Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2011, 11:15 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hazelgreen
Stats: 283/233/180
WOE: General LowCarb/Atkins
Start Date: Restart again Dec 5, 2010
Hiya Jan glad to see you back with us

oh, my, I totally forgot something I meant to post 2 weeks ago, when I went to my friend Marla's followup doctor appointment with her. We were going over her diet and mentioned eggs, because I was fixing her for breakfast every day: 1 real egg, plus eggbeater egg whites to make about a 3 egg serving. The doctor (cardiologist) spoke up and said "well, we have kind of changed the recommendations now, and we're more worried nowadays about sugar and carbs affecting heart health, rather than good quality protein." Hallelujah!! I was so pleased to hear that. Can't believe I forgot that before.

On my own homefront, woke up this morning to a 4 pound loss, down to 244!! Can't believe that either, what a whoosh. I expect it to moderate though, as I did not eat much yesterday, so I imagine at least 2 lbs of it was due to low food intake. So not claiming it yet, but felt good to see it

My weight loss journal http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...b-journey.html
hazelgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:29 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JK130
Stats: 280/152/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: 7.1.09
oh yeah! claim it! every pound counts!!! how's it going being back at home? i think wrangling with your friends pups helped develop our stamina!! Woo Hoo!! keep it up! doesn't it feel good to be able to move more? i gained some weight on vacation and i can totally feel it when moving, even in everyday activities like getting up and down from the floor or a chair. i'm working on re-losing. sad, but it's gotta be done. seeing your loss is motivation to me!!! Nice work, friend! Jan
JK130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:41 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Well, unfortunately I can't claim that 244 as I am back up around 250 All the small things, sigh, that I KNOW are just "tiny" cheats, but my body is unforgiving. Also PMS doesn't help either, that's due this week. I have my GYN appointment in a few weeks, and going to ask about the Novasure procedure. At my age, who wants to deal with this monthly thing anymore? I know it doesn't prevent symptoms other than flow, but I'll take anything! We have a mini-vacation planned for Memorial Day weekend, and dontcha know I'll be due again then, unless menopausal symptoms decide to make another appearance. Ah well, enough of that unpleasant subject.

Now the "tiny cheats": first off, too many almonds, must hide them!!! Went out to lunch with family on Saturday, ate a HUGE Cobb salad with piles of chicken on it. Totally LC legal but too much food!! I know better than to eat that much, but it was so good too. Yesterday ham with some mustard of course, so probably too much sodium ingested even though I am not a big fan of ham and didn't eat a ton of it.

Around suppertime I opened a can of black olives, planning to eat just a few and ate the whole can!! Not good. And of course a few weekend drinkies, diet tonic & vodka or a bloody Mary. For months now I have severely limited alcohol consumption, but not this past week I haven't!! Must practice some temperance again, I guess.

So that's my week in review. I'm going to a chiropractor today, which I have never done, so that will be interesting.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:25 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Bleh....I need a stall breaker. Overall I buckled down and got serious this week. Early in the week VLC: just eggs with butter, and meat, no cheese or nuts. But the scale won't budge. Added in some veggies again midweek (I don't like to skimp on my greens for regularity). Keeping the water intake up as much as I can without floating away.

Went walking a couple of times but bad weather for 3 days didn't make the outdoors very pleasant. Inflated my new exercise ball and did some crunches and pushups with it a few days this week.

Been trying to keep portion sizes in the small/moderate range too, but that's not helping either. GRRRR. The scale still tips around 248-250 with no change. Inches lost: well, my waist stays the same but hips went down an inch the past month. That's about all I can claim. Guess I'll take it

Hormonal maybe? This appears to be one of those menopausal times, PMS symptoms but nothing else happening. I got the new BioThin that has Irvingia and not sure I like the new formula. The old BioThin worked well for me, I thought, but it's no longer available? Also I'm taking a probiotic before meals, when I remember. I've been looking at the Stillman protocol, maybe that will budge things along. Either that, or add in some carbs and watch calories for a few days? That never works for me, though it might jumpstart me if I do it and then go back on LC.

The best thing this week was discovering chiropractic care. So far I'm very impressed.
I've only had 2 visits but my hip pain was noticably lessened after the first visit. So I have hopes for this course of treatment helping me to get more active this summer. The Xrays they took at my consultation showed how crooked I was getting due to favoring the bad hip. If I don't get it fixed, I'll just have more trouble down the road so I hope this works!! So far, so good.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Well, here we are again. Not too much new to report weight loss-wise, as I have not been weighing daily this week. I was back at 248 on Monday and returned the BioThin as it was stalling me big time. I tried an experiment during the ten days I took it, because I felt bloated and headachy every time I took it. On 2 random days I did not take it and the bloat/headache/sinus allergy symptoms disappeared on those 2 days.
So back it went. I'm taking some diatomaceous earth again which seems to clean me out and help me feel great.

I have walked daily since Sunday which is an awesome thing for me. The chiropractic series is really helping me to be more active which is a huge goal of mine.
Today was visit number 5 getting "straightened out" and any hip pain I had before is very noticably lessened. I do feel a little sore some days but that's normal, I'm told.
I'm now easily up to 2 miles walking most days, except Sunday and Monday we still had winter so I didn't walk as far as I would've liked. I average 30-45 minutes each walk.
Also still trying to do pushups and crunches using the exercise ball.

Yesterday I had to eat at a Chinese restaurant for DH's birthday and I'm sure my kung pao chicken had all kinds of hidden carbs in the sauce, but it was pretty yummy and spicy, with nice big pieces of green and red peppers. I ate no rice of course, but still felt like I was "cheating". Also I had 2 beers Wednesday night at another birthday celebration. Otherwise I've been on plan, eating ground beef, cabbage, cauliflower, etc.

If the weekend goes ok, I'll weigh again on Monday and would love to see 245 or lower.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:49 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

you are doing so well in so many areas! i think getting control of pain is probably your number 1 priority and you are making good progress there i am impressed with your consistent walking, and i'm sure that contributes to lessening pain too as your muscles relearn to do what they were designed to do.

i think of you often, my friend, and am so pleased with your positive update
Old 05-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Aww Jan thanks for the support!! you are right about the pain. Never until the last 2-3 years have I had chronic pain and now I so appreciate what people go through with it. Well, appreciate may not be the right word, but let's say I empathize. It's no fun, and can so influence so many activities in our lives. I'm thankful to get any relief from it.

to you Jan, hope you are enjoying nice spring days
Old 05-14-2011, 02:32 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

thinking of you, and hoping all is well Jan
Old 05-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Jan...yes I have been lazy about posting since the weather has gotten nicer, though our last few days here have been cold and gloomy with rain. Today was gorgeous though. I've been doing a lot of spring cleaning, a little walking with the dog, visiting with neighbors. The chiropractor visits have continued to help me IMMENSELY.

The scale started moving again, SO glad. I was getting a bit discouraged as the scale did not move much at all for the past month, but it appears that I'm no longer stalled.
What's funny is that *sometimes* for me, eating more food and more fat gets me going again. At least it appeared that way this past week.

Over at my daughter's house today, she showed me a book she is reading "Skinny B****es" or whatever it's called. What a load of BS that book is. I have no problem with people going vegan or vegetarian if that's their choice (in fact I am not a big meat lover myself; I prefer eggs and tuna if possible on LC), but that book had so much misinformation. We had a good discussion about it though. Amazon had some interesting reviews/comments about it if you want to know more about the book (and the B word doesn't offend me in the title, but not sure if I can write it here "legally"), and I see from the reader reviews that I'm not the only person who thinks it's a crock.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:08 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Lazy is good I hear you about discouragement! I still can not wrap my head around how hard it is to lose and how easy it is to gain. I read and read and still don't know why this is so

Have a great day!
Old 05-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Well I guess I better check in once before my life goes into high gear for the first real summer weekend ....actually it already has gotten crazy around here .... drove DH to the hospital yesterday as he had been having shortness of breath and other symptoms for 2-3 days but all tests so far just point to his bad lifestyle habits being the reason. In other words, he does have heart attack risk, but if he would make some lifestyle changes he will live. He does have a lung infection that is being treated. Sadly he is one of the people that make our health care costs so outrageous, and that makes me so mad. He will not go to the doctor unless he is on the verge of dying, this has happened twice now in the past 5 years. GRRRR!! Read my previous post about him if you want to know more.

Despite a very stressful day yesterday I managed to only eat legal LC food, even though I briefly considered not to do so. I've decided to stay off the scale for awhile as it seems to be stuck but I'm still losing inches so I'm just not going to obsess about it. My daughters and I have a weekend camping trip planned that may or may not happen now. I did buy some high fiber crackers to eat with tuna and cheese if we go.

Don't really know what else to say here without writing a book (which I could easily do). I finished the 10th chiropractor visit last week and the series of manipulations helped me a lot. I do better too if I keep up the walking exercise which has fallen by the wayside the last few days due to rain and storms and being too busy.

well, that's all I feel like writing for now....will check in when I can.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:51 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Still hanging in there, though the last 2 weeks have been very busy. Memorial Day weekend we were camping at a music festival and walking A LOT which was great for me, especially with my aches and pains being mostly healed now. I ate a little bit off plan but still tried to maintain and not go too much overboard. Then this past weekend from Thursday til today I was dog sitting at a friend's house, and stayed lowcarb no problem, but have been bloated from PMS. I never know when TOM will appear, as menopausal symptoms are kicking in big time lately. Went to the Dr last week and she doesn't seem concerned, so I'm not either. I have labs scheduled for this week, asked for the VAP test for lipids and they didn't appear to know what I'm talking about. Sigh.

Today watched Rachael Ray show and she had a lot of weight loss stories on. Jorge Cruise was a guest talking about avoiding sugar etc. Normally I don't watch a lot of network TV but was glad to hear some low carb messages preached to the masses.

I haven't weighed in a week but was maintaining then at 248. Been majorly stalled for weeks, but will not give up. I just feel so much better if I eat clean, so I'll continue to do so as much as possible. The Dr seemed ok with low carb and just told me how menopause makes weight loss even harder (no joke!!) and to make sure I keep my metabolism up by not skipping meals etc.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:33 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Well, that's it, I'm claiming 244 now!! I've weighed 3 times this week and keeping it at 243.5-244 so maybe the long stall is broken. I'm about halfway to a realistic mini-goal which would be to at least get back down near 200 again. May take another year but LC is a lifestyle I can live with, so no worries. I have parmesan crusted chicken thighs in the oven along with spaghetti squash yum yum. I'm certainly not deprived.

Also just got my lipid readings back from having labs done yesterday. Haha, their first comment was to refer me to see a primary care physician for further care (I'd gone to the OB GYN for testing, and they only do the basic testing, not VAP). I kind of laughed when I heard the readings because they are almost exactly what they were years ago when I was eating LC and had them tested in 2004. Also I will never take statin drugs.
Total: 235
HDL: 55
LDL: 161
Trig: 96

This thread is helpful but I'm horrible with the math parts
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ch...ol-primer.html

Still waiting for TSH and Vitamin D levels. Fasting Blood glucose was 105.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:06 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

i know that your blood sugar levels are terrific...but i don't pay enough attention to focus on the cholesterol stuff!

your comment about losing weight at "certain age" made me laugh. oh yeah, it's hard. are you doing ok with the extra skin stuff? i'm not

keep going, my friend!!! you are doing great, maybe your dh will jump onboard when he recognizes your success.

i want to go camping!
Old 06-21-2011, 09:34 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

lol Jan, I've pretty much given up on the extra skin problem, and my chin is the worst part of it, for now anyway. I inherited from my dad a very jowly appearance unfortunately. He also had weight issues and at around age 60 he had lost some weight and splurged on a chin tuck or whatever you'd call it. It didn't "hold" for very long and he expressed later that he was sorry he did it, because it was not much of a fix considering the money and discomfort.

My daughter recently posted her pics on FB of our camping adventure and I was disappointed to see that in the pics of me, I look just as round and jowly as ever. However I am still shrinking even if it's not evident in photos; all my clothes are much looser and I even bought a few new items last weekend, just to have a few things that fit and look new.

Today the scale was flirting with 242 which was a welcome sight. I've been bouncing around 244 for a couple of weeks and any loss is appreciated. It's so frustrating though, because I was talking last weekend to a new friend who'd lost 200 lbs a few years ago, going from around 400 lbs to 200 lbs. I ask how she'd done it. She told me she kept a food journal and ate 2000 calories a day, with 25% from fat calories, and also increased her activity level. I know she didn't limit carbs either; because of a previous conversation we had, I don't think she's even aware of carb factors. Ugh, I'm happy for her success, but it just points out as usual that we all have different challenges in weight loss. I would never lose on 2000 cals a day, in fact I'd probably gain, esp if it was a carb heavy diet. Been there, done that. Tried being vegetarian, tried Weight Watchers, tried low fat.....LC has always been the only thing I could really lose on and stick to for a long time.

HOWEVER, I got my vitamin D levels back from the Dr office yesterday and I was at a 27, which is borderline low, based on optimal levels of 30-100. This is interesting because I have been supplementing with D3 for months, but didn't want to go overboard without having my levels checked, in case of toxicity. So there's no telling what my level was before supplementing. Apparently low D levels can cause weight problems, as well as a host of other issues, so I am going to step it up a bit and see what happens. Also magnesium and calcium supplementation is recommended along with the D.

Friday is my colonoscopy and you know how much I'm looking forward to THAT!! At least maybe the "cleansing" part will take off a pound or two, but I'm not counting on it. The hard part is that in these days leading up to the procedure I have to limit myself to low-fiber/low-fat foods, which on LC means eggs, chicken, cottage cheese and maybe some mushy green beans. The recommended food list is almost all carby stuff, and I really don't want to do that. It'll be good for me to limit/eliminate the nuts for now though, as that is a downfall of mine.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:45 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Just a quick scale update after the colonoscopy, um, ordeal.....because according to the nurse "it doesn't last" but I'm hoping I can use the new loss as a springboard (dream on!)

I'm under 240 anyway!! After fasting on Thursday and then spending my Thursday evening next to the bathroom, I was at 236.5 Friday morning. Today still at 238.5. After the procedure I came home and had coffee trying to get over the sedation, but still napped all afternoon, groggy. Ate 3 scrambled eggs with cheese and butter, then later some cottage cheese. I feel back to normal today but yesterday was not fun. I was under the impression (various friends lately have had colonoscopies and assured me it wasn't that bad--HA!!) that I would be sedated but still aware during the procedure, but they pretty much knocked me out for 20-30 minutes while doing it. All was well, one very tiny polyp that wasn't a concern, and a diverticulosis pocket (eat more fiber they said). And I have color photos of my colon as a keepsake, oh boy!! Interestingly, I could see what looked like some fat adhering to the colon wall on the side near my appendix. Guess that is not a concern either. Or if it is, I didn't hear about it.

So that's all my news today.
Got some running around to do.
Everyone have a good weekend!!

Last edited by hazelgreen; 06-25-2011 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: more
Old 07-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

well I am back after an 8+ day journey to New York state and not eating properly but I didn't let it get out of control. Definitely was not able to stick to lowcarb while traveling, though I did try to make wise choices. Also I'm sick as a dog now with a chest cold; I partially blame not taking my probiotics and other vitamins while away from home, and I am convinced a LC diet keeps our bodies from succumbing to illness too. I did try to get enough sleep while traveling but it probably wasn't good restful sleep like I get at home. Anyway, as of today I'm back on the bus, had a chicken breast today and not much else since my appetite is gone from being sick. Around the time I left, the scale flirted with 234 but today was back up in the mid 240's. Not really concerned though as I have been releasing a lot of water today too. Traveling ALWAYS makes me retain water, especially in hot weather. Well, that's all for now, just checking in. Must rest some more now. Hope everyone had a good 4th of July. Mine was awesome fun!!
Old 07-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

well I lost 5 lbs of water weight my first day back and was back at 240 yesterday. But still sick, more of a sore throat than a cold now so am thinking of going to a Minute Clinic or urgent care tomorrow to get a throat culture. Didn't weigh today. Still not hungry, been eating egg salad I made with eggs mayo celery and ate a beef patty yesterday. Trying to drink enough fluids but mostly been sleeping a lot which tells me how sick I am. I don't think I have a fever but I'm just really dragged out and have no energy, and dizzy sometimes. Also we're having hot humid weather and I just can't even deal with it. So that's all, just wanted to check in.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:05 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Well I'm finally over the flu I had, guess it wasn't a cold but more of a flu bug. Anyway I'm much better now and in a way it helped me get back on track after vacation by not eating much!! Not a very healthy way to do it, but I'm back at 239 so that's close enough to where I was before traveling.

And I've been staying low-carb here at home, which is just about impossible for me when on a road trip, though I'd brought celery and green pepper in my cooler to snack on, with LC yogurt dip, but that's not really a meal. Jimmy John's unwiches (lettuce wraps) are my best option but they were hard to find. Also I'd brought tuna and cole slaw to eat on the road but wasn't very diligent about staying on track. I even ate McD one day (in a pinch) and that was a good lesson to avoid food like that. Yuck!!

Today I stopped by another sub chain that's local to the midwest I think (Milio's) and was sad to find that their "low-carb option" is a tortilla wrap with something like 30 carbs in it (just the tortilla!!) So I emailed them to voice my opinion of that!! and didn't eat there either.

Also started volunteer dog walking today which will help me too, to get back on track with exercise. We've had some hot humid weather for a few days, but it's pleasant now.

It occurred to me that both times I've been sick this year were right after vacations, which no doubt lowers our resistance to germs in the short term due to just being exposed to "new" germs, but also both times I've traveled for 8-9 days I've gone off track and eaten bread etc. I do sincerely believe that illness can feed off glucose/sugar or whatever. Just another reason that I love LC so much.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:39 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Thinking I will check in here, though not much new to report. We're having a heat wave, like so many others are too, so I haven't been getting my daily walks in. All last week I did a lot of walking though, almost every day, with the rescue dog that I am committed to. One day I walked him for 45 minutes and then also walked with my neighbor that evening for 30 minutes. Felt absolutely great too.

Over the weekend we had a camping trip so I didn't stay strictly lowcarb, but am maintaining just fine. Today I've had cottage cheese and tomatoes, and some almonds. Too hot to cook much. Yesterday and Monday I ate salads with a little bit of cubed beef cooked up as a garnish. Tonight I'll whip up some tuna salad with boiled eggs in it.

Here is an interesting article I just read today Are Chemicals Making Us Fat? | Truthout I firmly believe there is much more to the obesity epidemic than just overeating. Lord knows I have never been a huge overeater, or at least not to the point that my weight should soar like it does if I don't watch it every second of my life. I remember too, in the old copy of Dr Atkins book from the 70's, where he said "if you want to lose weight, go to Europe" because of American food additives. When I was 17 I went to Spain and remember losing several pounds in just one week. Granted we did do a lot of walking but we ate a lot too, so I've never forgotten that.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:22 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

I feel the need to list some of the off-plan foods I ate during the camping trip last weekend, and also during my July 4th trip. This blog has been a good accountability journal for me, and while I don't feel terrible about eating off-plan (at least not lately), I also don't want to hit a bad stretch in the future and beat myself up over any "cheats". I have been somewhat lax lately about keeping a food journal in my ever-present notebook. Day to day lowcarb has just become routine for me at home.

First day of my July 4th trip I got a footlong subway sandwich and ate half for lunch and half for dinner; it was yummy and sloppy. I nibbled on Pringles chips a few times during that week too. They were the reduced fat kind, and the whole grain kind, but still processed food, which I like to avoid.

The second day of that trip I tried to stay on track and ordered the best omelet ever from a little truck stop diner in Ohio. It was huge and stuffed with bacon sausage ham and cheese for $6. Later that day I went to a cheese shop in upstate/western NY (Cuba NY) and ate fresh cheese curds.

Over the July 4th weekend I mostly ate high fiber 100% whole wheat bread with cheese slices (we were on the run a lot). Once I ate a slice of pizza and once I ate a small sub sandwich. The first day of the drive home I ate a McD double! quarter pounder and fries, and felt sick. I really do not like McD at all and it's a good lesson for me to eat it once in a while to remember how bad it is.

At an Indiana travel plaza stop I bought some wonderful chocolate from South Bend Chocolate Company (?) oh my that was some good chocolate. And a rich mocha coffee too. I ended up eating only a few pieces of the chocolate and still have some hidden away, but it's not tempting me much. At the time it was delicious and I didn't buy very much either. But they had white chocolate haystacks!!! ok, enough of that!

Last weekend I had bought 2 deli wraps from a local grocery and ate 4 meals from those (half wrap=meal). One was cashew chicken salad and one was "Mediterranean" with feta cheese, olives, oil, tomato etc. On my drive home I ate Taco John's!! I could've skipped that with a bit of willpower, but gave in and ate a burrito and the little potato things. Since then I've been back on track. Also I have been very careful to stay low-carb with any beverages; I prefer unsweetened iced tea whenever possible.

I only weighed once this week (Monday or Tuesday) and was at 241 I think, but I am pretty sure I am back in the 230's now. I will weigh tomorrow to be sure.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:32 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

This thread jumped out at me today and was just what I needed!! For All You Cheaters and So-called Underachievers Out There

The last week or so I've just been hanging on at 238-239 and was around 235-236 at some points in the past month. Can't seem to stay in ketosis and not sure why, except that I really don't think I've been eating ENOUGH most days when the weather is so hot and humid. And definitely not getting enough exercise in the heat either.

A lot of low carb foods just don't appeal to me lately either. So anyway, after seeing 239 stare me in the face day after day, last night I ate part of a mostly organic bean burrito from the health food deli, and a small piece of BREAD with butter. I just really wanted some carbs, but didn't want to mess up too badly. This morning what does the scale say? 236.5!! Go figure. Ah well, that's why pooticus' thread linked above made me feel much better.

I've been fairly faithful to lowcarb for about 8 months now, with a few vacation breaks, maybe I need to moderate a bit. I don't know, just shake things up? Definitely not planning to go overboard with junk or anything, but the burrito made me think of South Beach diet because of the beans. And late summer fruit might taste kind of yummy? We'll see. I still love cottage cheese and tomato this time of year, cool and refreshing. Getting tired of eggs and tuna though, and am just not crazy about meat most days.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Well, the last week or so has been pretty crazy and I have been off and on LC eating. I've been walking a lot too, probably 8-10 miles a week for exercise, so I'm not too worried about gaining back, but haven't been on the scale in a week. Truthfully, I really feel SO much better physically when I "eat clean" so I don't like going off plan.

Since yesterday I'm having the first TOM I've had in 3 months (yay, menopause!) so that just makes things crazier, and also had pulled a calf muscle last weekend that was very painful. It's better now, but my ankle is a little swollen because I was walking wonky on my sore leg. Been back to the chiropractor 3 times since last week too and that helped me recover. I tried to moderate my walking exercise because of the sore calf, but I have a commitment to walking the "pound puppy" rescue dog that I couldn't back out of. Blah blah blah, I just need to check in here to remind myself to stay on track.

On Wednesday we had a family luncheon to go to and I ate a lot of really carby food that wasn't healthy stuff and as usual, the way I felt afterwards reminded me how much better I feel if I don't eat like that. Next week I'm traveling again and may stray off plan but it'll be an active week too, so I'll hope to break even.

Also the worst part of straying is that hunger comes back!! But I know it's not true hunger, it's just how my body reacts to eating too many carbs. FWIW yesterday I just had a cobb salad for lunch and a small amount of chicken salad for dinner and felt fine. Right now I'm going to scramble a couple of eggs with butter, that always fills me up for HOURS.

Last edited by hazelgreen; 08-12-2011 at 10:24 AM..
Old 08-21-2011, 11:32 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Grrr as usual. Well at least I'm maintaining which is a surprise, given that I've been off track more than on track since early July. But I've also been very active and even when I stray off the low carb path, I'm not going crazy eating everything in sight. I just really really want to lose another 45 lbs (at least), which is how much I've lost since last December and I should be proud, but honestly, I see photos of myself and I think "WHAT!! I still look the same, fat and ugly!!" It's just so discouraging. My mid section just looks so big in pictures, and if I knew spot toning exercises would help, I'd do them religiously. I got a new exercise ball that I haven't blown up yet and I guess that will be my next step. Typically my body shape is so resistant to any change though, but it's worth a try, why not? I am happy that I'm maintaining; I was somewhat afraid to get on the scale today but the news wasn't as bad as I thought, so I'm thankful.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:28 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

well today was back at 236 and I feel lighter too, like maybe I can make some headway if I stay on the LC track. I am at a point where I need to make some mini goals and go for them. 225 by October (whenever)? That's doable. I could say 200 by New Year's too but that might be a stretch unless I really buckle down. It might be time to join a gym for the winter (yes in Minnesota we start thinking of winter as soon as August, sadly) my local community center has a month to month membership so I will check that out. I have some travels planned for Labor Day week and most of October will be hectic too.
But yes it's time to make some goals for the next few months and follow through.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:54 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

well I'm on a roadtrip again (loving retirement!) though today was not the best day ever, the trend lately is GOOD. The scale has been flirting with 232 yet I hesitate to claim it yet, because I fluctuate so much, so I'll wait til next week and see how things go this week. On the road I eat things that I wouldn't eat at home, but I still try to maintain a fairly healthy balance.

Since I got back from the last travel 2 weeks ago I buckled down on eating clean, walked a lot, stayed active and pounds dropped. I'm actually having some good results from adding a few extra carbs back into my diet (30-60 a day instead of induction levels of 20 carbs). I was just so tired of eating protein and fat and green vegs only, like I've done for so long. One of the items I've added in is high fiber whole grain tortillas that must really have fiber because I feel so full after eating a couple. I have them with chicken or eggs or cheese, whatever, as a main meal midday, and then a very light dinner.

So as usual, my travels this week will be very active, but will probably eat a few things that aren't strictly lowcarb. I'm always learning my limits and will persevere. and I was very happy to see results on the scale, and haven't measured lately but some of my clothes are getting unwearable because they are so loose fitting. It's a good feeling!!
Old 09-10-2011, 08:43 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Well I'm claiming 233 now, which is the 50 lb mark for me, yahoo!! Was traveling last week Wednesday to Wednesday, was very active over Labor Day weekend and ate off plan a few times over the course of being on the road before and after the weekend.

But I really think that limiting carbs for the most part has helped retrain my body to process them correctly now. The final leg of my drive home Wednesday (3 days ago) was probably my worst day eating off plan and I felt sick and bloated, so Thursday I got back on the LC train and felt much better.

That is as much reward for me: feeling good, as the weight loss is. I have some more travels planned for October and I'm going to figure out a plan to keep to more healthy eating while traveling. Also I'll be starting back to the walking regimen with the "pound puppy" this week. That walking has been helping a lot too.

Considering that I've lost about 10 lbs over the summer while not always adhering strictly to LC eating, I am not at all displeased with my progress. Not looking forward to winter though My goal for colder weather will be to find more ways to stay active!!
Old 09-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Darn menopausal hormones again, at least explains the depression funk I've had for a few days. Ugh, I feel so much better when the hormones stay away from my life!!! The last week or so my eating habits have been erratic but maintaining weight despite that. Some days are easier than others though, and the hormones don't help at all!! Exercise does help though and the weather looks good for the next week or so. I was blaming depression on the days getting shorter, but apparently it was PMS. ah whatever....
Old 10-16-2011, 03:09 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Just a quick update---I am still here!! Went on a 10 day road trip to Maryland for a wedding and ate fast food, rich food, all kinds of food and sick of it!! Upon returning home had gained 5 lbs but I think 2-3 of those pounds were water weight that is (I hope!) gone now. I feel much less bloated since Friday when I weighed last, but forced myself onto the scale Friday to make myself get back on track. I will weigh tomorrow (Monday) to be sure that at least a couple of the 5 lbs are gone. Also too much sitting lately, need to get active again. I sincerely believe that the pro-biotic that I take helps stave off weight gain--in the past I think I would've gained more easily but lately it has been easier to NOT gain even when I stray. Or maybe my hormones are changing with pre-menopause, I don't know, but I do know I've always been sensitive to hormonal issues, esp regarding weight gain. Anyway, today I've had some lean beef so far and Friday ate eggs and some other "regular" food -- just trying to eat normal wholesome food again. Made some mayo based cole slaw today too. I have not been strictly lowcarb since I got home but just trying to wean off the horrible fast food that I ate on the road. Also I need to drink more water, since summer heat has ended I have not been drinking a ton of water. So there we are. Checking in here makes me feel much better, and accountable. Thanks, journal