LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: writermom
Stats: 196/187/145 5'5
WOE: WW PP
Start Date: November 15, 2010
Writermom's next chapter

After spending about 8 months here at LCF, I finally decided to start my own journal to increase my accountability to myself. Although I am a writer (technical, nothing exciting), I don't really enjoy writing about myself. I've never kept a diary or journal, but I think the time has come to do this.

A little about me: My name is Laura, I'm 44, married with a beautiful 6-year old daughter and two teenage stepsons. I never had a weight problem my entire adult life until I got pregnant in 2004 and gained over 50 pounds. Like alot of people, I guess I thought it would come right off after I had the baby, but it didn't. I've struggled these last few years yo-yo dieting up and down. I tried Nutrasystem, Weight Watchers, the Cookie Diet, Slimfast and Optifast. I lost weight on everything except Nutrasystem but couldn't keep it off. By the summer of 2006 I was down to 163 pounds but it was a fight to hold at that weight and I could not do it.

I have read NDR at least 15 times cover to cover and I believe in it. Since November I have lost about 12 pounds but most of it was in the first few months. Now it's time to recommit with exercise added in. I started walking last week and have been trying to do at least 3 days a week on the local soccer loop and free weights for my arms and back on at least 2 other days.

So, here's my first meal and exercise posting (this was yesterday):

B: 2 hardboiled eggs mashed with mayo and avocado
S: Atkins bar
L: Skipped
D: Taco salad (ground beef, lettuce, cheese, avocado, sour cream)
Exercise: weights for 10 minutes

I don't usually skip lunch but I haven't been hungry during the day for the last 2 days.

Please stop by and visit me. I love to visit other people's journals, too.
writermom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: glamazon
Stats: 290/279/195 ** 6'2
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 5/25/2014
A journal!

I look forward to hearing your daily musings. You are a terrific lady, Laura! You can do it!
glamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Angela!

You've encouraged me so much to post and share what is going on in my life. I never would have had the incentive to start a journal if not for you and the Glam gals. I hope you are feeling better today!
Old 05-19-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 19, 2011
Yay Laura! I look forward to reading more about you
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: piratewoman
Stats: 239.8/157.2/? 5'6 age:56 20W then-6 misses now
WOE: Atkins- very low carb
Start Date: August 2010
YAY!!!!!! a new journal, welcome to the elite.
piratewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:45 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Janet and Laura! You guys are all so encouraging and it means alot.

So, this morning I walked again. Two loops around the soccer field, which took about 35 minutes. I have been listening to Kate Morton's novel "The Distant Hours" on audible while I walk and it is delightful. The narrator's voice just carries me away and by the time I end up back at my car I'm still wanting to listen a little longer.

I've been having good food days this entire week and finding that I have no trouble staying on plan.

Yesterday I ate:
B: Fried egg (1 whole, 1 egg white), 2 sausages
S: 1/2 Atkins bar
L: Turkey rollups with cream cheese and pecans, babybell cheese, celery
S: 1/2 slice Julian bread with 1 tb peanut butter
D: Taco salad leftovers on lettuce, celery with homemade dip, 1/2 Atkins bar, glass of wine
E: Walked two loops on soccer field + smaller walk in afternoon

Hope everyone has a nice weekend! We have a t-ball game on Saturday and then on Sunday my husband is taking me out to lunch and antiquing BY OURSELVES! And get this: he came up with this idea on his own. Woo-hoo!!!
Old 05-20-2011, 08:56 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Love your menu - looks great!
Old 05-20-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LIVE_FREE_NH
Stats: 254/233/175 5'8
WOE: LC my way, low dairy
Hi Writermom,

I do technical writing too at my job. Yeah, a little dry but hey, the lady who wrote "Water for Elephants" has same background!!

Your menus and exercise have got you on the right track! Music and books-on-tape are great diversions for exercise! Keep it up lady!

Nancy
LIVE_FREE_NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I love to listen to books while I'm sewing-- I try to go for all the old classics I've either never read or forgotten-- Jane Austen, The Brontes, etc. etc-- you know, the ones you feel guilty for never having read. Makes the time go by quite pleasantly!
Old 05-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: piratewoman
Stats: 239.8/157.2/? 5'6 age:56 20W then-6 misses now
WOE: Atkins- very low carb
Start Date: August 2010
Laura, man does that sound weird...one Laura to another, I hope you had a good day. The weather here has finally decides to be nice, going to be into the 90's next week. Have a good night.
piratewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Well, it figures. The one day DH and I were going to have to ourselves and I caught Angela's Glamazon flu. I was awake all Friday night with an earache and then the horrible coughing started. My chest was so tight it was starting to scare me so I went to the doctor and she said it was an ear infection and fluid in the lungs.

I felt bad for DH so I sent him fishing. He was so sweet and said we could have our lunch/antiquing date another time. My SIL came and took my daughter for their outing. They went bowling. My SIL is sweet but clueless about kids so I am just imagining the amount of junk food, claw games and endless games of bowling she is being talked into.

I'm too tired to post my food for yesterday but it was a good day, although no exercise at all. All I feel like doing is laying on the couch and reading or playing on Facebook. Speaking of which, I need more neighbors for Gardens of Time, so if you play and want to be neighbors, let me know!
Old 05-22-2011, 06:52 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The Glamazon flu sounds bad - feel better soon!
Old 05-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Janet.

So, I've learned a valuable lesson about cooking when you're really sick. Don't do it.

For some inane reason I decided to try making crispy spinach yesterday afternoon. I had a big bag from Costco and figured I would try it out. I have been wanting to test it for a while and see if I could get a nice crispy spinach snack. I mixed the leaves with a little olive oil and salt and laid them out on a baking tray. Sometime later, this happened:

DH: Laura, are you cooking paper?
Me: Huh?
DH: There's all this burned up paper on a tray in the oven.
Me: [indignantly] Why the hell would I...uh-oh.

Thank god for silicone baking mats. I'll be back when I'm feeling better.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:01 PM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Hey Laura-
I found it, took some searching!
I tried making kale chips one time, similar outcome!!!! LOL
Good to see you working and the journals do help, you will start to budge that scale soon enough, I always enjoy your posts!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:24 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

I'm still sick today. Hacking cough, non-stop blowing of the nose--yeah, I'm not a pretty sight.

Work is crazy and I have no option to call out sick because we are a very small department and 2 people are out right now so I have to work sick. It really sucks sometimes. People think it's wonderful to work from home but the major problem is that it is assumed that you never have to take days off because "Oh, well you're home anyway." Yes, I may be home but I'm really sick and would like a day off like other people!

Yesterday I ate:
B: 1 slice Julian bread with cream cheese, 1 HB egg
L: Sauteed spinach with egg whites and cheese
D: Crockpot chicken, salad with goat cheese and tomato
E: None

I'm noticing that late morning and late afternoon are my real hungry times so I'm trying to eat a late morning snack, which has been pushing my lunch to about 2 or 2:30. Yesterday I forced myself to eat at 2:30 because I had to pick up DD from school and didn't want to get the munchies while out of the house, but honestly I wasn't that hungry. Because I wasn't feeling well I didn't make a marinade for the chicken like I usually do and it was bland. I'm going to use the rest of it for chicken salad today for lunch. Yum!
Old 05-24-2011, 08:13 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Fell better soon Laura
Old 05-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #17

Laura- get better, it is hard to work when you dont feel good, and people seem more aggravating when you are sick!
Old 05-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

I'm still feeling crappy but I've been on plan and I'm psyched about that. I'm starting to feel like I did in November and December when I first started lc'ing and could feel the weight coming off. I feel good and want to keep it up, especially going into this long holiday weekend. I know there will be temptations but I'm feeling stronger than I have in a long time.

Yesterday I ate:
B: 2 deviled eggs, 1 slice swiss
S: 1/2 Atkins granola bar
L: chicken salad, celery, babybell
S: 1 slice swiss, 2 small slices of apple, the other half of the Atkins bar
D: corned beef, sauerkraut, peas with butter
1 glass wine with lots of ice before bed

I admit that I like my wine before bed. It helps me relax and I look forward to it after I help DD with homework, shower and her bedtime antics, which usually take at least 30 minutes of me tucking her in, her getting up to tell me something, me tucking her back in, etc, etc. So, instead of trying to deprive myself of it and just making myself pissed off, this week I have been filling a big glass part way with white wine and adding tons of ice. This seems to be a nice compromise for me. It's funny how when you work out one little kink in your plan you just feel powerful and on track again.

Thanks to everyone who has been stopping by to read my journal!
Old 05-25-2011, 08:23 AM   #19

Laura- yes sometimes we have to reevaluate and do what works, that is what I am trying to do right now, get this scale moving again, all the exercise you would think it would melt off, when I am strict I dont drink and man I want a beer or wine!!!
Old 05-26-2011, 07:06 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

I'm feeling a little better today but definitely looking forward to the weekend to take it easy and get completely back to normal.

Yesterday was an okay day. I ate:
B: Atkins bar
S: HB egg
L: chicken salad, celery, 2 slices of swiss
S: 1/2 Atkins bar, babybell, salami, 4 low carb crackers
D: hot dog on low carb wrap, lettuce, tomato, homemade dressing
E: None

I was hungrier than usual yesterday afternoon but we also ate pretty late because of a bunch of stressful family things that are going on. My 95-year old grandma is being moved into assisted living today and she has been putting up a fight, which they say is normal. We need to do this for her safety because she keeps falling in her apartment and has to keep calling the LifeAlert people. They'll probably keep in touch, she calls them so much they all know her! On top of that there is this whole fiasco with my brother, who is separated from his wife and kids and now they are losing their house. My siblings all go to my father for help with everything and the man has a heart condition--It's hard because I just worry about him and they don't seem to see or even care what they are doing to him because they know when they have a problem he will just naturally help them out. I'm trying not to let tall this get to me but he looked terrible yesterday and now he has to help grandma and my stupid ass brother move, all in the same week!

Sorry for the rant, but you guys are all so great and I feel like I can talk to you. It's back to work for me, but I will try to read everyone's journal at lunch. Have a great day!
Old 05-26-2011, 07:27 AM   #21

Laura- we just had to move my 90 year old Gram out of her apartment, she hated losing her Independence it is hard on them and us!!!!!!!

You got a lot of family stuff going on, and you are still being so careful!!! You rock!!!!
Old 05-26-2011, 08:50 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Laura! Glad you're feeling better, it took me a week and a half to crawl back out of the slime. Sorry about your Gram, but this is a good move for her, and hopefully she will settle in and start enjoying herself. Sorry about your dad, too-- you need to get him to slow down and relax, even if you have to beat your brother with a stick. Dads are special!
Old 05-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Everything went pretty well with the move. DH said Grandma was grumbling alot but it's over and she's in her new room at the assisted living place (which is very nice) and watching her beloved Judge Judy.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:11 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Judge Judy!
Old 05-27-2011, 07:21 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

TGIF

Between being sick and all the family drama I'm wiped. This is going to be a do-nothing weekend for me. We have a bbq/birthday party to go to on Sunday, but that's all I'm planning to do.

Yesterday I ate:
B: mock danish with blueberries
S: Lettuce leaves and onion dip, swiss cheese slice
L: Turkey with avocado and mayo on low carb wrap
S: Atkins granola bar, blueberries
D: grilled pizza (lc tortilla, ricotta, fresh basil, mozzerella)
1 glass wine with lots of ice

I had two Mama Lupe tortillas yesterday, 1 for lunch and 1 for dinner. I don't usually eat two in one day but it was another crazy day and I was running late after going to pick DD up from a playdate.

Pizza on the grill is so awesome! I put my ricotta, fresh basil from my garden and mozzerella on the tortilla and then on our gas grill. It took about 10 minutes and was so crispy and perfect. I will definitely be doing that more often.

Today I'm wearing my black jean shorts that were too tight last summer. Oh yeah, it's a good day!
Old 05-27-2011, 07:25 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Way to go on the pizza! Pizza is my all time fabvorite food. I could eat it every day, and did at times!
Old 05-27-2011, 05:39 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

We also have nothing planned, just recovering from 2 weeks of being sick. It sucks! Hope you are feeling better!
Old 05-28-2011, 04:09 AM   #28

Yeah for sexy shorts, that pizza sounds good, the mama lupe are my fav lc tortilla and the ones from Trader Joes if you have one!!!
Old 05-28-2011, 10:43 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Laura have a great day!
Old 05-31-2011, 09:07 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

I was BAD this weekend. I had too much fruit and I ended up eating a piece of cake for my mother's birthday. Today is a new day though and I'm not beating myself up about it. I had a scrambled egg for breakfast and I'm trying to drink tons of water today.

My daughter has her pictures today for the dance recital. I can't wait to see her in her costume. My mom is doing her hair and makeup for the pictures. The actual recital is this weekend. It's going to be so cute.

Hope everyone had a nice weekend. I'll check blogs later today.