Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kisha
Stats: Early Pregnancy & Diabetes
WOE: Low Carb Nutrition
Start Date: Due date: November 2011
Kisha's Weight Loss Journal: Epic Battle!

Hello, :blush: I am starting my weight loss journal here.

Induction Atkins New start date: 2/14/11

Here is some information about me:

Sex: Female
Highest weight: 255
Current Weight: around 221
Goal: Mini goal is below 190
Height: 5'6"
Genes: 1/4th Portuguese (which I think acts as a possible negative for weight loss) Mixed Caucasian
Family: History suggests that most of my family has weight and diabetes problems.
Bad habits: Smoking and coffee (both I'd love to eradicate, but one step at a time)

Medical: Type 2 Diabetes, Depression, Low back pain from recent surgery to remove a herniated disk, occasional high blood pressure and high cholesterol.

Prescriptions: Prozac 20mg, Night time muscle relaxer I minimized all my medications in case I get pregnant again. And to try once again for optimal health without medical intervention.

Other Pills: Tylenol and IB's for back pain (daily) Stool softener (nightly) and a daily vitamin which includes omega's, chromium and potassium.

My story:

Like most of you, I have struggled with my weight, pretty much all of my life. I attribute it to the fact that as I was growing up, there was little knowledge of what was truly good for you. I ate a lot of sugary and processed foods.

In my late teens I started dancing for the school dance team. That shaped me up pretty good until I was about 22 and it's been down hill from there.

In recent years, I gave birth to my now 3 year old daughter. The pregnancy itself was it's own little nightmare. I was forced onto insulin injections, three times a day. I finally just went low carb and reduced the injections myself which actually stabilized my blood sugars and my doctors were shocked! I gave birth to a very healthy little girl. During the pregnancy I did often have panic attacks and low blood sugar attacks. It was crazy and scary! After I gave birth, I was officially at the highest weight I had ever been. I was exhausted and completely stressed out. It was a very difficult time in my life.

Then last year I decided to take care of some of my under-lying problems. I had moderate sleep apnea and had my tonsils, adenoids, uvula, and soft pallet worked on. The most painful surgery of my lifetime! A fair trade to not being stuck on a machine for a life time. In my opinion.

I also had my appendix removed (emergency) and a herniated disk removed from my back. I spent a good year on pain medications and that was not fun to get off of, let me tell you. But I did it, and I am so glad. Now I am just stuck on IBs and Tylenol and that seems never ending. I fear that could be bad for me in the long run. It's either that or live in pain. I just don't know how to solve that problem yet.

In part the herniated disk came from over working myself, extra strenious work out routines. As early in the year I went on a low calorie diet and exercised up to five days a week. Walking, water aerobics and weight training. But my weight training was un-assisted and believe that may have been cause of the major strain on my back. During that time I did manage to drop 20-30 pounds. Thankfully I've only gained back about 10 since then.

About 9 years ago I did the induction for Atkins and it worked beautifully. For my wedding. Over a 6 month period of time I went down to 190 approximately. And looked pretty good for my wedding. I've yo-yo'ed ever since then. Under stress I tend to eat the wrong foods to help me feel better. Always is short lived.

Now, I am feeling stronger again. Less stressed and sleeping much better. So I figured it was time to try and tackle this once and for all. Unfortunately I don't feel I can do much exercise. My back gives me grief even going to the grocery store or doing chores or even playing with my daughter. I'd like to get back in the pool... I just don't have the motivation.

I fear failure. I am continuously scared something will happen that will hinder me to doing what I am doing. I get so obsessive about losing weight sometimes that it seems to overcome me. Then when I fail, I just get more and more disappointed as the years go by. I'm to the point that I believe I am metabolically resistant. But everyday, I keep trying! I try to not let it over come me and be happy with who I am. But change is never easy!

My belief: I believe that I can overcome this weight problem. And I don't expect it to be easy. I'd like to do it without the need for medical intervention. But if push comes to shove... I'll do that, if necessary!

Rules and Goals, I like to follow:
1. Eat small meals through-out the day. 4-5
2. Meats / fats (nitrate free) at every meal
3. Low carb veggies (sparingly)
4. No processed foods (even if it says low carb)
5. Minimize the use of cheese's
6. Drink lots of water
7. Motivate myself to do some physical activity, everyday.
8. Eat no longer than 6 hours apart (during waking hours)
9. Cut back on caffeine. (its difficult because I suffer from migraines)
10. Portion control (one of the hardest things to do)
11. Calorie control (a battle on low carb)
12. Remain diligent and patient.

This week: Week 1 and 2
This week has been tough. I've wavered a little bit, here and there. But I'm fluctuating within those five pounds up and down. Standing on the scale once a day is BAD for morale! I may be having some pre-menstrual symptoms this week as well.

Sample Menu: (just some examples of meals)
Low carb crust-less quiche made with eggs and cream cheese
2 eggs and bacon
Rotisserie Chicken
Chicken salad made with mayo and seasonings
romaine and canned tunna with blue cheese dressing
Coffee with splenda and heavy whipping cream
water

Working in my favor:
I am not addicted to carbs like I used to be 10 years ago. Stopping carbs seems to be second nature. Although the pitfall to that is that I am unable to lose quickly now due to its no longer shocking my system. And I have faith in God, that He will help show me the way to true freedom from weight gain and unhealthy living. I just have to believe in myself and Him to find my true self.

Ok now that you have a BOOK on me. Feel free to comment. I'll try to track weekly here, my progress.

Thank you friends,
Kisha

Last edited by Kisha; 02-22-2011 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: spelling
Kisha is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
good luck!

from current research and personal experience, I think 3 good meals is better than 4-5 smaller ones for diabetics. are you on any meds? keeping your blood sugar under GOOD control really should be goal #1, because the long term damage otherwise is just hell. I wish people had been a lot firmer with me about this 15 years ago!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

I am on no diabetic med's currently. I was on Metformin but the doctors said I was controlling my A1C well enough that I didn't need it.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:52 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 19, 2011
Looks like a great start!
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:58 PM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisha View Post
I am on no diabetic med's currently. I was on Metformin but the doctors said I was controlling my A1C well enough that I didn't need it.
good. just be aware that A1c is a very crude measure, and the real thing you need to watch is to be sure it never goes over 140 ever. that means testing 2 hours after meal starts when you eat the most carbs you eat. if it's over 140, damage is being done. having an A1c under 6 is good, but no guarantee. the doctor is not going to be the one dealing with nerve damage, kidney disease, loss of eyesight, etc. Like I said, I did what the doctors said and it was NOT ENOUGH. you really need to take responsibility for this yourself or you are the one who will deal with the consequences. having said that, hopefully your post prandial blood sugars are fine!
Old 02-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
good. just be aware that A1c is a very crude measure, and the real thing you need to watch is to be sure it never goes over 140 ever. that means testing 2 hours after meal starts when you eat the most carbs you eat. if it's over 140, damage is being done. having an A1c under 6 is good, but no guarantee. the doctor is not going to be the one dealing with nerve damage, kidney disease, loss of eyesight, etc. Like I said, I did what the doctors said and it was NOT ENOUGH. you really need to take responsibility for this yourself or you are the one who will deal with the consequences. having said that, hopefully your post prandial blood sugars are fine!
At first when I read this, I thought to myself... Of course my blood sugars are under control! Aren't they? Then I realized that I don't usually track my blood sugars as closely as I used too.

I called my doctor and asked for a script of Metphormin to take at night before bed. If there is any danger that my blood sugars are out of control, this will nip it in the bud now.

I am hoping next month to be able to afford test strips and a new meter. Last A1C was 6.0 but my fasting sugars were still 122. That fasting number is not good. So I took heart to your advice and decided to further try to control the blood sugar issue. To see if that helps.

This week:
In review
I had a ruff week. I didn't follow the plan to the tee yesterday, and ended up having trouble not eating some carbs. But today is a new day and I am back on my way! Partly due to the fact that I caught the flu. Headache, stuffy nose, sore throat and chest congestion. YUCK! I feel like I have the plague! But it's keeping my stomach at bay, for now!

I just added Metphormin back into my pill rotation. 500 mg every night. Hopefully this will help me keep my blood sugars in check, especially while I sleep!
Old 02-24-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Isn't that the key to Atkins? I mean really? You eat proteins/fats and shortly your cravings go down, along with your appetite. Allowing you to not eat as much, and in short cut your calories enough to lose weight!

It's like the sky parted and I can see the truth shining from the sun! lol

I always see pictures of these huge extravagant low carb meals people boast about. But ultimately... I believe we were never meant to eat like that, except for once in a while! (at least not in huge single consumptions!) I've personally benefited from low carb eating and fasting combined! Anyway, food for thought!

So you may be right, that eating less meals everyday is more likely to burn fat stores than it would if you ate 4 or 5 meals all day long. I just got done reading an article about that very point. I think I'll try that this week!
Old 03-04-2011, 04:37 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Well crap! I was going to post that I seemed to have re-gained or re-retained that 5 ibs this week. But I just got home from the doctor! And the vedict is:

I'm pregnant!

So I guess this journal will be (for now) my pregnancy journal and nutritional eating. I still will need to eat fairly low carb as I have type 2 diabetes!