Old 12-28-2010, 06:02 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BWYA
Stats: started 1 Jan 11: 272.6/243.0/140
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: 1 January 2011
I Can Do All Things

Intro:

I decided to jump in here and start a journal/record because I am afraid that if I don't "get out there" it will be easy for me to just opt out and make excuses because I don't "have support" (which would be my own fault, of course, but still.... I need to take a proactive approach!)

I chose “I Can Do All Things” for the name of this journal because one of my favorite chapters in the Bible is Philippians chapter 4. The whole thing. This journey is not simply physical or mental or emotional. It is primarily spiritual ~ but that means I have to WORK it out (in fear and trembling!) and address the physical, mental and emotional.

I am a Catholic homeschooling mom of 6:

I have 3 sons and 3 daughters. My sons are 25 year old, 23 years old and (in a couple of weeks) 5 years old.

My daughters are 17 years old, 14 years old and 12 years old.

My oldest is married to a lovely girl and they have a daughter. Ooooh! She's so cute and so sweet and I wish she lived closer! He is an active duty soldier, stationed here in the US, but far from home. My second oldest is also an active duty soldier, stationed at the same place as my oldest. They have the same Army specialty ~ which is also the same one their dad had/has. Three of my kids are homeschool grads. (this is my 18th year of homeschooling! crazy!)

I’ve been married for 26 years. My husband served in the Army for 20 years and continues to “serve those who serve” in his “second career.” He is a retired Warrant Officer (not a pilot), so I will likely refer to him as "Chief".

As I mentioned, I see this is primarily a spiritual battle that I am undertaking. Because this is true, there will be references to my faith here. If that bothers you, feel free to not read. I will focus on the tools and the progress, (food choices, carb counts, exercise, losses, gains, struggles, successes) but it will remain in context for me.

For today:

I am still not quite on the wagon. My second born is home for leave right now and we are having a “favorites fest” for him. He requested all of his favorites. He misses momma’s cooking! (the DFAC isn’t doing him any favors, I guess.)

But I am disgusted by where I am and how I feel and I don’t know if I’ll make it even 3 more days the way things are. (I did let my son know that 1 January is my personal cut off and the worst of the dishes he requests must be done by then!) My first 'big goal' is to lose 100 lbs by the end of 2011. I will be setting some smaller goals soon.

I absolutely welcome your comments, support, suggestions, etc.

Here is a picture of me from Christmas Eve 2010. I put it here so I can look back when I feel discouraged and remember where I was when I started.

BWYA is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: monet0329
Stats: to much!
WOE: lower carb :D
Start Date: Feb 28 2013.. (lc) down 61.5 pounds :)

I wanted to wish you the very best,.. you can do this !!.. and yes.. With GOD all things are possible!!!
monet0329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Monet! I appreciate the encouragement.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWYA View Post
Thanks, Monet! I appreciate the encouragement.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:59 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Today is my big shopping day. I have to make menus for myself and the family. In the past while doing low carb, I found that cooking "2 meals" wasn't all that bad if I planned well. The others eat meat, they eat veggies, they eat salads. Sometimes they want things that are truly off plan and I do my best to accommodate them. They shouldn't feel "punished" because I need to eat differently!

My girls (12, 14, and 17) have hijacked my scale, so I need to get that back down here. The stats I have on my profile are based on the scale at the ob/gyn clinic when I went for a follow up appt for my recent miscarriage (just making sure hormone levels dropped appropriately. they have.) My scale may say differently, so I will adapt the numbers to reflect my scale since that is the one I will be using.

With the year waning away, I am feeling anxious to get started! I am so ready to make some changes. My body has been telling me it's ready. I have been craving fried eggs and bacon and the Christmas goodies and treats have NOT been calling my name as they normally do.

I'm also planning out how to keep busy while breaking the mental habit of just grabbing something when I finally feel hungry ~ something fast and easy (you know what that means!) For the first few days, I have a sweater to work on. I'm knitting a Christmas sweater for my second son (no, it's not late. Christmas is from Christmas to Epiphany! You know, the whole 12 days of Christmas?!) I need to finish that by Sunday, so the first two days on plan will be filled nicely. After that, I will knit a "Fiona Hat" for my granddaughter and after that....

Well, I'll figure something out, but it needs to include getting things in order around my house! Order is so important to me for this sort of thing. Order is really key. I need to have order in my environment, order in my eating. I'm NOT the person who is naturally tidy and organized, but it is so important. Chaos is not my friend. Not in eating, not in home, not in my knitting or anything else!

I've been thinking about this: This is not the time for "ME"! You see, that "me"? She's lazy. She's hedonistic. She is looking for the easy, for the next pleasure, for rest, and all of the things that got me here in the first place. Well, that's not quite true, I should say all of the things that have kept me here. I've known it is true that I must live low carb for a long, long time. I've allowed my weight to get ridiculous and put my health in jeopardy all for the instant gratification that ME desired. NO MORE "ME".

He must increase; I must decrease.

John 3:30

No more of that "me" nonsense for myself. I've had enough of me. I've got way too much of me. Me is untrustworthy and self-centered. Me is being put in her proper place.

It's time to do things because I ought. Because I am obligated to love and care for this body and my life. Because my own desires and whims in this fallen nature are not to be my guide, but are to be tamed and disciplined into the truth!

(don't misunderstand. i'm am not talking about "low self-esteem" or not valuing the self.)

Yes, it's time to get way beyond "me".

God bless you, God love you, God grant you peace!

Last edited by BWYA; 12-29-2010 at 05:01 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 12-29-2010, 06:31 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

menu plan 1 - 11 January 2011

Here is my menu plan for 1 - 11 January:

BWYA's MENU PLAN

I based it on what I remember working for me in the past. I tried to keep it simple. I don't want to cook with pork rinds, ya know? (no offense to pork rind lovers... I am a Texan, but a northerner by birth and upbringing and that is just something we didn't eat!)

As the pdf says, all things subject to tweaking whether it be due to taste, effectiveness, or circumstance.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:28 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

272.6/Day 1 on plan

This is it! This is my day, my year. I have arrived at 2011 ready to do this.

I feel like we closed out 2010 well. We buried the remains of our miscarried baby yesterday and we had friends over last night (only 'til about 9pm) for my homemade pizza and good times. It's always a blast when they come over! With our second born home there were 10 children and 5 adults in the house. IT WAS GREAT! That's my kind of chaos.

I am so looking forward to seeing the scale move down, down, down. I love seeing the initial water weight just disappear. I've had people say to me, "yeah, you lost 10 lbs this week, but it was "only" water." I reply, "SO WHAT?!?! Do I really need to carry 10 lbs of water around? That's over a gallon of water!!"

I am bracing myself for the "induction flu" and for the eagerness to wear off a bit when I am eating eggs again or when I see my kids eating white rice smothered in gravy. I am not going to allow myself to get into the deprived mindset, but I know it will take some practice to get there. I am committed. I'm going to push through. I have warned my family.

I mentioned the other day that I have plans for combatting the habit part of eating. I have a sweater I'm working on for my son and I have some Ogre/Fiona hats planned. I know that keeping busy so as not to graze out of habit will be most helpful. The foods I am eating should keep me actually satisfied, but my brain will be used to reaching for something more frequently, so it's me, Harry Potter and sticks and string. I love to have an excuse for a few days to sit on my butt and knit and listen to audiobooks! I'll also be coming here to stave off temptation to give up if it comes and to be re-inspired by all of the tremendous success stories and by all of the committed folks here on LCF.

And I'll be praying. A lot. My prayer is for the grace to do what I ought and not what my whims dictate. I'll be praying for myself, but also for all of you here.

I think I probably need a new scale. The problem is that I have no idea what to buy. Who makes a good scale? What do I need to look for? How much should I expect to pay for a good one for home use? I tried to search the forums, but "scale" comes up so often, I didn't find any reviews or recommendations and gave up trying.

On a totally unrelated note, my dh installed one of my Christmas presents yesterday... He gave me a 1TB hard drive. It is SO AWESOME to see that I have 700gb available! No more moving videos of my girls in theater productions to an external drive! No more feeling like I need to be cautious about photos (I have almost 30,000 photos in my iphoto, hundreds in folders and thousands that are burned to discs and/or stored on external drives... what a pain! No, I do not exaggerate!

)

I'll be making breakfast soon. (B)Fried eggs and sausage patties really sound yummy. The rest of my plan for today is:

(L)Protein shake w/extra protein and HWC and for dinner, (D) Roasted chicken with broccoli.

I have cheese and sliced turkey and ham if I really need something in between.

I think I'll take a page from Reva72's journal and try to remember to close out my posts with some "stats":

1 Jan 11 - 272.6
2 Jan 11 -
3 Jan 11 -
4 Jan 11 -
5 Jan 11 -
6 Jan 11 -
7 Jan 11 -

(yeah, I weigh daily when I low carb. It's usually VERY encouraging!)

God bless you, God love you, God grant you peace.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

YAY!

Today is my first day on plan and I made it! It was a great low carb day and I'm so pleased.

I ate mostly according to my menu. I just dropped the veggie at dinner. I really didn't want broccoli and thought I'd eat salad, but by the time i finished my chicken, I was just done eating. I figure I had about 10 carbs today. I didn't plan it. I didn't set out to eat that few, but I did and it was great.

Surprisingly, I've already seen ketostix turn darker (about "moderate".) Maybe a fluke, but I'll check again tomorrow and see.

I am waiting for the "carb flu" to hit. Maybe I'll get it sooner rather than later and get it over with. blech.

Last edited by BWYA; 01-01-2011 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: to finish what I wanted to say! ;)
Old 01-01-2011, 07:38 PM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: tempted_by_food
Stats: 233/164/140
WOE: HHCG Rogue Style....
Start Date: restart: 7/13/2009
Hi I am just popping in to show you some support, 100lbs by the end of the year is totally doable we have a daily weigher thread on the challenge board with great support from the ladies there you should join, it will keep you motivated
tempted_by_food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:45 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

270.2/Day 2 On Plan

The water weight is quickly leaving! YAY!

Our visiting soldier son is returning to his post tomorrow. He is into bodybuilding, so we made a video of him showing me various weight training exercises I can do in the comfort of my own garage. We have a bowflex, hand weights, exersize ball and treadmill. He gave me a few exercises for each area of the body that I plan to incorporate into my routine in the near future. I am going to get through the induction flu and get my brain around this woe again before I throw yet another thing into the mix. That's why we did the video, so I have it when I am ready in a week or two.

Happy Sunday!
1 Jan 11 - 272.6
2 Jan 11 - 270.2
3 Jan 11 -
4 Jan 11 -
5 Jan 11 -
6 Jan 11 -
7 Jan 11 -
-2.4 lbs
Old 01-02-2011, 04:47 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted_by_food View Post
Hi I am just popping in to show you some support, 100lbs by the end of the year is totally doable we have a daily weigher thread on the challenge board with great support from the ladies there you should join, it will keep you motivated

Thanks for the invite and the support! I'll check out the thread. Great to know I'm not the only who "needs" to weigh in daily!
Old 01-02-2011, 07:56 AM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Great loss for you what a great son you have making you a video to help you add exercise, it is great you have the equipment at home it should make things alot easier for you, your right to ease in take it slowly
Old 01-02-2011, 08:13 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MagieDen
Stats: 245/Less/Even Less :)
WOE: LC
Start Date: Everyday!
Quote:
The water weight is quickly leaving! YAY!

Our visiting soldier son is returning to his post tomorrow. He is into bodybuilding, so we made a video of him showing me various weight training exercises I can do in the comfort of my own garage. We have a bowflex, hand weights, exersize ball and treadmill. He gave me a few exercises for each area of the body that I plan to incorporate into my routine in the near future. I am going to get through the induction flu and get my brain around this woe again before I throw yet another thing into the mix. That's why we did the video, so I have it when I am ready in a week or two.

Happy Sunday!
1 Jan 11 - 272.6
2 Jan 11 - 270.2
3 Jan 11 -
4 Jan 11 -
5 Jan 11 -
6 Jan 11 -
7 Jan 11 -
-2.4 lbs
that you are journaling and that you are addressing the spiritual aspect to your weightloss. With God ALL things are possible.
MagieDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Indeed! ALL things! God has kind of grabbed my be the scruff of my neck and is showing me all kinds of things He wants to do with me. I'm game! Scared, but willing!
Old 01-02-2011, 11:33 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Indeed! ALL things! God has kind of grabbed my be the scruff of my neck and is showing me all kinds of things He wants to do with me. I'm game! Scared, but willing!
I do believe many that have been used of God felt the same way so I guess you could say you are in good company.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:38 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAgieDen View Post
I do believe many that have been used of God felt the same way so I guess you could say you are in good company.
yes, yes, but i still feel like the ugly, unwanted red-headed step-child! much better company than i would have ever guessed i might keep
Old 01-02-2011, 11:41 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
yes, yes, but i still feel like the ugly, unwanted red-headed step-child! much better company than i would have ever guessed i might keep
To funny!
Old 01-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Have a great journey with your eating plan!!!
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:36 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Redeemed!
Old 01-02-2011, 12:45 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

waiting...

I'm waiting for the Packers game to start.

I realized this morning that I have got to have a different plan for Sunday mornings. I cannot eat too soon after I wake up, so making breakfast before going to Mass is not easy to manage. I ended up having a shake, but not the way I normally make it. I ended up hungry within 90 minutes when I normally can go 5 - 7 hours just like it was a regular meal. After Mass and running to the store I made a burger patty with cheese and a small bit of onions after getting the food put up. It will do, but it all feels wrong.

I'll have to make sure I have the time to make my shakes properly on Sunday mornings and swap my breakfast for lunch.

Brisket for dinner tonight. Smells good. Yum.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:13 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Day 3/-1.8/268.4

Another loss to post. w00t! This morning I was down another 1.8 lbs!

My son is headed back to his duty station this morning. Chief (dh) is going back to normal hours at work. The only "up" side to that is that the rest of the kids and I can get into our normal routine again. We take a very long break for Christmas, so by this time, I'm quite ready to get back to normal!

Along with losing weight, I'm working on losing clutter and chaos around the house by purging our environment of things and ordering my time better. May as well be a whole new me in all ways, eh?

Yesterday's menu was: coffee w/hwc, protein shake (w/out extra protein) cheeseburger patty w/a bit of onion and tomato, brisket and broccoli. My approximate carb intake was about 13 grams.

Today, the plan is:
2 cups coffee w/hwc,
(B) eggs/sausage,
(L)protein shake w/extra protein and hwc, and
(D) leftover brisket and/or roast with green salad
Yesterday, I got into the "moderate" range on a ketostick, so I think it's for real that I'm getting into my groove quickly! Yippee!!
1 Jan 11 - 272.6
2 Jan 11 - 270.2 [-2.4]
3 Jan 11 - 268.4 [-1.8]
4 Jan 11 -
5 Jan 11 -
6 Jan 11 -
7 Jan 11 -
-4.2 lbs

Packers are going to the Playoffs! YEAH!

Last edited by BWYA; 01-03-2011 at 05:17 AM.. Reason: because I *always* forget something!
Old 01-03-2011, 06:26 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You are doing FANTASTIC keep it up!
Old 01-03-2011, 06:43 AM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

Your going down, down, down
Old 01-03-2011, 06:44 AM   #24
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Livywilltim-mom
Stats: 208/Jan 14/183/110
Start Date: February 9, 2014
Wow, you are doing great!

I am happy to find your journal here. I am back after a time away.

I, too, am a Catholic wife and Mom, but I don't homeschool. We send our 3 children to Catholic school, and I am the admissions coordinator for the school my boys attend. It's a great job and I am blessed to be able to work in a Catholic environment.

My oldest goes to an all-girls Catholic high school, she graduated from the same school that her brothers go to.

I am starting my LC journey again. In 2007 I lost 35 pounds and felt great. It slowly crept back up. In March of 2010 my Mom suddenly died and my eating seemed like the least of my problems.

I am praying for the strength to get 90 extra pounds off in 2011.

I will pray for you and your journey

Peace

Peace Mimi, we miss you
Livywilltim-mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:11 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livywilltim-mom View Post
Wow, you are doing great!

I am happy to find your journal here. I am back after a time away.

I, too, am a Catholic wife and Mom, but I don't homeschool. We send our 3 children to Catholic school, and I am the admissions coordinator for the school my boys attend. It's a great job and I am blessed to be able to work in a Catholic environment.

My oldest goes to an all-girls Catholic high school, she graduated from the same school that her brothers go to.

I am starting my LC journey again. In 2007 I lost 35 pounds and felt great. It slowly crept back up. In March of 2010 my Mom suddenly died and my eating seemed like the least of my problems.

I am praying for the strength to get 90 extra pounds off in 2011.

I will pray for you and your journey

Peace
Thanks! It always feels so great in the beginning, doesn't it?

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. That must have been a very difficult time. I will remember you and her at my next Mass. I will also keep your efforts in my prayers.

Catholic education is Catholic education, eh? I'm glad you have a great school for your kids. We have a couple of decent enough schools nearby, but they aren't THAT near and the cost is prohibitive. Unfortunately, to date, we're in that grey area where we can't afford it on our own, but also don't qualify for scholarships. We always keep our options "open", so they may attend one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted_by_food
your going down, down, down
Thanks, Tempted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie
You are doing FANTASTIC keep it up!
Thanks, Maggie!

_________
It's so great to have people to celebrate with ~ even if it's "only" about 3.6% of my ultimate goal! Really, that's not a negative statement. I really do appreciate others being happy for my 4.2 lb loss, even though there's so much more to go. It's the little victories that add up to the big one!

Last edited by BWYA; 01-03-2011 at 07:13 AM..
Old 01-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

yeah!

I get why the admins do this, don't misunderstand that, but I really wish that I could just edit my posts whenever instead of having to post another.

Please, bear with me while I'm overly excited on Day 3...

YIPPEE!

I'm really encouraged and just have to get it outside of myself. If I don't, I don't know how I'll get anything done today!
Old 01-04-2011, 04:23 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Day 4/-1.2/267.2

I don't think I'm drinking enough. I tried to do only water (apart from my coffee, of course) and I just didn't drink very much. I think I'm going to go ahead and drink my diet soda along with water. I think I'd feel better if I drank more. Maybe dropping it all it once was not the best idea. Besides, my body DOES know how to get the water out of all fluids.
1 Jan 11 - 272.6 [start]
2 Jan 11 - 270.2 [-2.4]
3 Jan 11 - 268.4 [-1.8]
4 Jan 11 - 267.2 [-1.2]
5 Jan 11 -
6 Jan 11 -
7 Jan 11 -
-5.4 lbs
Old 01-04-2011, 05:30 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I don't think I'm drinking enough. I tried to do only water (apart from my coffee, of course) and I just didn't drink very much. I think I'm going to go ahead and drink my diet soda along with water. I think I'd feel better if I drank more. Maybe dropping it all it once was not the best idea. Besides, my body DOES know how to get the water out of all fluids.
1 Jan 11 - 272.6 [start]
2 Jan 11 - 270.2 [-2.4]
3 Jan 11 - 268.4 [-1.8]
4 Jan 11 - 267.2 [-1.2]
5 Jan 11 -
6 Jan 11 -
7 Jan 11 -
-5.4 lbs
You're working it!
Old 01-04-2011, 06:46 AM   #29

Quote:
1 Jan 11 - 272.6 [start]
2 Jan 11 - 270.2 [-2.4]
3 Jan 11 - 268.4 [-1.8]
4 Jan 11 - 267.2 [-1.2]
5 Jan 11 -
6 Jan 11 -
7 Jan 11 -
-5.4 lbs
awesome job!!!
Old 01-04-2011, 06:51 AM   #30
Big Yapper!!!!

If the soda doesnt cause you problems I say go for it, I drink a few a day and it doesnt affect my losses. on the stellar losses!!!