LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2011, 07:18 AM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dbunny
Stats: 5'10"
WOE: Atkins ~ HCG
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbqueen View Post
Oops! I left out the drop of Sweetzfree that should be in this recipe (or packet of sweetener.) Gotta have that sweet/hot/vinegar/cilantro thing going on to taste like Thai!
Quote:
Oh! That's right in the zone where I could take my daughter (who works at Chapman) to lunch there some week! Putting that on my list...

You must have moved? Last time I looked at your profile, it said Orange!
I forgot to update my profile when I got back on the boards..
Yes, we moved to St Louis...hot and sticky here. I sure do miss the California weather. I lived off of Batavia and Lincoln by the Santa Ana "river". Great trails by there. We could see the Disneyland fireworks out of our kitchen window.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2011, 09:13 AM   #92
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by privatediva View Post
This is brilliant and consider yourself LOVED (by me and all those kids) for your "mission". You are right about the unaffected nature of kid's views on vocalism. When I was just married I had children's choirs in a church where my husband and I were singing. (he is a tenor, we met at conservatory) It was my goal to get every kid to understand how to match pitch and be part of the sound. When I was little, there were kids who were told to mouth the words because they were "tone deaf" and I always felt so bad for them. There is *no such thing* as being "tone deaf" and if a person hears anything at all, I can teach them to match pitch. It is extremely simple when they are young...still in the language learning period of their lives. It just needs to be treated as an important life skill, like stringing together a sentence or counting to one hundred. What you are doing is immensely valuable...not just to the kids you are working with. SO THANK YOU
Yes yes yes! I start teaching pitch-matching to the very littlest ones with puppets. I have an owl puppet and it "hoots" at them at various pitches and they hoot back at the same pitch. And I have a million more pitch games, ha ha...

With my elementary school age group, I sing the roll call, making up a tiny tune for each child's name, and they must sing "I am here" back to me in the same little phrase. They LOVE this and never let me forget to do it, and they prefer for me to make up really complex and HIGH little melodies.

Such fun!! We are on summer break and I can hardly wait to get back to it!

My (old) HCG Journal

My NEW Journal

Last edited by verbqueen; 07-30-2011 at 10:00 AM..
Old 07-30-2011, 09:54 AM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jnaakins
Stats: 206/155/145
WOE: hhcg
Start Date: 7-18-2011
So neat about the music, I admit I dont understand much about the complexities of singing but it sounds like you're doing a really important thing for the kids I know my kids would love that!

Congrats on the loss this morning, almost a full pound! WTG!!
Old 07-30-2011, 09:59 AM   #94
Blabbermouth!!!

Ok, here I sit, pellets ingested, coffee in hand, all weighed for another day. I was down .8 this morning, which is a net loss of .4 when you consider yesterday's .4 bump-up.

It's not dazzling, but it is a loss, and I'll take it. Geez, though--I'm going to have to really pick up the pace to even match Week 2's underwhelming 3.2 pounds.

I guess I sorta flamed out in the first week...

Last edited by verbqueen; 07-30-2011 at 10:02 AM..
Old 07-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #95
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: privatediva
Stats: 128 (R2ldw 128) 5'7"
WOE: healthful, delicious low carb
Start Date: 6/28/2011 (started HCG) maintaining since 9/2011
you're my hero, VQ...I work with "serious" voice students these days. I don't take anyone younger than 15 ever (because they should be taking piano and singing in a choir to learn music, not devoting themselves exclusively to the technical aspects of solo singing) but most of my students are college and career aged. I don't ever get those kids without people like you, who instill a love of singing in them at an early age.

Funny thing...I do use "noises" still...a whole lot, even with my professional singers! When people are very studied, they can take on certain tendencies to be "affected" in their singing...poseurs really...and it creates all sorts of tensions that make them look weird or have trouble with the passagio or high notes. If you have them make noises in pitch, they stop that, so that you can prove to them they do so have those notes Once they can no longer deny that their instrument is actually capable of phonating at a certain pitch level, it becomes easier to work on getting to free their voice enough to actually sing up there.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:22 AM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
This makes me wonder-what's the science behind doing it longer than one or two weeks? I haven't done MUCH research on this diet, other than when I got a deal in my inbox for $19 drops. And that's why I started paying more attention on here, but haven't read a single book or anything.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:41 AM   #97
Blabbermouth!!!

Well, the original protocol developed by Dr. Simeon was for either a "regular" round, which comes to23 days including the loading days plus three weeks of "VLC" or very low calorie dieting, or an extended round of 40 days. Part of the big appeal of this protocol is that if you do it as advertised, with a limited period of very low calorie dieting followed by a stabilization period that is basically Atkins induction, you would supposedly reset your metabolism and your "set point" weight at the new weight. Then if you need to lose more, you can restart another cycle after your weight is stable.

That actually makes a lot of sense to me. I can't help but think some serious metabolism damage could be done by doing this ultra low calorie thing indefinitely.

However, many people with a lot of weight to lose do a very long extended VLC program. Whether that's effective or not, I couldn't really say.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:58 AM   #98
Blabbermouth!!!

I've had a thought--gonna try to go a couple of days without beef. I'll miss it horribly because I LOVE red meat (mom tells me that when I was a tiny little girl, if you asked me my favorite food, I'd say "steak!") But I read on the hcg folder that beef slows some people down, so what the heck--I'll see what happens.

Heading to the kitchen to take out some of my ziplock bags of chicken tenders to thaw!
Old 07-30-2011, 11:55 AM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OceanDreaming
Stats: 250/174/155
Quote:
I've had a thought--gonna try to go a couple of days without beef. I'll miss it horribly because I LOVE red meat (mom tells me that when I was a tiny little girl, if you asked me my favorite food, I'd say "steak!") But I read on the hcg folder that beef slows some people down, so what the heck--I'll see what happens.

Heading to the kitchen to take out some of my ziplock bags of chicken tenders to thaw!
You're still averaging 0.8 pounds PER DAY! I think you're doing great. But by all means, try the chicken!
Old 07-30-2011, 12:34 PM   #100
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Well, the original protocol developed by Dr. Simeon was for either a "regular" round, which comes to23 days including the loading days plus three weeks of "VLC" or very low calorie dieting, or an extended round of 40 days. Part of the big appeal of this protocol is that if you do it as advertised, with a limited period of very low calorie dieting followed by a stabilization period that is basically Atkins induction, you would supposedly reset your metabolism and your "set point" weight at the new weight. Then if you need to lose more, you can restart another cycle after your weight is stable.

That actually makes a lot of sense to me. I can't help but think some serious metabolism damage could be done by doing this ultra low calorie thing indefinitely.

However, many people with a lot of weight to lose do a very long extended VLC program. Whether that's effective or not, I couldn't really say.
So do people usually lose after a round, during the Induction type phase? Or does that help maintain?
Old 07-30-2011, 12:50 PM   #101
Blabbermouth!!!

I think the goal is NOT to lose, but to maintain within a 2 pound window (or maybe it's 3 or 4 pounds--can't quite remember) of the weight you were on your last day of taking the hcg. What you do is continue the very low calorie diet for two days without taking any drops--this is to allow the remaining hormone to leave your system, then start the induction style diet. Some people apparently lose a little during those two 500 calorie days without the hcg. The Simeon's people say that this stabilizing phase is the most important--that if you don't pretty much stay the same weight for those three weeks after, you won't reset and you will continue to battle regaining the weight quickly.

It makes a lot of sense to me. I'm trying to decide now whether to stop after the 23 day plan or go for 40. If my losses continue to creep along super-slowly, I think I'll just move onto phase 3, get good and stable, and then try to do another round hope to get another big first week or so.

I'll guess I'll decide in a few days when I see how this last week is going to come out.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #102
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you for explaining that! And...for being the guinea pig!
Old 07-30-2011, 07:27 PM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dbunny
Stats: 5'10"
WOE: Atkins ~ HCG
My losses were really good the first 2 weeks, then week 3, not so much...but the next 2 were better. However, next round will be a shorter one. 40 days was doable, but feel like I lost some muscular "structure"~ I feel squishy. And towards the end, I felt completely wiped out.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:31 AM   #104
Blabbermouth!!!

Down .6 this morning, and I had to weigh in 2 hours earlier than usual due to getting up early for church, so I think it could have been even more. Hooray!
Old 07-31-2011, 09:15 AM   #105
Major LCF Poster!

If this was Facebook, I'd "like" your last post.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:46 AM   #106
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon bit View Post
If this was Facebook, I'd "like" your last post.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:00 PM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

I know that early church weigh in! I had to also and only down a half a pound (my scale only measures in half pound increments, so I guess it could be less or more). I hope to see something more exciting tomorrow!
Old 07-31-2011, 01:16 PM   #108
Blabbermouth!!!

Haha, Diva. Seriously, how sad is it when you good to bed thinking "oh DARN, I have to go to church tomorrow so I can't weigh at the regular time"? Ha! I think I'm slipping over the edge into the land of obsession!

P.S. Thanks for the good word, bacon and speck!
Old 07-31-2011, 01:24 PM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

Actually...I think I'm going to exercise some discipline and skip weighing on Sundays from now on. I probably have a lot more important things to focus on, especially on Sunday morning, so maybe I should do that and quit thinking about myself so much. Ok....that's my new plan. I'll let you know if I turn out to be full of bologna. Oh....bologna...mmmm (I don't really like it)
Old 07-31-2011, 05:24 PM   #110
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: One_Blessed
Verbqueen--read one of your post regarding Land O Lakes Sugar Free Whipped Cream Can.
I live in the inland Empire, can you tell me where you found it in Orange County?
Thanks,
Lanna
Old 07-31-2011, 05:26 PM   #111
Junior LCF Member

Couldn't find a way to private message you, like other boards.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:40 PM   #112
Blabbermouth!!!

Lanna, I think you have to have more posts before you are able to send and receive private messages.

However, since it doesn't involve a website or a product that can be sold online, I don't think it's against board policies for me to tell you that I get the cream at the Walmart in Chino Hills (in that big shopping area at the Grand and highway 71). It's the only Super Walmart that I know of in this area, and it has a HUGE assortment of products available. Good place to do low carb shopping.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:26 PM   #113
Junior LCF Member

Thank You sooo much!! That's not too far from me. My husband has looked EVERYWHERE else. Thanks again
Lanna
Old 07-31-2011, 08:14 PM   #114
Blabbermouth!!!

Glad to help! I was super happy to find it, because my Albertson's here in Yorba Linda abruptly stopped carrying it about 3 years ago, but I knew it was still made.

Also, FWIW, you can find the Calorie Countdown (formerly Carb Countdown) milks at most Stater Brothers stores.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:31 PM   #115
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

I did do this, btw. Yesterday and today both, my two proteins were shrimp and chicken. I will probably go ahead and finish out week three without beef, just for grins. Hey, maybe that's what helped me finally lose this week?
Old 08-01-2011, 09:31 AM   #116
Blabbermouth!!!

This morning's weigh-in: down .4.

Not dazzling, but a loss, and I am grateful.

If I do the short protocol, tomorrow would be my lat VLC day with pellets. However, I'm almost 100% decided to extend for one more week. I just edged into a new decade this morning, and I'd like to get a little more solidly into it before I stop.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:28 AM   #117
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OceanDreaming
Stats: 250/174/155
Yeah, I'm very tempted to do a short round too but I'd really like to get into the 160s before I do that. As it is, I haven't been in the 170s in over a decade so I'm so thrilled I could spit! You're doing great Jessica!
Old 08-01-2011, 10:44 AM   #118
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
You're doing great Jessica!
Old 08-01-2011, 02:45 PM   #119
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanDreaming View Post
Yeah, I'm very tempted to do a short round too but I'd really like to get into the 160s before I do that. As it is, I haven't been in the 170s in over a decade so I'm so thrilled I could spit! You're doing great Jessica!
As always, I am right there with you! I'm tickled pink!

My ultimate goal weight is 165. I don't think I can make that without doing another round, so it's hard to say exactly when to quit this one....

Isn't it delightful to have to decide when to STOP losing, instead of having to try to figure out why you AREN'T losing?
Old 08-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #120
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Isn't it delightful to have to decide when to STOP losing, instead of having to try to figure out why you AREN'T losing?
YES!!!!!!!!

I have been tempted over the last couple of weeks to be dumb and be thinner than I actually like myself...because this works! Several years ago I was going through some severe things that caused me to lose way too much. I think I was around 128, and I looked baaaad even though that is well within normal range for my height. I don't like skinny, my husband doesn't like skinny and so I need to not go with my natural over-achiever tendency and be that little again. I'm an athletic person. At 145, I look pretty danged good, but still strong. So...I'm compromising and going a little lower than that for insurance, and because 145 usually puts me in between pants sizes where I have to choose between baggy or tight.
Closed Thread