LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: palegirl
Stats: 249/144/145 2006:199/136/140 2013:206/165/145
WOE: Atkins Sizes:20W-22M/8/8
Start Date: thanksgiving 2002 Height: 5'7 Age:35
For me maintenance turns out to be just a smaller roller coaster

This is just sort of a general check-in for accountability/overview.

I lost 100 lbs in about a year in 2002-2003. My highest weight was 249, and sticking to Atkins and working out with The Firm I took that down to about 149 for my sister's wedding, and ultimately to 144 a few weeks later. Over the years since then I have gone through several smaller roller coasters, my weight has fluctuated up to just under 200, which seems to be my threshold for "getting serious" and getting back down. I can keep my weight stable in the 170s pretty routinely, but my weight starts climbing when I am in a circumstance where I don't have as much control over what I eat, like when I lived with my sister, or went on a months-long trip.

I'm currently in a "serious" period. A year ago I moved to Seattle at the end of a 7-month long period of traveling (road tripping around the US and 3 weeks in Spain.) My weight was in the 190s and I felt very out of shape (the last 3 months before I got to Seattle I was completely out of my workout routine.) I lost some weight, to around 170, and then stablized around there for a while.

According to BMI, for my height, anything above 159.6 is considered "overweight." This is totally un-useful, inaccurate, and arbitrary because I am a very fit athlete, and other measures show me to be extremely fit (current resting heart rate: 47). But since all scale goals are arbitrary I don't worry about it too much and I set an initial short-term weight loss target of 159, and next Saturday 1/15 as the (generous because I would be traveling for two weeks around the holidays) target date. I met that goal at this morning's weigh in: 158.5

I have been playing roller derby very seriously since 2004. I practice 5-6 times a week for 2-4 hours. I have recently taken up running but I have a tendency to overdo things and running has a high injury rate so I am very deliberately not running too often. I did a 6 week 2x/weekly weight lifting program in November & December and would like to find a way (Y membership?) to continue weight lifting 2x+ weekly.

I have been tracking my meals religiously using ****** (just switched to ********* which I much prefer!) and, for the first time ever, watching calories as well as carbs. I used to be in my early 20s, now I'm in my early 30s, so I wouldn't be surprised for it to be a little bit more challenging to lose weight, but so far so good. Working out all the time is great for fitness, but I find that diet is the real determinant for weight loss.

I have been losing about 2 lbs/weekly at about 35-45 net carbs and 1,500-1,800 calories daily. Staple foods are slow-cooker chicken verde chili, roasted chicken, cottage cheese, muffin-in-a-minute (often with chia seed and blueberries) and similar flax-meal pancakes, quiche or scrambled eggs with veggies, tuna muffins, sausage & cream cheese.

I'm tracking in too many ways right now, I input my weight daily on an ap on my phone, ****** (which I continue to use just because I have been tracking my weight using it for almost a DECADE), *********, in my day planner, my journal, and texting it to my best friend. And I am playing "healthmonth" -- my rules on there are to take vitamins daily, track my food daily, and run 10 miles a week. I'm tracking my workouts using the cardiotrainer ap on my phone (and its website) for daily walking at work (generally between 2 & 6 miles a day)

I've also got a crazy work schedule right now, working 3 different part time jobs which are each 10 hours/wk. My schedule is supposed to be pretty stable but I let everyone know I welcome any opportunities for extra hours, and I do get offered them and always accept, so I am tethered to my planner. I am trying out a new hiking club tomorrow, I keep trying to get to my friend's rad book club but it never works out, I met someone from a dating site (but just platonicly) this morning for coffee, and my season is starting next Saturday! So, games all the time!

I feel like I kind of have too many "personal development" goals right now, which is kind of why I am making this post. Food! Fitness (divided into: skating, running, hiking, and gotta join a gym to add weight lifting)! Working like crazy! Trying to meet new people! New budgeting system! Reading like crazy! Oh, and an active social calendar! It's like, improve, improve, improve! So I recognize *that* and I also take some time for buddhist reflection, living in the now, self-acceptance. I recently read "There is Nothing Wrong With You" by Cheri Huber (and I highly recommend it!)

It's good though. I like to be busy. I am the tidy one in my apartment, so I clean a lot too. My writing partner and I are starting work on a book together.

I just am so glad that I am not in a relationship. There is no room in my life for dating.
8/13-3/14 206/164.5/145?

I'm losing weight sloooooowly now.
palegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: EveH
Stats: 165/122/130----5'4"
WOE: Atkins..skipped induction
Start Date: Oct 2010
Thanks for posting this. It is always good to read success stories. You seem to have found what works for you and your lifestyle. Being happy with who we are is, I think anyway, what it's all about.
EveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

I went out drinking last night. Drank FourLoko which I'm pretty sure is loaded with sugar. Also had two (+?) beers and a bunch of shots. Had a late night snack of... salad! good girl! This is kind of a milestone because my downfall is when I get wasted I eat carbs. And I was wasted. However, I made out with a bunch of people and probably shouldn't have done that. But thanks, drunk me, for at least not eating carbs! (aside from what was in the actual booze itself.)

That FourLoko ought to be banned! Oh, it is? Good. I have two cans left, and I'm going to give them to Cora & Jessie. And I'm never drinking that **** again. Every time I have, I've had regrets the next day. Resolved: no more FourLoko!
Old 01-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

I went hiking today with a hiking club I'm trying out. I think I will join another of the hikes soon. My was head was pounding (FourLoko hangover!) but I dragged myself out of bed, ate a little bit, and hit the road only a little behind schedule, and made it there on time. On the drive out to the trailhead I chatted with my best friend on the phone. It was like confession about my wicked ways last night! ha ha ha And we talked a bit about wedding planning (hers).

The hike was nice, I mapped it on my cardiotrainer and it was 10.25 miles total and not ever terribly steep. It snowed lightly most of the time and the day was just perfect. The other people on the hike, aside from the trip leader, were divorced women in their forties+. We got along pretty well, I think. We were all pretty fit except for one woman and I encouraged her, which she appreciated. I definitely had major sympathy for her, she was huffing and puffing. Being the least fit person on a hike feels crummy.

I took along my current favorite low carb food, flax-chia-blueberry pancakes, and a bottle of water. I didn't wear a backpack. The hike took 3 1/2 hours. It was nice.

Last edited by palegirl; 01-09-2011 at 07:23 PM..
Old 01-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

I signed up to try dragon boat racing next Sunday, on the recommendation of a woman I met hiking today.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:33 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Hey Rebekah!!! Beautiful pictures!!! You are just major adventure-girl right now .. that is very very cool!! and I am totally jealous!

Pauline
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:51 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bekki1
Stats: 172.1/156.2/150
WOE: HCG
Start Date: 4/9/12
Where did you go hiking? You are such a busy girl! I cant believe 3 part time jobs, plus all the extra fun things you do and then writting a book on top of it. I bet you are stoked for saturday, I am and I am not in the bout, just watching. I will have to cheer you on although usually I cheer on another team, hey I can have 2 right? What is dragon boat racing?
I have not had the flax-chia-blueberry pancakes, care to share the recipe?
bekki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

I hereby throw today out the window. I didn't eat a bunch of carbs but I, oh I do not have the energy to tell the story right now, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be an instant classic. Also I'm debating if I should post it here, publicly, considering that I am extremely identifiable on LCF and this is something that so far I have only told my two best friends I was considering not sharing it beyond them.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:42 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Not fair to keep us waiting? I hope your day was rockin' either way.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:26 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

I just got my season tickets in the mail for RCRG. When we first started going we cheered on the wenches, its where we sat. I will cheer you on too Saturday, I am so excited!! I guess I will have to rethink my attire!
Old 01-16-2011, 08:57 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

(The first photo is me in my new uniform last night. For comparison, the second photo was from March 7, 2010, I'm on the left.)

Well this week has been insanely busy. Which is pretty much how I like it. Friday was a bit too much, and it ended with kind of a breakdown with my 4 roommates stepping up and being really great and supportive, and I confessed to them the stuff I had been keeping secret from them. The bout yesterday was great. We had about 6,000 fans in attendance. My team lost both of our mini-bouts but we played more strongly than anyone expected, and had awesome teamwork--lots to be proud of. Our new uniforms came just in the nick of time, the tops came Friday and the shorts came on bout day itself! Good thing they fit well! The shorts fit a little bit strangely, I pinned mine to my tights in the back to keep them from gapping, I will have to wait for photos to come out to know if that was at all effective, but whatever!

I am very proud of how I played, both my skills and blocks and my leadership on and off the track. I am very proud of my teammates who kept super cool until both games were over. I played a LOT. I anchored the front of the pack. I played every other jam through the entire game. I could have played even more

In terms of eating, I made good choices I'm proud of. I had two coffees, two BLTs with avocado on Sara Lee light bread (oh YUM!) before the game, and after the game I kept my drinking to two beers (I had set a 3 beer limit for myself and told a bunch of people to keep myself accountable!) and had a hot dog (no bun) at the afterparty. And a shrimp at the after-after party with KK, Handers & LWS. I haven't gotten out of bed yet, I wonder what my weight will be! I was 160.5 yesterday morning which I am not thrilled with. For some reason I cannot explain my weight has bounced up this week. Grr. I didn't eat off plan, but I did exercise slightly less (babying my tendonitis ankle) and ate slightly larger quantities. Food journaling has been tough this week, I have failed at it most days, but still my choices haven't been out of hand...

Last edited by palegirl; 01-16-2011 at 09:05 AM..
Old 01-16-2011, 09:03 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekki1 View Post
I just got my season tickets in the mail for RCRG. When we first started going we cheered on the wenches, its where we sat. I will cheer you on too Saturday, I am so excited!! I guess I will have to rethink my attire!
Bekki, how did you like the game?! I wish you had introduced yourself to me! FitSkate tomorrow?

We didn't get to see the marching band but I heard it was awesome!
Old 01-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

The game was AAAAMMMAAAZZZIIINNGG!!!!!! I had so much fun, despite waitin in the rain, but hey we live in washington. I sat 2nd row from the floor, we were maybe 10th in line!!!! Great seats. I saw you and thought about it but thought you might think it was weird. You were icing you ankle right by me, next bout I will. I wore a blue, white and orange tutu I made. (Sorry I am a wench at heart) But I still rooted for you. We went to Hula hula after but didnt see you there and it was so damn crowded. Did you have fun?

Last edited by bekki1; 01-16-2011 at 11:51 AM..
Old 01-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Icing the ankle... that's me performing excellent injury self-care! Give me a high five, gold star, and pat on the back! That's the tendonitis. BOOOOOOO! Hurts. Can't run anymore. Need to join a gym and swim... read on

I live right in the neighborhood so I am psyched to be able to walk to the Key on bout days with my equipment but, yeah, bummer about the rain yesterday. So I feel ya. I also walked my equipment home after the bout and then back out to Hula Hula. And got rain rain rained on. So if you went straight there, I probably got there way after you, I did some breakdown at the Key before I left, too. And some locker room shenanigans

And I don't have to tell you where I was at 9:45 this morning... back at the Rats Nest, our practice space, unloading the truck and then 2 hours of team practice. And from THERE to the gym where I didn't work out but took a tour and walked away with a 1 week free pass. Rah rah. And I'm just home for a hot minute to eat a BLT (life is grand!) and then going out to try dragon boating!

So a woman from the hiking club I went out with last week recommended the dragon boating to me, and another woman who is in the hiking club but I hadn't yet met, is a huge RCRG fan, so I met her at the game last night and she and her friends cheered for me, and that was awesome. I went over and checked in with them several times. It's really nice to just have someone in the crowd to wave to. Next bout I'll be waving to you too, Bekki! OH! Maybe the highlight of my night was that one of my babysitting families showed up! They are so, so sweet, I really adore them. Two boys ages maybe 8 & 10? The older one came running up to me when I was standing on the sidelines sometime in the beginning, and I was SO HAPPY and surprised that they were there! I waved to them a bunch of times too. And then the 3rd group of folks I was waving to were my teammate, Annie Warhead's (out on injury, boo) family. She has a husband and two "tween"aged kids whom I adore. The girl just joined Derby Brats and I just started coaching the brats, so that's really cool. Every couple of weeks, on Sunday night, I go over to their house for dinner and then we all go rollerskating at a rink together. It is so nice. My family lives on the east coast. So my team, my roommates and the families I work for are my family here.

Oh dude. Let me tell you about my favorite thing that happened this whole week. I was at derby brats Friday night, and there are two groups, 8-12 years old and 12-18 years old. I did 45 minutes with each group. So I was skating with the little ones, the Tootsie Rollers, and this kid skated up to me and she goes "hi." and I go "hi." and she goes "hi." and I go "hi." and she goes "you're cool." and my heart did a backflip but I played it cool and said "you're cool." and then I skated away. Oh yeah. That was a great feeling! I have been waiting my whole life for that sort of validation!

I live with a buncha skaters you saw last night.

xoxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekki1 View Post
The game was AAAAMMMAAAZZZIIINNGG!!!!!! I had so much fun, despite waitin in the rain, but hey we live in washington. I sat 2nd row from the floor, we were maybe 10th in line!!!! Great seats. I saw you and thought about it but thought you might think it was weird. You were icing you ankle right by me, next bout I will. I wore a blue, white and orange tutu I made. (Sorry I am a wench at heart) But I still rooted for you. We went to Hula hula after but didnt see you there and it was so damn crowded. Did you have fun?
Old 01-19-2011, 07:50 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

I have been insanely busy this week because I picked up a one week trial membership to a gym near our practice space and have been filling every unscheduled moment with workouts. Monday I did swimming and spin class, Tuesday I did elliptical and lap swim, Today I will go to a spin class between my early job and my midday job. The tough part is figuring out unrefrigerated foods I can carry with me

Photos from the bout look awesome. I can't wait for footage!

I am not sure whether I need to be losing weight. I am more fitness focused currently. I like doing 2+ workouts daily, it makes me feel powerful, which is really the point.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:24 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

This is definitely a week filled with extra (and difficult) workouts.

I hope it becomes my new normal. Fitness focus.

I have been eating good low carb choices, but not restricting calories, and my weight is creeping up. That is frustrating. 162 this morning.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:26 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

The NYT Chicken Adobo recipe from a few weeks ago is truly outstanding.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by palegirl View Post
The NYT Chicken Adobo recipe from a few weeks ago is truly outstanding.
Recipe please.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:32 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Bekki, these are the links to the Chicken Adobo recipe. I have made it several times and have a batch marinating right now.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/ma...ood-t-000.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/ma...ood-t-001.html

I am insanely busy. weigh in this morning: 158. My weight loss has slowed considerably. I think that's okay. This week I don't have a gym pass nor have I time to get to the gym. I have been reading a LOT, really meaningful teachings by Cheri Huber, Pema Chodron and Thich Nhat Hanh. Because of the nature of my work I am very busy but also often have downtime for reading.

I'm probably going to go to a poetry slam tonight but I would also like to watch the State of The Union Address. I live on the west coast, so I have to figure out the timing of the SoTU, I can likely do both.

I've been eating well but still struggling with figuring out meals that I can pre-plan and take with me on the go, especially things that can be unrefrigerated and eaten without utensils. Most days of the week I work two different jobs and have a workout of some sort, so I'm running around a lot.

There is definitely a balancing act or I should probably say a constant need to compromise between getting workouts in and working more. I also have to consider satisfying requirements for roller derby in addition to practicing.

I'm doing a pretty good job of staying on top of my food choices and making choices I am pleased with. I'm doing an okay job with my budgeting/allowance system. I'm not sure this week if I'm going to get in as many workouts as I would like. None at all today, but that's okay. I'm staying very organized and keeping very busy. I have some social outreach, lets say, going on, that I think is a positive. I'm taking care of myself emotionally.

Work situations are GOOD. On Monday my early AM job picked up a few extra hours and they made a statement which made me feel very successful and secure. My Monday mid-day job also made a statement that made me feel very successful and secure, and they picked me up for an extra shift next week, which is good. Today I'm going on a trial day with a new job which is promising. I'm going into it with an open mind. I do need to get moving now though. It's a later start time, which is nice. And my end-of-the-week gig is totally secure. That job is rich with intangible rewards, I am working for an old friend. I'm feeling so rewarded and secure that I keep feeling I should raise my rates. Cool it, Rebekah!

xoxo
Old 01-29-2011, 11:56 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

My weight seems pretty stable right around 159. I don't mind if it happens at a slow pace but I would like it to continue to decrease and get down to around 149 or 139. I'm not sure though what changes to make to my diet.

Evening hunger/snacking has been an issue this week, it provokes bingey feelings. I crave sweet, snackey things. I satisfy it with cashews with butter and splenda or toast and jam (LC) maybe instead I should take a 5-HTP the next time this comes up.

This week I drank beer on Tuesday and Friday.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Whoops, I gained 12ish pounds, up to about 171, by compulsively eating peanut butter late at night. I cut that out and am back on plan, re-losing that weight. I am at 168 as of yesterday.

I played in another bout this past Saturday, had an excellent performance, maybe the best I have ever played. I got a ton of validating feedback from people I respect. There's a lot for me to feel good about.

Working a ton, one of my jobs doubled my hours. So that's really great news, but I am still adjusting to the new schedule, it's been hard on me this week.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

I have managed to develop an intolerance to gluten, which is infuriating because the only gluten in my life is beer. I bought some gluten free beer to try and see if it gives me gas. What next?!
Old 04-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #23
ctx
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ctx
WOE: restarting Atkins
Start Date: March 23, 2011 this time
Take gas-X before you enjoy your beer.
If you drink with company they'll love you for it!
ctx is offline   Reply With Quote