Old 08-31-2011, 07:38 PM   #601
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: privatediva
Stats: 128 (R2ldw 128) 5'7"
WOE: healthful, delicious low carb
Start Date: 6/28/2011 (started HCG) maintaining since 9/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbqueen View Post
Holy moly. You have clearly died of awesome and gone to appliance heaven!
I know it!!!!!! I just got the shipment notice for my Vitamix. It should be here on Friday. I hope it's early in the day. I have to play a vocal workshop in the afternoon, and Sat/Sun are crammed full. I want to PLAY with these wondrous new toys!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2011, 07:41 PM   #602
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
Cheryl, it's never too late. I decided to pursue voice lessons at the ripe old age of 45, and learned TONS and enjoyed the heck out of six years of it. My boss has loads of piano students in their fifties and sixties--people who decided to pursue music for the pleasure of it, once they'd retired.

Guitar lessons are on my list, too! I've "played" since I was a teenager--just self-taught chords to strum along with my singing, but one of these days I want to learn to do it right!
Old 08-31-2011, 08:25 PM   #603
Major LCF Poster!

that is VERY true, Jess!

I've known a ton of people who take (or re-take) up an instrument when they retire. For the first time in their lives they have TIME to devote to working on it. As for me, when I "retire" (whatever that means!), I'm picking up my paint brushes. I have some facility for visual art but have very rarely had the time to devote to it. I will enjoy that!

In the meantime...I wish I was a good enough person that I wasn't considering canceling my Saturday students so I can play with my Vitamix. That's WRONG!

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

I CAN HAVE THAT LATER
Old 08-31-2011, 08:33 PM   #604
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by privatediva View Post

In the meantime...I wish I was a good enough person that I wasn't considering canceling my Saturday students so I can play with my Vitamix. That's WRONG!
Even good girls have to be bad now and then....
Old 08-31-2011, 09:13 PM   #605
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Quote:
Cheryl, my husband is a pretty good guitarist (it's also his cello and he is a classically trained tenor). He taught middle kid...she wanted an electric guitar, and my condition was that she had to learn to play her dad's acoustic first, and when she demonstrated that, I'd...think about it. Well...imagine my chagrin when I overheard her playing the first movement of Mozart's C major piano sonata on her dad's guitar! She had heard her bro playing it a lot. Um...I kinda had to get her an electric guitar then. She actually ended up favoring the acoustic...the electric kind of sits, but she will occasionally noodle with it. I have tried a few times, and I played tenor guitar and baritone ukulele when I was a little girl because my dad did, but my hands are very small, I don't like callouses, and I'm arthritic enough that I have to be careful with my hands so that they work well on the piano. Same reason I couldn't do cello. My son worked on cello a bit, studying with his daddy, but kind of let that slide. He can always pick it back up again someday.

I hope you get to explore that someday.
That is very cool! I love all the encouragement you lovely ladies are offering to me. I think if something is in your soul, there's a good reason for it! While there is still breath in my lungs and while I still have the ability for my brain to send commands to my extremities, I will press on.

I have an accoustic guitar. I was pursuing learning how to play it this year (since December.) I am at the point where I need to take the leap and just put the chords and strumming together, even if it is to just learn to play ONE song, but lately I've backed-off from it again, as I have done all the previous times in my life. But this year I got farther than ever before, and I know I didn't forget what I learned.

I have small hands, too. I will work on this, ladies! I promise I will. You have inspired me!

Quote:
Cheryl, it's never too late. I decided to pursue voice lessons at the ripe old age of 45, and learned TONS and enjoyed the heck out of six years of it. My boss has loads of piano students in their fifties and sixties--people who decided to pursue music for the pleasure of it, once they'd retired.

Guitar lessons are on my list, too! I've "played" since I was a teenager--just self-taught chords to strum along with my singing, but one of these days I want to learn to do it right!
When I was a child, I used to sneak into my friend's garage when no one was home, and I'd pick out songs (very simple tunes with one hand) on their cheesy piano. Nobody ever knew that I did that. We also had a guitar at some point (not sure where it came from or when it arrived) but I would take it outside with me (again, when no one was around) and I'd lay it across my lap. I had a little metal tube and I used to enjoy making it sound "country."

When I met my hubby, he had a guitar that was a gift from his parents (they gave it to him after he went blind, hoping to give him something that would keep him going.) Well, he never got into it at all. After he passed away, I kept it. I was living in AZ at the time and sent it (hard case and all, with shipping stickers on it) back to CT so my sister could store it for me while I did travel nursing.

Well, after I settled back here, I reclaimed it as my own. I have only changed the strings on it one time. It is still intimidating to me. But I have all the gizmos; electronic tuner, string winder, pics of various types and thicknesses (prefer the ones that go on the thumb), soft guitar case (the hard one was pathetic), a strap, a strap do-hickey that goes around the headstock under the strings to attach the strap to, yada, yada, yada.

I will make a "concerted" effort. I'll dust off the keyboard, too. But it sure was fun to use it late at night when I had a good buzz-on!
Old 08-31-2011, 09:16 PM   #606
Major LCF Poster!

I would do it in a heartbeat except that many of them have auditions coming up next week. Sooo...they would freak out if they didn't have a lesson this week. Maybe it will get here Friday morning. That way, I can at least make a smoothie before I go off to my workshop. I have already bought my cottage cheese, spinach and frozen strawberries. (maniacal laughter)
Old 08-31-2011, 09:23 PM   #607
Major LCF Poster!

Cheryl,

there are a TON of music lesson videos on youtube. Just in case you run into a question that is easier answered by watching someone than by reading or just trying to figure things out on your own. I spend quite a bit of time watching them (singers as well as instrumentalists) because it's a good exercise for me to think about the playing of different instruments. I conduct a student pit orchestra twice a year (for musicals I direct). The more time I spend thinking about how the technique for playing each instrument, the better conductor I become....I can help the kids rather than make their lives impossible by requesting something impractical. It's hard for me not to just think about my singers...that is so natural for me. But the success of the whole group is more important. I think youtube is one of the greatest resources of all time. You do have to be somewhat discerning and realize that not everyone who claims to be an expert on youtube actually knows what they are doing...but some do and are very good teachers!
Old 09-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #608
Blabbermouth!!!

So...same exact weigh-in as yesterday, down to the ounce. Not out of my window, but still at the very top of it. I'm a little disturbed, because staying the same two days in a row feels more like a gain than a fluid issue. However, I have to be out and about all day with my boss, so a correction day isn't in the cards. I believe that I will do one tomorrow, though. I have to eat lunch out, which is challenging when at the top of my window. Guess I'll just be as careful as possible.

My (old) HCG Journal

My NEW Journal
Old 09-01-2011, 09:31 AM   #609
Major LCF Poster!

Hey...you didn't gain. We are talking about a 2 lb window...that's not much margin. Have a good day. I'm at "that" place...sitting on the set point as of today. Guess we'll just see how badly my body doesn't want me to get beyond it. It sure worked hard a pound above it! I sat on 145 for 5 days before I finally dropped to 144.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #610
Blabbermouth!!!

I think it's quite likely that you just sail on down from here! Can't wait to see how it goes for you!

I'm off for my field trip--back later this p.m.!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:04 AM   #611
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 143.7/141.7/130
WOE: HDE/FF
I'm with Deb, Jess. You are stabilizing in your window. That's the object to the game.

And I'm with Jess, Deb I'll bet you've broken through, Woo Hoo!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #612
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I'm reading with great interest, Jessica.

After the P2 days of weight loss at 500 calories per day, isn't this P3 level at about 2,000 calories per day, but at very low carb? I'm just thinking that was correct.

But at very low carb, isn't it supposed to be almost impossible to gain weight? Well not impossible actually, as I did gain on it, but really, really hard?

So doesn't this make you feel a lot more like any *gain* is just normal day-to-day fluctuations? So nothing to worry about particularly?

But, this leaves me with yet another question? Now, this is based on IF you are eating at a very low carb level right now... do you ever get to eat carbs? Or many? Fruit? Etc.? And if you do that, has your metabolism actually been improved so that you can handle the carbs, or will that result in weight gain again? Does this plan repair your metabolism, or is it more just for rapid weight loss? Confused minds want to know. LOL

Not having done this or read much, I'm confused all over again, but I'm beyond wide-eyed amazement at the fabulous weight loss you have experienced these last weeks, and thrilled for you that you've attained such a lovely slim new size in such a short amount of time.

I'm reading your journal and the HCG thread on the Playground (some there) and it still seems just a miracle to me, so I know why you keep using that word. It fits!

Just wondering what your diet looks like for your future, etc. Interesting.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:43 AM   #613
Major LCF Poster!

You're supposed to do very low carb in P3, for at least 3 weeks, (but that does include the fruit you were allowed in P2). In P4, (once you've stabilized in P3) you start adding back carbs, carefully, to see how your body handles them. The idea being that it may not be carbs specifically, but specific carbs which cause you to gain. You're supposed to push the envelope on that, and correct if you gain, until you learn what you can/cannot get away with. If my metabolism allows me not to gain (on any nutritional ratio) anywhere near the amount of calories my BMR indicates I should be able to handle...it will be a freaking MIRACLE. I have spent the last 2 years gaining weight (at an alarming rate) on very little food.

That's my understanding anyway...I'm still in P2, so I'm still waiting to see if this will actually happen for me. If it does...oh my...what a happy girl I will be!
Old 09-01-2011, 11:17 AM   #614

Quote:
You're supposed to do very low carb in P3, for at least 3 weeks, (but that does include the fruit you were allowed in P2). In P4, (once you've stabilized in P3) you start adding back carbs, carefully, to see how your body handles them. The idea being that it may not be carbs specifically, but specific carbs which cause you to gain. You're supposed to push the envelope on that, and correct if you gain, until you learn what you can/cannot get away with. If my metabolism allows me not to gain (on any nutritional ratio) anywhere near the amount of calories my BMR indicates I should be able to handle...it will be a freaking MIRACLE. I have spent the last 2 years gaining weight (at an alarming rate) on very little food.

That's my understanding anyway...I'm still in P2, so I'm still waiting to see if this will actually happen for me. If it does...oh my...what a happy girl I will be!
That sounds like a logical way to proceed with any plan when reintroducing more of the starches and sugars, doesn't it. I'll send out hopeful vibes that this plan will cure your metabolism and work it's miracle for you too! Good luck!

I know that most any weight loss plan requires you to restrict something, in some way, at some time, or forever. Hopefully you won't have to always restrict your carbs too much, and the protocol will stimulate your metabolism enough to, basically, heal you and return your metabolism to that of a *normal* person, as Ouizoid always calls them.

I'm always fascinated to read here in Jessica's journal. Interesting stuff.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #615
Major LCF Poster!

thank you!!! My suspicion is that when I try to eat wheat, I'm gonna balloon and find out that one is not a good idea for me. I was a real allergic kid and actually had a big positive test for wheat earlier in my life. I was very good about it for several years, then gradually just learned to live with the havoc it wreaked on my gut and the phlegm it generated. So...I'm not planning to have a good experience with that when I reintroduce it, and that is ok. BTW...I'm planning on probably JUDDDing through the holidays once I get past my P3 and do at least a month of P4. My son is a chef...I will be eating what he cooks I think JUDDD makes sense, and think that "down days" would be easily accomplished, given that my life has been an uninterrupted string of "down days" for 2 months at this point.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #616
Big Yapper!

SoHappy, That's a lot of questions, girl! I'm going to leave the answering to Jessica. Deb did a very nice job, though. No sugar, no starch in P3 and then slowly add both of those in P4.

Quote:
Cheryl,

there are a TON of music lesson videos on youtube. Just in case you run into a question that is easier answered by watching someone than by reading or just trying to figure things out on your own. I spend quite a bit of time watching them (singers as well as instrumentalists) because it's a good exercise for me to think about the playing of different instruments. I conduct a student pit orchestra twice a year (for musicals I direct). The more time I spend thinking about how the technique for playing each instrument, the better conductor I become....I can help the kids rather than make their lives impossible by requesting something impractical. It's hard for me not to just think about my singers...that is so natural for me. But the success of the whole group is more important. I think youtube is one of the greatest resources of all time. You do have to be somewhat discerning and realize that not everyone who claims to be an expert on youtube actually knows what they are doing...but some do and are very good teachers!
Youtube truly IS a God-send! That is where I was getting my instruction (and will be in the future, when I dust off the guitar and change the strings.) I watched a few youtube videos on singing, as well. The dog pant is rather funny. Conducting too? I'm amazed by you musical Diva's. All of you!

Quote:
So...same exact weigh-in as yesterday, down to the ounce. Not out of my window, but still at the very top of it. I'm a little disturbed, because staying the same two days in a row feels more like a gain than a fluid issue. However, I have to be out and about all day with my boss, so a correction day isn't in the cards. I believe that I will do one tomorrow, though. I have to eat lunch out, which is challenging when at the top of my window. Guess I'll just be as careful as possible.
Jessica darling, you're wigging. Relax and enjoy the ride. Tomorrow is another day. You may be down a tad and you'll be a little farther away from the top of your window. In the window is still in the window. Don't jump the CD gun!

Quote:
Hey...you didn't gain. We are talking about a 2 lb window...that's not much margin. Have a good day. I'm at "that" place...sitting on the set point as of today. Guess we'll just see how badly my body doesn't want me to get beyond it. It sure worked hard a pound above it! I sat on 145 for 5 days before I finally dropped to 144.
I hope you continue to lose weight with relative ease! I stall big-time at a set-point, too. I think I'm at another one, but it's been so long since I've been this weight that I don't remember where the lower set-points were! I'm happy to get reacquainted with them, but only for a short while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
I'm with Deb, Jess. You are stabilizing in your window. That's the object to the game.

And I'm with Jess, Deb I'll bet you've broken through, Woo Hoo!
That was too cute not to quote!

Last edited by CherylB; 09-01-2011 at 11:50 AM..
Old 09-01-2011, 12:56 PM   #617

Quote:
thank you!!! My suspicion is that when I try to eat wheat, I'm gonna balloon and find out that one is not a good idea for me. I was a real allergic kid and actually had a big positive test for wheat earlier in my life. I was very good about it for several years, then gradually just learned to live with the havoc it wreaked on my gut and the phlegm it generated. So...I'm not planning to have a good experience with that when I reintroduce it, and that is ok. BTW...I'm planning on probably JUDDDing through the holidays once I get past my P3 and do at least a month of P4. My son is a chef...I will be eating what he cooks I think JUDDD makes sense, and think that "down days" would be easily accomplished, given that my life has been an uninterrupted string of "down days" for 2 months at this point.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you with the wheat, or at least some other grains. It's kinda' sad to not be able to ever have any grains again in your life. Although, maybe that's just the way I look at it, and others here are fine with that idea.

BUT A SON WHO IS A CHEF!!!???!!! Yeah, I would so-o-o-o be eating his creations when the Holidays rolled around. What a lucky Mama you are!

And if you come over to do a stint of JUDDD for awhile later in the year, we're a warm and friendly bunch. Anybody is welcome anytime.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #618
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
I'm wondering how low carb you are, too? I think I'd find it hard to be vlc and not lose. But this is not about losing right now?
Old 09-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #619
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Hey Deb,
Have you looked into the Lasering thing at all? I sound's pretty far out (but so did HCG). I used to be real sensitive to gaining on dairy, especially milk products. I figured what the heck, couldn't hurt and Shelbyla told me about it, so I had to consider it. Well long story longer I tried it and I have noticed improvement in my tolerance for HWC in my coffee, I can have whip cream as a snack and even push the envelope on cheese without a problem.

See what happens when you're gone for the day Jess, you get high jacked
Old 09-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #620
Major LCF Poster!

Terri, what the heck is that? My enquiring mind needs to know!
Old 09-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #621
Big Yapper!

Shelby told me about that laser thing, too. After I read up about it I just couldn't go there. It may work but it seems so "hokus-pokus" to me. (Plus I don't have a cat and a laser.) LOL

VQ, have an excellent evening and a great scale day in the morning. I see you guys are getting little quakes today. Three so far. Are you rockin' and rollin' yet? I hope the worst is over.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:22 PM   #622
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I sounds crazy, but I think it helped me. Like Shelby says it may be mental but my kitty is truely addicted to the laser.

This is some of what Shelby said
If you guys would hang out on the general P3/P4 thread you'd hear all about this stuff! Peggy Torister has had a LOT of luck with this (as has Raven) getting rid of multiple allergies. There is a lady on the regular P2 thread too who has had MANY food allergies for years and seems to also be having luck with it (1moretry? 1lasttry? something like that). I am not sure about the science behind it (if there is any ). For me, I was having some issues gaining weight when I had HWC, even if it was just a couple of tablespoons. I also occasionally had some digestive upset. I did the laser thing and haven't had issues since then. I figured, I have a cat so I have a laser, it takes 2 minutes and avoiding the food for a little while. Why NOT give it a try? Maybe it's mental, maybe it's junk science, but I think for the minimal investment of time, it will be worth it if I can eat almond butter or drink wine or maybe even eat SUGAR without a 2-3 pound gain. It doesn't always work or doesn't always work the first time but it might be worth it if you really like the CO.

This is what I found from some research
I don't know why the links don't work when copied & pasted, but it was post #2325 from the old forum; Grammy's Groupies-July HCG Group (page 233)
1. How To Laser a Food Sensitivity
These are the directions for lasering a food allergen or sensitivity. First you muscle test. Hold your arm out in front at a 90 degree angle to your body. Have someone else push down on your arm to test your strength. It should be strong without the allergen in your hand. Next hold the allergen in your hand and have the person push down again. If you have a problem, your arm will be weak and will easily be pushed down, much more easily than when you tested your arm strength with nothing in your hand. If it's still strong, you aren't necessarily okay for that item. Still holding your arm out, have your assistant press firmly at the bridge of your nose between your eyes while pushing down on your arm. If he/she is unable to push down your arm (it's strong) while pressing the bridge, then you are SO allergic that your polarity has flipped. so you must treat. If your arm goes down easily when pressing the bridge and is strong without pressing the bridge, then the item is fine.

This is the only part I did
Now for the treatment. Take the allergen and hold it out from your navel about 2" then shine a laser light back toward the item so the light would pass through if the item were not in the way. Shine the light for 2 minutes. Wash your hands and avoid the allergen for 24 hours. Then 24 hours retest the item and see if you are strong now. If not, retreat it the same way.

If you have a lot of allergies, it's best to do a full course of treatment in the proper NAET order. You would have to buy allergen vials to do some of these and you need the NAET guidebook to know what to avoid. Kaleein found a kit with vials that will work here: All Natural Allergy Treatment | The Allergy Kit

The 12 basics are:
1. Chicken/ egg mix
2. Milk/ calcium mix
3. Vitamin C mix
4. B complex mix
5. Sugar mix
6. Iron/ meat mix
7. Vitamin A mix/ Fish mix/ Shellfish mix
8. Mineral mix
9. Salt mix/ chlorides
10. Corn mix
11. Grain mix
12. Yeast mix/ Candida (Nambudripad, The NAET Guide Book, p. 28).

If you have airborne allergies, put out a glass of water for 24 hours in the vicinity of the problem (weeds etc) then treat the water and try to stay inside for 24 hours. If you have a problem with cat hair, put the hair in a glass (must be glass) then treat that way and go stay somewhere away from cats for 24 hours.

You can layer 2-3 treatments. Do one, then the next. Avoid only the last item treated.

This is the easy way to fix problems and it works great!
Old 09-01-2011, 06:35 PM   #623
Major LCF Poster!

spooky I do have a cat....
Old 09-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #624
Blabbermouth!!!

Geez, I leave for half a day and a PARTY breaks out in here. But you forgot to invite ME!

Haha--I love it when a discussion breaks out--so go nuts, ladies. Oh--you did!

I had a good day with my boss. We didn't do much--drove to Laguna and ate at a seafood place (I had blackened halibut, sauteed spinach and a zucchini kabob.) We walked around the downtown area a bit and sat at the main beach (they have lots of nice park benches) and watched the surf for a bit. HUGE waves today, and they had uprooted a bunch of kelp that had been recently planted to help the local fishery. That was kind of sad. Then we drove up the coast into Corona Del Mar and Newport. Crazy waves there, too. I think a surfer drowned yesterday in them.

I had 1900 calories today. (Dinner was same as yesterday, steak and spinach.) I'm uncomfortably full, so I'm stopping. We shall see what tomorrow brings. I'm nervous. I couldn't drink as much water as usual because of being in a car all day--couldn't afford to need to pee every ten minutes. Working on getting some in now.

I'm remaining neutral on the laser thing. On the one hand, it seems WAY goofy. On the other, it seems completely harmless and kinda fun, so why not?
Old 09-01-2011, 08:13 PM   #625
Major LCF Poster!

Sounds like a nice day. "uncomfortably full"...I have no recall of what that is like sounds amazing!!! Drink up!
Old 09-01-2011, 08:50 PM   #626
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kind of tempted to trade the party for that steak. Maybe not, but I thought about it!
Old 09-02-2011, 06:56 AM   #627
Big Yapper!

Waiting to see what your morning is turning out to be, Jessica! Hope it's a good day for you. Blessings to all you other ladies!
Old 09-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #628
Blabbermouth!!!

As I feared, I'm up a tiny bit more--176.4, which puts me .2 out of my window and calls for a correction day. I'm going to try Julieboolie's Greek yogurt day. Honestly, I'm relieved to be doing it. I want to be closer to my LDW, dangit.

Cheryl, my dear, is that a FIVE I see on your ticker line?! Girl, your science experiment appears to be WORKING!!!!!!
Old 09-02-2011, 09:36 AM   #629
Major LCF Poster!

Morning! What are you eating with (in) your GY? I want to try to make myself like the stuff when I get to P3...(which is going to happen sooner than I thought...I think!)
Old 09-02-2011, 09:38 AM   #630
Blabbermouth!!!

I either put Sweetzfree (liquid splenda--I bought a bottle about 6 years ago and I'm still not to the halfway point--it is STRONG stuff) and a few fresh berries, or some sugar free Torani or Davinci syrup (I like to use cherry, peach or pineapple--goes well with the tanginess of the yogurt.) If I'm not doing it for a fast, I'll also stir in a few toasted almonds and/or some toasted SF coconut, but I won't do those today.
Closed Thread