Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #151
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Wow, Jessica, I'm excited and nervous for you! I know what you mean about uncharted territory and I'm hoping the best for you. That's pretty sobering what your daughter said. I look at hcg as a seriously last resort kind of thing and unfortunately it does look pretty sketchy on the surface and I once thought it was an eating disorder in disguise. But now I look at it as a fairly drastic treatment, and like all drastic medical treatments, it takes work and isn't understood by everyone.
You're going to do great getting through dinner tonight, you have steel resolve!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #152
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
Wow, Jessica, I'm excited and nervous for you! I know what you mean about uncharted territory and I'm hoping the best for you. That's pretty sobering what your daughter said. I look at hcg as a seriously last resort kind of thing and unfortunately it does look pretty sketchy on the surface and I once thought it was an eating disorder in disguise. But now I look at it as a fairly drastic treatment, and like all drastic medical treatments, it takes work and isn't understood by everyone.
You're going to do great getting through dinner tonight, you have steel resolve!
I absolutely agree with you about everything you said above. Eating 500 calories a day is NOT a normal or healthy way to live your life, and should not be undertaken lightly. As I've said, I'm under doctor's orders to get this weight off (blood pressure problems) and I've been working on that last 13 pounds for literally years. He (he's an elderly guy) always sighs with exaggerated patience when I go in and says "now see, if you eat less calories, you'll lose the weight," then gives me this sheet that was obviously typed on a Selectric in the mid-1970's with a list of calories for things like cornflakes and balogna sandwiches. He's no help at all.

But I guess he gets the last laugh--I AM eating "less calories," aren't I?

My (old) HCG Journal

My NEW Journal
Old 08-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #153
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbqueen View Post
Girl, I'm AMAZED and more impressed than I can say that you were able to do any training of any kind on this few calories. I'll bet you run lighter and faster without that nagging 16 pounds, though--so WELL DONE!

I have absolutely no energy or will for exercise while eating like this. I have continued what I like to think of as my "kitchen gym." (I have a collection of dumbbells on the counter beneath my microwave. While I wait for coffee to brew, skillets to heat, meat to thaw, etc., I do bicep curls, tricep kickbacks and dips, shoulder presses, and various squats and lunges.) This is my entire fitness routine. That's it. Ha!

Congratulations on a job well-done, and go get 'em on the marathon. I cannot imagine being able to do something like that!
Oh. My. Gosh. "Kitchen gym" is an awesome idea!
Old 08-03-2011, 10:33 AM   #154
Major LCF Poster!

I have to tell you, as a recovering anorexic, I would never have talked about trying to lose weight. Yeah, I may have gained weight after my last bought of anorexia(I had four kids and had to take years and years of steroids for Crohn's disease), but I knew when I was doing it that it wasn't about my weight. It was about control. Calories entering my body were the only thing I could control. I wasn't trying to lose weight because I thought people would like me better. I researched this a lot. I've written papers on this. Unless you're really good at covering it up, you aren't anorexic! You know this. But they are typical anorexic traits.

Read me
And also...
Old 08-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #155
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Jessica, I had no clue you had a journal! I just noticed it in your siggy on the Atkins '72 thread. I've got some reading to do! Be back when I get all caught up. All this time I've been wanting news and details and here they were!
Old 08-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #156
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi, Cheryl!
Old 08-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #157
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon bit View Post
I have to tell you, as a recovering anorexic, I would never have talked about trying to lose weight. Yeah, I may have gained weight after my last bought of anorexia(I had four kids and had to take years and years of steroids for Crohn's disease), but I knew when I was doing it that it wasn't about my weight. It was about control. Calories entering my body were the only thing I could control. I wasn't trying to lose weight because I thought people would like me better. I researched this a lot. I've written papers on this. Unless you're really good at covering it up, you aren't anorexic! You know this. But they are typical anorexic traits.
Heidi, very interesting and thoughtful remarks. I hope I did not seem flippant about anorexia. My little sister has fought a 40 year battle with bulimia and I know it's not a matter for joking.. Ruthie, my sister, is recovering, but never recovered. She gets it to a good place for a while, then it flares again. It's such an agonizing struggle.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:00 AM   #158
Major LCF Poster!

Girl, no way did I think you were taking it lightly! I can see where she was coming from, but I don't think you'd be on a board like this if you were anorexic. It's very...private...I think that's the word I'm thinking...
Old 08-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #159
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon bit View Post
Oh. My. Gosh. "Kitchen gym" is an awesome idea!
Believe it or not, I got the idea from my 78 year old mother. I noticed last time I visited her that she was looking extremely slim through the hips and thighs--our family "trouble zone." I said "Mom, are you losing weight?" (She has always been slim.)

She told me that she decided to start doing squats and isometric exercises while she was waiting for her coffee in the morning, and then added more while she was waiting on the microwave. Honestly--it was a noticeable difference!

So I thought, "hey, I can do that." Then I decided to add some weights, too. I have myself on a little every other day split, and I can get 3 or 4 sets in over the course of a day. I've got my arms looking pretty good after several months of this!
Old 08-03-2011, 11:02 AM   #160
Major LCF Poster!

High five your mom for me. I'm doing this.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #161
Big Yapper!

Quote:
I absolutely agree with you about everything you said above. Eating 500 calories a day is NOT a normal or healthy way to live your life, and should not be undertaken lightly. As I've said, I'm under doctor's orders to get this weight off (blood pressure problems) and I've been working on that last 13 pounds for literally years. He (he's an elderly guy) always sighs with exaggerated patience when I go in and says "now see, if you eat less calories, you'll lose the weight," then gives me this sheet that was obviously typed on a Selectric in the mid-1970's with a list of calories for things like cornflakes and balogna sandwiches. He's no help at all.

But I guess he gets the last laugh--I AM eating "less calories," aren't I?
Old goat is stuck in his ways. Well, next time you see him, say, "You were right all along, Doc! I started eating bologna sandwiches and lost all this weight!" It'll make his day.

I for one am really impressed that you have been out to eat with family and friends, gone to the movies, took a vacation in Seattle, threw a wedding shower and still managed to stay on plan! That is simply amazing. And I'm going to do those slippery moves in the future when I can't avoid family get-togethers while on the P2 plan.

It's no joke that people suffer from anorexia and bulimia, but to do those things on a rare occasion just so that you can fly under the radar, there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, it's gutsy and clever! Especially the wine-glass switcheroo. I tip my hat to you, dear friend!

You're doing so GREAT! I wish I had noticed you had a journal long before today, but better late than never! I'm going to be spying on you from now on.

Also, I love your recipes that you've posted! They sound great! You should post them on the P2 recipe thread for others who are in need of something new and tasty.

As far as the HCG plan being extreme, it is. But there are two camps:

Those who have heard of Hcg and decided it is a fad and a crash diet,

And those who have decided to give it a whirl.

We are all in that first camp but those of us who decide to throw caution to the wind and see what all the fuss is about, find that there really is something to it, after all. It's not something you live on, it is a "phase." Thats my 2 cents, anyway. And it's far better to try it than to just throw in the towel out of frustration, following the same old plan year after year. Isn't it?

I think so!
Old 08-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #162
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post

As far as the HCG plan being extreme, it is. But there are two camps:

Those who have heard of Hcg and decided it is a fad and a crash diet,

And those who have decided to give it a whirl.

We are all in that first camp but those of us who decide to throw caution to the wind and see what all the fuss is about, find that there really is something to it, after all. It's not something you live on, it is a "phase." Thats my 2 cents, anyway. And it's far better to try it than to just throw in the towel out of frustration, following the same old plan year after year. Isn't it?

I think so!
Exactly. I see it as a challenge to my creativity, resourcefulness and will, and it's good to challenge yourself! (And I'd never have tried it were it not for you, so I am VERY grateful!)

Glad you found me, and humbly grateful for every kind person who has taken a moment from her day stop in here and visit with me. It's incredibly helpful to have this daily support!
Old 08-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #163
Blabbermouth!!!

Did something new and cooked myself a piece of cod for lunch. I "fried" it in my nonstick skillet with sort of a "dry rub" of onion and garlic powders, paprika, dried parsley and S&P. I wished I'd thought to put some white pepper on, too, but it was already done before I thought of it.

Displaced Texan that I am, I'm not extremely confident about cooking fish. I have anxieties about whether it's done or not, and often get it TOO done. This came out nicely, though, and is a nice change from shrimp and chicken. I'm getting VERY sick of both of them, but want to go at least one more day without beef.

I did have a much larger portion than 100 grams, though. I had more like 6 ounces, and it still only came to about 130 calories. Yesterday and the day before, having shrimp and chicken, I only came out to about 430-440 calories at the end of the day, and that isn't enough. But I couldn't really think of a way to get it any higher. I just didn't WANT any more cabbage or cucumbers, and it would've taken a boatload of them to make 60 calories, anyway.

So I decided that when I eat super low calorie protein (seafood), I'm just going to have to eat a larger portion.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #164
Big Yapper!

I didn't know you were a Texan! Where did you live? Did you grow up there? I moved to the outskirts of San Antonio when I was 24. I lived in and around SA until I graduated from nursing school in December of 1993. Then I left for Vegas and lived there for 5 years. But I loved my time in TX. Once a Texan, always a Texan!

I only cooked fish one time in R1P2. I was shocked at how different it tasted without butter or some kind of oil. I usually cook mine with a lemon garlic butter sauce. So that was my first and last fish episode on Hcg. I got tired of chicken, too. Once I discovered the ground beef and rotel with spices, there was no going back. I ate that every single day almost without exception.

I had some shrimp with homemade cocktail sauce a couple of times. I used LC Heinz Ketchup and measured out 50 grams, then added a nice spoonful of horseradish. Tasted just like the real thing!

I rarely ate veggies because, there again, I want fat with them. Have you tried those Walden Farms dressings? Some of them are pretty good. They even can be purchased in little packets that you can throw into your purse. Dry salad just doesn't have to be!

That dressing you make with mustard sounds pretty good! I think you have some great ideas in the kitchen. Even the weights! Woohoo! I need to do that, too. I have a rebounder and it's been upstairs forever. I rarely ever go upstairs so today I brought it down into my living space and started jumping on it. It's a start!

I envy your heated pool! How wonderful that must be! Enjoy it for all of us.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:13 PM   #165
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OceanDreaming
Stats: 250/174/155
Quote:
Girl, I'm AMAZED and more impressed than I can say that you were able to do any training of any kind on this few calories. I'll bet you run lighter and faster without that nagging 16 pounds, though--so WELL DONE!
Thank you! It's officially 17 pounds today and I'll take it! I wanted something to get the scale moving again but I didn't really expect this! I was down two pounds this morning and gosh it was tempting to do another week. But I did a 13 mile run yesterday and my legs hurt like they have never hurt before! I just think I might be asking too much of this old body...I better feed it! I love your kitchen gym idea too! Your mom is a smart cookie! Have a great last week!
Old 08-03-2011, 05:18 PM   #166
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I didn't know you were a Texan! Where did you live? Did you grow up there?
I was born in Bryan/College Station (while my dad was at Texas A&M) but raised in Fort Worth, which is where my folks were from. I'm something like a fifth generation Texan--my family has been there for a long time.

Regarding the shrimp--I got the idea from you, and make my own cocktail sauce. I start with plain tomato sauce, add sweetener, vinegar and horseradish and yes--tastes exactly like the bottled kind. I doubt I'll ever bother to buy it again, in fact! I've cooked shrimp a few times with lemon juice and seasonings and such, but honestly, I prefer it cold with cocktail sauce!

I was eating a lot of chili, but I decided that I lose better on lower fat meats, so I've temporarily switched back to chicken and seafood. Getting quite tired of them, though, so my switch will probably end tomorrow!
Old 08-03-2011, 07:21 PM   #167
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Just stopping by to catch up here and tell you I am continuing to root for you and your great success, but I see that is simply not necessary. You are succeeding at an amazing speed, and all by your own will and determination, sticking to plan and living your life. I'm just amazed. Congratulations.

Do you notice a particular part of your body that has benefited the most from this method of weight loss, like belly fat going away, etc. or do you think that you are just losing evenly from all over.

Leaving in the morning for four days out of state, but wanted to get the chance to tell you how much I admire your resolve in doing this plan. I'll be looking forward to checking back in here when I return to see how you do in these next days. Continued good progress.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #168
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks, SH! You're always so upbeat! I hope you have a safe and fun trip.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #169
Blabbermouth!!!

So I think my dinner out tonight went ok. We went where I thought we would, The Blue Agave--Mexican, obviously.

I ordered a salad made of spinach, topped with apple slices, mushrooms and grilled chicken. (I know that doesn't sound very Mexican. It's kind of a frou-frou Cali/Mex place.) It was also supposed to have cojito cheese crumbles and tortilla strips, but I nixed those. I asked for dressing on the side, but didn't eat it.

It looked like a half an apple, and about a half a chicken breast, and I ate about a cup of raw spinach. I didn't eat the mushrooms because I only like cooked ones. The only question in my mind is what the chicken might've had on it in the way of seasonings. Obviously, the apple and the spinach were fine and right on my plan. I don't know exactly how many ounces of chicken I had, either, but it wasn't a whole boneless breast, for sure.

I guess if I'm up tomorrow, I'll know it had some sort of sugary seasoning. But I feel that I did rather well, considering.

Last edited by verbqueen; 08-03-2011 at 10:17 PM..
Old 08-04-2011, 08:52 AM   #170
Blabbermouth!!!

Good morning, world. No loss today, but that didn't surprise me since I ate out last night and all. Unfortunately, have to do it again today. Playing bridge all day at the local country club (I'm subbing in someone's group.)

They play until lunch time, then stop and order from the menu, then resume play. So I'll probably do exactly what I did last night--salad with chicken, dressing on the side. And hope it's not seasoned too inappropriately. And I think they have water and coffee sitting out all day, so I'll try to drink, drink, drink.

I went to bed last night feeling less hungry than I have in days, and I think it was due to the extra protein. It's amazing the power protein has to stop hunger in its tracks, as all Atkineers know. But did the extra protein stop me from losing, or was it the seasoning on the chicken? Or was it none of the above, just a pause in the process? Who knows?

Anyhoo, I won't be around to chat all day with my faithful journal-followers, but I love you all!
Old 08-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #171
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm back, and boy did I have a great day. No, I did not win--my cards sucked and I came in next to last. BUT, when I walked in the door, everyone said "OMG, what did you DO? You've lost so much weight!"

It was the first time I've really been out of the house to speak of, other than my trip to see son and hubby, since I started. I've been laying low, staying in, focusing all my energy on not being hungry and not feeling faint, haha. So suddenly, it all seemed worth it.

I just had one of those days where my outfit worked, my hair bounced, my makeup stayed on. Gosh. THANK YOU, hcg diet, for rocking my world!

(P.S. In the food department: they brought out a list of stuff we could pick from and we were just supposed to write our names by the lunch we chose. One choice was called the "lite lunch," and it was tilapia, rice and vegetables. So I jotted my name in tiny letters to give me enough room to write in "plain fish, no sauce, no rice" next to it. It appeared to have been dusted with flour and seasonings, but there was no oil on the plate and they did as I asked and left off the sauce (something with capers, from looking at other people's plates). There was also a leaf of lettuce and a slice of tomato, so I ate that and the fish. I was afraid to eat the mixed veggies, because they looked like they could have butter on them. So I figure I skipped my cracker and fruit for lunch to offset the flour on the fish, plus whatever fat it absorbed.

Although I was planning to have one of those P2 chilis I froze the other day for dinner tonight, I think I'll have a waldorf chicken salad with half an apple tonight, since I don't want to have a fattier meat not knowing how the tilapia was prepared. And that, once again, is the very best that I can do. I feel good about it.)

I stopped for groceries on the way home and spent something like 12 dollars--haha. All I needed was apples, grapefruits, lemons and a cabbage. My proteins are all packaged up and frozen, and I probably have another 3 week's worth in there. This diet is CHEAP!

Finally, I apologize for having to edit EVERY SINGLE POST! For an ex-English teacher, I am the worst proofreader ever. Soon as I click "save," I spot about a dozen typos. Arghhh.

Last edited by verbqueen; 08-04-2011 at 02:52 PM..
Old 08-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #172
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimmiecue
Stats: 153.4/146.4/125 5"4
WOE: HHCG
Start Date: April 2012
well I read your whole journal hahaha..you are too funny and very inspiring..and you survived week 3 yayyyyyy. I hope I have this much will power..I seem to think so at the moment as I am busting at the seams from fat overload

I do have 1 question tho. I did not get my drops in the mail til 11am so I took my first dose, ate my lunch and then took another dose before dinner, should I take my 3rd before bed and then do breakfast lunch and dinner tomorrow?
Old 08-04-2011, 04:36 PM   #173
Blabbermouth!!!

I think that sounds like a good plan, Kimmie.

Since you're loading and not trying to control hunger, I don't think it really matters what time you take them, long as you get your doses in! Good luck! It is just SO exciting to be on this plan--it totally makes up for any moments of feeling deprived or a little hungry! I'm really excited for you!
Old 08-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #174
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimmiecue
Stats: 153.4/146.4/125 5"4
WOE: HHCG
Start Date: April 2012
ok thats what I will do then, thankyou
Old 08-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #175
Big Yapper!

Quote:
I'm back, and boy did I have a great day. No, I did not win--my cards sucked and I came in next to last. BUT, when I walked in the door, everyone said "OMG, what did you DO? You've lost so much weight!"

It was the first time I've really been out of the house to speak of, other than my trip to see son and hubby, since I started. I've been laying low, staying in, focusing all my energy on not being hungry and not feeling faint, haha. So suddenly, it all seemed worth it.

I just had one of those days where my outfit worked, my hair bounced, my makeup stayed on. Gosh. THANK YOU, hcg diet, for rocking my world!

(P.S. In the food department: they brought out a list of stuff we could pick from and we were just supposed to write our names by the lunch we chose. One choice was called the "lite lunch," and it was tilapia, rice and vegetables. So I jotted my name in tiny letters to give me enough room to write in "plain fish, no sauce, no rice" next to it. It appeared to have been dusted with flour and seasonings, but there was no oil on the plate and they did as I asked and left off the sauce (something with capers, from looking at other people's plates). There was also a leaf of lettuce and a slice of tomato, so I ate that and the fish. I was afraid to eat the mixed veggies, because they looked like they could have butter on them. So I figure I skipped my cracker and fruit for lunch to offset the flour on the fish, plus whatever fat it absorbed.

Although I was planning to have one of those P2 chilis I froze the other day for dinner tonight, I think I'll have a waldorf chicken salad with half an apple tonight, since I don't want to have a fattier meat not knowing how the tilapia was prepared. And that, once again, is the very best that I can do. I feel good about it.)

I stopped for groceries on the way home and spent something like 12 dollars--haha. All I needed was apples, grapefruits, lemons and a cabbage. My proteins are all packaged up and frozen, and I probably have another 3 week's worth in there. This diet is CHEAP!

Finally, I apologize for having to edit EVERY SINGLE POST! For an ex-English teacher, I am the worst proofreader ever. Soon as I click "save," I spot about a dozen typos. Arghhh.
I do the same thing. I think I did a good job typing and I go ahead and post it, but I always proofread it and have to click Edit a bunch of times. Haste makes waste!

It's such "a gas" to see how happy you are on this plan! I love the cost of groceries on P2, also! Great way to save money, time in the kitchen and lose weight! How can you go wrong?

You do so well with all the eating-out. You're living the high-life in CA. I had to laugh when you said you were "laying low" and hanging at home more than usual. Seems like you're on the go so much when I read your posts.

Nite, sister! Catch you tomorrow. Hope it's a good scale day. If not, do an average of how much you've lost over how many days and that will help you put it into more perspective.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #176
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

Nite, sister! Catch you tomorrow. Hope it's a good scale day. If not, do an average of how much you've lost over how many days and that will help you put it into more perspective.
THANK YOU for these words of wisdom, my friend. I need to be reminded that I'm in the middle of a MIRACLE and it's not to be taken for granted!

Sweet dreams!
Old 08-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #177
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: privatediva
Stats: 128 (R2ldw 128) 5'7"
WOE: healthful, delicious low carb
Start Date: 6/28/2011 (started HCG) maintaining since 9/2011
Well, I'm *envious*! My hair does not now, nor did it nor will it, EVER, BOUNCE!!!! Lucky girl!

I have baby fine, baby blonde hair...more like duck down than hair, really! It's like I never grew up. It is no different than it was when I was 5. I'm very thankful none of my kids got my hair. In fact...not sure where they did get theirs! My husband had masses of dark, almost black, curls when he was younger. My Son's hair is light, straight and thick like the black forest. My older daughter's hair is super thick, super glossy, straight and honey blonde. My youngest has a glorious mane of very long, extremely curly flaming red hair. Go figure.

Glad you enjoyed your day!

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

I CAN HAVE THAT LATER
Old 08-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #178
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

I loved this part! Glad you had such a great time and got to feel GOOD about yourself!!
Old 08-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #179
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by privatediva View Post
Well, I'm *envious*! My hair does not now, nor did it nor will it, EVER, BOUNCE!!!! Lucky girl!

I have baby fine, baby blonde hair...more like duck down than hair, really! It's like I never grew up. It is no different than it was when I was 5. I'm very thankful none of my kids got my hair. In fact...not sure where they did get theirs! My husband had masses of dark, almost black, curls when he was younger. My Son's hair is light, straight and thick like the black forest. My older daughter's hair is super thick, super glossy, straight and honey blonde. My youngest has a glorious mane of very long, extremely curly flaming red hair. Go figure.

Glad you enjoyed your day!
The genetics of hair color and texture is wickedly crazy and complex.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:44 PM   #180
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by privatediva View Post

I have baby fine, baby blonde hair...more like duck down than hair, really! It's like I never grew up. It is no different than it was when I was 5.
It sounds adorable, actually.
Closed Thread