not so good. I don't seem to have a problem with them, but it's good to mix things up.
I made the OMM. I guess I have to tweak a little. It was kind of bland...I ended up putting butter and a sprinkle of Splenda on top and that made it much better! I can totally see where that muffin could be great! Definitely filling!
Amber-thanks so much. I'm glad I joined to! This site is great. you have all been so welcoming! and cool!
So I belong to a book club. It's a group of 10 folks, guys and girls, and we get together 9 times a year to discuss a book we pick. It's a fun group. Def focused more on the socializing than the book! We joke and call it the wine and book club sometimes. Anyway...I went to a meeting last night and I screwed up...I had 3 crackers and 2 apple slices with caramel sauce and of course wine!... Boo! They did not have any veggie dippers, so I caved! Back on track 100% today for sure!
I weighed this morning (Today marks week 3!) and I am now 211.2. Down a pound, but It could have been better! Lesson learned...don't make Monday your weigh in day! kidding...
I'm thinking about making a batch of cream cheese muffins to have on hand for breakfast. I am going to need something when my family starts arriving with NYC bagels in their hands!
Have a great Monday!
Meg
Old 11-21-2011, 05:41 AM   #16

Oh God, NYC bagels that is a tough one!!!! Don't beat yourself up you still lost,and think if you were not dieting what you would have eaten last night!!!! I always make weigh in Monday and then midweek, I have a thanksgiving challenge going, but will be starting one to run til New Year's so I will send you the thread and then you can join, its a good group, we weigh on Wednesdays now better than the weighing Monday after the cheats, LOL The cream cheese muffins are good, I will send you this girls link, OMG her pumpkin cream cheese muffins are so good, I really like her recipes!!! She was a professional baker I am not big on LC sweets but I have made 3 of her things and they have been delish!!!

Candice's Low Carb Recipes

google one minute muffin you will find a ton of recipes to try!!!
Old 11-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: green team
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg2039 View Post
Ooh. Coconut oil huh? I will have to pick some up. I am all for having my metabolism spurred! The Yogurt says 12g/cup. I read somewhere that because Yogurt is fermented it actually only counts as 4g/cup. Something about the active cultures? I will have to find where I read that. Anyhow, I'll see if it effects me. I care about the carbs, but I more worry I will get hungry too soon. When I eat eggs, they hold me for a while! But I get sick of them if I have them every day. I do like shakes, but people say they are not so good. I don't seem to have a problem with them, but it's good to mix things up.
I made the OMM. I guess I have to tweak a little. It was kind of bland...I ended up putting butter and a sprinkle of Splenda on top and that made it much better! I can totally see where that muffin could be great! Definitely filling!
Amber-thanks so much. I'm glad I joined to! This site is great. you have all been so welcoming! and cool!
So I belong to a book club. It's a group of 10 folks, guys and girls, and we get together 9 times a year to discuss a book we pick. It's a fun group. Def focused more on the socializing than the book! We joke and call it the wine and book club sometimes. Anyway...I went to a meeting last night and I screwed up...I had 3 crackers and 2 apple slices with caramel sauce and of course wine!... Boo! They did not have any veggie dippers, so I caved! Back on track 100% today for sure!
I weighed this morning (Today marks week 3!) and I am now 211.2. Down a pound, but It could have been better! Lesson learned...don't make Monday your weigh in day! kidding...
I'm thinking about making a batch of cream cheese muffins to have on hand for breakfast. I am going to need something when my family starts arriving with NYC bagels in their hands!
Have a great Monday!
Meg
What was the book? Often the fatter the book, the more the temptation to eat. If War and Peace comes up, skip the meeting.
green team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:48 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Amber, Thanks for that link. The recipes look yummy! I can't use almond four at all,as I'm allergic to tree nuts. It stinks. At least I'm not allergic to peanuts(they are a legume, not a nut)! I'd cry! But it looks like she has some recipes using coconut flour (also not a nut!) so maybe I'll try that sometime! I did make cream cheese muffins today. I used 1/4 c splenda and 1/4 c eggnog davinci's to flavor them. I haven't tried one yet, but that will be breakfast tommorow!
Green Team...LOL...no War and Peace! please! The book was called "I am Messenger" I can't remember the author. It was a good (and moderately sized)read!
Tomorrow I have a lot of shopping and prep to do. Wednesday my parents and Nan arrive, and I'll be cooking pretty much all day. I feel pretty good about being sort of ready for the big day Thursday!
Meg
Old 11-21-2011, 08:35 PM   #19

Yeah, no beating yourself up. We have all slipped. It is the getting back up quickly that saves us! It is all part of the dance...or so we let them think! LOL

Have a great day tomorrow!
Old 11-22-2011, 02:47 AM   #20

Meg- if you cant eat almond flour, they have peanut flour and it is delicious!!! I think netrition here sells it, very good for baked goods and the OMM!!!

Have a great daytomorrow with the family!!! I am debating a half day, I am going to help my Mom and stay over night and my Gram is coming too, I love my Nanny!! She just turned 90!
Old 11-22-2011, 05:09 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Peanut flour sounds Yum. I definitely need to make an order with netrition! I need to figure out what all I need!
My Nan (I call her Nanzy) is 89. She's awesome! She'll be here with the rest of the crew on Turkey Day.
I was perfectly on plan yesterday. I am going to be perfectly on plan until Thursday so I have a little leeway for the feast. I'm not going to set myself up to fail by saying I won't have anything carby. I know I want a little stuffing and a little pumpkin pie (I make maple pumpkin pie from sugar pumpkins, It is awesome! No beating myself up! I will enjoy a small amount and then go right back on plan the next meal. I will focus on the low carb options so I am full and don't want much of the other stuff.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Have a great day everyone!
Meg
Old 11-22-2011, 05:39 AM   #22

There is no reason not to enjoy such a holiday, and you are right, I am choosing the cheat I want, not just falling face first into a carb overload, like sweet potatos and a bit of pies, LOL Sat we go to TOny's Mom, I asked her to make fish and her stuffing, LOL So I am eating her stuffing cause it is the best, then having fish and broccoli for balance, LOL It is one day in the rest of our lives, food is important to families and traditions, the one thing I learned it comes on and it goes back off, so you ahve to ready mentally for it and then go for it!
Old 11-22-2011, 05:49 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am not mentally ready for turkey day!!!

I am making me some LC goodies. I know me... If I vear off too much I lose focus!!!

Have fun with the fam Meg!!! Have a great LC day... No temptations. Oh yea, don't forget to report on the bars.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
There is no reason not to enjoy such a holiday, and you are right, I am choosing the cheat I want, not just falling face first into a carb overload, like sweet potatos and a bit of pies, LOL Sat we go to TOny's Mom, I asked her to make fish and her stuffing, LOL So I am eating her stuffing cause it is the best, then having fish and broccoli for balance, LOL It is one day in the rest of our lives, food is important to families and traditions, the one thing I learned it comes on and it goes back off, so you ahve to ready mentally for it and then go for it!
Yep, as long as it is a moment, not a lifetime! I too plan on having my TG meal this Sun. (our fams meal). I will indulge, then get right back to eating healthy! Will make as much as I can GF and LC to help keep the carbs at bay!
Old 11-23-2011, 03:34 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Good Morning!
I'm ready for a big day of cleaning,chopping,cooking and baking! That is one good thing about Thanksgiving...a lot of it can be done ahead.
Here is what is on the menu at Chez Meg:
Turkey (2 deep fried and 1 roasted)
Ham
Mashed Potatoes
Gravy
Cauli Mash
Stuffing (oyster,bacon and traditional "plain")
Green Beans w/Caramelized Onions
Glazed Carrots
Cranberry (jellied and whole berry)
rolls/butter
Lemon Bread (my hubby's family tradition)
Ginger Bread with lemon cream(He saw this in a magazine and asked me to fix it)
maple pumpkin pie
Cherry Pie
Apple Pie
mini-cheescakes
Chocolates
Cookies
Coffee

I am tired just typing that! I will have my Mom and Sis helping, so it will be ok.
We're not eating until 5, so now I am stressing about what to feed everyone who is staying here for lunch tomorrow. UGH!

It is supposed to be crappy and rainy here today. Boo. I hope it clears up a bit for tomorrow.

I'm staying 100% on plan today!
B-cream cheese muffins
L=Chicken Salad
D Pot Roast (Thank the Lord for the crock pot!!)

Wish me luck!
Meg
Old 11-23-2011, 03:42 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

I forgot to add...
Yesterday I went to my Doc for my annual physical. He mentioned my weight because even though I am down 9 lbs from this plan, I am UP 9 lbs since I saw him last year. Before I had a chance to tell him what I was doing, he told me that cutting carbs was the way to go to get my weight under control. He didn't really advocate higher fat, but definitely said to cut sugar,bread potatoes,etc. and focus on protein. I thought that was a nice change from the usual low fat,high carb spiel. I told him I'd been following a low carb plan for 3 weeks and he said keep it up!
Also...I got my flu shot and my arm hurts! Wahhhh! OK got the wining out of my system.
Carry On!
Meg
Old 11-23-2011, 03:51 AM   #27

Yay for a doc that agrees with LC...though he needs to read up on the fat thing Some are coming around!

You are going to be one busy woman! How many are you feeding? WOW!!! I want to come to your house!
Old 11-23-2011, 04:06 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

I agree! He needs to read up on the fat thing,but It is a step in the right direction.
I am feeding 22 adults and 8 kids. I am excited to have everyone here! But It will be a bit chaotic!
Come on over! Plenty for everyone!
Old 11-23-2011, 04:18 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WHHHHOOOOAAA!!!! That is a feast Meg!!! LOL. Glad you have help to cook all of that.

Glad the doc was on board with your new WOE.

It rained all yesterday here... took us 3 hours to get to the car dealership yesterday and I left work at 4 yesterday!!!! GEEESH... gotta love ATL traffic!

Have a great day!!!
Old 11-23-2011, 06:51 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
Start Date: January 19, 2011
Wow, you are having a huge crowd!!! Happy Thanksgiving!
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote