Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 09:29 AM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hazelgreen
Stats: 283/233/180
WOE: General LowCarb/Atkins
Start Date: Restart again Dec 5, 2010
oh my, I think it is time to rein myself in and be strict with the carb intake. This past week has not been good, eating wise. I was starting to fall for the mindset of: oh I can up my carbs a bit and just "eat healthy" --haha; well that mindset is failing me.

What happens is that by evening, I am craving SUGAR which has never been my main temptation really. But being out of even mild ketosis is bringing my appetite back with a vengeance and I must do something before serious weight gain becomes a reality. I've been fluctuating between 235-240 now for most of October, and DO NOT want to ruin the past year's progress. It didn't help that TOM arrived last weekend either, but that's almost over, so it's time to get back on track.

Today I will cook up some cabbage and bacon I think. That's something I can nibble on all day to keep hunger away and keep my vow. There's a nice rump roast in the freezer that I can throw in the oven tomorrow or Sunday. Time to jump back on the lowcarb wagon and commit fully again!! Tired of feeling bloated and unhealthy!!!

Also the evening carb binges give me heartburn and disrupt my sleep too---I'd almost forgotten that aspect of not eating clean, and it's enough to motivate me in the right direction.

My weight loss journal http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...b-journey.html
hazelgreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2011, 08:04 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Doing well after 4 days of strictness, back on track and feeling great too!! Dropped 4 lbs of water weight, so the bloat is gone Forced myself to go walking on Sunday and once I got going (with my neighbor, which helps) was glad I made the effort. We walked on Friday too. Dogsitting at a friend's house, and I recall 6-8 months ago my big butt barely fit in her kitchen chairs. Now I am very comfortable fitting in the same chairs
Old 10-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: green team
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelgreen View Post
Doing well after 4 days of strictness, back on track and feeling great too!! Dropped 4 lbs of water weight, so the bloat is gone Forced myself to go walking on Sunday and once I got going (with my neighbor, which helps) was glad I made the effort. We walked on Friday too. Dogsitting at a friend's house, and I recall 6-8 months ago my big butt barely fit in her kitchen chairs. Now I am very comfortable fitting in the same chairs
I always thought dogsitters sat on the dog.
green team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green team View Post
I always thought dogsitters sat on the dog.
one of the dogs here I almost COULD sit on and not hurt him, he is so big. He's very gentle, thankfully, but stubborn.

Anyway the week has gone well, ate a big salad today, some string cheese and peanuts. Yesterday was chicken thighs stewed with spices and olive oil. I can tell I need to cut out the peanuts, and also I've only gone walking once this week besides Sunday. More walking, less peanuts = mini goal for now
Old 11-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member

still pluggin away as always....can't believe I haven't been here in 2 weeks!! I'm on and off but mostly doing ok. Probably not in ketosis to be honest, as I am mostly just staying moderate carb and walking a lot too. I'm trying to get to a mindset of doing a 2 week stint of re-induction but lately I get too hyper when I'm strict low carb. Had some bouts of insomnia and headaches lately so just trying to get by some days. Exercise helps. Went one day to my local community center to sign up (state of the art fitness center etc) but decided not to, because I know how I am (scared!). Friend posted some pics on FB from a couple of months ago and I'm still depressed how I look in photos. Scale is still friendly, maintaining in the 230's. Started doing some BodyFlex type exercises, deep breathing and stretches, but not religious about it. Ah well, that is my current update such as it may be. sigh. Why is it so hard sometimes? Why can other people eat normal food and not be fat?
Old 11-21-2011, 02:26 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Still doing moderate carb, just not into meat lately. Walked a whole lot last week, like 3 days for an hour at a time (walked 5 days total but some days were cold!). Now we had a snowfall but it should start melting by tomorrow. I just can't walk on ice. I love walking in cold weather if I bundle up properly. We had one day last week, though, that was cold AND windy so I didn't walk that day. Trying to keep the food intake at a moderate level, and being very conscious of it since I'm not staying strict lowcarb. Weighed today and still in the mid 230's. I'm happy to maintain until I get into weight loss mode once again.

Last edited by hazelgreen; 11-21-2011 at 02:47 PM..
Old 12-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Nothing much new except snow on the ground now, which has curtailed my walking. I was getting some excellent long walks in up until last week, actually loved walking in the cold weather as long as the wind wasn't too bad. My dog and I were averaging 45 minutes to an hour every walk, several days a week. Other than Thanksgiving Day I've been ok on the food intake, not strict lowcarb but very moderate and avoiding most foods that pack on pounds. I bought some more of the expensive probiotic blend that I like, it includes lacto gasseri which is supposed to help in weight loss. It may just be my perception, but I really think the probiotic is helping me maintain. Since I'm not walking so much I'm trying to find a good exercise routine to do at home. We don't have room for a treadmill or elliptical machine as much as I'd love to have one. So far I do some crunch type exercises and stretches, and try to get in an hour of active housework every day (some days lazier than others!!). It really helps now that my hip and joint pain is minimal and I truly hope it stays that way!!

Also noted this week is one year since "restarting" and I'd have to say I am happy to have taken off the pounds that I did, even though it may take another year or more to lose another 40-50. Even another 20 lbs by next summer would make me really happy. Maybe soon I can motivate myself to get serious and into weight loss mode. Right now though, I don't see it happening as winter makes me feel less inspired. We'll see.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Proud to say that various factors have motivated me to at least go back to induction levels of lowcarb for a week or so. We have a family gathering next weekend and I'll probably indulge a little bit then, as my SIL's make some awesome food/cookies and I abstained from it all last year. Anyway, yesterday I went to a friend's house for chili dinner and brought cornbread, ate too much and felt really bloated today. Also have not been getting adequate exercise for over a week now so not burning off the extras. I'm checking into getting a rebounder/mini trampoline for winter exercise. Got to do something!! I feel better already even just committing and so far today only had a Hebrew National hot dog and some LC deli tuna salad that my dear daughter brought home from work for me (she works in an organic/whole foods type deli). Trying to drink a lot of water too. I just feel so much better not eating carby foods. and the accountability of keeping a journal here helps me so much. Thanks LCF!!!
p.s. realized my main problem today is that I'm just freezing cold now!! I'm sure my body likes calories lately to create body heat but too bad!! I just put a little ground beef on to cook, and I have some lettuce, so that will be dinner. Then relax with some warm blankets after dinner!!

Last edited by hazelgreen; 12-08-2011 at 04:32 PM..
Old 12-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Well, I am NOT having much luck sticking to VLC. Not doing terribly bad on food choices, but definitely not staying at induction levels. Lack of activities is a contributing factor; I am just so non-motivated to do much of ANYTHING in winter. I need to dedicate a day to heavy housecleaning and create some projects for myself to keep busy. Tomorrow I am going to look at and probably buy a rebounder. Some exercise will definitely help me get back on track. Ever since the weather got too uncomfortable for walking outside, I've been in a downward spiral. Well enough of this pity party, for now.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Things are much better now after a bit of a struggle earlier in the week. Went and bought the rebounder/mini trampoline and am SO impressed with it!! I can only do a few minutes at a time, several times a day, feeling the burn, and using muscles that I didn't know I had to overuse a phrase. Got it from a Craigslist ad and the lady threw in half a dozen instructional DVD's too, that I haven't watched yet. Realized yet again that somehow my eating habits are strongly tied in to my exercise regimen, as it's been much easier to control my eating now that I'm back in the saddle with exercise. Hurray!!
Old 12-30-2011, 11:45 AM   #71
Senior LCF Member

All is well, not low carb so much these days but fairly moderate food intake and I still avoid processed foods as much as I can. Also I still do limit breads and sweets, so I guess I'm doing ok. I still hop on the scale when I get brave and tend to hover around 240 now, but been getting plenty of exercise so I feel fairly toned despite not losing anything in a few months. Average walking=45 mins to one hour 3-4 days a week. We've been very lucky with good walking weather this winter. Haven't used the rebounder so much since I've been able to get out walking, but I still love the way it tones different muscles than walking does. My goal for now is to work out more on the rebounder, keep walking, and will get back to lower carb when I can stomach it. On Christmas Day our big meal was steak in a mushroom sauce with roasted veggies from the oven. Amazingly I haven't had a lot of appetite lately in general, maybe due to having a warmer winter than usual? Happy New Year
Old 01-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #72
Senior LCF Member

hmmm, I see I have not checked in for a while. But here I am in a small southwestern desert town enjoying January!! I'm helping a friend fix up his house here, staying active, and enjoying warm sunshine I even brought my rebounder with me, as it helps immensely in maintaining core body strength so my back doesn't get too sore from heavy labor. We live right in the downtown district of this small town so generally I walk everywhere. We have fresh produce available here, and while as usual I am not staying strictly lowcarb, I'm eating fairly healthily, partly because my food budget here is limited so we don't eat out a lot. So that's all I can think of right now, but always helps me to check in, and stay accountable. Happy New Year
Old 02-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Proud to say I have been back on lower carb for 3 days now and doing well. Amazing how fantastic it feels to limit the carbs again and get my energy back!! When I first arrived at this desert town I wasn't eating a lot but not limiting carbs either, and slowly the carb creep made me realize I was feeling bloated and not at my best. Then the menopausal TOM came around and I felt even worse. I'm trying to keep my activity level up while I'm here, and going back on lower carb is helping immensely. The local grocery has many tortilla choices, including carb control tortillas, and those are easy to make quick meals with. also Salsa, avocadoes, spicy cheese, lots of good peppers: that's what I'm basing my diet around right now. So far so good. I'm kind of craving a big salad lately, so may lean that way next time I hit the grocery store. I don't have a scale here so will just have to do my best to follow my instincts and stay on track. Also I have some tuna and mayo and cole slaw mix (shredded cabbage in a bag) so will have that on a LC tortilla I think for a couple of days. Our stove here doesn't work, so my choices are limited. But I'm not too picky with food, except for not being a big meat eater, so I'll make do with what I can manage.

Last edited by hazelgreen; 02-06-2012 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: more food ideas!!
Old 02-07-2012, 06:58 AM   #74
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AsmallerME
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2012
Good luck Hazel!! You sound like you are in the right spot to stick to it and see good results, even with no stove.
AsmallerME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Amber!! Looks like you're doing great too

I MUST get back on my rebounder soon, to keep my back limbered up. The last 2-3 years of painful arthritic symptoms have been a major factor in weight issues for me.

The older I get, I realize I MUST stay active or atrophy into a lump My activity so far this week has been moving some lumber around, and outdoor painting, which doesn't sound strenuous but is good for me to stretch and reach and move around rather than sitting too much.

Yesterday I ate tuna tortillas for breakfast and dinner, with a snack of jalapeno string cheese and chicharrones (pork rinds) for a late lunch. Time to think of some other meals that won't require an oven edit: EGGS!! We have a neighbor who raises chickens, however he told us they aren't laying much lately. I'm going to scout out some nice fresh eggs around here somewhere though--that's my plan!!

I'm kind of glad I don't have a scale here; too easy for me to get obsessed with the numbers--I say that because I can feel the difference in my body (in a GOOD way) these past few days even without a scale.

Last edited by hazelgreen; 02-08-2012 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: eggs
Old 02-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member

I did really well this past week or two until the past 2 days. We had dinner with friends last night and tonight, and I ate a bit too much and not lowcarb either. Been at this too long to beat myself up about it. It was really nice eating hot fresh food with friends, rather than my normal diet lately of carb control tortillas with LC fillings. I have been switching up the tortilla filling quite a bit: cheeses, chicken salad, seafood salad, a 5-layer dip that had some beans but otherwise was LC.

Also my activity level since Friday has been a bit more sedate. Up until the last few days though I was feeling great, leaner and more fit. I did go walking with my dog today, and Friday we moved a 2-ton pile of heavy rocks by hand, which was quite a workout, though not as grueling as it sounds. Other than those 2 activities, I've been lazy for several days!!

A friend today mentioned how his arthritis is eased by limiting sugar, and while I never really considered that, it's probably true!! Right now, I can't use joint pain as an excuse to veg out either, as I've been almost pain free for over a week. and almost afraid to type it out too (jinxed!! lol j/k) Anyway, just checking in from the desert
Old 03-31-2012, 01:18 PM   #77
Senior LCF Member

I am back home now from my southwestern sojourn. March got very busy so I haven't checked in here in a while, it seems!! But all is well. I'm sure I was losing weight again in March but had no scale to check it out. Then 5 days of road travel eating mostly fast food bloated me again, and I don't dare step on the scale here at home until the bloat passes. Actually it's better already, but PMS appears to be happening so I'll wait and see if that passes too (with menopause I'm just never sure). My neighbor who is my walking partner is so glad I'm back and I hope we can start walking again soon. So far we plan to walk Monday when she has a day off. I'm going to set up my rebounder outside now that winter is over. Well, guess that's all for now!!
Old 04-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Still here!!

April has been full of ups and downs: eating habits, exercise, and weather too. My scale especially has been acting strangely; it ranges from 236 well into the 240's so I don't know if it's working or not, but at least I can get an idea of my weight when I need to. Since I haven't been too strict with my LC eating, I'm not surprised to see 240's and would really like to work on that number range with summer coming up. I just need to make up my mind and DO IT!!

I've made a concerted effort to stay active and get my walks in, and hop on the rebounder, but sadly (for me) my good walking buddy has been working 5 days a week lately, so we only get to walk together once a week or so. It's more of a chore walking by myself but I do it anyway.

My goal right now is to (once again) recommit to being carb-conscious, as that always gives me energy and helps the pounds fall away. When hot summer days arrive, I will be glad I did!!
Old 04-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Last 2-3 days managed to stay on track, mostly, which doesn't mean a blessed thing though, unless I make a pact with myself to REALLY stay on track. Yesterday had some wonderful eggs for lunch and a bit of bacon, ate cooked cabbage Friday and Saturday, and today a bit of cottage cheese, a LC tortilla with a slice of cheese, and later this afternoon had a nice grass fed beef burger patty with a few sauteed onions.

Walked a bunch too today after being housebound Friday and Saturday due to weather. My weekend downfall was eating pizza Friday night, ugh!! I think I am still bloated from that; pizza and I just should avoid each other!! I don't even like it that much anymore. Not worth the carbs and excess sodium

Feeling kind of down and blah, as are many other people in my small universe, so it's not just me. I have an interesting work opportunity that I need to follow up on, and keep putting it off. I think following up on that will make me feel more direction in life, so other than keeping my eating and exercise on track, that is my mini goal for now

Forgot to say, I think I've started having menopausal hot flashes!! So far they only amuse me because it's such a weird feeling. If they get worse I may consider taking black cohosh or something natural to relieve them. So far, they are bearable, just annoying.

Last edited by hazelgreen; 04-29-2012 at 07:10 PM..
Old 05-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #80
Senior LCF Member

hurray for lowcarb!! I'm struggling some days but been back on the LC train for 4 days now, and pounds are dropping again, which is welcome as I was seeing the carb creep happening, yikes!! Steak is in a pan, bought some salad veggies yesterday too. Ate cabbage and bacon one day this week, some nice little salmon patties one day, cole slaw and tuna is a staple for me (homemade with mayo only). Hoping to keep this up and see some pounds drop for summer. Been rainy off and on so walking is curtailed, but I do love my walks when I can get them in.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Still here, still doing pretty well, maintaining and not really losing again like I'd hoped but did peel off the 6-7 lbs I had gained upon returning home from the desert. Gaining just scares me so much, don't want to go backwards!! I know my real challenge these days is staying strict lowcarb every day for weeks and months--I just haven't been successful doing that lately.

I have been eating a lot of vegetables lately though, today so far was typical: bowl of yummy Brussels sprouts with a bit of fried onion mixed in, then later a cheese sandwich on high fiber wheat bread, then a brisk walk with my neighbor.

Most days I hop on my rebounder a couple of times a day and work on core strength--I can tell a big difference when I stay faithful to the rebounder! It helps my back, hip, and joint pain so I can stay active.

Just looked at some recent photos of myself and as usual, fat faced!! I can see my body is fairly toned and somewhat compact (compared to 40 lbs ago) for my size/weight, but my face is still so chubby--I hate it!! I used to do Body Flex and there are some facial exercises included on that, maybe I should work on it again: breathing and stretching, including my jowly face. Ugh.

edit: just updated my current stats weight to 243 from 233. I did briefly see 233 one day last summer after a colonoscopy and being crazy busy for awhile, but it didn't stick so I must be honest. We'll go from there...

Last edited by hazelgreen; 05-23-2012 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: stats
Old 06-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

just checking in, not much loss/gain to report and been a little lazy in the humid heat the past week. Not totally lazy but more lazy than I'm comfortable with. The next 2 weeks promise to be very busy and active though. I'm traveling again soon and my main vow is to avoid fast food while on road trips. I'm bringing bread, cheese and apples. Obviously not low carb but better than giving in to burgers and fries.

Right now I'm just fuming over a comment made by a younger friend. This so-called friend is really annoying me lately and I've been avoiding him anyway, because every encounter with him lately has been infuriating. A mutual friend of ours recently broke up with a woman, and when I asked why, younger friend said "because she was fat." I know this is not the total truth because I have heard the breakup was for multiple causes, but I just wasn't sure what the main reason was.

Grrr, I think what bothers me is that this "kid" is just so irritating and his comment confirms my opinion that he should be avoided. Or something. I just needed to vent!! One of my pet peeves is people's attitudes about overweight people being inferior somehow to "normal weight people". The guy who broke up with the woman for being fat also contradicts himself by posting stuff on FB about "being ourselves and loving each other for who we are" blah blah blah. Hypocrites make me so angry, and actually I don't think break up guy is being a hypocrite, I think younger friend is just being a jerk with the things he blurts out. Thanks for listening if anyone even reads this :P
Old 07-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #83
Senior LCF Member

After a few weeks of on and off traveling, I'm back on low carb, RESTART AGAIN! So far so good, Day 3 today and actually enjoying eating clean again. As always, I seldom really pig out when I go off plan, but the pounds creep back if I don't watch the carbs.

I was surprised I had not really gained since I last weighed, but the heat lately had made me feel bloated and water-retentive. In some photos I looked like a huge cow which was discouraging too So for now, just hanging in there and getting back on track to lose some pounds and enjoy summer activity

Chicken breast and coleslaw on the menu today. Yesterday had a big salad, fish and zucchini at a restaurant. Monday was 2 eggs, some bacon, cottage cheese, green beans, and LC tortillas with swiss cheese. Last night I ate a bunch of almonds so will have to watch that!! And I found a yogurt I really like that is not strictly lowcarb but very refreshing for a tasty snack.

Getting back on the rebounder helps, and took a walk with my dog yesterday evening which I hadn't done in a while due to soaring temps this summer. But the humidity wasn't bad, so we enjoyed our walk.

Last edited by hazelgreen; 07-11-2012 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: bacon
Old 07-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Doing really well on Day 5 of this restart. Feel great finally, glad to get rid of the hot weather bloat I had before. Looking at the photos from the past month, and knowing that pound-wise I had not really gained (I fluctuate around 5 lbs normally so anything within that range I consider "same weight" also my scale is kind of unreliable for being 100% accurate), I almost have to think that my silly body expands in the heat and contracts in the colder weather!! Seriously, I don't know what else to think. I've been drinking much more water and iced tea since I've been home from traveling which helps too, to keep the bloat away. Yesterday ate part of a polish sausage, mayo-based coleslaw, cheese, almonds, 2 low carb tortillas. Quantities fairly small to moderate -- other staples this week have been green beans, eggs, tuna, chicken.

I'm kind of trying to incorporate JUDDD into my eating plan, but have not been very strict about it. I like the idea of it though, as often I have a "hungry day" followed by a "not-hungry day" and do like to keep my metabolism up, as from experience I know my body just shuts down metabolically if I "starve". Yet if I don't limit quantities I don't lose very fast. I've been on the scale once or twice this week and lost 7-8 lbs since Monday, which was mostly water I'm sure.

I get in some activity every day, trying to get an hour in, and no less than 30 minutes. Digging on an outside garden project, walking, heavy housework, whatever works.

Last edited by hazelgreen; 07-13-2012 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: scale
Old 07-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Well I guess it's been almost 3 weeks now and I'm STILL on track!! This is a record for the past months, when I restart only to "fail" after a few days. Not sure what I've lost really as my scale is acting haywire. It jumps around to about 10 different weights so I can only get a ballpark figure, but the trend is downward. Decided I don't really care what a scale says anyway, as I can only lose what my body allows--all I can do is "do the right things" so I do for the most part.

A couple of times went out to lunch in the past week, and maybe ate a few extra carbs but was very cautious not to overeat or indulge too much. Been plugging along on my garden space project which is labor-intensive and started cleaning out the garage too. I jump on the rebounder a few times a day and I feel like it helps a lot too.

Today ate a big salad for lunch and dinner was 1-1/2 burger patties. Yesterday was a pork chop with green pepper and onions, 1-1/2 weiners with mustard and a low carb tortilla with swiss cheese. Had to go to the grocery yesterday for veggies, so they will be on the menu the next few days: broccoli, caulifower, eggplant, salad. I'm craving cottage cheese with tomato but our homegrown tomatoes are just getting to the shelves/farmer's markets and cottage cheese was ridiculously expensive at the grocery so I didn't buy any yet.

well, I guess that's all for now.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Well, I see I have been offline here for quite awhile; started a new part time job in October and just been very busy. Of course, I ate way too much yesterday but glad the holiday is over!! If my scale can be trusted, I've lost about 15 lbs since I started the new job, where I am on my feet and moving about 15-20 hours a week. Seems all the weight I've lost is in my hips and legs though, as all my pants now have baggy legs!! Tummy still a problem area as it's always been. Oh, well. It's doing me good to stay active in winter. My neighbor and I were still going on walks up til the snow fell a couple of weeks ago. I'm off and on with healthy eating, but mostly try to avoid processed food.

Since my job is part time I usually eat one good solid meal a day and bring yogurt and a banana to work as a snack, or else a simple cheese sandwich on high fiber bread. So I'm not really low carbing anymore, but in the carbs I eat, I try to keep the fiber in there. Still avoid sugar as much as I can, and I know bananas are high sugar but the yogurt and banana snack keeps me going well at work.