LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 10:22 AM   #181
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LCinSC
Stats: 314/274.5/180 6'0"
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 6/1/2011 at 282 lbs
Amber - Older men are the best!

We had a wonderful dinner on the beach last night! DH said it was a perfect end to his birthday! We walked on the beach and watched the sunset after dinner. I went off plan, as planned and I am right back on track today!

I went to the gym earlier today with my Mom. I don't think my Mom is interested in joining right now, but it felt good to get back to it. I walked on the treadmill for 25 minutes and did some of the weight machines. I didn't do back or abs since I am still taking it easy. My back doesn't hurt, but the muscles still feel tired. I also stretched! Still loving the gym!

We took a few pictures yesterday and I can tell that I am thinner in all of them. I also really feel thinner today.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Labor Day Challenge Goal: 250! Starting July 5!
280 279 278 277 276 275.8 275 274 273 272 271 270 269 268 267 266 265 264 263 262 261 260 259 258 257 256 255 254 253 252 251 250
LCinSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2011, 11:28 AM   #182
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Stephanie, your positive attitude resonates in every entry of your journal. It's refreshing and inspiring to read and follow along. I admire your resolve and focus.

So glad you've enjoyed the weekend and the celebrations, all tempered by your discipline and commitment to your goals.

Keep up the great work.
WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:30 AM   #183

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Steph- that is great hun!!! I am glad you had some private time with hubby but most importantly I am glad you see the positive changes you are making!!!!! Keep it up you are doing great!!!!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:50 AM   #184
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Twyla and Amber! Seeing your comments always makes my day!

I went to the gym Monday and yesterday (Wednesday). Last night was my first time doing the entire weight circuit since hurting my back. Everything felt good. They had their ballet barres out in the hallway so I even did some old ballet stretches I remember from my childhood.

They are doing a major renovation and they've had to close the nursery for several weeks. The new nursery will be a much larger space, so I'm happy about that. I think my Mom is going to help and watch my son a few times a week for me so I can continue to get to the gym 4 times a week.

We are going to Florida for a week in early August. I know I'll get plenty of exercise walking on the beach with my Mom (she is a daily walker). I was worried about eating, but I think we've all decided to stock our condo with food and eat in as much as we can, so that will make things much easier.

Two things I really need to focus on: eating breakfast and drinking enough water! Everything is harder when I don't have any fuel in my system and when I am dehydrated!
Old 07-28-2011, 09:41 AM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCinSC View Post

We are going to Florida for a week in early August. I know I'll get plenty of exercise walking on the beach with my Mom (she is a daily walker). I was worried about eating, but I think we've all decided to stock our condo with food and eat in as much as we can, so that will make things much easier.

Two things I really need to focus on: eating breakfast and drinking enough water! Everything is harder when I don't have any fuel in my system and when I am dehydrated!
Stephanie, planning is key for staying on track while on vacation. Vacations are a time for splurges, I realize, but I don't like throwing caution to the wind -- mostly because I don't trust myself to stop, given an inch I tend to take a mile...think: AVALANCHE (or FLABalanche).

Just wanted to throw out something for you to consider while on vacay that may give you that needed "edge" to keep it controlled as much as you can. When you guys walk, try a few mornings walking fasted. Lower intensity energy expenditure, while in a fasted state, is said to increase subcutaneous fat oxidation and selectively uses fatty acides to fuel this activity. Your body is drawing from "stores" for fat burning, rather than on dietary fuel. This is something that can be done every day, if desired, without affecting your performance in the gym. Just a thought.

It's nice having an edge, and once your body gets used to fasted cardio, it isn't nearly as bad as it sounds. And then once you return, you can reward yourself with a nice clean/healthy/balanced breakfast to fuel your day -- along with plenty of water indeed.

Obviously just activity in and of itself -- energy expenditure -- movin' da body! -- is going to augment your dietary discretions. So definitely take advantage of those beach walks while you're there!

Old 07-28-2011, 12:16 PM   #186

Stephanie- that sounds wonderful going to the shore for a week with the family, and you are smart to stock the food and cook at home,f r one it is fun, it saves $, and then you can let your baby do his thing without worrying, you can be comfy! It sort of sucks thinking oh I gotta cook but it always seems more fun with others there to fellowship with!

Yeah on the gym renovation!!! That sounds awesome I am sure they will have lots of nice additions when they are finished!!!
Old 07-29-2011, 10:50 AM   #187
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the advice, Twyla and Amber! Twyla, after reading your journal recently I was thinking about walking fasted. That is something I could easily do here at home too. I could get up and take a walk in the morning before my son and husband wake for the day. That fits in really well for my vacation plans - I was hoping to get up early and get some quiet, alone time on the beach as well. Perfect time for a walk! Anything that is specifically using "fatty stores" is good!

Yesterday I did something exciting and scary! I signed up for the Biggest Loser challenge at my gym! *GULP* It is a 12 week program that starts on September 8th. The cost is $175 and it includes personal training and nutrition counseling, as well as before and after body analysis. I've read a couple of blogs from people who have participated in this in the past, and it is HARD CORE! One trainer is frequently compared to Jillian on The Biggest Loser show. I think you get a lot for the cost, and there are prizes! Last year the top male and female losers each won a vacation package, so that's pretty good!

The nutrition advice is from the same people who worked with me when I lost weight on the hospital weight loss program, so I know it will be healthy carb/lower carb. They also focus on properly fueling workouts, so I think it will help me to put those pieces together.

I am scared though. I'm scared of being yelled at by the trainers. And I'm afraid of puking during a workout. One of the previous female winners threw up on the track during one of the first workouts. One of my personal goals between now and when the challenge starts is to continue to workout and increase intensity to improve my stamina, thereby (hopefully) reducing the chance of public workout-induced puking. I think at the end of all of this I'm going to have to run a 10K too. That is it's own kind of scary, but I will choose to be afraid of that on another day. I'm also afraid that I'm a wimp and won't be able to handle the workouts. And I'm afraid of getting weighed in front of a group of people. All silly fears, but my inner child is apparently a 12 year old fat girl who is afraid of being made fun of.

I am mostly excited about it. I think having weekly accountability and a team and hard core workouts will all be very good for me. My Mom will watch my son so I can attend the team workouts, and my husband is on board because he knows how much I want to do this. EEEEEP! I've seen the before and after pictures. I can't wait to be an after picture myself!

Of course, I plan to stay on track with my own program until the challenge starts. I want to push myself, but I think this will push me more than I could push myself on my own.

Tonight is another gym night! I love that place!
Old 07-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #188

Quote:
Yesterday I did something exciting and scary! I signed up for the Biggest Loser challenge at my gym! *GULP* It is a 12 week program that starts on September 8th. The cost is $175 and it includes personal training and nutrition counseling, as well as before and after body analysis. I've read a couple of blogs from people who have participated in this in the past, and it is HARD CORE! One trainer is frequently compared to Jillian on The Biggest Loser show. I think you get a lot for the cost, and there are prizes! Last year the top male and female losers each won a vacation package, so that's pretty good!

The nutrition advice is from the same people who worked with me when I lost weight on the hospital weight loss program, so I know it will be healthy carb/lower carb. They also focus on properly fueling workouts, so I think it will help me to put those pieces together.

I am scared though. I'm scared of being yelled at by the trainers. And I'm afraid of puking during a workout. One of the previous female winners threw up on the track during one of the first workouts. One of my personal goals between now and when the challenge starts is to continue to workout and increase intensity to improve my stamina, thereby (hopefully) reducing the chance of public workout-induced puking. I think at the end of all of this I'm going to have to run a 10K too. That is it's own kind of scary, but I will choose to be afraid of that on another day. I'm also afraid that I'm a wimp and won't be able to handle the workouts. And I'm afraid of getting weighed in front of a group of people. All silly fears, but my inner child is apparently a 12 year old fat girl who is afraid of being made fun of.

I am mostly excited about it. I think having weekly accountability and a team and hard core workouts will all be very good for me. My Mom will watch my son so I can attend the team workouts, and my husband is on board because he knows how much I want to do this. EEEEEP! I've seen the before and after pictures. I can't wait to be an after picture myself!
Of course, I plan to stay on track with my own program until the challenge starts. I want to push myself, but I think this will push me more than I could push myself on my own.

Tonight is another gym night! I love that place!

I BELIEVE IN YOU, STEPHANIE.

BELIEVE IN YOURSELF.

BELIEF IS BORNE IN THE MIND.

START THERE....OVERCOME ALL YOUR FEARS IN YOUR MIND -- first!

Quote:
No passion
so effectually robs the mind
of all its powers of acting and reasoning
as fear.

- Edmund Burke
YOU CAN DO THIS, GIRL.

YOU HAVE THE RIGHT STUFF.

TRUST YOURSELF.

YOU ROCK!
Old 07-29-2011, 03:44 PM   #189

OMG Stephanie!!! That contest is the best thing ever for you!!! You so can do it!!! It is going to whip you into the best shape of your life, and you are ready I know you are!!! You will get it all, accountability, work outs, nutrition, you can do it hun!!!! Puke your guts out, let them yell it is all good!!!!! You can handle it you are one tough mama!!!!!
I knew you were serious about exercise, you get it, and I am so pleased!!!!!!
I cant wait to hear the stories!!!!
I will be right here cheering for you!
Amber
Old 08-01-2011, 07:28 AM   #190
Senior LCF Member

Weekend eating = bad. Moving on now.

It's funny - I posted here about being afraid of throwing up during an intense workout, then went to the gym Friday night and found them cleaning up from someone else's puke-inducing workout.

I really do love Friday evenings at the gym. I went a little earlier than usual Friday night, so it was a little crowded when I first arrived, but by the time I stepped off the treadmill people had filtered out and it was quiet like I like it. While I was doing the weight machines I saw this guy who just blew my mind. I've seen him working out before, but this was the first time I've seen his pull ups. He does a full pull up, then calmly and in control pulls his legs up and curls them over the bar towards the ceiling! It's the kind of thing you would see a gymnast do on the rings, if that makes sense. He did this over and over again. He is in amazing shape.

I went to the gym again yesterday. For the first time I wasn't feeling it, but I pushed through anyway. While I was doing the weights a young woman was in front of me doing her routine. She is in excellent shape too and she has a very specific routine she was doing. I don't think she had an ounce of fat anywhere. At one point she was directly in front of me, then she stepped to the side and I saw myself in the mirror. BIG DIFFERENCE. I've started something new - when I am doing something where I can see myself in the mirror I visualize myself shrinking with each rep. In my mind I see my fat rolls disappear, I see my hips shrinking, I see my butt taking up less space. It helps.

Yesterday was the most intense weight workout I've done yet. There were times I just had to close my eyes and push through it. I felt very strong when I was done.

As I said, the eating wasn't good all weekend. I bought crap, I knew it was crap, and I thought I wouldn't eat it. I know better. No more crap comes into this house!

ETA - Sorry if this is scattered, I was up half the night with my son.

Also - I am so excited about the Biggest Loser challenge that I am now afraid I won't be accepted! They actually called me last week to ask me about my application, so my Mom thinks I am in. I really hope so. If not I will just have to make my own Biggest Loser plan. In fact, that's what I plan to do anyway.

Last edited by LCinSC; 08-01-2011 at 07:30 AM..
Old 08-01-2011, 07:45 AM   #191

Stephanie- I am sure you will be accepted!!! Don't even worry about that! Well look at the bright side, you ate crap, you know it, but at least you worked out verses doing nothing, so that is positive! I think the visualizations you use are really great!!!! My trainer is bog on making me look at myself, I hate that!!!! i always try to lead her to where there are no mirrors, and she catches on, LOL 5 days of no gm I can honestly say I am having withdrawal, I am so ready to go and kick some butt tonight!
Old 08-02-2011, 05:47 AM   #192
Senior LCF Member

Amber - In my gym the weight machines and free weights are directly in front of a LONG wall of mirrors. The first few workouts I really tried not to look in the mirrors, but eventually you run out of places to look. Thankfully the treadmills and bikes look out large windows, so you just watch the world go by outside.

I've done some more reading about the Biggest Loser program, and I think I will hear from them 3 weeks before the program starts with my acceptance. (Thinking positive here!) I also know I will be told to run one mile the FIRST NIGHT!

So, here's the "preparing for the challenge" plan:
1 - Get some running shoes! There are a couple of great stores here that do stride analysis and help you get the perfect shoes.
2 - Start the Couch 2 5K program so I've at least tried running before I'm told to run a mile.
3 - When we get back from Florida increase my gym visits to 5 a week, and push up the intensity.
4 - Maintain low carb eating. From Day 1 of the challenge everyone has to give up sugar/white foods. I'll have a head start since I'll already be over the cravings and sugar withdrawal slump!

If I don't get accepted to the Challenge? Well, there is a plan for that too! I've found 3 blogs from former participants in the challenge, and several posts within those blogs outline the workouts! From their blogs I have also gathered that the eating plan is the "whole food" part of the diet I was on when I did the weight loss program there.
So, the non-challenge plan is:
1 - Follow the eating plan I know they are using (it includes more healthy carbs than the Induction levels I tend to follow)
2 - Create an exercise plan based on the workouts I have found online associated with the program

The end result, with or without the challenge, is that I will be fit, healthy and thinner!
Old 08-02-2011, 07:30 AM   #193

Stephanie-
I am glad you are getting prepared, don't sweat the running the mile it took a few weeks, start the C25K if you have to walk a little you walk a little no biggie, they are not going to beat you if you walk, LOL They have to realize they are taking overweight people who have not been exercising they just want to make it sound scary, don't be scared you will be better prepared than most!!!!! I was scared at that boot camp workout but I did it!!!!
Old 08-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #194
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: glamazon
Stats: 290/279/195 ** 6'2
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 5/25/2014
Hi Stephanie!

I just caught up in your journal-- WOW!! YOU ARE AMAZING!!

So inspirational and I am so proud of you! You can do it and excel with pride!
glamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:29 AM   #195

Steph- need a check in??? What's shaking?
Old 08-04-2011, 05:18 PM   #196
Senior LCF Member

Hi Angela! Thanks so much!

Hi Amber! Thanks for checking in. We've been staying busy trying to get ready for our trip. We leave Saturday for a week. I'm going to try to stay unplugged while we are gone. I'm taking lots of books to read when I'm not walking on the beach.

On Tuesday night I took a free 90 minute self defense class for women. It included a lot of good information and techniques, and I feel a little more confident about being able to defend myself if needed. Also, it was the best workout I've ever had! My abs and core are still feeling it today! I'm considering signing up for their next course if I don't get accepted to the Biggest Loser program.

I hope everyone is doing well! I am cleaning and trying to get things ready for the trip. Packing and preparing take so much more time when there is a toddler involved! And can only occur when he is sleeping, since he would just unpack everything if he was awake and could get to it.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #197

That is right you have your trip, have fun relax and we will miss you!!!! I am sure you will have great stories when you return!!! Yeah on the class WTG!!!!!
Have fun and be safe!!!
Old 08-05-2011, 06:58 AM   #198
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: writermom
Stats: 196/187/145 5'5
WOE: WW PP
Start Date: November 15, 2010
Have a great vacation, Stephanie! I love being unplugged for a few days. It lets you remember all the fun things you used to do before computers, cell phones, texting, etc.
writermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:37 AM   #199

Quote:
We leave Saturday for a week. I'm going to try to stay unplugged while we are gone. I'm taking lots of books to read when I'm not walking on the beach.
Now THAT'S my kind of vacation. Can't beat a good book to read while at the beach. I remember those "toddler" days at the beach, and unfortunately there wasn't a lot of time for reading during that era of my life. They can be a handful indeed.

Get plenty of rest and relaxation and bring back a basket-load of wonderful memories. Be safe.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:48 AM   #200

Have fun Stephanie- enjoy yur toddler, they are so cute at that age, all sandy and excited!!!! Be safe and enjoy, being unplugged sounds marvelous!
Old 08-12-2011, 08:32 AM   #201
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the well wishes everyone, we are back from our vacation!

I think it was one of the most active vacations we've had - walking on the beach twice a day and lots of swimming. Now I have to get to the grocery store and restock. I'll be checking in on everyone and catching up as I have a chance.

I still haven't heard back about the Biggest Loser challenge at my gym. I hope to hear something very soon. I'll be getting back to the gym tonight. I've missed it!
Old 08-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #202

Yeah Steph glad you had a good time, and a good vacation, I missed you!!! I hope when you go through the mail there is something about the challenge!!!!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:07 AM   #203
Senior LCF Member

Hi Amber! I missed everyone here!

I have a new appreciation for your success with the Couch to 5K and running! I tried to start the C25K program Friday night. I was probably too tired to be embarking on something new like that in the first place. I only made it through the first 60 second run. I'm heading to the gym in a couple of hours and I WILL make it through Week 1 Day 1!

Everything I read about C25K and running in general said all you need is a good pair of running shoes. Well I've realized that is not right. If you are a women you also need a SPORTS BRA! I didn't have one on Friday night - no wonder I was so uncomfortable running! I found an old one in the dresser that I'll be wearing today.

I still haven't heard anything from the Biggest Loser challenge. The deadline was August 10th, so I'm hoping I might hear something this week.

I bought a new pair of running shoes yesterday! I went to a local store where they did a fitting and analyzed my gait. They have a treadmill and they video tape you running, then play it back and take measurements to figure out what kind of shoes will be best. This might sound crazy, but looking at a video of my calves and feet made me feel like a real runner! My legs looked strong, not fat! I was so nervous going into the store. I thought they might laugh me out of the store for saying I wanted running shoes. I talked myself through it though. The only way to get fit is to get over those feelings and just pursue my goals. They have a walk to 5K program that just started. It would conflict with the Biggest Loser challenge (assuming I get in) so I told them if I don't get into the Biggest Loser challenge I'll be interested in the next session. They are a sponsor of the challenge, so they knew what I was talking about. While I was getting my shoes my husband and son were in a new retro video game store nearby. I walked in with my shoes and learned the woman who co-owns the video game store is a personal trainer! She does private training and she gave me her card. I told her about the challenge and let her know if I don't get in I might get in touch with her. She does private sessions. Maybe I could meet with her once in a while and she could set up a routine for me? She has young kids too, so she understands what that is like. I feel like a lot of avenues are opening up for me, and even if I don't get into the Challenge I'll have no problem putting together effective workouts.

I'm heading down to the gym when it opens at 11.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #204

Steph- yes bras and shoes very important!!! That shoe fitting sounds cool, it is so hard but seriously I smoke and I was like I am going to die, but you do it, go slow, I run really slow like 14 minute mile, hardly fast but you move, and you must breather properly everyone has their opinions, but for me I have to focus deep breaths through my nose out my mouth and all I think about is breathing and it gets easier!! I know you can do it, TOny is doing rehab for his knee they have him running a minute at a time, he was like holy crap I have a new respect for you, and he is skinny!!! You get used to it, and you do what you can walk if you have to and then move on it gets easier!!!
Old 08-22-2011, 02:41 PM   #205

Steph- what is up, you have not posted how are you doing? How is the running going? Any word on the BL? Fill us in come back!!!!