Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 06:46 AM   #571
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 144/142.8/130
WOE: IE/M&E
Oh my gosh Jess, that was awesome!!!! You have a beautiful family, inside & out!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2011, 07:32 AM   #572
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: privatediva
Stats: 128 (R2ldw 128) 5'7"
WOE: healthful, delicious low carb
Start Date: 6/28/2011 (started HCG) maintaining since 9/2011
YAY!!! nice work, ladies, both of you! (and boy would I love to get my hands on both of those lovely instruments!)
Old 08-30-2011, 09:24 AM   #573
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
Thanks, y'all. I will probably take that video down now that you guys have taken a peek--feels kinda...goofy having it there. Ha!

Another good weigh-in--up .2 from yesterday, still very comfortably in my window with no effort at all except avoiding starch and sugar. Just the way it's supposed to be.

I have my first staff meeting of the new season this morning, so I must run. Later!
Old 08-30-2011, 09:51 AM   #574
Major LCF Poster!

leave that video right where it is It CAN'T feel any goofier than my hot pink bimbo pictures

I am really encouraged by your quick stabilization (seems quick to me at least!). I'm just having a hard time believing this will still work when I start eating again. The anecdotal evidence is helping me to think that it might, even for me!
Old 08-30-2011, 10:13 AM   #575
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 144/142.8/130
WOE: IE/M&E
Oh please leave it. I wanted to show DH tonight.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:58 AM   #576
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Wow! That was very cool, and lovely! I hope you leave it up. She may not have inherited a lot of your features, but certainly your voice! What a great duet that was. Thanks so much for posting it! And I agree with Diva. She stuck her pink butt (and girls) out there for all the VQ world to see, so you should also stay "exposed." Or, at least post a new one to replace the one you delete!

WTG on stabilizing! You sound so at-peace and that makes me happy.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:43 PM   #577
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by privatediva View Post
leave that video right where it is It CAN'T feel any goofier than my hot pink bimbo pictures

I am really encouraged by your quick stabilization (seems quick to me at least!). I'm just having a hard time believing this will still work when I start eating again. The anecdotal evidence is helping me to think that it might, even for me!
Girl, if I can stabilize, anyone can! I have so abused my metabolism with dieting through all these years that it ought to be completely dead, by all rights. So be excited, because as if being wonderfully trim weren't enough, you are also going to be able to enjoy eating!
Old 08-30-2011, 01:44 PM   #578
Major LCF Poster!

I really didn't imagine that could happen for me before Heaven
Old 08-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #579
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I really didn't imagine that could happen for me before Heaven
I know I'm using this term too much, but honestly, its really kind of a miracle!
Old 08-30-2011, 03:06 PM   #580
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon bit View Post
You're both gorgeous! I don't look a thing like my mom and I think it makes both of us sad. I got her personality though, for which I am eternally grateful. We have a blast together!
I love that you are close to your mom! I'm sure that's been a huge blessing to you with all the difficulties of your last few years.

My daughter is absolutely, without exception the best friend of my lifetime, and I believe she'd say the same about me. She is the ONE person in this world who always has my back, no matter WHAT--no conditions, no "buts or excepts." Even though she looks (and sings) like a sweet little flower, she is strong, gutsy and tough--a powerful ally, indeed!
Old 08-30-2011, 05:58 PM   #581
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
See, you two remind me of my mom and I. I love that! You're doing so well! Are you enjoying eating more?
Old 08-30-2011, 06:31 PM   #582
Major LCF Poster!

That's like me and my youngest (the ballerina), Jess. Not at all like me and my mom though! Sometimes I wonder if I share any DNA with her at all. I was my daddy's girl always.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:30 PM   #583
Blabbermouth!!!

I hear what you're saying. I love my mom dearly, but I was never fiercely tight with her like I am with my daughter. She just wasn't "available" to me in that way, somehow. She was a good mother, but she kind of kept her emotional distance, somehow. (Probably for her own protection, with three emotional daughters!! )
Old 08-30-2011, 07:45 PM   #584
Major LCF Poster!

I look like generations of my dad's side of the family. Daddy was the choir president at First Baptist Tulsa Mother wouldn't even sing with the congregation on the hymns. She really never has "gotten" it, nor frankly did she ever try. When I began my career, my dad (and my brother) bought recordings and read about opera and learned about it, even learning to love it. They became aficionados just because they loved me. My mother and sister...the complete opposite. It's like they thought if they ignored it, it would go away My sister likes Neil Diamond. We can't possibly be related.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

I CAN HAVE THAT LATER
Old 08-30-2011, 08:13 PM   #585
Blabbermouth!!!

I honestly cannot imagine not being INSANE with pride at having a professional musician, especially an opera singer, in my family! I guess your mother and your sister just don't feel it, in their souls. Hard to imagine.

My family was super, super musical. Not particularly trained or supremely gifted, but the kind of family that was always singing, preferably in five-part harmony that we invented as we went along--hymns, show tunes, This Land is Your Land, you name it, if some of us knew some of the words, we sang it. My sisters and I did lots of trios in church. We sound a lot like Hallie and me--light sopranos with a close blend, so you couldn't really tell who was singing what.

Someone always was was pounding away at the piano. My mom scrimped and saved so that all three of us had years and years of lessons. She loved to have someone in the house playing all the time, even when it was just horrible practicing! (I feel just the same, and when Hallie left for college and my piano went silent, I was so sad. I hardly ever play it, myself, except for rehearsals.)

Dave's family is strangely unmusical--no one hums, whistles, listens to the radio--nothing. I truly do not get it. He has great rhythm, though, and we've adopted him as our choir percussion player. If we need a hand drum, finger cymbals, claves, conga, bongos, whatever--he's our go-to guy. He doesn't read music, but he only has to be told once, "play this rhythm, drop out here, come back in here," and he's got it. Now that he's in Seattle a lot of weekends, we're in trouble. But I've got a little sixth grade choir boy who has bigtime percussion ability, so I'm breaking him in!

My (old) HCG Journal

My NEW Journal
Old 08-31-2011, 07:43 AM   #586
Major LCF Poster!

I married a tenor...so my immediate family is pretty much music, music, music. Rinse. Repeat. That's the way I like it. Our house is noisy We have a 7 ft Yamaha grand in the living room, a Whitney spinet and Yamaha keyboard in the family room, a cello, violin, and about 7 guitars when Amy is home. Chef boy is a very accomplished pianist and composer, so he's on one piano or the other all the time. Ballerina girl is a pianist, and basketball girl plays piano and guitar. David grew up in a family like yours...everyone playing/singing all the time. Reunions are fun.

My mom, I think, did enjoy the practicing as I was growing up. And it's not that she isn't proud...I guess she is. But it's that funny, awkward kind of thing where a person kind of has to admit their child is really outstanding at something they don't understand at all or have any frame of reference for. That kind of leaves her in a weird place, from which she could have extricated herself by doing what Daddy did...reading and learning, asking me questions, acting like she was interested in what I do. Instead, she chose this sort of distant, quizzical stance which is typical of our relationship and has always left me feeling like she thought I had two heads or three arms rather than a really cool job. I think it's got more to do with my having been born so much later than my brother and sister (14 and 16 years older than me). I think I was unexpected and she was too tired to have another kid. She has quite a different relationship with my sis the attorney. I love my mom and I've accepted that we could never have been close, and won't be, and that there wasn't anything I could have done to change that.

But...it taught me a lot about "things" this weird relationship I have with my mom. It's a good thing, I think, to encounter the tests we get from people in our lives. It gives us the opportunity to decide whether to react with bitterness over the fact that they don't treat us as we'd like, or respond with learning how not to repeat their mistakes. I knew from the beginning that my kids interests would need to be their interests, not mine, and that I would need to understand what they want to do rather than choose and direct them toward the things I found most interesting. That's how I ended up with a composer chef, a soldier athlete, and a ballerina with a photographic eye. In my vanity, I see their diversity as my best parenting accomplishment. My three kids couldn't possibly be more different from one another, yet they're all three goal oriented, high achieving and very creative individuals. (which is not to say I don't occasionally want to strangle them, you understand )
Old 08-31-2011, 09:41 AM   #587
Blabbermouth!!!

And perhaps your mother's "distance" from you in some way helped allow you to find your own special gifts? Sometimes I wonder if being TOO involved with our kids, as I sometimes think I was, kind of holds them back--if maybe I passed my own limitations and self-doubts along to them.

Meanwhile, back at the hcg ranch, I am at the very top of my window this morning. I did eat a bit less than usual yesterday--I was done by 1800 calories, and couldn't think of anything else to add. I honestly seem to do better at 2000 or more. At any rate, I'll eat normally today and if I go up more, I'll do a correction day tomorrow.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:48 AM   #588
Major LCF Poster!

did you ever, in your wildest dreams, imagine you'd look at your scale and say "dang...i didn't eat enough yesterday"???? That just blows my mind!
Old 08-31-2011, 10:08 AM   #589
Blabbermouth!!!

In a word, NO! Some days, I almost feel like I fell down a rabbit hole...

Move over, Alice, there's a new girl in Wonderland.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:16 AM   #590
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbqueen View Post
In a word, NO! Some days, I almost feel like I fell down a rabbit hole...

Move over, Alice, there's a new girl in Wonderland.
man...I wanna be in that hole!
Old 08-31-2011, 11:29 AM   #591
Blabbermouth!!!

And you will, oh yes, you will!
Old 08-31-2011, 12:00 PM   #592
Major LCF Poster!

hopin so! In the meantime...I just received one of two presents I bought myself so as to go forward doing a better job of eating/cooking for myself and my family as I go into P3 and P4. My food processor (a wonderful first run Cuisinart that was a *wedding present* 31 years ago this November) had a problem that necessitated two people to run the thing (involving an ice pick...probably not the safest arrangement in the world). So...I bought myself the sexiest Cuisinart I've ever seen...the base is die cast metal so that will last forever. It has three sizes of nesting bowls...14, 11, and 4.5 cups. I haven't seen a new food processor work in thirty years...this thing is AMAZING.

Last edited by privatediva; 08-31-2011 at 12:01 PM..
Old 08-31-2011, 12:35 PM   #593
Blabbermouth!!!

How FUN! I love kitchen appliances--I always ask for one for birthdays and such (or even worse--vacuum cleaners, irons, etc.), and it infuriates Dave--he'd prefer to buy something a little "sexier," like jewelry!

But I work my food processor, blender and stand mixer to death (mine are KitchenAids), and those babies EARN their right to sit out on the counter fulltime!

Have fun playing with the new toy! I've never seen one with multiple work bowls--how EXCITING!
Old 08-31-2011, 12:49 PM   #594
Major LCF Poster!

it is SILLY exciting!!! It has some great features, like a blade that locks into place. I've spent the last 30 years trying not to pour out the blade with my food since my old one didn't do that. The slicing disk is adjustable from 1-6 mm and has these finger holes so you don't cut your fingers off. It has a really nice case for all the blades and disks...really well designed. It's nifty to see how much problem solving they did in those 30 years (though my old machine was MAGNIFICENT and did an awfully good job for me for 30 whole years!). The lid also has a rubber seal so you can fill the bowls to the top so you can fill the bowl all the way and it won't leak. And a very long retractable cord...that's huge for me. I'm probably the last woman on earth who didn't know that food processors have changed so much. If I *had* known, I would have bought a new one a long time ago!

My stand mixer is a Kitchen Aid (we also have a huge Hobart in the basement for Chef Son's creations. But I have no blender but my little Bullet that I bought for vacation. UNTIL...my Vitamix gets here, that was my other gift to me. I'm very excited for that also!
Old 08-31-2011, 02:31 PM   #595
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

My stand mixer is a Kitchen Aid (we also have a huge Hobart in the basement for Chef Son's creations. But I have no blender but my little Bullet that I bought for vacation. UNTIL...my Vitamix gets here, that was my other gift to me. I'm very excited for that also!
Holy moly. You have clearly died of awesome and gone to appliance heaven!
Old 08-31-2011, 03:18 PM   #596
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rice paddie
Stats: 259/200/155
WOE: a little of this plan, a little of that plan...
Start Date: 6/4/11
Hi Jessica! Just wanted to stop by and see how you're doing. I gotta tell you, I just love reading your posts. You just seem like such a warm and genuine person. And your posts are so upbeat.....even the ones where you may be feeling a little down about something.

Sounds like things are going really well for you on P3 so I'm really glad for you! Anyhow, just wanted to let you know that I was thinking about you.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:14 PM   #597
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
I'm still here, VQ! Diva, thrilled for you about your food processor! Wish I could afford one. Those suckers are out of this world! May you be blessed by it for a long time to come. Sorry the one you got for your wedding was defective! I wonder if they would honor a replacement or a discount on the new one, since they are such a wonderful company.

Wish I had grown up in the kinds of home you and VQ did! Have always dreamed of playing the guitar. Have tried to teach myself a few times. Even signed up for some adult ed classes but they always get cancelled due to lack of participants. I also own a keyboard that has keys that light up (for those who simply have no clue how to play.) I used to mess around with it a lot more when I was drinking! Now the thrill is gone.

I agree with you, rice paddie (cute name, BTW.) I love Jessica. She's definitely a keeper!
Old 08-31-2011, 06:45 PM   #598
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice paddie View Post
Hi Jessica! Just wanted to stop by and see how you're doing. I gotta tell you, I just love reading your posts. You just seem like such a warm and genuine person. And your posts are so upbeat.....even the ones where you may be feeling a little down about something.

Sounds like things are going really well for you on P3 so I'm really glad for you! Anyhow, just wanted to let you know that I was thinking about you.
I am looking in regularly on you, too, and it seems like things are going quite well for you. I'm so glad! If you need support or just to visit a little, please let me know!
Old 08-31-2011, 06:51 PM   #599
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
I love Jessica. She's definitely a keeper!
Aw shucks, Cheryl.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:16 PM   #600
Major LCF Poster!

Cheryl, my husband is a pretty good guitarist (it's also his cello and he is a classically trained tenor). He taught middle kid...she wanted an electric guitar, and my condition was that she had to learn to play her dad's acoustic first, and when she demonstrated that, I'd...think about it. Well...imagine my chagrin when I overheard her playing the first movement of Mozart's C major piano sonata on her dad's guitar! She had heard her bro playing it a lot. Um...I kinda had to get her an electric guitar then. She actually ended up favoring the acoustic...the electric kind of sits, but she will occasionally noodle with it. I have tried a few times, and I played tenor guitar and baritone ukulele when I was a little girl because my dad did, but my hands are very small, I don't like callouses, and I'm arthritic enough that I have to be careful with my hands so that they work well on the piano. Same reason I couldn't do cello. My son worked on cello a bit, studying with his daddy, but kind of let that slide. He can always pick it back up again someday.

I hope you get to explore that someday.
Closed Thread