Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 08:16 AM   #361
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: Maintaining ±4 lbs.
WOE: JUDDD
Ah, jeez, Metqa, I hope I didn't evoke that gag reflex for you.

When the subject of liver comes into any conversation, I tell folks how much I love it. There's even a restaurant up in St. Augustine that makes an awesome liver/onion dish, and they can't understand why I order it each time we go.

It's either love or hate......although dh will eat it, but not with the gusto I have for it.

So, where do you think you'll find the 'bones'.....have you a butcher close by?

Get those applications out and find some bones and you'll be golden!!!

Gracie's Journal
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #362
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazzie View Post
Ah, jeez, Metqa, I hope I didn't evoke that gag reflex for you.

When the subject of liver comes into any conversation, I tell folks how much I love it. There's even a restaurant up in St. Augustine that makes an awesome liver/onion dish, and they can't understand why I order it each time we go.

It's either love or hate......although dh will eat it, but not with the gusto I have for it.

So, where do you think you'll find the 'bones'.....have you a butcher close by?

Get those applications out and find some bones and you'll be golden!!!
Nah, Not you, other people. I actually find the flavor not objectionable, raw or cooked it tastes the same. I love well prepared liver. But I have an aversion to okra because of the texture/viscosity so the raw liver invokes that reaction. I've come to notice I have more trouble getting pills down than I used to. I used to be able to put 4-5 different pills in my mouth and swallow them all down in one or two gulps, now a one large tablet gives me trouble.

I'd love to find a restaurant that serves a good liver dish!

Haha, Get this. I'm updating my resume, for a position that I already have my name on a list for. My former supervisor has given my name, but I'm not guaranteed the job, so I'm gonna apply the long way so that my name comes in both ways. and I'm basically rewording my resume to reflect all the duties on the job description since that's exactly what I did. It' seems a waste of time, but it will fulfill 1/2 of my requirement for work search this week. Then I have to change it again to apply for a job that will hopefully hire me for the months in between now and when the other program actually starts, if I actually get it.

i might find Bones at a supermarket on the edge of town, a lot of older occupants shop there and their meat department you have to have a guide to recognize some of the cuts. It's totally not Kroger or Publix with their boneless everythings! I need to ask around, real people will know.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #363

Yay! I called a Piggly Wiggly near here and Matt of the Meat Department said he doesnt' have any cow "feet" right now but they will have some bone trimmings tomorrow by lunch. Oh, I didn't ask how much they'd charge, but it'd probably be comparable to meat trimmings, I hope. Anyway, he said I could get at least a pound of bones, and maybe more for the freezer, if I come by tomorrow.

Hooray, I can start my bone broth tomorrow! and I won't have to go very far to get it. Whoohoo!

BF was all excited when I said I was gonna make broth. He asked if I was gonna make soup and I said "Nope" and he said what was I gonna make and I said " Broth" and he said, "Well, what can you make with this broth?" and I said "Well, you can drink it, or make rice with it, or make beans with it" and he said, "Or make Soup with it?" and I said "Yes." Then he and the other man in the room started rolling their eyes and talking about woman-speak.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #364
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So, it was Matt at the Meat Department that came to your rescue!
Of all places, Piggly Wiggly!
That is just too cute!

'Woman-speak' is something that escapes most men I know. Dh is always teasing me about it, and I just don't understand why he doesn't understand!
Old 09-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #365

Quote:
Originally Posted by sazzie View Post
So, it was Matt at the Meat Department that came to your rescue!
Of all places, Piggly Wiggly!
That is just too cute!

'Woman-speak' is something that escapes most men I know. Dh is always teasing me about it, and I just don't understand why he doesn't understand!
It's because scientists have discovered that women's voices sound like music to a man's brain and so they think we are speaking lullabies and zone out when we speak, That's why we have to repeat ourselves so much.
or at least that is what BF claims...
Old 09-29-2012, 06:49 AM   #366

I think I've got liver stuck in my teeth! The coconut oil is making it stick!

Golden Kefir with a hint of lemon ( lemon flavored cod liver oil) I love lemon in my kefir especially when I make smoothies so it fits just right. I might make a sweet smoothie with the turmeric since I don't taste much difference. I wanted to drink it plain to make sure that I knew if I could taste it and whether the taste would conflict with other tastes. Since it doesn't I think I can safely make smoothies with it without botching the flavors.

I need to go clean the kitchen counter, I keep putting stuff on it when I don't know where to put it. So I can put the crock on the counter to keep, I need to make a space.

Yay, gonna get some bones today. Folks think I'm silly, but even if it doesn't give me great health benefits, it'll at least be good tasting broth.

and I already researched the benefits of gelatin, so I know that will be good for me too.

Last edited by metqa; 09-29-2012 at 06:51 AM..
Old 09-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #367

I got my bones, but I think Matt of the Meat Department was hitting on me!

First of all he heard my name wrong and turned in into something nicer. and then he said he liked my voice over the phone. Then he only charged me 19c per pound for the bones marking them as dog bones instead of broth bones, then when I came back looking for smoked meat, he asked to sample the greens I'm going to cook. Then when I said goodbye, he said "See you Monday." .... Uhm, Monday? I ...Don't plan to be at Piggly Wiggly on Monday. Let me check my calendar to make sure I didn't forget something or know this guy from somewhere else.

When I asked him where to find bones in the store or should I come to him, he said he'd prefer if I came to him for the bones, and that there would always be plenty since they are real butchers. Cool for me.

At some point I'm going to have to let it be known that I'm 20 years into a BF, just to be sure that his flirting is informed. I don't mind, one of our good close friends flirts with me all the time, but he's also buddies with my BF so it's harmless. Strangers who don't know are not so harmless. I don't want to lead anyone on, though I do want those bones. The BEEF bones! Don't be naughty minded!
Old 09-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #368
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dog bones, meat bones, broth bones and then again the Matt from the Meat Department bones.......this is an absolute riot!

Whoever would've thunk that going so innocently to a butcher at Piggly Wiggly to get some bones would turn out to be such a dang cute encounter.

Oh, and we can't forget he wants to taste your greens when you've finished cooking them!!! Ummm huh!

Sorry, but that just tickled my funny bone!

ETA that I believe you are wise to nip it in the bud, that is, if there is any nipping to be done.

Last edited by sazzie; 09-29-2012 at 02:21 PM..
Old 09-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #369

Oh, Did I mention my BF's last name is Bohn, pronounced "BONE"?

Well, I burned the Bacon, but browned the bones, so they are cooling to handling temperature and I'll put them in the crock in a few minutes.

I just had a rich meal of Dream fields pasta, with a glaze made of ghee, egg yolk, and a sprinkle of cheddar, and cooked bacon slices, not the burned bacon from the oven! with some kosher salt and cracked black pepper, this was rich, filling and delicious. I had a bit of Minute Maid Lite Lemonade at 15 calories per cup, diluted half with water ( cause it's still really sweet and thick) Ahh, satisfaction.

I'm also using my Nook to make a digital pantry list. I didn't know I still had 3 bottles of Macadamia nut oil! Can't use it if I don't know I have it. This is a great opportunity to document all of my pantry items as I unpack them and finally achieve my goal of using up my pantry foods even the hidden ones!

Last edited by metqa; 09-29-2012 at 03:20 PM..
Old 09-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #370

Rats! Woken from an awesomely fun dream

Hit the play button before reading:
I was taking a nap and having this really cool dream where the Super Mario Bros. 3 Video game was displayed across my LR floor and I could actually play it by hitting the images with my hand or stepping on objects with my foot to activate them.

I had hit a few blocks and real coins had come out. I was doing pretty well getting across the board and got to one of those blocks that had multiple coins. and there there a lot of coins on the floor and it made the coin ring sound as I collected them. I was almost at the end of the level and had gained a lot of change when the phone rang , which seemed strange cause I thought I was already on the phone with my BF while I played, and woke me from the dream.

It was mother calling me to tell me about real estate they went to look at.
Boo, I wanted to win that level!

Last edited by metqa; 09-30-2012 at 04:10 PM..
Old 09-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #371

I let myself get talked into buying a bunch of collard greens. After sitting in my kitchen for a whole day, I decided I'd better cook them before they all turned yellow and black.

So I just finished stemming and washing them, and I'm waiting for the stock bones to finish cooking. I'm looking at the yellowed leaves, the blackened leaves and the stalks. I don't have a compost or a worm bin yet, and I figured I could freeze the refuse till then, rather than putting it into the trash to smell bad till next Thursday. But then I thought, "there is nothing wrong with the stems. I wonder if they could be used to cook with since I can't compost them." So I'm looking online for recipes that specifically call for collard stems.

I found one that strips and cooks them with ground beef and chilies. I'll stash them in the fridge til I can get the other ingredients.
http://sucheela.blogspot.com/2008/06...tem-salad.html

Has anyone ever cooked the stems from collards or other tough leaves?

I LOVE to eat the stem from broccoli! it's sweet once you peel the outer scuffed layer. I like to slice it thinkly like bamboo and add it to stirfry.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:20 AM   #372

Went out this morning to meet one of the new office ladies, decided to wear the new blue slacks I bought a month ago, same brand as always, I bought them one size up for comfort and loose fit. Went to the meeting left, got in the car and heard a ripping sound. I checked and didn't see anything, felt the seams they seemed intact. Must be my imagination.

Went to a small new store to check it out, and heard the noise as I got out of the car. I assumed that maybe the seat fabric in the driver seat might be ripping, and I'd check it later. In the store I was helping someone find something and bent down and heard the sound again.

This time I knew something was really wrong. I felt all the seams again and they intact so I asked the lady if there were any rips in my pants and she said yes, a big on. She said it wasn't on the seem but on the left side.

The brand new pants had ripped from the back pocket all the way down to the upper thigh!!

Good thing I was wearing black undies instead of polka dot!
Old 10-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #373
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Metqa,

That is just too funny about those slacks....you kept hearing it but it took someone else to see it before you actually knew it........

I love the stems of broccoli, although in the past I used to throw them in our compost bin.

If they are peeled then put in soups, (as you know) they are a fantastic nutritious addition.

I tried cooking collards after my dear friend tried teaching me, but I just don't have the 'hand' for it. She used to laugh at me for giving it my best shot though.

I wish so much that she were still here with us so I could have a second go at it.
I miss her so dearly.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:55 AM   #374

It seems collards are not as hard as I imagined. Of course I called my Mom like 3 times to make sure. If you want the instruction she gave me I'll be more than happy to share.

But I dunno if you wanna use me as an example, in the course of 3 days I've burned two pots of bones!

Getting used to the settings on the new stove. It seems to heat slower than my old stove so I end up over estimating the cooking setting. Won't happen again.

Anyway, My beef dog bones made a nice good smelling broth, and I chilled it, and it's like beef Jello. it's so firm. I just used some of it to boil my Dreamfields linguini and make a little soup with some beef, tomato, onion, garlic and cream cheese.

I've added more water to the beef bones and some more vinegar. The site that suggested this said they kept adding fresh water and vinegar for 12 days until the bones actually disintegrated away. They got every bit of mineral and gelatin out of the bones before discarding them. That sounds reasonable. Why throw them away if there is stills some good in them. They got a gelatine consistency for 12 days though they say 9 days is average.

Oh, and I've taken the next slice of frozen liver, cut it into 6 pieces and sprinkled kosher salt and then covered with toasted sesame oil and put it into the fridge to thaw. when i take a slice out I use the kitchen scissorst to cut it more thinly into slices and eat those. It's really good with the salt and sesame oil, I can see why the Koreans used that combo. It still tastes like liver but the strongness of it is mellowed and the sesame oil & salt seems to be a great complement. It's a cooked "flavor" without the cooked "texture" but I like it cooked too. Last week, I cooked the last two pieces cause they were getting kinda stiff and dehydrated. they tasted fine cooked in hot ghee for 30 seconds.

Good News, I start back teaching the GED class on Monday. They need me to teach and extra day to meet the states new standards, so that makes up for half of the income for the ESL class they cancelled.

Also, More good news: I got a phone call from the new director of a program at my research office asking me to come in for an interview. So I go there Monday Morning to meet her. I hope she chooses me, I would prefer to do interview than urine pickups, and the interviews are not so early in the morning, but I hope my new GED schedule won't be a problem since I'm supposed to be available some evenings as well as weekends . Oh well, just wait and see!
Old 10-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #375

Oh my Gosh!
My Tenants have moved OUT!

Like Ninjas, didn't even realize they were gone.

Wow. They are a month behind in rent.

Wow. They left some clothing and I had the Prop Mngr call and ask them if they wanted to come pick it up before the locks are changed, they said no. I am holding a blowdryer she wants to come retrieve, but I'm gonna take the rest to the Habitat Restore Thrift shop.

Wow. I'm gonna call a couple of my friends to see if they wanna be my tenants for a while, I know they are looking for places to stay and I've got an opening!
Old 10-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #376
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

How I so wish I could come to share one of your wonderful sounding meals with you!

I am hungry right now, and your description of the broth and the liver just made me salivate.

And here I am, munching on one of me muffin cakes......while they are really good, they aren't as good as what's at your house now.

My 'cakes' as I call them have a lot of stuff in them. I took the basic recipe and just kept adding and adding and re-doing it until I found what is acceptable to me. The usual oat fiber and psyllium husk and b/powder are included by measurement, but everything else gets thrown in at my discretion.....the same way I cook. A coffee mug would never do at this point.

Anyway, now you have a unit that is empty!? That was a surprise, no?

Good for you for taking the rest of their stuff to Habitat Restore Thrift shop.

Oh yes, please do share your mom's instructions......not sure I'll be able to duplicate, but I'd love to give it a shot.

You know that on Monday morning, I'll have good vibes flowing your way!!!!
Old 10-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #377

He, he, your cakes sound like they are unique and delish!

I'm really scrounging right now. I keep forcing myself NOT to go shopping cause My kitchen is stillnot set up and I don't want fresh food going bad. But I have a bunch of coupons to use when I do go in a few days, will save me some money on semi-perishibles so I don't have to rush to cook stuff.

No surprise actually a pleasant surprise. It was getting awkward living next to someone knowing they can't afford to live there, and depending on their rent for income, y'know. I'm glad they made the decision to not get further in "debt' so to speak. But the weird thing is the PropMngr says that he screens for jobs ( they had) and finance history and charges a $400 deposit, but their lease doesn't show a deposit was collected. My MOM is upset about that and wants me to press the issue. I'm a wimp.

Anyway.
Collards.
Go to the supermarket and get some smoked bones of your choice. The usual suspects are:smoked turkey legs, Smoked turkey wings, Smoked turkey necks, smoked pork hocks, smoked pork neck bones.

Put them into a pot and cover them with water to an inch above, Add an onion sliced in half and turn on the heat. Bring it to a boil then turn down the heat and let it simmer for an hour.

Fish the bones out of the water and let them cook. then pull the meat from the bones and set aside. The meat should be tender and tasty since it was essentially jerky before.

This next step is Mine: put the bones back into the hot water with the boiled onion and add a tablespoon of vinegar( apple cider is fine) and let the bones simmer in the water for as long as you can get away with ( this is how I burned my bones the first time, I thought I had turned the eye off but it was still on low and the water boiled out) refreshing the water above the bones when it gets low. ( this will pull some calcium and gelatin into the broth and the onion will flavor it)

Remove the bones and strain the broth into a larger pot.

While the broth is simmering, you have taken your bunch of collards and removed any black or yellow leaves. Give the remaining leaves a good rinse with cold water in the sink. If you have a large sink fill it with cold water and bathe them to remove the dirt and grit. 1st wash.

Take a paring knife and hold a leaf by the stem and use a sorta hacking motion toward the stem and the knife will usually slide right down in a straight line, it may take one or two swips per side. Put the stems aside and gather the leaves for a second wash.

Take a few leaves and stack them together then roll them up into a tube. Cut them with a knife( I just tore it with my hands) into 1/2 inch to 1 inch slices. then fluff them apart wash them a third time.

(footnote: I hate grit. who doesn't. I took two large bowls/buckets and put one in each sink filled with water. I put the leaves in one bowl and agitated it, Then I let the leaves float and lifted them out of that bucket and into the second bucket agitated them, then I rolled and tore some new leaves and added them to the first bucket. Then from the second bucket I lifted the floating leaves into the strainer to drain. Assembly line, Tear leaves, bucket one, rinse, bucket two rinse, colander.

When you empty the first bucket of water, reach in and feel the bottom for grit. There will be some. When you empty the second bucket, also feel for grit, if you feel none, you are done. If you felt some grit,refill a bucket and rinse again.

Back to the broth. Now that you have your greens cleaned and cut, it's time to season the broth. Add some freshly cut onion, some garlic cloves or garlic powder, some red pepper flakes, a little bit of black pepper , a pinch or two of salt ( maybe 1/4tsp), and bring it back to a boil. With a wooden spoon handy, add the greens one handful at a time and push them down into the water, they will wilt, and you will have room to add more. Once they are all in, reduce it to simmer and let it cook for at least one hour.

Taste a leaf for doneness. my mother likes them soft, I enjoy it al dente to soft. Anyway, it will taste better the next day so if you plan to cook it more tomorrow, turn it off after an hour, and then the next day heat it up to finish cooking and you won't over cook it, which is hard to do, cause it's good even when it's almost mush.

The volumes are visual. You won't need as much broth as you think because the greens shrink. Not as much as spinach, but similarly.

Add salt and other flavors to taste. Serve with Golden Lower Carbed Corn bread.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #378
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you so much for those detailed instructions!

If I don't understand them, then the joke is on me.....they are so clear!!!!!

I intend to print it out and put them in my kitchen recipe book.

Of course I will let you know when I do this and what the results are.

I loved them so much when done the right way!!!!

Think I'll go for the turkey necks as they are on the sweet side......but I'll keep my mind open for the other parts as well.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #379

Exercise = Illness

I just have crappy timing.

It seems everytime I don't exercise for a while , and then decide to start, I IMMEDIATELY GET SICK. EVERYTIME.

Now I know I didn't overdo the exercise cause I did the slow burn. I only did 3 push ups, 5 squats, some arm and leg lifts about 4 or 5. and yeah I was tired and yeah the next day I was sore, but today I'm knocked out with something someone has been spreading around. I almost feel like if I hadn't exercised I might have avoided getting sick. Instead I'm sore and tired and sick and headachy and miserable and it correlates with having exercised just like always.

Well, I start again next week...blah!

ETA: Oh yeah, BF told me his friend/roomie just ordered the ATKINS book and that he's come to think that low carb may be a healthy lifestyle. ( This guy tries to eat low fat but overdoes it by eating crackers, and jam, and peanut butter and bananachipes etc.) Anyway, BF asked me to not bowl him over with information but to maybe help guide him. I"m thinking I want to help but I dont wanna, since all the times in the past I tried to explain things to them and was ridiculed. I kinda feel like he should struggle through and tough ti out himself. Also, he told BF that i wasn't low carb because he sees me eating high carb food, and yeah I do but when I tried to tell him about JUDDD he wouldn't listen either and I was trying to explain that he could have his occasional naughty foods on Updays and eat low calorie on down days and not feel deprived, but he wouldn't listen then either. so he sees me enjoying food and thinks I'm a hypocrite. Whatever. When I make a pie and make it sugar free instead BF denegrates it and then everyone avoids it. When I make a side dish that is low in carbs everyone looks at it funny. I tried to make the golden almond flour corn bread the other day, it didn't come out right and a friend ate it EVEN THOUGH I TOLD HIM IT DIDN'T COME OUT RIGHT, and he had the nerve to critique it. I told him not to eat it, now it's like "you make bad food" They don't trust me or my food, i don't see why I should help them now they have come around. The only time they eat my stuff is if they think it's the normal SAD version. I did my part before and was made fun of everytime I tried to make a healthier version or explain why butter and fat was good and rice and bread pies were not and that eating a hamburger won't give you a heartattack. I'm fed up with my friends, I won't volunteer anymore.

He'll probably read the book and then try induction but then cheat most of the time and then say it doesn't work, just like people usually do.

Last edited by metqa; 10-09-2012 at 11:05 AM..
Old 10-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #380

Wow, I was a bit testy the other day. LOL
I just got back from shopping, used all of my coupons and saved $27 off my bill. I bought chicken, steak, beef, bacon and ham, some cheeses, eggs, veggies, etc. I'm gonna cut up the the chicken for recipes and freeze it, and wrap the steaks individually. Everything was got with a coupon or on sale. I'm proud of that trip.

I'm still under the weather and headachy but cooking some Seoul Chicken I froze the meat in the marinate and only had to thaw it and put it in the oven. I want to do more dishes like that, Thaw and cook from the freezer.

On the list are:
Scalloped ham and cauliflower
Just like stuffed baked potato
Seoul Chicken
Hot Chicken Salad
Rotel Chicken
Artisan Bread
Clouds
Oopsie Rolls

But not all today, over time. I wanna get back to cooking my food. I like what I cook some of the time, but most of the time it's still better than scrounging and cheaper than out. And maybe I'll share some it it with the guy starting Atkins.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #381

My Pantry is NOW ( almost) Set up . yay! I bought some shelves that were unfortunately exactly too tall to fit, but my friend came over and we cut the tops off so they could tilt up without scraping holes in the ceiling. Funny thing is now that they are in place I can slice the top of the shelf right on top and it you can't tell anything is different!

One of the shelves went into the kitchen and just became my pantry! My bake mixes are all on the top, where I can see them and therefore use them, My canned goods are on two shelves near the bottom, the bottom shelf will hold my tetrapak coconut and almond milks, One of the shelves will have my spices since I lost my spice drawer. I was able to empty my tubular shelves of food items so now I can put pots, pans and appliances on them, easy access. I've freed the cabinet spaces of storage food, so I can use them for dishes. Normally one puts the dishes on the same shelf but these cabinets are shallow and short, but since I won't store food in them I can put the dishes more spread out and accessible. Yay!

BF said it will be easier to cook since I can see my pantry foods, and be able to get to my pans and cookware easier. I can already feel that is true. I thought I needed to buy rotel, but it turns out I have 3 more cans than the one can I thought I had.

I'm really happy about this new organization.

I've been sick for a week, too ill to be of any use, and so having put up shelves and clear the kitchen feels so good.

I still have to clean up the empty vacant unit next door and call my property manager to put it on the rental market, but that shouldn't be so hard now that I think I'm getting better.

I'm taking the left behind clothing to the thrift store and keeping some of the clothes to cut up for sewing scraps.( they said they weren't coming back for them) My craft room is not set up yet, that's low on the list of household set up.

Once I get over being sick ( my mouth and gums are too sore to eat anything that requires chewing, I'm eating soft, mushy soups) I'm gonna try to get back to JUDDING.

OH< I had Dreamfields Angel Hair Pasta for the First time yesterday! The Local Kroger store is upgrading and expanding it's store to have more upscale gourmet stuff like delis, wine tasting stations and bulk grains and stuff, and they FINALLY had Dreamfield shape other than spaghetti and elbow. I'm gonna write them a letter to tell them how pleased I am they added that product choice so they will be inclined to keep it so I dont' have to order it online by the case and pay shipping and such. Yay!

Okay, back to work.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #382
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just loved reading your post this afternoon!!! So upbeat and filled with anticipation.

There's just about nothing that compares to a kitchen that feels 'right'. Looks like you're there and it will only get better. Organization is high on my priority list, and when there is chaos, my mind follows suit.

I have to have a clean slate when I start cooking/baking. I marvel at one of my nieces who can whip up a home-cooked meal with stuff all around and then serve a wonderful meal. It's only afterwards that the kitchen gets cleaned, organized and looks as though nothing ever happened in that room. My other niece is the same as I, needing to have the clean slate........

I'm glad to read that you're starting to feel better......it's the pits when you're down, and only when you start to feel better do you truly realize how down you were.........well, that's how I feel anyway.

I'm also glad to read that once you get a handle on things, you'll be doing JUDDD again. I'm doing it for over a year now and I still marvel!
Old 10-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #383

Aw, Good and Bad Timing.

I just got home from running an errand and saw a couple of guy's near a neighboring house chucking things onto a truck. I figured it was an abandoned house and I watched for a moment. the last thing one man had was a broken chair. then I saw him dash it to the ground and realized he was breaking the chair. I glanced around and saw the second man disassembling a round leaf table, unscrewing the bolted legs. I hurried over, nonchalantly and introduced myself and verified it was an abandoned clean up. I asked if they had anything I could take to the thrift store but much of it was trashed or left out in the weather to be ruined. The table guy said the table was in okay condition but I said it was too big for my car...wait a minute, I might know someone who will need a small table like that, I'll store it in my storage closet. So they rounded up the bolts and gave it to me. Too bad I didn't arrive sooner before he had smashed up all the matching chairs, though.

I hate to see good furniture and things trashed needlessly which is why I often grab abandoned items to take to the Habitat for Humanity thrift store. I have two abandoned TV's to deliver to them today. Someone gets a cheap TV and they make some money to help families get homes. Hooray.

Anyway, I might see if that table fits my kitchen, its exactly like one I wanted but missed out on and it was about to be trashed so even if I give it away, I'm glad I was able to save it from the landfill.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:19 AM   #384
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Metqa,

At least you got the table!

I hate to see things trashed when they could be salvaged! Little screw there and a lil paint and varnish there.......oh well!
Old 10-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #385

My Pantry!

Almost everything is on those shelves. I still have the middle shelf to organize but I was able to unpack all of the rest of my canned, jarred, and boxed food items.

Now I need to move the rest of the non kitchen boxes OUT of the kitchen, and use the space I freed up with the pantry to hold my appliances, cookware and bakeware. Hooray.

Oh on the Fridge, my wire shelves don't fit in the cabinets in this house, so BF stacked them on the fridge to hold my Mason Jars and lids. What a clever boy he is!

never mind that mess in the middle of the floor!

~~~~~~~~~~~
Sigh, So that friend of my BFs....
I'd been patiently waiting for him to say something to me about Low Carb. I held my tongue and didn't make any suggestions or indications that I thought he was interested, so that he could come to me when he was ready, right?

Sigh, So I'm sitting in the dining room and Friend walks up out of the blue and says " So I was reading about that Bull**** Atkins Diet,....." I was like but I kept my face straight and asked him why he thought it was bull. He said he read stuff on the internet that said it was bull. When I asked if he'd read the book, he said NO. Why? because he didn't want to waste his time, since Dr. A is not a nutritionist. So I told him that Dr.A was a cardiologist who used low carb to reduce the symptoms his patients suffering from obesity were having and that it was based on basic science. Then he got flustered and said " I didn't know you were going to defend it" and I said" I defend sound science. " then I dismissed him cause he was supposed to be doing something else and I didn't feel like showing his ignorance more than he'd already done. I told him if he wanted to ask me about the science of it, I'll be more than happy to share it with him because I had learned the benefits of low carb before I'd ever heard of Atkins and you can't call science BS.

Anyway, What did I tell you, eh? He hadn't even read the book and he already has it in his head that it's all wrong. My BF wanted me to help this guy and I'm so glad I resisted bringing it up so it can't be said I was being pushy. Biting my tongue....keeping it to myself...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0915.jpg (66.4 KB, 34 views)
Old 10-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #386
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Everything is so organized and what's better........visible......now you know what you have instead of going out to buy 2 more of 'whatever' and find out later you already had 2 in your closet.........somewhere......

You handled that guy well! I'm not sure I would have been as diplomatic. I tend to look in their face and see if there is a willingness to learn or a defensive attitude lurking.

If there is that willingness, you can't shut me up!

If there is that defensive attitude lurking, you can't get a peep outta me.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #387

guess what i had 4 of? canned pumpkin! I'm gonna make some beefy mushroom soup now! I had coupons for fresh mushroom and just bought some beef on sale. Oh Yeah!

I've always wondered what it'd be like having an open pantry. Now I have one, Hooray!

About friend,
It was actually easy to be diplomatic cause it came straight out of nowhere. I was more stunned speechless at first more than anything. Then I was more curious than offended. I like a good argument but he wasn't presenting an argument so it wouldn't have been at all fun for me.

Tomorrow, I'll make that Beef soup and freeze some. YAY FOR MY BIG FREEZER ( the appliance on the left) and I'm gonna make a double batch of clouds. I laughed when you said you can't make them anymore. My last batch lasted over a month. 3 at a time. ( but I also had sugar free popsicles to enjoy. Sometimes you feel like dairy, sometimes some fruit) Since I can freeze a whole tray of clouds at once now, I can make a bunch of different flavors all at once and have only one clean up. I keep them in a quart size freezer bag , keeps the freezer skin off of them.

I just thought of a mean stereotype while cleaning the bathroom: If you want to hide something from your guy, just put it in the cabinet behind the cleaning products. He'll never find it. Naw, seriously. BF was using up my favorite shampoo, one I can't find in stores anymore, so I want it to last. I kept putting in on "my" side of the bathroom but he kept using it, so I put it behind the bottle of bathroom cleaner, and my shampoo hasn't been touched since Oh he could find it, cause it's in the same cabinet as the TP, and the TP gets moved every week or so but the cleaner only gets moved when I can't stand the grime anymore.

My Rental, I"m still cleaning it. It's amazing what people over look when they claim something is clean. FireHazard Warning: Check your range hood fan and filter. Clean the filter and wipe the fan. I found dirty burnt grease caked upon the walls around the fan, huge gobs of it. and on the up side of the fan blades themselves. It could catch on fire if some food or grease below caught on fire. Anyway, I used up a whole canister of oven cleaner and had to go out and buy another cause the oven is so caked with residue I can't scrape it off. I can't let someone rent it being so dirty. I'm sure it would smoke if turned on. I still need to clean the fridge, it has glass shelves but had caked on crumbs, jam and ick. And the door seal was full of mold, eww! I just need to clean out the trays and put them back in and the fridge will be done. When I finish the oven, and the burner trays, I'm gonna give the kitchen floor the Cinderella treatment and then call in a carpet cleaner. I don't know if doing it all myself is worth $70 but I'd rather not spend the cash since I have the free time even though I may be slow, inefficient and overcritical ( ie. snob) . Money is tight, Why pay for what you can do yourself, right?

Last edited by metqa; 10-26-2012 at 08:31 PM..
Old 10-31-2012, 12:13 PM   #388

This darned Sandy Storm might have killed my Avocado Trees.

They were already recovering from a week of Hot Windy Heat Wave Temperatures from the summer and were doing well with fresh new tender leaves. But even though the temperature didn't drop much the wind was SO STRONG the past few days, the poor leaves were completely stripped of moisture and turned dry and crunchy. It's not fair. My poor trees are suffering no matter what the weather. I don't know if they will recover, I've watered them and hope there is enough life left in them to get some of that water back into the leaves but I may have lost the last of my 2 year trees. If I had brought them inside they would have been fine but it wasn't cold enough to bring them in and I didn't expect the wind to be so vicious and deadly.

So, I'm STILL cleaning up the Rental. The oven is so filthy I've had to use two cans of oven cleaner. I need to call a carpet cleaner in and replace a filter, and once that's done I'm calling it quits. I want to put a globe in one of the closets but It would require rewiring and I don't know how and don't have the cash to pay for it to be done since I'm out the money I should have gotten as rent for the 2 past months.
It'll be as good as any of the other units in the neighborhood, so If someone wants to move in, I can do improvements as they pay their rent.

Anyway I saw something and got an idea. Covers for patio furniture and air conditioners are kinda expensive. I wondered if I could buy some blue tarp and sew one up myself to cover my AC motor outside.

I met a lady in the supermarket and talked about making bone broth. We shared our bone sources and she also does vermiculture. I mentioned how I freeze my scraps because some bugs on some fruit rind infested and killed my worms and she said if I come to a Fall Festival at a local school, where her daughter sells crochet ( something I'm learning also) she would give me some of her worms to help me start again. I think it's a wonderfully generous gesture, so I'm gonna go, check out the crochet and probably buy something in exchange for the worms. I need to go ahead and make my bedding so it will be nice,moist and soft for the worms. I've already got some frozen scraps they can eat, but since they don't eat the veggies but the mold that grows on the veggies, I've got to take the scraps out and let them get warm and start to rot so the worms will have something to eat.

Today I made some Beefy mushroom Soup with my sale price mushrooms and I put 8 cups of it away in the freezer. I also wrapped up 5 discounted manager special ribeye steaks. I bagged some chicken leg quarters I had split but the rest of them are frozen solid. I might thaw them and cook them to take off the meat and collect the bones for a chicken broth batch.

So busy!
Old 11-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #389

I need to reduce. Why don't I just do it? I keep feeling too busy. But I'm making progress toward it.

I've cooked up 3 batches of LC soups, and have frozen them in 2 cups servings. I've misplaced my blender ( Doh!) but when I find it, I'm gonna make bouquoo batches of clouds. I'm trying to notice things on sale like meats and other freezables, that I can stock up on to make dinners. I'm not gonna worry about veggies right now since that's a weekly fresh purchase. I need to find my gums for thickening my soups and such. And I need to start making my homemade shirataki noodles again. I need to make portable food and snacks to keep at BF's home so I'm not tempted by his high carb pantry. I've got three different plans in mind: HCG, EFGT and JUDDD. I have a bottle of HCG that I need to use, but I hate Lowcal-ing in the winter, so I'm curious about how people did HCG with EFGT. Fozzie did it, I might be able to also. I know how to JUDDD, it's just really hard for me to start it up again.

So that's on my mind.

Anyway. My rental is still empty. the rental market is awful, people moving out, no one wants to pay deposits or credit checks. But a Game Night friend may be interested in renting my unit. She's a grad student and needs more quiet and control and she cant get that from her current roomies. She may not move in till January though since she doesn't want to stiff her roommates suddenly. She just left from looking at the place and says she likes it. So I'm waiting to hear a definite yes from her soon as she talks it over with her roommates.

That could be good for me, since she's gonna be around for a while with school and she's part of our game group.

So, I gotta Clean up, Slim Down, and Get Organized! There's just so much to dooooooo!
Old 11-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #390

Yesterday I had an unofficial down day. I'll see if I can keep this up and easy back into Judding.

I had a Smart One's Beef Pot Roast meal, Some shirataki noodles with two eggs and a 2 T Onion Soup mix as sauce, and a Sugar Free popsicle. A total of 396Kcal with a equal spread of carbs, protein and fat.

Today I go to a farewell party at a restaurant.

Oh Poo! I was gonna pick pine cones from my front yard. The other day I decided to do it, but it rained on Tuesday and everything got soggy, so I wanted to wait till it got dry and sunny, but then the yarn service just showed up and chopped up everything with the riding mower!! I wanted to make craft christmas projects with the cones. Oh well. I'm sure more will fall , I hope soon. maybe I should buck the trees to make some fall out! LOL