LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 02:34 AM   #841
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
T- this is what that girl that is helping me recommended percentage wise, I think Tom is like 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat, I would much rather have more fat and less carbs!!! Like almonds and cheese would be lovely, as they are filling, that is what happened with lc after some time, I was never hungry and was only eating like 1100 calories a day cause fat is filling! Low fat is a drag that is for sure, but its one or the other, fat or carbs.

Do you really think I need almost 200 grams of protein?
Amber (and Kristi), as for the protein question, whether you NEED it or not, I'll leave that to a certified sports nutritionist. I don't like to represent things in my journal as being "the gospel," because everyone has a different theory, first of all; and secondly, not everyone's body will respond to the same kinds of stimuli, whether it be food, exercise, training, etc. We are all very different and with different needs and goals.

It may be that a leaner person may respond more favorably to higher protein than someone who is further from goal. And if that IS the case, regardless, the person further from goal needs to be even MORE strategic with their carb timing than anyone, since carbs are the most likely nutrient to get stored as fat.

But. Personally speaking, I have ALWAYS eaten higher protein and responded favorably to the protein -- reasons being: a) it's a thermogenic, and it keeps our metab revved longer than any other macronutrient (fat, carbs, protein, fiber are macronutrients, Kristi); b) therefore keeps us fuller longer; c) is needed to keep and build muscle--period.

Even before my prep, I was eating no less than 200 gr a day -- at my size. During and all throughout my prep, that number never went below roughly 190, and some days was as high as 250.

My body dropped fat like crazy on the prep, even while training 6 days a week; and having gained inches in LBM in my lats and abs, the fuel most definitely helped me build the muscle where I needed it most. I guess my body has no issues with higher protein.

Bottom line: I'm an advocate for higher protein.

Before prep, my protein sources included dairy and higher fat protein occasionaly (beef, pork, etc.). During my prep, my proteins included: egg whites, fish, chicken, tuna, lean white turkey burgers (Jenny O); salmon; whey protein; casein protein.

Optimum Nutrition is my number one choice for powdered casein protein.

Cottage cheese is the best NATURAL source for casein.

Casein takes longer to digest than whey, so it makes for a good nighttime source.
WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2011, 02:45 AM   #842

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcentire View Post
What are whey protein "pudding" concoctions and casein ? Ladies I know I sound hopeless, but I will get all of this one day!
Kristi, I like to use whey and casein protein to make yummy legal snacks to augment my diet, keep it interesting so that I won't get bored and eat off plan. I just add these things to my diet to make staying on plan and EATING CLEAN more fun and enjoyable.

Casein works wonderfully for making protein pudding because of the way it mixes up, stays thicker, etc. I will use 2 Tbs of chocolate casein (Optimum Nutrition) and add about, I don't know, 1/4 c of hot nuked water, maybe more or less, I forget because I just add it till it's about right, an itsy bitsy dash of Stevia, and stir until creamy. I'll have that with green tea for a yummy indulgence, and I feel like I've had a chocolate/dessert fix, PLUS, I've eaten protein, only a trace of fat, and so it's the perfect legal snack for me. I make enough of the Fudge Bites to fill an entire tray and they'll last me all week.

Gaspari Myofusion is my favorite WHEY protein.

I also make "Fudge Bites" with chocolate WHEY protein. 1 scoop of chocolate whey, 1/2 tsp of nat pb, and enough water to make it the consistency of cake batter or a tiny bit runnier. I pour this into mini ice cube trays and freeze till solid. You pop one of these babies into your mouth, you will think you've had something totally off plan. It's very satisfying for my sweet tooth!
Old 11-29-2011, 02:47 AM   #843

Quote:
When I started low calorie in 2010, my goal was 175. I am 5'6". When I met my husband almost 23 years ago I was 150. So, I would love to see 150 again, but..... what do yall think???
Go for it!
Old 11-29-2011, 02:49 AM   #844

Quote:
Ileen- I mix the oatmeal with water and add the protein powder to the oatmeal, I love the banana flavor in oatmeal!
Sounds yummy!
I'd try this with a pinch of nutmeg or cinnamon added too!
Old 11-29-2011, 03:01 AM   #845

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
T- it is all so hard, I got plenty of fat to spare and I cant understand why eating this way the scale doesn't budge, and I am working out more than ever. It sucks!!! This morning I am up 1.5 pounds I went to that party and tried the stuff with celery and had my trainer workout and I get so mad at the scale, I know the scale is not our friend but it is such a bummer! But another day!

My plastic surgeon got that fancy scale that they use on that show the Doctors that analyses body fat, hydration, etc I am going to his office Wed and I am curious to see what it says with all the skin and stuff, I can pinch stuff everywhere, I just get so frustrated like what can I do to get my body to start dropping again, its been 15 months of this dieting and its like my body is just shutting down, I still think exercise is the most important thing, and I am trying to focus on working out harder than ever. Its like I want to feel normal again and I feel like I am never going to get there!

I really appreciate you and Ileen always trying to guide us, I have learned so much from you guys!!!!

And you let me whine! LOL

Hugs T!!!!
Old 11-29-2011, 06:21 AM   #846
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kmcentire
Stats: 223/192/175
This is my breakdown from yesterday....
1149 cals Fat 49%(62.4g) Protein 31%(88.5g) Carbs 19%(56g)

Not great but it is a start! Now, looking for input.....
kmcentire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:02 AM   #847
Senior LCF Member

Twyla, Illeen, and Amber....
I am going to buy some products.... caesin, whey, etc. What do I need to buy??
Old 11-29-2011, 07:04 AM   #848

I think your calories are low for your weight, and the fat seems a little high, but I am not sure if you are doing LC? If LC then higher fat is ok, but the girls know this stuff better than me, LOL
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:21 PM   #849

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:

Not great but it is a start! Now, looking for input.....
your protein is way low and so are you cals. id rather see a swing in more carbs and less fat. but all of that changes as you up your protein.

Last edited by inatic; 11-29-2011 at 12:37 PM..
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #850

Quote:
Twyla, Illeen, and Amber....
I am going to buy some products.... caesin, whey, etc. What do I need to buy??
need? is relative.
I dont think you 'need' either but for convience etc, those do help. I personally dont use the casin (T does) because i add fat to my last meal, which will also slow down digestion of that meal.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:25 PM   #851

I would say start with a whey powder, one flavor you might like and get used to that then incorporate more later as you see fit? It can be overwhelming too much stuff and if you dont like it , you are out the money, the girls like Myofusion, I like Beverly International, if you like fruit like berries get vanilla you can flavor that, or if you are a chocolate head try chocolate, the Myofusion chocolate is good, I liked that one too! At least you will have something to add protein to your day!
Old 11-29-2011, 01:10 PM   #852
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
your protein is way low and so are you cals. id rather see a swing in more carbs and less fat. but all of that changes as you up your protein.
Thanks Illeen! I have been trying to up my protein intake today with more nuts, shrimp, and Greek yogurt today. Any suggestions....
Old 11-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #853
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I would say start with a whey powder, one flavor you might like and get used to that then incorporate more later as you see fit? It can be overwhelming too much stuff and if you dont like it , you are out the money, the girls like Myofusion, I like Beverly International, if you like fruit like berries get vanilla you can flavor that, or if you are a chocolate head try chocolate, the Myofusion chocolate is good, I liked that one too! At least you will have something to add protein to your day!
I already use the 4Ever whey isolate vanilla. I really like this in my pumpkin shake. I want to explore with some other products....
Old 11-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #854

nuts though has protein, is considered a fat.

how. EAT lol.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:54 PM   #855
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
nuts though has protein, is considered a fat.

how. EAT lol.
Thanks... Another thing I learned!!! So almonds are not a good source of protein for the amount of fat they have....
Old 11-29-2011, 02:01 PM   #856

you will either want to eat 5 or 6 times a day. I eat 6.

a shake for some is very filling and you wont want to eat often OR am many people arent hungry. See what fits you best.

aim for about 20-30g of protein per meal.
a scoop of protein is usually somewhere between 18-22g.

85g of chicken is about 30g protein
106g of turkey breast is about 30
112g of say talapia or shrimp is about 30g

etc.

build eat meal with protein and a carb early on
OR around your training and then taper back to veggies/fats for other meals.

You can have fat in all meals but i suggest you keep it out of post workout.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #857

Like an ounce of almonds has 14 grams of fat, 6 grams of protein, versus say non fat plain greek yogurt that has zero fat and 18-20 grams of protein, so no fat and all protein, a few carbs from the milk, don't buy flavored sugary yogurt, that is a waste of carbs.
I add a scoop of protein powder to the yogurt and a few drops of liquid splenda and then you have like 35 grams of protein and maybe 1 gram of fat from the powder and you will be full, that is a good snack I like.

I am a shake drinker I dont have to think and they fill me up, especially late afternoon when I start craving something like the texture of the shake takes that craving away.

Or like a little almonds go a long way I get the 100 calorie packs, more expensive, but they have about 14 almonds I split a bag in yogurt or cottage cheese, I like crunchy stuff! I whack them up with my scissors and make them go far,LOL I like cinnamon and splenda in plain yogurt and cottage cheese too.

Protein does fill you up, fat does too that is why Atkins is so easy its all protein and fat, once you add the carbs you gotta adjust and see if you crave stuff,some things set me off, like the LC bars, I just cant eat those, they make me want bad stuff! And really they are full of crap anyway!

You can have like natural PB but that has fat and just be careful then what you eat with it, if you are counting fat. Like 1T has about 100 calories, 8 grams of fat and 5 protein, its hard to eat 1T, so that takes portion control, 2T on something you are at 16 grams of fat, that is like say the Jennie O lean turkey burgers, 180 calories, 9 fat, 21 protein. So less fat and much more protein, that is why I enter as many custom foods I buy as I can in ****** and then buy the brands that are the best, I am always looking for low fat high protein not too carby! You have to compare stuff well at least that is what I do and find stuff I like. I try to plan my menu the night before and then print out ****** so I can say OK this is what I am eating, sometimes like when I forget my lunch everything changes, LOL But I keep stuff at work for when that happens! I hate when I mess up the day! Like the party last night, I tried to save some calories and made sure I didnt eat bread or pasta or crackers or wine that I really wanted!!! LOL

Shrimp is lovely but its expensive so when on sale I buy a bunch and I weigh everything, portion control is a big thing, I have a little scale that measures in ounces and grams, or I would be eating like 3 times a serving, it is scary when you measure, like oatmeal, pasta, etc, the servings are not like what we used to eat!

Last edited by Bejewelme; 11-29-2011 at 02:19 PM..
Old 11-29-2011, 02:20 PM   #858
Senior LCF Member

Illeen, do you eat protein powder with every meal/daily...
Shrimp and tilapia are good sources of protein with little fat?
Do you cook a turkey breast or buy the sandwich stuff....

Thanks again.... (a work in progress...)
Old 11-29-2011, 02:27 PM   #859
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Amber! I am slowly putting it together... So if it has higher fat than anything, i.e. Nuts, then it's a fat, and so forth... I think I am understanding correctly.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:28 PM   #860

Quote:
Thanks Illeen! I have been trying to up my protein intake today with more nuts, shrimp, and Greek yogurt today. Any suggestions....
Quote:
Illeen, do you eat protein powder with every meal/daily...
Shrimp and tilapia are good sources of protein with little fat?
Do you cook a turkey breast or buy the sandwich stuff....

Thanks again.... (a work in progress...)
i dont eat protein powder most of the time , even post workout. My coach doesnt require it as long as we use a LEAN easy to digest protein. He gives some people CC , PP and fats in the evening and some like me, greek yog.

Nope, sandwhich meat is ICK to me. I bake, cook, grill all my food.
Yes those are lean sources of protein.

In your case, since your fat is higher, you can use fattier cuts but its easier to tweak when you separate it out.

you can have a steak though or even salmon

Last edited by inatic; 11-29-2011 at 02:31 PM..
Old 11-29-2011, 05:00 PM   #861
Senior LCF Member

Thanks again Illeen!
Old 11-30-2011, 02:43 AM   #862

Quote:
T- it is all so hard, I got plenty of fat to spare and I cant understand why eating this way the scale doesn't budge, and I am working out more than ever. It sucks!!! This morning I am up 1.5 pounds I went to that party and tried the stuff with celery and had my trainer workout and I get so mad at the scale, I know the scale is not our friend but it is such a bummer! But another day!

My plastic surgeon got that fancy scale that they use on that show the Doctors that analyses body fat, hydration, etc I am going to his office Wed and I am curious to see what it says with all the skin and stuff, I can pinch stuff everywhere, I just get so frustrated like what can I do to get my body to start dropping again, its been 15 months of this dieting and its like my body is just shutting down, I still think exercise is the most important thing, and I am trying to focus on working out harder than ever. Its like I want to feel normal again and I feel like I am never going to get there!
I really appreciate you and Ileen always trying to guide us, I have learned so much from you guys!!!!

And you let me whine! LOL

Hugs T!!!!
Amber, I'm sorry that you're going through this frustrating time of scale stagnation. I have been there many times over myself, and it is debilitating to our mood and everything else.

I agree with you that exercise is vital. It is. I will ALWAYS make time for exercise, no matter how tired I am, how busy I am, etc., because it's a commitment that pays off. I may not get to do it as often as I'd like -- this week is a prime example, given my extremely hectic schedule -- but I do carve out a plan for even my busy weeks.

That said, as imp as exercise is, diet is just as important. You can't out-exercise a shabby diet. If there are things that you're doing to sabotage your efforts, you need to take a closer look at those. Tweak a little.

Have you considered doing one or two days of higher fat, low carb, say 40-50 or under, then a high day at say 125 carbs, then repeat? On your high days, let those be your lifting days. The other days crank down the intensity if you lift, and/or just make them cardio and/or yoga days. YOu'll be confusing your body both in fuel and in your exercise.

Keep in mind also that what we do on the weekends can really undermine what progress we make during the week, AND our sins of the weekend sometimes don't show up until mid week. I know it's very hard, but try to keep the alcohol and extra (hidden) carbs and cals out of the equation on the weekends, if you can for a time, just to see how your body will respond. We both know how easy it is for the cals/carbs to add up when we're not tracking and we think we're fine with our eats, but in truth, we're really not.

Chin up. Just keep doing what you're doing. Crank down the exercise intensity and really focus on diet for a good solid two weeks. See if that helps?

Supporting you ... lifting you up... keep flying, girl.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:53 AM   #863

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcentire
Quote:
ILEEN:"Not great but it is a start! Now, looking for input.....

your protein is way low and so are you cals. id rather see a swing in more carbs and less fat. but all of that changes as you up your protein."
Kristi, I agree with Ileen.

Cals are a bit low, esp since you're first starting out* and because you need more than that at your current weight anyway to keep your metabolism responsive.

(* You always want to start out generously calorie wise; makes your metab nice and "gunned," and it will respond very favorably to the changes you make in your exercise plan -- energy expenditure.)

Carbs are fine for now, but as you move forward, you may want to add more and/or rotate your carbs somewhat to benefit both your energy levels and to keep your metabolism responsive.

Protein is too low.

Keeping it simple, you may want to try roasting a turkey breast on the weekends, then place 4-5 oz of turkey in baggies or containers to make it easy to grab for a quick meal. I do this very often, both with chicken and turkey.

I boil chicken breasts (fresh or frozen) in water, adding fresh garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper. Bring to high boil, then simmer for about 40 mins or more till VERY tender. Let cool. Then shred the chicken, place in a container. SO YUMMY/FLAVORFUL, and you're good to go for salads, whatever, however you like to eat your chicken.

I count/weigh my almonds, put them in a baggy, and they're my mid morning snack when I can't get to food. Or I'll carry them in my purse this way to snack on while at church if it's time for a meal and I can't eat.

Eggs are one of the easiest things to prepare ahead and are very healthy for us and good for meeting our macros in our diet. Stock up on eggs!

You're learning....Keep up the good work, girl! Proud of you.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:56 AM   #864

T- I know you are right, the weekends have been crazy we had the wedding, birthdays, etc, and thinking a bite of this or that wont hurt isnt working, I have lost .5 pounds in 3 months but my size 14 jeans that were too tight to take to Vegas are falling off, and I now have like 5 medium yes medium tops! And I bought size Large Victoria Secret underwear, so the scale isnt working but something is shifting! I know I think maybe you are right I will try the carb cycling again, getting under 200 is huge to me, so I gotta keep plugging and suck it up like this weekend away again, ughggh!!!

I was 200.8 on 9/19, and today 205.4 I was 206 on 9/1, so that 5 pounds keeps coming and going! Time to shake it for good!
Old 11-30-2011, 03:02 AM   #865

"Busy" doesn't begin to describe this week. I'll leave it there. Enough said.

I read devotions that come to my email every morning to start my day with inspiration and direction from above.

This was in yesterday's devotion. It really hit home. Must share:

“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart,
as working for the Lord, not for men”
(Colossians 3:23, NIV)

In today’s society, many people have accepted mediocrity as the norm. They do as little as they can to get by, always looking for the easy way out. If the boss isn’t watching, they’re playing on the computer. They simply go to work to pick up a paycheck, then wonder why they’re not promoted and don’t see increase. It’s because God doesn’t bless mediocrity; He blesses excellence.

Whatever we do, we should do it to the best of our ability and set the standard. Remember, you are ultimately working for the Lord. He’s the one who put those talents and abilities in you. You are a steward of the gifts He’s given. Other people may show up late. They may complain. They may cut corners. But don’t sink down to their level — you are working for Almighty God. You are called to excellence!

I encourage you today, stay determined. Stay focused. Whether you’re a waitress, a truck driver, an architect, a police officer or a CEO, do it to the best of your ability. God is the one who brings promotion. When you set the standard, He will raise you up and pour out His blessing all the days of your life.

Father in heaven, today I choose a path of excellence.
I recognize that the work I do is for You.
Keep me close to You
by the power of the Holy Spirit
and help me to rise up higher in every area of my life
in Jesus’ name
... Amen
Old 11-30-2011, 03:25 AM   #866

That is a good one T, I like a dose of inspiration in the morning!
Old 11-30-2011, 05:03 AM   #867
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
"Busy" doesn't begin to describe this week. I'll leave it there. Enough said.

I read devotions that come to my email every morning to start my day with inspiration and direction from above.

This was in yesterday's devotion. It really hit home. Must share:

“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart,
as working for the Lord, not for men”
(Colossians 3:23, NIV)

In today’s society, many people have accepted mediocrity as the norm. They do as little as they can to get by, always looking for the easy way out. If the boss isn’t watching, they’re playing on the computer. They simply go to work to pick up a paycheck, then wonder why they’re not promoted and don’t see increase. It’s because God doesn’t bless mediocrity; He blesses excellence.

Whatever we do, we should do it to the best of our ability and set the standard. Remember, you are ultimately working for the Lord. He’s the one who put those talents and abilities in you. You are a steward of the gifts He’s given. Other people may show up late. They may complain. They may cut corners. But don’t sink down to their level — you are working for Almighty God. You are called to excellence!

I encourage you today, stay determined. Stay focused. Whether you’re a waitress, a truck driver, an architect, a police officer or a CEO, do it to the best of your ability. God is the one who brings promotion. When you set the standard, He will raise you up and pour out His blessing all the days of your life.

Father in heaven, today I choose a path of excellence.
I recognize that the work I do is for You.
Keep me close to You
by the power of the Holy Spirit
and help me to rise up higher in every area of my life
in Jesus’ name
... Amen

Thanks also for this! This is another thing I will print out and put into my folder. I have a folder of posts from you ladies so that I can refer back to it for information, support, motivation, etc.!!! The first page in my folder was when you told me to "Go For It" about reaching 150 lbs. again!!

I will reflect back on this post when I go to the gym today. I will hear all of your voices again!!!
Old 11-30-2011, 07:26 AM   #868
Senior LCF Member

Finally was able to logon Fit Day... Yesterday's numbers were:
1393 Cals Fat (59.4g 38%) Carbs (71.8g 20%) Protein (146.1g 43%)

Question:
How do I know if I am working out hard enough at the gym?
Old 11-30-2011, 11:12 AM   #869

protein and cals still too low.

what are you doing in the gym.
Give me an example.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:40 AM   #870

yes calories are too low, trust me on that, I learned that one the hard way!