LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2011, 03:51 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Keeping It Lit

Quote:
Each of us has a fire in our hearts for something.
It’s our goal in life to find it and keep it lit.

- Mary Lou Retton

Part 1 of my journey:

WATCH-ME'S Goal Seeking Journal
WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2011, 03:59 AM   #2

We cannot grow complacent in our desire to be our best. The journey is never over. If something is to thrive, have longevity, have integrity, be meaningful, it must be tended to daily and with great attention to detail. Make it matter. Give it priority. Feed it. Often.

There really isn't a finish line.

The flame must stay lit.

I plan to keep it lit.

I begin this day with quiet solitude, a cup of coffee, and a bit of reading and introspection. I look forward to fasted cardio in a few minutes.

Yesterday was a good day in the gym, a med/high day in carbs. I worked glutes, quads, delts and abs for an hour. Finished with cardio. I hadn't had protein pancakes in a few weeks, and that was my first post workout meal, following my whey shake.

Today will be a low carb, low cal day. I hope to see the sun today.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:12 PM   #3

Sunday April 17

I was able to get in 40 mins of cardio this morning. 20 mins ellip, 20 mins running. I could have kept going if I’d had the time.

Needing to be at a job by 8:00 in the morning (covering for a friend), but first needing to stop by my office to pack up my equipment, it looks like I’ll be leaving an hour and 15 mins earlier than usual tomorrow morning. No time to waste.

Even if I get up a little earlier, my cardio time will be cut short. So I’m gonna get in a little extra cardio tonight, both for that reason, and because I need the release that cardio is great at providing.

Enjoyed the beautiful sun today. I was able to lie in the sun and read for about an hour this afternoon. It felt glorious and restful. It’s good to rest and relax. Does a body/mind good.

Determined to stay low carb and low calorie today, I drank lots of water and ate mostly whole clean, low carb foods. So far so good. "Keeping It Lit."

Yesterday was successful with both nutrition and workouts, and it looks as though I’ll be on track for the start of a new week, today having gone well as planned.

Oh, if only every day were this easy to stick to plan. I do my best most of the time. With spring and better weather surfacing, it will be easier to keep my mood elevated and my mind focused and where it needs to be with goals.

Usually I can find my way back to clearer thinking if I am mindful, if I SEE the visual, stick to clean eating, get in my supps, my fasted a.m. cardio, and as much natural sunlight (Vit D) as possible. Spring is a time to clean out the debris – emotionally, physically, literally – to make way for summer best. And that will be here sooner than we realize.

Ready to stretch and hit it.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 04-17-2011 at 04:15 PM..
Old 04-18-2011, 06:59 PM   #4

Long busy day.

Longer evening. Track meets last forever.

I made a chocolate protein brownie to take with me to the meet. Not bad! Might tweak the next one a bit...but it has promise. It definitely has promise.

Going to bed. Morning will be here in a flash, and I'll be up early to hit the gym before work. No time for gym again until Thursday.

Only 20 mins of cardio this morning, fasted. All I had time for all day, except for 10 mins of Callanetics right after work.

Low carb today, second day in a row. Tomorrow will be a medium day.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 04-18-2011 at 07:00 PM..
Old 04-19-2011, 08:05 AM   #5

I forgot to set the alarm this morning, but my internal clock was faithful. I made it to the gym a little later than I had planned, but no docket today and my boss is AWOL, so it's all good.

Great workout. There were only two other people working out in the gym this morning, besides me. I pretty much had the place to myself. It's great for having more space for circuits, walking lunges, etc. I worked triceps today (3 diff exercises x 4 sets), abs, one high-rep set of upright rows; walking lunges, squats, step-ups, and hyperextension hamstring work, beginning and ending with cardio. I could have gone on and on and on ... My stamina in the morning is out the roof. I SO miss training in the morning. It's such a "shot in the arm" for me to start my day that way.

On the way home from the gym, John Mayer's "Say" began playing on the radio. I opened the sun/moon roof and cranked up the volume, welcoming the cool morning air across my face. That song has a special meaning to me. A good finale tune for my workout this morning.

YouTube - John Mayer - Say

Have no fear for giving in
Have no fear for giving over
You'd better know that in the end
Its better to say too much
Than never to say what you need to say again

Even if your hands are shaking
And your faith is broken
Even as the eyes are closing
Do it with a heart wide open

Say what you need to say

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 04-19-2011 at 08:06 AM..
Old 04-19-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
Hey Twyla!

I really like the title of your new journal, as well as the first quote you have in your siggie. Very fitting for you!

Sounds like you had an awesome workout this morning! Do you normally separate your upper body work and pair it with a lot of lower body work? Chalean does that with CLX, and I just love it. Right now, I do bicep/triceps & lower body on Mondays, shoulders and lower body on Wednesdays, and chest/back and lower body on Fridays.

I haven't done walking lunges in forever - I really need to incorporate them into my workouts!

Have a great day, hon!
Firm Hottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firm Hottie View Post
Hey Twyla!

I really like the title of your new journal, as well as the first quote you have in your siggie. Very fitting for you!

Sounds like you had an awesome workout this morning! Do you normally separate your upper body work and pair it with a lot of lower body work? Chalean does that with CLX, and I just love it. Right now, I do bicep/triceps & lower body on Mondays, shoulders and lower body on Wednesdays, and chest/back and lower body on Fridays.

I haven't done walking lunges in forever - I really need to incorporate them into my workouts!

Have a great day, hon!
Hey, Laura.

My workout patterns? I try to hit all muscle groups twice a week, if I can. And since I need work on lower body more than upper, I make sure I incorporate SOME lower body usually each time I work out. But I rotate what exercises I do for lower body, so it's never the same thing twice. Walking lunges, however, I try to do twice a week because they're INCREDIBLY effective for me. I do four sets of 20-25 walking lunges, with left/right equaling one full step. It kicks my butt, yanking the heart rate up and targeting the muscles all in one.

I don't do exercises the same way every time either. For instance, squats, I'll elither do BB, DB or machine squats, and either narrow, med or wide stance; with or without pulsing at the end of the set. Constantly varied.

Some days I work two upper body muscle groups, other days, if I'm short on time, just one upper body muscle group along with lower body stuff.

And then I throw in one "token" exercise just to keep my body guessing. For instance, doing the UR rows this morning, even though I wasn't working traps or shoulders today, but because I didn't do this move the LAST time I worked shoulders.

I really love doing the sumo-squat/biceps compound you told me about. That's a keeper!

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 04-19-2011 at 12:21 PM..
Old 04-19-2011, 04:09 PM   #8

Old 04-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Sounds like a good set-up you have there, hon.

If you like the sumo/double bicep combo, here are a few more that you might like: split squat/single tricep kickback (kickback with opposite arm from whichever foot is forward) squat/double lat row, sumo squat/double lat raise, squat/double shoulder press.

I your new quote - it's so true!
Old 04-20-2011, 08:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Sounds like a good set-up you have there, hon.

If you like the sumo/double bicep combo, here are a few more that you might like: split squat/single tricep kickback (kickback with opposite arm from whichever foot is forward) squat/double lat row, sumo squat/double lat raise, squat/double shoulder press.

I your new quote - it's so true!
Thanks, Laura...those are some good compounds I wanna check out my next trip to the gym. Either tomorrow morning or evening...haven't decided yet.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:07 AM   #11

Began the morning with Super Callanetics and followed it with 11 mins on the elliptical. I'll do more cardio this evening. The Callanetics felt wonderful as always. I'm always uplifted -- both physically and mentally -- after each session; it's as if it makes you feel taller, longer, leaner, stronger, and with an extra step of energy in your gait. Hard to put into words.

I had roasted a turkey breast on Sunday, and I brought the last bit of it along with me today to have with my spinach salad. It was (is) so good! What an easy way to have lean, yummy protein. It was almost entirely frozen when I put it in the roaster, sprinkled liberally with salt, pepper, rosemary and some garlic. Nothing else needed. It was moist and heavenly. I must get another one while at the grocery store later this afternoon.

It's been FREEZING in my office this morning. They've messed with the cooling system in the building and it's all out of whack. When I'm cold, you can assume there's something wrong with the cooling. Thankfully I wore a rain jacket this morning, and the weather-proof fabric is helping to trap heat in while I sit at my desk preparing transcripts. This is CRAZY! I've tried doing dips and squats now and then, and even tea and coffee all morning, and still cold!

Old 04-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #12

I haven't tracked food faithfully for 3-4 days. Enough of that, before it gets away from me.

TOTALS FOR WED APR 20

(Low day rotations)

CALS 1404

MACROS:
164 PROT – 47%
51 CARBS – 17%
170 FIBER
65 FAT – 41%

(Plus about 7-8 almonds that I forgot to add)

EXERCISE:

45 MINS SUPER CALLAN + 11 mins cardio (a.m.)
20 MINS LISS CARDIO P.M.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 04-20-2011 at 04:47 PM..
Old 04-21-2011, 10:16 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Twyla!

That sounds like a great way to cook a turkey breast! I have one in the freezer that I need to cook - I think I'll go ahead and give your way a shot. Did you put any water into the crock pot when you started it?

I had a shrimp & crab spinach salad last night that was to die for good. Who says that you can't have it all in a healthy and delicious dish?

Where you ever able to warm up? I hope so.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #14

Training day -- slash -- med carb day.

Just got back from the gym. Decided to sleep in a little later this morning, having gotten some signals from my body that I needed it. Felt good to get the extra rest.

Trained for 50 mins. Today was glutes, biceps and abs; token inner thigh work and 3 sets of reverse pyramid lat pulldowns. Began and ended with cardio, 40 mins total. I've had a post workout whey shake (Gaspari Delicious Vanilla -- sinfully good), and now I'm ready for dinner -- chicken and brussel sprouts. My carbs today (aside from green veggies) have been blueberries, Fiber One, oats, and 2 squares of Lindt 85% chocolate, and the trace carbs of cottage cheese and a few almonds. I'll update tomorrow morning with totals.

It's been a great day. Feeling lean and driven and focused. Vacation time will be here sooner than I realize.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Hey Twyla!

That sounds like a great way to cook a turkey breast! I have one in the freezer that I need to cook - I think I'll go ahead and give your way a shot. Did you put any water into the crock pot when you started it?

I had a shrimp & crab spinach salad last night that was to die for good. Who says that you can't have it all in a healthy and delicious dish?

Where you ever able to warm up? I hope so.
Laura, I was up early Sunday morning, and I put the frozen turkey breast in the crockpot with the seasonings in its cavity for about 1.5 hrs on high, then I took it out, put it in a covered roaster with about 1/2 c of water and baked it slowly at 300 for about 2.5 more hours. It was SO GOOD.

And NO. I DID NOT WARM UP at the office today. That crazy air conditioning system is so screwed up. Thankfully our law clerk wasn't at work today and she had told me I could borrow her little space heater -- which I DID! A heater? Me needing a heater? I suppose stranger things have happened.

But I managed to warm up quite well once I hit the gym this evening. (understatement)
Old 04-21-2011, 11:28 PM   #16

Once again.

No rest for the weary.
I've been wide awake pretty much all night

I made the mistake of having coffee before I went to the gym. I rarely have coffee late in the day. I wasn't even thinking when I poured the cup. I just knew I wanted it. I REALLY wanted my cup of java and a protein oatmeal no-bake bar before hitting the gym. I didn't even think twice. I drank it strictly on impulse.

And here I sit. Again.

I've been reading and researching and learning and blogging and thinking and planning and reliving and revisiting and...

S L E E P I N G ?
No.

I've welcomed my beloved Friday a bit too soon. It should be interesting.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:31 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: westiesam
Stats: 165/137/123
WOE: LC/Low Glycemic/Carb Cycling
Start Date: January 2011
Hi Twyla
I just finished reading your first journal from beginning to end -- it took a few days - but what an inspiration it was! I've discovered that we're both Gemini's.....which means we can do two things better at once than most people can do one at a time
I learned alot from your journal -- especially hearing that you lost your mom last year -- I'm so sorry about that -- but what I learned is that you never quit and never gave up your goals which is something I have a tendency to do when the going gets really tough and life starts crashing down on me. Thanks for that lesson...
I'm also grateful that you always stop by my journal to give me the encouragement that I need -- I'm going to start Turbo Jam this week so stop by and see how I'm doing with that.

Have a Blessed Easter
Sharon
westiesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:57 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Hey hon!

I'm sorry that you had a sleepless night. I did too, so I know how you feel. I attributed mine to a nasty storm that woke - and kept me up, but maybe, just maybe, it was the coffee that I too had late in the evening. Oops! Here's hoping that your day is an easy one and flies by so that you can get some much-needed rest.

Thanks for the tip on the turkey breast - I'm going to cook mine Sunday instead of a ham, and will do it the same way that you did.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: tempted_by_food
Stats: 233/164/140
WOE: HHCG Rogue Style....
Start Date: restart: 7/13/2009
I love the title too!!! Only seeing your new journal now I am a little late coming to say hi I hope you have a lovely Easter however you plan to spend it
tempted_by_food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by westiesam View Post
Hi Twyla
I just finished reading your first journal from beginning to end -- it took a few days - but what an inspiration it was! I've discovered that we're both Gemini's.....which means we can do two things better at once than most people can do one at a time
I learned alot from your journal -- especially hearing that you lost your mom last year -- I'm so sorry about that -- but what I learned is that you never quit and never gave up your goals which is something I have a tendency to do when the going gets really tough and life starts crashing down on me. Thanks for that lesson...
I'm also grateful that you always stop by my journal to give me the encouragement that I need -- I'm going to start Turbo Jam this week so stop by and see how I'm doing with that.

Have a Blessed Easter
Sharon
Sharon, whoa...didn't realize you were taking on the epic challenge of my WHOLE journal. I appreciate your comments regarding my goals, my character, the loss of my mother (best friend). A lesson? Perhaps. I think we ALL learn from each other's struggles in one way or another.

I can tell you that I'm grateful to have met YOU and I'm so happy for the progress you've been making in achieving your OWN goals. Turbo Jam, huh? Touche. Sounds like an awesome plan. I'll be sure to stay tuned!
A blessed Easter to you as well, my dear new friend.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:59 PM   #21

Quote:
Hey hon!

I'm sorry that you had a sleepless night. I did too, so I know how you feel. I attributed mine to a nasty storm that woke - and kept me up, but maybe, just maybe, it was the coffee that I too had late in the evening. Oops! Here's hoping that your day is an easy one and flies by so that you can get some much-needed rest.

Thanks for the tip on the turkey breast - I'm going to cook mine Sunday instead of a ham, and will do it the same way that you did.
Mission accomplished.

(afternoon nap!)
Old 04-22-2011, 01:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted_by_food View Post
I love the title too!!! Only seeing your new journal now I am a little late coming to say hi I hope you have a lovely Easter however you plan to spend it
Sans...Hoping your Easter is delightful as well. (Stay outta the PB eggs, K?)

(And those Peeps?

Are you a peeps kind of gal? Thankfully, they do NOTHING for me.)
Old 04-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #23

TOTALS FOR THURS APR 21

(Med day rotations) -- (slightly low on overall numbers)

CALS 1716

MACROS:

198 PROT
94 CARBS
29 FIBER
68 FAT – 35%

Exercise (as mentioned previously)
Old 04-22-2011, 01:21 PM   #24

I suppose for a day that I needed to catch up on rest, a rainy day it may as well be.

I did get a nap in. I had a rather busy morning otherwise. Managed to get in 25 mins LISS fasted cardio before work.

I've now opened a bottle of my favorite red wine -- Ergo -- and I'm having a glass as I begin to unwind on this quiet, rainy, Friday afternoon.

It beckons me to slow down and catch my breath and ... well, just exhale.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:21 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: westiesam
Stats: 165/137/123
WOE: LC/Low Glycemic/Carb Cycling
Start Date: January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
Sans...Hoping your Easter is delightful as well. (Stay outta the PB eggs, K?)

(And those Peeps?

Are you a peeps kind of gal? Thankfully, they do NOTHING for me.)
Hi Twyla
Thank goodness Peeps do nothing for me either -- however when I was shopping at the Mall of America at the end of March - one store had hundreds of boxes of orange Peeps hanging in the window with a few yellow Peeps scattered here and there -- it was an awesome display......
The sun is finally shining here - no wind- and even though we got 2 more inches of snow yesterday --it's time to get outside and walk Bailey. Then we have to deliver Easter baskets to all of her doggie friends.
Have a great day.
Sharon
westiesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:06 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCPeachey
Stats: 271/259/145
WOE: ATKINS 72
Start Date: 6/22/13
Twyla... Awesome journal (both) ... Thanks for stopping by and being so inspirational and such a wonderful person (friend).. Wishing you and yours a HAPPY EASTER... Have a great weekend!!!
SCPeachey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:53 PM   #27

YouTube - Soothing Relaxing Music Whispering Sea (Full) & Sunset Kauai

Discovered while music surfing...

Absolutely beautiful!

Old 04-24-2011, 05:00 AM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: tempted_by_food
Stats: 233/164/140
WOE: HHCG Rogue Style....
Start Date: restart: 7/13/2009
Takes a huge sigh of relief we dont get "peeps" here luckily but we do get lots of other yummy crap have a lovely Easter sunday
tempted_by_food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #29

Easter blessings to everyone!

Old 04-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #30

Catching up.

I injured my low left back on Saturday morning while using a new overhead press machine I'd not used before. My form was poor (I could feel it) and THAT set me up. Later in my training, while doing BB squats, I finished off the twinge that had begun on that machine. I had managed to get most of my workout in before that happened, still ended up doing 20 mins of followup cardio. As the day wore on, my discomfort (inflammation) increased and Sunday was truly painful. Lots of lying around on ice for the most part all day Sunday.

I've been taking ani-inflams and icing on/off since then, and it's considerably better. In fact, I felt almost normal today. I decided to go for a walk/run this morning. After lots of stretching (thank you Callanetics), I began with 10 mins on the ellip, then did a 20 min run, stopping once for about 60 secs to do MORE stretching, then ended the run with another 10 mins of stretching. I was expecting to maybe pay for this later in the day. I did not. All is well with my body so far. I will not push my luck; I'm waiting till Friday to resume weight training.

I stopped by the gym tonight to speak to a friend of mine and her fiance, both trainers/competitors/owners, and I mentioned to her what happened. We talked at length. I showed her what I was doing when I suspected the culprit to my injury; she pointed out my flawed form. :blush: No one was with me Saturday morning, and I guess I was feeling invincible. Lesson learned.

I'm sick of rain. I'm sick of rain. I'm sick of rain. That's all I have to say about THAT.

I'm going to do Callanetics before bed tonight, and then plan to run or do some form of fasted cardio in the morning. My meals this week have all been very low carb, low calorie (1400ish). Mirror wise, I'm feeling encouraged, despite my setback with my training.

Very busy week in court. I think (hope) I'll sleep well tonight....

EL NOY