Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kmcentire
Stats: 223/192/175
Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
protein and cals still too low.

what are you doing in the gym.
Give me an example.
It seemed like I was eating all day yesterday... but I will eat more! Still learning..

For Gym:
MWF 10mins cardio 1st, then machines for 16 reps x2 (this usually takes about 15 mins or so), then my free weights and lunges about 15 mins) and then finish with 20-30 mins of cardio (elliptical or treadmill)

TTh Cardio Only 30-45 mins

Thank you Illeen! I am sure a personal trainer would help, but....
kmcentire is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #872
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
yes calories are too low, trust me on that, I learned that one the hard way!
I believe when I was doing low calorie and then I started exercising some, that is when I plateaued! I think I was not eating enough. I have got to figure out what I need to eat to up both calories and protein.... It is at least better than Monday.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:26 PM   #873
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
It is hard to eat almost 2000 calories of healthy food--- a few slices of pizza and a beer and you got 1000 calories no problem--- but it is hard eating healthy food. I feel like Shamu getting his feedings like oh no its time to eat again, LOL
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:34 PM   #874

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to much cardio!

stop.
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:36 PM   #875

whats with 16reps x 2??

machines , then free wt...

use all free wts and stop doing all that cardio. you should be doing a min of about 30-45m of free wt.. and cardio of 30 on Tues/thurs.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:37 PM   #876

what EXACTLY on your doing on those machines? upper body?? then lower free wts?

is this full body 3x a week?
Old 11-30-2011, 12:39 PM   #877

can you get your hands on the body for life book either in the library, second hand sotre etc.. You can view a lot of that program on line. Way better than what you are currently doing.

Id much rather you did that program then what you are doing. That is how i started out.
New rules for lifting is also a great starter program.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:11 PM   #878
Senior LCF Member

Ileen: I wrote down what machines I am doing today at the gym
Chest & shoulder press, ab machine, pulldown, fly, leg press. The weight varies from 25-60 lbs. The reps are 12-16 and I do them 2 times. I did some free weights upright row, tricep over my head, flys, bicep curls, tricep kickback, and arm lifts. I am sure I did not use the correct name for these. I had BFL at one time so I will go look for it.

This is the same routine on MWF and only cardio on TTh. How much cardio do I need to do?

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2011, 04:17 PM   #879
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
can you get your hands on the body for life book either in the library, second hand sotre etc.. You can view a lot of that program on line. Way better than what you are currently doing.

Id much rather you did that program then what you are doing. That is how i started out.
New rules for lifting is also a great starter program.
Guess what I found.... Body for life...my daughter has decorated all the before and after pictures but that's all . I will reread to refamiliarize myself with how it works.

Thank you!
Old 11-30-2011, 04:41 PM   #880

your welcome

I'd limit the cardio like they to to 2 days of max of 30min right now in BFL. HIIT running is intense but maybe some intervals on the bike is less demanding on the body...
Let diet be the main focus, as it should too much cardio,especially too early on is NOT a good thing. My coach has gals stage lean with NO cardio but using ab core circuits. Some do some cardio but never more than 2.5 the WHOLE week.

I got avi lean on MAX of 2.5 hrs a week, and that was the very end of prep. For most of the time i did none. My 'cardio' wasnt even traditional cardio but ab core circuits and metabolic workouts. My adrenals couldnt handle any more hi intensity so we cut it back to just slow steady.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:52 AM   #881

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcentire View Post
Ileen: I wrote down what machines I am doing today at the gym
Chest & shoulder press, ab machine, pulldown, fly, leg press. The weight varies from 25-60 lbs. The reps are 12-16 and I do them 2 times. I did some free weights upright row, tricep over my head, flys, bicep curls, tricep kickback, and arm lifts. I am sure I did not use the correct name for these. I had BFL at one time so I will go look for it.

This is the same routine on MWF and only cardio on TTh. How much cardio do I need to do?

Thanks!
Kristi, here are my thoughts on cardio vs. weight training.

There are lots of arguments to how much or how little cardio one needs to do in their workout agenda.

In my opinion, most people do too much, and/or they place too much emphasis on cardio and not FAR ENOUGH on weight lifting. It's very common to see people hit the gym (especially women, but men are guilty too) and sort of "lift at it" a while, but spend 75% or more of their time on the cardio machines. MISTAKE. It is not nearly as effective at maximizing your time and energy burning calories. You cannot build muscle with cardio, and without sufficient time put into your weight training, you will continue to waste any appreciable muscle that you have or that you may gain if you do too much cardio. That's why it's NOT a good idea to do more than 30 mins of cardio in a given session, say on cardio only days. Longer sessions of cardio are useful if you're into long distance running and/or endurance training, but not for MUSCLE BUILDING. Shorter and/or more frequent sessions of cardio are better.

Some people ENJOY cardio. I'm one of them. Cardio, in addition to burning cals and fat, also elevates our mood and relieves stress. It can be fun and enjoyable for a lot of people. Some people hate it or find it boring. What's important is finding what is enjoyable for you personally and then making it work to your advantage in achieving your fat loss goals.

Unfortunatley, a lot of people dislike weight lifting. Why? Not sure. I suppose they find pushing heavy weight around very taxing, hard work, and they don't want to have to "work at it." (Duh? No pain, no gain? Hello?) Those are the people who may "lift at it" now and then with weight training, but because they're not putting out maximum effort in their training, they don't get results, they assume their efforts at weight lifting are apparently not beneficial, they lose interest, and they go back to all cardio -- OR NOTHING AT ALL.

Cardio has its place in the whole calorie burning, body recomp agenda, however. Some do more, some do less. It's mostly up to the individual and what appeals to them most; OR what effect X amount of cardio has on their indiviual metabolism and body type. Endomorphs usually find that they need more cardio than ectomorphs or mesomorphs.

Carbohydrates are your body’s primary and preferred energy source, i.e., glycogen. When your body is low on this fuel source, it's forced to dig into its reserves of energy, stored body fat. That's why doing cardio after a meal isn't as effective as doing it fasted in the morning OR doing it AFTER weight lifting. You will burn some fat after a meal, but not as much because there is glycogen in your system for your body to utilize. And since lifting weights is anaerobic (carbohydrate-burning) and draws upon our glycogen stores predominantly, our glycogen is thereby depleted. By doing a brief light session of cardio post lifting, you will therefore have an extra "edge" to fat burning, since you have already used up your glycogen by lifting. This is the reason you do not want to do cardio BEFORE lifting, because lifting will burn through glycogen much more efficiently (necessarily). Your body needs the glycogen THEN to fuel the training. Doing cardio after, although not NECESSARY, is a helpful strategy at chiseling away at our fat stores-- the edge.

Metabolic workouts are basically cardio workouts, but not in the traditional sense. They're more weight lifting oriented. They're very taxing, high intensity, and require a lot of effort. They are very effective at burning fat AND building muscle.

Bottom line, find what works for YOU in terms of choosing the best approach at cardio.

Weight training should ALWAYS take priorty over cardio.

Just remember that you should save cardio for AFTER your weight training, if you are doing cardio and lifting on the same day; OR do it fasted first thing in the morning. On days you choose to do cardio only workouts, keep them either brief (20 mins of HIIT) or lighter, steady-state cardio session of 30-40 mins, if that's the type of cardio you ENJOY.
WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:59 AM   #882

Quote:
T- I know you are right, the weekends have been crazy we had the wedding, birthdays, etc, and thinking a bite of this or that wont hurt isnt working, I have lost .5 pounds in 3 months but my size 14 jeans that were too tight to take to Vegas are falling off, and I now have like 5 medium yes medium tops! And I bought size Large Victoria Secret underwear, so the scale isnt working but something is shifting!
Amber, do you do body circumference measurements very often? If not, I would suggest that you begin tracking your progress in this fashion rather than watching the scale and letting it dictate your motivation. (because the scale doesn't do such a good job with our motivation!)

The fact that you're wearing smaller clothing sizes proves that you're losing inches, which is more imp than scale weight anyway. Get it in black and white, girlfriend. MEASURE. Write those numbers down in a bold SHARPIE. Display THOSE numbers with pride in a prominent place (I suggest right beside your bathroom scale) and keep them current/updated.

You may be pleasantly surprised!

Old 12-01-2011, 03:01 AM   #883

Learn a good lifting program and you will see many changes, even though I am still fat on the scale, people are shocked, last night at that weight loss thing, there were many women who lost 100 pounds, none of them exercise, they could not believe that I weighed over 200 pounds, when people call me fit, I am still shocked, but the lifting is going to give you muscle and make you look so much better! Skinny fat is not good, like these women if they had exercised along with diet, they would be looking better. For me I run because it is a challenge and its hard for me and I want to do those tough mudder races, for me lifting is my favorite! Most nights when I am done with my trainer I am more of a sweaty mess and exhausted then when I run 3 miles. Cardio is good too for your heart, I figure I have taxed mine well with the smoking and weight issues so that is why I do that too!
Old 12-01-2011, 03:05 AM   #884

T- I do measure its funny my measurements have not changed that much maybe an inch here or there, I think its just moving around, and like my stomach skin could be I pull it too tight or not enough stuff like that, the thing last night that was suppose to be so fancy was the same crappy handheld device I have that was $20 says I am 36% fat, ughghg! But last night seeing people with massive weight loss that didn't exercise made me accept the scale a little better, people are commenting on my arms and my legs how they can see muscles, so even if I am heavier the exercise is the most important thing to me, and I think someday it is going to come off, might be after surgery, but its OK. If I keep eating healthy and working out hard its bound to move, one girl there lost 98 pounds and has been stalled for a year, trying to get to 100 pounds lost, I think our bodies just fight us after a bit, but I was down a pound this morning, LOL Go figure!

When my trainer has me do stuff that's hard and I can do it or when she says look at your back I see divots in there, I am going to move along and be happy! And feeling bones I didnt know I had is exciting, LOL I thought I was a jellyfish!!!

Last edited by Bejewelme; 12-01-2011 at 03:07 AM..
Old 12-01-2011, 05:23 AM   #885
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Learn a good lifting program and you will see many changes, even though I am still fat on the scale, people are shocked, last night at that weight loss thing, there were many women who lost 100 pounds, none of them exercise, they could not believe that I weighed over 200 pounds, when people call me fit, I am still shocked, but the lifting is going to give you muscle and make you look so much better! Skinny fat is not good, like these women if they had exercised along with diet, they would be looking better. For me I run because it is a challenge and its hard for me and I want to do those tough mudder races, for me lifting is my favorite! Most nights when I am done with my trainer I am more of a sweaty mess and exhausted then when I run 3 miles. Cardio is good too for your heart, I figure I have taxed mine well with the smoking and weight issues so that is why I do that too!
This is a quote a coworker of mine printed and gave to me from pinterest:

Losing Weight Makes You LOOK GOOD IN CLOTHES....
Exercise Makes You LOOK GOOD NAKED!!!!!
Old 12-01-2011, 10:48 AM   #886

Indeed!!!
Old 12-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #887

Quote:

exactly! LOL
Old 12-02-2011, 03:13 AM   #888

Quote:

Nothing could be more true. It's one thing to look good (or even presentable) in our clothes, but to be able to feel confident even without them, that's when you know you've made appreciable changes to your body.

As I mentioned once in my journal....

(January 12, 2010)

Rich, TBF and Lisa -- again -- thanks, you guys. I appreciate your comments.

Lisa, I'm likely to spend the rest of my life promoting weight training for people who want to lose fat and look their best -- both naked, and in clothes! There really is a huge difference in losing just "weight" and losing fat while keeping and/or building muscle. I see it every day. It's become painfully obvious to me just by looking around, seeing other people my age, seeing how they sweat and starve and lose weight, and yet they still look "out of shape."

You gotta eat smart and train smart. The end.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:22 AM   #889

T- were you shy about wearing your bikini at the contest or are you like naturally confident? I just wondered how you felt? Well I am a mess naked now with all this skin, but look out when its gone, I will be wearing a thong to the grocery store, LOL (I say that) LOL
I did yoga last night, that was fun! I really like it it is really increasing my flexibility and I am always so sore from workouts the stretching feels good.

So off to celebrate the old hubs 50th this weekend, gotta watch the food and no wine!!!
Old 12-02-2011, 03:33 AM   #890

It's been a very busy, tiring, long week, and I'm SO glad it's Friday.

I slept a little longer this morning. My body is craving rest. I must try to catch up this weekend.

This season is demanding, trying to juggle work with all the things that need done -- meal planning, shopping, decorating, wrapping, holiday events... and the list goes on.

I can't control a lot of things, but I CAN control what I eat and my dedication to my workouts. "As for my workout schedule, it's something that I take very seriously. I don't let anyone or anything stand in the way of my workout routine," as mentioned in my journal a few years ago, I continue with this pledge.

Someone once said: "I don't have time to lift; I MAKE time to lift."

Love that.

When everything else in my world is spinning and out of control, I can at least lay my head on the pillow at night and know that I've eaten clean, I'm feeling strong and fit, and my energy from both will propel me through the rest of the demands that life throws at me.

It's just like the song says that I downloaded this week for my workouts, It's a "good feeling," ...

"Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh,
sometimes I get a good feeling, yeah
I get a feeling that I never never never never had before..."

Flo Rida

It's time for morning cardio...

Old 12-02-2011, 03:39 AM   #891

Quote:
T- were you shy about wearing your bikini at the contest or are you like naturally confident? I just wondered how you felt? Well I am a mess naked now with all this skin, but look out when its gone, I will be wearing a thong to the grocery store, LOL (I say that) LOL
I did yoga last night, that was fun! I really like it it is really increasing my flexibility and I am always so sore from workouts the stretching feels good.

So off to celebrate the old hubs 50th this weekend, gotta watch the food and no wine!!!
Amber, funny you should mention that, but I've always considered myself as a very modest person, and that was the one thing that haunted me all through my prep, the thought of getting on stage in front of a gazillion people in a bikini!!! (And such a TINY ONE!) That was a very daunting prospect. But in the end, it was one of the most rewarding feelings of all, because I knew that I had put in the work and deserved to feel confident to show it off, and I did. It was a wonderful feeling knowing that I could spend an entire day walking around backstage (and on stage) in a bikini, in mixed company, and feel good/proud, no reservations. I can't tell you how rewarding that was! I would never have posted pics of me before in a bikini. That alone was part of my "trophy" for my sacrifices.

Self-confidence can indeed be a huge motivator to our dedication.

Hope you have a good time at the party this weekend. Enjoy, but with a respectable amount of vigilance.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:59 AM   #892

you need that rest!

what kind of break do you have coming up from work? Does the court take time off? Hubby usually takes the week of Christmas off, sometimes lucky enough to have gotten two.

What does your meals look like now? Are you still carb cycling? Are you doing any kind of building or working on anything in particular? How much cardio are you doing in maintenance now?

Im currently eating at maintenace but plan to bringing my BF up some and doing some strength/lite building phase work, hoping to try and add something to my shoulders. Stubborn buggers for me. Definitely not genetically inclined. Can I switch my calves for caps! LOL
Old 12-02-2011, 06:45 AM   #893

T- I gathered that you are sort of modest, that is why I wondered how that was for you, OMG if I looked like you I swear I would be wearing that bikini everywhere!!! You would never get it off me! LOL

So as I sit here contemplating what is going to get me out of this stall, I see a bookmark from T's journal, the ketogenic diet, duh!!!!! I think that even switching between 1700 calories 3 days and 2000 one day is still maybe not enough calories given my workouts, and while I feel good right now eating more carbs it is not getting me where I want to be, I was thinking with going away this weekend maybe it would be a good time to try this for 12 days and see what happens? I think I am still very carb sensitive, I can maintain on 100-120 carbs but not lose weight, I do think I am losing some fat, as people keep telling me I look like I am losing, but I do want that scale to move in the worst way possible, and even being 5'10 and large framed I got plenty of fat to burn, so I better get to burning it!

I think my trainer has done a good job of helping me increase the weights and intensity of my workouts with her, I am so sore!!! I babied the knee this week and it is feeling better so I hope I can go back to running next week and more of her crazy plyometrics, cause man that is a workout. I am going to try to time the carbs like what do you suggest-- 30 min-1 hour pre-workout? I lost a ton of weight eating fat, I think I need more than 20% fat in my diet, and lets face it it is not that hard to get to almost 200 grams of fat in the form of oils and nuts, and it is very satisfying. I think my metabolism is still very much in distress from years of being obese and now this 15 months of diet and shocking the crap out of it with exercise, like my blood work was good but the insulin resistance indicators are better but still there, and she lowered my does of metformin by over 2/3. I am wondering if lowering that was a mistake, I go in March again and we need to discuss that.

Fat loss with ketogenic: cyclical & targeted ketogenic w/weight training

I thought maybe Kristi would be interested in this too, since I know she seems to still be in Atkins mode, and enjoys her fats, what do you girls think? I figure it can't hurt, nothing is really working some of this my own doing...ie...weekends! I do find it is easier to do LC over low fat when in social situations.

What do you think of adding a little more carbs, like it says you can eat less than 100 and be in ketosis, I doubt that, so I was thinking maybe 50 carbs max. I was also wondering if I could up the protein a bit too?

I will see what you girls say and I think that will be my plan and commit to a solid 2 weeks, of no cheating and really sticking to it. And continuing to kick up the workouts, there is a beautiful gym at this hotel so we plan to get 2 good workouts in, there is a state park with beautiful waterfalls nearby so I said we should go there on the way home Sunday and take a big hike so that will keep me moving!

Last edited by Bejewelme; 12-02-2011 at 06:50 AM..
Old 12-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #894

Amber what was your thyroid blood work results?
Old 12-02-2011, 10:20 AM   #895

Ileen I don't remember the exact numbers but she said they were all normal are they the ones like T4 or TSH something? The only thing was this insulin thing, like the glucose fasting it was never high enough to say I had diabetes but was in the high normal range- an indicator for insulin resistance. I have none of the other symptoms for Metabolic syndrome, no HBP, no high cholesterol or any of that,
Old 12-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #896

amber, normal is a dryer setting. Please get a copy of your labs. I'd love to see the results.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:26 AM   #897

I guess I can call the office and have them send me a copy, I will call today!
Old 12-02-2011, 10:51 AM   #898

your keto question had good timing on one of my fitness boards:

My coached commented back to a poster
Quote:
If you want to be on the short path to carb intolerance there's your ticket. Exposure to ketones over time impairs insulin sensitivity.
a few others well respected competitors came and and posted much the same.
Quote:
I have tons of friends who have done keto and are now carb intolerant, like Erik is saying. They can not ever eat ice cream, have splenda, or even sweet potatoes. that's a sad life, if you ask me.
Quote:
healthy fats are absolutely essential but that does not mean cut out carbs

You can add these fats and eat carbs just have to have right calories aand macros breakdown
Quote:
Cutting out carbs is not necessary to get get lean
good discussion.

Quote:
I missed that part. If she is saying zero carb up for a prep then yes, that is bad. The metabolism can become damaged. I would never recommend keto without the refeed.

Last edited by inatic; 12-02-2011 at 11:01 AM..
Old 12-02-2011, 11:02 AM   #899

just sharing part of the discussion. I think relevant since it a comptetiors board.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:06 AM   #900

Quote:
could be more attributed to the huge hormonal shift and stressors the diet and the high intensity training that went along with the prep that caused the most issue.

The interesting thing is that when the keto diet was first introduced it had nothing to do with fat loss and training, particularly the high intensity training that it's paired with for contest prep, dieting, etc etc. It's when you start bringing exercise into the equation, particularly at higher volumes, that's where the most problems arise. So the diet itself, when you really look at the research can be good for some in certain situations, but when you start talking contest prep, not always the wisest idea in most cases.
Coach posted this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik
You have the issues of insulin sensitivity/resistance as well as overall insulin secretion. The former has to do with how well your body, or how sensitive your body is to the 'message' of insulin. High insulin sensitivity = responsive target tissues (both fat and muscle). Low insulin sensitivity/higher insulin resistance = target tissues are not very responsive. In the latter case, you'll have higher baseline insulin levels (again due to the fact that the target tissues aren't very responsive, so more insulin needs to be produced to achieve the end goal).

Ideally, you'd want high insulin sensitivity in muscle tissue and high insulin resistance in fat cells; unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. You can't pick one to be resistant and the other to be sensitive - both will be the same. But this is one of the reasons GH can help with fat loss - it promotes insulin resistance.

The latter (overall secretion) will also vary from person to person - some people just secrete more insulin in response to a given meal than the next person.

You can get a rough idea of where you stand by assessing what happens to you after a high carb meal. This will generally give you an idea if you'd be better off on a lower carb diet or can get away with more carbs in your diet.

Do high carb meals make you sleepy, sluggish, do you crash, etc? Or do you have stable energy levels, feel good etc? The former? Hypersecreter. The latter? Probably a more normal insulin response.

Similarly, do you feel full and jacked (LOL) or just uncomfortable, bloated, etc? The former? Probably decent insulin sensitivity. The latter, not so much.

Good insulin sensitivity + normal insulin response will probably mean you can diet on more carbs.

The opposite - poor insulin sensitivity and a large insulin response/secretion to a meal will probably mean you'd fare better with a reduced carbohydrate approach.
__________________.

Last edited by inatic; 12-02-2011 at 11:16 AM..