Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #1681
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
Just me stopping in to say goodnight. I had a good weekend on the eating front--stayed Atkins all weekend even though I had lunch at Chili's and then saw a movie with Hallie today. I feel like I'm getting my groove back, so to speak. Amazing how cutting yourself off of carbs for a few days is like having a fog lift--that terrible compulsion to overeat just goes away. Carbs really are like a drug...

I worked on my lesson plan all weekend and I think I'm ready to go. Man, I hope so--I report at 9:45 tomorrow.

Cheryl, I will mostly teach with echo-singing--I sing a phrase to them, they sing it back to me. It's actually easier for little kids to match pitch to a human voice than to a piano anyway, in my experience. The piano is a percussion instrument and not very voice-like. However, I do have an electric keyboard and a stand and I'm going to take them with me tomorrow just so I can have a way to find the right pitch for the songs I'm teaching. If I need to, I can play a little accompaniment to the song I'm teaching, but I'd rather not have to do that. Small children do better with singing if you can circulate through the group and listen to them and give them feedback rather than stand far away from them behind an instrument.

I only have each group for thirty minutes, so I've probably over-planned, but better too much to do than too little. I'm going to teach a few of the basics I do with all my groups at church. I have three positions--one standing and two sitting, and before each activity, I call out which position I want them in. So I will teach the positions, do some stretching and voice warm-ups, then do a little pitch matching singing back and forth with Fred the Puppet. Then I'll teach them the song I have planned. If they learn it well enough and we have time, we'll sing it in a round and/or play some handchimes with it. I think that'll easily fill my 30 minutes, but I have a back-up activity if I need it.

Next week I plan to start teaching them the American folk song and dance "Old Brass Wagon," so if I need more activities tomorrow, I'll start on the singing part of that. I don't want to do any movement until I see if classroom control is going to be an issue. I'm used to working with no more than 15 kids at a time, and these groups will be thirty! So if letting them stand up and wiggle will cause chaos, I do NOT want to do that on my first day!

Off to watch Downton Abbey! Will look in tomorrow.

My (old) HCG Journal

My NEW Journal

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #1682
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Carbs really ARE like a drug. They are sugar and sugar is addictive, just like caffeine and nicotine. I've yet to feel a compulsion to eat bacon. I'm glad you're doing well on Atkins so far.

I'm glad you've got your music classes figured out. They're going to love it, Jess. Fred the puppet? What does Fred look like? Hand chimes sound lovely! 30 kids? WOW! What a challenge for you, but I'm betting you will be very blessed by this experience, as will all of them be. (Stand up and wiggle.)

Have a lovely day. We are in a snow/freezing rain storm. I am taking the day off the farm. Do you even know about my job? You probably don't! Ask me and I'll fill you in.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #1683
Blabbermouth!!!

I read a few pages back on your journal and am thrilled about your job. I think one of the last things I said before my disappearing act in October was "I don't see why they don't just hire you." Obviously, they took my advice!

So look at both of us--both with a little tiny job--just enough and not too much--and both doing the thing we love! Life is good--and will be better when we kiss some extra flab goodbye.

My first day went just great! I just slid right into the grove with it. At the end of the last group, a bunch of little girls rushed up and hugged me and said, "that was fun. I love music!" Now that was music to MY ears!

This is my fifth day of Induction, although the first day I probably ate closer to 40 carbs than 20--but anyway, I'm having the energy thing and feeling like I could lift a Volkswagen with one hand. Hahaha.

I woke WAY too early, though, and have chorale practice tonight, so I'm hoping to take a little nap so I don't crash and burn.

Do keep warm and stay out of that weather!

Last edited by verbqueen; 01-28-2013 at 02:43 PM..
Old 01-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #1684
Blabbermouth!!!

P.S. Probably would be a good idea to post my meals for a while. It's been a long time since I did Atkins.

Breakfast: slice of White Castle pie topped with mustard and dill pickle slices, coffee
Lunch: tenderloin with butter, LC coleslaw
Snack: hunk of cheese
Dinner: will be chicken/Rotel stew with a blop of sour cream

Along with all this will be a lot of iced tea.

Yesterday I had the same brekky as today, a steak and a few pieces of broccoli at Chili's for lunch (I really hate broccoli) and a bowl of chicken stew for dinner, plus a Coke Zero and several glasses of iced tea. Oh, and hunk or two of cheese.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #1685
Big Yapper!

Bench press that VW! Rah! I remember how much you love that white castle pie. I should cook something like that but don't dare do it during Induction. I eat it all up in one day. I want a good, solid Induction; whether it's one week or longer. Wanna get that fat-burning engine running strong.

I have a pork tenderloin to cook. Perhaps I will go do that now. I'm so lazy now that I took that hot bath! I'm so happy that the class went so well. How thrilled you must have been when those little girls ran up and hugged you!

Our itty bitty jobs are just what the Dr ordered! More therapy than anything else.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #1686
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
Our itty bitty jobs are just what the Dr ordered! More therapy than anything else.
Exactly--a little bit of fun, a little bit of routine, but nothing to interfere with my professional lounging!
Old 01-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #1687
Big Yapper!

You got THAT right. These are the Golden Years.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:36 AM   #1688
Blabbermouth!!!

Good morning, world! I woke up feeling great again--the miracle that is removing sugar and starch from your body. (Actually, I always feel good, which is probably at least in part due to the fact that except for some eating sprees around holidays and vacations, I've been low carbing it for ten years!)

Today is day 6 of Atkins. I had bacon and sausage for breakfast, and plan to have a steak for lunch. I may also have a steak for dinner, or perhaps I will get Cheryl's pork loin prepared in time for that. (Not likely, though. I'm going to see War Horse at teh OC Performing Arts Center with my boss tonight, so will be eating early.)

I have an empty day today, but for my theater date later. My plan is to assemble this really cool bookcase nightstand I bought from fab.com a few weeks ago. I bought two, and the first one took me forever to assemble. It's not that it was complicated--it's that I need four arms to hold everything in place!

In addition, I need to make a run to Petsmart for some cat provisions. So while I'm out, I'll run by the grocery store for a pork loin. I'm also having a yen for a batch of Cheri's Southwestern Taco Soup (another fave from Linda Sue.) As I groove along with Atkins, I keep remembering favorite things I used to eat a lot.

OK, I'm off to wrestle that bookcase into submission. Laterz!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #1689
Big Yapper!

Don't forget, Jessica. It's a pork tenderloin. They are smaller and more tender. Enjoy the movie! Don't tell me too much about it because I haven't seen it yet and I plan to someday. Have fun!
Old 01-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #1690
Blabbermouth!!!

I promise not to tell the plot, but it's not the movie, it's the Broadway musical! The horses are done by puppeteers, and it's supposed to be fantastic! Takes three people to operate each horse!
Old 01-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #1691
Big Yapper!

Oh, cool! How fun is that? Have an excellent time, Jessica.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:25 AM   #1692
Blabbermouth!!!

War Horse was astounding--the puppetry was possibly the most amazing thing I've ever seen on stage. It's hard to call what they did "puppetry" because the horses are full-sized, maybe even larger than life, and the actors actually rode on them. There was no stopping and bursting into song like a typical broadway musical, but there were a couple of musicians onstage singing these beautiful and plaintive English folk tunes during certain scenes. It was heartbreaking and breathtaking and ultimately very emotionally satisfying. Now I want to see the movie.

Today I am going with my club on a bus trip to the Queen Mary in Long Beach, to see the Princess Diana traveling exhibit. I am in quite a pickle about it. Today will close out my first full week on Atkins, and I'm doing so well. However, part of this trip is a "high tea" at a tearoom along the way, and I paid quite a large bundle of $$ for the tea (we had to sign up for this back in November, and I didn't really think about being on Atkins when I signed up). But you know that the tea will be all scones and cakes and such, and I don't want to eat them! I have pretty much decided that I will try to "fake eat" my way through that event and hope no one quizzes me too much about it. (You know how I hate explaining my eating to people.) Then if I get hungry later, I believe there are restaurants on the ship and I'll see if there's something legal somewhere. WIll also take a pepperoni stick in my purse. After all, I already paid that money and it's gone whether I eat the tea or not, right? My weight and health are more important to me than eating cakes at a tearoom.

Wish me luck. Will report back later!
Old 01-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #1693
Big Yapper!

Old 01-31-2013, 12:59 PM   #1694
Blabbermouth!!!

Hello, world! I'm mobbed both yesterday and today, but want to quickly report that the Princess Di exhibit was fab--they had lots of her beautiful gowns and other personal items from the royal family: photos, letters and notes, even some recordings from Princess Di's answering machine that you could listen to. You stepped into a red English phone booth and lifted the handset to listen!

The tea menu was impossible--cucumber sandwiches, scones with clotted cream, and pastries. I paid $32 dollars to attend the tea, so I just ate it. Ate a normal low carb dinner last night (not very hungry, so I had bacon and a cheese hunk) and plan to leave that incident in my past. Since I'm not weighing daily yet, I don't know if I gained from being knocked out of ketosis or not. Nor do I care. I'm just plugging on on Induction, as planned. I'll weigh somewhere further down the line.

Looking forward to choir this afternoon and seeing my kids. They're singing a Shaker folk melody called Followers of the Lamb in worship this Sunday, and we're going to have them march down the center aisle playing a handdrum and some bells as they begin the song. Should be really fun and exciting for them!

Nice empty day tomorrow, so if I don't get back in tonight, I'll have plenty of time for a cozy chat in the morning.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #1695
Big Yapper!

Jessica, I'd have done the same thing. If that isn't a special occasion, what is? That's a lot of money to just sip on tea. I would have loved to see that exhibit, myself. What a tragedy when she died. Such a special woman.

Ooh! Those kids are going to look and sound so great this Sunday! I wish you could take a video and post it. Have you ever done that?

I hear ya about very busy days. I wonder how I ever lived such a slovenly life. I have so little free time anymore. It's good for me but bad for Cisco (my mutt.) I have to put forth extra effort for her to make up some of the difference. Like today, she got 15 minutes on the treadmill while I was working in the kitchen.

Speaking of "working in the kitchen", oh my Lord! What a mess it is in there. I have been avoiding all kitchen tasks for a week and it can't be ignored any longer. I hope I can get it sparkling clean during the weekend.

Last edited by CherylB; 01-31-2013 at 02:02 PM..
Old 01-31-2013, 10:32 PM   #1696
Blabbermouth!!!

Just home from choir and stopping before I go to bed. I'm pleased to say that I had a 100% on plan day, so I did not let that tearoom derail me. Breakfast was bacon and a slice of cheddar. Lunch was steak and LC coleslaw. Dinner was steak and a floret or two of broccoli (I hate it, but I ate a bite or two because it came with my steak.) I just had a SF jello cup with a tablespoon of hwc on top. Now off to bed!
Old 02-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #1697
Blabbermouth!!!

It's Friday! So far I've done some laundry and finally assembled my other cool bookshelf/end table from Fab. The first one is next to my piano and full of music. The one I assembled today will go in the bedroom near my bed. I'll post a pic later.

I made a batch of Taco Soup, and am having a bowl for lunch. It is delicious, but somewhat addictive. Later this afternoon, I intend to make Cheryl's pork tenderloin. I probably won't get to eat it until tomorrow, but thought I'd go ahead and at least get it cooked. May wait till tomorrow to cook it. We'll see.

So far today:

B: Kroger Carbmaster yogurt (banana cream pie flavor) with a sprinkling of toasted unsweetened coconut, bacon

L: taco soup

D: Hallie and I are going to the Melting Pot. She made straight A's in her first semester of grad school, and I told her we'd go out for a celebration. We do well at this place, because she eats all the breads and starches, being a vegetarian, and I eat all the meats. It'll be hard to pass up the dessert fondue, but I will do it. I'll have a nice coffee with heavy cream instead.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #1698
Blabbermouth!!!

Good morning, LCF. (Still morning, here on the left coast.) I did great at the Melting Pot. It's really an easy place to low carb. Hallie and I had the four course meal. We had the beer-cheese appetizer fondue. I passed the bread cubes over to her side of the table and I took the broc and cauli. I had a caesar salad, hold the croutons, and for my main course, I picked the original, which had beef, chicken, pork and shrimp. Sounds like a lot, but the plate just has two or three small pieces of each item. We chose the broth cooking method, and I used only the low carb sauces (they had several sweet ones, but I pushed those to Hallie's side of the table.) When the dessert fondue came, I ordered a cup of decaf and took two strawberries off the dessert platter. Success!

On task for today is to pick up some groceries for Super Bowl watching tomorrow and replace a few things I've run out of, then possibly a trip to the Sprint store. I'm seriously considering entering the modern world and getting a smart phone. Shocking, no? I'm meeting my friend Pam at a neighborhood restaurant for dinner. It's an easy place to low carb, also--I can get a charcoal grilled tri-tip and a salad on the side.

Also gonna load up my bookcase side table with books. Very exciting.

Happy Saturday!

Today's food:

B: 1/2 carton of Carbmaster yogurt, bacon
L: bowl of taco soup
D: will be tri-tip and salad
Old 02-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #1699
Blabbermouth!!!

Back from the grocery store with some good stuff--some smoked sausage to heat in some of my homemade SF bbq sauce, plus a bunch of celery that I have already cut up into celery sticks to use with dips. That way I can enjoy some game snacks, too! Probably will make some cheese crackers with some Deluxe American cheese, too.

I also got the stuff to make that George Stella Meat Lasagna that I like so much. Won't make it until next week, tho--I have soup and will have a pork tenderloin to work on, so I won't need anything else for a while.

Can you tell I'm really enjoying doing some low carb cooking, haha? After over a year of mostly eating chicken, lean sirloin, apples and cabbage, it's fun! (However, I'm still planning to do an hhcg round at some point in the future. Just enjoying a spell of low carbing first to kill the appetite monster.)

I haven't weighed yet, but my size ten jeans were a little tight of late, and today they are much more comfortable. (I gave away all the 12s and 14s, and I'm glad I did. That way I CAN'T put on much weight, or I'll have to go naked!)

Later!
Old 02-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #1700
Big Yapper!

You sure are having fun! I hope you like your smartphone more than I do. I am tempted (STILL) to go back to my Blackberry, or trade the Samsung touchscreen in for something less "touchy." Damn thing drives me crazy at times. And texting and emailing are so much harder with the onscreen keyboard. Do you have a Blackberry or something with a "QWERTY keyboard"? It's a big adjustment and the phone seems to turn itself on when in your pocket. I don't like it all that much.

And when I go to a website like LCF, somehow it shows the entire page on the screen. You can imagine how small the print is. So I take my two fingers and expand the screen, but then I have to be moving the screen left to right, left to right and then slowly down to read it all. And it sometimes just jumps back to the original full-page view. I DO like the GPS, though. Much better than the Blackberry. And the Apps are fun.

Have fun tomorrow with your Superbowl party. I will be hanging here at home.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #1701
Blabbermouth!!!

Morning, world. Just a quick check-in before I head to church. Stayed on plan easily at the restaurant last night, and feeling great!

Cheryl, no party for me. Hallie's coming over and we'll make some snacks and probably watch the commercials and pretty much ignore the rest, haha. If you wanna call that a party, well, that's our party!

Didn't get a phone yet, but Hal says I should get the previous generation iPhone (she says never get the newest technology--wait for the price to drop.)

Later, y'all.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #1702
Big Yapper!

My phone is one of the older touchscreen versions. My sister and her family all got the latest Samsung and it's much bigger than mine. Good plan to not get something that isn't tried and true. Enjoy your evening with Hallie!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:23 PM   #1703
Blabbermouth!!!

Belated happy Monday to the LCF world. Today was my teaching day, plus my chorale practice, so I've been rushed and no time to play on the internet.

Eating was excellent, though. No meals out or company or anything--makes it SO much easier. I don't know if I'm feeling any thinner, but I'm definitely feeling GOOD, and that counts for something.

Nighty night!
Old 02-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #1704
Blabbermouth!!!

Holy smokes, but I'm busy this week. Yesterday I had three different appointments. Today, I was supposed to get an IPL treatment, but didn't (there's a story there--will tell later), and then I have my long Thursday choir day in a little while. Then bridge at YL country club all day tomorrow. Sheesh.

However, the good news is that today makes 2 weeks back on Atkins, and I feel so good! I haven't weighed, but I'd imagine I've lost some. I feel tighter, unbloated and less jiggly. And MOST important--appetite is totally reduced. I was a raging monster after my holiday indulgences--literally wanted to tear the house apart to look for sweets and starches. Now I'm sane again. Thank you, Atkins!

It hasn't been a clean induction by any means. There was the Queen Mary tearoom incident, and I've had greek yogurt and a few almonds and strawberries. I more like jumped right into OWL. But that's ok. It has done what I so desperately needed it to do--killed the appetite monster.

I had thought I was going to start another hcg round right after Christmas, and I simply COULD NOT do it. I'd try for like, an hour, and then give up. Obviously, I had my blood sugar in an uproar and starting an austere diet was simply out of the question. Some time in the next few weeks, I will try again, but for now, I'll plug along with my old friend Atkins.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #1705
Blabbermouth!!!

P.S. I got an iPhone!
Old 02-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #1706
Big Yapper!

I feel really good on Atkins, too. I'm on day 14 myself. Didn't know we started back on LC at the same time. I hear ya about the crazed searching for naughty foods and drink. Isn't it nuts? Shows what a drug carbs are.

I hope you enjoy your iphone! And if you do decide to dive into hhcg again, best of luck to you. I have no plans to try a round anytime in the near future. I'm content right now to just take the slow and hopefully steady road.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #1707
Blabbermouth!!!

Saturday night check-in:

Feeling good. Slept quite late this morning. (9:30!) Got up and made a White Castle pie, so had a delayed brekkie because I had to wait for it to cook and cool. While I had the oven hot, I decided to make Cheryl's pork tenderloin with mustard sauce. WOW--it was great! So I had a small serving of that for lunch, then met Hallie at a shopping center and after a bit of shopping, had tri-tip and collard greens at a barbecue place for dinner.

On tap for tonight is some pre-recorded TV, a bubble bath, and hopefully an early bedtime, though that seems a wee bit unlikely in light of how late I slept.

Nighty night.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #1708
Blabbermouth!!!

Back from church,and just had a plate of the above meal, reheated in microwave.

For anyone who stumbles by and wants Cheryl's recipe--here it is as made by yours truly:

1 1.5 pound pork tenderloin, brought to room temperature, rinsed and dried.

Seasoning rub:

1 teaspoon each:

garlic powder
dried oregano
cumin
coriander
thyme

I also added 1/2 t. salt and 1/2 t. white pepper. Next time I will omit the salt. The herb rub is very flavorful, and the sauce is salty, so I don't think it's necessary. I will probably increase the pepper to a teaspoon. I love the subtle zip that white pepper imparts.

I mixed all spices and seasonings in a ziplock bag, then added the rinsed and dried pork tenderloin. I shook it until the tenderloin was completely covered and pressed any remaining spice blend into the pork.

While preparing the pork, I heated my cast iron grill pan in a 500 degree oven. When oven and pan had reached 500 degrees, I removed the pan to the highest flame on my gas cooktop. I drizzled my tenderloin with oil and quickly seared it on all sides. Then I put the pan with the tenderloin in it into the hot oven. I baked mine for 8 minutes (Cheryl's recipe said 5.5 minutes per pound), then without opening the oven door, turned off the heat and left the pan in the oven for about 50 minutes. I then removed the loin from the oven, placed it on a carving board and let it sit undisturbed for 10 minutes before carving. It was perfect--browned on the outside, extremely juicy inside.

While it cooked, I microwaved 1/3 c. butter and 4 oz (half a cube) of cream cheese until just softened. After whisking them together until smooth, I added 1 T. yellow mustard and 1 T. of Dijon mustard, 1/2 t. dried tarragon and 1/2 dried thyme, plus a dash or two of white pepper. I whisked that in and returned the mixture to the microwave until hot. I thought it was a bit thick for pouring, so I whisked in 2-3 T. of heavy cream. Wow! Best sauce EVER. Was delicious on the pork--would be great on broccoli or asparagus, chicken or fish, most anything!

This dish will be the star of my next dinner party (assuming there ever IS a next dinner party, haha!)

It was as delicious reheated as it was right out of the oven!

Last edited by verbqueen; 02-10-2013 at 12:26 PM..
Old 02-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #1709
Big Yapper!

Jessica, I like your bag for the seasonings idea but even if you don't sear the meat on the stove, it comes out brown and crispy in the oven all by itself. It doesn't seem like it would but I've made it twice and each time, YUMMO. Maybe next time just skip the searing and see for yourself how easy this recipe really is!

You're making me hungry. Stop that! Have a wonderful night. Sounds very relaxing. Or was that last nights plan?
Old 02-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #1710
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Calli
Stats: 276->225; 225->190; 190->165
WOE: hHCG, JUDDD, Paleo/Primal, IF
Start Date: August 2012
Hi Jessica
I have been stumbling by regularly as you have so much good information about living and eating properly! (and I confess I also follow up your shopping recommendations as I'm losing weight and am fashion challenged).

So, very glad you posted the recipe for the pork - I'll try it when I'm back to P3 on march 12!

Have a great week - hope the weather's not getting you down this year!

Calli
Closed Thread