Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 07:41 AM   #1861
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/229.8/125
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
I wish i could say that I haven't run off the rails again, but I'd be fibbing. Yesterday it was so hot outside, I was stuck in the house and bored and miserable. I ate. I've had worse pig out's, this one was mild in comparison but still, it was a set back. I woke up this morning feeling lousy and looking pregnant (you know what I'm talking about). I am attempting to turn it around today. Low carb only (and low fat). I feel like my blood tests scheduled for next month have me nervous. I don't believe I've made a noticeable difference in my cholesterol and so it will be a battle of wills between me and my doctor. Statins or no statins. I don't want it.

Back to the food thing...what is wrong with me?? I know better. I have the knowledge, I've read all the books, I've followed most of the diets (at least briefly). I know that lifestyle change is the only way to lasting weight loss. But which lifestyle? I also so know that moving around is the key element to getting and keeping it off. Yes I know all of this. Why can't I implement a plan and stick with it? I do believe that if something isn't working, try something else...lately I feel like a dog chasing my own tail. Or another dog analogy....looking for the perfect place to pee. Back and forth across the yard...here? No, here? No, here? Over there? Wait back here? On and on....

I don't have the answer. Have I ever had the answer? Even briefly?

Sometimes I feel like there's a flash of brilliance...just out of thought range.
6/27~226.6
8/01~235
8/06~233
8/15~229.8
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #1862
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Still without answers, I went into the garage and pulled out the push-mower and mowed the front and side lawn. Not quite sweaty enough, I went out back, picked up trash, rearranged patio furniture, dragged over a giant bag of potting soil, transplanted several overgrown houseplants and started bell pepper seedlings. Break for something cold to drink...what next??? I'll report back.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #1863
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So it's 2:00 and I've had 1200 calories already...granted I did a ton of yard work and the calories are legit, nothing bad....but I am going to have to skip dinner to stay within my limit....

:Where is my magic PILL???
Old 05-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #1864
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
You are being way too hard on yourself dear friend. It takes about 2 full days of RS before I noticed the fullness. Also, RS is fantastic for regulating lipids, or so says the research. Improved blood lipid profile - Cardiovascular disease, lipid metabolism, the metabolic syndrome. How long before you will need to have your blood work?
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #1865
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
I agree you're way too hard on yourself!!! Personally, I think you're right on target for the day, but then, what do I know...said the girl who can't seem to figure out which end is up!

The proverbial magic pill will forever hide because there isn't one. But then, you already knew that... I know that both of us possess what ever it is that's required to do this thing..I mean, seriously, we've raised how many kids and managed to stay married for how long????????????? And we can't figure this out? I call bulls*** and we're just not lookin in the right place!

I may have been gone for a bit, but I wasn't down. Just toiling away and trying to figure myself out alittle bit more. It's amazing how many years go by when you live in denial! :/ But I think I'm all owned up and ready to get going again. I HAVE to! I'm ready to be awesome.

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
DesertGurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:24 AM   #1866
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bless you ladies, for being so sweet. Of course I didn't skip dinner and added a bottle of red. I know there's no magic pill, but I want one anyway. I've been faithfully logging my daily overages, probably the main reason I'm freaking out, but accountability is everything. IF I could make this a down day, I'd be happier in the end but even I can't fool myself. I can try but I've got my doubts. I can try, though and I will.

Made myself an eggbeaters omelet for breakfast and I'm promising myself a ride to nowhere on the old exercycle this morning. Tempratures have dropped again, 100 on Monday, 90 on Tuesday and today's high is expected to be 75 (meaning close to 80 where I live). The heat has been awful and makes it difficult to go outside and enjoy the day. Mowing the lawn yesterday was so worth it because DH was thrilled by it. He noticed immediately and was so grateful to not have to do it himself. I have work today...I'm dreading it. I am in full hibernation mode and will have to force myself to go.

Sunday I only took the RS on the first day. When I get home from work I'll take it again. It made me very...um...gassy. So really I haven't given it much of a chance to work for me. I will today and tomorrow, see how it goes. My blood testing had been moved to June, and only then if I show up for it... You are such an inspiration to me!

Danielle you're already awesome! I'm really glad you've taken some time to figure some things out for yourself. I do know we can do this, nobody said it would be easy...or else it would already be a done deal, right?

I'm going to make a huge effort to have a down day today.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:36 AM   #1867
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Let me know how the RS goes. Hope today is a great day for you! It's a DD for me too! I have struggled lately with them. TODAY WILL BE GREAT FOR US BOTH!
zipp2play is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #1868
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Morning all! Today is my 2nd week of experimenting with "potato only" dinners. Nothing else. It is working! It may be since I am only eating 1,000-1200 per day, but something makes me think it is the combo of RS/taters daily. I had a few slip ups last week. In fact, I scarfed nuts one day and did not plan on that and wish to keep it completely out of the experiment. I really don't want to drop the cals much lower and hope this continues, because I feel excellent. Especially at night. The RS is keeping me from breaking my 16 hour fast.

If my scale is any indication, I am in for at least 3 lbs this week. Last week, was 2. I think that going slow on the RS and for me personally, waiting until later in the day may be to my benefit "munching wise".
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 05-15-2013 at 07:12 AM..
Old 05-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #1869
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

45 minutes

Monica, HI! Nice to see you! I will definitely post my RS experiment. I'm really hoping to get Sunday's appetite suppressant results.

Sunday your results are spectacular! When you say going slow on RS is that smaller doses, or less times a day? Just curious. The weight loss is fantastic!

I finished 45 minutes on the stationary bike and that has added 425 more calories to my daily total. In other words, according to myplate I can have more calories and still be within my range. The good news is, I'm still going to try to DD today, but if not, I'll still be under for the day. This is cool. Very cool.

Off to shower and get ready for work. Bleh. I need a new job.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #1870
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blonde! Since you have a stationary bike, have you tried this?

3 Minutes A Week

I have been doing the same experiment on my elliptical. I will be back later with my thoughts. HIIT can be done with just floor exercises as well, such as jumping jacks, lunges, rope jumping, burpees, squats, or whatever you find fun.

I am doing 10 minutes of HIIT per day at least 4x per week.

Last edited by sunday; 05-15-2013 at 08:37 AM..
Old 05-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #1871
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

On RS, what I mean with slow, is start out with 1 to 2 tbsp per day and see how you feel. I was a bit too zealous, doing 3 sometimes 4 tbsps and became bloated. No appetite whatsoever for my Free Days which was a real letdown.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #1872
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Also, I want to state that for health benefits, I think the RS could be taken just once or twice per week. For weight loss which most of us are, then possibly every DD or fasting day. I may change my mind, but I don't think I could take this every day and eat to Free Day cals.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #1873
Blabbermouth!!!

Yay for the bike!! I wish I still had mine, I loved that thing.

Ugh, heat! It really sucks when it feels much hotter than it is!!! I do not do well in the heat at all, which is damn funny considering I live in an oven 7 or 8 months outta the year!

What the dealio with this potato stuff you're taking?

Have a great day at work!
Old 05-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #1874
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hello Sunday and Dani! Back from work, it was so slow I was walking backwards but it did me a world a good to be out and accountable! I'm very happy I exercised and worked today. I also refrained from picking up a bottle of red on the way home.

Sunday, I can only hope to have my appetite suppressed. I will start slowly. 1 tablespoon today, maybe one tonight. I came home kinda starving and was craving something cool so I had 6 oz of cottage cheese mixed with 2 tablespoons of Fage 0, and 2 T salsa. After that I immediately took 1 T of RS in water. See if that slows me down somewhat. I'm excited to give it a real go, so tomorrow I'm shooting for 3T. I definitely want the weight loss benefits!

Dani~ Resistant starch is a new trend going around. It's not like the potato hack. I don't know how to link info like Sunday but there is a quite a bit of discussion on the May PHD THREAD. You can access it from Sundays siggie line. It has major benefits of lowering fasting BG levels, and correcting insulin resistance, appetite suppression and is apparently good for your gut. I bought Bobs Red Mill unmodified potato starch. I don't know if it would bother you since you have to stay away from 'nightshades" like potatoes. There is also a Hi-Maize resistant starch made from corn that some others are using. I have pre-diabetes so I want to get a better BG reading and lose some weight. I'll try it and see. If it slows down my scarfing of food, Ill be glad.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #1875
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This came from the PHD thread

Resistant Starch, Insulin Sensitivity and Appetite Control

Intestinal cells produce powerful gut hormones that have metabolic effects.

Studies have shown that RS increases the production of two important substances called Glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1) and PYY.[3] GLP-1 is a super important gut hormone that improves insulin production and sensitivity. Therefore, it promotes better blood sugar levels. Adiponectin is another substance that helps insulin sensitivity, and it increases somewhat with resistant starch intake as well[4].

This is not well known, but insulin also plays role in appetite signaling. When insulin is working well, it activates the production of something called POMC, a neurotransmitter produced in cells in an area of the brain called the hypothalamus. POMC inhibits appetite, and studies have found the POMC increases in subjects given Resistant Starch.[5]

PYY (peptide YY) is a small peptide made in intestinal cells after you eat. (A healthy gut should produce plenty of it.) When subjects are given RS, PYY production increases. This substance travels in the blood and sends a signal to the brain to shut down production of something called neuropeptide Y/agouti related protein (NPY/agRP), the neurotransmitter made in the brain that drives hunger.
So all of these factors combine to not only help insulin function better and prevent insulin resistance but to help control appetite. Multiple studies have shown that RS leads to lower calorie consumption
Old 05-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #1876
Blabbermouth!!!

Very intrigued about this potato stuff! I am pre-diabetic, dx'd as insulin resistant and totally unable to lose despite hard-core efforts.. Anything that can help with the resistance would be a HUGE help! I'm not entirely convinced on the nightshades thing....I eat salsa like it's going out of style..not to mention potatoes... How do you eat this stuff???

What a great day you had!
Old 05-16-2013, 06:07 AM   #1877
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dani~ I got mine at Sprouts in the baking section. Be sure to get 'unmodified' potato starch. As Sunday said, it's a key ingredient in gluten free flour. One tablespoon has 40 calories. Sunday takes 1 tablespoon about an hour before a meal, I took mine yesterday directly after I finished my lunch.

I can't report any results yet, I just started taking it, but Sunday had to cut back because she just flat out did not want to eat! I took 1 T yesterday, today I'll take 2, 1 before breakfast and 1 before dinner. Tomorrow I'll try three T's.

Sunday, as always, thank you for your inspiration and your willingness to provide information.

So how is everyone today? I got up feeling a little better mentally. I think it was going to work yesterday and the stationary bike. I'm going to ride it again today! It can get boring but it's a chance to catch up on DVR'd programs. It's cooler today, cloudy outside and low 70's expected in my neck of the woods. If I'm lucky, my BFF can meet me today for lunch and "catch up".
Old 05-16-2013, 06:55 AM   #1878
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You're welcome! I am enjoying reading all of the research on the RS.
I am taking 3 tbsp today since yesterday I was able to take 2 with absolutely no issues. I even became hungry later in the evening, which made me realize that I must be tolerating it better.

Also, I watched a youtube video by a hospital and I can't remember which hospital it is, but they use RS in their weight loss program. It is added to shakes. Anyway, the doctor said that only half of the cals actually count due to the fiber. This is excellent, because 4 tbsp would only be 80 cals and 4 is supposedly the optimal dose.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #1879
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good to know! Half the calories is way better! I took my RS right before my workout. I just finished 40 minutes/8 miles on the stationary bike. Yay!
Old 05-16-2013, 08:38 AM   #1880
Blabbermouth!!!

Ok, well now I'm gonna have to go find some of this "potion".. I am very intrigued and it would be wonderful if it was able to actually help my issues. Question: would this be something that could help DD16 in cleaning out her gut???? She's still experiencing some discomfort still, nothing that has been agonizing but it's still there, kwim? Altho', she *is* 16...and that means she's more than likely snuck her share of some things she shouldn't have?

Sunday, thank you for sharing all your knowledge! So much information that is useful and pertinent to my life. I'm excited to begin this experiment and see what happens!!

BTW, I still don't know how you guys are taking this stuff? ARe you just eating it off a spoon?????? :

Blonde~ I am so proud of you with getting going on the exercise. I almost feel like now I gotta keep up. This is good!!! There is definitely something to be said about the mental clarity that exercise and getting out can bring. Keep going!!!!!

Anyways, hoping you have an awesome day with your BFF, sounds fun!!
Old 05-16-2013, 09:00 AM   #1881
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dani! LOL! You can put RS (resistant starch) in a smoothie, juice or just mix it with water. It has no taste actually, so not bad in water. My understanding is that it needs to be taken COLD, so if you heat it in soup it may lose it's resistant properties. I've taken mine with water and also almond milk but if you like protein drinks or smoothies that would work. Bon appetite!

I don't think it would harm your DD to take it, but too much too soon may cause discomfort. Start slowly and work up to (eventually) 4T a day. Maybe 1 today, 2 tomorrow, etc.

I'm hoping for control over my eating.

SO....you feel the need to keep up, eh? You mean like a challenge or something? Go for it girlie. I'll match you day for day... (This is me doing girly pushups)
Old 05-16-2013, 09:09 AM   #1882
Blabbermouth!!!

I can just do cold water... it's that time of year where I have water with me every single second of every day. Going to look for RS tonight. Told DH about it and he sounds hopeful that this might help me alittle bit! Gosh, this, coupled with JUDDD..can you imagine the possibilities!

I've been thinking ALOT about working out since last week... I mean.....ALOT. Time to get up and get going! I do want to be able to participate in some runs next year so I gotta get this weight off so I can train properly! ... oh, and uhh... I don't do push-ups! ....not even girly ones!! HA!
Old 05-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #1883
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGurl View Post
... I don't do push-ups! ....not even girly ones!! HA!
Me neither! That's why the emoticon is doing all the work. I do have hopes of one day doing it myself. When my eldest daughter stopped by with the mini chiwah yesterday, I was on the bike and she said "Well, that's great! I'm glad to see you're not just going to roll over and croak". Hmmph. I suppose I had been giving that impression.

Yes, RS and JUDDD would be so great. That is what I want too! Or maybe, with the loss of appetite, I wont 'feel compelled to starve every other day. IDK. I cross my fingers and continue my search for the magic.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #1884
Blabbermouth!!!

Yeah, I think I had the family over here thinking that I was going to becoming permanently glued into my pj's and stay in bed til I just stopped breathing. Ooopppsssss!! I know DH was worried for a little bit... I feel really bad for that, but homeboy should know me by now that I am way too feisty and stubborn to just give up! I've had to fight every day of my life, I ain't about to just stop now. Especially since the new chapter's about to begin where I get to enjoy being "kidless" and do whatever the hell I want!

Honey, WE are MAGIC!
Old 05-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #1885
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGurl View Post
Yeah, I think I had the family over here thinking that I was going to becoming permanently glued into my pj's and stay in bed til I just stopped breathing. Ooopppsssss!! I know DH was worried for a little bit... I feel really bad for that, but homeboy should know me by now that I am way too feisty and stubborn to just give up! I've had to fight every day of my life, I ain't about to just stop now. Especially since the new chapter's about to begin where I get to enjoy being "kidless" and do whatever the hell I want!

Honey, WE are MAGIC!
Yes indeedy!

I'm off to run errands, I'll check back in a bit. Have a great day Danielle!
Old 05-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #1886
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just got back from lunch at Souplantation. It did seem that I got full pretty fast and didn't have room for soup, but I always find room for the sugar free chocolate mousse, and I did again. Ran errands, picked up the MONDO bag of bird seed for my gluttonous feathered friends.I took my second T of PS. We'll see how I feel when dinner rolls around. If I'm lucky I may be able to do a DD tomorrow.

DH will be home in an hour so I'd better "hit it"!
Old 05-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #1887
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Had my tater dinner and I feel good. These mini baby dutch yukon's are the best little taters.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:34 AM   #1888
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh my, I am puff diddy today...from my eyeballs to my feet. It's very possible I forgot to take my hypertension meds yesterday, I don't remember one way or the other. I mean, I think I did, but boy am I swollen. And crabby. Crab-by.

DH said this morning "You slept so good, and I slept so lousy"...I wanted to take his head off. He makes me feel guilty! For sleeping well. He won't see a doctor about his sleep and pain issues, he gets up in the middle of the night and boots up the computer...why do I feel bad? He forgets ALL the years that he lolled about while I got up with sick kids and stayed up with sick kids, I got up early every Saturday morning to watch cartoons with the kids, to make breakfast, to make sure they weren't outside playing in their PJ's. He slept in, always.

I have given him breakfast in bed for 36 years. Cranky much? You bet. The things is, I'm not really sleeping all that well...I have any number of hot flashes in my sleep and often have to get up and change PJ's because of it. I get up at least twice to pee. I almost never nap, so when I hit the hay, I'm tired. In the couple of years before my meno actually paused I had 3:00 am insomnia. Yes, I would wake at three and lie there for an hour or so, then fall back to sleep right before the alarm was set to blow-up. I would drag myself out of bed and bring breakfast to my husband, then get ready to go to work myself. I deserve to sleep well. I earned it.

My plans for the day? Exercise, eat well (I hope). Go get my nails done. Nails are new to me. I've been getting them done for a couple of years after ignoring them for my whole life. I refuse to feel guilty about my nails...or my hair...or sleeping well. I mean it.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:55 AM   #1889
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sunday I'll have to find some of those mini Dutch Yukons...they sound yummy.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #1890
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

They are small, in net bags and tucked into the potato section (sort of like last thought). I almost missed them! They are about half the size of the new red potato and about twice the size of a fingerling? If you go to Melissa's Baby Dutch, you can see the pic. Interestingly, you can eat 3 of these for 80 cals. PERFECT for a DD.

On the DH, I find that I get peturbed at mine more now than usual. I think it is because we are old. Finally. I agree about the years that we spent getting up early too. I sometimes lay in bed after I wake and think about how much I don't miss having kids in the house. Nowadays, it is Sadie (choc lab) who wakes me and wants her morning breakfast.