Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #1801
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Hey! Happy to see you today

Don't ever apologize for needing time for yourself! I relate to that in so many ways, you know that....totally get it. I am constantly astounded by just how powerful the mind is, and how aware we need to be...things can flip so easily in an instant. BTDT!!!

My plan has so totally gone off the rails it's despicable. This is what not weighing daily creates for me! I did get on it today...meh. It's not wildly huge gain but if I'd have stuck to the program I'd probably be down a few pounds from where I was..imagine that!

Work might be good for a few hours..get you thinking about other things and out of the house!

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2013, 07:13 AM   #1802
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/IDK/140
WOE: Currently JUDDD
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Morning Dani! Stupid scale, . I still haven't replaced mine and I'm going off the one at my Doctor's office. It really helps to a have a plan. sometimes when I'm totally out of control (usually when too many sweets are involved) I have to go all meat/egg/cheese, or meat/salad greens/dressing for a few days. I haven't done that for quite a while but it is a good way to put on the brakes. I didn't stay entirely fruit and veg yesterday but I came in only a couple of points over. This is an improvement. I was getting good results before I got sick...I need to get back to that place.

You're right about the 'mind' being powerful. It can make or break a day. The idea is to be able to control it, but mine does tend to 'runaway' from me.

Doing the all fruit/veggie day is fairly easy if I have the right stuff here. Potatoes, bananas, carrots, butternut squash, apples, pears, tomatoes etc. It's easy to whip up a little soup, very filling. Steamed vegetables with a little butter spray. Sweet Potato and apple, micro waved together. If I plan for it, it's really easy. And you know what else? I feel really good the day after.

Work was good, fortunately it was slow. I was there for 3 hours and it totally kicked my bu++...in a good way. It was nice to have my co-workers tell me I was missed. I dragged myself home and took a power nap (20 minutes)...the barking dogs woke me up and man was I out of it? I didn't know up from down for a couple of seconds. I think it's important that I get out and walk over the next few days to prepare myself to work all of my shifts next week. I'm a bit out of shape after hardly moving at all for two weeks. Move it or lose it, right?

Today is a regular WW day but I have found that adding in lots of veggies helps my points to stay within the parameters set for me. If I go over too much I revert to F/V only, on the following day, (mostly...if I can make my mind, mind).
Here we go again....
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #1803
Blabbermouth!!!

Yep, when I'm trying to reign everything in I tend to go to meat, salad, and eggs..it makes it easier to get back on track.

I think you've found a great way to work "a rotation" in your style..it truly seem to agree with you!

Getting out and walking will definitely help your strength and get back on your feet quicker. Being so sick is exhausting and debilitating...shocking what a toll it takes on our bodies! Good for you for getting out there!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #1804
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TGIF~ Truly.

My thumb hovered over the WW cancellation button today....I put my thumb away and told myself to 'suck it up' and start tracking. Today is the beginning of the new week for me (and weigh-in). I still don't have a scale so I used last weeks number and added an arbitrary 2 lbs...because I felt I should. The only really different thing I've been doing is adding some wine which always sets me back and makes me feel kinda oogey. I need to remind myself to 'track' no matter what, no matter how bad or good I think I've been, it's almost always not as bad I I imagined. Enough about that.

I'm feeling very restless regarding my job and my daily habits which lately have become fairly lazy. Yes I know I've been sick but I can't rest on that laurel forever. I'm better and I need to act so. So what is it I'm think I'm missing? Well a nice walk for one. And I'm not painting for another. I feel the need to do something worthwhile, something helpful, and awe inspiring (my awe, not anyone else's) Something good for the community? Nah. Maybe I should think about removing the dirt from my own house before I try to clean up someone elses?

My bad carpet is being ripped out this weekend, YAY!! That's a start in the right direction...
Old 04-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #1805
Blabbermouth!!!

I feel ya on the restless feelings...it's what I've struggled with for a few months now. I think it's because I'm not in school this semester and I am totally lost as to what to truly focus on. The original plan was to be jazzed and excited that I had total free-time to focus on my weight loss...hunh, well, apparently I'm not able to focus on that either!

The carpet being gone will feel amazing, I bet! Alot easier to keep clean that's for sure!
Old 04-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #1806
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hiya DAni! We Spent the whole day yesterday ripping out carpet, then wet mopped and dry-vac'd the whole thing and you know what? It's way better even though it looks bad right now. We're going to try and get the tile down next weekend. I've spent the day cleaning and putting back everything that had to be moved off of the tables and end tables, the desk, the piano...etc. What a funky dusty mess. Soon it'll be like brand new.

Having a devil of a time staying on a DD, hopefully tomorrow will be easier with DH and myself at work.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:21 AM   #1807
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

*Big sigh*

Okay, back to work today and back on track (my plan, anyway). Having coffee, I've been up since 4am, I woke up sweating. It was really hot here last night and I'm having a hard time cooling down this morning. I'm starting to wonder how big a role my thyroid plays my hot flashes and night sweats...

I feel visibly/physically fatter. It's the boom-a-rang effect of prednisone and if it runs true to course it will take me a month or more to get back where I was before I had to take it. I'm grateful that it helps me get past a bad asthma episode, not so much on the fat side effects.

My plan today is to DD fruits and veggies. We'll see how well I can complete my task.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #1808
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Unfortunately carnitas tacos and peanut butter on a spoon derailed my veggie day. Not to worry, back on it again today with a delicious tomato-cauli-broccoli-squash soup in a blender for breakfast. Very yum and filling. Will I be able to carry this trend through the day? Heaven only knows.

I will try, that's all I can do...although bbq'd angus burger sounds pretty darn good right now. Darn that prednisone! When can I expect to have a normal appetite again? What? It's never been normal? Oh yeah. Silly me.

Off and away!
Old 05-01-2013, 07:05 AM   #1809
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Skipped the burger and actually only went about 5 over points for the day. almost a miracle. I also started taking all my supplements again~multi, D-3, magnesium, C, fish oil...and a dose of B-12 Cider vinegar pills to boot. I made and drank a huge glass of iced green tea hoping to get the extra water to work it's way out and it helped a lot.

I made a pretty good pureed soup and ate a bit of it yesterday. I finished it off for breakfast today. Staying as low as possible with veg and fruit points really helps to keep the over all total in check. I did find myself really hungry by late afternoon...not so good. I stuck to healthy stuff but not to plan. Oh well, it is another day.

No work today. Contemplating a walk at the park but haven't talked myself into it...yet.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #1810
Blabbermouth!!!

Ya did great!! Good for you!!!!!

Hoping you do talk yourself into that walk!

Have you guys been hit by the "hot button" yet? We're sitting in 90+ this week and I am absolutely miserable already We were 102 day before yesterday...I am just not ready for this at all!
Old 05-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #1811
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi buddy! Nope, no walk but I did go get a cut and style and I feel like a million bucks right now.

Warming up here pretty good, but nothin' like where you live. They're talking upper 80's low 90's on Thursday and Friday with Santa Ana winds and a high "FIRE" watch. I have to keep a close eye on the tomato plants or they'll croak without extra water.

Yes, thank you Dani! I do feel like I'm doing better. I'm closely watching my points today and that means making good (better) choices. I will say (for the hundredth time) wine is no bueno for losing weight. Alcohol in general will slow me down or allow me to eat the wrong things. It takes away my resolve and makes it okay to 'splurge' when it's not okay. I'm working on it, and at least on the F/V days I'm not drinking any adult beverages I also believe that taking all of my supplements helps me stay on track.

So. how about you? Are you back top JUDDD yet?
Old 05-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #1812
Blabbermouth!!!

Nice on the new "do"! I need one badly!

I haven't had any alcohol since I started back to LC a few weeks ago... makes it so much easier to say no to certains foods, especially when out to dinner! Altho', lately I haven't done well. At all. Not quite sure what my deal is. Was totally set to begin this weekend and then proceeded to blow it. I've got alot of 'symptoms' that I'm questioning in terms of health and wondering how in heck to get labs & doc visits paid for so I can know for sure....so that's what I'm consumed with ATM
Old 05-02-2013, 06:40 AM   #1813
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm hearing you kid. Medical is so expensive! We have insurance (thank goodness) or that little trip to the ER would have cost almost $5000. This peri-meno/meno stuff blows. I hope you can get some answers soon. Good job on the abstinence from alcohol. It can't hurt.

Why are some days easier than others to be on track? I start out every day with a plan and end up off plan by bedtime. It's less damaging if I'm not adding wine to the mix of calories, but I don't expect to lose any weight doing this. All I can do is reset every day and try again. Then again. Then again. It's frustrating but so much better than just giving up on myself.

I'm still working the WW angle. I think about cancelling it every day then talk myself into a little more time. Now that May has started I have another whole month to decide. It is better than doing nothing at all. I know where that gets me. Exactly nowhere.

My plans for the day:

Get new tires on my car
Stay on point
Vacuum up the snow-drifts of dog hair that are floating unchallenged through the room without carpet, no place to stick. Hah!
Old 05-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #1814
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TGIF~ Again! I still have no scale but upped my weight as 212, on principal. I know I don't weigh 209 anymore...positive.

Once again I start my day on the right foot, all I need to do is stay on it, and go to bed, still on it. Is that too much to ask of myself? I think not.

My breakfast today (brunch?) Chicken Breast, and a puree of tomatoes, butternut squash, herbs and spices heated up. Nice creamy 0 fat soup, 0 points and low calories. Very filling. I need to pick up more Normandy vegetables today and Greek yogurt. Obviously I have not much to report so...ta ta.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #1815
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My thumb won today and cancelled WW. I'm pre-paid to the end of the month but I'm so disgusted with myself...I cant justify using it any longer I'm not following the rules and frankly I've started lying to the program which is defeating the purpose. Aarrgh!!

I've tried so hard to do the right thing, all this talk about my cholesterol and the possibility of having to take a statin drug (which I don;t want), trying to eat right and knowing that I'm messing up somewhere along the way. The last round of prednisone threw me off track and I'm contending with regain. All of my hard work is down the drain and I have to start all over again. I don't actually know how much I've regained but my clothes tell me, I have.

I'm about to load all the fabulous WW "suggested" foods and send them to my son's house. Rice cakes. Whole grain crackers. Oatmeal, etc. I'm so done. I swear I'm going to limit my food to three things and not eat anything else.

Like Protein+Mixed Greens+carrots.

Or Protein+tomatoes+greens

Or Ice cream+mayonaise+tuna (just kidding)

My mantra of this very second goes like this..."reel it in, reel it in, reel it in...."
Old 05-06-2013, 03:24 AM   #1816
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Oh, Blonde. :Hugs: I'm so sorry. I'm convinced that those grains are killer on the ol' ticker.

I hear you on reeling it in! I had that moment yesterday, where I thought, "This is IT. I am SO DONE WITH ALL OF THIS." I need to just stay on task here, and eat my own three things!!! That's not a bad idea, though, for real. It would cut down on food prep A LOT.

Hang in there, friend.
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:15 AM   #1817
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Christine I'm so proud of you! Running the 5k! Just awesomeness.

Yes I'm convinced grains are bad too, but I can't convince my mouth to not eat them. I guess I need to try harder. I'm pretty good about setting my mind to something when my mind will listen to me. You know I'm half serious about the three food limit. Or maybe just two food groups protein + veg. At any rate today is the day to reel it in. I'm thinking protein and salads all week, then next week I'll re-evaluate and see how I feel. Worst case scenario I could gain weight. Best case scenario, I'll drop some water weight and reset my brain.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #1818
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Hi Blonde! I am in the middle of watching Dancing w/ the Stars... and thought about you. Does this mean you dance? I really think it is because of where you are! And I missed hearing from you, my friend!

I think you have decided on the right direction. Limit yourself and see where this takes you. I don't know much about WW, except that I would probably eat everything that cursed me and then panic. I tend to panic when I go out to eat. I still have trouble in this one area. I can watch myself perfectly when at home, but to meet up with friends or family at a restaurant and I fail.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #1819
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hmm not much of a dancer these days but I used to shake it a bit when I was younger. I've cursed myself not to dance because of all the fun I made of old folks trying to dance. I am now one of them.

I had a good LC day today, some chicken breast, salad and for dinner extra lean burger with green beans. I'm really trying to get off the roller-coaster. Yes you're right, WW was not restrictive enough and left way too much leeway in the food choices. I love veggies and I think i can do protein and veg until...well, until I can't. Then I may do a tater hack, or even rotate all veg, all protein + veg. IDK, just gotta keep trying! Thanks for coming to visit.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:29 AM   #1820
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

4 o'clock wake up this morning...as if. DH is off to work and I'm waffling (don't say waffle) between staying up or going back to bed.

I've started tracking on livestrong again and have my breakfast and lunch planned for the day. Still staying away from carbs but following a lower fat regimen for dairy and salad dressings. I know the higher fat stuff is not good for me and I really can't handle the extra calories. If I have to choose between 400 calories of chicken or 400 of salad dressing, I'm pickin' the chicken.

Last night was hot flash mania. Maybe because of the rain (humidity) but oy vey I was throwing covers off and dragging them back on...all night long. I've really started to hate them with a purple passion. DH doesn't get it, he's always cold and just one tiny contact between my skin and his causes mine to dampen. All of my blood tests have been moved to June so I will have some answers by then. I hope.

Not much else to report at the moment....I'll be back.

Breakfast: eggbeater omelet + one whole egg, 2% cheese slice, salsa

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 05-07-2013 at 06:02 AM.. Reason: add
Old 05-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #1821
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Recipe by Buttoni (on LC friends)

GF/Grain-free Foccacia bread

½ c. almond flour
¼ c. golden flax meal
¼ c. unflavored, unsweetened whey protein powder
1 tsp. baking powder
1 T. oat fiber
3 T. softened cream cheese
2 beaten large eggs
1 c. grated Monterrey Jack cheese
½ c. grated Mozzarella cheese
1 tsp. cider vinegar
1 T. heavy cream
1 T. water

Spices of your choosing sprinkled on top. I used my 8-Seed Spice Blend.

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Soften cream cheese in medium mixing bowl in microwave. Beat in the eggs, cream, water, vinegar and both cheeses. Measure and add in all the dry ingredients and stir well with a rubber spatula. Line a sheet pan either with parchment paper or silicone sheet. Scrap the batter onto the prepared pan, spreading it as evenly as possible with the spatula into a rectangle that is roughly 10″x13″. Batter will be about ¼” thick. Sprinkle on spices if using any. Pop bread into 350º oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until done to the touch in the center and lightly browned around the edges. Cool a few minutes and cut evenly into 9 “slices. When totally cool, store in plastic bag in refrigerator.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 9 large slices, each contains:

149 calories
11.5 g fat
3.5 g carbs, 2.1 g fiber, 1.4 g NET CARBS
10.1 g protein
204 mg sodium
65 mg potassium
12% RDA Vitamin B12, 10% calcium, 18% phosphorous, 10% selenium.

8-Seed Spice Blend:

1 T. coriander seeds
1 T. black peppercorns (I use a mixture of black and red)
2 T. dehydrated onion (I used dried shallot)
1 T. sesame seeds
1 T. caraway seeds
1 T. Nigella seeds
1 T. dark whole flax seeds
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 T. poppy seeds
2 T. dried minced garlic
Old 05-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #1822
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lunch: Normandy Vegetable
Tyson Grilled chicken
Laughing cow light wedges (2)

Snack: 2T extra chunky peanut butter ( yum)

Dinner: I'm making BBQ boneless beef ribs in the crock pot. I'll have that with salad.

Yesterdays total was right around 1000 calories, today is looking to be 1200-ish.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #1823
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

YUM! Love reading your menus! I have always loved focacchia! Please let me know how hard this is. I am not good with bread for some reason. Although, this is low carb and amazing sounding.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #1824
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sunday I sure will after I gather all the ingredients. Usually LC bread is more like batter than dough so it should be fairly easy. I'm gald you like my menus. As you can see I'm trying to get away from so many carbs (at least for a few days).
Old 05-08-2013, 03:14 AM   #1825
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, let us know how that goes!! Looks amazing.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:01 AM   #1826
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bad bad charlie horse...

Christine I'm gonna make that bread as soon as I get myself under control.

I did well yesterday. According to my plate calculations I went 137 calories over my goal of 1218. I could probably ramp more calories if I exercised but I've been pretty sedentary except for work, and I haven't been working as much as usual. The extra calories came from a nice glass of red with dinner. It was worth it. I white knuckled it right before bedtime, couldn't stop thinking about the already cooked burger patty in the fridge. I went to bed without eating it. Even LC needs to be monitored for calories. I figured I'd get up and have it for breakfast but settled for a Greek yogurt (for now) instead.

This is the second morning I've had a 4am wake call. DH had to be out of here by 4:45. I really hate getting up early. To top it off I had a "grand mal" charlie horse in my right leg above my knee. I went jumping out of bed around 2:30 in the throes of this thing. It's not the same as standing on your flat feet to get one out of your calf. NOTHING was working and I thought I would pass out, it hurt so bad. On top of the charlie horse, pain seemed to radiate toward my right hip joint (the one that hurts) and it was almost unbearable. After what seemed like five minutes I tried laying down again and relaxed. It evened out, then was over. In the meantime DH is frantic saying what can I do, what can I do? and all I wanted to say was you can shut up... But all I could do was moan. My thigh muscles are still sore this morning. I don't know why that happens but I'd like to prevent it from ever happening again.

I haven't formulated a menu yet but I'll post when I do.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #1827
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I had Greek yogurt about 6:30 (80)

Just had the extra lean burger, 2% cheese slice and 1 piece of GF bread. That should hold me for awhile.

I need to 'grocery shop" for essentials...soon.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #1828
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

"kay so I'm having Normandy vegetables and some tomatoes w/ a little almond milk in a blender. Lots of pepper and a nice creamy soup for lunch. Dinner is maybe ground turkey breast patty and a big salad w/ tomatoes, red onion and sliced almonds with a pinch of shredded 2% Mozz. I think I'm feeding DH his favorite Bertolli Chicken Primavera w/ alfredo. Doh!
Old 05-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #1829
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am so sorry to hear about your pain!!! I cannot imagine. Do you know what triggers it? Sounds terrible.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #1830
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post

This is the second morning I've had a 4am wake call. DH had to be out of here by 4:45. I really hate getting up early. To top it off I had a "grand mal" charlie horse in my right leg above my knee. I went jumping out of bed around 2:30 in the throes of this thing. It's not the same as standing on your flat feet to get one out of your calf. NOTHING was working and I thought I would pass out, it hurt so bad. On top of the charlie horse, pain seemed to radiate toward my right hip joint (the one that hurts) and it was almost unbearable. After what seemed like five minutes I tried laying down again and relaxed. It evened out, then was over. In the meantime DH is frantic saying what can I do, what can I do? and all I wanted to say was you can shut up... But all I could do was moan. My thigh muscles are still sore this morning. I don't know why that happens but I'd like to prevent it from ever happening again.

I haven't formulated a menu yet but I'll post when I do.
Oh, Oh, Oh, I have leg cramps and sometimes they are exactly like you describe. Low Potassium! In the wee hours, like 2:00- 3:00 am. This is what I do and it works! Keep ACV and water mixed right by your bed. Drink it the minute that you feel an attack! I mean the minute. It is instantaneous relief for me.

Quote:
Food Therapy Treatments

If you get leg cramps frequently, especially nocturnal leg cramps it could be due to an electrolyte imbalance.

Low potassium levels can cause leg cramps. Apple cider vinegar is high in potassium and this tonic should help quickly if your leg cramps are caused by low potassium: Mix 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon honey in warm water and drink.

If the above tonic helps relieve your leg cramps, try to boost your potassium levels by eating more of these potassium-rich foods: apples, bananas, dried fruits, avocado, mushrooms, yogurt, kefir, spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, baked potatoes and cantaloupe. Potassium works with sodium to control the fluid balance in your body, and they have to be in the right proportions to each other in order to work effectively. If you have a high sodium diet try cutting back on the sodium a bit, use only high-quality salt such as Himalayan Sea Salt, and at the same time eat more of the foods that are high in potassium. Also, make sure you are drinking enough water.