Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 06:05 AM   #151
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
As I jump around between threads I have found a "common note" of disenchantment regarding this or that "plan"...such as, "I'm dropping out because I only lost 1 pound this week", or "I can't do this it's too hard" or "this isn't working as fast as I'd hoped"....and I was once one of those "drop-outs". I could tell myself anythingto get out of a challenge or to make excuses for stuff. As I've come to know so many people at low carb friends, it's seems obvious that the "successful" ones are the ones that keep on day after day, or have set backs and get right back on track. These are the ones who laugh at there little "Oops, I fell off" and then come back to try again. For heavens sake, if you're allergic to eggs or they make you sick, don't eat them. If you don't like fish, don't eat it. If you can't stand salads...well find another veggie. If shakes give you the shakes, eat some food. Excuses. I recognize them because I've used them myself. I understand completely NOT being ready for a challenge. Recognize it. Own it. Then get ready for it, when you can.
You are totally right!!! We can talk ourselves out of or into almost anything, can't we? But the decision to stay the course is the really the right one. NO MORE EXCUSES!
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2011, 06:10 AM   #152
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Princessdmw33
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: November, 2009
Quote:
Dawn, don't hate me, but...are you really going to take that baby away from your dog? I love that picture!!!
Haha I don't hate you. That is such a complicated question and the "short" answer is "I don't know". The Reader's Digest version which is really a few reasons is that I don't think my step daughter, 22 is committed to completely getting Millie on a schedule and likes to rearrange it to suit her needs. This makes it difficult for us. My SD won't do stuff unless she is backed into a corner which I think I did yesterday with her.

Another reason is that we really have no idea what kind of dog she is. The vet suspects Boxer Pit which I am okay with BUT the more and more I read about the fact that she could have pit in her scares me because if she has bad DNA in her from either breed we may not see any dog aggression until she is between 12-20 months. I fear putting Nala in harms way and other dogs because of her. I have read that you can do all the right things with training them but if it is in their DNA it is there and really not too much to do about it. That scares the crap out of me.

So as you can see that was a loaded question....

Dawn

The best predictor of future behavior is relevant past behavior.
Princessdmw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:21 AM   #153
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/229.8/125
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Wow, that's a tough one. I do know that Boxers are extremely sweet natured, and what I know of pits is that they are mostly a product of their environment, but I do understand your concerns. You should be able to tell a lot about the puppy right now. Does she stare at you when you tell her no, or to sit? Looking at you straight in the face and not looking away is a sign of aggression. I know because I have an 11 year old Rottie mix who still "talks back" and grumbles when he has to go outside and doesn't want to. I am the alpha, though and he minds me. Even if you don't keep her, Nala may want another friend after this. You're very good to foster the puppy!
6/27~226.6
8/01~235
8/06~233
8/15~229.8
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:21 AM   #154
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JK130
Stats: 280/152/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: 7.1.09
you got it. day after day. and then another day, too

and, finally, goal! and MORE vigilance

as much as i would love the miracle weight loss gimicks to be true, alas...nada. the very good news is that we really do have some control over our behaviors in eating and exercise, which in turn influences health and weight loss. lotta hard work...and Blonde, you are doing it!

and please...excuses? i am way older than you so i have made every excuse many more times!!!

your clear thinking attitude is so refreshing. Happy day!
JK130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:27 AM   #155
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaay View Post
you got it. day after day. and then another day, too

and, finally, goal! and MORE vigilance

as much as i would love the miracle weight loss gimicks to be true, alas...nada. the very good news is that we really do have some control over our behaviors in eating and exercise, which in turn influences health and weight loss. lotta hard work...and Blonde, you are doing it!

and please...excuses? i am way older than you so i have made every excuse many more times!!!

your clear thinking attitude is so refreshing. Happy day!
I was I could have had this "clear thinking" years ago, but with age comes wisdom (and aches), so I'll take my knowledge and hopefully apply it to myself. Do you ever remember a time in your life when trying to diet or lose weight was detrimental to your "mental" health? I do, it's weird but I really do. The thought of not having whatever it was I needed to soothe myself at the time would have caused major mental anguish. I don't know why I can handle this now and not before...the fact that my children are grown and I only have to worry about feeding Dh and myself is part of it. Trying to feed three children breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks is not conducive to a 500 fasting every other day plan.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:30 AM   #156
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Wow, that's a tough one. I do know that Boxers are extremely sweet natured, and what I know of pits is that they are mostly a product of their environment, but I do understand your concerns. You should be able to tell a lot about the puppy right now. Does she stare at you when you tell her no, or to sit? Looking at you straight in the face and not looking away is a sign of aggression. I know because I have an 11 year old Rottie mix who still "talks back" and grumbles when he has to go outside and doesn't want to. I am the alpha, though and he minds me. Even if you don't keep her, Nala may want another friend after this. You're very good to foster the puppy!
I'm definitely the Alpha here with both of them. Nala will talk back to me but always loses. It is really funny even when I tell her to get in her chair and she won't do it so here I am picking up the 60 pound dog to not let her win. She will get in her chair and let out this huge moan. Of course I turn around and

She doesn't seem to stare at me. She listens to me when I tell her to do something. We worked on "down" yesterday and she is smart. I was led to this Pit Bull Rescue place and they have a forum and that is where I learned about the dog aggression showing up around 12-20 months. There were many people that said that they really thought that by having the dog in a good environment that would be the difference and then at approximately those ages the aggression showed up.

I just know that Millie will become our responsibility completely and I have tried to make it hard on my SD about going out places because she needs to know that with a puppy comes A TON of work. Why should I make it easy for her? I would never get a puppy this young ever again. They really are too much work. We got Nala when she was 1 1/2....great bratty age.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:49 AM   #157
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dawn I have four dogs. The 11 year old Rottie mix was brought home by my youngest DD (at 6 weeks) and he slept in her room. She was forced to be completely responsible for his potty training and his accidents. It was the only way we would keep him. Then three years later my eldest DD's dog had puppies (Sharpei/retriever mix) and "DD the younger" wanted to bring one home, again. Same routine. Three years ago my DH's father was killed in a car accident and his dog Sally came to live with us. She was luckily already trained and very sweet (a spaniel/beagle mix). THEN DD the younger, moved back home with her little chihuahua, who now lives with us most of the time but has an occasional sleepover with his Mommy at her condo. I'm fortunate, they all get along, they're all spayed or neutered and I adore them. You have to be comfortable with your animals and I would feel horrible if one of my dogs hurt the other one.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:30 PM   #158
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just got home from work...again. I was starving so I had a bowl of shiritaki noodles and taco bell sauce. Hey, it was good and I'm not starving now. I'm wiped-out and my back still hurts from the marathon workday on Sunday, I'm off for the next three days and going to a super-bowl party. I think I'm taking crock-pot meatballs....

I woke up hungry, I ate, was still hungry, so I ate before work then I came home hungry. Today is a down day and I've used 250 calories already...I have enough left to have my dinner salad and come in just under 500. I don't like it when I'm hungry.

It's been so cold here (I know, I live in Southern California)...but the dew point this morning was -4...meaning it's negative dry and the wind just cuts through your clothes, static electricity makes your hair stick out from the bottom and everything you touch SHOCKS you (or the poor dog). The wind is blowing like crazy. Thanks goodness everything is so green or we'd be worrying about wild fires.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #159
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So glad you have some time off! Rest up, my friend!

Sick of the cold here as well!
Old 02-03-2011, 07:00 PM   #160
Major LCF Poster!

beautiful, beautiful weather in northern California today...

Blonde, I love meatballs. Do you use a lower carb recipe? i haven't had any in ages, cause i want them with carby ingredients, smothered in sauce a party sounds like a lot of fun!
Old 02-05-2011, 02:10 PM   #161
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
beautiful, beautiful weather in northern California today...

Blonde, I love meatballs. Do you use a lower carb recipe? i haven't had any in ages, cause i want them with carby ingredients, smothered in sauce a party sounds like a lot of fun!
Not this time, but I have made them low carb! I use reduced sugar ketchup and sugar free preserves, like Smuckers (apricot), soy sauce and red pepper flakes and Splenda. Sweet and spicy.

Tomorrow I'm using honey BBQ sauce, Red Raspberry jam, and sweet thai chili sauce. Still Sweet and spicy. My two favorite meat flavors. Today is a DD and I'm starving again. I had a low carb tortilla with eggbeaters, lettuce and taco sauce...kinda like a giant egg taco, then just finished some shiritaki noodles. People talk about how filling they are but I find they just make me hungrier...two hours or so until my dinner salad. I can wait, but I need to go find a Coke Zero.

I've spent the morning in the garden and patio, planting impatiens, weeding container pots, trimming dead leaves off the green plants and filling in with fresh dirt and more flowers. I set my white antique wrought iron table with pink and white plates and saucers, a plum colored table runner (over glass) and some pretty pink and white cyclamen and a pink and white Kalanchoe. Then set my covered patio table with a green, pink, tan and blue quilt top and added a pink and white Kalanchoe in a little wire basket in the middle. Soooo cute. I'm rushing into spring, but I can't help it. It's so gorgeous today, and so good to spend some time outdoors without a jacket on.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:01 AM   #162
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Superbowl Sunday was an up day, I took full advantage and did not sleep well. Off to work, maybe I'll shake some of that excess food down and out.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #163
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Superbowl Sunday was an up day, I took full advantage and did not sleep well. Off to work, maybe I'll shake some of that excess food down and out.
Food coma here, too! I overslept for the first time in AGES! :blush:
Old 02-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #164
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Monday, Blonde!
Old 02-08-2011, 06:22 AM   #165
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Happy Tuesday Jan!!!

Christine~total food coma! I went to work yesterday and it took me forever to "snap out of it"...just draggin' my butt around. I feel much better today!

My DH got up in the middle of the night and scrounged some canned peaches from somewhere...he told me the peaches stopped the ants from crawling all over him. What does that mean? It sounds like a symptom of something. Blood sugar? He hasn't had a check up in forever, and I think it's time to make an appt. for him. He asked me to make a PB&J sandwich for lunch instead of the usual Turkey and 2% cheese....said he could hardly "choke it down" Monday. I am super sensitive this morning...I wanted to yell because I had already packed his lunch inside his back pack, inside the lunch box underneath his rolled up uniform. I wanted to say, maybe you weren't hungry? [I]Maybe you filled up on potato chips?[I] Arrrgh!

My weight stayed the same. Here we go again. I am doing this, I don't care how long it takes. Work again today so I'll be busy, it's an up day and I don't know what to eat...then maybe some more gardening this afternoon. I really appreciate living in SoCal right now.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:35 AM   #166
Major LCF Poster!

your dh has a funny dream life did he open and eat the fruit?
Old 02-08-2011, 08:01 AM   #167
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
your dh has a funny dream life did he open and eat the fruit?
I could accuse him of dreaming, except he swears he never sleeps. Yeah, he ate the peaches. I guess I'd better buy some more.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:27 PM   #168
Major LCF Poster!

That is an interesting dream! lol I know when I had low blood sugar I didn't dream about peaches!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:21 AM   #169
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Happy Wednesday! Thank you Jan, Christine and Dawn for checking in with me, much appreciated!

SO~ I'm going to try and stay ultra low carb for a few days and try to jumpstart weight loss again. I don't know why I keep stalling but I will move forward.

B: Eggbeaters 60cals/2carbs

I have to admit I'm feeling sort of melacholy (and just a bit freaked). What if this is it? What if I've lost all I'm going to lose? What if this a repeat of last year. Five pounds down, then up, then down, up, down, up..... ad nauseum. I know I need to give the low carb thing a good try, before I completely panic.

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 02-09-2011 at 06:40 AM..
Old 02-09-2011, 06:52 AM   #170
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I was just reminded on the JUDDD thread that there have been studies that show remarkable improvement with people who have asthma when following this WOE, and you know what? It's so true! I hardly ever have to use my rescue inhaler anymore and before I was using it at least once a day, before work or working out. This is a great reason to continue on, even if I never lose another pound!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:53 AM   #171
Major LCF Poster!

Not to panic! All will be well.

But, I never found the dieting/losing thing easy or fun. Ever. Not the beginning, middle or end. If you are the same, cheer up. You CAN do this.

Put on your "little girl" panties! Review all of your "whatever it takes" strategies or ask your friends to share theirs and just move forward one step at a time. One day, one hour of staying on your plan...then one more tomorrow...

I m right there with you, friend, and I am POSITIVE that this weight is not your final weight. Yes, you can start over as many times as you need. And yes, you can realize your health and weight goals.

Gotta go to work...have great day!!!! Eat well...and come back and tell us about it!

Jan
Old 02-09-2011, 06:54 AM   #172
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Not to panic! All will be well.

But, I never found the dieting/losing thing easy or fun. Ever. Not the beginning, middle or end. If you are the same, cheer up. You CAN do this.

Put on your "little girl" panties! Review all of your "whatever it takes" strategies or ask your friends to share theirs and just move forward one step at a time. One day, one hour of staying on your plan...then one more tomorrow...

I m right there with you, friend, and I am POSITIVE that this weight is not your final weight. Yes, you can start over as many times as you need. And yes, you can realize your health and weight goals.

Gotta go to work...have great day!!!! Eat well...and come back and tell us about it!

Jan
HUGE HUGS TO YOU, my friend Jan. Thank you for the encouragement, well meant and well taken!
Old 02-09-2011, 08:27 AM   #173
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellgee
Blonde,

We are having a snow day so I am home and just read through your whole blog. It's great and you are quite an inspiration. I've done JUDDD before and wandered away from it to try various and sundry other things but one of your posts was absolutely right - the people who are successful stick with their plans (whatever they are), day in and day out, despite falling off or screwing up. I am the queen of "Oh I screwed up let the eating fest being!"

I just wanted to say don't be afraid - look at what you have done just since December!

Jan's right - dieting is not easy or fun. I have a lap band which many think is easy - I have to tell you every pound I have lost has been fought for and I can gain weight like nobody else.

Keep on rocking it out, sister!

Laura
ellgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:09 AM   #174
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Laura, thank you! I really appreciate your input and your encouragement. I looked into lap band procedures and from what I've read, it ain't easy, you have a very strict diet to follow. Your stats say you've been very successful, I'm happy for you and you've obviously made the right choice. I know what you mean about "wandering away", for me it was always looking for a miracle (read: the easy way out). There's no easy or fun way, that's for sure, only staying on the path. Staying true to myself.

You gotta love Jan!! I have a wonderful support group here called New Year New You 2011. I found them last year and they have helped me to keep going, not give up. What started out as a challenge became a group of friends encouraging and commiserating~ whatever is needed. I just love them! Check us out, too.

I've had some great weight loss with JUDDD and many other improvements as well. I told myself when I started, it didn't matter how slowly I lose as long as I'm going in the right direction. I need to live up to my own hype, right?

Love your start date, I can relate. On a random note, DH and I were in Amarillo a few years ago, having three snow days ourselves due to an ice storm and I-40 shutting down. When it finally opened it took us 8 hours to get to Tucumcari (140 mi) where we spent New Years Eve. My Eldest DD is in Arkansas right now going stir crazy with her DH and two daughters and LOTS of snow. Enjoy your day off!
Old 02-09-2011, 09:11 AM   #175
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MagieDen
Stats: 200's/1st. Goal Wt: 199 lbs.
WOE: Low Carb My Way!
Start Date: Monday! :)
Quote:
Happy Wednesday! Thank you Jan, Christine and Dawn for checking in with me, much appreciated!

SO~ I'm going to try and stay ultra low carb for a few days and try to jumpstart weight loss again. I don't know why I keep stalling but I will move forward.

I have to admit I'm feeling sort of melacholy (and just a bit freaked). What if this is it? What if I've lost all I'm going to lose? What if this a repeat of last year. Five pounds down, then up, then down, up, down, up..... ad nauseum. I know I need to give the low carb thing a good try, before I completely panic.
You are doing it Blonde, just keep it up and you will accomplish all that you set out to do.
MagieDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:13 AM   #176
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagieDen View Post
You are doing it Blonde, just keep it up and you will accomplish all that you set out to do.
Thanks Maggie May! Hugs to you too!! I'm keeping on keeping on!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #177
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the invite to the New Year, New You. I will definitely check it out. Support is very important in this journey and I really need some motivation most days.

Amarillo and snow go hand in hand and there is nothing more butt clenching than driving on snow and ice. Well, having your kids drive on snow and ice is more butt clenching.... I saw that pretty much the whole state of Arkansas is under snow!

Trying to maintain my DD while stuck here at home. Not the easiest thing I've ever done!

Laura
Old 02-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #178
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Don't give up! You are doing great. You have not lost all that you are going to lose. If I can keep up with this whole up, down & all around with the scale jumping, you can do it! If you want I can post you some more of my daily weights to show you what has been happening to me. Remember...I am the one that it took a year to lose 15 pounds.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #179
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Up day today. Yay!

I need to say how amazing and special it is to have such help and encouragement here. I do not ever take it for granted and I'm humbled by the responses I get, the fellowship, advice, pats on the back and occasional (needed) kicks to the pants. I feel so lucky to have made such wonderful online friends, so fortunate to be able to open up and be honest with them and myself, to face this thing head on with my eyes open instead of retreating into a bag of chips. Thank you.

Dawn~ it must be torture to lose so slowly, and you have a year on me. I'll try to be more patient and remember the benefits are more than just weight loss. You keep reminding me to not wimp out after a couple of weeks! Thanks.

Laura, I'm glad you looked us up at New Year, New You. A great group! I hope you'll stay in touch with me. I get the stuck at home thing. I try to stay as busy as possible on DD's and away from home or out in my garden, if I can. Reading is good too, but TV makes me want to eat! Stay warm and off the ice.

It's been very warm in the afternoons but mornings are cold enough to need a fire in the wood stove. There is a hard frost on the rooftops this morning and I won't want to garden until after lunchtime. I'm off work today and I plan on doing a little painting. I bought some terra cotta pots at the dollar store for...$1 each. They are about 2 1/2 quarts in size and new so I just have to seal them then paint away. Not sure what yet...bright or cottagey? I dunno, I'll have to check my paint supplies.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #180
Senior LCF Member

Okay, I really feel you need to post some pictures of your garden! My husband and I love to work in the yard and yesterday I was looking over things (from the window) and am worried about what the snow/ice this year has done to our plants. Cannot wait for the weather to warm up so we can dig in the dirt!

I managed my DD very well yesterday and have a glorious UD today. Do you count anything on your UDs? I am counting calories and trying to keep them around 1700. When I have done JUDDD before, crazy UDs on my part have kept the weight loss low and I end up quitting. It may just be a fact of my life that I have to count what goes in my piehole!

Laura