Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2011, 05:08 AM   #271
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: piratewoman
Stats: 239.8/157.2/? 5'6 age:56 20W then-6 misses now
WOE: Atkins- very low carb
Start Date: August 2010
Diane sorry you're haveing such a bad time of it. Rest and try and have a good day.
piratewoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2011, 08:26 AM   #272
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Frenchie'sGirl
Stats: 126.8kg/88.5kg/80kg 279/194.7/180
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2011
Thank you Laura, I am resting and trying to have a good day.It's very quiet around here today.
Frenchie'sGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:32 AM   #273
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: glamazon
Stats: 290/279/195 ** 6'2
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 5/25/2014
I'm sorry you're feeling so awful, Diane! Relax today and feel better soon!

I would chuck the chemical shakes and just make your own. Cheaper, more healthy and hella more delicious!! You just need berries, yogurt, sweetener, eggs-- all things you can get (or already have) more easily. You can even buy a plain protein powder (whey or egg-- NEVER SOY! AVOID SOY AT ALL COSTS!) The egg is a perfect protein, though--far superior to any manmade processed stuff-- you can dump it in raw or scramble it first, chill it, then dump it in. Sounds weird, but blends in invisibly either way. I would look around for smoothy recipes anywhere on the net or "egg cream" recipes here on LCF. Homemade shakes are so much better than anything in a can. You can even make chocolate ones. Other ingredients can be heavy cream, coconut milk, avocado, espresso, sheesh, so many combos! The basic one I make my kid is frozen strawberries, full fat plain yogurt, steviva, one egg, heavy cream, a few ice cubes. Tada! He thinks it's a strawberry milkshake.

Do-Over Divas
Photos of My Low Carb Meals
glamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:42 AM   #274
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Feel better soon Diane! I'm hoping it's just a little bug you've picked up and not related to LC.

I'm thinking maybe if you up your carbs a bit to around the 30-40net carb mark and maybe lower your fats just a smidge (since you are around my age I'm thinking)...sometimes we have to watch fats a little more, that would shake things up? Also maybe watching the amount of cheese?

Have a lovely day if you can!

Happy Easter!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:50 AM   #275
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Pooti, I don't understand your "Lower the fats" advice. I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just curious about it, as all my reading points to our bodies needing ample quality fat to thrive, no matter our age. (Weston Price, Mary Enig, Gary Taubes, Dr. Atkins, etc.) Could you point me to where I can understand your advice better? Why do older people need less fat?

Not being a pill, I just really am interested.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:56 AM   #276
the condiment queen

Angela.

Not everyone can lose weight on standard Atkins numbers: 25-30Protein, 70-75%Fat, Carbs. I can't.

But that DOES NOT mean I am talking about 30%Fat either. What I found for me, being post meno with adrenal issues and T2, not on HRT and with suspicious thyroid is that I MUST drop the fat a little to lose. So if I do fats of a range somewhere between 40-60% on average and let them fluctuate naturally, I start losing again.

I think there are many people here in the same boat. Google ASP.

And 40-60% fat is AMPLE fat.

Older women and men who have metabolic issues and who are obese or fat (not saying you are either of those Diane, but I am morbidly obese)...sometimes benefit from tweaking their fat a bit. AGAIN IT'S NOT LOW FAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
Old 04-24-2011, 09:42 AM   #277
the condiment queen

Don't mean to rant. But I feel as strongly about people who assume when I recommend lowering the fat just a tiny bit, that I'm suddenly in the "low fat" camp. And that couldn't be further from the truth. Just like you feel so strongly about people who criticize Julian bread.

But the facts are, especially if you have fatty liver disease as I do, that sometimes people do have to tweak the fat down a bit (and often times that 10% difference is about a tablespoon of fat!

And who are the people who believe that going too low carb can cause a disruption of thyroid. Dr. A knew about this as do the Drs. Eades. You can read about it from the endocrinologist Dr. Schwartbein for more information about that. And Dr. A said that as much as you elevate your carbs, you must lower your fat accordingly. Cuz the kiss of death is eating both high carbs and high fat. Hence my recommendations that if you're gonna raise your carbs, you should lower fat a little bit. Dr. A also talked about that when doing the OWL ladder...

Last edited by pooticus; 04-24-2011 at 09:45 AM..
Old 04-24-2011, 10:02 AM   #278
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Pooti!
Old 04-24-2011, 11:06 AM   #279
Major LCF Poster!

Here I have been avoiding yogurt because I thought it was a nono. I LOVE making smoothies with yogurt and I have the plain whey powder. I dont know if this is a diet thing or if I do have a bug but whatever it is it just isn't right. I havent kept track of what my fats, carbs are anything is so I dont really know where I am at. I guess I have to bite the bullet and try this hated ****** or wtv its called. All I know is this has to stop. I'm going to take it easy a few more days and see if it disappates, if not, I have to radically rethink this diet.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:49 PM   #280
the condiment queen

Feel better soon.

Do you notice your clothes fitting differently or do your feel less puffy for lack of a better word?

I can tell for me, that I'm losing my bloat slowly but surely...you know?
Old 04-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #281
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Majella
Stats: 191/183/132
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2013
Hi Diane sorry things are not going well for you at the moment. I have an app on my phone I put my food into and it gives me the breakdown. Some ppl find sugar alcohol's slow or stop weightloss but I don't know if this applies to you or not. I don't have a problem with fat in fact I find the days I dont eat enough fat I feel hungry and I won't lose weight. Do you have the Atkins books? I think if you followed induction there it would kickstart things?

Anyway hope you feel better soon though

Majella
Majella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #282
Major LCF Poster!

The first two weeks I lost an inch in my waist and my hips and dropped around 5 pounds. since then I have not lost any inches. My clothes still fit the same. I felt good the first two weeks, after that I started feeling fatigue. Now I feel like a slug. I have no energy, severe headaches, Frenchie said I was feverish last night so I assumed that I am sick. I was sticking to under 20 carbs with no change. the last several days I have eased up and allowed myself a small amount of fruit, the sweet potatoes. Nothing drastic but upped the carbs a bit. I have not had a huge amount of cheese but I have had cheese (today none) this week I have held steady at the same weight. I dont know which way to go now. drop back down to 20 carbs or stick with 30. Reduce the fat or up it. It's all very confusing for me. I just want to feel better, that's the whole point you know?

I must stress that I have rarely felt hungry on this diet. I have had my cravings fro sweets...which is a life long thing. even when I have 'binged' I felt I kept it under control.

I guess I need to at least start tracking my food so I have a firm idea of what I am eating, I think I will go with the 30 carb and see what happens for a week. Then I will reassess.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:27 AM   #283
Major LCF Poster!

Today my weightis up by a kilo. I am at the same weight as I started here on this board.
yesterday:
B: breakfast shake
L: Bacon, lettuce, tomato sandwich with RR foccacia, 4 slices of bacon two slices heirloom tomato, greens
S: 1 sq of choc
D: lemon chicken breast, 2 slices fried tomato with dab of cream cheese, shrimp salad with cabbage, celery, low carb dressing
S: Almond shake
3 cups coffe, 2 w almond milk, 1 w 2 teaspoons cream ( I prefer the cream I decided)

I was feeling pretty sorry for myself yesterday, thus the almond shake after supper. I wasnt hungry. I really felt like I had went through a lot of work this last month and rarely went off diet, when I did it was still with low carb and I am still stuck. Waking up this mornign to see 111k staring me in the face just cemented that feeling.
I'm finding myself reluctant to come on here and talk. I feel like Debbie Downer. I don't mean to complain all the time but I am so frustrated I could scream. I feel like I am going to be a fat invalid the rest of my life and it's really dragging me down.I look at my husband and think, why should he be stuck with this mess? Blah!
Old 04-25-2011, 06:43 AM   #284
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
Start Date: January 19, 2011
Diane, please don't feel you can't come here and talk! Thats what we are here for
I vent and whine all the time - not that you are doing either of those, but you undertsand my meaning.

Feeling crappy is not good. Perhaps you are just now hitting "induction flu", and that's why you feel like crap?
And don't forget that your hubby love you - the "you" that you are right now!
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:36 AM   #285
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Diane:
Had to catch up, OK I want a hunky young European guy, I still have 6 months, LOL Nah I guess I will settle for Tony and live vicariously through you guys, LOL What great stories though, Diane is my idol!!! So how was Easter in France?
Did you do something special?
Sounds like lots of experiments, I am ready for back to routine, it is hard having company.

OK, I am sure we will be chatting today!!!!

Amber
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:52 AM   #286
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you Janet for the reassuring words. I just get to the point where I can't stand my own whining...and YES, it is whining I don't know what this induction flu is but am curious...sounds like a good possibility.
Hope things are settling back to peaceful normality for you!

Amber hon, I have missed you! Sounds like you had a great Easter though. We did nothing at all except hubby is watching playoffs. He is enjoying a nice long well deserved vacation. I....I am sitting on my butt
Old 04-25-2011, 07:57 AM   #287
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You are not going to be a fat invalid the rest of your life. Calm down and let's examine this:

Your food looks good, it's all low carb, and seems very healthy--

I don't know what's in the shakes-- soy? MSG? Aspartame? there are a lot of triggers that can be in a commercial shake mix. I would examine the ingredient list and see what's going on in there, maybe you are sensitive so something there. (FYI, aspartame makes many people completely ill-- my husband one of them.)

You are not feeling good--

*Perhaps you have an outside bug, like a flu or a cold or something.
*Perhaps you have a form of induction flu, which is (from what I understand) low electrolytes.
*Perhaps your thyroid is seriously bogging you down. Is your medication dosage correct? Is it the right medication? Are you remembering to take your med without fail?
*Perhaps your brain chemistry is off and making you feel like a slug. Depression, cloudy moods, mood swings, etc.

You are not losing weight--

*examine your thyroid meds and other meds-- birth control? Blood pressure/water pills?
*did you measure? Are you losing inches anywhere?
*It's normal to stall out at the three week mark-- look around, you're not alone. My first time around I lost 6ish pounds on induction, and at the three week mark I was up 4 pounds and stayed there for a few weeks before it started dropping again. Even if you do everything right, sometimes the scale doesn't tell you anything useful, and can in fact ruin your day.

For your consideration:

Put the scale away. Not forever, just for now.

Ditch the chemical shakes. Not forever, just for now.

Raise your carb level to 50. That is still low carb. This will free you a little mentally, and give you a lot of wiggle room for lc fruits and veggies. Your thyroid meds will probably like this as well. You have to eat SOMETHING, right? Don't undo all the good work you've done this past month-- just because the scale says you didn't lose anything, it doesn't mean your body isn't "gaining" other things, like cellular repair and other healthy stuff inside that you can't see.

You aren't feeling good, so take it easy on yourself, nourish yourself and rest. Feeling sorry for yourself is completely natural and totally okay-- done it myself many times-- I hope it spurs you into being proactive and keep at it.

Last edited by glamazon; 04-25-2011 at 08:01 AM..
Old 04-25-2011, 08:27 AM   #288
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Angela for setting it all out in an organized manner. Sometimes I can't think straight these days.

I am going for a blood test tomorrow and then two days later I will go to doc, I am going to request a test on my thyroid levels to see if my meds are working properly. I have done stellar with my meds and not missed a single morning for over two weeks. I have taken them first thing without food and waited for half hour before i ate. Only meds I take are coumadin and pain pills(at night) and thyroid hormone (lyvothyrox) also a multi vitamin by Nature's Plus and I restarted the aminos yesterday.

The shake mix is gone and I will be trying to make a new shake with my whey powder. Going to look at recipes today to try and find a good one. I really do like the shakes and they satisfy me. (Hubby abhored the shake mix anyway. He thinks anything like that should be banned from the world)

As to inches, I am not losing. I am considering at least a hike to 30 carbs I havent made a final decision yet. SO far today I had my last breakfast shake and then for lunch I had a wonderful cauliflower hash( like yours sorta) and a few slices of a summer type sausage. So my carb intake today is still very low.

I am not going to give up yet. I agree I have worked to hard to just throw in the towel. I need to check these hormone levels, I need to get feeling better.

One thing that I was assured wouldnt have an affect on my body but I am wondering is my IUD. I just had it inserted on April 6th and it is a progesterone IUD. SHe said it would not go past the area of my uterus and would even take a good 6 weeks to completely permeate it so who knows
Old 04-25-2011, 08:35 AM   #289

Diane- I have that IUD, it didnt make me gain, but you never know, it is hormonal, something could be doing that, watch yogurt, commercial yogurt has a lot of sugar, get the Greek style if you can with lower carbs. I know it is hard, but try a week of good clean, meats and eggs and veggies like really strict and see if it moves, sometimes even too many low carb items can stall you. It takes time and remember I said do it for health reasons, above and beyond the number on the scale!!! You can do this, and you can whine, we all whine, LOL
Old 04-25-2011, 08:40 AM   #290
Major LCF Poster!

went and got my shake container.
These are the ingredients: Whey Protein Isolate, Fructoligosaccharides, sunflower and/or safflower oil, Canola Oil, Maltodextrin, Natural and artificial Flavors, Salt, Mono & Diglycerides, Lecithin, cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Carageenan, Sucralose.
Vitamins and Minerals: Asorbic Acid, Ferric Orthophosphate, Vitamin E Acetate, Niacinamide, Zinc Oxide, D-calcium Pantothenate, Copper Gluconate, Pyridoxine Hcl, Riboflavin, ThiaminMononitrate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Folic Acid, D-biotin, Potassium Iodite, Vitamin D3, Vitamin B12
Old 04-25-2011, 08:45 AM   #291
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Amber, I have yet to eat any yogurt but I did see some greek yogurt at the store so maybe I will pick that up for smoothies.

I do want to try to stick mainly to meat, seafood and veggies with a small amount of fruit added.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #292
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sounds like a good plan, Diane. Thinking more about it, and now knowing you have the IUD thing going on, I would definitly examine those two things as your culprit, the Thyroid and the IUD. I don't know much about IUDs, but I do know they monkey with your hormones, and weightloss is all about the hormones. Also, if your thyroid isn't just right, you are hosed a thousand different ways. My mom was a mess on any kind of synthetic thyroid med-- she felt horrible for years before we figured it out, despite doctors saying "gosh, this should work!"-- she was switched to natural Armour Thyroid at our insistance and felt SO SO SO much better, it was like she was a normal person again. Her story is not unique. I would absolutely research those two things and see if all is well. I really don't think the food is your problem, you are eating so well! Even that shake didn't look all that bad, considering what's available out there. Also remember that thyroid meds are compromised with super low carbs, I make sure my mom is more than 30 at all times. Glad you have a doctor appointment to help you sort it all out.

Have a wonderful day!
Old 04-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #293
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Majella
Stats: 191/183/132
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2013
Hi Diane, I think Angela said it best it could be a combnation of things. I have an IUD as well and it doesnt slow me down but I remember meeting a woman who also had a dead thyroid and she said it took her a good 2 months to get her body adjusted to her diet and to concinestly lose weight each week.

Good luck at the doc and I'll check back in with ya in a few days and take care of yourself

Majella
Majella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:51 AM   #294
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Majella!
Old 04-26-2011, 07:51 AM   #295
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
Start Date: January 19, 2011
Diane how are you feeling today?
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:00 PM   #296
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning, Diane! How did you fare yesterday? What did the doc say? Anything useful that might help you feel like you again?

Hope you're feeling better and having a more positive outlook today.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:25 AM   #297

Diane:
Sorry internet was working last night, we always have problems with it! Grrr

How was the doc?
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:32 AM   #298
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Check in, Diane! It's not like you to not be here chatting away with us! Even if you ate a whole bakery yesterday, just come on back and tell us all about it. It's important to stay connected to us-- when someone just disappears off their usual posting routine it usually means they are having trouble and embarassed to come in, or they are too depressed to do anything. Hopefully this is not the case at all. Hope you are feeling better!
Old 04-27-2011, 08:24 AM   #299
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Girls, sorry I havent been in. You are right Angela...depressed is the word/ I seriously can't hardly get up the energy to even bother coming on here. I havent been to any of my sites I regularly post on, and could care less if I go. I feel like a SLUG. Yesterday Frenchie asked me if I wanted to go with him to his dr appt and we would go out to eat afterwards. I did even though I didnt feel like it. It was so hard to even drag myself out of bed and get ready. I am glad I went and we had a lot of fun. I always enjoy my time with him. We went to a sushi restaurant and I had the broth soup, sashumi, bruchettes and a coke zero. I know the bruchettes had a sweet sauce but I didn't care. It might have been a few carbs but I thought I did pretty good considering I ignored my beloved maki. Last night I made a batch of ginger lemon cookies which were very good, like little whoppie pies and I made a fantastic pork roast that I smothered with morel sauce. Very yummi dinner. SO the diet is still fine. I know I overate yesterday. NO doubt about that but I still doubt I went too high in the carbs.
I think coming to the realization that this condition is seriously going to hamper my life. Reading of others difficulties and thinking of my docs appointment is what's really getting to me. I like my doc a lot. I am sure she will do what she can to help me, within her own beliefs. Getting her to switch me to a natural hormone is very iffy if even possible with the insurance system here. getting her to test me for my T4s, TSH and my T3s is possible.( I nknow she will do the T4 and TSH but not so sure about the T3) I hope she will at least do that. I dont know if she will agree to up my hormone even but I will try. French doctors are not used to their patients questioning their treatments, or even having them suggest possibilites for their conditions. When I told my doctor in Bordeaux that I had an iron deficiency and I knew I did because I was chewing ice and had leg cramps he thought I was crazy. He did the test though and found me severly deficient. I think she is more likely to listen to me but then after that...
there is so much mixed info about how to treat the thyroid condition in regards to low carbing OR any diet for that matter. I have read many accounts of women saying they had to cut their carbs out almost completely and slowly add them till they found the number where they quit losing. This number often being in the low teens. I have read several other places where people say you cant go below 50 carbs without compromising your thyroid. (but if this is true then why did the other women lose at the restricted uber low carb count?) I have read people saying they dont see how you can possibly lose weight on atkins with a thyroid condition. It is all TOO MUCH! Losing weight and feeling better shouldnt be so hard. I dont know which way to turn. Half of me wants to cut the carbs all the way down like those women do and see if thats what works. The other half wants to do the 50 carb a day thing and see what happens there but cant face losing only a pound a month. If it goes that slow I know I wont be able to stick to it. All of me wants to crawl in a hole and pull it in after me.
SO you can see, I really am not in a good place right now and probably not very good company.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:44 AM   #300
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Diane, this is no longer about food. YOUR THYROID MEDS ARE NOT DOING THEIR JOB. (At least this is what is sure seems like.) What you are describing is exactly my mother before we got her meds to the correct one and the correct levels. How you are feeling is not about food or willpower at all-- this is a thyroid issue and you will feel like crap-- depressed and not wanting to go anywhere, do anything, even get out of bed-- until you fix it... no matter what you eat.

I would concentrate entirely on getting the thyroid meds sorted out. Eat good healthy foods, still stay low carb, but relax about it so you can concentrate on making sure your thyroid meds are doing what they should. Maybe you just aren't taking enough? Forget the counting carbs things right now-- if it's low carb, eat it, be satisfied. Put the concentrated dieting on the back burner, it will be okay. The thyroid thing is taking precedence. Until you feel good, everything is going to depress you.

I'm glad you came in, I know that must have been hard. Keep posting, keep talking, I really care about you! Everything will be okay, eventually.

Love Angela