LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #151
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted_by_food View Post
WOW simply stunning you are looking gorgeous!!!!
Thank you, Sans.
WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2011, 01:38 PM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firm Hottie View Post
As usual, I totally agree with you, Twyla. If you're not well rested, your training will suffer, and not do you any good.

Better to rest, then hit the gym!

I may not be online much this weekend, and am going on vacation next week, so

Love ya hon!
Ahhhh, look at that...Patriotic Dancin' Smilies. Too cute. WHERE did ya find THAT?

Yep, rest and recovery are so part of the equation. Oh, and by the way, you MUST begin subscribing to Oxygen. It is the one magazine that I literally read cover to cover. It is worth every penny. Not a bunch of advertising hype and clutter, it really gets to the meat of fitness and nutrition (play on words?) and isn't a bunch of cluttered fluff and sugar-coated nonsense. I've never enjoyed a magazine more than Oxygen. Evah.

I'll bet you'll have a busy weekend packing, Laura. I hope if we don't connect up before you leave that you have a wonderful 4th of July holiday and safe and happy vacation travels to you and your family.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:49 PM   #153

Wow. I made it to Friday. And my very-long to-do list is finally completed -- well, almost. What a very busy week. I'm so ready for Friday.

I'm beginning with a little smooth jazz to mellow out, along with a glass of wine -- Ergo, of course -- and look forward to dinner out with friends tonight.

Tomorrow I'll make it to the gym mid morning for total body w/o along with cardio. I prefer working out in the mornings in the summer because it's much cooler.

I managed to clean and spruce up my screened back porch (oasis) last night, and I hear it calling my name. Ready, set.........

Old 07-02-2011, 05:25 AM   #154

It's Saturday morning, six days post vacation "lag," and I'm ready to resume my protocol toward my newly discovered (March 2011) way of eating. I haven't mentioned it much in my journal, as I'm a rookie, and yes, was VERY skeptical at first.

But as I began seeing results, AND as I began reading more and more success stories of how others have conquered insulin sensitivity issues with this approach, I have become more encouraged.

My surgery was a setback, given that I couldn't train for several weeks. Having been given the go ahead by my surgeon (he's so cute!), and now that vacation is over, I've rolled up my sleeves and am ready to conquer the middle-age, muscle-losing, fat-gaining, metabolic-slowdown monster head on.

I have to go sing at 9:00 a.m. this morning, and then I will take in 10 g of BCAA's and hit the gym for my training. I plan to be more "forthcoming" with my experience in this endeavor, given that there seems to be very few 50-something females that have experimented and/or embraced this way of eating/training. I am glad to be among the guinea pigs -- PIGS? Did I just say that? So much for oxymorons.

Till later...
Old 07-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #155

Training today: Supine pullovers, lat pulldowns, reverse incline flys, figure 8's w/med ball, leg presses, walking lunges, straight-leg deadlifts, one set of curls; plus 10 min cardio warmup and 15 s/s cardio following training. Great energy, which must have been apparent to others at the gym. Someone commented to me...."Where do you get that kind of energy?"

(It comes from my heart and my soul!)
First meal eaten post workout . Yep.

110 carbs so far today. Should top out at around 150. Cals will be around 1800ish.

Tried a new recipe with chocolate casein:

1 scoop casein, 8 gr nat pb, 1 packet Stevia, just enough water to make a stiff mud. Mix thoroughly, roll into three little "Fudgey" balls. Oh-so-yummy-clean.

Washed two cars today and did lots of chores/cleaning around the house.

Downloaded a few new songs, some for cardio, some for training. One of them I heard on the ambient channel, and immediately went searching for it on Amazon. Wow. Sends chills. So beautiful..."Love is The Ocean."

New downloads:

Love is The Ocean (Seay)
Rhythm is a Dancer (Snap)
Beautiful Life (Ace of Base)
Where Do You Go (No Mercy)
It Feels So Good (Sonique)

It's been a good day. It feels so good to be on plan and in my routine again. To have a vision, a mission. It is an escape as much as it is a passion.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 07-02-2011 at 02:59 PM..
Old 07-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #156

Sunday. Low carb day in rotations.

Workouts for today: Cardio only. 20 mins of fasted s/s cardio accomplished so far. 10-20 mins more this evening, non-fasted.

We will be going into the city tonight to listen to the symphony on the river and watch the fireworks. Looking forward to this. Tomorrow we're planning a picnic in the back yard with neighbors and will be having our own fireworks display (bought on the way home from vacation with the help of my youngest son). I'll make tomorrow a med day in rotations so that I can enjoy more yummies.

Church service today was incredibly moving. The music, the stories, the photographs and displays throughout the sanctuary, American flags displayed here and about which were used while fighting for our freedom in wars past. Photographs of servicemen of all branches, uniforms, memorabilia, etc., The sermon and music were focused on vindicating God and his role in our government. It was awesome. I along with two other women performed Diamond Rio's "In God We Still Trust" as one of the offeratory songs. Very moving lyrics.

Great service, and a perfect intro and staging for the celebration of Independence Day this weekend.

YouTube - ‪In God We Still Trust - Diamond Rio‬‏

Old 07-04-2011, 04:54 AM   #157
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: tempted_by_food
Stats: 233/164/140
WOE: HHCG Rogue Style....
Start Date: restart: 7/13/2009
america.gif
tempted_by_food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:30 AM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted_by_food View Post
Ahhhhh....that's sweet!

Old 07-05-2011, 09:10 AM   #159

Having visited with my sisters Saturday night till quite late, then having to get up very early on Sunday morning, my body was craving rest so badly that I ended up sleeping in till almost 9:30 on Monday, July 4th. Oh wow! How long has it been since I've slept that late? My body must have needed it.

Our bodies are such complicated machines. How important it is to listen to them and respond accordingly.

Sunday night's fireworks on the river, listening to the symphony, was absolutely elating. As I shared with a friend in an email...

Being there in that atmosphere, watching the fireworks explode into brilliant colors, the music and displays in synchronized crescendos, it sent chills....for deeper reasons...Mom was all around me!. I could hear her squealing, child-like, her laughter and joy at the fireworks display, flashing her wide beautiful smile-- oh, how she loved the Fourth of July, and how she loved being downtown on this evening celebratiang along with the symphony and the fireworks display. I could feel her smiling down from heaven tonight. I felt her. She was seeing it with me. Again. Just like in times past. As happy tears rolled down my cheeks, I was flooded with memories of her joy for life and America and family and good times, as the sky filled with colorful bursts of light and love and celebration and music. "Isn't it beautiful, Mom..." I whispered to myself. God bless America indeed.

Having had a few indulgences from yesterday's backyard picnic/celebration, I will be very mindful today through Thursday of lower carbs and clean eating.

Too exhausted to get up early this morning for a workout, I've decided to make that a priority after work this evening.

Life is worth celebrating now and then. No regrets or wasted hindsight. Finding balance is an evolving process.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:00 PM   #160

Notable Quotables

"Fat loss needs to be slow and tempered. In my experience, this allows for a smooth transition into maintenance and minimizes muscle loss. I also believe it might lessen the negative effect of dieting on leptin, which ultimately makes maintenance of low body fat achievable. I think most people diet too hard, which has a profoundly negative effect on leptin - and this is part of the reason why the weight gain rebound is so common in folks who finally manage to reach their goal (and then screw up everything by binging).

Planned and regular refeeds should be in place. This affects leptin positively and allows for maintenance of muscle and strength. Even if your goal ultimately is fat loss, entering an anabolic phase with post-workout overfeeding will serve you well.

For best results: [One should aim to lose] the final pounds of fat very slowly and the weekly calorie deficit [should be subtle]. The scale [should move down] as slow as one pound every other week....[the result being a focus on health and energy, etc., rather than on "dieting," while maintaining strength and muscle surprisingly well."

--Adapted from "Intermittent Fasting, Setpoint and Leptin," LeanGains.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #161
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Irish64
Stats: 169.2/148.8/125 5'3"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 04/29/2011
Read your jounal and you are a great inspiration and one fierce firecracker. Keep motivating we all need it.
Irish64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:41 PM   #162
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Balance101
Stats: 207/197/140
WOE: hHcg
Start Date: 10/7/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
Being there in that atmosphere, watching the fireworks explode into brilliant colors, the music and displays in synchronized crescendos, it sent chills....for deeper reasons...Mom was all around me!. I could hear her squealing, child-like, her laughter and joy at the fireworks display, flashing her wide beautiful smile-- oh, how she loved the Fourth of July, and how she loved being downtown on this evening celebratiang along with the symphony and the fireworks display. I could feel her smiling down from heaven tonight. I felt her. She was seeing it with me. Again. Just like in times past. As happy tears rolled down my cheeks, I was flooded with memories of her joy for life and America and family and good times, as the sky filled with colorful bursts of light and love and celebration and music. "Isn't it beautiful, Mom..." I whispered to myself. God bless America indeed.
What a wonderful story. Just beautiful.
Balance101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:33 AM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish64 View Post
Read your jounal and you are a great inspiration and one fierce firecracker. Keep motivating we all need it.
Well hey there, Irish64! That's cool that you popped in here.
Yes, I totally agree with THAT...
we all need support and motivation now and then.
I enjoy being that extra kick in the butt to people finding their way.
It forifies my OWN resolve in many ways.

Heading out the door...I'm already a minute late!
Power walk for 20 mins, then heading to my gym.
Off I go...be back later.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:35 PM   #164

Old 07-07-2011, 02:29 AM   #165

Both of my oldest two sons are at home now (as of yesterday), and our grocery bill is gonna go off the charts. My middle son is helping to condition my youngest son to get him ready for football season, and so they headed to our gym. He’s never lifted before. He stressed form to him, making sure that he kept weights challenging, but on the low side, increasing sets, drop-set style. Poor kid…I have a feeling I’ll hear some complaints this evening when I get home from work. He even convinced him to start drinking whey protein shakes once or twice a day to help boost his protein intake. He’s tall and skinny, he’s not big on protein, and he’s never much liked the shakes either. But last night he said, “Hmm…these aren’t so bad afterall. I can see why you drink them.”

I’m back to buying two gallons of milk every other day.

I decided to go with a low-med day in rotations afterall. I was craving protein oatmeal pancakes, and satiety was my goal. They fill me up and always make me feel very balanced. It ended up being the right choice. Today is cardio only, and I won’t be lifting again until Friday (delts and abs), and then again on Saturday (legs and glutes), so I’ll probably go with a med high day on Saturday.

Totals for Wednesday:

CALS 1744
PROT……204 (48%)
CARBS….93 (20%)
FIBER….14
FAT.......61 (31%)

I'm having my first (most sacred-cherished) cup of coffee for the day. This early morning coffee time fills a need, both physically and emotionally. It always will. It's that time of day that I look forward to and want to prolong...make it last. Nothing lasts forever unfortunately.

Quiet. Dark. I sip slowly as I reflect deeply on so many things. It's clearly the best time of my day.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:07 AM   #166
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: tempted_by_food
Stats: 233/164/140
WOE: HHCG Rogue Style....
Start Date: restart: 7/13/2009
T...i think you should get a cow for your backyard it sounds like you need it with them growing boys around was beautiful reading how the fireworks went and the love you felt it really touched me
tempted_by_food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:29 PM   #167

Incredily busy last two days at work and at home. So ready for Friday and time to relax a little.
Sans, you're absolutely RIGHT. A cow is what we need. But I refuse to milk the damn thing. I'll pass on that...it's THEIR job.

I made it to the gym this morning for delts and abs. A bit of warmup cardio. I was late getting there because I slept in an hour later, and did a quick "pony-tail" day for work, dressing in easy black (so quick, so perfect, polished), so I wasn't late for work afterall.

Wearing a pair of pants today that were looser on me than when I wore them a week ago. Suh-weet.

Yesterdays nutrition was dead on:

cals 1542
fat 81
carbs 54
fiber 12
prot 155

Today I'm not tracking, just winging in my head, but trying to stay low carb low cal.

I need a nap!

Old 07-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #168

Good night's rest last night.

Hit the gym around 9:45 ish. Warmed up with cardio, then did legs/glutes, with tricep work in between LB sets. Very slow, deliberate EZ bar incline tricep extensions, 15 reps x 4 sets. Nailed 'em. 50 mins of training, and an extra 25 mins s/s cardio following training.

It's gonna be a med/high day today. So far, having eaten my biggest meal of the day postworkout, I'm at 87 carbs, 19 gr of fat, 105 protein.

Feel rested, renewed, clean, focused and strong.

YouTube - ‪Sonique - It Feels So Good.flv‬‏

Old 07-09-2011, 10:14 AM   #169

Old 07-10-2011, 05:20 AM   #170
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
It's Saturday morning, six days post vacation "lag," and I'm ready to resume my protocol toward my newly discovered (March 2011) way of eating. I haven't mentioned it much in my journal, as I'm a rookie, and yes, was VERY skeptical at first.

But as I began seeing results, AND as I began reading more and more success stories of how others have conquered insulin sensitivity issues with this approach, I have become more encouraged.
Twyla, forgive me if I missed a better definition of this, but what is the newly discovered woe you mentioned above? I'm always curious as to what you're up to. Also, since you are at your goal weight. What is/are your goal /goals now? (If you prefer to keep things under wraps for a bit longer, I totally understand!) Keep hitting it hard Twyla!
Old 07-10-2011, 10:39 AM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance101 View Post
Twyla, forgive me if I missed a better definition of this, but what is the newly discovered woe you mentioned above? I'm always curious as to what you're up to. Also, since you are at your goal weight. What is/are your goal /goals now? (If you prefer to keep things under wraps for a bit longer, I totally understand!) Keep hitting it hard Twyla!
Corey, the newly discovered WOE is LeanGains Intermittent Fasting (slash) carb cycling approach. I won't say a lot about the LeanGains program for fear of getting nasty letters from the moderators on this board, but if you google that phrase, you can find the site/blog and full explanations and success stories on this type of eating/training approach.

Secondly, I'm NOT at goal right now, but I'm trying to get back there. I have found that at my age it has become harder and harder to maintain low body fat AND to control raging hormones and a slowing metabolism, all which work in tandem with (or against) each other. It is for THIS reason that I decided to give LGIF a try, based on everything I had read about its effects on insulin. In short, I was sick of being hungry all the time -- or most of the time. Since I already am seasoned at weight training, it was simply learning to combine the training with this type of nutritional approach, along with carb cycling (which I also practice) to see if I could get better results with both fat loss progress/maintenance and control over insulin issues.

The details of the program, as I said, can be found at the website and at other sites that have forums dedicated to specifically this way of eating and training.

LG approach suggests that women's fasting window be 14 hours; men, 16 hours. It is suggested that one follow the same eating protocol so that your body's hunger hormones will adapt. My last meal of the day is typically no later than 8:30. I usually break my fast between 11:00 a.m. and 12:00 noon.

I list below in summary fashion my reasoning for beginning this approach in early March, and now that my surgery is over and I'm back from vacation, I have resumed my "experimentation" and hope to see the success that so many others have. Up until my surgery, I had begun to see very positive body comp results and I was very encouraged that I had gotten a better handle over my hunger issues and insulin issues with this way of eating.

Here goess:

Quote:
Intermittent Fasting Benefits

There are several benefits to fasting. Fat loss is an obvious benefit. Fasting forces your body to use stored fat as a means for energy. Additionally, assuming you do not compensate for a fast by overeating, your weekly calorie intake will decrease allowing for a reduction of 1-2 pounds per week. (Unless you're very close to goal and/or lower body fat, meaning the rate could be slower, esp for women.)

Another benefit is that fasting significantly decreases insulin levels allowing you to store less fat. Fasting has also been shown to increase HGH (human growth hormone) levels, which further accelerate fat burning without loss of muscle mass.

Contrary to public perception, intermittent fasting does not cause a slowdown in metabolism. Additionally, while following an intermittent fasting diet, you can maintain or even gain lean muscle mass simply by performing resistance training.

The purpose of intermittent fasting (IF) as presented in the context of Leangains: IF in and of itself is simply a way of compressing the traditional feeding times into a shorter period throughout the day for the main purpose of satiety. That it may have some health benefits such as insulin sensitivity is significant, but not massively relevant … Essentially it boils down to being fuller on the same amount of food, and teaching your body to be hungry at specific times and not at others.

So with that in mind, having to extend your window a couple of hours every once in a while is not a big deal, since you're probably using IF to better regulate your intake, and that is ultimately determined by what you eat, not when.

Macronutrients and calorie intakes are always cycled through the week. The specifics depend on a person’s ultimate goal: fat loss, muscle gain or body recomposition. Generally speaking, carbs and total calorie intake is highest on training days. On rest days, carbs are lower and fat is higher. Protein is kept high on all days.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 07-10-2011 at 10:43 AM..
Old 07-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #172

Update: Yesterday went rather well. My body was ready for an increase in both carbs and calories, so I likely ended up with closer to a HIGH day in carbs, rather than med/high, which is just as well. I was very full after dinner -- too full, actually. Shouldn't have allowed that to happen. But it did. I did it. Whatever. My training was intense and targeted, and I am sure my body used and appreciated the extra fuel for recovery.

Despite that fact, I woke up feeling lean and controlled with no obvious "fallout" effects. I began the day with 30 mins of fasted s/s cardio -- brisk walking. I may or may not go for another walk later today. Since feeling very noticeable glute DOMS this morning from yesterday's training, I knew the walk would help to alleviate the soreness as well, and it did.

Today is back to VLC -- 50 ish or below -- and tomorrow will be another LC day, no more than 60-70, both days being lower cals. Tuesay will be a medium carb and higher cal day, as that wil be my next training day.

Monday I will do cardio and Callanetics only.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #173

Today went well. Rotations went as planned, no hunger or craving issues.

DOMS began to be more noticeable in my quads as the day wore on, and then in my triceps, the delayed soreness not-so-subtle reminders of my hard work yesterday. I do not complain. It validates me.

Although it was incredibly hot/muggy this evening, I went ahead and walked for 15 mins, making my cardio for the day a total of 45 mins. As I walked, I was mesmerized by the beauty of the moon, the same moon that shines for everyone--that in itself is beautiful. Its light held by attention, my gaze locked on it as I continued to walk. This quiet, warm summer night, so still, hearing only the sounds of chirping insects and my footsteps on the pavement. Just me...and the moon.

Time for bed.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:31 AM   #174
Major LCF Poster!

I love reading your journal Twyla. You are so poetic. I wonder if your name makes you love the moon more. It is beautiful and peaceful.

So, you're not at your goal weight, huh? Do you ever get tired of hearing what an inspiration you are? I think 98% of all women would happily claim goal if they looked the way you do. You really work your butt off to look like you. Were you always an avid exerciser?

I did look at LeanGains Intermittent Fasting a bit. If I understand it correctly, it's not too far off from what you were doing before with carb rotations, it basically just adds in a 14 hour fasting period daily? That's a great way to keep calories down and not have to skimp the rest of the day. The hcg phase that I am on calls for just coffee or tea for breakfast so that more can be eaten in the rest of the day. It's a good strategy.

But, you can have your morning coffee can't you? Because, if not...THAT would be tragic!

I'm glad you enjoy the feeling of your muscles rebuilding. I used to love it too. It's almost like a feeling of rebirth, regrowth, feeling stronger.... I miss that. I've decided not to exercise until the 40 days of 500 calories is over. I read that my losses would slow otherwise. So, 34 more days before I can enjoy that feeling. I look forward to it.

Have a great day Twyla!
Old 07-11-2011, 09:52 AM   #175

Corey, I don't know, maybe there is some connection between my name and the moon...or maybe it's just that I take so much pleasure in the simple joys of nature -- the moon, sunsets, snowfall, ocean tide and breaking waves, even rain at times. It all adds its own signature of beauty to this earth in one way or another.

Thank you for your kudos/comments. Yes, I work rather hard at keeping this body in shape at my age. But I guess everybody needs a passion, right? I didn't begin lifting until after the birth of my third son ('98), and I began small and it just sort of evolved. I started lifting more seriously/progressively around 2008. I enjoy being around and talking with people who get jazzed about weight training and its many benefits. I'm pretty much addicted to it, I guess you could say. The more I learn, the more immersed I become.

I think you're right about your summary on LG, the IF element to it, combined with carb rotations. Pretty much. That, and making sure that you train hard and progressively. Yep.

I can understand why you would want to hold off on training until after that initial phase. Building muscle takes a lot out of us, and we need to be properly fueled for our muscles to grow and develop and to keep our bodies from catabolizing our hard-earned LBM.

And as for morning coffee? Yes. Definitely. This JavaDiva will never give up her morning coffee. Nevah.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:09 AM   #176

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Hey T!!!!

its been too long!!

inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:09 AM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
Hey T!!!!

its been too long!!

Hey there, Ileen! Seeing your avi in my journal just now makes me smile. Admirably! Keep rockin' it, girl!

Old 07-12-2011, 06:28 AM   #178

Updating:

Monday went well, as my second day in a row of low cals and low carbs. Very well in fact. Numbers:

CALS 1317
PROT 172
CARBS 47
FIBER 8
FAT 50

I began the day with 45 mins of Callanetics, finishing with 17 mins of brisk walking, all in the a.m., and fasted.

We had a bad storm to come through around 6 last night and were w/o power until after 10:00 pm. I had begun marinating chicken tenderloins before the power went out, and so I grilled those, and added a salad to complete my dinner. I had transcripts to do, but no power, and my laptop was low on battery, so I sat in the car to work on transcripts with my laptop connected to the alt power adapter. Improvisation is a wonderful thing.

I was beginning to notice yesterday that my body has shifted into "overdrive" since dialing in my LGIF starting last Monday. When I eat off plan (like 4th of July picnic) it takes a few days up to a week for my body's hormones to reset and adapt. Yesterday was pivotal. Today even more so. Seeing big changes just in the last couple of days in the mirror and in my clothes. Timed and strategic carb rotations are so effective! So keep on keeping on. It's working.

This morning was gym day, thankful to be able to work out before it gets oppressively hot and humid, as it has been for the last couple of days. My husband bought me a pair of Gripps for my birthday, and I had to send them back for a different size. The replacements arrived, and I used them this morning for the first time, working back and biceps. Hmmm. Very cool. It really does take the pressure off my wrists very effectively, aiding in my plan of showing no mercy to each muscle group. 10 min cardio warmup, followed by 42 mins of progressive training, doing drop sets on several exercises.

Today is higher carbs. Well done, servant. You deserve them. Let's keep this machine burning!
Old 07-12-2011, 10:51 AM   #179

Quote:
Hey there, Ileen! Seeing your avi in my journal just now makes me smile. Admirably! Keep rockin' it, girl!

Quote:
Timed and strategic carb rotations are so effective! So keep on keeping on. It's working.
Im following your new IF journey!..

I have refeeds, much like your strategic carb rotation.. my Friend marianne calls them natural disasters lol..

Glad you were able to find some power! Technology cant do with, cant do without!
Old 07-12-2011, 10:52 AM   #180

Hi Laura

(sorry T