LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 03:08 AM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Majella
Stats: 191/183/132
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2013
Hello again

My thyroid is kaput too and I noticed I have to wait at least 20min after I take my thyroid medication and just take it with water if not I'll slow down a week later! Nut's stall me and I never ever had the big losses in the first week that people talk about. I find an atkins bar a day is fine & I'd usually have that for lunch or when i'm out & about. I also have 1 or 2 cappuccino a week & they can be up to 10g each but thats my treat. In the past i've ordered bars off e-bay they come from the US & we are not supposed to import food from the US but they marked the box cosmetics and I got it just fine!

You live in such a beautifl place lucky you! & your hubby is hot!!! Myself & hubby are driving to Holland in Sept and we are spending a few nights in Honfleur on the way to holland otherwise it would be a 12hour driver from the port.

I know things are hard for you but you are doing great and you have to experment to see what works for you
Majella is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2011, 03:58 AM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Frenchie'sGirl
Stats: 126.8kg/88.5kg/80kg 279/194.7/180
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2011
Awww Laura thank you It is still just a house though, and still just in a town, and it rains here, and there are cold days, and there are weeds in the yard...just like everywhere else

Majella, I am TERRIBLE about taking my hormone meds. Since I'm not allowed to take that at night with my coumadin I forget them. I finally put them by the coffee pot and that helps, but some morning the eyes arent open enough to see them I will try to learn as much as I can about it today, and I am sticking to meat, cheese and veggies for now with a little cream

Wow, I'm surprised you found a decent deal on shipping, I will have to look at that. I just paid 14 pounds just for shipping from England for the few things I did order. I did NOT order any atkins bars but I ordered some shake stuff. The nice thing about that site is you can rate things so I ordered the stuff with 5 star rating. I think Atkins only had 3 stars.

Thank you for the encouragemet and I will definitely experiment. I have to get better...I have a young husband that I have to keep up with...and believe me, I DO want to keep up with him
Frenchie'sGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:04 AM   #63
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Frenchie- good for you fro placing an order for some goodies to keep you on track! You will be glad you did. I drink a shake every morning I buy the ready made Atkins shake. I was a not a breakfast eater and that keeps me full until lunch. Along with my coffee. Are you a coffee drinker? Do you have a French Press there? I love French Press coffee. I am sure you will be able to make some yummy experiments now. And as Angela said it is something you just get used to and stick with and then all of a sudden you will have big losses and then maybe some weeks not so much but it all evens out. Try not to get hung up on the daily up and down or you will make yourself nuts!!!!! Just stick with it, enjoy it and it will catch up. You can do this!!!!
Old 04-11-2011, 04:38 AM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Amber, Yes, I am quite excited to get my order. I am not really a breakfast eater either. I have been making myself eat breakfast for awhile to kick start my metabolism but it was always some sort of pastry or a few cookies I made. I am SO bad about the sweets. Now I wake up and that's what I want with my coffee. Yes I AM a coffee drinker. I control it to 3-4 cups a day though. We have a Senseo and they make excellent coffee. The coffee comes in individual packs that you just put in the coffee machine and press the button. Voila! Now before I remember making myself LOTS of smoothies, so I envisioned drinking them again for breakfast and that seems like a great idea. I really hope this stuff is good, I figured if its rated the highest rating it must be since lots of things on there only had 2 or 3 stars. They also had the choco perfection bars that Angela eats but they were only rated 3 stars so I picked a few 5 start treats with the malitol cause I tell ya...I am needing it
I am trying hard to ignore the fluctuations but I just want to see that little graph line going downward not like this ^^^^! I know I am being silly
Old 04-11-2011, 04:44 AM   #65

The chocoperfection bars are delicious!!!!!!!! The are pricey so I guard them with my life, no malitol which is good, although I enjoy the regularity from malitol, next time you order get them you will not be disappointed!!!!! I have a Keurig brewer on my desk at work, and 3 coffee pots at home, I am a little coffee obsessed. I like the designer whey protein, can you get almond milk there? I mix with almond milk, and a little Heavy Cream, rich and delish!! You will find them quite satisfying! I would think you could use like cream and water if you cant find almond milk. I was a huge milk drinker I miss my milk!

Amber
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:50 AM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

I will have to do that then, I guess it would be good to have some NON malitol ones around for when I am regular *grin* I also have been pretty coffee obsessed in the past. When I lived in Seattle I was hooked on Mocha Grandes and drank them from morning to night. I really cut down though as the caffeine was affecting my cysts in my breasts. Now the amount I drink seems to be fine. My problem is the milk. I like LOTS of milk in my coffee and have been using cream with a bit of water added to it. I coudlnt stand the straight cream in the cofee. I did see some almond milk at the store, I should pick some up. Is that allowed on induction though? I used to buy the choolate almond milk at trader joe's, oh my was that good!
Old 04-11-2011, 05:01 AM   #67

I dont know if its allowed but I get the regular and make sure it is unsweetened it is only 1 carb per cup, the one with added sugar is much higher so check the labels! I know the almond breeze brand has an unsweetened chocolate version. I have FC breasts too and I know I should cut down on the coffee I use half and half in mine I try to use less cream, but I use a lot of liquid splenda, zero carbs in that!
Old 04-11-2011, 05:16 AM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

Well I will just have to check this stuff out, it isnt almond breeze of course, there are very few american labels here. It's really funny to, if you go the the 'world' section the American part usually is just peanutbutter and microwave popcorn. Sometimes they put the tortillas and stuff there too. SO weird
I am using the stevia in my coffee, can't say I am crazy about it but its ok, down to 1/2 teaspoon per cup so the flavor isnt too overpowering. SO far I haven't seen anything like half and half here.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:13 AM   #69
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
Start Date: January 19, 2011
Diane, I agree with all that was said about doing a strict induction. I'm a slow loser and average about a pound lost every two weeks. One of the things that slow me down is adding too much of everything all at once. I do best with meat, eggs, and veggies. I do love my Atkins foods and my casseroles though and have to be careful with them.
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:29 AM   #70
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: glamazon
Stats: 290/279/195 ** 6'2
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 5/25/2014
Diane, the thyroid and hormone management are IMPERITIVE for weightloss and feeling good. Losing weight is all about the hormones. Do you have a Kindle (or something like it?) I recommend reading Gary Taube's books. (Good Calories/Bad Calories and Why We Get Fat) You should also head over to The Weston A. Price Foundation and read everything there, very helpful. There is a poster here on this board called nonstickpam and she is the thyroid guru and has very helpful advice for thyroid peeps. You really should NOT be at induction levels. I would raise your levels to at least 30 (with veggies, of course!) and see how you do. My mom has a dead thyroid and had a PE last year, so I am helping her manage all this as well. That coumadin is just awful, I'm sorry you have to be on it. The good news is, it doesn't have to be for life if you can get healthy enough to not be prone to PEs. (I don't know your exact situation, but no one should have to live on coumadin for the rest of their lives, talk about sucking the joy out of the golden years!) Are you taking fish oil supplements? I have my mom on Cod Liver Oil to help keep her blood all slippery, lol. Her doctor knows we are working to get her off the coumadin-- that stuff is just nasty!

Seriously, you have special situations that need exact management, don't discount this! Map out all the meds and supplements you need to take and at what times and with what food/no food... make a pretty excel color coded spreadsheet, lol! Really, do not ever forget to take meds! If your hormone meds are helping to balance your hormones, this is IMPERATIVE to weight loss and feeling good.

I think maybe you should put the scale away for a while? Just concentrate on your health, feeling good, doing all the right things for yourself to manage your thyroid, blood and hormones. Concentrate on eating clean healthy low carb food around 30 carbs. Concentrate on doing your exercises and stretches to help your hip. Forget about the scale, getting hung up on a .4 gain isn't helpful and just makes you feel bad like maybe it isn't working? You are not doing anything wrong, just focus on your health instead of your actual poundage. If you are feeling good and energetic, you can still keep up with that husband of yours despite a .4 gain!

Do-Over Divas
Photos of My Low Carb Meals

Last edited by glamazon; 04-11-2011 at 07:31 AM..
glamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:30 AM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

I am goig to give it a week trial and se what happens but also am going to continue to read the thyroid section here. It seems many of them are of the opinion that I need to hike my protein and also that I might need more carbs than 20 per day. There was also a list of foods I shouldnt eat raw and that is SO SAD. NO more spinach or kobi cabagge salads? I could just cry
Old 04-11-2011, 07:36 AM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Angela we posted at the same time! I have been on the coumadin for 15 years now and they said its for life so *sigh*

I guess it might be better to try the 30 carbs per wek if its a common knowledge thing. To tell you the truth I didnt even consider the complications with the thyroid meds. The coumadin doesnt bother me. I have taken it so long its just second nature now. I dont take any omega oils. D just sneers at all the supplements the Americans take. He says we love to eat our chemicals LOL! I bought a multi vitamin when I started as I know I would need that, I also ordered the amino acids. I do eat fish but not enough.
PS I have a kindle and will be reading both of these books
Old 04-11-2011, 07:54 AM   #73
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just checked out your website-- WOW! I love it! I will have to read through it later today. Just lovely work, Diane!

15 years on coumadin??? OMG. No wonder you don't feel good! That stuff sucks the life out of you! Do you get PEs often? My mom just had the one, and now they want her on it for life as well, not considering what lead up to the PE, or what she is doing to improve her health so it doesn't happen again. Again, I don't know your exact situation, but for my mom it just made me mad. I would do some research to see if you really need to be on it after all these years. And it's too bad your husband scoffs at supplements-- maybe he doesn't understand that some medications and diets can really effect vitamin and mineral absorption and supplements are absolutely necesary. Sure, some supplements are ridiculous chemical pellets, but carefully chosen high quality nature-based supplements can make all the difference to your immune system and general funtionality.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:16 AM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Angela, it is my passion, I love putting the needle to thread my website is really just a hub to collect all my links together. I do have a blog but havent posted on it since my eye dianosis. I probably should get back to posting there before people wonder what happened to me LOL! Afterall doc did say I could do things again, just no stress! no overdoing!

I only had one PE but shortly after when they took me off coumadin I had a DVT so they put me right back on and there I have been ever since. They think my clotting order is genetic but have never confirmed it. Docs here dont normally use coumadin but were wary of changing me to something they use here. They are all very cautious with the whole situation but I do adore my new doc here.

Hubby may scoff at supplements but he also doesn't try to stop me when I want to do something. I am my own person and he respects that. Money is a different matter. We aren't poor but I have to watch how I spend. Having invested in so many things for this diet if I buy one more thing I think I might be pushing over the limit

PS. I got my coconut oil today and couldn't resist just putting it straight on my face. I cant believe the difference. My skin has been so dry and I have bought four different face creams recently trying to help it and nothing did. The only thig that came close was the aloe vera comfrey gel but this stuff...my oh my. I am in love
Old 04-11-2011, 08:47 AM   #75
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

aaaaahhhhhh coconut oil is the best! It's my "night cream" and body cream and first aid cream. It's miracle goo!

I would certainly look into it. 15 years is a long time. If they took you off of it shortly after the PE and then the DVT happened, it might have been just too soon to have you off the meds. I completely understand the need for the coumadin, but 15 years after the fact is a mightly long time... especially now that you are really paying attention to your health and want to do what's best for yourself. I would talk to your doctors and see what they say. I'm glad you have good doctors you like! (I just happen to know a lot about it-- I'm all over my mom's situation and her coumadin nurse will probably attend my son's wedding, lol.)

Hope you have a wonderful day, Diane! You are a very cool person and I'm glad to know you!
Old 04-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

I think at the least I will have her do a work up of my blood to see how my thyroid meds are working and also my vit levels. I want to be a lot healthier before I consider going off the coumadin. My PE was one of the most frightening things in my life and I never want to experience that again!

I realy appreciate all your help and I feel the same about you. When I first came here you just popped out at me as someone I would like to know. Too bad I didn't know you back when I was in the US, would have been fun to meet you
Old 04-11-2011, 10:55 AM   #77
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Future days! I'll go back to France evenually and you may come back visiting here. You never know!
Old 04-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #78
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL I see that you went to L&C -- my dad went to law school there and so did my SIL. I also grew up right down the road in LO. Small world!
Old 04-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #79

What is this website we are all missing? Does it show your reweaving? Do post!!!
Angela is separated at birth with a lot of people, she is just so darn lovable!
Old 04-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #80
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tiggy_oz
Stats: 330/249/190 5'10"
WOE: LCHF + IF
Start Date: 1 Nov 2010 (+4 months off & 20lb regain)
Ya, what uh, Angela the smarty pants said! Glad you have some smarties here to give you a bit of good guidance with the thyroid and other medical stuffs.

The ladies here totally rock! I love waking up in the morning and having coffee with them (well reading and having coffee). I reckon you fit RIGHT in with us mob.

I also can give a big hearty thumbs up to those 2 books angela mentioned. Fantastic for explaining the why's of LC and some endocrinology. COOL stuff, but then I am a science geek.

For the meds you're forgetting - do you have like a phone you can set a daily alarm for it to yell at you? I also uses a 4 stage dosette box when I was taking a billion supps was was trying to get in the habit of remembering. I am a chronic pill forgetter to the extreme. Worked a charm and now it is just a habit and I rarely forget.

"We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world." -Buddha

Tiggy Jones Diary
tiggy_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:30 AM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

Angela! I'm afraid my L&C is different from your L&C. MIne is a bitty community college back home in Illinois. I didnt move to the PNW till after I had my kids.

Amber my website is cymberrain.com if you go there it has a page called 'where you can find me' (the link is at the top in the header) with links to my blog, flickr and my different shops. It doesnt really have anything about my reweaving on there although there is one small article on my blog somewhere. It's just stuff about my dyeing and fiber arts and my blog has different posts about things I have done here but I do try to keep it more focused on my fiber arts than anything.

Tiggy~ I agree with you, you ladies certainly do rock and I also love waking up in the morning with a coffee and these journals. Gives me a positive start to me day and these boards are a wealth of information. I am reading Good calories, bad calories right now. Not really my kind of book but I am gleaning some interesting facts from it. As to my meds, the coumadin I never forget but then after 15 years it is ingrained in my head. The thyroid hormones I have only been on for a year and I have to take them in the morning so I still dont quite have the habit down. I dont forget often, about once every two weeks, sometimes once a week, but I really need to improve that. I also didnt know I was supposed to take them without food or coffee so that might be a problem in and of itself. I took mine this morning when I first woke up and went and laid back down for a few minutes. I can't imagine getting up, taking my pill and sitting here a half hour without my cofee. UGH

Last edited by Frenchie'sGirl; 04-12-2011 at 02:31 AM..
Old 04-12-2011, 02:36 AM   #82
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: piratewoman
Stats: 239.8/157.2/? 5'6 age:56 20W then-6 misses now
WOE: Atkins- very low carb
Start Date: August 2010
Diane, how's France. Dion't have time but to do a drive by...have a great day. Got to get ready for work, talk to you more this afternoon.
piratewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:43 AM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Yesterday I was so hungry I had to battle cravings about a hundred times! I did OK in the food department though, I ate quite a bit but it was all induction friendly.

B: 2eggs and 2 pieces of bacon
L: 1 endive wrapped in ham with LC bechamel sauce(very little sauce)
S: kobe cabbage with LC dressing left over from the crab salad the other day
one slice of proscuitto and gouda
D: Squash soup with sausage and mushrooms
S: rotisserie chicken, the last bits and pieces I cleaned off it, nice little juicy morsels

and I ALWAYS have three cups of coffee with a little less than 2 tsp of cream in each and 1/2 tsp of stevia (sometimes I have four)

SO quite a bit of protein, I really need to find out more about the veggies I am supposed to limit because of my thyroid. That is one thing I want to discuss with my doc. IS it something I need to fear since my thyroid is essentially dead? The wording in the articles I read seems to suggest it is more of a worry for people with malfunctioning thyroids, in other words...their thyroids ARE still functoining, just not properly. Mine is non functional. I plan on going to see her maybe next week. I am going to ask her to do another blood test to check my thyroid hormone levels and also my vitamin levels. I am a little afraid to tell her I am on a low carb diet as I dont think she will approve I thought maybe I would just tell her I am on a diet and leave out the low carb part
Today I am at a loss as to what to cook. I think I will browse recipes more and try to find strict induction recipes. Still wanting some sweet. Maybe I will make Angela's cream. Wish I had my new sweeteners already!
Old 04-12-2011, 04:22 AM   #84
Major LCF Poster!

OK, I decided to try out this low carb cheese and egg crust pizza for dinner tongiht. I put my sauce on to cook cause I like it to simmer all day. I dont know anything about what herbs you can or cant use so I just used what I regularly use except I added a bit of stevia instead of sugar to cut the acidity of the tomatoes.

I also got my grinder in the mail today so I decided I would add 2 tbs of flax ground up to the dough to help with the fiber situation.

The interesting thing is, I only have hard French cheese So cantal pizza anyone?

going to top it with sausage and mushrooms I think
Old 04-12-2011, 04:32 AM   #85

DIane:
WOW those textiles are amazing!! What neat little works of art just the pics! I am loving that rose choker you are working on, I do stone work and silver setting, that is the extent of my creativity! LOL We go on rock hounding trips and collect rocks then come home and polish them up and I set them in silver or sometimes just a bail. We got into a juried craft show and did that last year Tony was all hot on doing shows, I hate them! Neither one of us has had much time and until these arms heal who knows when I can do that! LOL
Old 04-12-2011, 04:42 AM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

How cool Amber, I have always LOVED rocks, geodes, fossils, all those goodies. There was a shop in Seattle on 1st ave that I used to go and drool at all the stuff and they had the most beautiful slices of stones and gorgeous amber pieces. One of the few things I brought with me were some of my fossils, rocks and shells. I know call me crazy but I couldn't leave them behind. I really hated leaving my big rock behind with the shells in the holes sticking out. I picked it up on Ruby Beach in Washington and had it for YEARS. I loved it so.

I don't think I would like shows either. I do all my selling online and really never planned on selling any of it but people wanted it so bad that I just kept making and making and next thing I knew I had a shop. It's good for me though as I can feel like I am contributing to the household somewhat even though I am staying home and playing all day
Old 04-12-2011, 04:50 AM   #87

Yeah shows suck, its like people look at a darn necklace that is $20 and oogle it and ask a million questions and then walk away! LOL

Here was our booth last year, Tony worked really hard making it and I made labels for everything naming the rock, where it is found, etc, We made almost $1000 in a 2 day show not bad since most items are like $20-$25 for just a cabachon but I hate talking about the work and trying to sell it I like making them for me and friends, LOL

WOW I can see how much heavier I was at Thanksgiving! LOL
Old 04-12-2011, 05:00 AM   #88
Major LCF Poster!

You are like me, I don't like trying to sell me things. I make them because I love them and I had a really hard time even wanting to open a shop at first but hubby really encouraged me. I also wanted to price things so low but he helped me to price things fairly so I didnt work for hours @50 cents an hour LOL

You did really well in sales though, that's fantastic. I bet it was a lot of hard work!

You do look so much slimmer in the face now but you were still so adorable back then. You have such a sweet smile and kind eyes
Old 04-12-2011, 06:48 AM   #89
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
Start Date: January 19, 2011
Diane, I know what you mean on eating everything in sight. You still stayed the course though and that is something to be proud of.
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:04 PM   #90
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you Janet, it is not easy!

I have been having a weird day. I did make the pizza and it turned out ok, I think the cantal is not bad but maybe a bit more flavorful than the mozzarella and then combined with cheddar..so-so. Dont get me wrong. It was GOOD...I am just already improving it in my head

I was so hungry and my eyes were so full of pizza that I had to make it at 5 even though I had a endive wrapped in ham at about 2. I ate two pieces and then went back for another at 7. :blush:

I have been really down all day and I'm not sure what it is. Part I know is probably missing DH. I think the biggest part though is coming to the realization that this isn't going to be easy-breazy like it was the last time. I have fairly good willpower as long as I am getting result, even small results but this time around it looks like it is going to be a constant battle to gain even the smallest ground. The lack of ability to exercise, the boredom of constantly sitting here...well truthfully I am going just a bit nuts today. I'm scared I wont be fit enough to enjoy our vacation in June. How fun will it be for D if he has to drag a fat cripple wife along? He is always so patient and kind to me but I wonder how long it takes to get sick of dealing with something like this? It didn't take me long to get sick of it...and it's MESELF.

Hope this isn't too depressing but it is really nice to have somewhere that I can go and just dump all this crap. I swear I am swimming in it today. I am going to try to find something to do to take my mind off this. Sitting here having a pity party by myself is just not cutting it. Anyone have some cheese to go with this whine?