Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 07:26 AM   #301
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Ugh Twyla! Im sorry you lost your post.. you put so much of you in ea one.

Amber, dont be affraid of them.. Use the carbs on a training day as you are.. The more one avoids them but the more sensitive you become. in a caloric deficit, you can not gain fat.. (TRUE metabolic issues asside)
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2011, 07:50 AM   #302

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Ileen- I know you are right carbs get such bad rep, but there is a huge difference between donut carbs and steel cut oatmeal carbs, so I am going with it. Its such a game figuring out what works and what doesn't. I was still 209 today so I am hoping this weight is sticking and I see some movement! You beautiful girls are good incentive that it works if you follow it, and do the exercise!!!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:03 AM   #303

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
Ugh Twyla! Im sorry you lost your post.. you put so much of you in ea one.

Amber, dont be affraid of them.. Use the carbs on a training day as you are.. The more one avoids them but the more sensitive you become. in a caloric deficit, you can not gain fat.. (TRUE metabolic issues asside)
Ileen, those were EXACTLY my thoughts as I was reading her comment on the carbs thing. Ditto to THAT!
WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:07 AM   #304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
Ileen- I know you are right carbs get such bad rep, but there is a huge difference between donut carbs and steel cut oatmeal carbs, so I am going with it. Its such a game figuring out what works and what doesn't. I was still 209 today so I am hoping this weight is sticking and I see some movement! You beautiful girls are good incentive that it works if you follow it, and do the exercise!!!
Amber, much truth in THIS. When people think of carbs, they're more likely to think of higher glycemic carbs (and/or crap carbs), which are far more likely to cause blood sugar issues, promote hunger and overeating, and eventually increased FAT storage.

Moderate carbs, smartly chosen, strategically timed = more energy and leaner, stronger body.

Yes, there's a bit of trial and error in choosing the right ones, how much, etc., but the process can be eye opening and serve us well if we are patient.

Your calorie and carb targets sound reasonable for now, esp as you're expending less energy than you had been.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 08-02-2011 at 08:09 AM..
Old 08-02-2011, 08:14 AM   #305

Yes like on days I know I go to the gym at 4:00pm, I am eating oatmeal for breakfast and then like brown rice or quinoa with lunch and making sure I measure an exact portion, then after the gym, I try not to eat many carbs, usually 1 c of skim milk in a protein shake and then that holds me til dinner time which is usually a darn chicken breast and some veggies. Man I am sick to death of chicken but its low fat good protein and easy to grill, LOL. I did mix it up with a huge turkey breast this week, LOL I think loading the carbs early in the day gives more chance to burn them off. I think the non exercise days are harder. One thing I notice is eating the good carbs, I really do not crave junk, maybe it cause I find them so exciting after not eating them for so long, but man do I get excited about brown rice day, LOL
Old 08-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #306

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
Amber, much truth in THIS. When people think of carbs, they're more likely to think of higher glycemic carbs (and/or crap carbs), which are far more likely to cause blood sugar issues, promote hunger and overeating, and eventually increased FAT storage.

Moderate carbs, smartly chosen, strategically timed = more energy and leaner, stronger body.

Yes, there's a bit of trial and error in choosing the right ones, how much, etc., but the process can be eye opening and serve us well if we are patient.

Your calorie and carb targets sound reasonable for now, esp as you're expending less energy than you had been.
yep and yes!!

Quote:
yes you are right.. but i'll insert, that properly times/cals etc, even that can be eaten, in a deficit and you will still lose.
For eg..
My coach assigns pwo.. protein and xx amt of carbs (individual to ea client, though many have the same guideline amts) and you can use that 'allowance' to eat whatever you want as long as it fits cals/carbs.. People get quite creative. I personally choose the natural complex ones but the gals that dont, are ript to shreds just as well stepping on stage to compete.

im not telling you to eat donuts mind you just proving a point and as noted what T says.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #307

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCinSC View Post
I need to catch up on my reading in here, but first I have to say your new avatar pic is fantastic! You look amazing!

I'm going to have to research LGIF too. I have insulin resistance issues too. I'm learning so much from you!
Stephanie, thank you. And about the insulin resistance thing, this has been quite an eye-opener for me, this whole fasting thing helping to control the insulin better. Who would have thought? I used to protest loud and long at the thought of giving up my habitual morning coffee and little pre workout snack. Thought, nah, there's no way I could stick to a fast day after day like that w/o my "ritual."

Proved myself wrong. The longer you do it, the easier it becomes.

However, IF'g is not for everyone. It is not the be all end all to meal planning or macronutrient planning by any stretch. But for those who have tried it and have found that it makes it easier to stay in a deficit or to not overeat (mostly out of habit), it's truly beneficial.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:22 AM   #308

Quote:
Yes like on days I know I go to the gym at 4:00pm, I am eating oatmeal for breakfast and then like brown rice or quinoa with lunch and making sure I measure an exact portion, then after the gym, I try not to eat many carbs, usually 1 c of skim milk in a protein shake and then that holds me til dinner time which is usually a darn chicken breast and some veggies. Man I am sick to death of chicken but its low fat good protein and easy to grill, LOL. I did mix it up with a huge turkey breast this week, LOL I think loading the carbs early in the day gives more chance to burn them off. I think the non exercise days are harder. One thing I notice is eating the good carbs, I really do not crave junk, maybe it cause I find them so exciting after not eating them for so long, but man do I get excited about brown rice day, LOL
you dont have to eat just chicken breast!!

we eat ANY lean protein which includes and not limited to:
turkey breast, fish, chicken , eggwhites, cottage cheese, greek yog, sirloin steak....... we add our fats on the side so we get them too.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:25 AM   #309

Quote:
Stephanie, thank you. And about the insulin resistance thing, this has been quite an eye-opener for me, this whole fasting thing helping to control the insulin better. Who would have thought? I used to protest loud and long at the thought of giving up my habitual morning coffee and little pre workout snack. Thought, nah, there's no way I could stick to a fast day after day like that w/o my "ritual."

Proved myself wrong. The longer you do it, the easier it becomes.

However, IF'g is not for everyone. It is not the be all end all to meal planning or macronutrient planning by any stretch. But for those who have tried it and have found that it makes it easier to stay in a deficit or to not overeat (mostly out of habit), it's truly beneficial.
Like anything else a tool....
i find it easy/natural and im not starving. I havent eaten yet, since 8pm yesterday.. Im not hungry... Once i start eating, i'd be so eating more at once or more frequent through 'the window' is definitely satisfying!
Old 08-02-2011, 08:28 AM   #310

Quote:
Amber, have you thought about buying a bag of frozen tilapia filets or flounder? I buy the big ziploc bags with individually sealed filets inside, and you can brown those in a pan in a flash, with a little seasoning, and you're good to go... way low in fat and high in protein. I also buy tuna and have that a couple of times per week. Fat-free cottage cheese, another source of good lean protein. And egg whites (can be sauted with veggies and topped on tortilla for a yummy burrito or quesadilla). Just some extra ideas for you.

And yes, I know the feeling about getting excited for higher carb days. I look forward to my Protein Oatmeal No-Bake Bars, my Protein Oatmeal Pancakes, and the brown rice as well -- my three favorite higher carb delights.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:33 AM   #311

Quote:
yes you are right.. but i'll insert, that properly times/cals etc, even that can be eaten, in a deficit and you will still lose.
For eg..
My coach assigns pwo.. protein and xx amt of carbs (individual to ea client, though many have the same guideline amts) and you can use that 'allowance' to eat whatever you want as long as it fits cals/carbs.. People get quite creative. I personally choose the natural complex ones but the gals that dont, are ript to shreds just as well stepping on stage to compete.
im not telling you to eat donuts mind you just proving a point and as noted what T says.
Turning green with envy here, Ileen....how I wish I could have NO WORRIES about the carbs I choose, as long as I'm within my guidelines. My problem is, it starts an avalanche. More is better kind of thing.

My neighbor summed it up a few days ago, while we were sitting outside talking one evening, and she said, "[It's] all or nothing for me. I'm either on a diet, feeling deprived, but losing weight and doing great, or I'm eating everything in sight. Don't hand me ONE cookie while I'm dieting and think I can stop there. Hell, no. I want the whole damn bag or nothing at all!"
Old 08-02-2011, 08:37 AM   #312

Quote:
Like anything else a tool....
i find it easy/natural and im not starving. I havent eaten yet, since 8pm yesterday.. Im not hungry... Once i start eating, i'd be so eating more at once or more frequent through 'the window' is definitely satisfying!
Exactly. A tool.

Ditto for me. I had my last meal at 7:30 last night, and it's now 11:35 and I haven't heard my tummy growl YET. Just now beginning to feel a little hunger. As I said, each day has seemed easier, esp since I hit about week 3 into the fasting.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:05 AM   #313

Quote:
Turning green with envy here, Ileen....how I wish I could have NO WORRIES about the carbs I choose, as long as I'm within my guidelines. My problem is, it starts an avalanche. More is better kind of thing.

My neighbor summed it up a few days ago, while we were sitting outside talking one evening, and she said, "[It's] all or nothing for me. I'm either on a diet, feeling deprived, but losing weight and doing great, or I'm eating everything in sight. Don't hand me ONE cookie while I'm dieting and think I can stop there. Hell, no. I want the whole damn bag or nothing at all!"
i hear ya! that is why i dont choose the treats most of the time, other than refeeds.. carbs are a plenty then lol... but also because in a deficit, while food is limited, i want the most nutritional bang for my cals/health..

Its a lifestyle, so once at maintenance, there is room for more.. but WE know, doing what we did, we bring us back to what we were................. fine line lol.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:05 AM   #314

Monday Updates

Okay. Let's try this again.

Yesterday was the second day of lower carb, lower cal. I tracked up until dinnertime. A woman of habit, I tend to eat clean, stripped down, wholesome whole foods mostly, which are easier to weigh and track nutrients. But last night, having company, they wanted something different. I fixed low carb Chicken Broccoli casserole. My dinner included a serving of that, with a spinach salad and a bit of raw broccoli and cauliflower salad, no way of knowing how to track all of that, but until dinner my cals were at 1000 and my carbs at 50.

They asked for dessert, and I baked cream cheese brownies (yes, I licked the spoon AND the bowl:blush. They looked great, but I only had one very small taste/bite.

I went to sleep last night, already beginning to feel the effects of muscle soreness in my glutes from the Callanetics earlier that morning.

My workouts: 45 mins of Super Callanetics, 20 min brisk walk; and late evening I did walk/run intervals for 20 more mins.

The minute my feet hit the floor this morning, I was greeted with protests from my gluteal muscles....HELLLOOOO GLUTES! (Thank you, Callanetics. )

Did not sleep well last night. Too many dreams. Restlessness. I'll leave it at that.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:09 AM   #315
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Balance101
Stats: 207/197/140
WOE: hHcg
Start Date: 10/7/13
Hi Twyla! Thought I'd drop by and say hello, but I'm thinking about cream cheese brownies now... Love your new av!
Balance101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #316

Quote:
i hear ya! that is why i dont choose the treats most of the time, other than refeeds.. carbs are a plenty then lol... but also because in a deficit, while food is limited, i want the most nutritional bang for my cals/health...
Now THERE'S a party waiting to happen.

Ileen and Twyla on a refeed spree...
Oh, how my imagination soars!
Old 08-02-2011, 09:15 AM   #317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance101 View Post
Hi Twyla! Thought I'd drop by and say hello, but I'm thinking about cream cheese brownies now... Love your new av!
Hey, Corey.... thanks -- and as I said, I love YOURS!

Sorry for my sins of digression...my inadvertent, meant-no-harm, otherwise forbidden language that summons the demons of our carb-laden memories...."cream cheese brownies."

When I count to three, you will wake up and come back to your senses...one....two.....three!

Snap out of it, Corey!
Old 08-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #318

Proofreading, getting sleepy...(oh, so boring at times!)

So I'm taking a break to interject an email I received a couple of days ago from wordsmith.org. (Love this subscription!)

As my neighbor wittingly commented, "That almost sounds dirty!"

Quote:
oenophile

PRONUNCIATION: (EE-nuh-fyl)

MEANING:

noun: Someone who enjoys wine, especially as a connoisseur.

ETYMOLOGY: From Greek oinos (wine), + -phile (love). Earliest documented use: 1930.

USAGE:
"While I am more than happy to drink wine of all nations and colours, my husband Don is the family oenophile."
Ann Morrison; Confessions of an Underqualified Oenophile; Financial Times (London, UK); Jun 10, 2006.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:55 AM   #319
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LCinSC
Stats: 314/274.5/180 6'0"
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 6/1/2011 at 282 lbs
Now I am CONVINCED that IF might be a great thing for me. It seems everyone makes a big deal about breakfast, as though we are doing our bodies great harm by not eating as soon as our feet hit the floor in the morning. I have always felt that an early breakfast makes me eat all day long. It seems like once I wake my stomach up with food it will want more and more food. If I hold off on breakfast until mid morning I will be less hungry and eat less food throughout the day. There is a fine line there for me though - if I go too far past mid morning then I become ravenous and I want to eat everything I can get my hands on!

Thanks Twyla and Ileen!

Labor Day Challenge Goal: 250! Starting July 5!
280 279 278 277 276 275.8 275 274 273 272 271 270 269 268 267 266 265 264 263 262 261 260 259 258 257 256 255 254 253 252 251 250
LCinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #320

Your welcome! Just make sure that if you train AM, prior to breaking the fast..., you get some bcaa or a protein shake (which is perfectly fine too) its in the IF protocol.

Quote:
Ileen and Twyla on a refeed spree...
Oh, how my imagination soars!
that would be fun!

Picture.. a workout together in the gym, and then FOOD.........................
Old 08-02-2011, 01:07 PM   #321

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCinSC View Post
Now I am CONVINCED that IF might be a great thing for me. It seems everyone makes a big deal about breakfast, as though we are doing our bodies great harm by not eating as soon as our feet hit the floor in the morning. I have always felt that an early breakfast makes me eat all day long. It seems like once I wake my stomach up with food it will want more and more food. If I hold off on breakfast until mid morning I will be less hungry and eat less food throughout the day. There is a fine line there for me though - if I go too far past mid morning then I become ravenous and I want to eat everything I can get my hands on!

Thanks Twyla and Ileen!
I think it's a for-each-their-own kind of thing. You KNOW your body better than anyone. You ought to give IF'g a go and see where it takes you.

But do as Ileen said if you train in the mornings. Otherwise, you're all set.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #322

Quote:
that would be fun!

Picture.. a workout together in the gym, and then FOOD.........................

Yes, the BEST way to celebrate a refeed!

Maybe some day we can work that one out.

(Just do me a favor: Keep me the HECK away from M&M's...?)

Old 08-02-2011, 01:12 PM   #323

Time to hit the road....getting my hair cut in about 20 mins...

Later on.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #324

omgosh! M&m's are my favorite!!!! errrrr.. ok.. small bag for you, and one for me... not refeed food......

enjoy the pampering!
Old 08-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #325

I just discovered this photo -- never seen THIS one before!!! -- of Hugh Jackman while browsing... One taken in his younger days. Yes, it's rather, uh, large...but I couldn't resist posting this here...now watch, it will get zapped away.

He most certainly deserves "Hot Guy of the Day Award" for this one....MERCY. Does he belong in my fitness journal? Do I care?

Old 08-02-2011, 06:07 PM   #326

Somewhat more realistic size photo. Loving the beard .... AND the bod.

(And for the record, it's no secret that I'm an openly avid Hugh Jackman fan.)

Old 08-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #327

Tuesday recap

Okay. Back to reality.

Today was a medium carb day -- supposed to be -- but probably ate more than I should have. Again, loose tracking at dinner, because we had pulled pork BBQ (no bun for me), slaw, sweet potato fries. Until dinner, I had had about 90 carbs. So I'm probably over target, but I probably needed it. Noticeably low on energy mid morning. Still rather tired. Should feel a bit better the next couple of days having had extra carbs and cals, and maybe a better night's sleep tonight (hoping).

Workouts today:

10 mins cardio brisk warmup
35 mins training, including: delt circuit; plus 3 sets of leg presses; 3 sets of adductor presses/pulses.
15 min cardio s/s following training;

18 mins Ab Jam while waiting on dinner to finish cooking

Cals: roughly 1900
Old 08-03-2011, 06:15 AM   #328
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Balance101
Stats: 207/197/140
WOE: hHcg
Start Date: 10/7/13
Omg! Loving that huge pic of Hugh. It was almost like he was right here...he makes me want to become an oenophile (lol).......what cream cheese brownies?!

Last edited by Balance101; 08-03-2011 at 06:17 AM..
Balance101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:45 AM   #329

Holy crap Twyla, I had all these things to say and now I am slobbering all over myself, LOL I love me some Hugh, although sans beard--- just give me those biceps and abs to rub!!LOL

Ok now I have to remember what I wanted to say, LOL
So are you still trying to lose weight or are you maintaining? You look so good!!!

I do buy tilapia at Bj's in the individual portions, I like buying everything that way since it makes it easier to measure and record, it just seems we eat a lot of chicken and turkey, I did find the most incredible turkey burgers with feta and spinach at the Amish market, homemade with free range chicken, so good!!! Right now for 3 days I have been eating this huge turkey breast we grilled on Sunday, since we get home at different times, I like to have Tony grill on Sunday and then I have chicken ready to go, I cant always wait cause I am starving after working out, LOL When we have the kids and my Gram it is more difficult, they are a little fussier. I splurged and got huge shrimp last Friday so good! I swear eating shrimp and seafood helps me lose weight, I was porking it on not smoking those 3 days and when I went back to shrimp and fish over the weekend the fluid came off!

That was another question for you girls, Tony is trying to build muscle and on his plan it says to eat a bag of raw spinach a day, and I frequently see that mentioned, since it has more vitamins than lettuce I try to eat that as my salad, but why is spinach so popular for bodybuilders?

Also so when you are fasting, you are not drinking coffee in the morning? OMG I don't think I could do that, LOL When I was doing LC I could get by until lunch with just my coffee since I was adding half and half, now I am using skim half and half, zero fat but a few more carbs it doesn't leave me as full. I find it hard to do low carb and low fat, requires a little more attention to detail. It seems everything low carb is high in fat.

I lost 7 pounds in 7 days doing the Dukan diet which is high protein, low fat, carbs only from FF dairy, I was thinking of doing that again, Tony says I need to just stick to what I am doing and let it work, LOL

Trainer tonight, the tops of my shoulders are killing me, I am working on getting divots, it is slight but its coming I am getting one on the back of my shoulder, someday it will come!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:09 AM   #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance101 View Post
Omg! Loving that huge pic of Hugh.
It was almost like he was right here...
he makes me want to become an oenophile (lol).......
Uh-huh. Well, Corey, you know what they say...