LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 02:43 AM   #721
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1960 View Post
Wow Twyla.......I just read through your journey, and viewed all the pics you posted.......and my jaw is on the floor!!!!! What an incredible experience that competition/show must have been.

I agree with everyone on here; as I look at the pictures.......how did you NOT take 1st Place?!?!?!?

For your first competition, you placed incredibly well; you really make us all proud! You ARE an unbelievable inspiration to so many of us.

I want to thank you for your advice; I continue to hit the gym 5-6 days a week, for HIIT cardio and heavy weights. The only thing I may have been doing wrong, (after reading one of your posts), is that I like doing about 25-35 min of cardio, then heavy weights, then finish off with 10-15 min of some other type of cardio. But I see you suggest just a warm up at first, and then doing the bulk of cardio AFTER lifting. So I will plan to change my routine and follow your suggestion. (By the way, is there a reason for it, or is it just a preference?) Shows how much I know!!!!!!

Ditto on what Ileen has mentioned...see note below...*

I did finally break into Onederland for the first time in many years.........and I've held there now for three days straight, so I feel pretty confident that it was a solid loss.....YAY! But I am trying not to dwell on the scale too much, as I am feeling really good and I actually feel like I am shrinking, so I KNOW that I am losing inches........and that's GREAT! So I may not weigh myself now anymore, for a couple of weeks. Perhaps around thanksgiving, but not sooner.

Thank you again for everything you share with us. Your journey has been remarkable, and your dedication shines through with how fantastic you look! Keep up the great work, and we will try to work hard on our ends to show our support to all your efforts on this board.
Linda, you're a doll! Loving hearing about this MINDSET of yours, your recent break into ONEderland, and the sounds of determination I both see and hear in the thoughts you've shared here. Yes, girl YOU keep it up too. We both will. We all will. WE MUST.

*And to elaborate on what Ileen has said to you: Warming up with light cardio is fine because your muscles will have warmed up and be less stiff, therefore less likely to cause injury. But if you do extended cardio before lifting, the quality of your lifting is most like going to suffer because you’ve tapped well into your energy sources. When you are training progressively, the last few reps of each set require the most energy, and if you’ve done your cardio first, you may not have the energy to MAXIMIZE that crucial time of your training. And if you continue to train consistently in a weakened state, or one in which your strength is compromised, then this can lead to a decrease in your strength gains over time because your muscles cannot be fully challenged – they’ve had to “share” fuel with cardio. This means that you are not getting the full benefit of weight training and your progress won't have met its greatest potential.

Make sense? So for building muscle, do the weight training first.

The cardio done AFTER weight lifting is for pure fat burning. The carbs have been used up as fuel, and as long as you’re sufficiently fueled with adequate protein throughout the day (VERY IMPORTANT!), your body will draw upon fat reserves for its fuel in this time following lifting to fuel the cardio. A win/win. Build muscle; burn fat.

There’s no guarantee that the fuel used for post-lifting cardio is all fat, of course. But as long as you’re eating plenty of protein, it should be a primarily muscle-sparing session. In my case, when my aim was to BUILD my back, I did not do ANY cardio following back training days. Only morning cardio, fasted. I would do my back training later in the afternoon or early evening.

Thank you, Linda, for your kindess and kudos. So glad to see you moving forward with your passion of meeting your own goals. Hope you have a fabulous day/week. Your words and joy are contagious...inspiring indeed...so bring it on!
WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2011, 02:50 AM   #722

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
T, I hope you get some downtime! :hug:

This week should be a diet break.. eating healthy and not measuring and NO training or cardio...........then ease back in.. (that is lbc way) Your body needs the mental and physical break.
Girl, you're a breath of fresh air to me. Every word, every time.

I doubt "down time" is in the cards for me this week, but I'm gonna hang tight and push through this.

As for the diet break, I'd say with the number of hours I've spent cramming junk in my face, that should qualify for "diet break."

I haven't measured, but I have tried to resume mindfulness and healthy eating, just haven't been consistent with it. YET. I don't feel well physically as a result. Eating crap makes for feeling like crap. Yesterday was good. One day down. Today will be a success. I am determined to make that happen.

My son has joined my gym, and he was so restless last night, begging for me to take him to the gym. I was exhausted from our trial, and mentally exhausted in any event. Didn't go, but will likely have to go tonight to appease him. I will dial it back a bit and pace myself.

My trial continues this week, in addition to extra hearings and "squeeze it in" dockets...so it's roll-up-my-sleeves time and get through this.

Thanks for your support, Ileen. I need ya!
Old 11-15-2011, 03:15 AM   #723

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
T take kiddo to the gym, coax and encourage.. NO training OR cardio (unless you just walk to do 'something' )

Rest. You need a break! (dont make me come give ya what for

Mindful healthy eating, no measuring will help. The food will always be there, dont let that brain take over..

Last edited by inatic; 11-15-2011 at 03:36 AM..
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:17 AM   #724

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Linda- congrats on breaking 200, OMG for like 6 weeks I have been flirting with it, and it is ticking me off!!! That is a such a huge mental achievement!!!

So T i have been eating lc trying to get this weight moving and now again last night with my trainer I started feeling all woozy near the end of my workout, I break out in a cold clammy sweat and everything starts spinning, so I guess I need more carbs, I am not sure what is going on, SUnday I went to the gym and was fine but it was straight after I ate, gotta try something to get this weight moving and my trainer kicks my butt, maybe I need to eat more, such a battle!!!
Old 11-15-2011, 03:37 AM   #725

Amber where are you calories at?
Old 11-15-2011, 05:22 AM   #726
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Linda1960
Stats: 246/201.2/145
WOE: Atkin's Low-Carb WOE
Start Date: Restarted at 205 lbs/Highest wt: 246
Twyla and Inatic: Thank you so much for all the help and advice. God knows I need it!!!!! Tonight I will warm up (10 min), and then do my lifting, and end with cardio (interval training) for about 25-30 min. Does that sound about right? I do have one more question.......I have heard on several occasions, that you can sometimes do TOO MUCH cardio, and that you should do more intensity (HIIT) for shorter length of time. I have heard that anything more than 30 min is a waste of time; is that true?

Bejewelme: I TOTALLY understand what you are saying about flirting with the 200-lb mark on the scale! I have been struggling with the same thing for over 5 1/2 years, if you can beleive that! I joined WW 5 1/2 years ago, at 228 lbs., and in all that time, I could only get down to 205-207 lbs........that's it! I would keep fluctuating between 205 - 207 and continued doing that for the last 15 MONTHS!!!!!!!! (One day I actually got down to 202 lbs. but then the next day, I was right back up to 207!) No matter what I did, I couldn't lose a pound. And I have been working out very intensely the entire time, and still nothing! So, two weeks ago, I started Atkin's, and only dropped 6 pounds during induction, (which isn't allot compared to others), but with hypothyroid disease and menopause......I guess I need to settle for the fact that I have a High Metabolic Resistance, as Dr. Atkin's calls it..... But at least I lost SOMETHING!!!!

Twyla: Congratulations on the check from Atkin's. Did I understand you correctly???????? They are putting your story on their website on 12/20? How cool.....we have a STAR among us! You definitely deserve the recognition!!!!! Congrats, and enjoy getting back in the groove; and have fun at the gym with your son!

Feb 1998 - 246 lbs.-Highest weight Pre-Atkins. Lost 70 lbs on low-carb, and kept it off for years. Then gained some back when I stopped doing low-carb). I'm baaaaack!!!!!!!
Old 11-15-2011, 05:39 AM   #727
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kmcentire
Stats: 223/192/175
Linda: You have the same questions as I do about about cardio, lifting, HITT, etc. I am eager to hear the answer!!!!

Ileen: If only I lived closer to Alpharetta, I could get you to train me.......

Twyla: I know that you are doing great! I wish you all the best on getting back on track... As focused as you are, I doubt your off track is really "off" track!!
kmcentire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:23 AM   #728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
Linda- congrats on breaking 200, OMG for like 6 weeks I have been flirting with it, and it is ticking me off!!! That is a such a huge mental achievement!!!

So T i have been eating lc trying to get this weight moving and now again last night with my trainer I started feeling all woozy near the end of my workout, I break out in a cold clammy sweat and everything starts spinning, so I guess I need more carbs, I am not sure what is going on, SUnday I went to the gym and was fine but it was straight after I ate, gotta try something to get this weight moving and my trainer kicks my butt, maybe I need to eat more, such a battle!!!

Eat.More.

Amber, first, on days you train you really should have SOME carbs, higher quality, longer-lasting (complex) eaten near your workout times. That could be part of the problem.

But I suspect it's more likely a deficit issue. You're probably not eating enough. For your height/weight -- we've been through this before -- you need to be eating close to 1900-2000 cals most days, and I don't think you're doing that -- and esp when you factor in rigorous workouts at the gym. Think about it.

You probably feel that when you have a cheat or two on the weekends that you need to mitigate by keeping your cals ultra low the rest of the week, but our bodies won't cooperate with those kinds of checks-n-balances. When we are properly/sufficiently fueled, let's face it, we have more energy, we FEEL better, and our workouts are not wasted time.

Please consider upping your cals overall for several days in a row, control your carbs by timing them near your workouts (or eat them early in the day and taper for evening meals), and make sure you're drinking no less than a gallon of water a day. You should see movement. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:34 AM   #729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1960 View Post
Twyla and Inatic: Thank you so much for all the help and advice. God knows I need it!!!!! Tonight I will warm up (10 min), and then do my lifting, and end with cardio (interval training) for about 25-30 min. Does that sound about right? I do have one more question.......I have heard on several occasions, that you can sometimes do TOO MUCH cardio, and that you should do more intensity (HIIT) for shorter length of time. I have heard that anything more than 30 min is a waste of time; is that true?

Linda, Ileen will be the FIRST to tell you that one can do too much cardio. Extended periods of cardio are mostly utilized for people in training for marathons, etc., to build up endurance. I like to break my cardio sessions up, and usu never do more than 30 mins at a time. Sometimes I'll do 45 mins when I'm running outside, but not on average overall. HIIT is a time-efficient way of burning fat, and yes, you may want to try one or two HIIT sessions a week and back off some of the cardio other days.

In fact, you can do "feel it" sets with your weight training (warm up sets) to replace the warmup cardio, and that will nix some of your overall cardio time there. I do dynamic stretches, a few minutes, then begin my first 2-3 exercises with "feel it" sets for each exercise, light weights, then begin my normal sets with heavier weight.

Bejewelme: I TOTALLY understand what you are saying about flirting with the 200-lb mark on the scale! I have been struggling with the same thing for over 5 1/2 years, if you can beleive that! I joined WW 5 1/2 years ago, at 228 lbs., and in all that time, I could only get down to 205-207 lbs........that's it! I would keep fluctuating between 205 - 207 and continued doing that for the last 15 MONTHS!!!!!!!! (One day I actually got down to 202 lbs. but then the next day, I was right back up to 207!) No matter what I did, I couldn't lose a pound. And I have been working out very intensely the entire time, and still nothing! So, two weeks ago, I started Atkin's, and only dropped 6 pounds during induction, (which isn't allot compared to others), but with hypothyroid disease and menopause......I guess I need to settle for the fact that I have a High Metabolic Resistance, as Dr. Atkin's calls it..... But at least I lost SOMETHING!!!!

Linda, same goes for you. Having higher calorie days is helpful in keeping the metab moving in the right direction. FOOD for thought.

Twyla: Congratulations on the check from Atkin's. Did I understand you correctly????????
No, that's Amber's check. I'm still struggling along on low funds. But, yes, she DOES deserve the recognition!

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 11-15-2011 at 09:35 AM..
Old 11-15-2011, 09:39 AM   #730

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcentire View Post
Linda: You have the same questions as I do about about cardio, lifting, HITT, etc. I am eager to hear the answer!!!!

Ileen: If only I lived closer to Alpharetta, I could get you to train me.......

Twyla: I know that you are doing great! I wish you all the best on getting back on track... As focused as you are, I doubt your off track is really "off" track!!
Kristi,

Was that helpful to you too?

Thanks for the boost in my quest to regain focus. I think a lot of my lack of focus does stem from being in burnout mode with an extended prep diet and constant training, very little downtime. I push myself rather hard MOST of the time, and anything less seems like a cop out to me. It's how I'm wired. Not such a good thing, I admit.

I'm doing better today, though. I feel better. Good night's rest last night. That always helps too.

Hope YOU'RE having a good day too.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #731

I know you are right T!!! You are always right, and do I listen?? NO!!!! LOL

That is right I cheat then try massive deprivation to make up for it, but this weekend I was good, except for one Bloody Mary and some wine, LOL

I got away from tracking and I think that is the problem, when doing LC I am not hungry and I am eating no where near 2000 calories, you figure 200x 12= 2400 to maintain, so 2000 is what I should be eating, yesterday when I added it up I had 600 calories all day before the gym! I ate a little piece of sweet potato today with lean london broil sliced down, and broccoli, I think I need to go back to Steel Cut Oats man that stuff keeps me going and I add protein powder to it in the morning, the scale will budge eventually but I hate not being able to bust butt at the gym!

Had my meeting with my plastic surgeon, after looking at my belly, he said if he cut me today I could easily end up a size 8, an 8???????? I about fell off my chair! He said I can feel your abs under there! I am going to do all I can to get to like 170 and then have the surgery, he said I have an enormous amount of skin and I know you are going to feel so much better when it is gone about yourself! He said if I get to 170 and lose 25 pounds after surgery I might be a size 6, this is crazy talk, I said I will bet you I am not that, he said do you trust me or not, LOL He said I am beautiful I look wonderful and need to be kinder to myself, LOL I said I suppose! Its easy to dwell on all the bad crap! He wants to hang my before and after pic in his office, he is blown away!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:18 AM   #732
Senior LCF Member

I have more questions about the gym.... The owner of the gym told me to do MWF machines/weights with some cardio and cardio only on TTh.... What would yall suggest? I may be asking the same question over and over and not realize it, but if I am, Sorry.... I want to get it right. I don't want to be going and not see any results. Then I would get discouraged. They have a lot of personal trainers there, but I can't fit that into my budget now.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #733

Kristie- that might be a good routine to start with, everyone is different, I think the most important thing is getting on a good schedule, like for me if I don't go straight after work its not happening!!! I do 4 days of lifting and then try to do 3 days of running, but I have been all out of whack lately, now I am trying to fit in yoga I like at 7:30 pm, so gym then dinner, kids family back to gym, not sure how that will work, Sat is always spinning I like that, good calorie burner, now they are offering pilates on Fri nights, so I have to see if I can try one of those classes, but if I do spinning I know I cant run that day, but I have been trying to mix things up. So to get back to your question, lOL start doing MWF machine and TTH all cardio, it has to be what is comfortable for you and easy to remember, some days I get to the gym and I am like what am I doing??LOL

When I started last Jan that is exactly what I did and it got me in the habit of going and I knew what to do, sometimes I wish I could just do that again, the more you learn the more there is to do and it feels like its never enough, LOL
Old 11-16-2011, 02:40 AM   #734

Quote:
I have more questions about the gym.... The owner of the gym told me to do MWF machines/weights with some cardio and cardio only on TTh.... What would yall suggest? I may be asking the same question over and over and not realize it, but if I am, Sorry.... I want to get it right. I don't want to be going and not see any results. Then I would get discouraged. They have a lot of personal trainers there, but I can't fit that into my budget now.

Kristi, this is a good plan. You should try this for six weeks or so, and then you may want to change it up, not because it's NOT working, but to KEEP it working. Your body will adapt to the same thing day after day.

That is why HIIT is a good option to throw in now and then. It's an interval approach. So is adding a new exercise to a given day, or adding another set, etc. KWIM?

Your current plan is a good one, but it's only as good as you make it. Commit to that plan with 100% dedication, and put your MIND TO THE MUSCLE every time you work out. Find good tunes to keep you motivated during your cardio. Make every minute of every workout count. Maximize your time spent with fitness, and it will pay off.

Atta girl ... go for it!
Old 11-16-2011, 02:44 AM   #735

Quote:
I know you are right T!!! You are always right, and do I listen?? NO!!!! LOL

That is right I cheat then try massive deprivation to make up for it, but this weekend I was good, except for one Bloody Mary and some wine, LOL

I got away from tracking and I think that is the problem, when doing LC I am not hungry and I am eating no where near 2000 calories, you figure 200x 12= 2400 to maintain, so 2000 is what I should be eating, yesterday when I added it up I had 600 calories all day before the gym! I ate a little piece of sweet potato today with lean london broil sliced down, and broccoli, I think I need to go back to Steel Cut Oats man that stuff keeps me going and I add protein powder to it in the morning, the scale will budge eventually but I hate not being able to bust butt at the gym!

Had my meeting with my plastic surgeon, after looking at my belly, he said if he cut me today I could easily end up a size 8, an 8???????? I about fell off my chair! He said I can feel your abs under there! I am going to do all I can to get to like 170 and then have the surgery, he said I have an enormous amount of skin and I know you are going to feel so much better when it is gone about yourself! He said if I get to 170 and lose 25 pounds after surgery I might be a size 6, this is crazy talk, I said I will bet you I am not that, he said do you trust me or not, LOL He said I am beautiful I look wonderful and need to be kinder to myself, LOL I said I suppose! Its easy to dwell on all the bad crap! He wants to hang my before and after pic in his office, he is blown away!
The PS's comments are surely encouraging to you, girl. How exciting! Hope it all works out for you. You deserve it! You haven't just sat on your ass and wanted someone to wave a magic wand to make the excess weight disappear. You have WORKED YOUR PROGRAM. YOU'VE SACRIFICED. YOU'RE DISCIPLINED. YOU ARE WILLING TO COMMIT.

The rewards continue to pay off...
Old 11-16-2011, 02:46 AM   #736

If only I had stopped THERE.

Too many "morning afters" make damage control a bit more challenging.

But this woman shall not be daunted.

I never run from a challenge!

Old 11-16-2011, 02:52 AM   #737

Geez, T, I would take those bloated abs any day of the week!!! LOL

So the sabateur struck again, Tony had to go for the consult on his other knee looks like surgery the week after Christmas, oh joy! I was so depressed we went to Red Lobster did I get the grilled tilapia with broccoli, NO, and did I shove in 3 biscuits, yes! Oh Gosh I gotta stop doing that, I was all stressed out from the surgery talks and Tony is saying should you be scarfing those biscuits??? Then I get mad at him, and now I am all blown up and ticked, but its a new day and trainer tonight, I should be carb loaded!!! LOL Back on track today!

Ughghgghghhg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-16-2011, 08:22 AM   #738
Senior LCF Member

Thanks ladies for the advice on the gym. That is what the gym owner told me to do this for 6 weeks and then change up. I will be looking to yall when the 6 weeks are approaching and I need to change up....

On the days that I do cardio, what else can I do...lunges, squats,etc.

Can you explain too much cardio to me? And I am wondering if I am not consuming enough calories like Amber. I am wondering if that is why I have been stalled since February. So, how many calories should I be consuming a day. It is hard for me to understand that consuming too few calories can stall weight loss .

Sorry for all the questions!!! If there is a book I can read or a website that yall would recommend, maybe I wouldn't bother all of you with so many questions...
Old 11-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #739

Quote:
Thanks ladies for the advice on the gym. That is what the gym owner told me to do this for 6 weeks and then change up. I will be looking to yall when the 6 weeks are approaching and I need to change up....

Can you explain too much cardio to me? And I am wondering if I am not consuming enough calories like Amber. I am wondering if that is why I have been stalled since February. So, how many calories should I be consuming a day. It is hard for me to understand that consuming too few calories can stall weight loss .

Sorry for all the questions!!! If there is a book I can read or a website that yall would recommend, maybe I wouldn't bother all of you with so many questions...
Kristi, to shed light on your question, go to this link and scroll down to Post #11.

Jeff's Medi Weight Loss Clinic Journey

Old 11-16-2011, 09:33 AM   #740

Quote:
Geez, T, I would take those bloated abs any day of the week!!! LOL

So the sabateur struck again, Tony had to go for the consult on his other knee looks like surgery the week after Christmas, oh joy! I was so depressed we went to Red Lobster did I get the grilled tilapia with broccoli, NO, and did I shove in 3 biscuits, yes! Oh Gosh I gotta stop doing that, I was all stressed out from the surgery talks and Tony is saying should you be scarfing those biscuits??? Then I get mad at him, and now I am all blown up and ticked, but its a new day and trainer tonight, I should be carb loaded!!! LOL Back on track today!

Ughghgghghhg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Trying to understand here...you're depressed why? Because he has to have surgery on his knee? More surgery? Was he not expecting to need surgery? Not sure what made you depressed.

I empathize with your "comfort food debauchery." Wish I could say I was a disciplined, strong-willed person 100% of the time when it comes to diet. I too am an emotional eater. I've gotten MUCH better over the years, but there are still tendencies there that I have to be ultra vigilant towards.

Today is a new day. That's the best way to look at it. Hoping you have a very strong, redeeming workout this evening.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:47 AM   #741
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Linda1960
Stats: 246/201.2/145
WOE: Atkin's Low-Carb WOE
Start Date: Restarted at 205 lbs/Highest wt: 246
kmcentire: Great questions!!!!! I have been bugging Twyla and everyone else on this thread too, for information regarding cardio -vs- weightlifting -vs- carbs/calories -vs- etc., etc........ And they have been SOOOO helpful!

I feel bad to be such a burden of questions, but I want to make sure I am utlizing my time correctly, and not wasting my time with all my efforts too! I just started induction two and half weeks ago, so I am trying to keep my carbs low for now, (and I feel good.............even at the gym................my energy level is through the roof), so I think I'm okay for now with my food intake.

But Twyla and Ileen and everyone else set me straight on some things I may have been doing wrong, so I am now fixing that, and incorporating my cardio with my weightlifting activity to get more bang for my buck!

Good luck to you, and you can definitely count on Twyla and everyone else to steer you in the right direction! Keep up the good work; we can do this!!!!!
Linda1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:14 AM   #742
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Linda!! I want to be doing the cardio and weight training right!! I would be ticked if I find out a few months into the gym membership that I have wasted my time. What a discouragement!!! It is sad to say, but I believe the gym owners are really into personal trainers, but like I said earlier, that is not in my budget. Twyla, Ileen, and Amber are success stories with weight loss and exercising that I will ask them questions until they get tired of answering them!!

I know that we can do this Linda!!! With just a little knowledge....
Old 11-16-2011, 10:44 AM   #743
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
Kristi, to shed light on your question, go to this link and scroll down to Post #11.

Jeff's Medi Weight Loss Clinic Journey

This was a fantastic article and explains exactly what I had been wondering about! That is why when I started lowering my calories in August 2010 and was able to lose 30lbs but since February 2011 I have not seen a loss! Then is when I started trying to work out by walking, some videos, and a little free weight work.
So, my question now is, how many calories should I consume and what types of foods should I be eating....

Thanks so much! You are a wealth of information and I know that God has put a star in your crown for all of the knowledge and help you give to so many!
Old 11-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #744

FOr some of you that are not math challenged here is a widely used calculator.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:07 AM   #745

Quote:
This was a fantastic article and explains exactly what I had been wondering about! That is why when I started lowering my calories in August 2010 and was able to lose 30lbs but since February 2011 I have not seen a loss! Then is when I started trying to work out by walking, some videos, and a little free weight work.
So, my question now is, how many calories should I consume and what types of foods should I be eating....

Thanks so much! You are a wealth of information and I know that God has put a star in your crown for all of the knowledge and help you give to so many!
Thanks for the kind remarks, Kristi. It is always gratifying to me to be able to help others, to share with them knowledge that has been graciously shared with me. The gift of paying it forward. I don't mind helping others, as long as they're willing to put out the effort. Getting fit, staying fit, it's not an easy thing to accomplish, esp as we age, and there are no shortcuts, no push buttons, no magic wands, magic diets, fancy gadgets or machines. One has to have pure, raw passion and desire that burns in them relentlessly, willng to make the necessary sacrifices to see themselves to the finish line.

As for calories question, that's a loaded question, but simply put, you should try to average about 10 x your body weight when trying to lose. You can add more if needed, but that's a good starting place. Some people start at 12 x and then back down as needed. Play with it and see.

As for types of foods, that depends on what you like, how sensitive you are to carbs, how active you are. If you wanna stay low carb, that works, but while lifting/training you may find that you'll need more to properly fuel and build muscle. In that case, you experiment with amounts of carbs, and be sure to track everything every day so that you'll KNOW what works, what doesn't.

Start with 50-75 carbs (if you are comfortable with that), try that for a couple of weeks, eval your energy and satiety levels. Increase as needed.

Keep carbs quality choices: old fash oats or steel cut oats; brown rice; sweet potatoes; fruit; green veggies. I tend to stick to berries, grapefruit, apples and bananas, in that order for my fruit selections. Berries are lowest in carbs and loaded with antioxidants.

We'll talk more as you experiment, as you have Q's.

I'm in trial this week and I'm crazy swamped. Hoping we'll finish today!

Gotta head out early before court for a dental cleaning.... time to shower now.

Hope you have a wonderful day.

Embrace this beautiful season. Give thanks for friends, family, love, health, and God's endless mercy and blessings.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:04 AM   #746

Quote:
[/SIZE]

Eat.More.

Amber, first, on days you train you really should have SOME carbs, higher quality, longer-lasting (complex) eaten near your workout times. That could be part of the problem.

But I suspect it's more likely a deficit issue. You're probably not eating enough. For your height/weight -- we've been through this before -- you need to be eating close to 1900-2000 cals most days, and I don't think you're doing that -- and esp when you factor in rigorous workouts at the gym. Think about it.

You probably feel that when you have a cheat or two on the weekends that you need to mitigate by keeping your cals ultra low the rest of the week, but our bodies won't cooperate with those kinds of checks-n-balances. When we are properly/sufficiently fueled, let's face it, we have more energy, we FEEL better, and our workouts are not wasted time.

Please consider upping your cals overall for several days in a row, control your carbs by timing them near your workouts (or eat them early in the day and taper for evening meals), and make sure you're drinking no less than a gallon of water a day. You should see movement. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY.
Quote:

you can NOT punish your body by pulling back because you ate off plan. THAT is disordered thinking. So stop (said lovingly)
Quote:
Trying to understand here...you're depressed why? Because he has to have surgery on his knee? More surgery? Was he not expecting to need surgery? Not sure what made you depressed.

I empathize with your "comfort food debauchery." Wish I could say I was a disciplined, strong-willed person 100% of the time when it comes to diet. I too am an emotional eater. I've gotten MUCH better over the years, but there are still tendencies there that I have to be ultra vigilant towards.

Today is a new day. That's the best way to look at it. Hoping you have a very strong, redeeming workout this evening.
Emotions DO NOT require feeding it with food, it requires some mental consoling.
I'd suggest your read some of Scott Abel's articles on his blog.

Quote:
Thanks Linda!! I want to be doing the cardio and weight training right!! I would be ticked if I find out a few months into the gym membership that I have wasted my time. What a discouragement!!! It is sad to say, but I believe the gym owners are really into personal trainers, but like I said earlier, that is not in my budget. Twyla, Ileen, and Amber are success stories with weight loss and exercising that I will ask them questions until they get tired of answering them!!

I know that we can do this Linda!!! With just a little knowledge....
am always happy to answer your questions.. time is major short this am. Im due to leave to school (I teach preschool)
Old 11-17-2011, 05:05 AM   #747

Twyla, take the time and rest!

luv you!
Old 11-17-2011, 05:50 PM   #748

T- have a good weekend!

I found a site cougar fitness the gal wrote to me and is going to help me with a plan to balance my carbs and she said I need to lift heavier so I am going to work with her and guess what she said? I need to eat more, LOL So I am going to keep talking to her the next few days and see what she has to say and I need to totally reevaluate and get focused and get on with this, I am copying my trainer so she is going to readjust the workouts! I have been screwing around too long! T and Ileen you guys totally motivate me and Linda and Kim are right there with me! The workouts are my fav and building muscle so if I lose slower I am going to accept that, but I want this fat off and some serious muscle to be built to help with restoring my metabolism!
T- all I gotta do is look at those abs and think darn I need to shut my trap and get to the gym! LOL I am loving this Thursday night yoga though, it is really good to just chill and listen to that music and stretch. The gym is now offering pilates so I am going to do that tomorrow night and try that as well. Lifting Fri as well first, and Sat spinning class. Sunday lifting with Tony!
Old 11-18-2011, 02:38 AM   #749

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
Twyla, take the time and rest!

luv you!
Jury trial over. Far bigger verdict than expected. As tiring as court can be, I STILL love doing what I do.

But now? Yes. Finally. Rest for the weary. And it's FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!

Rest and CHILLAXIN is definitely on my agenda for today, woman!

Old 11-18-2011, 02:42 AM   #750

Quote:
T- have a good weekend!

I found a site cougar fitness the gal wrote to me and is going to help me with a plan to balance my carbs and she said I need to lift heavier so I am going to work with her and guess what she said? I need to eat more, LOL So I am going to keep talking to her the next few days and see what she has to say and I need to totally reevaluate and get focused and get on with this, I am copying my trainer so she is going to readjust the workouts! I have been screwing around too long! T and Ileen you guys totally motivate me and Linda and Kim are right there with me! The workouts are my fav and building muscle so if I lose slower I am going to accept that, but I want this fat off and some serious muscle to be built to help with restoring my metabolism!
T- all I gotta do is look at those abs and think darn I need to shut my trap and get to the gym! LOL I am loving this Thursday night yoga though, it is really good to just chill and listen to that music and stretch. The gym is now offering pilates so I am going to do that tomorrow night and try that as well. Lifting Fri as well first, and Sat spinning class. Sunday lifting with Tony!
Amber, sounds like a plan. Ya can't go wrong by lifting heavier and eating more. Wow, does that sounds strangely familiar, that tune....

Make friends with your mirror today, Amber. It will reinforce your resolve and reward your efforts far more meaningfully than those "slow scale losses."

Make it a good one!