Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rayne_W
Stats: 255/229.4/140 5'6" (12.5" lost)
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10-2-12 (LC) 11-18-12 (JUDDD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyric's Mom View Post
You're doing great!
Ty! I just read your post in the Tater thread...how cool that you dropped even with the cookie?

Quote:
I wish I liked tea to help with the DD's. I LOVE the aroma of tea, I find it intoxicating actually. But then the taste never seems to match the intensity of the smell. I try every few months though hoping I'll acquire a taste for it because there's so many health benefits. You always make it sound so good too!
Ah, tea. I grew up drinking Red Rose tea with my grandmother, didn't think much of it...discovered Earl Grey in my teens...and then, sometime in my 30s, it happened.

(click to enlarge):

I started branching out and discovering new blends (black tea is my favorite), white tea, green tea (my least favorite), and even some herbal teas I could stomach (especially peppermint). I learned more about how to make it properly, different steeping times, different water temperatures, how certain teas take to milk, the joy of loose tea over bagged, and even some that can be (and should be) resteeped several times.

My favorite, which I'm drinking now, is a dark breakfast-type tea that brews almost as dark as a cup of coffee -- and is great with milk or half-n-half. It's no longer offered in the US, so I have to order directly from the UK (which takes 3 whole months to deliver!). I'm no fan of the tannic/bitter aspect of tea, which I think is a turn-off to many people who don't care for tea. The addition of a little dairy goes a long way in cutting the tannins in black tea...but not all black teas take to milk due to differences in strength. Anyway, this stuff packs a wallop as strong as coffee and is easier on my stomach.

Who knows, I may talk about different teas from time to time...and (if any tea lovers actually read this thing!) maybe others can chime in, too.

I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific.
--Lily Tomlin

The Quest: Toward Spark-Free Thighs!!

The Blog

Last edited by Rayne_W; 11-30-2012 at 12:19 PM..
Rayne_W is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2012, 12:54 PM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lyric's Mom
Stats: 130/110 5'2" 41 y/o
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: August 2012
Omg--your tea collection is amazing! As is your knowledge of said teas! Like a connoisseur of wine and coffee...you are the ultimate in tea!
And yah, crazy that I lost after my cookie/potato/jerky fest. Really funny thing is I just lost another half pound! And sorry if its TMI, but since yesterday I have had to go to the bathroom several times--I swear it's all potato poop! Eww, I know. But I never eat boiled potatoes so its the only thing different I've done. It seemed to clean house!
Lyric's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Omg--your tea collection is amazing! As is your knowledge of said teas! Like a connoisseur of wine and coffee...you are the ultimate in tea!
It's hard to see, but there are almost 60 different teas in that small cubby. Three different Earl Greys, two Irish breakfasts, some from France, many from England, and one from Japan. There are some websites devoted to tea lovers (one rhymes with 'jeepsters'), and they make me look like a rube. I'm really only beginning to learn about tea!

Quote:
And yah, crazy that I lost after my cookie/potato/jerky fest. Really funny thing is I just lost another half pound! And sorry if its TMI, but since yesterday I have had to go to the bathroom several times--I swear it's all potato poop! Eww, I know. But I never eat boiled potatoes so its the only thing different I've done. It seemed to clean house!
LMAO! Oh, spinach does the ol' RotoRooter on me...I can relate. Yowza!
Old 11-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #94
Senior LCF Member

November Stats:

11/1: 239.8 (LC/Atkins)
11/18: 240.8 (the day I started JUDDD)
11/30: 237.4

Whopping 2.4 lbs. ::sigh:: Not the most impressive month, but at least the scale is beginning to move in the right direction after stalling so long (AND Thanksgiving!). Hate to think where I'd be if I hadn't switched my WOE. Yikes.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #95
Senior LCF Member

I'm sure you were hoping for more but like you said, it is going down! And it will continue in greater amounts, I have no doubt. Just curious, are you being sure to eat all your allotted calories on your up days?
Old 12-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #96
Senior LCF Member

I'm pretty sure it would have been more if I'd begun JUDDD sooner!

Yes, I've been better at getting to my UD allotment, if not slightly over. Doing better, I hope, at not going over.

The Bad: Yesterday's UD dinner did not sit well last night. Between GI hell and new onset of sore throat and major fatigue, I believe I've caught something.

The Good: I hung on to my weight from yesterday. Still 237.4.

Today's Saturday-Plague Plan: rice cakes to nibble on, SF jello, maybe broth, weak/light tea (currently an orange blossom white tea)

Last edited by Rayne_W; 12-01-2012 at 10:53 AM..
Old 12-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #97
Senior LCF Member

Aww, sorry things didn't agree with you...hope you start feeling much better soon!
Old 12-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Another poster said the following:
"Loving my holiday-flavored teas, those are helping me big time! And I add protein powder to them, and some additional spices, faux eggnog!"
Just curious if that's something you would consider trying or do you think that would totally corrupt the tea experience? For your standards anyway..
Old 12-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Aww, sorry things didn't agree with you...hope you start feeling much better soon!
Thank you

Quote:
Another poster said the following:
"Loving my holiday-flavored teas, those are helping me big time! And I add protein powder to them, and some additional spices, faux eggnog!"
Just curious if that's something you would consider trying or do you think that would totally corrupt the tea experience? For your standards anyway..
Wow, I've never heard of mixing protein powder in tea before! I have some unflavored powder...DaVinci eggnog syrup...loads of spices...when I'm on the mend I may just have to give this a try. ETA: I recently bought some holiday tea but have yet to try it. Smells heavenly -- lots of orange peel, cloves, even juniper berries. I may take a stab at it tomorrow without the add-ins, then attempt a protein powder experiment on it.

I've heard of people adding alcohol to tea, but I've never been that daring LOL. And, many people use tea in cooking (like getting a smoked flavor out of chicken by marinating in lapsang souchong (a smoked tea), or even using dry tea in things like Earl Grey biscuits/cookies).

Ty for the suggestion, now I'm off to hunt for more tea recipes!

Last edited by Rayne_W; 12-01-2012 at 01:20 PM..
Old 12-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Cool--it would be interesting to try to say the least. I bet there are tons of uses/recipes for tea beyond the traditional cup yah? You just reminded me of another thing I like about teas...the names! The names and/or flavors used to describe teas always sounds SOOO good! The spices, flowers, and fruits used always sound so deelish! So I love the smell, love the names, now if I can only get to love the taste, that would be awesome! lol
I usually would just add Splenda to tea & never cared for it. I've only tried Green, Earl Grey, and some berry flavors (that smelled heavenly). On occasion I force down Sleepy time tea when I cant sleep--it really relaxes me & I fall fast asleep! Anyways, do you have a recommendation for a tea I could try & ideas on how to prepare it? I'm not opposed to creams or milk or anything. Oh and it would have to be a tea I could find at a local store. Thanks!
Old 12-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #101
Senior LCF Member

I am one who can't choke down Sleepytime/chamomile on its own. It has to be blended (fairly heavily) with something else, like peppermint or lemongrass. And sweetened!

I've been introducing my DD to tea over the last decade or so...some of the ones she likes are Constant Comment (a black tea with orange peel and spices, probably cinnamon and clove), black currant breeze (another black tea, smells and tastes wonderful), and Travelers Chai (black tea base, extremely spicy, but I'm unsure if it's readily available in bags -- and come to think of it, it may not be available at every store). If you google the names, the different brands will/should show up.

For black tea, make sure to bring the water to a full boil. No microwaving tea in a cup of water! Add the bag to a cup, pour the water over, and set a timer for 3 min to start (would probably never go over 3 min 30 sec due to bitterness, but depending on the tea, 4-5 min may be the 'right' steep time...one has to experiment a little). Remove the bag but do not squeeze it out -- I used to do this until someone told me it makes the tea more bitter. And never leave the tea bag in the cup after it has steeped its allotted time -- the leaves 'stew' and it makes for a pretty unhappy cuppa.

Add sweetener until the bitterness is faint (or even more), then add a splash or two of milk (best imo) or half-n-half. As for chai, I often brew fairly dark (4-5 min) so I can add a larger proportion of milk to it. And wow -- the amount of ginger and black pepper in it will clear the foggiest brain, guaranteed. I have to brew it fairly weak for DD as she's pretty sensitive to spiciness.

Starting out with flavored teas is how I began. It took me some time to appreciate unflavored teas, and even now there are many I just don't care for (keemun on its own, oolong, some darjeeling blends).

Let me know if you try any and how you like them.

ETA: As far as sweeteners go, for some reason I only like splenda in my coffee...and truvia in my tea. For whatever reason, if I switch them I don't care for the combinations. Maybe has something to do with acidity level? YMMV.

Last edited by Rayne_W; 12-01-2012 at 02:59 PM..
Old 12-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Thanx for the suggestions! I'm going to try to get to the store tomorrow so I'll pick up some black tea. The specific instructions help too so I don't mess it up! I only tried Truvia once and I thought it was so gross I spit it out & threw it away--I think I used too much tho and didn't give it a real chance. When I head to Trader Joes later this week I'll get some. I also never tried milk in mine but I'm totally game for it. Thanks again and I'll keep you posted.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #103
Senior LCF Member

You're welcome! I was the same way with stevia...omg, awful stuff. I was really wary after that to even try truvia, but I was pleasantly surprised. I use 1/2 to almost a full rounded demitasse spoon for tea, up to 1.5 if it's a truly bitter tea (like 1706 or Irish breakfast). It's the only spoon I use for truvia...one of these days I'll actually figure out how much it equals to in teaspoons. Pretty sure my pre-LC days of using real sugar in my tea contributed mightily to my weight gain.

Editing to add --

Today's Damage:

B/L: 3 rice cakes (105), tea (5)
D: coconut curry chicken soup w/shiitake mushrooms (320)
S: SF jello (20), SF pudding (60)

Cals: 510

Last edited by Rayne_W; 12-01-2012 at 06:54 PM..
Old 12-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Drive-By Weigh-In

12/1: 237.4 DD
12/2: 237.0 UD I'll take it!
Old 12-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #105
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Truvia is so incredibly sweet if its not used very sparingly. It's my favorite as opposed to Splenda and stevia. It has less of that after taste thing..I'm going to try the baking blend one day if I can ever find it as it's usually always sold out.

Hhhmmmmm, maybe I could try some tea with milk and sweetener.. I've only ever tried to choke it down plain as that is the only way DH drinks his (he loves tea) and he insists that's how *I'm* supposed to drink it
DesertGurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #106
Senior LCF Member

I agree, it tastes so much less...fake. (still don't understand why I prefer splenda in coffee, but then again I have an odd palate)

What kinds/flavors of tea do you have on hand?

I admit that I'm probably doing it wrong: a) sweetening my tea at all, b) adding milk to the 'wrong' tea (eg, Earl Grey), and c) usually preferring the cheap stuff.

Tea. It's personal.

PS - Ignore the hubby

Last edited by Rayne_W; 12-02-2012 at 09:43 AM..
Old 12-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #107
Senior LCF Member

No idea why I would assume I was completely better today. Ate a late brunch (Greek skillet from the local diner -- hashbrowns, gyro meat, feta, over-easy eggs, tzatziki sauce)...and promptly lost it.

DH is still going to do an UD today...looks like mine is a MD. It may not be protocol, but I'm definitely joining DH on his DD tomorrow.

Last edited by Rayne_W; 12-02-2012 at 12:46 PM..
Old 12-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Sorry you're still feeling sick. Making tomorrow a DD so you can eat light is probably a good idea. Some hot chicken or vegetable broth might help with the tummy(?). I was to pick up some black tea today. I wasn't able to get Truvia yet but I will try it with milk & Splenda later tonight. Will let you know how it goes!
Old 12-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Dang it! Forgot to report that my bf brought all the bags in from the car EXCEPT the one that has my tea in it! (Grrr). He works graveyard so won't be home till 7 in the morning. Oh well...I'll have it with my breakfast then. lol
Old 12-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #110
Senior LCF Member

Rayne, let me know how your tea experiment went!

Today's plan (for now): Sip tea. Veg on couch. Watch movies. Probably LOTR in preparation for The Hobbit.

12/3: 238.4 DD (I was able to consume a fair quantity of crackers yesterday)

Last edited by Rayne_W; 12-03-2012 at 10:08 AM..
Old 12-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #111
Senior LCF Member

12/3: 238.4 DD
12/4: 238.4 UD Nowhere near enough fluids yesterday

Feeling better, thank heavens. DH has today off...he went to the grocery store to replenish the cucumbers and dill that had gone bad; unfortunately, he also slipped back into an old pattern and brought home two boxes of Krispy Kremes.

Are you kidding me?? This is tempting an addict in the worst possible way.

Without thinking (because I've never consciously thought while inhaling donuts), I scarfed 2 mini-crullers before I realized what I was doing. Thanks, hon, I just wasted 560 of my UD calories on junk that won't make me full. Ugh.

Plan for today is to make tzatziki sauce, quick-pickle some red onions, and have falafel wraps for dinner tonight.

And -- stay the heck away from bloody donuts!!!

Today's tea: Earl Grey, prepared 'wrong' with FF half-n-half. Yum.

Last edited by Rayne_W; 12-04-2012 at 09:47 AM..
Old 12-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Hi ya! Was off the radar yesterday--Had a major relapse in the anxiety department and had to take care of my health. I'm doing better but not 100%. I did try the black tea though with tea, Splenda & milk. It wasn't half bad! I do like it better with milk and I think I'll get some half & half to try too. Especially now, my tummy is all twisted from the stress so I think the tea is good to have right now. Oh and shame on hubby! KK donuts...YUM!!
Old 12-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #113
Senior LCF Member

Oh no! (((((((((Rayne))))))))) I hear you on the stress/anxiety...December is an annual exercise in white-knuckling and insomnia for me (family issues back home, mostly). I hope things go better for you.

I'm glad the tea experiment went better for you! What kind of tea did you wind up trying?

And yes, my DH is as much of a binger/snacker/emotional eater as I am, which sort of makes it dangerous to even share a house with him lol.

::contemplating::

I guess I better come right out and say it: ::deep breath:: my 25-yr-old son, brother, and mother, all still living in the PNW (and with whom I've broken all contact), are drug addicts. I'm just now realizing that I'm really no different.

My drug of choice just happens to be food.

Same story with DH.

So, it's time to swallow my pride and live the same schpiel I've uttered to my family members: make the choice, today, not to use. [or in my case, not to abuse]

I'm sitting here ticked off and pretty freaked out quite honestly that my spouse has brought into our home one of my ultimate weaknesses. It took me a few days to reconcile my abusive relationship with macadamia nuts...donuts are, and always have been, a HUGE trigger. I'm just so mad at him.

Last edited by Rayne_W; 12-04-2012 at 10:23 AM..
Old 12-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #114
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Aw well what the heck was DH thinkin?! I love donuts... and am extremely thankful that the KK is too far away to make it worth the drive for me.. there's a DD but meh..I don't like 'em

I can certainly relate in alot of ways with the food coming into the house.... it is one of the biggest issues between dh and myself. I think one of the reasons I like JUDDD so much is I don't feel so much of the pressure of those days when he does stuff like that...if that makes sense. He's supposed to be doing this with me but..... I think it's a version he's made up in his head He hung in there with me with lc for months but was absolutely starved on it... go figure!

I have zero contact with my family also... just me, myself & I.. kinda sad but such a relief not to deal with their poison anymore! I can only imagine it's much the same for you.

I guess DH is in trouble today, huh?

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
DesertGurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGurl View Post
Aw well what the heck was DH thinkin?! I love donuts... and am extremely thankful that the KK is too far away to make it worth the drive for me.. there's a DD but meh..I don't like 'em
I have to agree. DD blows (but I like their coffee!).

Quote:
I can certainly relate in alot of ways with the food coming into the house.... it is one of the biggest issues between dh and myself. I think one of the reasons I like JUDDD so much is I don't feel so much of the pressure of those days when he does stuff like that...if that makes sense. He's supposed to be doing this with me but..... I think it's a version he's made up in his head He hung in there with me with lc for months but was absolutely starved on it... go figure!
^^Ding! Ding! Ding! Yep! I think they mold the rules to their own twisted ends. Either that, or mine was feeling Wife-naggin' withdrawals and just went for it.

Quote:
I have zero contact with my family also... just me, myself & I.. kinda sad but such a relief not to deal with their poison anymore! I can only imagine it's much the same for you.
It is indeed, and I'm so sorry you're in the same boat. Two confessions: 1) I'd sent DD to stay with my mother over the summer. It didn't end well. She found out that my mom (who had convinced me for 19 years that she was sober) has been using with my DS and DB. Was also extremely emotionally abusive to my daughter while she was there. Hello guilt. 2) My DS is back in jail. I've lost count how many times it is now. Last time I saw him was 3 yrs ago in the state pen...and it was the first time in something like 9 yrs I'd seen him fully and truly sober. ETA: I'm still in disbelief that this is my son.

I count my blessings now that none of them can hurt DD and me. That was not the case when we weren't 2000 miles away from them.

I think those three people are enough to keep me from ever moving back home...idk, the place just feels tainted now.

Quote:
I guess DH is in trouble today, huh?
He most certainly is. Can't fault him completely, he's a young 'un in training (I am cougar...hear me roar).

Last edited by Rayne_W; 12-04-2012 at 11:18 AM..
Old 12-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #116
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 135 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I like all this tea discussion. I used to enjoy black tea with cream and sugar, but have gotten out of the habit. I think I may pick some up next time I'm at the store. Being from the South, I grew up on sweetened black tea (iced). There was always a pitcher of it in the fridge! Hardly ever drink it now.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #117
Senior LCF Member

Welcome, LG!

I have to admit, I'd never experienced Southern sweet tea until a little restaurant opened up in town that specializes in Southern/Cajun cuisine. First glass of sweet tea almost knocked me out...but wow was it good!

Hot tea and autumn/winter always seem to go together for me. It's a slower time of year, and I love the ritual of preparing it.

Made the tzatziki sauce (recipe follows), set a few thin red onion slices to marinate in red wine vinegar, and also sliced up a few extra cucumbers that are now sitting in a colander sprinkled with salt. After they've drained, I'll add some onions, fresh dill, ACV and black pepper to marinate for my next DD as a snack.

TZATZIKI SAUCE

8 oz plain Greek yogurt
1 cucumber - peeled, seeded, and grated, then squeezed as dry as possible
1 clove garlic, pressed or finely minced
2 T fresh dill, finely chopped (or 1 T dry)
1-2 T EVOO
1-2 t red wine vinegar
salt to taste

Wanted badly to add another clove of garlic, but I think my last batch nearly knocked out the family.

Last edited by Rayne_W; 12-04-2012 at 12:21 PM..
Old 12-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #118
Senior LCF Member

The Good: The falafel wraps were delicious!

The Bad: I went back for seconds! Exceeded my UD allotment by 400 cals. I tick myself off sometimes...gah!

Tomorrow's plan: Cals as low as possible, aiming for all-liquids (tea, Mio water, broth, SF jello).
Old 12-05-2012, 08:55 AM   #119
Senior LCF Member

Drive-By Weigh-In

Goal for December: 233

12/1: 237.4 DD Yesterday's UD dinner didn't sit well or stay long. ugh.
12/2: 237.0 UD
12/3: 238.4 DD
12/4: 238.4 UD Didn't drink enough water yesterday
12/5: 238.4 DD (UD yesterday, which I mistook for All-You-Can-Eat-Falafel-Fest-2012, saved by last-minute water flush)

Still shooting for a liquids-only day. Very bloated and buoyant thanks to all the garbanzo beans in the falafel. Can you say "Crop Dusting the House"?

Starting off with black tea (assam) and a bit of FF half-n-half. Also have a tall glass of Mio water at hand.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #120
Senior LCF Member

So, it's now just after 7 pm. I've had two mugs of black tea w/milk, now on my 3rd, along with over 2 L of Mio water. Less hunger than on a day where I've eaten, on par or better than the day I drank hibiscus tea. If hunger becomes a problem, I'll probably have several SF jello cups. If that doesn't soothe the beast, mayyybe some of the vinegar cukes I made yesterday (since the calories are so low).

Feels good, actually, to let my GI tract have a break today.