Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 02:54 AM   #1381
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Productive day yesterday, beginning with the gym. 25 mins training -- delts & abs-- 20 mins cardio. Stayed busy throughout the day troubleshooting work-related issues, then leaving the office early in order to get my sons to football practice by 2 pm. Very inconvenient, Coach! Most people do work for a living, and getting the younger players there in the middle of the afternoon is a bit of a challenge. Luckily we had no docket and my boss is understanding and very good to me. But my son may end up riding his bike to practice on days we have court and there are no other options. Next year he'lll likely be driving and this won't be an issue.

I finished working out out of my home afterwards, and managed to get in a 45 minute nap late afternoon. Refreshing!

Egg whites and a bit of oats for breakfast; Two boiled eggs and three Cinnabun Mini Muffins for lunch, and a scoop of whey (for pudding) with green tea and a packet of tuna mid afternoon. Dinner was lean white turkey burger with a spinach salad and fresh garden veggies. Just before bed, another serving of chocolate whey pudding, 2 tsp of nat PB, and decaf green tea. I gotta make it to the grocery store today to stock up, grill up some meat this weekend, and plan my menus for next week.

I met a good friend at 7:00 at a local park for a power walk. The park has a huge winding, rolling walking trail around the circumference. To walk it once, fast as we can go, takes 30 minutes. There are hills and dips and wooded areas along the trail, which keeps it interesting and more challenging. We walked it twice, and then guzzled our water as we sat under a tree for a cool down. She's on a fitness mission too, and one of her goals is to firm up her belly. She mentioned she didn't seem to be making a lot of progress and asked me for some pointers. I asked her if she'd ever tried weighted ab work. She hadn't. So there in the middle of the park, I sat in the grass by the picnic table and showed her several ab circuits that she could do using a weight plate and/or a dumbbell, explaining how to to do them in sets, and how often. She was excited and eager to try them out. She's just joined a local gym, and has begun a kickboxing class, twice a week. We're going to try to meet once a week for our power walk. She's gonna try to work in some weight training in the mix. She doesn't have a lot of experience with weights and wants to learn. One of those enviable, naturally long and lean women, she's never had to worry about ANYTHING she ate, ever. Legs for days. I hate her. In a good way! But like everyone our age, life eventually puts demands on the body, no matter HOW genetically gifted, to keep up and get in the fight or succumb to soft and mushy, aches and pains, and a snail-paced metabolism. She gets it. She's a keeper!

My energy is alive and well this morning. My clean eating, adequate rest and training is paying off.

Gym time. Back day. Time to hit it...

WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #1382

Journaling brings on integrity. We journal to be accountable. We journal to learn and achieve and progress. We journal to reinforce our commitment and discipline.

It's important to me to lose these extra 10-15 lbs, and I know that facing the music every day through my efforts, my adherence to diet, and laying it on the table is going to help in getting me there. It's part of facing the monster, staring it down, busting my ass and fighting back.

Accountability.

Integrity.

I ate on plan yesterday, but I probably ate too much. I wasn't thrilled with my end-of-day numbers, but it wasn't a total failure. Today was leg day at the gym, the day I sweat buckets and scream for oxygen, and as much as it hurts, I love that feeling of power. I could have wrung the sweat out of my shirt when I left the gym. It was clinging to me, and at the same time stretched and hanging heavy from the sweat, as if I'd just jumped in a pool. I'm sure I smelled quite lovely.

I squatted 150 today x 2 sets, and 130 x 2 sets; walking lunges, single-leg lunges; single-leg Romanian deadlifts; Smith bridges; and then I tried a tagalong exercise today using a high pulley to do forward punches with a twist, working shoulders, arms AND obliques. A great compound movement that raised my heart rate in a hurry. Weighted ab work thrown in the mix. Steady cardio followup to totally deplete and burn that fat.

I'm heading out shortly to get groceries, get a pedicure, and then later tonight I'm going out to The Wine Valley with some friends of mine from the gym, and then to dinner. I HAVE TO STAY ON PLAN, despite my wine indulgence. I'm limiting myself to two glasses. Two. ONE, TWO. Done. I can do this. I really gotta try. I can easily put away 3-4 glasses of wine without blinking, so it's easy to forget and limit myself. Alcohol and dieting don't get along well. Remember this, T.

But I'm looking forward to the girl time. GNO. Long overdue.

I've had post-workout whey protein; and later 3.5 oz turkey with 1/2 a sweet potato. I'll have a lean protein meal around 3 pm, and then that's it until dinner tonight. Tons of water. Drink, drink, drink, T. Then drink some more. Flood it outta there!

I got this.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #1383
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DaisyGG
Stats: 211/198/155 5'7"
WOE: keto
Start Date: 3.9.14
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
Journaling brings on integrity. We journal to be accountable. We journal to learn and achieve and progress. We journal to reinforce our commitment and discipline.

It's important to me to lose these extra 10-15 lbs, and I know that facing the music every day through my efforts, my adherence to diet, and laying it on the table is going to help in getting me there. It's part of facing the monster, staring it down, busting my ass and fighting back.

Accountability.

Integrity.

I ate on plan yesterday, but I probably ate too much. I wasn't thrilled with my end-of-day numbers, but it wasn't a total failure. Today was leg day at the gym, the day I sweat buckets and scream for oxygen, and as much as it hurts, I love that feeling of power. I could have wrung the sweat out of my shirt when I left the gym. It was clinging to me, and at the same time stretched and hanging heavy from the sweat, as if I'd just jumped in a pool. I'm sure I smelled quite lovely.

I squatted 150 today x 2 sets, and 130 x 2 sets; walking lunges, single-leg lunges; single-leg Romanian deadlifts; Smith bridges; and then I tried a tagalong exercise today using a high pulley to do forward punches with a twist, working shoulders, arms AND obliques. A great compound movement that raised my heart rate in a hurry. Weighted ab work thrown in the mix. Steady cardio followup to totally deplete and burn that fat.

I'm heading out shortly to get groceries, get a pedicure, and then later tonight I'm going out to The Wine Valley with some friends of mine from the gym, and then to dinner. I HAVE TO STAY ON PLAN, despite my wine indulgence. I'm limiting myself to two glasses. Two. ONE, TWO. Done. I can do this. I really gotta try. I can easily put away 3-4 glasses of wine without blinking, so it's easy to forget and limit myself. Alcohol and dieting don't get along well. Remember this, T.

But I'm looking forward to the girl time. GNO. Long overdue.
Have fun at the GNO!

I am so glad I'm back here and get to read your workout journal. You kick some arse girl. Every time.
DaisyGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #1384

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
T!
have been thinking lots about you laterly!
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:43 AM   #1385

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
T!
have been thinking lots about you laterly!
Hey, Ilene! WELL ya know what? I think of you all the time too. I'll see something that reminds me of you, or of a conversation we've had, something you'd shared with me, whatever. Lasting impressions.

Hope you are well and healthy and staying at it. I'd like an update on your life and times!

Speaking of updates...time for accountability. It's Monday morning, and I survived the weekend, always the hardest part of dieting.

We had a great time Saturday evening for GNO. THEY chose a restaurant that I would have preferred to have avoided, but I didn't want to be the party pooper, and decided I'd try to make it work. It was a Hibachi restaurant. The food was good, but the service wasn't that great. It was fun watching the little guy prepare our food while we talked and laughed and unloaded our worries. I kept it to two glasses of wine for dinner ... BUT we ended up at the Wine Valley afterward, and I had an additional half glass there. I didn't eat a lot for dinner, so it may have been okay, all things considered...a few bites of white rice and a bit of chicken and vegetables. I'm not crazy about Thai food. I'll just leave it there. But the company was great.

I managed to sleep in both Saturday and Sunday, allowing me a full 8 hours of rest both days, and even got in a nap on Sunday afternoon.

Exercise on Sunday was simply 25 mins of cardio on my elliptical at home. I mostly piddled and chilled for the day. My appetite seemed controlled, despite my few indulgences Saturday night. The mirror is giving me positive feedback, esp now that my hormone issues have receded.

We have two days of high humidity on tap, and then Wednesday begins the cool down, thankfully. Though I'm in the mood for a morning run, I think I'll wait until then. Heading to the gym to work on delts and some cardio.

Another cup of coffee would be nice. It never tastes as good any other time of day. Still and beautiful morning...I love you.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:48 AM   #1386

Strugglin' here. It's been like this for the past three days, fighting the cravings and hunger. There is a difference between the two, and I know what it is, except what I'm experiencing seems to be a mixture of both. It's likely my body is in a deficiency of something it needs, and not all "fuel" is created equal.

My metabolism has experienced a rocket boost jolt in the last week or so, having stepped up my training from "slugville" to a semi-normal routine. It may just be my metabolism's response to the higher HEAT and my body fighting for constancy to put out the fire. I have to outsmart it somehow. Give it more rest. More water. More nutrients and vitamins.

Today is leg day at the gym, and I am not going to go as heavy or as long. It won't be a full throttle workout, as most leg days go. I'll keep cardio steady too. We'll see how this all pans out.

Hanging on is key here. It's so easy to lose control. Food is often used to dull one's senses. The mind has to be in charge here.

I'm going to keep carbs at 50 or under for the next three days and tame this monster a bit and then reevaluate on Saturday.

Refreshment after a power walk on the beach.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #1387
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Strugglin' here. It's been like this for the past three days, fighting the cravings and hunger. There is a difference between the two, and I know what it is, except what I'm experiencing seems to be a mixture of both. It's likely my body is in a deficiency of something it needs, and not all "fuel" is created equal.

Hanging on is key here. It's so easy to lose control. Food is often used to dull one's senses. The mind has to be in charge here
Yes yes yes to this. Hunger vs cravings is sooooo different. I use food all the time to dull.

That photo of you is inspiration! Look at those guns.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:12 AM   #1388

Still working on overcoming the hunger and getting that sense of control back. I can tell my body is not in tandem right now. It's not at its fullest potential, its best. Frustrates me, and I wanna fix it.

I refuse to let this bring me down. It's times like these that it's easy to get swallowed up in a selfish pity pot of muck. Dwelling on the negatives serves ABSOLUTELY no purpose.

So as I switch my inner gears, I ask myself, what's good about TODAY?

Well, for starters, it's Friday. And it feels WONDERFUL outside. And I'm healthy and strong and able to walk out that door and breathe in that glorious morning air and welcome another day of living my life to the fullest. And as I begin walking, I will begin to count each of my blessings, as plentiful as the stars in that still-darkened sky.

Let go of what eats me, all that discolors my joy.

I simply give thanks and celebrate today and all the good that I can bring to others and they to me.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:46 AM   #1389

Made it. Through the weekend, that is. Weekends are always the toughest for most of us to get through. Sundays more so than any other day. Not sure why that is.

Sunday is a day of worship and rest. It's a day we usually have a meal together as a family following church. Traditions. They're a wonderful, cherished thing to have. But too many times we associate "fellowship" and good times with food. And if I don't make a conscious effort to focus on my goals, it's easy to say -- well, it's just this one bite, this one meal, this one occasion, and it's too easy to rationalize poor choices. Sometimes the meal is a sit-down meal in a restaurant, other times it's just going to my son's (used to be sons') favorite fast food place. I can USUALLY resist. But sometimes I say, well, I'll just have a burger w/o bun, or chicken salad, or whatever, but watching them eat theirs makes me continue to graze throughout the afternoon, because somehow in my mind I feel cheated, or not quite satisified. Whatever. It's in my head. All in my head.

I ended up sauteing zucchini, onions, green peppers and yellow squash in some olive oil, bit of seasoning, dash of soy sauce, then topping that on a huge plate of fresh Romaine and spinach; a sprinkle of roasted almonds and two chopped boiled eggs. It was SO yummy. Dinner being grilled salmon with green beans and a small salad. Dessert, a square of 85 Lindt and some decaf green tea.

But I stayed strong all weekend. And it was also good to "get by with a little help from my friends." The networking thing. Partners in fitness. It works. One motivates the other and it continues in a circle.

And my reward is waking up on a Monday morning, guilt-free, feeling strong and energetic and ready to take on another week of commitment, achievement and the satisfaction of knowing that it FEELS GOOD to live and eat like this. I FEEL GOOD. It pays. It truly does.

55 mins in the gym this morning, back and abs, with a set of 35 speed squats with a 30# bb thrown in for good measure; the remaining time (20 mins) cardio.

All set. Bring on the day. Let this feeling carry me through another week of success.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:01 AM   #1390
Major LCF Poster!

Look at you! Moving ahead and moving right.

That dinner you described made me salivate. Delicious!
Old 08-26-2013, 03:04 AM   #1391

...It all started on Thursday of last week,
sneaking up on me like a snake in the grass,
venom spewing like an erupting volcano...

NOT AGAIN!!!! I'M SO OVER FEMALE HORMONE CRAP! I'M TOO OLD. THIS SHOULD BE A DISTANT MEMORY!

LEAVE ME THE HELL ALONE, MOTHER NATURE.

I HAVE THINGS TO DO, GOALS TO REACH,
AND YOU KEEP INTERFERING!!!!!!!!

It's not been pretty.

The weekend was NOT good. I want a do-over. Yet here it is, Monday morning. Back to the start...

Old 08-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #1392
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Calliecat
Stats: 168.0/149.8/145.0
WOE: Atkins
Hi Twila, not sure if you will remember me, but I was on the BFFM thread years ago at the same time as you. I just wanted to let you know how inspiring your journal is! I'm struggling right now so I'm hoping your journal will help to motivate me. Your pictures from your competition were absolutely amazing. Hope you are doing well.

Lynne
Calliecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:37 AM   #1393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliecat View Post
Hi Twila, not sure if you will remember me, but I was on the BFFM thread years ago at the same time as you. I just wanted to let you know how inspiring your journal is! I'm struggling right now so I'm hoping your journal will help to motivate me. Your pictures from your competition were absolutely amazing. Hope you are doing well.

Lynne
Hey, Lynne. Yes, I DO remember you. BFFM days. The start of my "turnaround." The genesis of getting over carbophobia.

Hey listen, I'm struggling right now too. We may come in handy for each other, so if you wanna keep in touch, we might be able to pull ourselves out of this muck and get back on track.

I seem to do well for a few weeks, and then I'm hit head on with hormonal fallout. I keep thinking I'm over it, and then it hits me again. They say when menopause hits you have to worry about weight gain, etc. Well, if it's any worse than fighting TOM, I'm in for it.

I think learning to control our emotions (well, at least for me) is key too. I'm an emotional overeater. If I am struggling with emotions for whatever reason, I let food be my comfort. And on the surface, it may seem like I haven't eaten that badly, but those little bites over the course of the day add up in a hurry, a BIG hurry. And when you're within 10-12-15 lbs of goal, your body seems to fight back much harder to stay at constancy (current weight), making it harder to drop the extra layer(s) of fat, those last few pounds.

Let's kick this thing to the curb.

I'll try to look you up in the next day or so. I am headed to the gym in a few minutes. I like getting it out of the way in the morning because it's cooler (I'm not a summer person) and I like having lots more space, no lines, in the gym. I'm trying to get to the gym 3-4 x a week, and cardio most all other days, one rest day. I got in 60 mins of cardio yesterday. I began the day with spring intervals. My body responds to that very well. I'm gonna try doing that twice a week on cardio days.

I've had two clean days since Saturday's nightmarish/ridiculous indulgences. I am feeilng good again and my body is loving it. The 48 days following a pigout is pure hell. And then you start cruising again. "...Round and around and around and around we go......"

Busy day ahead at work. And for now I gotta run...I'll find you! Have a great day.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 08-27-2013 at 02:39 AM..
Old 08-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #1394
Senior LCF Member

It will be a big job trying to get me back on track! Peri menopause is really kicking me in the butt. Right now I just would just like to have more energy so that I can start moving again. I thought i would try getting my meAls on track first and I do okay till dinner then it's all down hill. Cheese and crackers for dinner (and wine) and then ice cream for a snack. I just can't seem to break that habit. I lost 20 lbs earlier this year doing weight watchers, but I feel like I still eat too much processed food with WW. I am 51 years old but I feel much older.

Hopefully I can help you a little bit - I know just reading about what you do everyday will help me.

Thanks for listening!
Old 08-28-2013, 07:23 AM   #1395

Quote:
It will be a big job trying to get me back on track! Peri menopause is really kicking me in the butt. Right now I just would just like to have more energy so that I can start moving again. I thought i would try getting my meAls on track first and I do okay till dinner then it's all down hill. Cheese and crackers for dinner (and wine) and then ice cream for a snack. I just can't seem to break that habit. I lost 20 lbs earlier this year doing weight watchers, but I feel like I still eat too much processed food with WW. I am 51 years old but I feel much older.

Hopefully I can help you a little bit - I know just reading about what you do everyday will help me.

Thanks for listening!
Okay. So. No job is too big. Start there, k?

Peri menopause. I'm there too. We shall overcome.

Energy: Let me know what supps you're taking, if any. How much sleep? How much water do you drink? What is a typical menu for you? Do you do any exercise at all, and if so, what and how often?

Nix the crackers. Nix the icecream. You can keep the cheese, just limit yourself to 2 ounces at first with that wine. Add 2-3 oz of roasted or grilledl chicken breast along with that cheese and wine. And drink one FULL/TALL glass of water BEFORE having any of the above. Later before bed, make yourself a cup of decaf green tea, with a dash of s/f Davinci's, and allow yourself to have one of the following: a) a square of 85% Lindt or Ghiradelli chocolate; or b) 1 scoop of chocolate Trutein Whey Protetin with .5-1 tsp of nat PB, stirred into a little custard cup with enough hot water to make a thick pudding; devour! .......... Make this change for three days, and then assess how you feel. Fifty bucks says you won't miss the crackers or ice cream.

51? I got ya beat, babe. You only feel old because you've allowed yourself to lose focus of eating right, living healthy, and taking the best possible care of yourself. That can all be changed.

Starting today.

Get at it, woman. Time's a wastin'
Old 08-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #1396
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Okay. So. No job is too big. Start there, k?

Peri menopause. I'm there too. We shall overcome.

Energy: Let me know what supps you're taking, if any. How much sleep? How much water do you drink? What is a typical menu for you? Do you do any exercise at all, and if so, what and how often?

Nix the crackers. Nix the icecream. You can keep the cheese, just limit yourself to 2 ounces at first with that wine. Add 2-3 oz of roasted or grilledl chicken breast along with that cheese and wine. And drink one FULL/TALL glass of water BEFORE having any of the above. Later before bed, make yourself a cup of decaf green tea, with a dash of s/f Davinci's, and allow yourself to have one of the following: a) a square of 85% Lindt or Ghiradelli chocolate; or b) 1 scoop of chocolate Trutein Whey Protetin with .5-1 tsp of nat PB, stirred into a little custard cup with enough hot water to make a thick pudding; devour! .......... Make this change for three days, and then assess how you feel. Fifty bucks says you won't miss the crackers or ice cream.

51? I got ya beat, babe. You only feel old because you've allowed yourself to lose focus of eating right, living healthy, and taking the best possible care of yourself. That can all be changed.

Starting today.

Get at it, woman. Time's a wastin'
Okay, here goes:

Right now, the only supplement is B-12 and I just started that this week. Sleep? What is that? Lol. I haven't slept well in a really long time - can't remember the last time I slept thru the night. I've tried kavinace, melatonin, zquil, tylenol nite. Right now I'm having a hard time falling asleep and after a couple hours of sleep I start tossing and turning. Water - I do drink at least 6-8 glasses of water a day.

Menu: this is yesterday's:
B - 1/2 c cottage cheese with uncooked oats
L - small green salad, 2 oz ham on a bagel thin with 2 laughing cow lite cheese, apple
S - pretzels and rice krispies treat
D - wine, cheese and crackers
S - ice cream (small container - it's 190 cal) and another sweet thing, but I can't remember the name of it

Exercise - I had been wearing my pedometer and trying to get 10,000 steps, but haven't done that for a week or so. I can't do much with my arms right now -I have frozen shoulder and going to phys therapy for that. Altho, I don't have a problem raising my arms to the front, so I could do bicep curls.

You are absolutely right about losing focus. Have had a lot going on in my life, now it's time to put me first. I can do this and I am starting with dinner tonight.

Thank you!!!!!
Old 08-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #1397

Quote:
Okay, here goes:

Right now, the only supplement is B-12 and I just started that this week. Sleep? What is that? Lol. I haven't slept well in a really long time - can't remember the last time I slept thru the night. I've tried kavinace, melatonin, zquil, tylenol nite. Right now I'm having a hard time falling asleep and after a couple hours of sleep I start tossing and turning. Water - I do drink at least 6-8 glasses of water a day.

L - small green salad, 2 oz ham on a bagel thin with 2 laughing cow lite cheese, apple
S - ice cream (small container - it's 190 cal) and another sweet thing, but I can't remember the name of it

Exercise - I had been wearing my pedometer and trying to get 10,000 steps, but haven't done that for a week or so. I can't do much with my arms right now -I have frozen shoulder and going to phys therapy for that. Altho, I don't have a problem raising my arms to the front, so I could do bicep curls.

You are absolutely right about losing focus. Have had a lot going on in my life, now it's time to put me first. I can do this and I am starting with dinner tonight.

Thank you!!!!!
GREAT.

I just typed about seven paragraphs of stuff, and it poofed away. This happens to me on this website ALL.THE.TIME.

I'm gonna log off, type it in a Word doc, and then log back onto LCF and copy/paste your my response.

Stay tuned.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #1398

Quote:
Okay, here goes:

Thank you!!!!!
Okay. To start with, please consider taking the following supplements:

B complex
Vitamin D
Multivitamin
Magnesium
Potassium
Cinnamon
3000 mg fish oil
Chromium Picolinate
7Keto DHEA (very important for menopausal women!)

Sleeplessness
: Your level of activity and exercise has a lot to do with good rest. I always sleep much better when I am exercising regularly, particularly when that exercise includes strength training. I would seriously consider committing to 3-4 days of cardio, 30-45 mins per day (and that can be broken up morning and evening if necessary); and at least 2 days of strength training, working lower body muscle groups. This will not only promote better sleep, it will build muscle, boost metabolism, boost mood, boost body confidence, and will firm up that which gravity has taken captive. 

It will seem onerous at first, but you really do need to give it time. Habits form slowly, but they do STICK if we give it time. Once you begin feeling and seeing the benefits of adding exercise to your life, you will wonder why you waited so long. It just makes us feel SO much better. And who doesnít like to get a good nightís sleep?

When Iím training 3 days a week, 45 mins to an hour each session, I sleep LIKE A ROCK. Love it. Love, love, love it. I hit that bed and Iím goneÖ.ecstasy.

Meals:

Breakfast. You didnít say how much oats, but unless youíre strength training regularly, you donít really need a lot of complex carbs FOR NOW. Cut that back to no more than ľ to 1/3 c oats. Add a Tbs or 2 of whey protein to the cottage cheese to flavor it and boost the protein dose; and add bit of nat PB or roasted almonds for healthy fat and satiety.

Lunch:

Not bad, but you wanna shoot for 25 g of lean protein to go with that salad. Track your ham & cheese and see what you got. Keep the fat to 30-35 %. You want protein your first priority, a bit of fat for balance and satiety, and all the green veggies you want!

Snack: What? Lose the pretzels and rice krispie treats. yes, they're low fat (you've been brain-washed by WW rhetoric), but they serve no nutritional value whatsoever and will only cause blood sugar issues. Have a mid afternoon protein snack. Consider one of the following:

LC yogurt with a Tbs of Flax
Almonds
Boiled eggs
Lean meat (2-3 oz)
1 scoop whey protein, either as a shake or made into pudding*

Dinner: I addressed this in my earlier post. Again, I emphasize adding lean protein to this meal, cutting back on the cheese, and if you need crunch, chop up some raw veggies, or stir fry (with coconut oil) some green veggies with a sprinkle of chopped almonds. Remind yourself that you can have a scoop of chocolate & nat PB pudding before bed with decaf green teaóinstead of the ice cream.

Allow yourself to have the ice cream once a week. Look forward to that one day of indulgence for your ice cream and your crackers (reasonable portions)

Once you begin strength training, try to remember to have a whey protein shake or pudding or whatever within 30 mins of your workout.

I highly recommend that you try Trutein Whey Protein. It is AY-MAY-ZING stuff and I never grow tired of snacking on it in various forms. So smooth, creamy, rich and LOADED with nutrients. High quality protein! Worth the extra $.

This may seem like a lot of changes, but if you break it down, it really isnít. Dissect this info and take it one step at a time if you must. But I promise you that these changes will make a huge difference in how you feel, your appetite, your body image, your sleep patterns, and your overall health. Yes, you ARE WORTH IT. Itís time you put your needs first and take charge of what you see in that mirror. Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out. You take this ONE day at a time. There is no magic wand, no magic pill, no push-button overnight makeovers here. Turn it around one day at a time.

You can do this, Lynne. How bad do you want it?
Old 08-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #1399
Senior LCF Member

Hi Twyla,

Thanks for all the info! I have started taking some of your advice. I'll fill you in later with all the detail - am swamped at work right now, but wanted to check in real quick with you. I'll write more tonight or tomorrow.

Talk to you later!
Old 08-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #1400

Quote:
Hi Twyla,

Thanks for all the info! I have started taking some of your advice. I'll fill you in later with all the detail - am swamped at work right now, but wanted to check in real quick with you. I'll write more tonight or tomorrow.

Talk to you later!
Lynne, I get it! I've been really busy myself this week too. You should never feel the need to explain or apologize. We get busy and then we prioritize, getting to things as we can.

I was hoping to take tomorrow off, but I knew it was touch and go. I had a big job I'd been working on all week, and my goal was to get it finished, proofed and delivered by 3:30 pm. today so that I could go forward with my Friday off. I did not come up for air all day --- bam, bam, bam, work, work, work, as the clock ticked away. I thrive on challenges and tend to work better under pressure. I think I just like the excitement of it, the thrill seeker in me. And I got it done! With literally zero minutes to spare. I had to be out the door at 3:15 to make an appointment at 3:30. My office has been like a bee hive all day long! Thrilled with the sense of accomplishment and my clean plate, which allows me the luxury of taking tomorrow off and hopefully get a bit of me time... before the kickoff of the weekend. Literally and figuratively.

1. Son #3 has a football game Friday night; he's a sophomore, and he just may get some playing time. Must be there.

2. We leave early Saturday morning for Greensburg PA to spend a couple of days of the LDW with Son #2. We have tickets for the Pirates v Cardinals game on Sunday -- wooooohooooo --- and I can't wait! I haven't seen Gavin since July 4th, so it's a long-awaited visit. How I miss him. And I look forward to hearing about his new job and hanging out with his darling GF again.

3. We will have dinner with them after the Pirates game Sunday night, then head home because Son #3 has ANOTHER game Monday at 10:00 a.m. -- LABOR DAY??? REALLY, COACH? Yes. Really. It's a JV game, and he'll play most if not all of the game, so gotta be there. Hoping it's not so muggy.

This week has been a success with c-LEANing.... That's a cross between clean eating and the resulting leaning that follows. Twice to the gym, sprint intervals one morning, Callanetics once, and I'll be going to the gym tomorrow morning for leg/glute/cardio day, since I won't be getting to work out on Saturday or Sunday. I'm on a roll and I DON'T want to screw this up. TOM finally left the scene, and I'm feeling controlled and balanced and "cheerful" again. Hah! Goofy word, but it fits.

I was encouraged twice this week when out in public, I was referred to as "young lady" by complete strangers (one who happened to be approximately my age, and he was beyond helpful, maybe a bit over-friendly???) while conducting business interactions. It started me in a weird way, hearing those words ... And then it dawned on me: You know you're getting old(er) when you're flattered to be referred to as "young lady." It's good to know I'm still capable of rockin' it. Hard work comes full circle.

What's next on my agenda? How do I tackle the weekend ahead and stay on plan? As I think about the long drive to PA and back, I get a little nervous. I get bored when I'm traveling in a car and I tend to want to munch. I can't. I cannot do that. I will not undo my hard work this week. I wish I had someone I could text with when I was tempted to eat bad things, a "confession booth" of sorts, someone who could keep me encouraged and focused and calm, convincing me that I really am just bored and I don't want that crap. I wonder if there's an app for that?

Oddly enough, I do fine when I'm traveling solo. I am hardly tempted at all. But when others are around, I have a tendency to feel edgy for whatever reason ... not sure what THAT'S supposed to mean ... and I lose focus and all ability to reason. I've made a batch of protein muffins to take with me, along with a small sized cannister of Chocolate Trutein, nat PB, and almonds. I can do this. I can do this. I can do this. Said the "sassy" engine that could ...

And that will do it for now.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:04 AM   #1401
Senior LCF Member

Hi Twyla,

I can't believe you are going to Greensburg this weekend! I work in Greensburg and live about 20 minutes away! Small world!

I feel that I've done pretty good with eating. Yesterday's menu:
B - 1/2 c cottage chees with 1/4 c uncooked oatmeal, 2 cups coffee
L - steak salad, no fries, lite vinaigrette dressing
S - grapes, handful of walnuts
D - about 4 oz chicken, 2 oz cheese,
S - wine, 1 square dark chocolate (72% because didn't find 85% yet)

I had water before every meal plus my normal water. I plan on adding at least some of the supplements you suggest - I think I already have some of them.

I'm planning on starting exercise on Sunday with some strength training (lower body) and I want to get a walk in, too. (Now that I've said what I'm doing I have to do it, right?!).

Glad you were able to take today off - makes this a nice really long weekend! Enjoy your me time. My son and his family live in Michigan, so I understand you missing your son. How far of a trip is it for you? It takes us a little over 4 hours to see David.

Thank you again for your encouragement and for taking the time to give advice. I really appreciate it.

Have a great weekend!
Old 08-30-2013, 07:08 AM   #1402

Quote:
Hi Twyla,

I can't believe you are going to Greensburg this weekend! I work in Greensburg and live about 20 minutes away! Small world!

I feel that I've done pretty good with eating. Yesterday's menu:
B - 1/2 c cottage chees with 1/4 c uncooked oatmeal, 2 cups coffee
L - steak salad, no fries, lite vinaigrette dressing
S - grapes, handful of walnuts
D - about 4 oz chicken, 2 oz cheese,
S - wine, 1 square dark chocolate (72% because didn't find 85% yet)

I had water before every meal plus my normal water. I plan on adding at least some of the supplements you suggest - I think I already have some of them.

I'm planning on starting exercise on Sunday with some strength training (lower body) and I want to get a walk in, too. (Now that I've said what I'm doing I have to do it, right?!).

Glad you were able to take today off - makes this a nice really long weekend! Enjoy your me time. My son and his family live in Michigan, so I understand you missing your son. How far of a trip is it for you? It takes us a little over 4 hours to see David.

Thank you again for your encouragement and for taking the time to give advice. I really appreciate it.

Have a great weekend!
Lynne, good job on that menu, girl. Lookin MUCH better. How do you feel? Satisfied? Balanced? Start making notes in a food diary about how you feel with meals, sleep, exercise, etc. Let your body communicate with you. Get to know it. This synchronization becomes extremely important in getting the best bang out of your fitness & health efforts.

You work in Greenbsurg? NO KIDDING! He lives there, but he's currently working in Latrobe at Dino's Sports Bar & Restaurant. He's an asst mgr and working his way toward manager. He loves his job, and he's wanting to one day own his own sports bar & grill (and gym), so he's learning the ropes and enjoying this opportunity. He said that the Steelers train in Latrobe and the past month were at Dinos EVERY DAY ...

HOLD UP ... Zach is calling via skype

I'll be back!
Old 08-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #1403

... okay. Cool! Love skyping with Zach from Japan. Miss him sooo much.

But it's interesting that you work in Greensburg, and our son lives there! It is a small world.

He was excited at getting to meet and hang out with (so to speak) the Steelers when they'd come by Dino's every day while training in Latrobe. He was eating that up.

I'm glad to hear that you're making some changes with your diet and getting back to working out, and turning things around for your health and fitness. I want to help you in any way I can. Please keep me posted on your progress, or if there's anything I can specifically help you with, you know that I will.

I got home from the gym around 9:45 this morning, expecting to skype with Zach at 10.

It was a good leg/glute day. I'll share with you one of the supersets I did in case you want to try this.

I supersetted glute bridges (works glutes & hams) with single-leg DB romainian deadlifts. I do my bridges at the Smith machine so that I can load up the weight easier. I use 70 lbs on my glute bridges, lying perpendicular on a bench in front of the Smith machine. But you can start out doing bridges (first video) no weight, then add resistance with a plate (second video).

The woman in this video is demonstrating the SL-RD without DB's, and you can try this to get the hang of it, and then once your form is perfected, you can add DB's for resistance to make it more challenging. I'm currently using 25-35 lb DB's for these x 12-15 reps per set. Today I added a pulse at the bottom of the movement before raising up for a little extra burn. So basically you bend at the waist, back straight, head up, when you get to the bottom, you raise up slightly then back down, a pulse, then return to starting position. That pulse adds THE BURN.

Doing these two exercises back to back, no rest in between, makes it a superset -- a good one! Try these out and see if you like them. Do the two back to back with no rest, then rest a minute or so; then do another superset; repeat for a total of 3 or 4 sets.

Today, I did squats, planks, glute bridges, romainian SLDB lifts, and then ended out with supersets of weighted leg lifts and hanging ab crunches. All exercises were done in supersets. Great workout. Keeps the heartrate up and torches more calories while still working the muscle.

Okay...that will do it for now. Time to get busy on the day's agenda.

Later on.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #1404
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I was encouraged twice this week when out in public, I was referred to as "young lady" by complete strangers (one who happened to be approximately my age, and he was beyond helpful, maybe a bit over-friendly???) while conducting business interactions. It started me in a weird way, hearing those words ... And then it dawned on me: You know you're getting old(er) when you're flattered to be referred to as "young lady." It's good to know I'm still capable of rockin' it. Hard work comes full circle.

What's next on my agenda? How do I tackle the weekend ahead and stay on plan? As I think about the long drive to PA and back, I get a little nervous. I get bored when I'm traveling in a car and I tend to want to munch. I can't. I cannot do that. I will not undo my hard work this week. I wish I had someone I could text with when I was tempted to eat bad things, a "confession booth" of sorts, someone who could keep me encouraged and focused and calm, convincing me that I really am just bored and I don't want that crap. I wonder if there's an app for that?

Oddly enough, I do fine when I'm traveling solo. I am hardly tempted at all. But when others are around, I have a tendency to feel edgy for whatever reason ... not sure what THAT'S supposed to mean ... and I lose focus and all ability to reason. I've made a batch of protein muffins to take with me, along with a small sized cannister of Chocolate Trutein, nat PB, and almonds. I can do this. I can do this. I can do this. Said the "sassy" engine that could ...
I wonder if you're an introvert like me? I get overwhelmed when I have to be too long with anyone other than my husband or my daughters. I need time to reconnect with me and collect myself. That's why I write and have a blog. I bet bet bet you're the same way.

If you care to you can totally text me. I'll PM my phone number. I'd love to help as you've helped me millions of times. I'll be at Ikea tomorrow picking out office furniture for my new office (whooooha! Finally!) and could use distraction. Please! Let me help. And apologies for horning in here girls!
Old 08-31-2013, 05:01 AM   #1405

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyGG View Post
I wonder if you're an introvert like me? I get overwhelmed when I have to be too long with anyone other than my husband or my daughters. I need time to reconnect with me and collect myself. That's why I write and have a blog. I bet bet bet you're the same way.

If you care to you can totally text me. I'll PM my phone number. I'd love to help as you've helped me millions of times. I'll be at Ikea tomorrow picking out office furniture for my new office (whooooha! Finally!) and could use distraction. Please! Let me help. And apologies for horning in here girls!
You have a good theory, but I wanna add to it. YOu know what MY hunch is? We're both Geminis, and that means we're moody and/or "twin personalities." Jekyll/Hyde. You get the point.

So there are times when I play the extrovert, all wild & crazy and lovin' it up, and then I morph into the "other me," and that's the introvert side, the side that needs to hang out with herself, blog, think, sleep, dream, play, have me time --- the list goes on.

So YES, YOU HAVE IT RIGHT. We have an intrinsic need to reconnect with ourselves when "the clock strikes ____," and we just aren't satisifed until we do.

You are so smart, woman. Seriously. I'm jealous of your smarts. And you're beautiful. And hilarious. And I only wish we lived closer.

Thanks for the texting offer ??? SERIOUSLY. I won't wear you out (I Pm'd you back).... You'll be my conscience. YOu don't even need to text back, seriously, don't feel the need. If you do, do it when it's convenient. It's all good.

And you are NEVER horning in. Not evah.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:44 AM   #1406
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
You have a good theory, but I wanna add to it. You know what MY hunch is? We're both Geminis, and that means we're moody and/or "twin personalities." Jekyll/Hyde. You get the point.
I'm a Cancer, but with Gemini rising or however that works since I'm right on the cusp, the first day of Cancer - this makes a lot of sense to me. Get this tPretty - both of my parents were/are Geminis! I have a long, lost love that was Gemini. I love the free-spirit of a Gemini. That is you to a tPretty! lol

Quote:
So YES, YOU HAVE IT RIGHT. We have an intrinsic need to reconnect with ourselves when "the clock strikes ____," and we just aren't satisifed until we do.
Oh hell yes to this! I get exactly like you described if I don't get my down time. Edgy and, for me, a little anxious. I long for my bedroom or computer where I can disconnect.

Quote:
You are so smart, woman. Seriously. I'm jealous of your smarts. And you're beautiful. And hilarious. And I only wish we lived closer.
I wish we did too! Pup is seriously sick of hearing me talk about you. And I am not worthy of these compliments! Smooches and right back at you.

Quote:
Thanks for the texting offer??? SERIOUSLY. I won't wear you out (I Pm'd you back).... You'll be my conscience. You don't even need to text back, seriously, don't feel the need. If you do, do it when it's convenient. It's all good.
Oh yay to this! You might be sorry! I am loving this support idea and will be needing it way more than you. I can't wait for my first text!

Again, have the best weekend woman!
Old 09-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #1407

Quote:
I'm a Cancer, but with Gemini rising or however that works since I'm right on the cusp, the first day of Cancer - this makes a lot of sense to me. Get this tPretty - both of my parents were/are Geminis! I have a long, lost love that was Gemini. I love the free-spirit of a Gemini. That is you to a tPretty! lol

Oh hell yes to this! I get exactly like you described if I don't get my down time. Edgy and, for me, a little anxious. I long for my bedroom or computer where I can disconnect.

Oh, a Cancer! Okay. I was mistaken. And it's comforting to be understood on the need-my-space, back-off-please eccentricities. This trait is frequently misinterpreted by others, leaving me feeling culpable. You get this. Yay!

So I'm jumping in here with an update and report on my weekend. Accountability can be a bit painful, can't it?

My weekend started off great, but Monday was a bit of a failure. I did not sleep well Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights, so that put me at a disadvantage on feeling my best and feeling rested. When I'm tired, I do not think and act responsibly. I have often misinterpreted the signs of fatigue. They masquerade as hunger and cravings. And if I'm not on my toes, ready for the subterfuge, I get slammed and fall flat on my face.

That is what happened to me yesterday. We didn't arrive home from PA until 1 a.m. The drive home is never fun, but esp at that hour. And at this point I was already running on a sleep deficit. So I woke up early Monday (reluctantly) to get showered and ready in time for my son's football game. I had a bite of lean protein with a cup of coffee and scrambled out the door, since we were already running late. I did not pack extra water or healthy snacks. In was incredibly hot on those metal bleachers in the direct sun, no clouds, and no breeze. The sweat was pouring down my back and I felt scorched. I had drank all my water by halftime, and no food packed, my tummy was growling, and I was sleepy on top of that. I couldn't wait to get somewhere for a cold drink and FOOD! I ended up overeating and grazing all day yesterday from that bad start. Way too many cals AND carbs. And totally exhausted. So no workout to help minimize damage. Basically, no workout since Friday afternoon!

When I don't get to work out, it catches up with me and the fallout is never good. Exercise keeps me sane both physically AND mentally. I lose control when I don't get it.

But we had a GREAT weekend with my son, going to the game, eating out together, hanging out. It was all good. He always serves to inspire me when I'm with him -- he's now in a 34 waist size, and has not lost any more scale weight from the last time I saw him when he was in a 36 waist. He was wearing a 40 waist size during his college football season (needed the extra bulk then). He's jacked about the 34. It's a new low for him.

So I had a few glitches in this mission over the course of the weekend, yes. But really only one bad day, Monday. I probably had too many beers on Sunday (between the game and afterward at dinner), but otherwise, I behaved very well. AND I attribute much of that adherence to plan to having the luxury of text reminders from you, DGG! There's power in the human touch, even via texting! So cool! I thank you, Sistah!

So I can mitigate for yesterday. I'll make up for this today. The plan will be very clean eating and 60 full mins of cardio. My strength/energy isn't back yet, but I expect that it will be by tomorrow, and so I'll plan a gym workout by then. I've already gotten 20 mins of cardio in this morning. 40 tonight to catch up. I plan to do some Callanetics to whip everything back into place. Nothing else can stretch me out, elongate and limber me up while still challenging my muscles -- like Callanetics. It's the best, especially after sitting for too long or for too many days.

Okay. Back to work, T. You screwed around too much yesterday. You got some extra sleep this morning. Snap out of it and pay attention. Plan your meals this week. Get some fresh air and cardio, pump some iron, and chase after that which makes you feel your best. Find your way home...and then keep on keeping on!

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 09-03-2013 at 10:49 AM..
Old 09-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #1408
Major LCF Poster!

Aaaaah beer! I NEVER drink beer anymore. I have been thinking about it now and then. Thankfully fall is coming and summer is when I want one.

I'm still at the office right now, but I'm following your lead and going to plan for the rest of the week.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:40 AM   #1409

Quote:
Aaaaah beer! I NEVER drink beer anymore. I have been thinking about it now and then. Thankfully fall is coming and summer is when I want one.

I'm still at the office right now, but I'm following your lead and going to plan for the rest of the week.
Yes. YES. Planning is EVERYTHING when it comes to making it happen or falling on your face. We learn. And the pain of that lesson sneaks up on us now and then to remind us how relevant it really is.

I've tracked the last two days -- in-your-face, T, no-escaping-the-cold-hard-black-and-white-facts kind of tracking. THAT'S being accountable. I had to do it when I was prepping. I was making consistent progress. Duh! Imagine THAT.

So. The last two days I've tracked everything that has gone in my mouth and I've stayed within 1450-1500 cals. No gym, just cardio. This morning I'm hitting the gym.

But the tracking continues...

As does the planning. I'm taking protein muffins and a half ounce of almopnds with me (I'll be out of town, stuck taking a depo in a doc's office for .... ? Not sure how long.) Bathroom breaks are sometimes the only chance you get for any quick bite of fuel.

Keep this up... keep going ... keep going ...

Now get to the gym.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #1410
Major LCF Poster!

That is a gorgeous shot of you.

Planning. I better get that on the list in ink.