Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rice paddie
Stats: 259/200/155
WOE: a little of this plan, a little of that plan...
Start Date: 6/4/11
Higgledy-Piggledy Musings of a Fat Chick

6/4/11

Well WTH? I caught a glimpse of myself in the side mirror of the car yesterday and didn't even recognize the person I saw staring back at me. I've always been overweight but the woman I saw reflected in that mirror was more than overweight - she was downright fat....double chin and all. When did this happen? It seems like just a couple of years ago I was biking 15 miles a day and feeling good. Now I can't remember the last time I was on my bike. As for feeling good, I don't think I can recall the last time I went through an entire day without something hurting. I need to turn this ship around before it's too late.

Starting today, I'm going to start making changes and lose some weight. Unfortunately, "some weight" turns out to be about 100lbs. I stepped on the scale this morning (after stripping naked and peeing because clearly those few extra ounces make a difference when you're as fat as me....not!) and I couldn't believe how much I weighed. I'm too embarrassed to even write it down here in the anonymity of cyberspace...although I probably should. I'm no psychologist but I think that actually writing down the number somehow makes it more real and forces me to acknowledge the truth. After all, once it's in black and white and published for all the world (or at least all the world wide internet) to see, I can't really deny that I have a problem anymore, can I? So fine - the scale said 259. Oh my god - that number is even more daunting when you see it in print.

So what's the plan? First step is changing my eating habits. No more processed foods, no sugar (except what's found naturally in fruit and vegetables), restrict my carbs and watch my portion control....and last but not least, get off my butt and get some regular exercise in. Nothing drastic at first because I doubt my body can take the stress of going from one extreme to the other right away. Small steps. First I'm going to start with a daily walking routine until my body adjusts to exerting itself on a regular basis. Then I'll add some biking in to the routine. They just remodeled my office building and added a shower so I'll be able to ride my bike over my lunch hour like I was doing about 5 years ago....but I'm getting ahead of myself.....first the walking....

Okay - so now that it's all written down and saved for posterity on the internet, I have to follow through, right? Please god - if you're up there, feel free to give me a swift kick in the butt when my determination waivers....please help give me the strength to follow through.
rice paddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

06/05/11

First day out of the blocks with this whole losing weight thing was a little rocky. Got my walk in last night and was feeling good. Drank lots of water today and had every intention of avoiding sugar today but had to go to my son Gabe's end of the season lacrosse banquet. I was surrounded by sweet temptations and ended up having a chocolate chunk cookie and a brownie. It was delicious but I felt guilty about eating them almost immediately. Guess I'll just have to take it one day at a time and try to be more diligent about not giving in to temptation.....
Old 08-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

07/06/11

Okay - we're 5 weeks in and I've lost 14 lbs! It hasn't been easy. That's for sure. It's much more enjoyable being able to eat what I want when I want. I always thought that I preferred sour foods over sweets but since I've been on this diet I've had a terribly overwhelming craving for anything sweet.

As part of my diet plan, I've been trying to severely limit my carbs......especially processed carbs. I've also been avoiding starchy carbs which, unfortunately, includes white rice. As an Asian woman, I find cutting rice out of my diet especially distressing and unnatural. But, it is what it is so I haven't had any white rice for 5 long weeks. I've also been avoiding fruit too - which has also been very difficult because I love fruit and there are so many different types of yummy fruit that come into season during the summer months. We bought a fire pit recently and we've spent several nights sitting around the fire - which has been very enjoyable.....what's not been enjoyable was fighting the urge to indulge in some warm and gooey s'mores with the kids.....but I pushed through and haven't cheated.

In addition to the dieting, I've also been exercising by riding my bike over my lunch hour at work. I ride about 6 miles a day and it's felt so great to be on my bike again. I'd forgotten how liberating and free riding my bicycle makes me feel. Of course it had been a number of years since I'd been biking on a regular basis so it really kicked my butt at first....literally.....my butt felt bruised after the first couple of days. Plus, it was hard to stay motivated on the days when the weather was crappy but I pushed through and got my butt out there - even when it rained.

Here's to hoping that I can maintain my resolve....
Old 08-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

07/12/11

I've been on this diet since 6/4 and while I dropped weight consistently in the first 4 weeks or so, I hit a wall about a week and a half ago. I was stuck hovering at the same weight and fluctuating between 246-247lbs for for the past 1.5 weeks. I was doing the induction plan by the book and not cheating at all but I just couldn't seem to get the scale to move. My ketostix were consistently dark pink/purple so I knew I was in ketosis but the pounds just wouldn't drop. I was really starting to get frustrated and then I found the Low Carb Friends website. What a lifesaver!

I spent hours reading through the message board posts and got a lot of helpful tips. The biggest tip was tracking my meals/weight/actvities on the Fit Day website. I was already logging that information on a different website but the Fit Day website was much more comprehensive and showed me a breakdown of my daily intake of fat, protein and carbs which I think has really helped. According to a lot of the posters on the LCF message boards, I should be shooting for 60-70% fat, 20-30% protein and 5% carbs (with no more than 20 net carbs total) on a daily basis.

In addition, I realized that I really needed to get off my butt more and ratchet up the exercise. Up until a couple of days ago, my only exercise was biking 3 days a week for approximately 30 minutes at a time. Clearly that wasn't enough. Some people can lose weight without problems on the Atkins diet without any exercise by simply following the low carb diet but other people's metabolisms are much more resistant to losing weight and have to increase their activity level. I guess I must fit into the latter category because despite my best efforts with the diet, that darn scale just wouldn't budge. Several of the posters on the message board recommended the Jillian Michaels exercise videos. I also have a co-worker who's currently using the JM 30 Day Shred video with some success so I went to the store and picked up the JM Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism video. I did my first workout using the video yesterday. The workout is approximately 1 hour long and it really kicked my butt!.....but it felt good. I had to modify several of the exercises in the video because it made my knees really hurt but I figure that will change as I lose weight and build more muscle. I'm hopeful that I'll be able to follow the video to the letter and do every exercise without modification before too long.

Another helpful tip I got off the LC message board was in regards to the use of artificial sweeteners....specifically Aspartame. Up until a couple of days ago, I had been adding a packet of Wyler's Light Singles to Go mix to my bottles of water because it made it easier to drink all of the water that was required on the diet plan. One of the ingredients in the packets is Aspartame. According to a lot of the posters on the board, Aspartame can cause some people's weight loss to stall. So, with a little sadness (because those little packets made my water taste so darn good!), I gave up my Wyler's packets and have been drinking just plain water.

In addition to all of the helpful suggestions, the LCF website is just chock full of yummy recipes! I was worried that I would get bored with my choices under the plan but there were just so many low carb recipe choices available on the site that I'm confident that I'll be able to stay on track.

I've been incorporating all of the suggestions into my diet routine for the last several days and lo and behold when I got up and peed on the ketostix this morning, it was a DARK purple. Even better, when I stepped on the scale, it showed that I was down 1 pound too! So, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that all of these changes will continue to yield consistent weight loss......
Old 08-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

07/13/11

Okay – I’m a little confused about how much exercise I should be doing on Atkins. I’ve been reading the LC Friends message boards more in my spare time and what I've read so far about exercise has left me confused. I'm currently following the Atkins Induction and plan on staying on that plan for quite some time as I have quite a bit of weight to lose. Some posters say that exercising too much is counter productive on the Atkins plan and others say the more exercise the better.

I’m currently biking for 30 minutes a day on my lunch hour and then doing a Jillian Michaels workout video (Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism) when I get home. The workout itself is 45 minutes long but there's about an additional 15 minutes of warm-up and cool down as well so the entire thing is about 60 minutes long.

I’m confused because some posters said that adding exercise (in the form of cardio workouts) actually stalled their weight loss because cardio burns fat as well as some muscle. These same posters recommended working out with weights as opposed to the cardio workouts as the weights build more muscle which in turn helps burn more fat. I'm new to this working out thing so the conflicting advice confused me.

I’ve started a thread on the message board and asked my fellow LCers to share their experiences and provide some advice on this exercise issue. Hopefully I’ll get some clarification…..
Old 08-06-2011, 09:00 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

07/14/11

Feeling so good today! Went for a 30 minute bike ride over my lunch hour then spent an hour doing the JM circuit training video. I felt dog tired after finishing the exercise video but it was a good feeling.

I was discouraged the last couple of days because I would get light headed and dizzy during and/or after my workouts. I was worried that I'd have to give up the exercising but then I read up on similar complaints on the LCF message boards. The consensus seemed to be that I should eat a little protein before I exercised and consider drinking a sports drink during and after my workouts to help restore my electrolytes (like sodium and potassium). I realized that despite the fact that I was drinking over 100oz of water a day, my low carb diet was depleting some necessary nutrients. I incorporated the tips into my workout routine today and sure enough......I didn't experience feeling light headed or dizzy. It was tough finding a sports drink that wasn't loaded with carbs but some of the LCF posters suggested Powerade Zero and that fit the bill as it has less than 1g of carbs per serving.

In addition to getting my dizziness symptoms under control, I also went out and bought some magnesium pills to help keep things regular. Being on a low carb diet has definitely slowed down my system. I wouldn't say that I've been constipated but I definitely haven't been as regular as usual. I tried taking the Metamucil fiber singles packets but unless you drink the entire glass immediately, it gets thick and goopy and you really have to gag it down so I'm hoping the magnesium pills will do the trick.

I also discovered the wonders of chewing on fennel seeds. The Atkins induction plan is notorious for giving it's followers ketosis breath....which in layman's terms is wicked bad dragon breath! No amount of flossing and brushing cures the ketosis breath. Suggestions from the LCF website for staving off the halitosis included increasing the amount of carbs in your diet - which clearly wasn't an option for me, chewing parsley or fennel seeds. Since we happened to have fennel seeds in the spice cupboard, I took a pinch and gave it a try. It definitely freshened my breath. I'm not sure that I would call the taste enjoyable but it definitely wasn't unpleasant and it did leave my mouth feeling fresh so I think I can manage to chew on a small pinch here and there as needed throughout the day.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

07/19/11

Things are going surprisingly well. I was dreading stepping on the scale this morning because things have been rocky on the home front for the past several days which has sent my stress levels through the roof. I’ve still been sticking to the plan but I definitely wasn’t feeling my best this morning before I got on the scale.

It sounds weird but there are days that I just feel “thinner” (or as “thin” as a girl my size can feel anyway) and I just know that the scale is going to reward me. Today was definitely NOT one of those days. I was feeling stressed out and a little bloated. Imagine my surprise when the scale said that I was down again.

As of today, I’m down a total of 20lbs since 6/4! Here’s to hoping that the scale continues its slow but consistent descent downwards…
Old 08-06-2011, 09:04 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

07/22/11

It seems like I've been "dieting" nearly half of my life...consumed with anxiety, obsessed with the scale, letting my mood be dictated by the pounds I would gain and lose. This time around with the LC WOE, I feel almost a calm zen about it. I'm just taking it one day at a time, doing my best to stick to the plan, feeling good about the slow but sure changes in my body. I'm in it for the long haul and I feel confident about my ability to adapt to the WOL.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:07 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

07/24/11

I've found that I tend to get dehydrated easily and unfortunately my body doesn't cue me to drink until I'm already nearly dehydrated. I don't often feel thirsty so I always try to keep water next to me to remind myself to drink.

As for drinking tons of water to aid weight loss, I'm not really sure what to believe. I can see both sides of the argument. For me, personally, I feel better when my body is properly hydrated so I tend to drink a lot of water but I'm not sure whether there is a set amount of water that I need to be drinking per day.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:08 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

07/26/11

I've also found that I have a decreased appetite and I fret because sometimes I feel like I have to force myself to have some cheese or something every few hours to keep my metabolism from slowing down. I'm consuming about 1,000 calories a day and I'm satiated and don't feel hungry but I've read on the boards that if your caloric intake is too low that your metabolism slows down. But what is too low?? I'm not sure if I should stay the course and keep eating as I have been or try to up my calories a bit.......
Old 08-06-2011, 09:10 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

07/31/11

I've been trying to eat clean and stay away from any artificial sweeteners but there are times that I have a craving for something sweet. I'm considering trying some of the SF candies out there but I'm not sure if:

1) it's acceptable to eat these while on induction and
2) if I start consuming these SF candies will it start me down a slippery slope and tempt me to go off plan?

I've been really good about not consuming any AS for nearly 3 months now. Should I just suck it up and fight through my occasional cravings? I'm worried that adding even LC sweets will stall my weight loss. What to do....what to do...
Old 08-06-2011, 09:14 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

08/04/11

I think TOM is messing with my ketosis. I'm anxious about the sudden change from dark purple to barely pink on the ketone strips. I know I shouldn't get so caught up in what color those darn sticks turn but I do and I'm starting to freak out a little.

I've been doing Atkins Induction since 6/4 and have lost about 23lbs. I've had my TOM a couple of times since starting this WOE but this week is the first week that I've seen a change in my ketosis level since I started. I've been testing consistently pretty much every day and the sticks have shown purple/dark purple since about my 3rd day into induction but now all of a sudden the sticks are barely registering light pink. My TOM is due in about 3 days so I'm hoping that's the issue because my eating habits have not changed at all (although I did recently add pepperoni into the line-up but I don't think there's any hidden carbs in pepperoni, is there?). Hmmmm.....
Old 08-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

08/07/11

Decided to change things up a little and have been doing an egg/meat fast the last couple of days. Not sure what kind of results I'll see with that so it'll be interesting what the scale shows in a couple of days.

Had a little bit of a woo whoo moment yesterday morning though. I was laying in bed with my DH and he reached over to take my hand to pull it closer to him and my ring slipped right off my finger!
Old 08-08-2011, 06:54 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Irish64
Stats: 169.2/148.8/125 5'3"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 04/29/2011
Losing 24 pounds since June is fantastic ! Keep up the good work!
Irish64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:39 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish64 View Post
Losing 24 pounds since June is fantastic ! Keep up the good work!
Thanks for the words of encouragement - I really appreciate it!
Old 08-09-2011, 07:35 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Okay – I’m going to start the day with a little whining. My DH has been doing P90X for a couple of months now and has lost just a bunch of weight while continuing to eat whatever he wants. I, on the other hand, have been pecking and scratching and diligently watching what I put in my mouth and also exercising to achieve my weight loss. Don’t get me wrong, I’m so thankful for the 24lbs that I’ve lost but he’s lost more weight than me and been able to continue eating anything his heart desires. I don’t begrudge him the weight that he’s lost but darn it – I’d love to have the same results and still be naughty with my food choices.

I just have to accept that everyone is different and just keep plugging away with my own plan….
Old 08-09-2011, 11:06 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Well - so much for plugging away with my own plan. I was feeling lazy today and instead of going out for my noon bike ride, I went out to lunch with my friend, Donna, instead. To compound the problem, we went out for Chinese food. I don't know what I was thinking. I mean I know that Chinese food is loaded with cornstarch to thicken the sauces but it's been so long and I've been so good about staying on plan that I told myself that going off plan for 1 meal in over 2 months would be okay. Now I feel so guilty and am really hoping that my cheat won't cause a weight gain. Stupid. Just a really bad lack of judgment today.... URGH!!
Old 08-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
Forgive yourself and move on. DO NOT say "oh hey, this day is ruined, I'll just pig out at dinner, too." Because then what's to stop you from saying "oh heck, I'll take the week off and get back on next week." That's how diets end, and you do NOT want to gain back that wonderful 24 pounds! (Can you tell I've been there before? )

Seriously--as of RIGHT NOW, you are on plan again. This wasn't even a road bump--it was only a hiccup. Face what you did and learn from it.

My (old) HCG Journal

My NEW Journal
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:41 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Irish64
Stats: 169.2/148.8/125 5'3"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 04/29/2011
Men always loss weight faster than women. I think its written in their DNA. Don't kick yourself for a slip - keep on going. We all slip up. What's important is that you get back on track with the next meal. You can do this. And stop judging your plan against your husbands. No two people are the same. We are all unique in our own way. Slow and steady will win the race. Keep it up you can do this.
Irish64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbqueen View Post
Forgive yourself and move on. DO NOT say "oh hey, this day is ruined, I'll just pig out at dinner, too." Because then what's to stop you from saying "oh heck, I'll take the week off and get back on next week." That's how diets end, and you do NOT want to gain back that wonderful 24 pounds! (Can you tell I've been there before? )

Seriously--as of RIGHT NOW, you are on plan again. This wasn't even a road bump--it was only a hiccup. Face what you did and learn from it.
Trust me, I feel so guilty about my loss of self-control at lunch that I'm definitely getting right back on plan IMMEDIATELY. I've worked really hard to get this weight loss train moving and I'm not going to jeopardize it further by straying any further off plan. Thanks for the support and words of encouragement!
Old 08-09-2011, 02:27 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish64 View Post
Men always loss weight faster than women. I think its written in their DNA. Don't kick yourself for a slip - keep on going. We all slip up. What's important is that you get back on track with the next meal. You can do this. And stop judging your plan against your husbands. No two people are the same. We are all unique in our own way. Slow and steady will win the race. Keep it up you can do this.
I'm doing my best to remind myself that this is not a race. My weight graph may not be as impressive as my DH's but its been going down slowly but steadily so I'm very thankful for that. Thanks for the encouragement - I really appreciate it!
Old 08-10-2011, 05:48 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

URGH! I keep bouncing around the same few pounds and can't seem to get the scale to move down....despite the egg/meat fast I'd been doing for about 3 days prior to my little slip-up yesterday. Don't know if I should continue the egg/meat fast. TOM is here so maybe that's what's causing the problem. Okay - deep breath........patience.....just breathe and practice some patience.....
Old 08-10-2011, 11:58 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
It's TOM, that no good sonofagun. Just wait him out and when he goes, he'll probably take some pounds with him.
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:54 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Okay - patience is definitely NOT one of my virtues. Stepped on the scale this morning and was up 1lb from yesterday morning. Could it be from my Chinese food slip-up a couple of days ago? Is it from TOM?? I've been strict about staying on plan after my screw-up but it's just so disheartening to see the scale bounce around and creep up. Definitely not a good way to start my day.....

I know I need to be patient and stay on plan but knowing a truth and following through and doing it are two totally different things. Stay focused.....just stay focused....
Old 08-11-2011, 05:56 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbqueen View Post
It's TOM, that no good sonofagun. Just wait him out and when he goes, he'll probably take some pounds with him.
Thanks for the hugs, Jessica! For the record, I friggin hate TOM!!
Old 08-12-2011, 05:39 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

TGIF! There's been a summer cold going around the office and I think I may have picked it up because I've been sniffling and sneezing the last couple of days. Yesterday afternoon I was just dog tired when I got home from work so skipped my evening workout. Woke up to a 1lb weight loss on the scale so I'm still gaining and losing those same few pounds that have been plaguing me all week. Praying for a visit from the whoosh fairy.....
Old 08-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Just read a post/thread that was really inspiring and helped me put things in perspective in terms of my daily weight fluctuations Impatience Killed The Cat .. or Why To Stop Obsessing and Tweaking ...

I'm adopting a new motto: take a deep breath, focus and just trust the process...heck - I think I'll start adding that to my signature line as a daily reminder to myself to keep things in perspective and stay positive!
Old 08-13-2011, 07:37 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

I think I've come across an interesting fact about my body. I usually weigh myself in the morning after I get up and use the bathroom because I always read that you weigh less first thing in the morning.

This morning, I woke up, used the bathroom and weighed myself and the scale said 235.8. I try to get my exercise in during the morning on weekends so I decided to do my JM workout video. After my workout, I decided to jump on the scale just for the heck of it and was surprised to see that I was now down to 234.6!! It had only been about an hour since I first weighed myself and I hadn't had anything to eat or drink either. So, did I sweat 1.2lbs of water out of my body during the workout??

I don't quite understand it but I guess I won't look a gift horse in the mouth either...I'll take the extra 1.2lb loss happily!
Old 08-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Had a good workout this morning and as an added bonus the scale said that I'm down 1.4lbs from yesterday.

Tried making some of the coconut bark last night and I'm not sure that I'm doing it right. The recipe I used called for 1/4 t of Stevia. I took the lower case "t" to mean tsp but after trying the finished bark, it seemed rather bitter so I'm not sure of the "t" should have been tbsp instead of tsp.....guess I'll just have to play around with it a little...
Old 08-15-2011, 06:25 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Spent the day with the family exploring the Ikea....I'd never been to Ikea so it was quite a fun excursion! It was about a 2.5 hour drive to get there but well worth the drive! We also went to The Cheesecake Factory for lunch and I was so proud of myself that despite all of the temptations, I stayed on plan. I had an omelet for lunch and 2 small bites of the low carb cheesecake. All in all a great day with the family!