Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 07:30 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
Hey Twyla!

I am so happy to hear that your back is feeling better! I think that you're very wise to give yourself a few more days before getting back into the weight room. Much smarter than I am. :blush:

I know how you feel about all of this rain - we got got hit with another storm last night. Luckily, most of the really bad stuff hit north or south of us, but we still got a lot of rain, and were under a tornado watch most of the night. I can't believe how many people have lost their lives to these stroms.

Take care, sweetie, and have yourself a great day.
Firm Hottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2011, 08:00 AM   #32
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firm Hottie View Post
Hey Twyla!

I am so happy to hear that your back is feeling better! I think that you're very wise to give yourself a few more days before getting back into the weight room. Much smarter than I am. :blush:

I know how you feel about all of this rain - we got got hit with another storm last night. Luckily, most of the really bad stuff hit north or south of us, but we still got a lot of rain, and were under a tornado watch most of the night. I can't believe how many people have lost their lives to these stroms.

Take care, sweetie, and have yourself a great day.
Laura, I am JUST as eager to train again as you no doubt are. I was just flat pissed off on Saturday, after the incident, because it meant not getting to train for ____ number of days? Weeks? After a long pity party that consumed me for the first 48 hrs, I enterd that "acceptance" stage and things began looking up. I realized that if I train before my body is ready, it will only delay me further. I'm getting older, and my body isn't as resiliant as it used to be. Besides, working out generates major stresses on our bodies, tears in the muscles and tendons, and my body has to be in its best form to recover from this sort of "trauma" that working out causes.

In the meantime, I'm watching cals a little closer, dropping carbs a little more, and making sure I keep adequate/higher levels of protein. Cardio as tolerated. Callanetics--definitely.

I'll test the waters on Friday, very carefully and slowly, and listen carefully to bodily signals. If I'm not ready, I'll wait.

These storms? Yes. Not good. And very sad that so many have lost their lives. How we need an end to all of this bad weather. I've never craved sunshine this much in my entire life.

Hope you're feeling better today...?
WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:19 PM   #33

Okay. I ran again this morning. No issues. None whatsoever. I felt no discomfort at all today. I think I'm ready for a light training workout tomorrow. I've decided to hit the gym tomorrow afternoon. I'll get out of court early tomorrow afternoon, so I'll try to be at the gym by 3:00. See how it goes.

I wanna go ahead and do fasted cardio again tomorrow morning, weather permitting.

This morning the storm clouds were still lingering, following last night's storms. The sun was putting up a good fight to force its way through, and the elements were struggling to see who was most powerful -- sun, wind, storm clouds. In a grand finale, the sun won out in a timely manifestation, just as I was ending my run. I cannot describe how beautiful the sight I beheld. I had just stopped, dripping with sweath, out of breath, grabbing my water bottle that was sitting by the lamp post, and rounding the corner to catch my breath and walk it out and cool it down. Just as I rounded the corner, BAM, the sun had burst through the thick wall of clouds in a glorious glowing victory, its amber radiance showering my surroundings with a gleaming aura such that you would expect to see from an airplane rising above the cloud cover -- yet almost unrealistically "golden." It's beauty and blessing almost made me laugh out loud with pleasure from the deepest parts of me. I couldn't seem to get enough...I wanted more. More. I wanted to just keep going, keep running, keep drinking in this awesome beauty of a new day dawning.

One might ask: Do I dread getting up at that hour to sweat, to get breathless, to push myself beyond my comfort zone at what many deem to be an "ungodly hour"? Not hardly. The rewards, both instantaneous and long term, are well worth the effort to me.

It is indeed a gift -- a privilege, not a punishment. A conscious celebration of mind and body.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:32 AM   #34

Ugh.

Another night of sleeplessness.

Awoke at 1:00 a.m. Tossing, turning, generally uncomfortable and unsettled. Restlessness to the hilt.

Come downstairs, have some skim milk. Blog a little. Read other blogs a little. Read some more.

2.5 hours later and I remain....awake.

I'm turning off the lamp. Shutting down. I gotta. I must. I will.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:33 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Hey hon!

I'm sorry that you couldn't sleep last night. I couldn't either, and didn't get to sleep until 5 a.m.! I, too, used the time to do some reading online, and found what I think will be a great lower body workout for us both. I'm going to do it today, and will share it with you afterwards.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:28 PM   #36

Quote:
Hey hon!

I'm sorry that you couldn't sleep last night. I couldn't either, and didn't get to sleep until 5 a.m.! I, too, used the time to do some reading online, and found what I think will be a great lower body workout for us both. I'm going to do it today, and will share it with you afterwards.
Sounds like a plan.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:42 PM   #37

Well, amazingly, despite only a few hours of sleep, I not only completed 30 mins of fasted cardio at 6 a.m. (10 mins ellip, 20 mins of running), but I made it through a very hectic docket this morning, lasting till 1:00 before we broke for lunch, I then ran errands, bought groceries, unloaded groceries, went for a tan (it's that time again) AND managed to hit the gym for training. I had a strong cup of coffee before I went and 1 dose of SuperPump for added energy. Must have done the trick. Energy still going strong. Yikes. Hope this doesn't bite me in the butt TONIGHT and put me even further behind in sleep. We shall see. At least I CAN sleep in tomorrow if I wanna.

My training went well. No issues.
I avoided working muscles that tax the back as much as possible. I did walking lunges and squat/presses, thought, without issue. Biceps. Abs. Warmed up with 10 mins cardio, 40 mins training, then another 15 mins of LISS cardio.

I find myself getting addicted to running again. Oh, well. I could have worse addictions.

I made it through the day far better than I had anticipated. And with very little carbs in my system, since I've been more watchful this week and not training. Success.

Now..........

It's Friday......Where's my Ergo???

EL NOY
Old 04-30-2011, 08:32 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

I'm baaack!

OMG, Twyla, this workout is awesome, and I know that you'll love it just as much as I did! It's a workout that Kim Oddo (coach) had Ava Cowan (figure competitor) doing right before the Arnolds. Ava took third, right after Nicole Wilkens-Lee and Erin Stern - the biggest names in the biz.

It took me just under an hour to do - including the cardio and totally fried my legs. I'm pretty sure that I could get that down to about 45 minutes, if I had everything set up in advance. As it was, I took that time to get a quick breather in between some of the exercises.

Sounds like you had a great Friday. Here's hoping that Friday evening went just as well, and that you were able to catch up on your sleep.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:39 AM   #39

Updating:

Saturday's workout was a good one. I worked hamstrings, front/rear delts, abs, quads, diff exercises for LB than what I did on Friday. I was going to limit it to 30 mins, but I get so INVOLVED and lost in what I'm doing, I forget how much time has passed. Obsession? Perhaps. I need to work on that. But everyone has at least ONE obession. Maybe I have more than I should.

I began with 10 mins cardio for a warmup, ended with 25 mins LISS cardio.

I limited carbs to about 110. That was all that I tracked anyway, but I don't think I had a great deal more than that for dinner.

I laid in the sun for a little over an hour early afternoon, soaking up the glorious rays and allowing myself to escape (both mentally and physically).

I then spent over an hour cleaning our back screened porch/patio, arranging the furniture, moving the plants from inside to out for the first time. I love LOTS AND LOTS of green plants, trees, etc., on the porch. A lush, green oasis of privacy.

We had been invited to a party at a friend's house, and since my youngest son had not made it home from the beach (spring break trip with his friend's family), I knew we weren't gonna be able to make it to the party in time. I texted them to let them know, and quickly switched gears, throwing together a last-minute invite to a couple of our neighbors for hamburgers and hotdogs, etc., and we all sat on our back porch/patio and enjoyed the beautiful evening. It started getting too cool after dark, so we moved inside and played cards till almost midnight. Lots of laughs. Good times.

I didn't track my dinner and drinks for the evening, but I tried to make good choices, very little carbs, and small portions. (Maybe too much to drink, but I tend to lose track sometimes. :blush: Not a good thing.)

My butt and hamstrings are letting me know that I got the job done yesterday. I need to make sure I give it good recovery time. I may do some light cardio later this afternoon.

It's raining. Again. Will it ever dry up? Oh, well, at least we had ONE day of sun for the weekend.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Hey hon!

Why am I not surprised that you'd also consider Ava an inspiration? I can't get over all of the similarities we have in common.

I knew that you'd like this workout! Just wait until you actually do it - then you'll love it!

Hurray for getting some much-needed sleep, and for being able to sleep in! Sounds like you had a great day yesterday - here's hoping that today is just as wonderful for you!
Old 05-02-2011, 03:51 AM   #41
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: tempted_by_food
Stats: 233/164/140
WOE: HHCG Rogue Style....
Start Date: restart: 7/13/2009
WOW she is stunning!!! What a bodyyyyyy!!! Glad your getting to enjoy the fine weather!
tempted_by_food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:59 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted_by_food View Post
WOW she is stunning!!! What a bodyyyyyy!!! Glad your getting to enjoy the fine weather!

Hey, You!
Old 05-02-2011, 07:00 AM   #43

I feel like crap. I have a cold, I suppose. Sneezing, runny nose. Weak. Body aches. Yuck. And I have to somehow make it through a VERY full docket this morning.

I need meds, but what to take?

Off to court. Gotta get this done.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #44

So yesterday was really crappy. We had a huge docket, and the Judge was calling cases at record speed. I felt like I was running in slow motion due to my cold and sneezing and achiness. I easily went through a box of tissues. As soon as I was able, I changed clothes after work and took a long, much-needed nap. I woke up feeling quite a bit better, surprisingly. I decided to do some Callanetics. My body was aching and tight and I thought it may do me some good. It did. Not surprised. About 35 mins worth. Slept rather well.

Today was much better.

Went for an abbreviated run this morning. Had to leave earlier for a dental cleaning, so I cut workout time short. Wasn't sure if I'd feel like working out or not. But once I got going, it was like a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders.

I turned on my MP3 player, and the first song was Kim Sozzi's "Feel Your Love." Perfect cadence for running. And away I went ....

Nutrition has been on plan this week. Sunday was a high carb day. So I've been low carb yesterday and today. Low cals.

So glad that my sneezing/aches have taken a hike...feeling so much better.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:00 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: westiesam
Stats: 165/137/123
WOE: LC/Low Glycemic/Carb Cycling
Start Date: January 2011
Thank you GOD -- for Twyla......
westiesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:39 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by westiesam View Post
Thank you GOD -- for Twyla......

How sweet.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Hey hon!

Sorry that you were feeling so wiped out, but am happy that you're feeling better.

Just to let you know, Jami did that lower body workout the other day, and loved it. Can't wait to see what you think of it.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:11 PM   #48

Laura, where in the heck IS Jamie? I miss seeing her smiling face around the boards. Say hello for me, k?

Yes, I'll report back to you. On that workout, as WELL as the other one you called to my attn. It arrived this week.

And, yes, I forgot to mention, our mutual admiration for Ava. You're right. Many similarities between us. Very cool.

When I thumb through Oxygen issues, she's one personality that ALWAYS catches my eye (admiration), she and a few others that I hold high. I've mentioned one of them in my blog. I'll give you a hint: Killer Abs.

Now it's YOUR turn for Team Trivia.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #49

I'm pleasantly encouraged with my progress these past two weeks. The mirror and my clothes are giving me lots of positive reinforcement, and that "mean-n-lean" feeling has pervaded and renewed my resolve and focus.

The lessons learned have become ingrained in me, a rewiring of my brain in all respects, placing me on autopilot for guiding each step in my goals, both short and long term.

It's a great feeling to be so in touch with one's mind and body in synchronicity.

I went to the mall today to purchase some greeting cards, and while there picked up a really cute pair of silky femine crops that were on sale. They were a size 6, and a little too loose, but they only had a 6 and a 10, and they were too good of a deal to pass up. The style (flowing/loose) will work anyway. It had been a while since I've bought clothes, and I was encouraged by my dressing room escapades.

I warmed up this morning in my garage on the ellip for 10 mins, raced to the gym, put in a metabolic circuit, no down time, of 35 mins, then did an 8-min power walk/jog when I returned home. Felt great.

I've done about 15 mins of Callanetics this afternoon. My body was aching and tight -- still residuals from the injury a few weeks ago -- and I felt worlds better afterward. Like a personal magic massage.

My eats today are again low carb and low cal, under 1475 cals. Carbs around 45-50. I am anticipating a high day this weekend when my oldest son graduates from college and we'll be dining out to celebrate. So I'm guided accordingly until then. Works for me.

Time to go sing...a morning run on tap for tomorrow.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:52 AM   #50

Feeling bummed and a little nervous.

Have been having pain/tenderness near belly button. More so today, so I called my doc this morning. She wanted to see me right away.

Based on her exam and all other factors, she suspects it's a hernia. Have to chug two big bottles of barium sulfate before 2:30. CT scan at 2:30. Surgery likely, but not sure when.

Argh!

It only hurts if I touch it or put direct pressure on it. No other symptoms whatsoever. I even did Callanetics and ran this morning, no issues at all.

It's the "not knowing" that is troubling me. Why? When? How long? etc.

Looks like this may put the skids on this month's goals to get ready for the beach by mid June. Not sure. I'll be eating strictly low cal and low carb for a long while, I suspect.

Looking on the bright side, it could be much worse. I am blessed with so much ... no right to whine.

Results by the end of the day hopefully.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:00 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Oh Twyla, I'm so sorry to hear this!

I'm so happy though that your doctor is seeing you as soon as possible, so that you can find out exactly what's wrong, and take the steps needed to fix it.

If you do have to have surgery, remember that you have to eat enough to help your recovery along. You know that you can't be on dieting calories when your body is trying to repair itself.

I'll be for you, hon.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #52

Quote:
Oh Twyla, I'm so sorry to hear this!

I'm so happy though that your doctor is seeing you as soon as possible, so that you can find out exactly what's wrong, and take the steps needed to fix it.

If you do have to have surgery, remember that you have to eat enough to help your recovery along. You know that you can't be on dieting calories when your body is trying to repair itself.

I'll be for you, hon.
THanks, Laura. Looks like I'll be needing surgery, although no official report back from the CT. All indicators say surgery. Ugh. No lifting for, um, quite a while. I'm really bummed. Nervous. Anxious. Curious. Restless. Tons of emotions running through my mixed up head.

I can't just sit around and do nothing. Not sure when the surgery will be scheduled, but I hope it's sooner than later. The sooner I get this behind me, the sooner I can move on with life.

I guess I can at least walk, or power walk, as long as it doesn't cause discomfort. But until further reports, nothing else.

Now is when my self-talk is kicking in: C'mon, Twyla. It's not that bad. You have a lot to be thankful for. This is nothing compared to what other people are having to deal with. Rather than whine/moan, stop, lift your hands up to heaven, and thank God for His endless mercy and goodness and blessings. Thank Him for good health, that you CAN exercise at all. It's only a little setback, and something good will come of it. Start looking now for the silver lining... there's always at least one.

And until then? Big, cleansing breath. It's gonna be okay. It will work out.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:41 AM   #53

I slept well last night. I needed it, having been anxious and edgy all day.

I've done some reading/research online on this surgery and post surgery expectations, recovery, etc., and I feel better informed and more at ease. Will talk to my doc today to schedule the surgery in the next couple of weeks. CT scan showed than an emergency surgery wasn't necessary because no peripheral organs were being obstructed. Good news.

I plan to go on a power walk this morning. From what I've read so far (depending on what doc says and how I do), I can begin walking 2-3 days after surgery. After 3-4 weeks, typically, I would be allowed to begin lifting LIGHT weights, or using machine with very light resistance, high rep. No squats or deadlifts for probably 8 weeks. No ab work for 6-8 weeks, unless it's something that avoids excess pressure.

I'm thankful that I don't have to have surgery today (also) because my son graduates summa cum laude from his university tomorrow, and I wouldn't miss the ceremony for the world. So very proud of him. He's really applied himself with dedication and focus.

I hear the birds chirping. It's like the warmup in an orchestra pit before the "big show" begins. I love hearing that "music" in the mornings, esp when I can be outside and walk and welcome dawn.

This surgery may slow me down, but it won't stop me. I'm too determined.
When I want something really bad, I have a difficult time with "let it go."
I can't just let go. I will never let go.

Coffee is so good at this time of day. Just insanely good...

Old 05-06-2011, 06:43 AM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Hey hon!

I thought a lot about you yesterday, and wondered how things went. I'm sorry that you do have to have surgery, but happy that you don't have to have it immediately. It seems that you have what my dad likes to call "the best of a bad situation". Sure, it sucks, but it definitely could be worse, and you already realize that. So for having such a great attitude!

You'll be back to your normal schedule in no time at all, and I'd bet anything that you'll actually recover a lot faster than your doctors think you will, thanks to your wonderful diet and exercise regimen. I know my doc was shocked at how quickly my broken foot healed, and I'm not in half as good a shape as you are! Your body just might like this little break, and come back even better when you can lift again.

Congratulations to both you and your son. You must be so proud of him!
Old 05-07-2011, 03:13 AM   #55

Quote:
Hey hon!

I thought a lot about you yesterday, and wondered how things went. I'm sorry that you do have to have surgery, but happy that you don't have to have it immediately. It seems that you have what my dad likes to call "the best of a bad situation". Sure, it sucks, but it definitely could be worse, and you already realize that. So for having such a great attitude!

You'll be back to your normal schedule in no time at all, and I'd bet anything that you'll actually recover a lot faster than your doctors think you will, thanks to your wonderful diet and exercise regimen. I know my doc was shocked at how quickly my broken foot healed, and I'm not in half as good a shape as you are! Your body just might like this little break, and come back even better when you can lift again.

Congratulations to both you and your son. You must be so proud of him!
Laura, thank you. That's so sweet of you.

My appt with the surgeon went well yesterday. He left a very positive impression on me; very knowledgeable, kind, thorough, experienced. He put my fears at ease.

My surgery is scheduled for May 18th. He told me I could return to cardiovascular activities very soon afterward, within DAYS. And he even encouraged it. As for lifting, he said to wait 2-3 weeks. I thought he was gonna say 2-3 months. I'll need to start out light and work my way back to where I was before. No problem with that. I forgot to ask about when I could resume ab work. I'll ask him later when I see him again, but I'm sure my body will let me know the answer to that as well.

He did assure me that despite what many people in my world have been saying (my weight lifting caused this in the first place) that indeed it was NOT caused by anything I'd done in the weight room, and if anything, lifting weights helps to IMPROVE the strength of soft tissues making injury less likely than for those who do not strength train. He applauded my fitness level and encouraged me to return to status quo as soon as I was released to do so. (Insert VERY HUGE smile!) He explained that it was a weakness in my abdominal wall near the umbilicum that was there from birth most likely, and that normally the hernia/rupture happens much sooner, when one is a child, but that in my case it is just now manifesting.

Very anxious to get this corrected and behind me.

Thanks for thinking of me.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:18 AM   #56

Yesterday morning I ended up going for a run, after warming up with 10 mins on the elliptical. Felt F A B U L O U S. I could have run forever, it seemed. Total run time was 27 mins, for a total of 37 for the cardio. If I had known that my doc was gonna call with orders to see my surgeon yesterday morning/noon, instead of me going in to work, I would have run a little longer.

I was dressed and ready for work when my doc called. So I had a bit of a waiting game before the appt with the surgeon.

My eats all week after been SPOT ON. Under 1400 cals for the last four days. 1500 one day early in the week. Carbs have been under 50 every day. I'm very much "on track" so I'm encouraged.

Today will be a higher day, both carbs and cals, given that we'll be eating out after the ceremony.

Going for another run this morning...mental cleansing, physical uplifting.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:17 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: westiesam
Stats: 165/137/123
WOE: LC/Low Glycemic/Carb Cycling
Start Date: January 2011
Hi Twyla
Sorry to hear that you have to have surgery - but GLAD that's it's something that can be fixed -- you'll be back to 100% in very short order --you're already in such great health and shape that this isn't even a blip in the road.....enjoy the graduation today -- remember -- LIFE IS GOOD.....
westiesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
Laura, thank you. That's so sweet of you.

My appt with the surgeon went well yesterday. He left a very positive impression on me; very knowledgeable, kind, thorough, experienced. He put my fears at ease.

My surgery is scheduled for May 18th. He told me I could return to cardiovascular activities very soon afterward, within DAYS. And he even encouraged it. As for lifting, he said to wait 2-3 weeks. I thought he was gonna say 2-3 months. I'll need to start out light and work my way back to where I was before. No problem with that. I forgot to ask about when I could resume ab work. I'll ask him later when I see him again, but I'm sure my body will let me know the answer to that as well.

He did assure me that despite what many people in my world have been saying (my weight lifting caused this in the first place) that indeed it was NOT caused by anything I'd done in the weight room, and if anything, lifting weights helps to IMPROVE the strength of soft tissues making injury less likely than for those who do not strength train. He applauded my fitness level and encouraged me to return to status quo as soon as I was released to do so. (Insert VERY HUGE smile!) He explained that it was a weakness in my abdominal wall near the umbilicum that was there from birth most likely, and that normally the hernia/rupture happens much sooner, when one is a child, but that in my case it is just now manifesting.

Very anxious to get this corrected and behind me.

Thanks for thinking of me.
See, what did I tell you? This is the best of a bad situation! You'll be back to normal in no time at all, hon.

I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!
Old 05-11-2011, 02:39 AM   #59

Thank you, Sharon and Laura.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:51 AM   #60

Well, I'm one week away from S day. The weekend was rough; I was in a good bit of pain and was wondering how I'd last till the 18th, worried about what to do about work, getting coverage there; and just generally uncomfortable and anxious.

Thankfully, I'm feeling much better. The pain isn't as intense and is very manageable, as long as I don't allow anything to touch my stomach. I can't even put lotion on my abs/stomach area after showering. I totally avoid that area. It has gotten far more tender as the days pass. Very eager to get this behind me.

We have a murder trial scheduled next week, and I have to find "reliable/experienced" coverage for Wednesday and Thursday. I plan to return to work on Friday. This is stressful. Wouldn't you know, this case goes to trial the week of my surgery.

I've been able to do Callanetics -- with the exception of anything that engages or "touches" my abs -- and cardio on my elliptical, lower intensity and without using the handle bars, just using balance so that there is not "pulling" on my abs or waist with the motion of the bars. I would go crazy if I didn't get to do SOME form of exercise.

I had the most bizarre dream. It lasted all night. It's one of those dreams that seem SO REAL, the kind that when you wake up, you're still "in it," mentally, and you haven't returned to reality, so you're living and functioning in a different mindset.

Very unsettling.

I'm having my coffee. Ready to do some Callanetics and cardio.