Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 08:34 AM   #31

Gallery: smile20
Stats: 222 / 222 / 130
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 8/5/12
hi there smile thank you so much for the link to you page hope you have a very good day
smile20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2011, 08:49 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: glamazon
Stats: 290/279/195 ** 6'2
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 5/25/2014
<<Wooooolf Whiiiiistle!>> What a hunk! And he's nice and smart, too? You scored in the husband department! More pics, please! I want to see your village! (I am so demanding. I am not sorry.)
glamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:05 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Frenchie'sGirl
Stats: 126.8kg/88.5kg/80kg 279/194.7/180
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2011
Hey there Smile! **waves**

LOL Angela, I tell ya, the guy still makes me swoon every day, what can I say:blush: He is a doll!

As to pics, well I will post a few if I can from Flickr but I have been bad about uploading many new ones there and the storage server has possibly bit the dust. He wont talk to me about it, which means it's bad

Here's a picture of me with witch hair on one of the many bridges going over the canals in Strasbourg
Frenchie'sGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:10 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

And here is a pic of the famous Strasbourg Cathedral from the side. I have much better pictures but this is all I can find right now
Old 04-09-2011, 09:17 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Last edited by Frenchie'sGirl; 04-09-2011 at 09:19 AM..
Old 04-09-2011, 09:21 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

I'll show you some castles when I can get back into my photos. I've been to lots
Old 04-09-2011, 09:24 AM   #37
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: piratewoman
Stats: 239.8/157.2/? 5'6 age:56 20W then-6 misses now
WOE: Atkins- very low carb
Start Date: August 2010
Love all of you piccy's, keep em coming.
piratewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:27 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lovely! And I love the witches hair-- very chic with the boots and the wrap!

I completely understand about the "sweet everyday" thing. I am the same way. Damn sweets! I think you need to find a really spectacular sweetener that you like just as well as cane sugar-- something with an erythritol/stevia blend is agood one, or an erythritol/xylitol blend, I've found those are the most satisfying and with a little effort you can create a perfect sweet that is perfectly low carb... you can make hot cocoa with heavy cream & water instead of milk-- or you can make chocolate mousse like I do, or even the chocolate peanut butter mousse-- a little goes a long way with that one. The only special ingredient needed is the sweetner, and if you are good with stevia measuring, you can even use that.

I say if you just can't stand it and have to have a sweet-- have one! Do whatever it takes to STAY LOW CARB. So you have a tough day and have a few low carb snickerdoodles-- so what? It's low carb and all is not lost. It's better than running to the local pattisserie and shovelling pain au chocolat down your gullet before you can stop yourself. (not that I've ever done that cough cough) The longer you stay "general low carb" the easier it is to make wiser food decisions. The first few months are hard! Don't get discouraged!

Do-Over Divas
Photos of My Low Carb Meals
Old 04-09-2011, 09:27 AM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
Start Date: January 19, 2011
So beautiful where you live! And what a cute hubby
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:36 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tiggy_oz
Stats: 330/249/190 5'10"
WOE: LCHF + IF
Start Date: 1 Nov 2010 (+4 months off & 20lb regain)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamazon View Post
Another thing you need to watch out for is the carb count on European labels-- THEY ALMOST ALWAYS DEDUCT THE FIBER ALREADY. So, the carb count on the label IS the net carb count. Maybe call the company to confirm this so you won't be eating more carbs than you think you are!
THIS!

It is the same in australia. The way you can tell if fiber was already taken out is VERY easy.

Ok so look in the little chart box. If fiber is INDENTED in the same box as carbs - well then you can subtract it. If Fiber is on its own line, NOT indented then it has already been taken out.

Woo hoo - cute hubby.

Sounds like you have had a pretty rough go of things for a while. BUT at least you know what the issues are and are working on them. Thyroid issues will slow down your weight loss so keep at it and try not to get to discouraged if the scale isn't playing nice.

Where you live sounds wonderful!! I have never been to that area - only northern europe. Mmmmm french food!

"We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world." -Buddha

Tiggy Jones Diary
tiggy_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:56 PM   #41
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Frenchie- hubba hubba hubby, you go girl!!!
WOW that town looks so quaint and romantic, what a life!!!

Here is a confession I was dating a Frenchman and he would blow me away with gifts and so on when he came into town at one of the Pharmaceutical Companies here he was a doctor from NYC with a dreamy French accent, turned out the bugger was married I was devasted!!! I had such big dreams of marrying this fabulous French doctor and visiting Paris!!!! One thing I never wanted to do is date a married man, so I had to end it immediately. And it wasn't pretty, LOL I still have some of the gifts he gave me, soaps and perfumes it was fun while it lasted but what a scumbag!!!!! LOL But that is when I feel in love with the accent thing, everything he said sounded so good, LOL
Old 04-10-2011, 02:05 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Yes Angela, I need a good sweetener, that's for damn sure! This stevia stuff is ok for coffee but the aftertaste is kinda hard to deal with. I use PureVia but I dont think I can do it for the long haul. I cant get the Ideal here so I was thinking about ordering some erythritol and xylitol and maybe coming up with my own blend. Is that crazy to even try? Kinda frustrated in that department!

Janet~ I agree, this area is lovely and so quaint! I am kinda partial to the hubs too *wink wink*

Tiggy I could just HUG you, that is what I needed to know. Now I think I can handle those pesky labels. Here there is so much with NO label though. There are aisles with these gorgeous jars of lovely looking soups that look like some farmwife's canning shelf and lovely sausages from local places that you dont know what the ingredients are. Makes things a bit difficult

The health problems are a real trial to deal with at times. I had a pulminary embolism so I am on coumadin for the rest of my life, That makes everything else so tricky. Always monitoring the blood. Now the dead thyroid...UGH! I have to say though, the french medical system is outstanding. They do know how to take care of their people over here and I have had fantastic care the entire time I have been here. They even have docs that make house calls here, and it's a COMMON thing

Amber~ The french are notorious for that. I wonder sometimes if thats the whole reasoning behind the two hour lunch So many have a mistress they pop off to see at lunch time. I have never had to worry even once about that with my Frenchie though. He is so devoted to me and comes home for lunch most of the time. He doesn't even look at other women and once told me he didn't understand men who were always ogling other women and talking about how they wished they could 'do her' He said why don't they just appreciate what they have at home? If I want to look at a woman I would much rather look at the one I know is mine then someone else. That won about a million brownie points with me, and I think I fell in love with him all over again
Old 04-10-2011, 02:20 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

SO yesterday...well I was down .3 kilos which is...let me check....66 pounds so two thirds of a pound. I hope it stays down today!

Breakfast: RR roll with one square of Kiri cream cheese (.4 carbs) with stevia and cinnamon. Kiri seems fairly close to American cream cheese but maybe less carbs?

Lunch: Two hotdogs on two RR rolls ( I baked long skinny ones) with homemade LC ketchup

Snack: 2 cheese crackers 1 snickerdoodle

Dinner: Bacon wrapped Shrimp, parmesan garlic zuchinni, small salad of mache and greens with 1 cherry tomato

Snack: 3 cheese crackers

So, I remade the snicker doodle. It was driving me crazy to know if the recipe worked or not. I reduced the stevia down by half and it was MUCH better but not sweet enough I could still taste that stevia aftertaste too. I must get better sweetener!
I am looking at this british online store and trying to decide what to order. British Pounds are OUCH though. They convert to something like 1.66 dollars to one of their pounds. So their prices are pretty hefty. Compared to the shipping to get something from America though I guess it's better. I really wish I could find a french site, or even a german one. I searched atkins and glucides bas in google and they didnt even have results at ALL in google shopping for atkins. Most of the results for glucides bas (low carb) were in supplement stores. I think I will try to search for another day or so before I do give up and order from England. They are out of carbolose flour anyway and I wish they would get some in before I order anything.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:14 AM   #44

Man that sucks living in a foreign place that is not easy to purchase LC items, I guess here with the increase in obesity and diabetes they are making more low carb products, when I did LC in 2005 stuff was everywhere and then it all disappeared, thankfully some more companies are recognizing that you dont need all that sugar!

Yeah you were down!! I have yet to find a stevia I like, I am OK with Splenda and Xylitol is pretty good.

The one lady at the party yesterday is very obese and diabetic, the nutitrion counselor told her to eat 50 carbs per meal? That is over 150 carbs a day I thought that sounded extremely high, I know others on here eat way less than that to control their blood sugar. She is trying though and started going to the gym she is 55 and looks older than my Gram 2 knee replacements, I hope she will get on to it and lose.
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:35 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

The knee replacements are scary Amber. My sis is ten years older then me. She weighs close to 300 pounds and has degenerative disc disease with several lower vertabrea and a few up top all flat or close to flat. She has had to have one knee replacement and they want to do the second. I don't ever want to be in her situation! When I fell and hurt my hip I also landed on my knee and it gives me lots of problems. I am hoping this weight loss will help my whole body. My other two sisters never put on the weight as much and they dont have these problems. BTW~ My sis is also low-carbing it! I can't convince her to go all out like I am, she says she is too poor SHe did lose five pounds though!

I spent the last hour researching some german online shops and they are NOT where it is at. The one wanted almost TWICE as much for DaVinci Syrups. I just backed on out of there fast

The main things I think I will have to order is the different sweeteners and I would like to try the carbalose flour if they ever get it back in. Has anyone here used it and if so do you like it?
Old 04-10-2011, 03:47 AM   #46

The cabquick is OK,it does have a funny taste and it seems a little salty, I had some and its like a year old, and when I bake everything is flat I think it wears out, I like it better for biscuits than sweets, the garlic powder biscuits are my favorite sort of like Red Lobsters, I really dont use it for anything other than that, and like I said mine got old, so I think it lost its umph! LOL I am not a baker though, so never was good at figuring out stuff to use it for, I do use the old stuff for dredging like in egg then that then a pork rind/parm coating, like if tony catches trout today I will use it for that. Since you are a baker you will like it probably! I like coconut flour for baked goods and I hate coconut it is very dry so you need more moisture but if making a sweet dessert I think it adds more flavor cause its natural and not all chemically tasting like the carb quick? If that makes sense?
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:54 AM   #47
Blabbermouth!!!

Good Morning Diane or is it evening? I have this problem with Tigs time too.

I don't order much from these sites, to many recipes make the carb creep come visit so I have to eat very basic.

Sorry about all of your health problems, I can't imagine what you have to live through. All I have is HBP.

Enjoy your whatever, night? day?
Old 04-10-2011, 05:33 AM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Heya Laura, It is early afternoon now. I'm not interested in buying bars or baking mixes or anything like that. I wanted to try the flour for my own baking cookies, cakes, breads or such but am mostly interested in getting a decent tasting sweetener. Otherwise I will try to go the fresh is best route. I just love to bake. I like to cook quite a bit too. I am constantly trying new recipes and even made a tarte bordalou that my DH's best friend who is a chef gave me big praise for. I was a patting myself on the back for that one
When I do something I tend to have the habit of requiring all the 'stuff' to feel secure. I may not envision what I will need it for but I have to have it on hand in case I do. I am so silly like that but it makes me so happy when I want to try something and can say..Oh I need that weird ingredient? Check! Oh and another weird one? Hehe...got that one too!
Old 04-10-2011, 06:13 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

So I just went and did my daily weigh in and I am back up .4 kg. GRRR I just keep bouncing back and forth and not losing anything this week. I think I need to get serious. Cut out all the almond flour, cream cheese and nuts I have been slipping with and get back to serious induction. I have only lost 4 lbs in over two weeks, probably closer to 3 weeks of induction. Dh is leaving tomorrow for a four day trip. I will be home alone and hopefully able to stick to this diet a little easier. Feeling quite frustrated right now
Old 04-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #50
Blabbermouth!!!

Diane I have been battling with the same 3 lbs for a couple of months, it's just water weight, don't worry about it, it will be off tomorrow.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

I guess I just expected a bigger drop since this is induction. Everywhere I read people drop quite a bit at the beginning and then it slows down. I think I'm already at a crawl
Old 04-10-2011, 12:03 PM   #52
Blabbermouth!!!

Diane when I first started I ate only meat, eggs and cheese, basic induction. Too many treats or higher carb products will slow the weight loss way down, even veggies still do it to me. Start eating clean and by that do strict induction and see if that gets the scales moving again.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:14 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, I already decided thats what I must do. I dont think I did too bad, but even the little I tried must be stalling me out. I havent been strictly counting my carbs but fairly certain I never went over 20 but I have to be a realist here. I no longer have a functioning thyroid and I'm not really sure how effective thyroid hormone therapy is. It might be a lot tougher to lose weight this time around then it was before. So far today I did start out the morning with a RR with creamcheese, stevia and cinnamon and then two hot dogs with rr for lunch. Then I weighed Only thing I could stomach after that was a few slices of cheese and a slice of proscuitto. Tomorrow starts a new day...
Old 04-10-2011, 12:33 PM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Aw, my new friend! REEEEEELAAAAAAX! This is a journey of many ups and downs, elations and disappointments-- sometimes all in the same day. You've read my journal, you know I am stalled going on MONTHS and MONTHS now. It's not always about the pounds, you know. How are your inches? How is your mood? How is your sleeping? It's so easy to be discouraged and feel in the dumps-- boy, do I know how easy that is! You just have to keep after it, and never let it go! Always be low carb. If you slip a little higher on a tough day-- no matter--- just keep trying. You can't compare yourself to others, you just can't, it will make you insane. You are you, so unique, and your weight problem is unlike any other human on earth. No one in the world has your body and your problems. (Or your darling husband, but that's besides the point.) You can only look at you and try to find the magic combination that helps YOU get going and dropping the weight and getting to move again. It takes time to get it right. And when you do get it right, sometimes it doesn't seem like it's right but it is. It's exceptionally difficult, but you just have to keep going and keep trying. I'm miserable being the same weight for 6 months, but I never gave up. Because I never gave up, I'm now at the point that I feel I can do a little more to make some magic happen. It took a long time to get here, but here I am.

Also, you have so many special considerations-- thyroid peeps really shouldn't be less than 30 carbs, and should never ever eat soy and be careful with some raw veggies like raw cauliflower and broccoli. You have so many things that need addressing, and it all takes so much time and thought and effort-- and how can you squeeze that all in between taking care of your home and hubby and art? It's hard. Please be gentle and kind to yourself while you heal. You are not like some 22 year old chippie who is just a little chubby and loses 50 pounds in 2 days by eating bacon and walking across the room. We have it harder. How old are you? Are you around my age? It all factors in to make losing weight a total *****. I'm still trying to figure it out, and clearly i am n ot there yet-- sure, i eat low carb every day, but I haven't yet found the magic combination to make the drops come fast and furious, if they ever will at all? What's it gonna take? I dunno. Just have to keep trying.

Anyway, I just wanted to give you sympathetic hugs and unconditional support and internet love. You're a unique wonderful artistic beautiful woman-- time to reclaim the health that belongs to you, no matter how long it takes to get it right!

Old 04-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

And on the subject of sweeteners and low carb baking products-- I AM THE QUEEN OF ****ED UP LOW CARB BAKING. I have been expirimenting for years, and have tried just about everything, from the sublime to the ridiculous.

About sweeteners:

Stevia sucks. It's impossible to control and even one smidge too much ruins what you're making. Some people get use to it, some people like it-- I am not one of those people. I want no hint of anything in my sweet, only sweet. Stevia is in the Steviva sweetner I like, but the ratio is perfectly blended and you generally don't taste it unless you use too much.

I've found that Erythritol and Xylitol when blended are quite nice. A 50/50 ratio is good, but you must POWDER the concoction. These two do not "melt" well and can remain crunchy when left in crystaline form. They hold their sweet while baking, and the erythritol "cooling effect" is lessened dramatically when blended. It's a little complicated with all the extra steps you need to take to use them, but if this is what is available to you, this is what will work the best and be the closest to cane sugar sweet without aftertatses. This is what I used before I discovered Ideal and Steviva.

I've noticed that blending the Ideal and the Steviva works like a charm also. It's funny, but blending the different sweets together makes them better.

Truvia is very close to Steviva, but Steviva is superior in flavor and ingedient sourcing. If you can get Truvia, it's decent enough. PureVia I don't like and sits unused in the cupboard.

About fancy LC flours and such--

sheesh, I've tried everything and most of it is just expensive garbage that tastes bad. I have narrowed down what I use to just blanched almond flour, coconut flour and vital wheat gluten. That is all. I'm not even sure the Vital wheat gluten is necesary, it probably isn't but as the recipes I've come up with work so well I'm hesitant to omit it.

Granted, i am only making sweets with this stuff, I am not trying to make breads or anything-- I've moved past really wanting any kind of bread, and when I do I can have Julian... but I haven't had any in months and it's no big thing.

So, I know stuff online looks delicious and tempting, but rest assured, most of it is just garbage and will disappoint you. You can do A LOT with just almond flour and coconut flour-- and the remainder of the ingredients needed are just regular stuff-- butter, cream, eggs, salt, baking powder, etc.

Seriously, if your LC kitchen has coconut flour, almond flour, erythritol and xylitol, you're all set to make some nice pastry style treats.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:55 PM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tiggy_oz
Stats: 330/249/190 5'10"
WOE: LCHF + IF
Start Date: 1 Nov 2010 (+4 months off & 20lb regain)
Good morning lovely!

Don't fret the scale. With the thyroid and lack of ability to move and all this may be a long slow road, but you will get there. As long as you are enjoying your food and making some progres that is fantastic. There are some good thyroid experts around here so have a look around that health forum for some tips.

Yay for the label info. Must be tricky if they have no standard labels on stuff over there. Perhaps if something is really good, you can find out the phone number for a local place and ring them and find out what is in it? Stuff like sausages can really vary depending on the filler used (if any). The ones I can get locally have like 8 carbs per skinny sausage, but the ones I can get at the butcher in town have 0.5 each.

You have fantastic meat, cheese, produce there. I reckon you can make some amazing food!
tiggy_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:01 AM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Angela, you are such a dear! I was in such a tizzy yesterday and reading what you wrote really lifts me up. I so appreciate all your kind words and encouragement. It's so easy to forget that I'm not 22 anymore and everything is going to be a bit more difficult. I had no idea about the raw cauliflower,and broccoli or the 30 carbs. Why is that?
Your journal has truly been my inspiration, the fact that you have never given up and just continue to work on making a new and better you is the example that I needed. I AM very determined and will continue to do my best. I know having people like you around me will just make it easier. THank you!
I took your recommendations about sweeteners and a baking kitchen into consideration and made my order last night. $100 Ouch! It's an investment though is how I look at it. Vital wheat gluten, Erythritol, Xylitol, whey protein, a shake mix (cause I think that might work for me for breakfasts) and four different chocolates. Two are bits for baking in the future and two are bars with malitol for the occasional treat and to keep me regular I think after this shipment comes my kitchen will be fairly complete for experiments. I already have both kinds of flax, sesame seeds, xanthan gum, almond, hazelnut and coconut flour and a few non sugar extracts. I know it's silly since I relly can't bake much yet but I feel so much better having it on hand for when I need it. Now I just need to settle into a groove and find recipes I can use now. Thank you again for all your advices. I really appreciate it!
Old 04-11-2011, 02:07 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Tiggy~ You are so right about the food here. I have a wealth of cheese and wonderful meats to choose from and all these wonderful fresh veggies. I really can't complain. I have been worried about the sausages and such as they do have such a large variety here with no way of knowing what they use as fillers. I just bought some regular ground sausage for now and will stick to that unless I find one with a label. Problem with calling is my french is abysmal, I can speak it but have a difficult time understanding and on the phone it is much worse.
I will definitely look on the health boards about the thyroid issue. Frankly I hadsn't even considered that I would have to approach this differently because of it. I just thoughtit might slow me down a bit and that's it.
Thanks so much for the advices it is all helping so much!
Old 04-11-2011, 02:12 AM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

SO yesterday I was back up .4kg That knocked the wind out of my sail but it also helped me get back on track. I have been having a few too many forays into enemy territory. I have to get back to the induction phase where I belong. I was so bummed last night all I had was a bit of meat and cheese

Breakfast: 2 RR with cream cheese, stevia and cinnamon
Lunch: Two hotdogs with two RR rolls
Dinner: 3 slices of gouda with two slices of proscuitto

I will be spending part of my day today trying to find info on my thyroid in correlation with this diet and also building a meal plan of induction food with what I have in the freezer. I can do this and all of your encouragement is helping me along the way. Thank you so much!
Old 04-11-2011, 02:28 AM   #60
Blabbermouth!!!

Diane I hope you have a lovely day, but heck you live in France so I imagine you will.