Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 04:52 AM   #181
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Laura- how was Christmas, I saw the kids on FB, how you feeling?
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2011, 02:14 PM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: writermom
Stats: 196/187/145 5'5
WOE: WW PP
Start Date: November 15, 2010
Just ordered my 10-pound kettlebell and the Jillian shred DVD.

I think I've mentioned before that my DH and my younger stepson who is 15 are both seriously into the kettle bells. They go to a Russian gym that is kind of grungy but the guys there have been great to my stepson and really encouraged him to get into awesome shape. They want me to go there too but I'm gonna try it with Jillian first and see how I like it.

Christmas was really great and all the kids enjoyed themselves. It's just nice to have them all together for 2 days and especially nice for DD to spend quality time with her brothers. She made them play every game she got for Christmas. I think they were happy to leave!

We are staying in for New Year's, which is fine with me. We will go to church on New Years Eve and then come home and hang out, just the 3 of us.

Monday is the day! Honey Badger Mean Girl time. I'm getting ready to put the holiday hijinks behind me and get some serious weight loss going on again. Also, 2012 is going to be my year of renewed fitness. I had a minor health scare a few weeks ago that made me realize how out of shape I am and that has got to change!

Well, one more day of work and then this year is done. This was supposed to be a quiet week at work. Yeah, right. Why do I always fall for that??
writermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:18 PM   #183
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: glamazon
Stats: 290/279/195 ** 6'2
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 5/25/2014
Kettlebells!
glamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #184

They go to a Russian gym that is kind of grungy

OMG I would love that! My gym is so gross, but its good, never have to worry about looking good,and everytime I am rolling around on that nasty floor, I know I left a bunch of sweat there too, LOL

Go for the kettlebells, do it, I got the new BL video, the body sculpt or something with all the trainers, I will go through it tomorrow at some point and let you know my thoughts, I told Bobby he is doing it with me, LOL Bobby is so funny he is like man Mom I am out of shape, I am like no **** really? You sit head in that Ipod, you have not run with me since summer, it is cold now so he doesnt want to run, I said you need to move your ass, you like to eat!!! LOL

New Years sounds nice, I wish we were just staying home but the party for the kids at my cousin's will be nice!
Old 12-30-2011, 05:16 AM   #185
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
Start Date: January 19, 2011
Laura, good for you getting in the Mean Girl mode!
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:09 AM   #186
Senior LCF Member

Thanks you guys.

This kettle bell thing is going to be a big challenge for me. I've never liked working out and I'm insanely uncoordinated but I told DH about it and he is totally supportive and thinks I'm going to love it.

I've been doing alot of thinking thanks to Angela about what I need to change in terms of what I have been doing over the last year with lc. I know it works but I don't get the fabulous results that some people do even when I go super low carb. So, it's obvious that I need to do much more exercise than I normally do, which honestly isn't much.

I'm not really into the whole new year's resolutions thing but maybe this year I should be. So, I resolve to:
*Eat clean
*Drink water
*Exercise

That wasn't so hard after all. I'm actually looking forward to next week and getting my butt moving in the right direction again.

Happy New Year all!
Old 12-30-2011, 07:20 AM   #187

Yeah Laura I know it is a wake up call what we can all do to improve, I have been doing much soul searching myself! Giving up the wine will help, and getting moving can only make you feel good, we are all going to earn that Honey Badger shirt, you will see it on the challenge thread I said when we lose 25 pounds our spouses need to buy us that as a reward, so tell hubby, you are going to be earning a shirt!!!!
Old 12-30-2011, 08:57 AM   #188
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I love the kettlebells, Laura-- it's the ONLY form of exercise that I can see myself doing long term and enjoying at the same time. There is no jumping or running or bouncing or anything that will hurt my feet, and it just seems so easy while I'm doing it-- and yet when I'm done I am huffing and puffing and really feel it! I looked at the Julian dvd, and it looks much more, uh, ACTIVE, than my Sarah Lurie Iron Core dvd. Sara is RKC cerified and all her forms are correct... I would be very careful with the Jillian moves, as I heard some were awkward and could lead to injury. (This is second hand info, I have not entirely seen or actually tried Jillian's workout-- I just looked at snippets on youtube and when she was forcing jumping jacks I knew she wasn't for me.) That's not saying anything, I just can't jump for fear of plantar faciitis coming back. I would love a full report on the work out after you have done it a few times! Just don't force anything that seems awkward, the kettlebells should use natural movements and feel "right."

Here was my Iron Core review from my journal, in case you missed it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamazon View Post

DVD REVIEW:

Me likey!! The package I bought has 4 dvds in it, and so I began with the beginners, dvd #1, natch. (Well, after figuring out they accidently switched labels with dvd #2, but I figured it out.) Sarah Lurie is not annoying, she is very straightforward and serious, but pleasantly so. I appreciated that. I don't like hyper tiny chicks yelling at me. She's nice to look at, too, enviable strong body and pretty face. I liked her.

The exercises were all very simple, straightforward and not awkward at all. I only used a 10 pound weight, which really was too light, but it was my first time. It was all about moving the weight around, and I could feel it in all my muscles. Felt good!

Why I'm loving the kettlebells so far:

*It mixes cardio, stretching and weight training all at the same time.

*Kettlebells don't take up hardly any space.

*They don't make you do ridiculous things, and don't make you do long reps of anything.

*Lots of nicely timed water breaks, which I use for stretching.

*I'm a total weakling slug and I enjoyed the circuit very much. It was DECEPTIVELY effective. I didn't feel like I did all that much, but I'm really feeling it now!

*Her instruction was good, I never felt I was in danger of dropping the weight or tweaking my back.

*All the movements felt natural and right.

*I always live in fear of getting plantar fasciitis again, but nothing I did effected my feet negatively. There was no jumping of any kind, which I reeeeeeally liked.

*It's easy to start out all wussy-like and baby step your way to doing it all better.

*I did not need a sportsbra! No boob flopping fat flapping exercises.

*The beginner video has 3 circuits, all very similar, and it makes about 45 minutes of workout. (Today I have time constraints, so I only did the first one. Still felt good!)

*I can do them at home dressed in shabby old too small yoga pants with only the dog as an audience. He'll never tell anyone how ridiculous I look, because I'm The Food Lady Who Might Have Bacon.

So, there you have it. I like the dvd, and I like the kettlebells and I'M ALL SET!!

Do-Over Divas
Photos of My Low Carb Meals

Last edited by glamazon; 12-30-2011 at 08:58 AM..
Old 01-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #189

happy new year Laura!!!

Get over here
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post15288248
Old 01-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #190
Senior LCF Member

I love the start of a new year! So far I'm on track with my exercise. Kettlebell hasn't arrived yet so I've been doing my elliptical.

Yesterday DD and I had a great day. Everyone else went back to work/school except us. We watched the Rose parade, which I love and look forward to every year. Then we went to get her hair cut. She was so funny. As the girl was cutting her hair she asked her "This is gonna look cute on me, right?" Only 7 and already a fashionista. Then we ran errands and by then it was freezing out so we went home and I made her hot cocoa and me orange spice green tea. I just love spending the day with my girl.

Today it's back to work and back on strict lc. So far, so good.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #191

Aw Laura that sounds like a fun day!!! I love it little diva in the making, LOL Like my niece, OMG she is so high maintenance already at 5! LOL

I am glad you found the honey badger challenge, this is going to be the year to meet your goals! No more fooling for us, no more wine, we are getting this damn thing done!
Old 01-04-2012, 07:14 AM   #192
Senior LCF Member

So, my weight is basically back to where it was when I first started lc in November 2010. This is frustrating but it won't stop me.

I've started getting periods again, which I haven't had in a while. I actually thought maybe I was done with them since my OB said at my last visit that I was most likely entering the dreaded menopause. The bloating is bad enough but the hormone headaches are the worst. I'm going to try to power through it and do my elliptical at lunch though, like I had planned to do.

I'm trying some new approaches over the next 2 weeks. It's time to experiment and see if I can move the scale in the right direction with a different mindset.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #193
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Go Laura! Have a wonderful day! (lol, I'm exactly where I was in 11/10, too! Don't let it get you down.)
Old 01-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #194

Laura- dont be getting all down on yourself, you are doing it now, we got a little too lose gained some back but none the less, think if you were not trying at all in that last year where would you be, I bet 20-25 pounds heavier!!!! We jsut need to suck it up now and see some results and then things can be added back in in moderation, and I am telling you getting exercising will help burn calories and increase your resting metabolic advantage!

I am going to embarrass myself tonight at the gym and try those darn pull ups again! I am going to do it!
Old 01-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #195
Senior LCF Member

So, yesterday proved that I'm tougher than I think I am. Had a great day eating on plan, lowering calories and generally feeling really good despite the TOM.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I couldn't keep coming here and facing my demon fat without support from my ladies!

Still waiting for my damn kettle bells to get here. I'm getting impatient now. They better get here soon or I'm gonna go all Nasty Crazy Honey Badger on the postman.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #196

You are not facing fat demon you are pounding it off you!!! You can do it! I know you can, just like Ang you stuck to the diet and WOE, that is a big step in itself, honey badgers talk nice to themselves, just try to be positive and it will all come! You can do this!
Old 01-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #197
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Amber! I'm talking nice to myself today. I started JUDDD on Wednesday and so far it's going well. I haven't weighed because I only like to do that once a week, but I feel good. The down days are going to be tough but what's weird is yesterday was an up day and I wasn't hungry at all. I had to force myself to eat dinner to up my calories. Today is a down day and I'm a little hungrier than usual but I think it might just be in my head because I know I can't eat much.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #198

Good luck sweetie, you can do it, badger like intensity this weekend, and that scale is going to reward you, you will see! No wine!!!!! If I am not drinking, nobody can drink, LOL

You can do it!!!
Old 01-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #199
Senior LCF Member

My kettlebells are here!
Old 01-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #200

Oh boy now you can play all weekend, I would be stokked!
Old 01-09-2012, 07:10 AM   #201
Senior LCF Member

Wow, this weekend just seemed to fly by. On Saturday DD and I took a long walk. Well, I walked and she rode her scooter. Then she wanted to take me into the nature trail so I ended up having to carry the Razor all through the trail. I have to admit it was a good workout carrying that thing!

I hate my new scale. It's small and feels like crap but it was the best one they had at Target and I said the hell with it lets' get it and get out of here. Today it says 195.5. Whatever scale, I hate you.

Today was my first kettle bell workout and it was...different. Okay, I'm not having fun yet but I'm sure I will eventually. I don't really like new things, it takes me a while to warm up to them.

Today is a busy day. Happy Monday!
Old 01-09-2012, 07:15 AM   #202
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Have a great day Laura!
Old 01-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #203

I got mine at Target last week, it was hard to know how accurate it was since I was so blown up, I hate my new display, like I am half blind in the morning and it is hard to read the numbers, mine is a Taylor I think? It was $15, but that was the one I had before, and it lasted well, and doesn't need batteries.

Well the kettlebells are new so you have to get used to them, you will, learn to embrace them and show them who is boss! At least hubby and son can help you with them for now, did you get a video to do with them?
Old 01-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #204
Senior LCF Member

Yep, I have the Jillian Michaels 'Shred it With Weights.' It's definitely advanced for me at this point but hopefully I'll come around.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #205

Laura- you forgot the honey badger weigh in should I put you down at 195.5??? No worries I got a new scale last week so it is all down from that number, it is just a crazy number!!!
Old 01-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #206
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Laura!
Old 01-12-2012, 07:14 AM   #207
Senior LCF Member

What a week! DD sprained her ankle again the other day. This is the same one she sprained last summer. I guess it must be weak or something, plus she jumps around all the time like a lunatic. I let her stay home 1 day to rest it but don't want her missing too much school now cuz we are going to Florida in February. She hobbled into school today but of course was complaining all the way.

Yesterday was a good day. It's funny though how on my UDs I'm not feeling like eating that much. I was good though, I ate:

B: 1 egg plus 1 egg white scrambled with diced pepperoni
S: babybell and celery
L: confetti slaw boiled to pasta consistency with 1 tb peanut satay, smoked salmon, swiss cheese
D: Taco salad

I need to focus on my water today. Have not been doing a good job with that at all this week.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:15 AM   #208
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Laura, I'm glad you are doing JUDDD with me!
I hope you like it as much as I do
Old 01-13-2012, 07:21 AM   #209
Senior LCF Member

Janet,
I have mixed feelings about it but it's only been a little over a week. I'm really afraid of screwing up my counting but I think it probably just takes time to get used to doing it.

I've decided to add boxing to my exercise. Yes, I said boxing. My son has this huge, very good quality heavy bag in the basement and gloves so I decided to give it a try. I'm starting out with just jabs and cross body. DH thinks this is really hysterical but boxing is a good workout and I have all the equipment, plus it's too cold right now to walk in the morning. I'm sure I look like an idiot, but who cares? The really cool thing is we have a timer that you can time your rounds to 1, 2 or 3 minutes. Let me tell you, 1 minute is pretty tough. I feel like Ralphie from A Christmas Story bashing that nasty red-headed kid.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #210
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Scott Farkus!! Gethim Laura!