Something...low carb? GAHHHHHH!!!
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #1922
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/IDK/140
WOE: Currently JUDDD
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
I think, at least for this moment...the low carb is sticking. I'm starting to feel stronger in my resolve, better in my choices. I won't talk about the scale, it is not my friend, yet. Maybe in a couple of weeks. For now, dissing bread and fruit and starchy food and sugar. Everything else will come into play.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #1923
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Still in the planning stages of LC/Paleo. Mark Sisson says 50-100 carbs a day is good for effortless weight loss. I'm thinking 50-ish for an easier fit. I still want lots of veggies and I'm still giving up grains, breads, sugars etc. Right now I'm staying under 30 (for the last few days) to get myself under control and not starving. I don't necessarily want to be in ketosis/lipolysis. I'll take it if I get it but I really want to keep my level of carbs to the veggies I eat and that can vary on any given day. I also want to limit my dairy to 1 to 2 ounces of cheese a day. Haven't decided whether or not to give up non-dairy creamer and go with half n half for my coffee. Nuts will have to be limited because I over-eat them.

It's so strange, I've been down this road so many times....
Here we go again....
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Old 05-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #1924
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Sounds like you've figured out a plan for now.. Yay! As much as I would like to say that I can sustain a lc lifestyle forever...I just don't know. So kudos to you for making that committment for now.
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #1925
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I know D~ it's so weird. But I was thinking about what happens when I allow myself to eat so called 'forbidden foods' in the name of having a life that includes my favorite foods. It's like smoking. All or nothing. I can't smoke today and not smoke tomorrow. No matter how rational I try to be I always end up over doing it. I escalate until all I eat are the forbidden foods. I start buying stuff I don't even like...like rice cakes. I start using condiments that are sugar based because, after-all, they're fat free. I eat three times as much as I should trying to satisfy something that I can't recognize...and still go looking for more. I get all caught up in carbs, I can't get full or stay full. That being said, my hope is to control my appetite, eat more healthily, beat the bloat, stay off the wheat and lose some poundage. I can learn to make low carb treats for special occasions and low carb bread for when I must have it. We'll see, right?
Old 05-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #1926
Blabbermouth!!!

I hear ya, I really really do. I guess for me I don't really find relief more with any given sort of plan and I think that's where my frustration builds..In the beginning of starting anything new, yep, I feel *something* but it inevitably goes right back to being "normal".. whether it's lc or juddd, or whatever... they're all the same anymore so I guess I'm picking what I feel like I can sustain long-term and what actually led me to nearly to goal the first time (only time!)...and I'd like to think that I'm going to be able to go about it alot smarter than when I did it blindly the first time. Any way we can get there, that's what it's about.

I'm also adding:
It's amazing just how different we all really are! I smoked for many many years and I quit the moment I found out I was preggers. I actually "tried" going back to it after my son was born and it just didn't appeal to me anymore.. and the same can be said for people and their feelings about foods and the choices they make, I guess? Now...I totally wish that chocolate didn't appeal to me anymore!

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell

Last edited by DesertGurl; 05-24-2013 at 12:26 PM..
Old 05-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #1927
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dani~ I guess that's where motivation comes in...HOW to stay motivated in the face of 'no loss' or 'feeling deprived'? I don't know how to sustain the motivation. Feeling good is a great motivation in itself, but that doesn't last much past "new diet euphoria". Luckily there's no euphoria here, this is not new, but it works if I work it.

See, I can take or leave chocolate. My downfall is salty crunchy, carby goodness. Bread with butter. Biscuits and gravy. Bagels and cream cheese. Pie. Breaded foods. Mmmmm. CHIPS. *drooling*

I had chicken and veg for lunch, a little goat cheese, some salad...not fab but filling and doesn't make me want more. Almonds (14) for snack. Dinner will be protein and veg. No wine yet. Wine takes all of my motivation and flushes it down the toilet. I will keep this up as long as my brain will allow, until my brain decides that I need something else. I'll hold off as long as I can.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #1928
Blabbermouth!!!

I didn't write that out very well. At all.
What I meant was, that I tend to feel or see some sort of physical changes when I start a new plan... clearer skin, less lethargy, etc....and then it all goes back to being how it was before..the patchy skin comes back, I go back to feeling tired..you get the picture

Motivation.. yeah..know that well.
I have refused to let go of it, even if I was barely hanging on to the smallest teensiest shred of it. Lately I've taken to reading up on people who have inspired me and kept me excited to be on this journey..it's done wonders for my mentality..I even dragged out my box of old pics and charts from waaaay back when I was 150, journals from back then.... WOW. Realizing that I have my own brand of motivation to offer myself and that excites me.

I am in a way way different place mentally this time around than 10yrs ago when I went "balls-to-the-wall"..back then I was dealing with psychotic MIL issues and 9/11 depression.. I'm thankful to have the tools the last 3 years have served to teach me, knowing now that I can handle whatever comes flying in my face. This gives me hope that the journey will finally be complete..or at least the weight-loss part of it..we don't ever really *finish*, do we?

As long as we continue to fight and strive for progress I think we are where we need to be. You got this! I'm excited for you to think that you can work the hell outta LC and feel the control that you want!
Old 05-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #1929
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You said it just right! I know what you meant. In fact, I feel really good right now, not bloated, not puffy eyed, not craving crap....the question is: How long before this new-found well being isn't as important as a quesadilla? I know it's not funny...but it's true.

Looking to those who inspire you is the right thing to do. I spent hours yesterday reading Mark Sisson's blog, Jorge Cruize, George Stella...all the ones who live it and thrive on it. Reinforcements. I know I can do this.

10 years ago I was raising two teenagers and had one married and in trouble constantly with her marriage. Stress makes everything harder for sure. We need to concentrate on us, our health and well-being because those in our lives will benefit, too.

Danielle Thanks. You always have great input and I appreciate it so much!
Old 05-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #1930
Blabbermouth!!!

I take it back..it was probably more like 12'ish years ago ...and during that time I had 3 kids in elementary school...Pre-k, 1st grade, and 2nd grade....in the depths of my stay-at-home-momedness For whatever reason I felt like it was the right time to do it..even amidst all the "grown up chaos" going on.. to this day, I have no idea how I did it. I guess I had just come to terms with my resolve that I was gonna get it done? I haven't felt that deep intensity in a very very long time. It's creeping back slowly which is shocking to me, but exciting. Gives me hope that I can actually maybe kinda sorta see this thing through finally. I'm so tired of hearing myself!

I find looking at people who've had the journey and met success is what lights a fire..I tend to get lazy about keeping up with them.. but I need to because it gets me excited about what I KNOW I can do too.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #1931
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm so tired of hearing myself!

I know what you mean. I (we) write the words and talk the talk and then for whatever reason, I (we) can't walk the walk. That makes me doubt myself and also makes me tired of hearing myself talk. My SIL is trying so hard to stop drinking, I'm his biggest cheer leader (he asked me to cheer). I want so much for him to make it and yet I can't stop putting carbs and sugar in my mouth. What does that say about me? Here's someone reaching for help so that his life can be better...I'm wanting ice cream. To be honest, I didn't eat any ice cream but yesterday I 'white-knuckled" my addiction. I felt like crying. I'm thinking I wanted a "hit" of seratonin, real bad. Whatever it was, I got through it.

Yesterday morning I got into the back yard with DH and DS and kicked some foxtail booty. What a crazy mess of weeds! I spent a good hour or more digging, raking and scooping up weeds. Fox tails will get into dogs noses and ears and will trigger a visit to the vet. You can't mow them or you'll scatter seeds everywhere. This morning I'm heading out again, to the side yard this time. There's no sun there at the moment so now is the time to hit it.

No breakfast yet.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #1932
Blabbermouth!!!

I know how hard it is to watch someone struggling with alcohol/drugs.. I watched my SIL for years and years...absolutely devastating to watch.
It's tough when we start to relate it to our own issues with food... so frustrating. I hate feeling like a hypocrite!

Sounds like some physical labor is doing you good. Hopefully today's work will bring you some more "peace"..if for anything keeping your mind off ice cream or whatever else might plague you.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #1933
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sunday

Lots of yard work this morning and Dani you're right! It is good for me. It's hot and my muscles ache but in a good way.

DH and I went out to lunch. I had protein, salad, a few low carb veggies and sugar free soft serve with peanuts. It was good. Tomorrow is BBQ day at DD 'the elder's' house. I'm glad I'm not cooking and I'm going to make a sugar free cheese cake with almond crust to take with me for dessert. You know how when you're trying to be good and someone whips out a red white and blue layer cake with a candy flag and you're like "DOH!"...? This time I come prepared. (I'm also prepared to hear DD's "ewww you used fake sugar"?!

I'm having a lovely glass of red, DH is napping and I'm thinking the TV may be calling....

VERY quiet here today. I like it.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #1934
Blabbermouth!!!

Sounds like a lovely day!

Coming armed is the best defense. You go girlfriend!

Enjoy your tv time!! I'm contemplating netflixing Scandal once I get caught up with my dvr stuff......that, or Army Wives.. both look good!
Old 05-27-2013, 04:16 AM   #1935
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Blonde I am back with you girls, I know you will see what I wrote in D journal so no need to repeat here, but we can do this, I have got to find some resolve and get going!!!!!

I know what it is like to struggle and not see success for a year I have been on a downward spiral!!!!!!

But there is always another day to start fresh so I am back!
Bejewelme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:39 AM   #1936
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh Hey Amber! Good to see you. We are the 'never give up' girls! I'll pop over to Dani's page and see what's up.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #1937
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

2 hours digging weeds this morning! I think I may even like it. DH was out there with me and the two of us really got a lot done. Keep in mind this has been neglected, all the rain...then all the weeds...

Did you know that 1 hour of general gardening burns 394 calories??? WOOT!

I'm scheduled to work Tues and Weds this week and I'm going to do my best to work both days. I guess if I can pull weeds in the sun for a couple hours, I can surely deliver food in a restaurant, in air-conditioning.

Still LC today, but not wine-free. I had wine last night, it is supposed to be 'reasonable carbs" but it is alcohol and it burns first before anything else. Carbs and calorie counts are within acceptable levels. My hope is to eventually eat less, naturally. I made "peanut butter pie" cups in muffin tins. Sugar-free. I may be the only one who likes them...and not that much. Probably will like it better with the dollop of whipped cream on top.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:40 PM   #1938
Blabbermouth!!!

Didja not make the cheesecake? How was the bbq? PB cups always get me into trouble..sf or not! ....

Gardening burns all kinds of good calories! Good for you!!!
I've spent my day either on the couch or in my car running a kid here or there. We'll grill tonight when everyone gets home..until then...Client List and SVU are on the agenda.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #1939
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Gardening is good exercise and it counts! I betcha your butt is sore tomorrow from bending over, LOL That is a good thing!

I gotta go boil eggs, plan some menus so I can stick to it, I am going to try to keep it really simple, I gotta say those new strawberry atkins bars are the bomb!!!!! I hate to eat frankenfoods but I hate cooking in the morning, and they are filling for breakfast!
Bejewelme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:47 AM   #1940
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Dani! I made the peanut butter pie in lieu of the cheesecake. It was sugar free and made with knox gelatin, cream chees and peanut butter & splenda. Not too bad. The grand girls liked them. I poured them into muffin cups and topped with whipped cream. I thought they were so-so. DD made the most amazing chicken breasts on the grill, topped with a whole fire roasted green chili and jalapeno jack cheese! YUM! I had that with a big a$$ salad. My treat was a glass of wine before bed, just one. Glad you had a nice slow day yesterday.

Amber~ my butt, my legs...my whole body is sore, but in good way! Not to mention the satisfaction of seeing a weed free yard. Good work planning your menus! It's always easier to know what you're gonna be eating. As for the frankenfood, if you like it and it helps then go for it, it's way better than a strawberry jelly donut!

I've been reading another book. GOOD GRIEF, when will I learn. It's The 100, Jorge Cruise. The interesting thing is it's light years different from his Belly Fat Cure. The BF Cure allowed all kinds of breads and stuff. The 100 pretty much eliminates ALL grain carbs, starchy carbs and most fruit. He claims not to be like Atkins, and his only difference (IMHO) is that he shuns fake sugar and sugar alcohols except for stevia and xylitol. The 100 is a list of 0 sugar foods that are 'legal". It's just another really strict WOE that would challenge even the most dedicated dieter. He claims that 10-13lbs a week can be lost (3-5 being fat, the rest is waste from the intestines) if you have 30-60lbs to lose. He also has a carb cycling program for women over 40. He seems to think we need a little extra to make up for lost hormones or something like that. His hearts in the right place. IDK. I'm skeptical. Just going to LC my favorite LC foods and see what happens.

I like the idea that LC eating can help retain muscle while losing fat. That's a big deal when you're my age.

I've lost a lot of the cravings that I had last week, so I feel somewhat in control right now. I have way more energy as proven by the yard work I've been doing.

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 05-28-2013 at 06:50 AM..
Old 05-29-2013, 06:00 AM   #1941
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No More Carb Coma

This became apparent when I awoke at 2 am and after tossing around I got up, and stayed up. What happened to the dead sleep? IDK. Work was good yesterday, but short. I'm home today and hitting the back yard as soon as my coffee kicks in (and before it gets too hot). Maybe a walk too.

Yesterday:

B: Eggs & coffee
L: Salad w/Ranch
D: lean cheeseburger patty and pan-caramelized Brussel Sprouts
S: SF ice cream (gasssss, no thanks, no more)

Today:

B: Eggs, 1 GF toast, Coffee
L: Lean burger patty, salad w/ranch
D: TBD
Old 05-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #1942
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My Lifestyle Plan~PS No induction required

I'm trying to get this down so I can remember my plan. It's a lifestyle plan that will allow me to have 100 carbs a day and under 15 sugar grams a day. Sound familiar? I'm stealing bits and pieces of other L/C diets. MDA says 50-100 gms are good for a steady 1-2lbs loss a week (I'll be happy with 1) Jorge Cruise (The Belly Fat Cure) says 15 max grams of sugar and 120 gm carbs. I think 120 is a bit too much. I will have a maximum of 20 carbs per meal. South Beach Diet says that light dressing and cheeses are perfectly okay. This is good to me, I don't really want to start eating a ton of fat again (thank you WW), I don't think it's good for me. So light sour cream, light ranch etc. Real butter (a tiny amount). Still staying away from wheat. I think this (no wheat) is maybe the smartest thing I did for myself this year.

So what is off limits? Really nothing (except wheat products and excess sugar). Sugar itself is not a problem for me, so candy and high sugar fruit won't be missed. I don't eat it anyway. It's an "I can have it all" plan, just not all at once. Or all the time. Or everyday. This veers away from WW in that it's lower carb. There are certain foods that I know are trigger foods and those I really have to try to avoid but they're not off limits. This is where lifestyle with self-control comes in. If I'm going to lose weight and stay focused I have to be accountable. I must record/journal/account for my foods. I can't close my eyes and pretend that I didn't have three glasses of Pinot Noir. See this is a trigger I know about. I also know that I can't keep tortilla chips around because they call me with their siren-song...until they are all gone. So even though nothing is off-limits, some things are dangerous to have around here. I will not bring tortilla chips into the house unless I have six other people to help eat them. I will not drink alone or without food (as in a glass with my meal) I will not drink every day. I really should only drink on the weekend but again, I don't want to undo my good work every weekend by over indulging. I love that there is nothing weird or 'fadish' about his woe. I do have restrictions but they are necessary to my health as well as my weight.

Lastly, I will be active every day, in some way. That may mean gardening or weeding or mowing the lawn. It may mean 40 minutes on the stationary bike. It may mean working a lunch shift. Or max cleaning my house. Or a walk. SOMETHING everyday to get myself moving. While I'm being active I hope to get out of my own head for awhile. While it's great to have a plan it's best to work it and not over-think it (my favorite downfall).

I'm going to start a new journal because this one is almost full and I'm going to have a lot of success to write about.

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 05-29-2013 at 07:53 AM..
Old 05-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #1943
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My new journal

My new journal is here. I'm walking away from past failings and starting new, this very day. Come with???

My Personal Low Carb Lifestyle Plan~No Induction Required