Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2011, 06:31 AM   #121
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Majella- I have that same little grinder/shaper with the sponge, although I cut rocks, I love glass too!!! There is an old furnace near here with the most beautiful slag glass, all aqua/teal/ colored, beautiful! When we are both well we want to go back there and collect more it is everywhere with a little climbing and digging. Cutting is so messy we have to do it outside with the wet saw when the weather warms, I will be sure to send you a pic when we cut it, beautiful stuff! I use the little grinder to rough out more intricate shapes then go to my Genie with 8 wheels to finish them. I have not cabbed in so long I need to get back to it when the weather warms! The water is so cold working in the basement over the winter.

Frenchie- I LOVE Orange and Chocolate, you know I am not a baker at all!!! but Linda made a ricotta cake, I added orange extract and sugar free choc chips, OMG is all I can say it was delish beyond get out!!!!! That was a easy one for me!

I was so bad at taking pills, I keep a little vitamin thing right near the coffeepot I get sort of sick feeling slugging all those supplements so I take them at night after I eat, Tony would set his cell phone to remind me until I got in the habit, LOL I am so bad at that! After this surgery I had to write everything down! I hate taking pills, I am so glad I am off everything except the arnica for swelling and vitamins now.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2011, 06:34 AM   #122
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Frenchie'sGirl
Stats: 126.8kg/88.5kg/80kg 279/194.7/180
Start Date: March 2011
Pooti~I will definitely keep that in mind when I do finally try it out. I think I will stick wiht slow pace and add stuff like that later. Just wanted it on hand for when I do. No telling if I will stick to this plan though I do plan on trying to get a few recipes perfected for snacks and stuff when I fly down south. Will help me resist the urge when I sit at Marie's table...she is such an amazing cook!

If I have to give up cheese too then I quit!
Frenchie'sGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:40 AM   #123
Major LCF Poster!

Oh man Amber, I saw that recipe for the ricotta cake Can I just say Yum, yum YUM...as I drool all over my keyboard. I Definitely want to try that. I have arome d'orange and it says the ingrediants are eau and eau d'orange which would make that water and orange alcohol. I am wondering if that is acceptable as a flavoring? I also have the almond like that. Anyone know?

Last edited by Frenchie'sGirl; 04-14-2011 at 06:41 AM..
Old 04-14-2011, 07:29 AM   #124
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
Start Date: January 19, 2011
Diane, glad you are feeling a bit better. Loads of rest and loads of liquids always make me feel much better, even if I'm not sick

Chocolate orange??? I need this, right now!
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:06 AM   #125
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Majella
Stats: 191/183/132
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2013
Cheese oh I love my cheese I couldnt live without it, it's my nightly snack with a cup of tea. When I go to Holland I adore the Gouda but it has to be young though & when I bring some home OH goes mad and eats loads of it lol well it is his homeland cheese I guess. I'm already imaging buying the big rolls of cheese at the cheese market drool....Sorry about that just sharing my cheese dreams!!!

Bejewelme I dont have a glass saw i'm trying to avoid it! I get stressed using the dremel but I'd love to see what you get up to. The thing with glass is it could shatter on me and i've done it and a peice of glass few accross the kitchen hehe I really would love to do lampworking though, I did a workshop once and loved it

Have a lovely evening Diane
Majella
Majella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:15 AM   #126
Major LCF Poster!

Majella I love cheese too and when I came here it was such a shock. Being used to buying our 'square packaged cheese' as Frenchie calls it, suddenly I am in the grocery store here with a huge counter just devoted to these giant wheels of cheese of every kind imaginable, and being able to buy little wheels in the tiny wood boxes. The cheese here is AMAZING. I think one of the most shocking things to me was the brie. I used to scrimp and save to be able to afford to buy brie every month at the grocery store. that and boursin were my two favorites on a fresh baguette. Then I came here to find out brie is one of the cheapest cheeses here and boursin is just an everyday cheese like we would have philly cream cheese at home.

and the baguettes...well, they just dont compare, no way...no how!
Old 04-14-2011, 08:17 AM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Janet thank you so much, you are so right and I am drinking lots of water and resting bunches

the choc-orange is called cavalier orange dark. Yum!
Old 04-14-2011, 08:31 AM   #128

Majella- I have an 8 and 10" saw for rocks, the 10"is oil feed, for glass, or obsidian that is really volcanic glass it shatters terribly, I cut myself up terrible cutting that, so I got a wet saw with a very small, 3" blade and very thin diamond, you must wear tight gloves and eye protection!!! Please tell me you use eye protection with glass? Those shards that fly are dangerous! I was picking glass out of arms and fingers for weeks!!!!

Cheese glorious cheese is there any better food? Oh you are so lucky!!!! I love going to the Italian Market and going in the cheese shops with all those different kinds of cheese!!! The smellier the better, I never met a cheese I didnt like, LOL
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:53 AM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

I'm wondering if I can make a tartiflette with a substitute...that would be so nice if it could work. I <3 it big time!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:02 AM   #130
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: glamazon
Stats: 290/279/195 ** 6'2
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 5/25/2014
Chocolate orange has been a sacred flavor combination in my family for generations! A few months back I made Chocolate orange cookies that were delicious but super flat and thin-- I think I need to practice more on making the perfect chocolate orange fix! Like a chocolate orange brownie. I think your flavorings should be just fine, but I just use orange zest, as we always have oranges hanging around the house. The zest and a little squeeze of fresh juice makes amazing orange flavoring.

I don't know what to think about your shakes and feeling like ass-- I know when my carbs are too low I get racing heart and a little shaky... I dug around and found it was probably a blood sugar issue, or a depleted electrolyte system... both serious and uncomfortable. I would make sure you are getting plenty of magnesium and potassium and salt and such. A high quality chicken broth may do the trick. Also bear in mind you are on serious meds, and maybe your carbs are just too low. (Thyroid!)

Induction level carbs are not for everyone. Maybe you need to do what I did-- pick a nice comfortable level-- like 50-- and just go with it. THAT IS STILL LOW CARB. You can ease yourself into it, and enjoy your cooking and your lovely French foods and not stress out about OH NO! A CARB! And you can enjoy a homemade lc sweet and have a fabulous sidewalk cafe lunch with your sexy hubby and relax. Just eat low carb food for right now, and let the stress go. Once you get the low carb habit down you can see what happens and adjust from there.

...and please don't slave yourself at the scale. It can make you impatient, it can ruin your day, it can make you second guess yourself, it can make you eat Pain au Chocolat, it does not tell you the whole story. This I KNOW from 7 years experience. At the moment I'm not strong enough to keep seeing the low 250's on that damn scale of mine-- again and again and again-- so I've not weighed while I start my exercise program. I'll weigh and measure on 5/11/2011-- one month from when I started. Instead I'm measuring success by good moods, ability to control my eating, a good night's sleep, looser jeans, etc.

Are you going to do callanetics today? Richard? I think he's adorable and kitschy and a really good crazy person. I am headed to the pool soon. LET'S GO!!

Do-Over Divas
Photos of My Low Carb Meals
glamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #131

Angela is one smart cookie and she may be right because you are taking various meds, you may need a little more carb, try the broth that usually does the trick too! Angela is the smart one!!!!! I agree orange zest adds so much good flavor to baked goods!!!!! I think I added that to the ricotta cake too!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:38 AM   #132
Major LCF Poster!

You are probably right and I may be cutting it too low. I had slept for 14 hours with no food, was sick and so yeah...my blood sugar probably plummeted. I am easing up a bit and not bothering to count so much as just eating what I know is low carb. I am making Linda's Chicken, sausage and mushroom casserole tonight. It smells so good. The whole house is just lovely. (can you tell I am hungry?) Hubby arrives home late tonight. I will have dinner waiting on him because I know he wont want that plane food. I have to admit though, when I came here from the US I was knocked over by how good the plane food was on Air France coming down from Amsterdam...I think he is just picky
I will probably mix the orange flavoring with some zest, seeing as I dont have ricotta now I have no idea when that will be....
Today I did the introduction to Zumba cd where she tries to teach how to do the steps. It was a riot. I have two left feet! I made it ten minutes I did my floor stretches after so I would still get some good strengthening going. I dont think I can even come close to moving like those skinny minis
Old 04-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #133
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

zoomba! 10 minutes is impressive! Thanks for working out with me today!

Hope you are feeling better, that casserole DOES smell good!
Old 04-14-2011, 05:19 PM   #134
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tiggy_oz
Stats: 330/249/190 5'10"
WOE: LCHF + IF
Start Date: 1 Nov 2010 (+4 months off & 20lb regain)
Ok you are a champ. I have perfectly working hips and have one hell of a time doing the zumba. Well done!! (insane person).

yay for hubby coming home. I sence cuddles in your near future!!

oh and man I miss good cheese on a wheel. In melbourne they have the second largest population of greeks in the world (athens is first). And greek deli's, with awesome cheese, meats and well I admit the men, were a real drawing point of living there.

You might not have all those LC goodies, but man you have awesome food to eat. Brie, mmmmmm. My ex husband worked as a cheesemaker in a brie and cammembert factory and I miss those days. We were alloted over a KG of the stuff a week. Brie on EVERYTHING!!

"We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world." -Buddha

Tiggy Jones Diary
tiggy_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:30 PM   #135

I remember a winery in Temecula, CA when I lived there, baked a brie inside a hot sourdough loaf OMG it was sooooo good, with a bottle of wine!!!!!

I love brie on everything too!! I have been buying the rindless stuff, OMG like butter, if only I had a good cracker, I miss a good cracker with them like triscuits, I tired those flax ones, nasty!!!!

I so want to try Zumba but I am a clod!!! The gym is going to have someone trained to teach soon, I will try ti and look like a complete dork, LOL

Have fun with hubs, we know we wont be seeing you so bright and early, LOL

AMber
Old 04-15-2011, 03:03 AM   #136
Major LCF Poster!

You are right Amber, I snuggled in deep for a long nap, sleeping next to him is so much better than that big cold bed alone! I missed his so much and he showed up with a bag of burgers He never buys take-out. Yes Tiggy, I had lots of cuddles, I think he missed me as much as I missed him

The Zumba I did was the first cd where they just teach you the steps, they start out going slow mo and add on till they are doing the whole thing real fast...by the time they get to the end of a step I am laughing hysterically at myself. It is so funny! I dont know that I will ever be able to do that stuff but it is fun trying, my hip was sore last night though so I am going to put that one on the back shelf for awhile. I will stick with silly little Richard Simons and the callenetics gal I think.

I am also considering going back to my step to the beat game on Wii. I love that game! I think it's called walk it out in the US. A lot of people make fun of it because they think it is a game where you just walk but it isn't really. For one thing the music can have a pretty fast tempo and I can work up a sweat quickly. Secondly it's not just walking and that's what saves it for me. I have to DO something, that's why I never did well taking long walks in real life. In this game you start out with an empty island. Everywhere you walk are little balls floating in the air. Each step you take is worth a point and the balls are worth different amounts of points. When you click on them they turn into things, Trees, houses, stores, cars, etc. So as you walk your island changes and as you add houses and stuff people start showing up and the sound effects change. SO I know it;s not a game for everyone but it suits me cause I like building things and I could easily walk 2 or 3 miles on it without getting bored. The music isnt too bad either (some of the balls unlock new songs too) Only problem is I am not supposed to walk too much but since my hip is feeling much better I thought maybe I would try half a mile or maybe even a mile and see how it does. I would like different options so each day I can work at something different. I think I will have less chance of irritating my hip if I am changing my routine every day. The one thing I know I can't do right now is the yoga, which is a pity but they want you to move your legs in ways mine absolutely refuses to go in at this time

Oh and Amber, you should ask Pooti for that recipe for crackers she was telling me about that would go well with foie gras, if it goes well with that it would surely go well with brie!

Ready for our work out today Angela?
Old 04-15-2011, 03:15 AM   #137
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: piratewoman
Stats: 239.8/157.2/? 5'6 age:56 20W then-6 misses now
WOE: Atkins- very low carb
Start Date: August 2010
Good Morning Diane from NC. I hope you have a wonderful day, TGIF
piratewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:41 AM   #138

Diane:
Glad you enjoyed your night!!!
That sounds fun I was doing that Dance Revilution on the WII and was sweating like crazy with Bobby before I joined the gym, def gets the old heart pumping!!!! I love these interactive things that dont seem so much like exercise!
Old 04-15-2011, 05:21 AM   #139
Major LCF Poster!

Same Amber, I like this one so much I look forward to doing it and actually have to make myself stop so I dont do too much. I dont have DDR but I do have dance it out and I cant do that one yet either.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:32 AM   #140
Major LCF Poster!

Forgot to post me menu again!

B: Two eggs and one big sausage
L: Slaw w lowcarb dressing
S: 1 square low carb orange choc
D: A bunch of Linda's Chicken, Sausage and Mushroom Casserole and man was it good!

I have a confession to make. I have always, ALWAYS hated cauliflower. SInce I started this diet I have tried three recipes with it, the faux macaroni and cheese, the roasted garlic cauliflower and now this recipe and I have loved it all three ways! That makes me very happy. I always love to add a new veggie to my list of likes
Old 04-15-2011, 06:57 AM   #141
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
Start Date: January 19, 2011
Diane, I'm so glad you got some quality cuddles with your hubby. I'm sure he is happy to be home with you!

The chicken, mushroom, and sausage casserole is one of my favorites! I always eat too much though.
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:00 AM   #142
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

We have the x-box kinect and it's pretty fun. The novelty has worn off, though, and I haven't played it in months... oops ...

I think the veggie predjudice comes from the olden days when people cooked crap to death!! My grandma made the worst veggies ever-- peas in a can boiled within an inch of their lives, cauliflower that was so overcooked it was just mush. BLEAH! I totally understand hating brussel sprouts that were boiled until they are slimy mushy little army green balls-- gross-- instead of bright green perfectly sauteed with butter and bacon. If the horribly prepared has been someone's only experience, then of course they would hate them!

Hurray for veggie liberation!
Old 04-15-2011, 09:28 AM   #143
Major LCF Poster!

You could be right Angela, my mother could murder some veggies that's for sure. Once I got out on my own I was amazed at how many foods I liked that I wouldn't touch at my mom's house!

DId my exercise today on the wii with walk it out. I did a mile and didn't want to stop. That's why I love this game so much, i could just keep walking no problem....
Old 04-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #144

OMG I grew up with the cooked to death veggies, yuck!!!! Everything boiled for hours so not only tasted bad, but had no nutritional value whatsoever! I always make the veggies for the family dinners! We are in Lancaster County Farm country and they even cooked the fresh veggies to death canning them, why? I swore I would never make Bobby eat veggies he didnt like, as long as he ate a variety I didnt care, I remember too many nights at the table til 8:00 staring at lima beans, yuck!

I just made lunch, julian bread, I had the cinnamon raisin out with melted brie, all that cheese talk, I rummaged through the drawer and found a little hunk, scraped off the mold good as new, OMG it was delicious!

I am getting to the cheese shop and getting some good cheese, you guys are making me nuts for cheese, LOL Yumm nuts and cheese, LOL
Old 04-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #145
Major LCF Poster!

I had to have a nice hunk of mountain cheese for my snack today, it's made from sheeps milk and is VERY good. Before I came here I wouldn't have touched something made from it
Old 04-15-2011, 03:34 PM   #146
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Can't you buy wholesale, Majella? Sterling chains at cost are dirt cheap. If you are a business, you are entitiled to buy wholesale!
Old 04-15-2011, 06:30 PM   #147

Majella- with silver being a commodity the prices have skyrocketed, we buy the cord chains and figure people into jewelry have a particular chain they like anyway like I wear mine on a silver omega chain. I buy a few nice silver necklaces and have them at shows, but give the fabric ones away free with a purchase.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:34 PM   #148
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

oooo great idea, Amber!
Old 04-16-2011, 04:16 AM   #149
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Majella
Stats: 191/183/132
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2013
Hi Diane big for you. Don't be mad at yourslef please you were doing what you though was right. But now you know your limits and you can work with that in the future. Maybe you can cuddle up with your hubby for the day and watch movies or something like that to take your mind off things. I hope you feel better soon
Majella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:23 AM   #150

Diane- I know it can be frustrating!!! You are doing what is best for you, I would maybe explain that you need a little support! Remember you are doing this for your health first and foremost!!! THe looks, etc are a benefit fo the improved health! I think early on I was a little moody too! It comes and goes until you mellow into it, you will be fine hun! Stick to your guns!!!
Big Hugs
Amber