Old 07-12-2011, 03:16 PM   #181
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post

Im following your new IF journey!..

I have refeeds, much like your strategic carb rotation.. my Friend marianne calls them natural disasters lol..

Glad you were able to find some power! Technology cant do with, cant do without!
Okay...follow along, my friend. And I'd like to know about your refeeds too. Are they once a week? Less often? More often? Just curious.

I plan to have occasional refeeds with my LGIF'g plan. I will let my progress and my bodily signals dictate when I need them.

When I was first introduced to the refeed concept/tool (early 2008), mine were once a week, with low carbs/cals all other days. I know that you are a moderate-carb gal, so I'm sure yours are different. Do share. Lots of ways to "skin a cat," as they say in the south.

The biggest inpetus for the IF thang is to get better control over insulin response and hormonal swings. I follow the blog(s) and I've read extensively on the subject and learned a lot about the science behind the theory of combining this with the training and balanced/targeted nutrition and macrunutrients. The before/after pics of those who have had success are rather amazing. Talk about RECOMP. Mercy. Thus the term: LEANGains.

Stay tuned, girlfriend. I'll welcome your support. Always have.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 07-12-2011 at 03:18 PM..
WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2011, 03:34 PM   #182

Old 07-13-2011, 02:24 AM   #183

Updates for Tuesday:

Nutrition totals:

CALS....1873
PROT.....197
CARBS....112
FIBER.......18
FAT........71

I ended up being a tad over on cals and fat. Oh, well. Close enough. I put in a good workout yesterday, so likely used it all.

Next three days, back to low carb and low cal. Although I was planning to have dinner Thursday night with friends at a local restaurant that offers live jazz on Thursday nights, and I'm hoping that doesn't mess up my targets. I can try to extend my fast window a bit on that day and just eat very light until dinner. We'll see. It's difficult to track nutrition when eating out.

Today will be all cardio. Shooting for 45 mins this morning, fasted. 15 later in the day.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:04 AM   #184

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
Okay...follow along, my friend. And I'd like to know about your refeeds too. Are they once a week? Less often? More often? Just curious.

I plan to have occasional refeeds with my LGIF'g plan. I will let my progress and my bodily signals dictate when I need them.

When I was first introduced to the refeed concept/tool (early 2008), mine were once a week, with low carbs/cals all other days. I know that you are a moderate-carb gal, so I'm sure yours are different. Do share. Lots of ways to "skin a cat," as they say in the south.

ya definitely different ways for sure! Providing you (NOT YOU, but general masses) dont do stupid stuff like 45-1hr of cardio a day.. and then DOUBLE ON LC and LOW cals... that like some stupid but popular coaches out there, most things can work.. well that works too but can you say REBOUND!!!!!!!!! SO not worth it!

My refeeds used to be as you said, low cals, lower carbs but not this yr.. They are currently about once a week but sometimes i stretch it to two because I think the amt is too high/likely need to have them scaled back but havent written to coach to adjust them.. Im comfortable maintaining and playing with the amts. Gained a bit, it settles, play again lol... My goal this yr is not RIPT.. Not going there anymore.

My carbs arent that low and neither are my cals arent that low either currently about body wt x 12.. my program has a LOT of volume. NO cardio but have two metabolic workouts(sometimes a 3rd) that kick my hiney!

Quote:
The biggest inpetus for the IF thang is to get better control over insulin response and hormonal swings. I follow the blog(s) and I've read extensively on the subject and learned a lot about the science behind the theory of combining this with the training and balanced/targeted nutrition and macrunutrients. The before/after pics of those who have had success are rather amazing. Talk about RECOMP. Mercy. Thus the term: LEANGains.

Stay tuned, girlfriend. I'll welcome your support. Always have.
Im not sure that i 'get' that I.F is any 'better' than anything else.. It just seems people are more comfortable sticking to/can be more compliant (HUGE goal!) it given they can eat a lot more food in a shorter time and can go xx time without eating.
cals are cals no matter when you eat them.. If my last meal is at 7pm the night before and i dont eat till 10 or so next day, im in essences doing the same thing? I normally do wait to eat but i dont train early am anymore..
I find it easier to wait to eat and then eat larger meals but I havent found it has done anything special to help with fat loss other than a fuller tummy for this bottomless pit.

Do you train on empty or use BCAA?

Last edited by inatic; 07-13-2011 at 04:05 AM..
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:14 AM   #185

Quote:
ya definitely different ways for sure! Providing you (NOT YOU, but general masses) dont do stupid stuff like 45-1hr of cardio a day.. and then DOUBLE ON LC and LOW cals... that like some stupid but popular coaches out there, most things can work.. well that works too but can you say REBOUND!!!!!!!!! SO not worth it!
Rebound indeed. Too much, too little, too late. The overkill on cardio is such a waste of time. And although women are more guilty of this than men, ironically I see men at my gym who do it too. This one guy comes in often when I'm there, and his entire time is spent on ONE cardio machine. Then he goes home...

My refeeds used to be as you said, low cals, lower carbs but not this yr.. They are currently about once a week but sometimes i stretch it to two because I think the amt is too high/likely need to have them scaled back but havent written to coach to adjust them.. Im comfortable maintaining and playing with the amts. Gained a bit, it settles, play again lol... My goal this yr is not RIPT.. Not going there anymore.

I think we have to be flexible with our tweaks to our macronutrients, esp carbs. Sometimes we need more, sometimes less. As for getting "RIPT," at my gym, those final weeks of prep for competitors translates into fewer and fewer carbs. There is one young man competing in August. He weighs 165, and his high carb days are a maximum of 100 carbs, and that will continue to taper as he gets closer. It's all depends on what a person is trying to accomplish, I suppose. You say you're "not going there anymore," it makes me curious. Elaborate on that?

My carbs arent that low and neither are my cals arent that low either currently about body wt x 12.. my program has a LOT of volume. NO cardio but have two metabolic workouts(sometimes a 3rd) that kick my hiney!

On the calories, agreed, that severe calorie restriction may work temporarily but it usually backfires in terms of long-term weight loss. That's why my cal cycling is tricky. I try not to make the deficit too big on my low days. And yes, I've switched to more metabolic workouts lately to try to up the fat burn and just maintain muscle, esp in lower body. This is why I NEED the extra cardio. You've heard this song before...my legs pack it on in a flash. Metabolic workouts for LB and the cardio help to keep them leaner.

Im not sure that i 'get' that I.F is any 'better' than anything else.. It just seems people are more comfortable sticking to/can be more compliant (HUGE goal!) it given they can eat a lot more food in a shorter time and can go xx time without eating.

I think the key benefit to the fasting is that it helps to improve glucose tolerance and decreases insulin resistance. Cals are cals are cals. I agree.

Because of my work schedule, it's easier for me to get my workouts in first thing in the a.m. (cooler then too in the summer) and then by day's end when I'm wiped out I don't have to worry about finding extra energy to work out. Plus, training fasted is instrumental to this whole LGIF theory too, provided that you take in BCAA's. And yes, I always take in 10 g of BCAA's prior to early morning training (not cardio), which increases anabolic response and avoids the tendency for increased protein breakdown. There are actually benefits to the fasting in terms of increased mental focus and strength gains as well. Many people have reported needing less sleep since embarking on this lifestyle, and I had gotten to that point as well, right before my surgery. I seemed to need less sleep after the first few weeks. Just a sense of energy, a clarity...It's all fascinating to me.

I try to be mindful of "feeding the machine" on training days, esp since I train fasted and my first meal isn't for a few hours afterward -- contrary to everything I've been taught up until now. I don't have this nailed; I'm still learning as I go. Unfortunately there are not a lot of "older women" who are practicing LGIF, at least based on my research, so I'm having to learn as I go, tweak as I go, listen carefully to my body and the way it responds, etc. The majority of what I've read so far from other blogs and forums dedicated to this subject involve young men and women (mostly men), from teens up through early 30's on avg (some exceptions), and obviously their needs and results will differ from my own.

Nutrition is so key and so relevant to maximizing results with this way of eating and training. I'm just keep working at it and see where it takes me.

We never know what we're capable of until we try something. I've been guilty of selling myself short on my own capabilities as well...as has been said, "It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not..." I used to b*tch about fasted cardio, felt it was not something I could do regularly, just too much of a sacrifice not having a snack before any sort of exercise. I had mistakenly made up my mind before giving myself a chance. I proved myself wrong.

Thankfully everything I've learned in the last couple of years has primed my ability to be more open-minded to maximizing my potential. I am eternally grateful for those lessons and all the knowledge I've gained as a result.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:21 AM   #186

Quote:
I suppose. You say you're "not going there anymore," it makes me curious. Elaborate on that?
Just choose not to get as lean as i've taken it down before. The body cant take the ups and downs, especially as we get older and our hormones change.(down side of aging, boo!!)
My goal is to try and hold it about where im at maybe wee bit lower but Im not willing to bust my bum to get their..

Acceptance.

We have to grow, change and adapt as we go through this... its a lifestyle, not a diet. Physique interests places too much focus on the goal (for some) and not enough on the process...Hense why finding my comfy place, be happy with my body and image and stay there is the current thought..

Some of my training ideas and principles have changed over the yrs as well.(Ever read any of S. Abel's stuff? ) Im happy to not have stepped foot on a treadmill this yr. The majority of Erik's clients havent done any cardio this yr either.. They are winning comps or placing really well. Coach has uses ab/core circuits and metabolic circuits (wts/body) so its nice to have this fit nicely in my life too. More time for other things
Old 07-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #187

k..
so have been reading more on IF.
Im on the page of stubborn BF.

I think, i can incorporate some ab core circuits or maybe a nice am walk with the hubby and pup.

Last yrs and yrs prior i have done lyle's stubborn fat protocol cardio. Tried the Y/T and caff.. Do you use the supplements?

This is what im reading.. are you following these guidelines currently?
Quote:
Stubborn Fat Strategies

Here are a few strategies that you should consider implementing to target stubborn fat. Keep in mind that your diet needs to be in order first and foremost. You can't throw this into the mix and expect results if your diet is sub par.

1. Intermittent fasting. For the reasons I mentioned earlier.

2. Increase your activity level in the fasted state.
Add cardio or whatever else to get your energy expenditure up. A personal favorite of mine is lower intensity and longer duration activities like walking in the 12-16 hour time interval of the fast. Not only is this the "golden age" of subcutaneous fat oxidation, but lower intensity activities selectively use fatty acids to fuel the activity. There are other reasons I favor low intensity over high intensity activities (such as HIIT). They interfere minimally with your performance in the gym and can be done on a daily basis, which is not the case with HIIT.

3. Supplementation
<SNIPPED>

4. Fasted Weight Training. Heavy weight training jacks up catecholamines very high and heavy training in the fasted state creates the most powerful response. Heavy training and fasting are both stressors to which the body responds with increased catecholamine output; in combination it seems the effect is synergistic. How can we combine everything mentioned up to this point and heavy weight training to facilitate stubborn fat loss? Like I've said in the past, I'm not a fan of using weight training as a means to create a calorie deficit. I also do not recommend training completely fasted, since that would be highly counterproductive to the anabolic response. But I've found a way around all this.

Protocol needed: Fasted Training (see the Leangains Guide for details).

5. Carb refeeds. Refeeding on high carb meals, with a low fat content, will boost leptin and kick up hormonal output and metabolic rate a notch. It may sound counter intuitive for those not familiar with this concept, but it may in fact be just what you need to get past a fat loss plateau, or to see fat loss in stubborn areas. Much can be written about this, but Mark Sisson recently wrote an easy layman's guide to carb refeeds that you might want to check out if you need a quick summary of the benefits.

If you follow my approach, as I've laid out in the Leangains Guide, you will refeed after every weight training-session.

Keep it simple

As a final note, keep in mind that none of the above mentioned strategies are essential in order to get to your desired level of leanness, assuming that entails a ripped six-pack. I've gotten myself and several clients very lean without supplementation, cardio, and with fed state training.

In the end, getting rid of stubborn fat comes down to patience. There's no "quick fix" solution. Only various strategies that may present some hard-to-define benefits in theory.

When determining what strategies you can use (and this goes for any diet), first look at what you can implement into your daily routine with a minimum of added effort. Don't go out of your way to find advanced strategies that increase the perceived challenge of your diet. That's always a recipe for failure in the long term.

Last edited by inatic; 07-13-2011 at 04:29 PM..
Old 07-13-2011, 04:38 PM   #188

Meals.

do you eat the amts/ratios he suggests? 4meals. most pwo? smaller as the day goes on?
Old 07-14-2011, 02:11 AM   #189

Quote:
Just choose not to get as lean as i've taken it down before. The body cant take the ups and downs, especially as we get older and our hormones change.(down side of aging, boo!!)
My goal is to try and hold it about where im at maybe wee bit lower but Im not willing to bust my bum to get their..

Acceptance.

We have to grow, change and adapt as we go through this... its a lifestyle, not a diet. Physique interests places too much focus on the goal (for some) and not enough on the process...Hense why finding my comfy place, be happy with my body and image and stay there is the current thought..

Some of my training ideas and principles have changed over the yrs as well.(Ever read any of S. Abel's stuff? ) Im happy to not have stepped foot on a treadmill this yr. The majority of Erik's clients havent done any cardio this yr either.. They are winning comps or placing really well. Coach has uses ab/core circuits and metabolic circuits (wts/body) so its nice to have this fit nicely in my life too. More time for other things
Your goals and reasonings behind them make perfect sense to me. I agree that ups and downs are tough on us, esp as we grow older.

No, I haven't read S. Abel... But you're fortunate that you're one of the lucky ones who can do w/o cardio. On the other hand, although I'm one who needs the combo of cardio and lifting, I'm blessed that I actually ENJOY cardio. I really enjoy brisk walks and I became addicted to running when I was introduced t C25k. I guess cardio is something you can do pretty much anywhere when you just feel the need to get your blood moving.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:22 AM   #190

Quote:
k..
so have been reading more on IF.
Im on the page of stubborn BF.

I think, i can incorporate some ab core circuits or maybe a nice am walk with the hubby and pup.

Last yrs and yrs prior i have done lyle's stubborn fat protocol cardio. Tried the Y/T and caff.. Do you use the supplements?
I have not used those two supps YET. (They're in my gray matter arsenal, however.)

Quote:
This is what im reading.. are you following these guidelines currently?
1. Intermittent fasting.

Yes.

2. Increase your activity level in the fasted state. Add cardio or whatever else to get your energy expenditure up. A personal favorite of mine is lower intensity and longer duration activities like walking in the 12-16 hour time interval of the fast. Not only is this the "golden age" of subcutaneous fat oxidation, but lower intensity activities selectively use fatty acids to fuel the activity. There are other reasons I favor low intensity over high intensity activities (such as HIIT). They interfere minimally with your performance in the gym and can be done on a daily basis, which is not the case with HIIT.

Yes, but trying to hit closer to the "golden age" time of 12-16 hrs, no. I don't have that luxury since I work during the day. But I do do regular fasted cardio several days a week, and yes, I train fasted -- with the exception of the BCAA supps.

3. Supplementation (BCAAs only for now)

4. Fasted Weight Training. Protocol needed: Fasted Training (see the Leangains Guide for details).

Yes. As I mentioned.

5. Carb refeeds. Refeeding on high carb meals, with a low fat content, will boost leptin and kick up hormonal output and metabolic rate a notch. It may sound counter intuitive for those not familiar with this concept, but it may in fact be just what you need to get past a fat loss plateau, or to see fat loss in stubborn areas.

I AM familiar with this concept and I agree with it. I had had a couple when I first began, before surgery. Then I stopped LGIF for a while since I couldn't train, and since getting back on it strictly, I haven't had a full-blown refeed yet. I'll know if/when I need one. But I am playing with my meals, how many cals/carbs following my workout (biggest meal) to see what my body will respond most favorably to.

Keep it simple

As a final note, keep in mind that none of the above mentioned strategies are essential in order to get to your desired level of leanness, assuming that entails a ripped six-pack. I've gotten myself and several clients very lean without supplementation, cardio, and with fed state training.

That's where I'm beginning...complexity hasn't been essential yet.

Good reading, huh?

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 07-14-2011 at 02:23 AM..
Old 07-14-2011, 02:27 AM   #191

Quote:
do you eat the amts/ratios he suggests? 4meals. most pwo? smaller as the day goes on?
Yes, pretty much. Protein is always high. HIgher carbs/cals on training days, lower on cardio or rest days. Biggest meal post w/o, tapering as the day goes on.

I've tried his infamous 'FLUFF,' and it's REALLY good. I've played with it to get it right. Hits the sweet spot...he apparently has a sweet tooth too, from all that I've read.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:36 AM   #192

Updating Wednesday:

Very busy day yesterday, all day.

As I was driving home last night, the sky took my breath away, a stunning canvas of navy and denim patches of clouds against the backdrop of the fading final light of day…My God It Was Beautiful! Twilight once again…Had I had the time to spare, I would have found a place to pull over and just simply watch…a spectacular show celebrating a farewell to the day, the passing of time, magnified in grand displays of color and imagery.

The day was a very successfully targeted day at keeping it both low cal and low carb. I found it interesting that my hunger had lessened quite a bit today from days past. It appears that my body is adapting bit by bit to this newfound rhythm, pacified by constants and watchfulness. In fact, by 5:00 pm, I had only had 800 cals for the entire day, and I wasn’t hungry. I kept waiting for my hunger to hit. It never really did. I ate my final meal anyway, trying to get it in before 7:00. I wanted to attempt an 8-hour feeding window and a longer fasting period tomorrow. I will be training Thurs morning, go easy on my meals throughout the day, and then enjoy dinner & jazz late evening. And wine. Of course, wine.

Wednesday's exercise – 45 mins fasted s/s cardio a.m. (short, slow jogging intervals at times combined with a very brisk walk); 15 mins ellip after work. Busy evening for the remainder.

Nutrition:

CALS…….1106 (!) (I kept looking at this, thinking, this has gotta be a mistake)
PROT…….121
CARBS……39
FIBER………6
FAT………..52

On tap for today (Thurs): Increased cals and carbs; fasted training a.m.

VERY ENCOURAGING RESULTS THIS WEEK.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 07-14-2011 at 02:39 AM..
Old 07-14-2011, 03:48 AM   #193

Quote:
Your goals and reasonings behind them make perfect sense to me. I agree that ups and downs are tough on us, esp as we grow older.

No, I haven't read S. Abel... But you're fortunate that you're one of the lucky ones who can do w/o cardio. On the other hand, although I'm one who needs the combo of cardio and lifting, I'm blessed that I actually ENJOY cardio. I really enjoy brisk walks and I became addicted to running when I was introduced t C25k. I guess cardio is something you can do pretty much anywhere when you just feel the need to get your blood moving.
the metabolic workouts and ab core circiuts replace tradional cardio.. its just done with body wt/light wts or bands., intense though.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:54 AM   #194

Quote:
Yes, pretty much. Protein is always high. HIgher carbs/cals on training days, lower on cardio or rest days. Biggest meal post w/o, tapering as the day goes on.
this is already pretty much what i do.. protein always constant, carbs higher on training days, lower on non, but that cals dont move too much though..

Quote:
I've tried his infamous 'FLUFF,' and it's REALLY good. I've played with it to get it right. Hits the sweet spot...he apparently has a sweet tooth too, from all that I've read.
hehe.. he isnt the only one with a sweet tooth! I will have to google that.. dont think i came across it anywhere. The JC cheesecake he was raving about sounded good! LOL

When i did the stubborn fat protocol, i did try the Y/Tyrosine. Didnt do anything to me and not sure it made a difference one way or the other so the following yr, didnt use it.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:55 AM   #195

Enjoy your evening.. sounds nice and relaxing!
Old 07-14-2011, 08:13 AM   #196

Yes, the cheesecake...ohmygoodnessyes, the CHEESECAKE! Those pictures of it are definitely food porn.

The quasi-cardio thing you speak of...question: I understand it's high rep and lower weights, but you are still taxing/working that muscle, kwim? And if you're wanting a recovery day from the prior day's training, how is the recovery getting a fair shake? Does my Q make sense?
Old 07-14-2011, 08:50 AM   #197

Quote:
Yes, the cheesecake...ohmygoodnessyes, the CHEESECAKE! Those pictures of it are definitely food porn.

The quasi-cardio thing you speak of...question: I understand it's high rep and lower weights, but you are still taxing/working that muscle, kwim? And if you're wanting a recovery day from the prior day's training, how is the recovery getting a fair shake? Does my Q make sense?
I ooked up the fluff.. Needs casein and I dont have any.. Mostly dont use PP anymore but ocassionally at night as 'ice cream' I did played with my myofusion shake and it wouldnt whip but maybe in the kitchen aid which I was TOO LAZY to lug out from under the cubboard :blush:

I thought about giving it ago with cottage cheese? Wonder if that whips up. One LBF one gal shared to rinse drain the reg stuff and then it removes the salt to do as one pleased.. good idea. We buy unsalted for the hubby.

Re Training: yes its taxing in a cardio effect but light enough for the most part. Coach also takes that into consideration when building my metabolic workout in... Less volume on some stuff because i am incorporating it twice a week... The ab/core circuits could be done with little taxing on the muscle TOUGH on the system. SOme gals in 30min push the intensity and nearly
Let me find some examples for you.

This week, especially, the fatigue hit as coach allowed me (with huge warning) that the 3 metabolic workout might be too much. So i just backed off one of the optional days.

Im due for a rest/break from training and can feel it , even with my refeeds.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:04 AM   #198

Quote:
I ooked up the fluff.. Needs casein and I dont have any.. Mostly dont use PP anymore but ocassionally at night as 'ice cream' I did played with my myofusion shake and it wouldnt whip but maybe in the kitchen aid which I was TOO LAZY to lug out from under the cubboard :blush:

Yes, you need casein for the "right stuff for Fluff." I keep casein stocked MAINLY for this reason :blush: but it also makes the BEST legal pudding goin and comin' so it's standard inventory for me. I know you had said no PP for you anymore, but I enjoy it and it's convenient at times too. Myfusion is hands down the BEST tasting shake, the Delicious Vanilla. Bring It. I plan to buy some strawberry flavored casein (ON brand) so that I can make fluff with fresh berries added.

I thought about giving it ago with cottage cheese? Wonder if that whips up.

I tried that. Didn't work out so good. But I don't have a Kitchen Aid mixer, and that may be the trick.

One LBF one gal shared to rinse drain the reg stuff and then it removes the salt to do as one pleased.. good idea. We buy unsalted for the hubby.

Huh? Do what ... ?

Re Training: yes its taxing in a cardio effect but light enough for the most part. Coach also takes that into consideration when building my metabolic workout in... Less volume on some stuff because i am incorporating it twice a week... The ab/core circuits could be done with little taxing on the muscle TOUGH on the system. SOme gals in 30min push the intensity and nearly
Let me find some examples for you.

Examples. Yes. Please do.

This week, especially, the fatigue hit as coach allowed me (with huge warning) that the 3 metabolic workout might be too much. So i just backed off one of the optional days.
Im due for a rest/break from training and can feel it , even with my refeeds.
Good girl. You know your body well.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:15 AM   #199

ab/core circiut (cardio) and metabolic training..

k
alternate ones up (like burpees, high to low and low to high chops ) versus down like mountain climbers, reverse crunches, jack knives etc
vs one down like
abt 6 exercises in the circuit,
15+ reps/exercise,
rested for 60 seconds after the circuit
rinse repeat (try not to puke LOL) for 30 minutes.

here is an example from one member:
Burpees
Bicycles
Mountain Climbers
Reverse Crunches
Leg Overs (I think that's what they're called)
Full Sit-outs
Full Crunch on Stability Ball

THis is a turbulance training circuit from craig ballentyne. He posts TONS of this stuff..

These can replace HIIT (be mindful of leg training)
Quote:
"TT Bootcamp Workout #13 - TT 30-Minute Bootcamp 2K10"

Warm-up (20 seconds per exercise) - 5 minutes
- Jumping Jacks
- Prisoner Squat
- Off-Set Pushup
- Duck Under
- Arm Crosses
- Rest 1 minute and repeat 1 more time.

Water Break - 1 minute

TT Strength Circuit (20 seconds per exercise) - 5 minutes
- Vertical Jump or 1-Leg Deadlift (20 seconds per side)
- Spiderman Climb Pushup or T-Pushup
- Optional: Pull-up, Inverted Row, or DB Row
- Rest 1 minute and then repeat 1 more time.

Water Break - 1 minute

TT Depletion Circuit (20 seconds per exercise) - 10 minutes
- Bodyweight Squat
- Decline Pushup or Close-Grip Pushup
- Reverse Lunge (20 seconds per side)
- Cross-Body Mountain Climber
- 1-Leg RDL (20 seconds per side)
- Plank (60 seconds)
- Run in Place
- Rest 1 minute and repeat 1-2 more times.

Cool-down, Stretching & Water Break - 7 minutes
Quote:
1) Squats
2) Pushups
3) Jump squats
4) Decline pushups
5) Lunges
6) Mountain climbers
7) Dumbell swings
8] Close-grip pushups
some of my metabolic stuff has more Jerk/pull stuff like lateral throws and snatches.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:22 AM   #200

Good stuff, Ileen. Thanks for sharing this with me.

Sounds similar in many ways to CrossFit.

Those lateral throws? LOVE those. I've been gradually upping my weight (or sets) on those since you first mentioned these to me. I have other people in the gym wanting to do them now.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #201

wouldnt compare this to crossfit.. just an isolated workout for cardio instead of using any of the typical cardio machines and units.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #202

Quote:
wouldnt compare this to crossfit.. just an isolated workout for cardio instead of using any of the typical cardio machines and units.

I'm not familiar with "standard" CrossFit protocol, but I happened to stop by this place one afternoon where my friend (who belongs to a CrossFit center) was getting ready to do a CrossFit cardio workout outside that day, in this big area they had cleared, and the people who were doing it had pretty much no equipment (just a few mats in places) and were all doing a cardio circuit similar to what you've described. And they were, uh, getting their asses kicked?
Old 07-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #203

LOL!

not sure who originated this stuff.. Abel says he started some of it yrs back and everyone copied.. Typical bootcamp stuff for sure.. and yep! kick a$$
Old 07-15-2011, 02:37 AM   #204

Sharing these great, simple, get-real tips from a blog I subscribe to, "The Lean Saloon"

Quote:
■Purchase mostly whole, real food
■Donít frequent places that sell crap food with low-quality ingredients
■Donít go down the aisle that sell packaged calories
■Go for a walk rather than go for a snack
■Have a ďwalk dateĒ rather than a lunch date
■Keep yourself busy (create something, build something, do your work)
■Limit internet time
■Slow down and enjoy your meal
■If you canít slow down and enjoy your meal, then donít eat it
■If youíre going to eat your sinful dessert, then thoroughly enjoy it
■Whether you finish your dinner or not, there will always be starving children somewhere (change your belief)
■Stop reading hypothesis and theories on what makes you fat, and do what makes you lean
■Exercise a little, move a lot
■Watch less TV
■Get up more often
■Be positive in life
■Get more sleep
■Live a balance life
■Be kind
■Enjoy each other

You need a lifestyle change that brings you back to the basics of consuming less and of losing weight.

While losing weight is simple in concept, it isnít easy in practice ó and thatís probably why so many fail: an absence of a long-term lifestyle change.

This is what makes dietary debate of today so addictive: in it we are guaranteed to find an excuse for our failure, whether theyíre real or not. (Oh, itís my broken metabolism. Oh, itís the carbs.)

Letís take on accountability. Make a long-term lifestyle change. Eat mostly whole, real food. Donít overeat. Eat less if youíve become ďa little pudgy.Ē

Let them debate, and let us lose weight.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:46 AM   #205

Updating Thursday:

Low-med carb day. My numbers before going out to dinner were:

CALS ...974
PROT....122
CABRS....70
FIBER.....10
FAT.......28

My dinner was on the light side generally speaking: Grilled fire-roasted shrimp, steamed green beans, and a side salad. Three (3) glasses of Pinot Noir:blush: (I don't like white wine)

The jazz band -- excellent. Very engaging musicians, experienced (I've seen his band before) and classy.

There was a full moon last night, and it was lovely. The humidity had lifted and it was an especially pleasant summer night.

Training: 10 mins cardio warmup, 40 mins training (delts and abs).

Today is a quasi-rest day: Callanetics and a bit of walking.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:48 PM   #206

Love these. I discovered them in early June. 9 net carbs per serving. super crunchy!

They're standard on my orders from Netrition now.

Not an every-day thing, but on higher carb or training days...just when I have that urge to "crunch" !!!

Old 07-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #207

Yesterday went pretty well. I didn't track from dinner forward, and I ended up eating too many calories. Not bad, just not what I had intended.

But fear not, today was my INTENSE day, Saturdays always are, and I'm confident that I'm still good to go and remain on track.

I tried on one of my smallest pairs of jeans I own yesterday, and they fit PERFECTLY. Yep...I'm adjusting rather well, hopping back into this groove like a pro.

The white shorts that I'm wearing in this journal, taken on my birthday (a few pages back) are now quite baggy on me. Right after they're washed, they're okay, but then after a few hours .... nah.

This proof is so much more rewarding than a frikkin number on a scale. This is all I need to know to validate my efforts. It's really that simple. Am I curious to know what I weigh? Maybe. Yes. No. Who cares. It really is that simple.

(Who's that I see in the reflection? Wellalrighthen...this is working!)

Today's workout was ALL THAT. I spent quite a bit of time there, intentionally, and was SPENT AND BEAT when I left -- my "badge" of hard work.

Speed squats w/med ball
Walking DB lunges
Incline med ball crunches
Weighted planks
One-arm one-leg Romanian deadlifts
Barbell squats
Leg presses
Forward lunge w/med ball + oblique twists
Flat bench EZ bar tricep extensions
Rope cable overhead tricep extensions
Standing DB overhead tricep extensions
V-ups
Weighted leg raises on the bench

S/S Cardio following, 20 mins

Drive home....and feast on my first and most meaningful meal of the day.

How I looked forward to my protein oatmeal pancakes, with fresh sliced peaches! Yummmmmm.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 07-16-2011 at 11:36 AM..
Old 07-16-2011, 05:39 PM   #208

Unforgettable.

My Saturday afternoon...

I took a nap ...so relaxing and refreshing.
I listened to classic jazz...Nat King Cole--How do you get any better than this? His voice was pure velvet. And that song...Unforgettable...! My absolute favorite. Will never grow tired of listening to THAT song.
I cleaned house a bit.
I bought groceries.
I bought my son some Little Caesar's Pepperoni Bread*
And I did some reading.

(* I ate two pieces for 300 cals, along with a Diet A&W Root Beer...just had a craving for this combo!)

It's been a good Saturday. I made it a med/high carb day, med/high cals. My last meal was at 8:00 p.m. It's a beautiful, pleasant evening, so I'd like to take advantage of that and go for a run. I may download some classic jazz to listen to later this evening.

My two most recent downloads for cardio, Sonique's "Sky," and "It Feels So Good" have been great for cardio.

Nutrition Totals:

CALS.....1753
PROT......178
CARBS....156
FIBER.......22
FAT..........34
Old 07-17-2011, 06:47 AM   #209

you day sounded relaxing! Another relaxing day on tap?

We had a family birthday party/reunion with like 40peeps yesterday. carrying over today at another sil house and MORE people with all the family PLUS nephews friends etc (his party)
foodies all pretty good except a cookie or two that I let. Same plan for today. Instead of my refeed.

I need a nap and I havent started my day..We got home at 2am, bed at 3 and woke at 8:30..I feel hung over and I dont drink! ha.... Trying to get more caffeine/ energy to train lower body today.. Might need to pop a caf tablet. oy..
Old 07-17-2011, 09:54 AM   #210
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: westiesam
Stats: 165/137/123
WOE: LC/Low Glycemic/Carb Cycling
Start Date: January 2011
Hi Twyla
I love Little Caesars breadsticks - never had the pepperoni bread yet - I'll have to try it sometime!

I started my weight lifting the other day and was surprised how enjoyable it was -- I use to lift years ago - but just lost the habit - and at my age I know I need that as much as the cardio. Now I just need to get my behind out of bed earlier in the morning to do my cardo before I head off to work -- then I'll be on the right track.....

Have a good one
westiesam is offline   Reply With Quote