Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 08:51 PM   #961
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
Heidi, I was just visiting your blog to wish you a very happy birthday. But I'll bet you've already gone to bed now...

I noticed it this morning, but I had computer problems all day and couldn't post. All resolved now. Sorry for the late (but really sincere!) good wishes!

Anyhoo, had a very helpful discussion with Deb about how she managed her P3. She took Shelby's advice and has tried to balance her fat grams and protein grams. I looked back at my ****** and saw that I eat WAY more fat grams. That's what worked for me on Atkins, and that's how my thinking has been geared for years now--always looking for a way to add butter, oil, salad dressing, whatever, to keep those fat grams up! But for many in P3, it's all about getting enough protein, and I think I haven't been. So I'm going to focus on that for a few days and see how it goes!

Thanks to all of you for looking in on me and for the vote of confidence. I heart all of you!

(Hugs to you, Pooti. I know you're scared, but I think you have the toughest thing behind you--my sis said surgery and radiation were WAY easier than the chemo. Love to you, dear heart. )

My (old) HCG Journal

My NEW Journal

Last edited by verbqueen; 10-25-2011 at 08:52 PM..

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #962
Blabbermouth!!!

P.S. Also had a good talking-to with myself today. To those who've reminded me that I should be joyous at my miraculous and (to me) surprising weight loss, you are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. I'm going to really try not to sulk. So what if it takes me a few weeks to learn how to give my body what it wants to maintain at this weight? It's not like I'm in a hurry.

So I resolve to be more cheerful. Honest!
Old 10-26-2011, 09:13 AM   #963
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dogsrule
Stats: 255/143.0/125
WOE: Atkins/IF/hCG
Start Date: January 2005
Resolute, cheerfulness is not required!

Perhaps your body is really try to establish new metabolic pathways that it previously has not had to use. Think of an extending P3 as the normal part of dieting, BUT with ALL the weight loss loaded on the front end of your time! Now doesn't that sound much better! I know I would MUCH rather lose all the weight and enjoy the slim body sooner rather than later... in fact since I tend to be impatient, as SOON AS POSSIBLE.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:39 AM   #964
Blabbermouth!!!

Beautifully put, Dana, and honestly, that IS exactly what hcg is--front-loaded dieting, since it simply doesn't work unless you do the stuff after--P3 and P4--with as much commitment as you do the first part. (And it's easy enough to prove that to yourself if you read all the posts from those who failed to keep the hcg weight off. They are the ones who didn't throw themselves into P3 and P4 and try to do them exactly as the plan outlines.)

I also read a great post last night from my LCF buddy Dusk, whose therapist made a great point to her--you can't be a perfectionist about food and exercise. Some days will be 100%, but some just won't. Her therapist used the object lesson of a ruler. If you don't feel like going all the way to your BEST some days--all the way to the 12 end of the ruler, that doesn't mean that you have to throw in the towel, be filled with despair and drop down to zero on the ruler. It's ok to have a 6 or an 8 day sometimes. Now--I'm not one to give up and binge eat or go off plan, but I seem to get emotionally despairing when I have a bad day, and that's just another version of that all-or-nothing, perfectionist thinking. My weight will NOT be some ideal number every morning of my life, but that should not leave me near tears. It's ok to have some days that are a 6 on the old ruler, right?

Anyway, I just ate a "leptin reset" style (BAB Big-a$$ breakfast) and had exactly 56 grams of fat and 56 grams of protein. I don't really snack anyway, nor do I eat starch or sugar, so those other leptin reset things are already standard for me. I don't really intend to give up dairy, though. We'll see how it goes. Thank you, Deb, for the nutritional counseling session!

Oh--almost forgot! The yogurt day did WAY better than the steak day--2.2 pounds down, and back to an acceptable 164.

Onward into the adventure....
Old 10-26-2011, 10:07 AM   #965
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 144/143.6/130
WOE: IE/M&E
Great Attitude and great weigh in. Way to Go!!
Old 10-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #966
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
"Onward into the adventure" indeed! Now there's a good siggy quote. I love that you are finding peace and perspective. Wooohoooo! Next is equilibrium from the inside out.

Luv ya, girl.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #967
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: privatediva
Stats: 128 (R2ldw 128) 5'7"
WOE: healthful, delicious low carb
Start Date: 6/28/2011 (started HCG) maintaining since 9/2011
Glad for the yogurt day drop, Jess. I wouldn't be able to do no dairy, I don't think...although I did really enjoy the coconut cream on berries. I made mine with egg white protein rather than the suggested raw egg...and it was really delicious.

Today I'm experimenting with what I suspect may be my first and last wheat. We'll see....good time for an experiment as my stressful little days this week had me 2 under LDW. I just made a low carb tortilla quesedilla...and it was pretty awesome I bet it doesn't go well though. If anything is gonna screw with me in this thing, it will be the wheat.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

I CAN HAVE THAT LATER
Old 10-26-2011, 11:45 AM   #968
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by privatediva View Post
Glad for the yogurt day drop, Jess. I wouldn't be able to do no dairy, I don't think...although I did really enjoy the coconut cream on berries. I made mine with egg white protein rather than the suggested raw egg...and it was really delicious.

Today I'm experimenting with what I suspect may be my first and last wheat. We'll see....good time for an experiment as my stressful little days this week had me 2 under LDW. I just made a low carb tortilla quesedilla...and it was pretty awesome I bet it doesn't go well though. If anything is gonna screw with me in this thing, it will be the wheat.
I hear you, because I also fear the wheat! However, in regard to the gastric difficulties wheat causes me, it's definitely dose sensitive. One small serving of wheat doesn't set me off--it takes more. So you may be perfectly fine with the occasional tortilla, with both weight and inflammation.

I will be very interested to see how it goes for you!
Old 10-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #969
Major LCF Poster!

yep...that little quesadilla was pretty wonderful. It would be nice to be able to do that because it's so quick, easy and yummy
Old 10-26-2011, 07:31 PM   #970
Senior LCF Member

Leptin reset

Congrats on the yogurt CD! What are the rules for that?

Jess, Have you tried the leptin reset rules? I'm thinking about trying that once firmly in P3. I do think that my snacking quickly escalates into meals, however eating too much at any one meal definitely sets of an insulin response. I read that in particular from Dr. Berenstein's diabetic solution books. A diabetic will have an insulin response if they over eat regardless of the type of food consumed. Must be something about an extended stomach.

If you did try the leptin reset did it make any difference?

It's time to start living, and not just dreaming.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...going-try.html
Old 10-26-2011, 09:59 PM   #971
Blabbermouth!!!

The yogurt correction is a day of four meals of 8 oz of plain, full fat Greek yogurt. I flavor mine with Torani or DaVinci syrups, or if I have them, add berries to some of the meals. It seems to reliably yield a 2 pound or more loss.

(It's not part of Dr. S's original protocol--something I learned here on LCF in the hcg forums.)

I haven't officially tried the leptin thing, but I decided to try to work in some of the principles!

Speaking of trying things, today I ended up with 2100 calories, and almost exactly even fat and protein grams. Anxious to see how the next few weigh-ins go. (Maybe even dreading it a little--so tired of this roller coaster of correction days...)
Old 10-27-2011, 07:57 AM   #972
Major LCF Poster!

so??? how are we this morning?
Old 10-27-2011, 11:13 AM   #973
Blabbermouth!!!

UP a pound, to 165. Still in window, but only by .4.

Is it my same pattern continuing--gaining on any day that's not a correction day? Can't tell yet. Will continue the higher calorie, balanced protein and fat plan for a few more days, unless I go so high that I'm scared not to correct.

I have to admit, I was awfully disappointed. I foolishly hoped to stay the same this morning. I know that's silly--a change in macros doesn't "work" that fast, and all that. But still disappointed.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:20 AM   #974
Major LCF Poster!

dang it

I'll look in tomorrow. Hang in there.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #975
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
But, on the other hand, 165 was your goal. Hey, I'm trying to look on the bright side here. Thanks for the birthday wishes. I totally ate cake.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:58 PM   #976
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon bit View Post
But, on the other hand, 165 was your goal. Hey, I'm trying to look on the bright side here. Thanks for the birthday wishes. I totally ate cake.
I TOTALLY hoped you did!
Old 10-27-2011, 10:29 PM   #977
Blabbermouth!!!

So I had 154 grams of fat today and 156 grams of protein. I can't get it much more balanced than that! It totaled about 2100 calories. I'm nervously awaiting tomorrow's weigh-in. (But I bought steak and yogurt, both, today--so I'm prepared for a correction day. We shall see....
Old 10-28-2011, 08:47 AM   #978
Big Yapper!

Well, don't keep us waiting! Drum roll is rolling....
Old 10-28-2011, 08:55 AM   #979
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: misslatte
Stats: 5'11" - 260/~175
yes, any updates?
Old 10-28-2011, 09:20 AM   #980
Blabbermouth!!!

Just the usual bad news--up .8 pounds, to 165.8.

I'm doing a steak correction day today. They don't work as well for me as yogurt, but frankly, I can't fit a day of eating only yogurt into my life today. I have my book club coming over for lunch (and I should be working on that lunch right now, but knew youse guys would be waiting for an update), have to pick Dave up at the airport this evening, and he'll want to go out to dinner on the way home. Life is too complicated for me to have to be constantly doing correction days!

I just had a steak for breakfast, will "fake eat" at my book club (I'm serving ham, broccoli and cheese tart, apples with caramel dip, a veggie platter, spinach salad and apple caramel cake.) I'll eat another steak mid-afternoon, and I'm guessing that Dave will want to go to Cafe El Cholo on the way home, and if I'm hungry, I can have carne asada (that's Mexican restaurant talk for steak!)

We have full weekend of social stuff booked, and I don't even know yet how I'm going to handle all that. One day at a time.

Have I mentioned that I freaking HATE my body this week?

(P.S. For enquiring minds--this is my OTHER book club, not the salad bar one. I belong to two! In this one, the hostess serves lunch, and everyone really gets into the cooking, so I can't wimp out and order a pizza or something!)

Last edited by verbqueen; 10-28-2011 at 09:21 AM..
Old 10-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #981
Big Yapper!

Another busy day in the life of dear, ol' Jessica! That menu for the book club sounds wonderful! Sorry you can't partake. Your iron will is something I really admire. I ain't got that particular gene.

Please think more about what I PM'd you. What your doing (every other day corrections) is no way to live and isn't solving anything. I admire you for trying your best, though.

Have a most excellent weekend with your dear hubby and find peace with your "freaking body." Hahahaha!

PS: If you would like to trade places, we are expecting our first snow storm on Saturday/Sunday. 6-10" predicted of heavy, wet snow (the worst kind.) The leaves are still on the trees and Halloween has yet to occur! I'll be scurrying around like a squirrel, preparing for the onslaught. I hear folks firing up their snow blowers, testing them out. I'll be bringing in wood for the fireplace, clearing the driveway of all tree droppings and raking a nice, wide path from the street to the front door, where the mailman delivers my mail. My neighbors have been kind enough in the past to help me with their snow blowers, so I want to make sure that there are no leaves or sticks that might harm their machines.

Last edited by CherylB; 10-28-2011 at 09:43 AM..
Old 10-29-2011, 09:51 AM   #982
Blabbermouth!!!

And my own personal roller coaster from hell continues--back down to 164.4 after yesterday's correction day. I didn't do it quite right--I had steak for bfast and lunch, but we ordered a big platter of nachos at El Cholo (actually, Dave did while I was in the ladies room--I'd have ordered the carne asada, given the choice) so I scalped some cheese off some nachos. So it was an odd correction day, but it worked. Maybe sort of a fat fast day, as it turned out.

So what I'm doing is basically an accidental JUDDD--correct/normal/correct/normal...(although my correction day calories have been over a thousand, so that'd be high for a Down Day.)

My thinking is that I WILL FINISH this three weeks of P3 (five more days), but then I may need to switch back to another short round of P2, or maybe just try some regular JUDDD for a while. I'll decide during these last days of P3.

Obviously, I canNOT move on to P4, since I am completely unstable. Arghhhhhh...
Old 10-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #983
Major LCF Poster!

Jess, read up on the leptin thing...you don't really have to do the whole paleo thing to make it worth giving it a shot. Maybe try the spacing of the food and see if that makes any difference (BAB as soon as you get up, at least 4-5 hours between meals, no snacks).
Old 10-30-2011, 07:25 AM   #984
Blabbermouth!!!

Something amazing happened--a Sunday miracle. My weight only changed .2 pounds today, 164.6. And that was weighing at 6:45.

Now, I only had about 1600 calories yesterday, but that did include, er....3 cocktails <blush>! Hey--we were at a bar for 5 hours for our OSU watch party, so I felt like I needed to order periodically to "earn" my seat. But I did something goofy--took my bottle of diet tonic in, gave it to the bartender and said "Hey, I can't have sugar. Would you mind making my vodka tonics with this today?" She didn't so much as bat an eye.

I didn't make my calories low on purpose. It was just a super busy day and that's how it worked out. But maybe I need to try to ramp the calories back up slowly? Worth thinking about...

My little babies are singing this morning--my 2nd-5th grade choir, so I need to hurry. Happy Sunday!

Last edited by verbqueen; 10-30-2011 at 07:29 AM..
Old 10-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #985
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
Jessica, you're the only other person I've "met" who has to weigh a little later in the day for the lowest reading. I've stopped weighing completely because my schedule changed and I'm never home during my low weight time of day. YUCK for me. I'm so happy for you! That IS a Sunday miracle. Congratulations!
Old 10-30-2011, 07:31 PM   #986
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbqueen View Post
Something amazing happened--a Sunday miracle. My weight only changed .2 pounds today, 164.6. And that was weighing at 6:45.

Now, I only had about 1600 calories yesterday, but that did include, er....3 cocktails <blush>! Hey--we were at a bar for 5 hours for our OSU watch party, so I felt like I needed to order periodically to "earn" my seat. But I did something goofy--took my bottle of diet tonic in, gave it to the bartender and said "Hey, I can't have sugar. Would you mind making my vodka tonics with this today?" She didn't so much as bat an eye.

I didn't make my calories low on purpose. It was just a super busy day and that's how it worked out. But maybe I need to try to ramp the calories back up slowly? Worth thinking about...

My little babies are singing this morning--my 2nd-5th grade choir, so I need to hurry. Happy Sunday!
Sure hoping this is the begining of your stabilization!
Old 10-30-2011, 07:49 PM   #987
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
Sure hoping this is the begining of your stabilization!
You and me both, sistah girl...

Heidi, I've heard of lots of other people who get a lower weight later in the morning--so we are not alone!
Old 10-31-2011, 07:24 AM   #988
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbqueen View Post

Now, I only had about 1600 calories yesterday, but that did include, er....3 cocktails <blush>!

Fabulous, perhaps stabilization's peaking it's head out of the trenches at last. Didn't you slowly ramp up the calories at the beginning of P3 the first time around? What about this round?
Old 10-31-2011, 08:41 AM   #989
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh

My

Gosh!

164.0 this morning. Wow. Could it be happening, at last, on day 18 of P3? Yesterday, I had around 1700 calories, maybe 1800 (restaurant food for lunch, so some guesstimating involved here.) I kept my protein and fat close to balanced again, ended up with about 10 more grams of fat, but that's pretty close. I dunno--I'm almost afraid to speculate much on what's happening here...but I am definitely going to continue with keeping the proteins and fats balanced. Don't mess with a streak, right?

A few other things I had meant to mention but hadn't quite gotten to in my recent spell of busy-ness--my body is definitely shifting fat around. I bought a pile of size 12 pants (luckily, for in the neighborhood of $16-$18 a pair, at T J Maxx) about 3 weeks ago, right at the end of R2P2. They're all too big--I went back there and bought 3 pairs of size 10 pants. This is amazing to me--I am an hourglass shape with a small waist, but plenty of "T & A," if I may borrow from A Chorus Line. And not just hips--I have a butt that sticks out in the back. I used to kid that you could shelve a set of World Books back there. So the size 10 thing is blowing my mind, and that change occurred after I finished losing the weight!

So the popular legend of "reshaping" is perhaps not a myth?!

One other BIG thing that I am very pleased about. Right around the day I ended R2P2, I caught an unexpected glimpse of my arms in a mirror at work, and nearly cried. My arm skin was literally hanging in wrinkly folds down by my elbow. Now, I'm not talking about the "bingo wave" area where the relaxed tricep sort of dangles below the upper arm--I'm talking way down by my elbow. I had NEVER seen anything like that on myself, and I was aghast!

I used to lift weights pretty seriously (to keep my big butt somewhat balanced by my upper body), but I hadn't really exercised at all during hcg, and it has been several years since I have done anything but haphazard weight training.

So I got really, really committed with my dumbbells. I decided to focus ONLY on my arms, fearing that doing a full body workout would cause me to retain water and look like I had gained weight (which I still may have done...) and more importantly, would be too daunting to keep up with and I'd give up. So I've been doing an every other day split--biceps one day, triceps the next, a rest day every four or five days. On biceps day, I just do curls at various angles and positions, as many sets as I can remember to do, throughout the day. I keep various sizes of dumbbells on my kitchen counter under the microwave, and I try to do a few curls every time I'm in the kitchen for a meal or a drink of water.

For triceps, I'm doing a few different exercises. Kickbacks with my kitchen dumbbells, but also some overhead dips with those. Then, in my bathroom, I've been doing dips off the edge of my bathtub--I have a rather tall jacuzzi tub, so it's just the right height, plus some triceps push-ups against the wall or on the floor.

The good news--those hanging "shrinkles" are already gone, and my muscles are noticeably bigger! I won't say I have tight arms or anything, but there has been a significant improvement! Some of it may be my weight routine, but some is probably just my skin catching up to that last ten pound loss and the above-mentioned reshaping.

So have hope if you're losing and you don't like the way your body looks. Give it time to catch up. If my 54-year-old skin can adjust to weight loss, yours can, too!
Old 10-31-2011, 08:48 AM   #990
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Woo Hoo Jess!! Rocking it Girl!!
Closed Thread