Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 10:59 AM   #241
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Ileen, you're right, circuit training can be very depleting, both in energy AND strength. I probably DID lift a tad too heavy on a couple of the exercises, but the others I actually have lifted heavier at other times. I guess it was just the cumulative effect of all of them, all at once, no resting.

I was inspired to do this circuit after reviewing a video clip a friend had sent to me once--a keeper that I enjoy watching now and then. It was a leg circuit, but still, it was quite inspirting and motivating to watch, and since I was due a back workout, I threw this routine together the night before and decided to try it out.

Yes, leisure reading I miss too. I don't seem to have the time for it that I'd like to have. I love mysteries and romances best. Anita Shreve is one of my favorite authors. Nicholas Evans, Nicholas Sparks, John Grisham to name some others. When I begin reading for leisure, I tend to put the rest of the world on hold as I allow myself to become unyieldingly fixated and enthralled by the story. A guilty pleasure.

WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #242

Yesterday's high day went rather well. I intentionally allowed myself to have high calories AND carbs. I wanted my glyco stores to be overflowing with a total RESET effect on my CNS, esp while having trained fasted, with the exception of the BCAA's.

I tracked till mid afternoon, all very targeted/balanced meals, very low in fat and high in clean carbs. Later in the day I enjoyed pizza for dinner and some lowfat ice cream and a couple other indulgences. I was very full! I don't like feeling that way particularly, but I knew it would do my body some good, esp after yesterday's training -- very hard, intense, high volume LB with some token tricep and core work.

My body must have been craving rest, because I slept until 9:00 this morning!!!When I woke up in the middle of the night to pee, I knew then I was in for it DOMS wise. Oh.My.Gosh. My butt and leg muscles were aching like crazy. Even more so when I finally got up this moring. I had two huge cups of coffee. Then I took two ibuprofen. After church I went on a 28 min brisk walk, wanting to cash in on the "golden" window of 16-hour fasted cardio. My meals today will be higher fat and very low carb. I will try to keep the cals low. The fun is over. Back to strategic clean eating.

The walk helped to alleviate some of the muscle soreness I was feeling. My higher carbs yesterday will help to feed my muscles as they repair, so no regrets with my nutritional totals yesterday, as I move forward with purpose, control and confidence. I must have been retaining a little bit of fluid this morning from the carb up (and the heat), but that has already begun correcting itself. And the extra water I'm drinking will help with that. Hoping for a good week ahead.

My plan is to switch to total body, less volume, for training this week.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:57 AM   #243

On Time Management:

Quote:
"Redefining Quality Time:This may be the most crucial part of taking back your time. How you spend your leisure hours will determine how successful you will be. Why? It all dials into the limitations of a 24-hour day. The time investment does not have to be huge, but it does have to be focused and consistent.....If the folks who use their free time for TV and Twitter are happy with their waist size, bank account, sex life, family life, and life in general, I say go for it, watch your TV....but how many are that happy?"
Robert Pagliarini, Financial and Time Efficiency Columist for CBS MoneyWatch; "How To Live Better on 24 Hours a Day," Men's Health, Sept 2010.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:52 AM   #244

Yesterday ... not a good day.

Emotional overeating havoc.

Enough said.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:40 AM   #245

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Twyla:
OMG it took 2 weeks but I finally found your old journal and now this one!! I had to laugh reading your first journal, you sounded just like me, so afraid to add good carbs!!!! WOW Now I will have something to read and see how you started out!!!!

Sorry you had a bad day yesterday I hope today you woke up with new found strength!!! You are an amazing woman and support!!!!!

Amber
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:32 AM   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
Twyla:
OMG it took 2 weeks but I finally found your old journal and now this one!! I had to laugh reading your first journal, you sounded just like me, so afraid to add good carbs!!!! WOW Now I will have something to read and see how you started out!!!!

Sorry you had a bad day yesterday I hope today you woke up with new found strength!!! You are an amazing woman and support!!!!!

Amber
Thanks, Amber.

Glad my journal has been helpful to you. You are undaunted by slipups and plateaus...you are on a mission...you are learning to trust...and it's paying off for you. So very happy for you, girl.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:08 AM   #247

I have been trying to run in a fasted state first thing in the morning I struggle to move, and cant quite go as far, maybe I need to try a little more carbs the evening before.
What is DOMS?

I am having my trainer kick up the interval training, trying to get in 3- 90 minute sessions with her a week, since she pushes me further than I think I can go!!! Then running 3 times a week, and usually a spin class on Saturdays, I am trying to schedule one rest day. I usually go to the gym on 2 of the running days to do more arm and abs, I find it hard to run with sore legs from too much weight the night before, I am trying to balance it all! It is so hard, the gym and eating is like a mini job!

I love that you are a coffee head!!! What do you put in your coffee? Doing atkins I used half and half, now watching the fat, I am using skim half and half, I hate that it has corn syrup in it, regular skim is so blah in coffee!!!

Have a good day!!!!

Hugs
Amber
Old 07-26-2011, 07:28 AM   #248

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
what do you do in interval training that takes 90min?????

Definitely do not be affraid to add some carbs to your meals, especially well timed.. Energy to train burns more energy than dragging our butt.

our coach put leg training with intervals(20mi)n or less of sprints etc on the same day so tat the legs can rest.. Slow steady cardio might help but dont over do it..

Dont fall into the trap that more or longer exercise is better.. You cant exercise off the wt. Its diet deficit dependant. You'll just over train and burn out...
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:39 AM   #249

Quote:
I have been trying to run in a fasted state first thing in the morning I struggle to move, and cant quite go as far, maybe I need to try a little more carbs the evening before.

Yes, that would be a good idea. Esp if you train after work, then let your post w/o meal have a decent supply of complex carbs. See if that helps. Cardio in a fasted state is best left for steady state and/or lower intensity cardio, as opposed to running or HIIT. So it may be that you'll need a small complex carb or energy supp BEFORE your morning runs if you see your energy continuing to lag.

What is DOMS?

Delayed Onset of Muscle Soreness -- soreness from weight training that manifests in a delayed manner, usu the next day or two.

I am having my trainer kick up the interval training, trying to get in 3- 90 minute sessions with her a week, since she pushes me further than I think I can go!!! Then running 3 times a week, and usually a spin class on Saturdays, I am trying to schedule one rest day. I usually go to the gym on 2 of the running days to do more arm and abs, I find it hard to run with sore legs from too much weight the night before, I am trying to balance it all! It is so hard, the gym and eating is like a mini job!

Ditto to what Ileen has mentioned. It's best to let solid, balanced, adequate nutrition help you toward your goals, rather than more and more exercise and training. Don't feel bad. I'm guilty of that myself. :blush: In my case, it's as much an addiction as it is mitigation-oriented. If you push too hard, it will come back to bite you. Pace your workouts, balance them with good nutrition.

I love that you are a coffee head!!! What do you put in your coffee? Doing atkins I used half and half, now watching the fat, I am using skim half and half, I hate that it has corn syrup in it, regular skim is so blah in coffee!!!

Coffee -- YES. My vice. Better known as "JavaDiva." My other? Red wine. Can't (won't) give either of them up. Life is too short.

Have a good day!!!!

Hugs
Amber

I hope you have a great day too...you seem to have that mastered...
Old 07-26-2011, 09:56 AM   #250
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
Hey Twyla!

Just popping by to get an update on you, hon. Good to see that things are going well for you.
Firm Hottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:15 AM   #251

Quote:

“Be still when you have nothing to say;
when genuine passion moves you,
say what you've got to say,
and say it hot.”

D. H. Lawrence

I find this explanation on water retention to be extremely helpful and insightful; thus I add it to my journal:

Quote:
HOW TO DEAL WITH WATER RETENTION

– Martin Berkhan, LeanGains Blog

In an ideal world, weight loss would be perfectly linear.

You'd lose weight in a predictable manner, seeing small but consistent changes each passing day. But this is rarely the case, which my experience has proven me many times over.

If you've ever been on a diet and tracked your progress with the scale or the mirror, you're probably familiar with water retention and long weight loss plateaus. Even though your diet is on point, nothing seems to be happening.

Stalling at the same scale weight for weeks is not unheard of - I've experienced it myself. Fortunately, these phases are followed by rapid weight loss seemingly over night. This delayed weight loss is often referred to as the "whoosh"-effect. Nothing for weeks...and then whoosh, 2-4 lbs lost over night. What triggers a whoosh? No one knows, but Lyle McDonald offered a hypothesis based on something his old exercise physiology professor said.

So what's the big deal here? The issue with water retention is the frustration it brings while waiting for the whoosh.

Waking up every morning to see no progress on the scale can have profound effects on your motivation to maintain your diet and training regimen. Why put in all this effort when nothing is happening? Doubt creeps up. Maybe you're eating too much? Maybe you're not doing enough cardio, maybe your carb intake is too high? So you cut calories and increase cardio in the hopes that it will get the scale moving down again. If we're talking water retention (and not an actual stall), this has the potential to actually worsen the situation. Dumbfounded you watch as your weight creeps up even higher despite your ambitious attempts to set things right.

So at times like these, it's no wonder that people are likely to say "screw this ****" and go off their diet for a day. Or two. Or a week. In the worst case it triggers a binge that sets them back several days or weeks. Not good.

Given the negative impact of water retention on your morale, knowing the causes for water retention, and how to deal with it, can be very useful when you find yourself in this situation.
Water retention, what is it?

Water retention (or edema which is the term used by the medical establishment) is a common, concrete phenomenon that occurs during calorie restriction. It's not just some trivial vanity issue unique to the fitness crowd.

The magnitude of water retention varies; most often it's mild, but enough to obscure your fat loss results on a short-term basis. Sometimes it's more prominent, giving you the impression that nothing is happening for weeks. More severe types of water retention are a common characteristic of malnutrition and life-threatening starvation; it can be so extreme that people will appear to lose no weight at all, as greater amounts of fluids accumulate under the skin. Jewish doctors often observed this phenomenon in the Warsaw ghettos during World War 2.

Water retention can take many forms, such as swollen watery tissue or as an accumulation of fluids in the stomach, chest, lower body and in between joints. You might notice it in the form of fat that feels "squishy" or in the form of red stretch marks when waking up in the morning. You can also notice it on your ankles when taking your socks off in the evening; the pressure from the socks leaves an indentation, which might be barely noticeable (no water retention) or big enough to fit half of your thumb in (an extreme example as told to me by a competitor after three days of post-competition binging and gaining 35 lbs). The latter is called pitting edema.

During starvation, inadequate nutrition depresses the pumping mechanisms within the cell that keeps excess salt and water out. The cell deteriorates and the distinction between in and out is lost. However, for the average Joe out there, water retention is more often related to daily shifts in water and salt intake.

In the Minnesota Experiment during World War 2, men willingly embarked on a semi-starvation-like regimen designed by Dr Ancel Keys. Yes, that's the same Keys who "discovered" a connection between saturated fat and cardiovascular disease - a controversial figure. But I digress. The objective of this study was to observe the effects of semi-starvation and to establish guidelines for properly refeeding war prisoners (this is critical, since refeeding victims of starvation can lead to cardiac arrest due to massive mineral and electrolyte fluctuations). His findings were later published.

A lot can be written about this fascinating experiment, but at this point I want to highlight some curious happenings related to the topic at hand. First of all, this wasn't quite starvation per se. The men were getting 1500-1800 kcal per day, while engaging in moderate amounts of daily activity, and that's not too far off from the usual diet fare today. The main difference being that this was done in a controlled setting lasting six months, which is longer than most people would endure a dieting stint.

At the start of the study, the men were losing weight linearly, dropping about 2 lbs per week. However, after some time the weight loss became erratic and unpredictable. No longer was it linear, but rather it occurred in "bursts" with long periods of plateaus. The researchers overseeing the experiment noted that water retention was noticeable in most men and in some cases quite severe.

Half-way through the study the men were allowed a relief dinner to celebrate their progress. One big meal of 2300 kcal was served; roasted chicken, potatoes, gravy and strawberry shortcake. That night everyone got up more often than usual to urinate. The next day they discovered that they had each lost several pounds.

This was not a one-time occurrence. When the experiment was over and the refeeding phase began, the men continued to drop weight at an accelerated rate until calories were increased substantially.

What I want you to take away from this is the following:

* Refeeding can cause rapid weight loss, a whoosh. This seems counter intuitive, but it's a phenomenon observed in the scientific literature and retold by many dieters. My clients experience this, and so do people embarking on diet regimens where planned carb refeeds are integral parts of the plan

* In my experience, the more severe and rigorous the diet, the higher the likelihood of retaining water. In simple terms, higher calorie deficits usually result in more erratic, non-linear weight loss. This is not a proven fact, but rather a hypothesis based on what I have observed throughout the years - and it has some backing if we look at the weight loss curve observed in starvation and studies like The Minnesota Experiment.

* The hypothesis has credibility if we look at the hormonal response to starvation diets. "Starvation diets" in this context simply mean any diet approach that results in a very high weekly caloric deficit created through diet and/or exercise. This is perceived as a significant stress to the body, to which it responds with chronically raised levels of cortisol. Some cortisol is great, but too much of it is very bad; and studies suggest that cortisol increases in a dose-dependent manner related to the calorie deficit. Prolonged elevations of cortisol can lead to massive water retention. If you've ever been treated with hydrocortisone, a pharmaceutical form of cortisol, you know what I mean.

* The above makes me wonder if the myth of "starvation mode" is actually perpetuated by extreme dieters who find themselves not losing any weight on starvation-level caloric intake (due to severe water retention obscuring weight loss). While some metabolic slowdown occurs during any diet, it's never so profound that it completely negates a substantial calorie deficit. For example, during The Minnesota Experiment the researchers noted a 15-20% reduction in basal metabolic rate at the end of the study (it was actually 40% compared to the start of the study, but this was due to a higher body weight; a large percentage of the drop could be explained by the simple fact that they weighed less and not due to any hormonal impact).
Old 07-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #252

erik has shared lyles water explanation with the 'crew' a few times as a reminder.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #253

The 90 minute interval training is usually 3 minutes on elliptical at level 12 then she has be do a machine usually 3 sets of 15 reps, then back to the elliptical, we have 3 different ones so she mixes it up, some have shorter strides, some more uphill, etc, usually 30 minutes total of that, then in the other hour, 30 minutes of various machines, free weights etc usually a mix of legs and arms, and at least 15 minutes of excruciating ab exercises she never seems to run out of new ones, then at the end, 15 minutes of planks, and some stretching, and the time goes really fast. As I say she sits up at night thinking of more and more humiliating positions to put me in, but I love her cause she pushes me--- some stuff I would not do on my own, so I am using her until October, plus we have become good friends too. Now tonight I have to run 2 miles since I am having leg surgery tomorrow and am restricted from running not sure what else yet. So I told her tonight I want heavy on the arms and not too bad on the legs, or I can't run. She will probably do some pilates stuff instead of cardio, she says I am uncoordinated and she thinks that will help, LOL

Water retention
' Refeeding can cause rapid weight loss, a whoosh.' I think that was what happened on Monday although not a good refeed I had defiantly upped my calories with poor eating over the weekend, today I was .4 higher so not bad, I was sure it would come screaming back!

You girls are so smart!!!
Old 07-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #254

i wouldnt train heavy legs if you are having leg surgery.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:34 PM   #255

Ileen- I wanted to say you look amazing and 5 kids? My word!!!! Those abs are smoking!

I went to the track after my 90 minute session and I cannot run now, I swear I don't know what is going on, I was up to 2 miles 2 weeks ago and the last 2 weeks I have been backsliding, so I am going to be laid up a bit with this surgery and then back to C25K, I came home and cried, this race is coming and I have to be ready, ughghg so frustrating!!! It's like my legs dont want to move, Tony says maybe I shouldnt run after the gym, I tried running fasted that didnt work, maybe back to evenings if this heat ever subsides, ughghg Maybe I will start on week 6 or something and go from there?

Twyla- hope you had a good day!!!!
Old 07-27-2011, 02:25 AM   #256

Quote:
I went to the track after my 90 minute session and I cannot run now, I swear I don't know what is going on, I was up to 2 miles 2 weeks ago and the last 2 weeks I have been backsliding, so I am going to be laid up a bit with this surgery and then back to C25K, I came home and cried, this race is coming and I have to be ready, ughghg so frustrating!!! It's like my legs dont want to move, Tony says maybe I shouldnt run after the gym, I tried running fasted that didnt work, maybe back to evenings if this heat ever subsides, ughghg Maybe I will start on week 6 or something and go from there?

Twyla- hope you had a good day!!!!
Amber, you should not be running at the track on your training days. I NEVER run on training days. Okay, I won't say never -- "never say never"-- but the times I have, it's usu been very light, short intervals with walking. It's best to save your running for off training days.

It's likely that your body is so depleted from the training (training depletes us faster than cardio) that there is not fuel/energy left for your running, thus you crash and burn. With all the training you are doing, even running fasted "the next morning" may be challenging. Again, running fasted should be reserved for those who are veterans at running. I would think about having a light snack of complex cars, or half of an energy bar, etc.

Oats always did it for me when I first began C25k, I'd have just a small amount 30 mins before, made a huge difference. Or sometimes I'd have half of a Low Sugar Detour bar with coffee. Big difference. You are running for ENDURANCE, not for HIIT training. With endurance training, esp in the beginning stages, you are going to need fuel in the tank. And if you force yourself and begin overtraining, you will set yourself up for injury and burnout and setbacks.

You've come such a long way and have accomplished so much. One thing that you have proven is that YOU ARE NOT LAZY. When you commit to something, you don't back down or make excuses, you COMMIT. That is SO admirable, and you need to give yourself applause for that, be proud of that, and don't for one minute let DEFEAT enter your mind. You are not defeated. You will do fine at the race. But you HAVE to give your body the rest and attention (fuel) it needs. Rest and fuel. Rest and fuel. You want that engine running at its best potential, and that can't happen without proper maintenance and care.

I hope all goes well with your surgery and healing, and that you can get back on the road to your fitness goals soon.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 07-27-2011 at 02:26 AM..
Old 07-27-2011, 05:00 AM   #257

Thank you Amber! I've had a blast with my journey.. Coach is truely great.

Im with Twyla hun. You're doing to much on one day... The way your current program is setting up is a lot!! 90min.. oy!! That has to be very draining and on LC.. goodness , i'd had fallen flat on my face! i get a lot more carbs than you and i'd still need a refeed...You dont need to be running on those days at all!
If that was only say an hr, without the treadmill stuff, then i'd say you can try to run.

REST and then perhaps try the running on a rest day.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:43 AM   #258

Because I love this song ---
I happened to hear it this morning on my warmup walk before heading to the gym.
I hadn't listened to it in a while.

So beautiful.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:11 AM   #259

love that song T.. I have her album on my list/phone too.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:28 PM   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
love that song T.. I have her album on my list/phone too.
Ahhh, we share our admiration for her. Great voice -- spirited, depth, versatile, classy, passonate! And yes, an awesome album, that one.

(There I go again, getting "worked up" on my music fettish! )
Old 07-27-2011, 03:33 PM   #261

Quick update, then out the door...more to follow when time allows.

Mon - Tues low days -- Callanetics and cardio

Wed - med carb and higher cals (not refeed levels); warmup cardio brisk walking (18 mins) followed by 35 mins delts/core token tricep training.

The "gym guy" was late this morning......so I had to jog down the highway a bit waiting for him to open the place. I wasn't gonna waste time sitting on my ass in the car!

Good --- NO, GREAT -- energy today. I've listened to my body last 2-3 days and eased up, rested more, careful nutrition.

Gotta head out. May run tonight for about 20 mins .... just because it's less humidity and it's been a while and I MISS IT.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #262

Twyla- what is your cardio, like on your low days?

"It's not about being perfect but rather being persistent...

I love that!!! So true!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the well wishes now to get this behind me and keep on moving forward!
Old 07-28-2011, 02:30 AM   #263

Quote:
Twyla- what is your cardio, like on your low days?

"It's not about being perfect but rather being persistent...

I love that!!! So true!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the well wishes now to get this behind me and keep on moving forward!

Amber, I try to mix my cardio up and not do the same thing every day. My morning fasted cardio is MOSTLY brisk walking outside, OR, steady state on the elliptical inside. Or sometimes I'll do Hip Hop Abs (Shaun T) Cardio workout, lasts about 30 mins, and it's mostly just hip-hop dancing cardio, great music, fun to do. And I love doing Turbo Jam's Cardio Party (Chalene Johnson), but it is rather intense and it's not easy to do fasted, but I will every now and then just because it's so much fun, kickboxing, good music, etc. And of course, my favorite---running, or jogging, or a mix of both.

When I'm not fasted I love doing running intervals, mixed with short sprints, jogging intervals and brisk walking. I can do it fasted, but I prefer not to unless it's on a high carb day or a refeed day, knowing that I'll later make up for it with a surplus of carbs. I sort of like to think ahead. I can figure that if I do too much interval running fasted, (not such a great idea) it's gonna affect my training workouts that follow and will eventually catch up with me as well as negate the work that I do in the gym.

Fasted is something I like to reserve for low intensity steady state cardio (usu walking or low-level elliptical) -- i.e., low days.

Yes, glad you've made it through and hope you have a speedy recovery.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 07-28-2011 at 02:31 AM..
Old 07-28-2011, 02:38 AM   #264

The humidity seemed to have intensified last night by the time I got home. I was already thinking of post-poning my run till today. And then I ended up needing to do some things for my sons anyway, and it was probably just as well that I let my body rest and go to bed relaxed.

It was a very good day hitting my targets and enjoying my returned sense of wellbeing and energy. It being a training day, I was shooting for 1800 for cals, so I ended up a little low, but I wanted to cut off eating at 7 pm. By that time, I had eaten all that I cared to eat -- feeling rather full. So it is what it is.

CALS ..... 1680
PROT........172
CARBS......110
FIBER.........19
FAT............65
Old 07-28-2011, 02:59 AM   #265

Maybe some weekend morning I will try the walking in a fasted state versus running, I think being new to running and still struggling it is not the best!!!! I heard that hip hop abs was really good! Is he the guy that does Insanity? My trainer does Insanity every night at home, I think that is where she gets the crazy stuff for me to do, LOL I dont like eating after a certain point either, I made it a habit to not eat after dinner sometimes if I am really hungry I will make a shake but that is it, had to stop the munching that went on.

Have a good day Twyla!!!!
Old 07-28-2011, 05:13 AM   #266
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LCinSC
Stats: 314/274.5/180 6'0"
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 6/1/2011 at 282 lbs
I just have a minute to pop on. I love the time management quote you posted.

Hope you are having a great day! I'll be back to catch up more later.
LCinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:49 AM   #267
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Balance101
Stats: 207/197/140
WOE: hHcg
Start Date: 10/7/13
Good Morning Sunshine!

Hey Twyla! Just catching up on your journal. I love the way you went for a run rather than "sit on your ass in the car" while you waited for the guy to open the gym. Made me smile. Also love that article on water retention! Enjoy your day!
Balance101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:22 AM   #268

Quote:
Maybe some weekend morning I will try the walking in a fasted state versus running, I think being new to running and still struggling it is not the best!!!! I heard that hip hop abs was really good! Is he the guy that does Insanity? My trainer does Insanity every night at home, I think that is where she gets the crazy stuff for me to do, LOL I dont like eating after a certain point either, I made it a habit to not eat after dinner sometimes if I am really hungry I will make a shake but that is it, had to stop the munching that went on.

Have a good day Twyla!!!!
Yes, Amber, wait the running fasted thing out. I'll dig out the "science" behind low intensity fasted cardio. It will reinforce your decision to work those brisk walks in now and then -- once you're given the green light, OF COURSE.

And YES, Shaun T, he's the guru for Insanity. He's a doll -- so cute, and very infectious laughter and personality that makes the workouts fun on those HipHop Abs series. I have not viewed Insanity, but I've heard the "war stories." And yes, your trainer is likely just passing those on TO YOU, testing "your stuff," seein' what you're made of, girl! And I'm thinking she probably sees you as quite a challenge/project! Atta girl.

Late night munchies. Ugh. They can happen to the best of us. They're worse for me on weekends, obviously. Sometimes if I'm at my limit on cals a decaf green tea or Crystal Lite lemonade helps me get through it too.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:29 AM   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCinSC View Post
I just have a minute to pop on. I love the time management quote you posted.

Hope you are having a great day! I'll be back to catch up more later.
Stephanie, that article is just one of MANY from Men's Health. Such a cool magazine, that even "I" love reading it. The Women's Health is a great one too. I was sitting in a dealership yesterday after work in their waiting room while getting my oil changed, and they had an issue of Women's Health. I was fixated -- good reading! Between that and watching Chris Farley's skit of "Down by the River" from a re-run of Saturday Night Live (---laughed my BUTT off ... he's a riot!) the time passed by SO QUICKLY.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:32 AM   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance101 View Post
Good Morning Sunshine!

Hey Twyla! Just catching up on your journal. I love the way you went for a run rather than "sit on your ass in the car" while you waited for the guy to open the gym. Made me smile. Also love that article on water retention! Enjoy your day!
And Corey, I love that image you've posted....All.About.Balance. Yeah, baby. Got that right.

And yes, my morning workout time is too precious to waste. I don't get up at 5:00 o'clock every morning to "sit," that's for d--- sure. Make every minute count.