Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #241
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Hey Linda! I just saw you in Gracie's place, and was gonna write you. I had been thinking to come back to my journal and post something but you beat me to it!

Thanks for the concern, it wasn't really as bad as it sounded all at once, I had a great day overall and once I realized it was April 1st I just had to make myself think of it as a bad joke!

I don't drink coffee, but I'm willing to try a yummy version. My last coffee had chocolate syrup in the bottom and whipped cream on top! Oh My Goodness! I just bought 6 blocks of butter so I think I could try this. I also bought, from Biglots since I was there, some instant coffee granules for making chocolate mousse, so i could try this butter coffee recipe without having a coffee maker I think.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #242
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: Maintaining ±4 lbs.
Ah, this is too funny!

I feel like we're playing musical doors!

Jeez, Metqa, you're a much more honorable person than I chalking your experience up to a bad joke!

Normally, I would have taken the same stance, but I"m feeling rather ornery today, so I apologize if I seemed too offensive......I'd still like to write that letter though...

Barbara told me about the coffee/butter thing also, and I did try it once but my coffee wasn't the best, so will be trying it again and see if it passes my taste bud test.

Gracie's Journal
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #243

Well, I really like the folks working there, and I can't let myself stay mad at them for what in my opinion is an awful customer service oversight, but they are so nice to me....beyond customer nice.

I might try the coffee butter thing with BF since I discovered he's been drinking coffee secretly from my knowledge. it might be a fun group experience.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #244

Happy Monday.

I made crochet headband for one of my students who is going ot have a baby girl. I made two and each has a little crochet flower on it, and I made two larger flowers on hair clips for the Mommy to wear to match.

Yesterday I practiced Granny Squares, cause BF and I found an Awesome blanket at the thrift store made of Bright Bold Rainbow Variegated Yarn in granny squares and black borders.

While playing about I wondered if I only made three corners would it be a Granny Triangle? I was really trying to learn how to do shell stitch, but I ended up making a triangle that I can wear like my half scarves on my head, the point hangs down tween my eyebrowsn and the other two points toward my ears and tied in back.

I'm happy cause Now I see how to make a triangle in the round and I can finally work on making my barefoot thongs for the summer. I've already made one and i"m working on the second now.

1st round: I chained 4 and made a ring then I chained 3 as the first double crochet and I made 3 shells of 5DC with 3 chains between. Then I slip stitched to the top of the first chain three to complete the round. Then slip stitched across the DC until i reached the opening and slip stitched into it once.
2nd round: Chained 3, 4DC into the opening ( corner) to complete a shell, Then I chained one, cause I was over a shell, and then I started the shell stitch (5DC)in the next opening corner , Chained 3, then another shell.
When I got back to the start I slip stitched it together to complete the round.

Toe Loop: Slip stitch to the next corner opening, Chain 8, then join to the other side of the corner opening ( chain more for comfort).
Heel Loop: Slip stitch all the way to the next corner. Lay the fabric on your foot as you would wear it , Hook the toe loop on and pull it flat, and use a string or tape to measure from one corner, around your heel and to the other. From that corner, chain that length,( I chained 18 and it's snug for my foot) and then join to the other corner. It won't stretch so be accurate so you can get it over your heel easily but don't give too much slack or it will just fall off. Slip stitch back to your starting point and finish off.

Please ignore my freshly painted claws.

The head piece is the same pattern just done up with more rounds, and on two corners I chained out a length and slipstitched back along the length to make ties.

Last edited by metqa; 04-23-2012 at 04:04 PM..
Old 04-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #245
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, Metqa, you have been busy!

I commented to you about these beauties in my journal!

What a lucky student you have to be the recipient of such a sweet gift.

I'm really liking those triangle half scarves. I used to wear something similar back in the day when we needed head covers for Mass.

I used to do a lot of crocheting and knitting many years ago when my children were coming up, but the interest in doing it again is no longer there.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #246

I did a survey and realized I get more creative when I'm making stuff for gifts for other people. I don't make stuff for myself. So I decided to experiment and I get to keep the experiments cause I wouldn't give a guinea pig project as a gift. But when it came out cool I'm so happy cause I get to wear it myself!

I don't like most of the crochet projects. blankets and quilts are neat, but too labor/time intensive when I can buy a warm pretty Sherpa/Suede throw for cheaper than the yarn to make the same size blanket. I like unusual projects that you aren't gonna find on the dollar rack at the discount store. I like my barefoot thongs, I like the head covers, the wristlets, I even like the idea of a crochet bathing suit (OOOPS! that's too revealing for me right now! )

I have so many craft project potentials but never do them for myself, I need to change my focus and motivation. I found a Fisher price kids loom at the thrift store for $1. A real working rigid heddle loom. I'm gonna learn to use it and make something with it. BTW, do you know anyting about boat shuttles? I wanna find one or make my own for this loom, they seem so much better , less ackward than stick shuttles...

Oh and I found string yarn, it's not three strands twisted but one strand. It's so neat, but I have no idea what to make with it. That's why I need more practice!

~~~~
Old 05-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #247

Procrastination and new slippers

Procrastination is an awful thing.
It made me crochet these slippers when I clearly had other more pressing things to take care of...

I got the pattern from here: How to Make Simple Crochet Slippers « Crafts « Zoom Yummy

But I made my own changes as her size is a nine and mine is a six-half.
After the first 3 rounds, I had to decrease stitches until it became snug on my foot. So it starts as sorta a balloon shape, but it's fine as it fits the bulgy curve of the ball of the foot. I decreased over the next two rows till I was down to 28 stitches around(spiral) then on the back and forth part I only stitched 20 stitches across, based on where the sides came up on the front.

After I finished the basic part I realized the sides were too low for me with only 20 stitches so with the trim color,I went around once, and then added another SC row on top to give it more height. they are really comfy and fun. If I had used animal yarn, I could felt them to hide the holes, but that'll have to be a project for another day( When I can get some felting yarn)

PS. "I need to lose about 5 Kilos", said my lovely Italian friend. After pinching my own side, I had to admit I needed to have that same goal...
Old 05-18-2012, 09:21 PM   #248
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: marylouise
Stats: 300 / 154.8 / 150-5'3"- 61 YR.
WOE: 72` DADR with the List!
Start Date: March 1, 2011
Metqa I love your Slippers!

I started an afghan for my couch many years ago. I take it out and work on it in the winter time. can't keep it out anymore. My dog, Cricket gets her nails caught in it. I wish you could see the mess I have made of it.

It is so out of square I laugh each time I drag it out to work on. Over the years the colors have changed a lot! I do enjoy working on it though.

You are good! Very good!
Come see me sometime.

I am struggling to get back to losing.

What you said on Geese's thread helped me understand blood sugar better than anything I have read.
marylouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:33 AM   #249

Thanks ML. BF and I found a wonderfully beautiful Rainbow afghan that we bought at a thrift store. It's not soft pastel colors but striking bold red, green, yellow, blue, purple orange, with solid black borders on each square and connecting them.

I'm not keen on trying to make blankets but if I could find such bold colored yarn, I'd give it a try. Everyone tries to steal it and use it, it's so fun looking and nice and cozy.

The only thing I don't like is how my projects look old as soon as I finish them cause the colors are so muted and "soft". I want the colors to POP! ( I guess that means I need to stop getting my yarn from the Dollar Tree Store! LOL)

~~~~~~~~~
I saw you were thinking of changing plans to get back on the losing train. I'm reviewing the plans I know to do something for myself.

I've heard others say it, but right now I can't wrap my mind around the "false" idea of deprivation. I know I won't be, but just thinking about limiting anything right now makes me feel rebellious. But the past few days I have limited my carbs, which is the easiest to do since I'm used to the idea.

The hardest thing for me is keeping my kitchen uncluttered so I can prepare meals ahead and bake and finding the motivation to actually do it, these days.

Classes are starting again tomorrow, so my free time this past month comes to an end. I found I was hungrier and sleepier with my new morning/Afternoon/Evening work schedule. I can't wait for the pool to open, I so wanna go swimming. i tend to slim when I swim.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:36 AM   #250
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/147/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
Metqa, I just "found" you again, reading your wonderful explanations about blood sugar and carbs in another thread.

It's good to see your crochet projects! Girl, the little toe sandal thingie was so cute! I'm not crocheting much anymore. I've concentrated my Threads of Love projects to mostly making the flannel lovie dolls. I personally make sure that the hospitals have as many as they need.

I don't know if you've seen it elsewhere, but I'm happily maintaining below my goal, and don't plan to do hCG ever again. I'm grateful to hCG for getting me close to my goal, but I wasn't ever able to get all the way there and STAY there. I saw you on the JUDDD threads awhile back, so you may be aware that I'm a huge fan, now. JUDDD has made me so HAPPY! (and downright skinny!) I love it!

I hope you figure out what works best for YOU, too. I'll try to keep up with you now that I know where you're posting.
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #251

Hey Laurie! haha.

I've been SO wanting to sew, but I have to get other things in order first. I wanna sew a costume dress for Dragon Con, I've got the fabric but no pattern, so I've gotta learn how to sew between now and September!

So happy to hear you are well!
Old 05-19-2012, 07:59 AM   #252

+oh My! I've just had microwave pork rinds for the first time... and they are AWESOME@!
\
tHEY ARE Lowreys brand and i got em from a discount store called Freds. I was skeptical but the cashier told me to try it for a dollar! not much to lose. Im gonna go backfor more.

The tricky bit was no popping sound, only the bag expands and yu have to watch it. My bag had a spot of oil that started burning so I pulled it out. only half of them were fluffy. then I realized that the hard pieces in the bottom were not overcooked but Undercooked. So I took out and ate all the fluffy bits, discareded the burned ones and put the small solid pieces back in the bag and back in the nuker. 30 seconds later I had the most perfect serving of hot crispy yummy pork rinds! I'm eating them now. Ciao!
Old 05-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #253
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredhead View Post
Metqa, I just "found" you again, reading your wonderful explanations about blood sugar and carbs in another thread.

It's good to see your crochet projects! Girl, the little toe sandal thingie was so cute! I'm not crocheting much anymore. I've concentrated my Threads of Love projects to mostly making the flannel lovie dolls. I personally make sure that the hospitals have as many as they need.

I don't know if you've seen it elsewhere, but I'm happily maintaining below my goal, and don't plan to do hCG ever again. I'm grateful to hCG for getting me close to my goal, but I wasn't ever able to get all the way there and STAY there. I saw you on the JUDDD threads awhile back, so you may be aware that I'm a huge fan, now. JUDDD has made me so HAPPY! (and downright skinny!) I love it!

I hope you figure out what works best for YOU, too. I'll try to keep up with you now that I know where you're posting.
Hi Laurie~ You have done so wonderfully losing to as low as you are now!

I dont know anything about HCG. I've seen plenty that were and are using it.

Laura did JUDDD get you to goal? I am diabetic because of all of the years I abused my body. I smell a carb and gain weight! I stopped losing a couple months ago. It has been long enough that I cant remember the last time I saw a low number on the scale. I weigh 168 now. Well some days I weigh less, but I am falling behind fast!

Congrads Laura on your weight loss and maintaining!
Old 05-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #254
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
+oh My! I've just had microwave pork rinds for the first time... and they are AWESOME@!

tHEY ARE Lowreys brand and i got em from a discount store called Freds. I was skeptical but the cashier told me to try it for a dollar! not much to lose. Im gonna go backfor more.

The tricky bit was no popping sound, only the bag expands and yu have to watch it. My bag had a spot of oil that started burning so I pulled it out. only half of them were fluffy. then I realized that the hard pieces in the bottom were not overcooked but Undercooked. So I took out and ate all the fluffy bits, discareded the burned ones and put the small solid pieces back in the bag and back in the nuker. 30 seconds later I had the most perfect serving of hot crispy yummy pork rinds! I'm eating them now. Ciao!
Hi Metqa~

Will you explain the pork rinds? I have never heard of putting them in the microwave?
Old 05-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #255

They are like microwave pop corn only they are pork rinds. there are little bits of pork skin in the bag and as you microwave them, they puff up and become fluffy pork rinds. Because they don't make noise, you have to watch the bag. it will fill up and expand, but once it stops expanding you have to stop it or it will overcook and burn.

I wonder if Netrition carries this, I've heard people talk about it but I found it at Fred's.

ETA:Yup, click on the words Pork Rinds up in the first paragraph and Netrition has them. an 18pk for $18.99!

Last edited by metqa; 05-19-2012 at 10:33 AM..
Old 05-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #256

You Know You are Getting Old When...

...your BF keeps trying to pull the white"cat-hair" out of your locs, but is unsuccessful because the white hair is actually attached to your scalp!!!

Last edited by metqa; 05-19-2012 at 11:05 AM..
Old 05-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #257
Blabbermouth!!!

Well that looks good! The Freds is it a dollar store? We have a Freds and it is a dollar store. I will be sure to stop by and see if they have them. I cant order things of the web, yet. Next April I will be able to.

Metqa what is FMH??

I am reading from the link that Gracie posted on her Journal. James Johnson. UpDay/DownDay..............................

YEP I'd be bald if DH did that to my hair.
My sister and brother are younger and white headed. Mine is more salt and pepper. Darker around my face.

UD/DD is JUDDD? s this correct?

I did the math and I came up with UD of 1,669 Kcals and DD of 334 Kcals. And that is at 20% WT Loss Mode.

Knowing almost nothing about this WOE that sounds high to me for the UD Kcal count....

Last edited by marylouise; 05-19-2012 at 12:35 PM..
Old 05-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #258
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/147/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
Marylouise, thanks for your kind comments. There is a whole section of JUDDD threads that have a ton of good information. You'll find a lot of ecstatic people over there.

Most people don't start out with the DD calories that low. Most start at 500 and at some point, work their way down. Some, like me, lost just fine on 500 calorie down days and never got lower. I maintain at 600 calories for DDs and eat up to 2800-3000 calories on a lot of my UDs. (I'm 5'7" and LOVE to eat!) I lost weight eating 1800-1900 calories on UDs for a couple of months, and got those last 12 or so pounds off that way. Maintaining has been a breeze. Come on over to the "dark side", where you can choose any style of eating you want (LC, VLC, HC, etc), as long as you respect your calorie limits.

Sorry for the threadjack, Metqa. I love to share this great thing that's happened to me, especially with people who are frustrated and stalled.
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:18 PM   #259

Oh, please do, Jack My Thread! It usually means something interesting is being said!

ML, FMH was what Dr. A referred to as Fat Mobilizing Hormone, a phrase he coined to talk about the effects of insulin on the body. More accurately, there are two fat mobilizing enzymes that are both controlled by insulin, one that puts fat in when insulin is present, and one that keeps fat in when insulin is present. I can't recall the technical name of the first, but the latter is Hormone Sensitive Lipase.

UD/DD is Dr Johnsons Up Day Down Day Diet. The Up day should be the number of calories you would need to maintain your current weight. That's probably why it looks high to you since you've probably been keeping calories less than that for weight loss. But the down day averages it so that you are in a caloric deficit over a two day period.

Hey Laurie, I need to hear success stories again to kick myself in the arse and get back on track. Thanks!
Old 05-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #260
Blabbermouth!!!

Metqa does this mean that could be the reason I have stopped losing???
My blood sugar has been going up!!!

I have been using too much HWC.
I have ate some SF candy. Mamas day.
I have added carbs period. BUT I have been thinking my BS was okay. Several weeks ago our little dog scratched me and it took forever to get well. So I started checking my BS when the problem did not get well fast as it should have. The foods I have added aren't important but what is important is my BS rise.

I hope my rambling made sense.

I have stopped all food extras. I am back to VVLC induction. BS is doing good again. Was 88 yesterday when I woke up.

You have given me some good things to think about.
Thanks Metqa for being here when I need you and you know that has been many times!
Old 05-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #261

How I Saved My Sour Cream

Hi Everybody,
I bought a tub of sour cream and stashed it in my newly defrosted mini fridge. It seems I put it too close to the newly de-iced freezing plate and my sour cream became a lump of ice.

I put it on the counter to thaw, and when I shook it I heard slooshing noises. "Oh no!," I thought, "A brand new tub of Sour cream ruined!"

Then I wondered, well, it was never opened so it won't be "bad", and I looked inside and saw what looked like cottage cheese. Hmm.

I had just finished straining some kefir and I incorporate the separated fatty solids back into the liquid by pressing it through a strainer and whipping it back together. Whipping it back together?

I put some of the curdled sour cream into a personal blender and started whizzing it. At first it just sloshed around, but then the sound changed and a funnel developed in the center as a fluffy liquid started climbing the walls of the cup.

Yay! I was able to whip the curds and whey of the separated cream back into a cream consistency. I whipped the rest of it and poured it back into the container. It's chilling in the fridge and tastes just like normal!

Makes me think. I wonder if I could purposely freeze sour cream into dinner sized portions and then whip the thawed product later to use as normal.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #262
Blabbermouth!!!

You are very resourceful!
I would have just thrown it away
Old 05-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #263
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Metqa,

I just love the way you experiment and make things work even though they give the appearance of being 'long gone'.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #264

Thanks, ML and Gracie!

I just got a call from the thrift store to pick up some scrap clothing. I hope to use the fabric in different crafts, crochet and projects, to reduce my fabric bill and allow me to experiment more with less expense. I Love getting denim, it's so strong!

Maybe one day I'll have a little house with space for a proper sewing corner and a garden. Then I can decorate it all and do home cooking with my homemade aprons.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #265
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Thanks, ML and Gracie!

I just got a call from the thrift store to pick up some scrap clothing. I hope to use the fabric in different crafts, crochet and projects, to reduce my fabric bill and allow me to experiment more with less expense. I Love getting denim, it's so strong!

Maybe one day I'll have a little house with space for a proper sewing corner and a garden. Then I can decorate it all and do home cooking with my homemade aprons.
Oh my gosh Metqa YOU MUST get a house to turn into yall's home! YOU are the most inspiring person I know on all of the reasons I need to get up and live and enjoy my life.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #266

Well, I'm working on the house part. Waiting to hear from the bank's Loan Officer.
I figure with the amount I pay for rent, If I could buy one of the duplexes that's on the depreciated market, I'd end up paying the same amount for the mortgage, insurance and Prop taxes, and have extra space to rent out for income.

I think It's a good plan because I have to pay my rent or be homeless. I'm GOING to pay my rent, but my rent is the cheapest in town, but it keeps rising. If I can pay my rent, I can afford the mortgage, insurance AND taxes, and the mortgage won't go up.

It's a Pipe Dream but I'm pursuing it. All they can say is No. It won't change my current situation if they refuse, but being able to take my current income and invest in into equity would be a step up rather than flushing down the rent drain. But my plan will only work if I can find a Duplex to use as an alternate source of income. The rent from a duplex would cover all the expenses of the mortgage, and my work income could be applied to repairs, maintenance and savings.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #267
Blabbermouth!!!

You are a wonderful person. What ever you do you will be doing mankind a favor. Met. I wish we could hug each other. YOU are a human being. I love human beings. I am very upset with mankind.

It is such a shame everyone has to be so mean to each other. YOU are the nicest person I have met in a very long time and if you dont have that special someone it is only because you have not met the person GOD has created for you! YOU are a VERY special woman! And I am very proud you are my friend!

God created pairs of us for each other. And you will find that special person! If you haven't found that person, YET!
PLEASE dont ever settled for less. Because you are the BEST!
I love you and send you my very best wishes for a happy life...........
Old 05-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #268

Thanks ML.

I actually Do have a special someone. He's been in my life for about 17 years now. He keeps me sane. I just wished him a good night at work just a moment ago.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:52 AM   #269

Hokey Dokey,

So I haven't really been following any plan, but last week decided, after two homemade pizza parties, that I needed to get back on track, cause I'd gotten fat again.

So I just decided to cut the carbs, up the fat and see what happens. I'd gotten back up to 62+ Kilos, just through not caring and eating out too much on the road and dealing with stuff and helping friends and Free Meals ( when someone brings the whole group pizza after working on stuff all day, you dont refuse....seems like the pizza theme has been prominent lately! )

Anyway. Nothing seemed to be happening. I immediately dropped down into the 61K, but fluxing between 61.2 and 61.8 all week. Started using My Slimfast shakes, On Ice those things are MUCH BETTER than just chilled or even slushed. Not couting calories, cause I'm not premaking anything and spending to much time out, pecking at gas station snacks!

A few days ago, tried my aged kefir again, been drinking at least 8 oz each three days, and yesteday ate a bunch of pork medallions (4 lean pork loin sliced 1/2 inch) fried in bacon fat, with the bacon, 4 slices, and fried spinach ( yes, I fried the spinach in the bacon fat, whole house was smokin'!

Today I've dropped down to 60.2. I can't believe it. I'm so pleased. the liquids sure helped. Drinking water, and the slimfast shakes and the kefir and enjoying a diet soda if I like. I've been peeing a lot and *very regular * so no stodginess to tip the scale.

progress makes it easier to stick to it, neh?
Old 05-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #270
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh yes progress does make it easier to stick to plan!
what is that in pounds?
I remember losing with A. bars and A shakes. Them things cost soooo much! Cant do the shakes right now....;-(