LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #1231
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by h82bl8 View Post
OK Twyla you can give me a good kick in the you know what!! I have read through page 22 of your first journal and writing down your cal, carbs, prot, etc and also reading about your carb "reloading " experiences. Well lo and behold I found a copy of the TNT Diet by Jef Volek that I bought 2 years ago and used it maybe for a couple of weeks because I just did not get the hang of it. NOW, with your explanations, I get it!! THANKS!!
Well-ah-right-then! I'm gonna take that as a compliment.

When I think back to that time of my journey, how scared I was of carb loading, and how SURPRISED I was at how effective it could be when strength training, it makes me smile big inside and out. Good memories, valuable lessons learned.

WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #1232

Quote:
COFFEE- I need and crave it every morning. I am like you when it comes to the way I like it served- never, ever black!! Once it passes through my lips the day has started and all is well in the world!!
And WHY is it that the FIRST cup always tastes better than all the rest?

Old 04-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #1233
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: h82bl8
Stats: 220/170
WOE: what works for me
Start Date: Apr. 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
And WHY is it that the FIRST cup always tastes better than all the rest?

h82bl8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #1234

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Yep T, I hate flavored coffee, yak, but I do like my splenda in it, I sort of refuse to give up the half and half cause it is just delicious, I tried the Fat Free, OMG that is gross and I figure that corn syrup and stuff that is in it is bad for you anyway. I will not mess with my coffee, that is one thing off limits, LOL And it is so true that first cup is always the best!!! And it's always better if like Tony fixes it and brings it to me, LOL I dont know why but it is!
T- I am going on 8 weeks of slugsville here, I am so ready to tear it up soon, I think MOnday he might let me do light arm weights, I will do as he says but man it is hard, I have to be so careful with the eating, ughghg.
I have a friend in England she knows I lost weight doing low carb, well she has been traveling and gained a few well she wrote me about this terrific diet sweeping across England, the Keto Diet, LOL I said yeah its low carb, and she was like oh yeah! LOL

So what's shaking T, what are you focusing on body wise, anything special? Did you decide on any shows? I know you always have something up your sleeve, any vacation plans for the summer with the boys?
Old 04-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #1235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
Yep T, I hate flavored coffee, yak, but I do like my splenda in it, I sort of refuse to give up the half and half cause it is just delicious, I tried the Fat Free, OMG that is gross and I figure that corn syrup and stuff that is in it is bad for you anyway. I will not mess with my coffee, that is one thing off limits, LOL And it is so true that first cup is always the best!!! And it's always better if like Tony fixes it and brings it to me, LOL I dont know why but it is!
T- I am going on 8 weeks of slugsville here, I am so ready to tear it up soon, I think MOnday he might let me do light arm weights, I will do as he says but man it is hard, I have to be so careful with the eating, ughghg.

I have a friend in England she knows I lost weight doing low carb, well she has been traveling and gained a few well she wrote me about this terrific diet sweeping across England, the Keto Diet, LOL I said yeah its low carb, and she was like oh yeah! LOL

So what's shaking T, what are you focusing on body wise, anything special? Did you decide on any shows? I know you always have something up your sleeve, any vacation plans for the summer with the boys?
Keto diet, great NEW diet, huh?

It will be a relief for you, I know, to get your body in motion again. I can only imagine how you must feel from having to sit still and remain inactive for this long!

Focus for me? Mostly just trying to lean out a bit for bikini/beach time. My husband and I will be taking my youngest son and his friend to our usual vacation getaway (Marco Island) in mid June, so I need to really watch between now and then. My son will enjoy himself far more having someone closer to his age with us on vacation.

My husband and I may not get to relax quite as much as we're used to, since being responsible for someone eles's child puts us on elevated alert, so to speak. My son knows the rules, knows the limits, the boundaries, the curfews, etc., but his friend does not. Supervision wise, my husband plays golf some while there, so I’ll trade my “shift” while he’s golfing for his “shift” while I’m hanging out with the women in lah-lah land in the afternoons – my fav time on the beach!

It will be here before I know it -- Can't wait. We look forward to seeing our friends there each year, our "other" family.

Heading to my son's track meet now, which is just a couple of miles away from the courthouse. So I'm headed out here in a bit. Hoping the rain holds off for tonight as they forecasted.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #1236
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Have an amazing weekend Twyla. Remember you are my inspiration.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:12 AM   #1237

Quote:
Yesterday morning's cardio was five mins warmup brisk walk, then intervals of 45/30 (jogging-walking) all the way to the steep hill into our subdivision. At the hill I sprinted up the hill for 30 secs, and walked down for 45, repeating that for 8 intervals, then resumed 45/30 sprint or jog interals, zigzagging the streets back through my neighborhood for a total of 35 mins.

I have done this cardio pattern twice so far this week. Tues I alternated elliptical with Turbo Jam's Cardio Party workout, for a total of 40 mins.

Gym yesterday was legs. Loving the exhaustion, both to the muscle and aerobically. Hard at it for a full hour, and as kicked as I was, I felt like I was on top of the world. A true "Rocky" moment. Looking forward to many more.

No gym today.

Juggling life, and work, and family, and commitments is no easy task, but somehow I'm managing. The last three nights I've slept like a ROCK. Such a good thing. My body just SHUTS DOWN. And strangely, the last two mornings, I've woken up just minutes before my alarm went off. Circadian response at its best:

"Circadian rhythms allow organisms
to anticipate and prepare for precise and regular environmental changes."

This seems to be both the conscious and the subconscious undercurrent of my mind.

Morning cardio awaits.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #1238
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bronwyn
Hi Twyla! As always, I enjoy your recent post. Just wanted you to know that today is Day 3 of my 4-5 times per week! However, I've gained 2 lbs of water and I think it's because I'm not drinking enough fluids after getting home from work -- I drink 2 liters of water at work but because DH is not eating dinner, I'm not eating, either. That means I'm not drinking additional fluids. Need to change that so as not to be dehydrated. Does this means that my muscles are holding onto whatever fluid I have to compensate for the more intense (consistent) exercise?

Have a wonderful afternoon and evening!
Bronwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #1239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronwyn View Post
Hi Twyla! As always, I enjoy your recent post. Just wanted you to know that today is Day 3 of my 4-5 times per week! However, I've gained 2 lbs of water and I think it's because I'm not drinking enough fluids after getting home from work -- I drink 2 liters of water at work but because DH is not eating dinner, I'm not eating, either. That means I'm not drinking additional fluids. Need to change that so as not to be dehydrated. Does this means that my muscles are holding onto whatever fluid I have to compensate for the more intense (consistent) exercise?

Have a wonderful afternoon and evening!
Bronwyn, just for the record, that recent post was actually just a REpost of one earlier in my journal, underscoring the need to PREPARE when trying to accomplish short and long-term goals. Just a reminder kind of thing.

Day 3 so far this week! There ya go, girlfriend.

Yes, you're likely retaining water. Do you like green tea? That is a great diuretic, and it helps with healthy antioxidants too. I usu drink 2-3 cups a day, in addition to my 80+ ounces of water quota. Definitely drink that water. Get a really cool, fun-n-jazzy water bottle that really stands out. It will serve as a VISUAL reminder to you to drink that water. It helps in SO MANY ways.

I've lately been enjoying a big "cocktail" daily also. I have a shaker cup from Netrition, not sure how big it is, maybe 20-25 ounces or so? I add 1 tsp acai berry powder, two cups green tea, 2 tsp lemon juice, and 1 grape Crystal Lite straw, then fill the rest all the way up with ice cubes. I sip on that throughout the day. It's loaded with antioxidants and it helps to keep me happy and satiated and cleansed. Might wanna try it out...?
Old 05-04-2012, 04:58 AM   #1240

T- had to get caught up, your trip sounds fun it is so beautiful there in Marco Island I have not been there in ages!! It will make the trip better for you and hub to that son has a buddy, LOL But I know what you mean, always more worry about someone else's child.

I finally got cleared to go back to the gym, and OMG I feel better, I said all that sitting around was making it worse, but he thinks the stump inside is healed I have to go easy, yeah right, I am sweating and loving life again! Yesterday they have a new class cardio fusion, loved it, jumping around and free weights and lots of lunges and squats I am so sore this morning, 8 weeks of inactivity not good! My mood is so improved too, losing my job is really sucking, but I have to admit that I love having time to go to the gym in the morning! I would so love to be with the kids but I know I have to find a job. Since the house is still listed we have a showing today but with me not working we will not qualify for enough mortgage for the house we wanted, ughghg. Still did not see my trainer, have gotten 2 weird texts and that is all I know she and her BF of 11 years split up, the gal at the gym said she is hardly there only 2 or 3 people to train she is doing another job, I cant really afford it now anyways with losing my job!

OK ramble over, LOL Have a good weekend T!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #1241

Quote:
T- had to get caught up, your trip sounds fun it is so beautiful there in Marco Island I have not been there in ages!! It will make the trip better for you and hub to that son has a buddy, LOL But I know what you mean, always more worry about someone else's child.

Yes, the trip will be better for everyone, having his friend along. I am counting the days. I feel like I've left a piece of my heart at Marco Island, and when I return there, I'm made complete again. Such beauty and happiness there. I want to share it with everyone!

I finally got cleared to go back to the gym, and OMG I feel better, I said all that sitting around was making it worse, but he thinks the stump inside is healed I have to go easy, yeah right, I am sweating and loving life again! Yesterday they have a new class cardio fusion, loved it, jumping around and free weights and lots of lunges and squats I am so sore this morning, 8 weeks of inactivity not good! My mood is so improved too, losing my job is really sucking, but I have to admit that I love having time to go to the gym in the morning! I would so love to be with the kids but I know I have to find a job. Since the house is still listed we have a showing today but with me not working we will not qualify for enough mortgage for the house we wanted, ughghg. Still did not see my trainer, have gotten 2 weird texts and that is all I know she and her BF of 11 years split up, the gal at the gym said she is hardly there only 2 or 3 people to train she is doing another job, I cant really afford it now anyways with losing my job! OK ramble over, LOL Have a good weekend T!
Woo-hoo on the clearance for working out again. I'm glad you're getting UP and at em, but do please be careful and REALLY listen to your body. Think of that...8 weeks of nothing...your body IS healing still, you know. You don't have to start in fifth gear, girlfriend. LOL

I'm really sorry to hear that you've lost your job. It sounds like there might be a silver lining in that scenario. At least I hope so for you and your family and your son. As for the house thing, I'm hopeful for you that doors will open in all directions so that you guys can find a prospective buyer at just the right time, even if it means renting a place temporarily with things in storage until you can find the perfect house. It will all work out. There is a BIGGER plan in all of this.

Enjoy the time off with your son for now. Pamper yourself. Dig being a "kept" woman for a while. LOL

Lifestyles of the ____________. Have fun with that one.

Hope your weekend is good too. I'm headed to the gym in the morning. I haven't been there for a few days, having been covered up with a zillion other things. Very busy week each evening this week. Gonna knock it out tomorrow and get recharged.

I was inspired when I read this article today in an old Elle magazine. Quoting Kristanna Loken, the actress playing the cyborg villainess in Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines:

Regarding her training for the part, having shed 19 pounds of fat and adding 10 pounds of muscle to her 5'11 frame in less than eight months...

""To get that very lean, cut up look, you have to vary your routine so that the body can't cheat..."

Loken's trainer pushing her with high intensity intervals, jumping rope, weight lifting, versa-climbing, and running stairs with a weighted vest, she found herself checking the scale for weight gain. "It's interesting, as a woman you always try to be as tiny as you can, but I actually loved seeing myself get bigger and buffer...I'd see all these well-known actresses at the gym, all trying to get smaller, meanwhile I was bragging that I'd put on another pound of muscle."

I N S P I R I N G

Old 05-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #1242

T- no kidding, I would gladly take the scale going up if it were solid muscle, I am not going to freak that the scale is going up, I am hoping its all the activity! Although my tummy looks less swollen than it has. I was going to go to spin class but I slept in and that felt good, I went to this women's networking thing last night, you know as many times as I woke up and thought ughgh I dont want to go to work it sucks when you do and I swore I would never be dependent on a man again after my ex. So I saw my aunt last night and she owed me money for some hair stuff I got her, so I am tkaing $20 and betting all long shot trifectas on the Derby today, LOL That is my employment plan, win about a quarter million and not work, LOL We have a really good Mexican place I am taking my low carb tortillas and having them make us shrimp tacos to watch the Derby. I am being careful with the eating, it is crazy how getting this tummy fixed people think I have lost like 20-30 pounds, it really is keeping me on track though all this hard work and hard recovery there is no way any junk is passing my lips and letting it get bad again! Ughgh now if only I could get on to losing some more weight I swear my bod just doesn't want to let it go, I am anxious to have all those hormone tests done with the endocrinologist and see if they are whacked!

Anyways, have an enjoyable weekend T!!
Old 05-07-2012, 06:37 AM   #1243

Quote:
T- no kidding, I would gladly take the scale going up if it were solid muscle, I am not going to freak that the scale is going up, I am hoping its all the activity! Although my tummy looks less swollen than it has. I was going to go to spin class but I slept in and that felt good, I went to this women's networking thing last night, you know as many times as I woke up and thought ughgh I dont want to go to work it sucks when you do and I swore I would never be dependent on a man again after my ex. So I saw my aunt last night and she owed me money for some hair stuff I got her, so I am tkaing $20 and betting all long shot trifectas on the Derby today, LOL That is my employment plan, win about a quarter million and not work, LOL We have a really good Mexican place I am taking my low carb tortillas and having them make us shrimp tacos to watch the Derby. I am being careful with the eating, it is crazy how getting this tummy fixed people think I have lost like 20-30 pounds, it really is keeping me on track though all this hard work and hard recovery there is no way any junk is passing my lips and letting it get bad again! Ughgh now if only I could get on to losing some more weight I swear my bod just doesn't want to let it go, I am anxious to have all those hormone tests done with the endocrinologist and see if they are whacked!

Anyways, have an enjoyable weekend T!!
Amber, you have a lot on your plate. It's probably a good thing to stay busy, though. When I get idle I tend to think on things that upset or worry me, and when I'm busy or distracted, it serves to lift me up and keep me moving forward, kwim?

Hope you have a good week, good news, good vibes. -- All Good.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #1244
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Amber, you have a lot on your plate. It's probably a good thing to stay busy, though. When I get idle I tend to think on things that upset or worry me, and when I'm busy or distracted, it serves to lift me up and keep me moving forward, kwim?

Hope you have a good week, good news, good vibes. -- All Good.
ITA Sometimes when I get idle my thoughts go back to things I wish I could forget.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #1245
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lola001
Stats: 68.2/67.1/50
WOE: Atkins 72 post preggy
Start Date: begin 15 April 2009
Hi Twyla- love ya!
Thanks for the inspiration. I plan to use my journal for inspiration this time around instead of focusing just on food in and exercise!
You are look so fab!
lola001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:57 AM   #1246

Hey T hope you had a good weekend, and a good week ahead! I did not win on the Derby, LOL But I saw my trainer, oh it was good to catch up she has a mess of things on her plate with her break up and some serious money issues, but we had a really big chat yesterday and this morning we are doing that cardio class together, so I feel really good that we were able to reconnect, I guess some people sort of retreat when stress hits and dont blab it all out there like I do, LOL
Old 05-08-2012, 05:55 AM   #1247

Quote:
ITA Sometimes when I get idle my thoughts go back to things I wish I could forget.
Yes, it's sort of my autopilot reaction to self-preservation. When life brings hurting or hardships, I do far better by staying distracted, both mentally and physically. I try to smother out what hurts with distractions that bring me joy, strength, laughter, light to my life.

It's my way of handling things. And I realize that this can be both good and bad, because depending on what's bothering us, never addressing the issue head on, embracing it, we run the risk of never healing. So I guess it becomes a balancing act, depending on the issue.

Being a rather private person, however, over time I've gotten pretty good at maintaining "control" on the outside, regardless of what is going on in the inside. We're all different. It's what makes the world go 'round.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 05-08-2012 at 06:03 AM..
Old 05-08-2012, 05:58 AM   #1248

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola001 View Post
Hi Twyla- love ya!
Thanks for the inspiration. I plan to use my journal for inspiration this time around instead of focusing just on food in and exercise!
You are look so fab!
Lola, my girl, love ya back. Makes me happy seeing you here again. It's a healthy approach you're taking, using your journal for inspiration. Whatever works. So many ways to gather inspiration and internalize it to make it work for us.

And thank you.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:01 AM   #1249

Quote:
Hey T hope you had a good weekend, and a good week ahead! I did not win on the Derby, LOL But I saw my trainer, oh it was good to catch up she has a mess of things on her plate with her break up and some serious money issues, but we had a really big chat yesterday and this morning we are doing that cardio class together, so I feel really good that we were able to reconnect, I guess some people sort of retreat when stress hits and dont blab it all out there like I do, LOL
Amber, sorry about the Derby disappointment. I was in Louisville when they were gearing up for the Derby, attending a competition purely as a spectator. Loved networking with like-minded athletes and fitness enthusiasts. Louisville is SUCH a fun city. Derby merchandise everywhere we looked -- really beautiful things among the displays.

Sounds like your trainer/friend needs you as much as you need her. It's good that you guys got to spend some time together "outside of the gym."
Old 05-08-2012, 06:37 AM   #1250

It's nice getting a chance to sleep in a little later this morning, being off for the election primary. That worked out great, given that we were out very late last night out of town, supporting our son at his last track meet of the season. He placed first and set a PR in one of his events, the long jump. He's made great gains this year, and I'm quite proud of him. He did well in his other three team events, and his school performed very well in overall meet results.

He's grown a lot in a year's time. The first shot was track season 2011, the second shot 2012. It amazes me how tall he's grown so quickly, and the amount of LBM he has built just since having begun lifting seriously and training with his coach this past winter. This really excites me to see him excel.

I plan to hit the gym today, grill up some chicken for meals this week, vote, grocery shopping, and just catch up some things around the house. It's raining out; that's okay with me. Rain is good sometimes. I'll try to get a run in tomorrow morning. No time for gym again until Thursday.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 05-08-2012 at 06:54 AM..
Old 05-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #1251

One of my most recent new downloads from Amazon for my cardio playlist (seems to work for lifting too!)...LOVE THIS!

Old 05-09-2012, 04:22 AM   #1252
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kmcentire
Stats: 223/192/175
Good Morning Twyla...Well I was able to do a little with my hands Monday at the gym.

I did some lunges, squats, and step ups holding...HOLDING a 7.5lb weight in each hand. I know that doesn't sound like much, but it's huge for me since I was not able to do this for ~2months!!! I have truly missed going to the gym. I have been going off and on since breaking my finger, but not faithfully like had been doing.

I do have a question, I know that you get tired of questions, but I know that you know because you have done your home work. I am 195+/- and I know that I need to loss weight. My questions is, can you lose weight and gain muscle at the same time? A trainer at the gym told me that you could, but...it would be some work and dedication. He told me to do about 150g protein, 100g carbs, and 50g of fat...? He said to eat the carbs early. He asked me what I was looking for. I told him that I am NOT focused on a number on the scale...flat stomach, non jiggly inner thighs, ripped arms (or Twyla arms, but he doesn't know you....) and just to look good is what I want. THanks so much for all of your help, encouragement, and knowledge!!!

Congratulations on your son's accomplishments!! I know that you are so proud. My daughter is playing softball and was actually able to hit the ball and make it to 1st base Monday night and you would have thought that she had just signed a contract for millions of dollars... She has never played or ever been exposed to ball....

Hope you have a great day and thanks again!!!
Old 05-09-2012, 05:43 AM   #1253

Oh T, wow he did get big you must be so proud of him!!! Cool you were in Louisville! You know my friend she did the Beverly International show in KY last month, I think she finished in the top 3, not bad for a 54 year old she is looking fierce I am so proud of her!!!I am loving working out again, I did push ups!!! It hurts being in plant position for too much but I figure I gotta start and just do it a few a day even! I am loving my new class I hope I can lose some weight, I am like Kristi clinging to stay under 200 I gotta plenty of meat to spare I dont know why we cant lose it!!!

Kristi we are in this one together!!!! I would say try it and see what happens, I am doing more cardio then I was before surgery I do think we need it!

New Journal T
Wonder Woman in Onederland
Old 05-09-2012, 06:30 AM   #1254

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcentire View Post
Good Morning Twyla...Well I was able to do a little with my hands Monday at the gym.

I did some lunges, squats, and step ups holding...HOLDING a 7.5lb weight in each hand. I know that doesn't sound like much, but it's huge for me since I was not able to do this for ~2months!!! I have truly missed going to the gym. I have been going off and on since breaking my finger, but not faithfully like had been doing.

I do have a question..............

Hey, Kristi. I am happy to help you and try to answer some of your questions from my personal experience and perspective, but I'm in court, getting ready to commence a jury trial (second day) and short on time.

I'll try to get back to your questions on my lunch hour, K?

Hey, Amber!

Gotta run for now.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:57 AM   #1255
Senior LCF Member

Sounds GREAT Twyla!!!!! Thanks so much!!!
kmcentire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:57 AM   #1256

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcentire View Post

I do have a question, I know that you get tired of questions, but I know that you know because you have done your home work. I am 195+/- and I know that I need to loss weight. My questions is, can you lose weight and gain muscle at the same time? A trainer at the gym told me that you could, but...it would be some work and dedication. He told me to do about 150g protein, 100g carbs, and 50g of fat...? He said to eat the carbs early. He asked me what I was looking for. I told him that I am NOT focused on a number on the scale...flat stomach, non jiggly inner thighs, ripped arms (or Twyla arms, but he doesn't know you....) and just to look good is what I want. THanks so much for all of your help, encouragement, and knowledge!!!

Congratulations on your son's accomplishments!! I know that you are so proud. My daughter is playing softball and was actually able to hit the ball and make it to 1st base Monday night and you would have thought that she had just signed a contract for millions of dollars... She has never played or ever been exposed to ball....

Okay. (Whew, as a side note, the boards ... are they REALLY slow today or what?)

I'm not gonna proof my response because I'm short on time, so overlook mistakes/typos!

Kristin, first, about the lunges, squats, etc., with the 7 lb DB, yes, that is GREAT. No scoffing from me. You will reach a point eventually where after doing 15 reps with a 7 lb DB that you are hardly winded, and you will know that you should probably increase your weight at that time. Everyone has a starting point, and as we grow stronger, we accommodate. So BRAVO for you!

My answer to your Q: Yes and no. Technically you have to be in a calorie surplus, eating more than your body is burning, to actually build/gain significant muscle mass. (Bulking) But you would also have to be lifting very heavy and very frequently.

However, I believe that it is possible to build/maintain lean body mass while trying to burn fat. I have experienced this at least twice, the first time being when I learned to overcome my fear of very low carb diets and began testing waters with the BFFM program (Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle). Right after that was when I met my good friend Btinc and he was able to teach me valuable, valuable information, patiently "holding my hand" as I gained insight and knowledge from him. I was able to increase my lean body mass and burn fat, the result being losing inches and recomping my body, smaller clothes sizes. I didn’t see a huge difference on the scale. In fact there were times when I’d go WEEKS with no changes on the scale, despite strict focus to diet and disciplined, frequent workouts (combining weight training AND cardio), but I lost inches, which is TOTALLY MORE IMPORTANT than a number on the scalel, as you yourself have apparently discovered for yourself.

I experienced the same thing when I was trying to BUILD for my competition. I needed to build my back and upper abs, but I also needed to strip fat in other places, mainly thighs and glutes. So with a careful diet, cardio and targeted lifting, I was able to both build and burn in that 12-week period. Changed my body remarkably, yet only lost about 10-12 lbs total in that 12-week period.

Your meal plan looks pretty good with this personal caveat –- I’m not a nutritionist nor a trainer, just speaking from experience. On days that you are not weight training, I would keep your carbs low, say 50 or below, and if you get hungry up your protein first, fat second. On days you lift, the 100 carbs is fine.

Weight training burns the most body fat after the workout. Cardio training burns the most fat during the workout. The real fat burning value in weight training is the increased metabolic rate after the workout. Building more lean mass increases your metabolic rate. So you will be burning fat by combining both forms of training.

As for what you’re ‘after’ in terms of the look you want, you would have to work much harder at getting “ripped arms” as you put it, and that would require more frequent training and with more focus on strategic splits throughout the week. For now, I’d just keep your workouts to full body workouts on days you lift, working a little of both upper and body each workout. Then at some point you may decide to switch to splits if you’re after more definition or growth.

So keeping your reps in the 8-12 range is the most efficient way to build lean mass. On days you do not lift, you can go ahead and do cardio if you have the time and that will help to enhance the fat burning over the course of the week, and in fact, is good for people who have stubborn body fat and need that extra fat burning edge. I've found both early morning fasted cardio as well as 20-minute HIIT cardio to be helpful in that regard. (Never do HIIT fasted)

I hope this helped to answer your questions. Again, not an authority, but I do have personal experience and I'm sharing that empirical knowledge and insight.

Keep me posted on your progress as you work your way back to being active again after your setback. I know you're excited. I am happy for you and look forward to hearing about your journey.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:48 AM   #1257

Quote:
You know my friend she did the Beverly International show in KY last month, I think she finished in the top 3, not bad for a 54 year old she is looking fierce I am so proud of her!!!
Awesome! Good for her!
I'd love to talk to her sometime.
I have great respect for older women willing to put
in the time,
hard work and discipline to achieve like goals.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:51 AM   #1258

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcentire

Sorry, Kristi, didn't have time yesterday to fully comment on your post. Swamped all day. But thank you; yes, very proud.

Your daughter's spotlight moment is remarkable too. It's those moments that drive them and uplift their confidence to become all that they're
meant to be.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:42 AM   #1259

T- yeah I agree that BFFM man I didn't lose much weight but I sure lost inches and that was when I was really running too, so that is why I still think that is a good plan for sure! I don't know what kind of plan I am on now, trying to watch fat and carbs and just eat healthy basically, I feel good and am sort of maintaining and that is OK with me. That scale makes me crazy I think I am always going to be a bigger girl and as long as I can keep lifting and firm up stuff I am going to be OK with things. I have to remember where I came from.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:45 AM   #1260
Senior LCF Member

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your knowledge! Before my finger incident, I was using 12.5 lb weights to do these exercises, but since this was the first time in a few months that I had held a weight in my hand, I started out low. It may take a little while to work back up to that or it may not!!

The number on the scale is really not that important to me. Losing inches, toning, smaller clothes sizes, no muffin top, non-jiggly inner thighs, a tight body all over, and the confidence that strength training gives me is what I want. I was going so good until my little set back, but I am almost over that....

I know diet is so important and I need to work on this area a good bit. Lack of planning is one of my biggest problems. The 50-100g of carbs need to be good carbs, right? Sweet pot, brown rice, fruits,.....

Thanks again Twyla. Every time you offer a word of encouragement, a piece of advice, and your wealth of knowledge about diet and exercise, I know that God is putting another STAR in your crown. I know that these are just words, but I am so thankful to have someone like you that is so willing to help me on this journey.....

Hope you have a great day!!!
kmcentire is offline   Reply With Quote