Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #1591
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
In case, I don't have time to drop in tomo. I am coming by tonight, to say, "I hope that you are feeling better." Geez, seems like you have been hit hard lately. Take care friend!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #1592
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/226.6/125
WOE: Currently 5:2 w/ a 3rd all fruit & veg day
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Thank you Christine. Better today, still not 100%.

Hi Sunday, yes when it rains it pours! First the UTI, then the head cold. Mostly praying It stays out of my chest! I caught up on the PHD Thread, man that travels fast!
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #1593
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Bummer about not feeling better completely..nasty stuff this year.. DD18 had it this week and is trying to get going herself...missing too much class is not good for her. Hope you get to back to feeling like your old self again soon!

Sunday, love your new avi. Too cute!
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #1594
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGurl View Post
Sunday, love your new avi. Too cute!
Did you ever play Hungry, Hungry Hippos?

It made me laugh when I saw it, so I thought it would be great avi.

Blonde, I have just added Swiss Chard to my veggies and I am loving it! OMG! I never knew it could taste so good. The reason I brought this up is when I went to search for good recipes with swiss chard, I found an excellent WW soup, Chicken & Swiss Chard. It says 6 pts for 2 cups. Does that sound okay? I am gonna make it and will let you know what I think! Would this help bring you back to life?

Quick Chicken Soup with Carrots, Beans and Chard

6 Points Plus Per Serving — Individual Serving is 2 Heaping Cups — Serves 6

Ingredients
•1 tablespoon olive oil
•6 to 8 medium cloves garlic, chopped
•2 large yellow onions, chopped
•4 to 5 medium carrots, cut into ¼” rounds
•1 tablespoon tomato paste
•½ pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into small chunks
•2 teaspoons kosher salt (plus more to taste)
•1 sprig fresh thyme
•1 bay leaf
•6 whole black peppercorns
•3 cups cooked white beans (or 2 14.5-ounce cans rinsed and drained)
•4 cups chicken stock or broth
•4 cups water
•1 head Swiss Chard, stems removed, cut into small pieces
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
Old 02-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #1595
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Danielle~ yeah it's lousy. I've tried so hard to not get anything this year, but as you said it's nasty and it's rampant. I took a shower and put on my face because I could not stand to look at 'sick me' another minute. That in itself helped me, mentally anyway.

Sunday, that recipes looks sooo good, I like everything in it. By coincidence, I'm sipping a mug of Progresso low sodium chicken and wild rice soup that has about the same amount of points. 6 for two cups is good...who can eat only one cup of soup?? Trying to follow the teachings of PHD and doing WW is working fairly well together. I love the safe starches and I'm so happy to be off the low carb kick. I could not sustain it.
6/27~226.6
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Old 02-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #1596
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well you know I am not supposed to have beans on PHD, but I haven't quite eliminated them yet. I decided I will allow black beans & blackeye peas randomly. Not weekly or even bi-weekly, but when I just must have the chili beans or mexican black beans.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #1597
Blabbermouth!!!

Yeah, when I was sick I tried hard to get ready for my day so I didn't have the sick face so much..some days it was a lost cause and no amount of make up or hair pulling was gonna hide the sickness

Sunday, yes that's why I thought it was funny!
Old 02-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #1598
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, I think following the 90/10 rule is good no matter which way you eat. 90% most of the time with 10% for the occasional 'off plan' treats. I've never been a "big" lover of beans, but I won't turn down the occasional chili or refrieds.

I saw a crock pot post for chicken apple stew on HG. Lots of apples and carrots. 6 point for two cups.

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
1 tbsp. cornstarch
2 tbsp. cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp. chopped garlic
1 tsp. dried parsley
1 1/2 lbs. raw boneless skinless chicken breast
1/4 tsp. each salt and black pepper
3 cups peeled and chopped Fuji apples
2 cups carrots cut into 1/2-inch coins
2 cups roughly chopped celery
1 cup roughly chopped onion
6 slices center-cut bacon or turkey bacon
Optional seasoning: additional salt

The bacon gets cooked at the end and added as a topping to your bowl. I could totally eat this too.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:37 AM   #1599
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
I am not a fan of soy but the eden organic black soybeans are a good low carb bean sub, if making chili or something, I use them and they are good, I just try to avoid too much soy so I drink whey protein shakes, and try to avoid crap with soy in it!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:25 AM   #1600
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dani~these young girls at work show up sans makeup when they are supposedly "sick". You and I both know they would look better with the face on. They're not fooling anyone...

Amber~ I've never tried black soy beans. Are they good? I always make a 'no-bean' chili if I can't have any regular beans. How was your week?

Well being sick sucks, but I did lose 2.2lbs this week. I hit the 210 number again! I may bounce up but at least I've hit it twice now. It's almost mine to keep for a bit. I want to hit the 199 marker, that's as low as I got with JUDDD before I lapsed.

Feeling a bit better, my nose is still stuffed up but at least it's not running non-stop. This morning I coughed and it hurt in my upper chest, so more Mucinex. I don't think it settled into my lungs, so that's good news for me.

I do have to go out today for a few supplies and more butternut squash (I really am addicted). I haven't had any wine since last Friday and I'm still going to 'skip it' for awhile...I think I do better without it. I wrote this paragraph in my friends Laura's journal and thought I'd bring it here to remind me:

While WW isn't fast fast fast (hardly) I am learning a few things about myself and food. Like how if I eat better, I feel better. How I can have anything just not all at once. Like how the scale is gonna bounce up and down like a ball..but as long as the trend is downward it's okay. Everyday is a new day. Heck, every meal is a new day. It's not like low carb...you know when you mess up and you throw everything out of whack? For days?? This is much more forgiving. No metabolic craziness to overcome. Can I eat anything? No not really. There are some foods that trigger cravings and seem to turn off my 'good intentions" so I try to avoid those, But most anything is okay to have in moderation. Heavy lunch? Go lighter at dinner. Out of points? Fill up on veggies, though I try not to get to that. Do I go over? All the time but not as often as I used to (like everyday without a plan). Me and WW are not exactly friends but we are getting along okay.

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 02-22-2013 at 06:31 AM..
Old 02-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #1601
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post

While WW isn't fast fast fast (hardly) I am learning a few things about myself and food. Like how if I eat better, I feel better. How I can have anything just not all at once. Like how the scale is gonna bounce up and down like a ball..but as long as the trend is downward it's okay. Everyday is a new day. Heck, every meal is a new day. It's not like low carb...you know when you mess up and you throw everything out of whack? For days?? This is much more forgiving. No metabolic craziness to overcome. Can I eat anything? No not really. There are some foods that trigger cravings and seem to turn off my 'good intentions" so I try to avoid those, But most anything is okay to have in moderation. Heavy lunch? Go lighter at dinner. Out of points? Fill up on veggies, though I try not to get to that. Do I go over? All the time but not as often as I used to (like everyday without a plan). Me and WW are not exactly friends but we are getting along okay.
Agree whole heartedly. I just like the idea that it's a plan that you can live with no matter what....vacation, holiday, etc. As soon as I get it through my head that I have to track everything everyday, it will get easier. I also have some foods I need to avoid...trigger cravings.

Glad to hear you're feeling a bit bitter.
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #1602
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Sherrie~ I know it's hard to track sometimes, especially when you've gone 'over'. Sometimes I have to go back to the day before and add stuff in, but I do...no matter how bad it is. When you look at the progress reports it will give you an average of daily points etc, and when you see that it doesn't seem so bad. Every time I've failed (quit) WW it's because I wouldn't track my points. This is actually the longest time for me and it's working, albeit slowly. If I ever get to a place where I just am sick of tracking I'll switch to Simply fulfilling technique. I think though that it's much better for me to be accountable with the point system.

Hang in there girly, you've got a good solid week behind you. Just make the best choices you can, and if you are off plan it's not the end of the world...just get back on at the very next meal/snack. You can do it!
Old 02-23-2013, 05:36 AM   #1603
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Hope you have a wonderful Saturday, Blonde!
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #1604
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Saturday Morning~ I slept for like...11 hours. I guess I was trying to catch up since I was up all night on Tuesday/Wednesday. I'm coughing now and it sounds awful but I am feeling better. The sun is shining, the sky is clear blue and I think I need to get outside for a little walk about. a slow walkabout.

Had a good Friday. I stayed within my points and nixed the wine. A definite leap forward from my usual Friday. I had salmon for lunch yesterday and a little cube steak and veggies for dinner. I went out and bought more butternut squash...big surprise. This former low carb gal has apples in the crisper! I hopped on the scale this morning (bad idea) but was still at 210 so it's sticking this time.! Yay! I'm going to stay excited because this may be the last drop I see for a few weeks...it seems to roll that way.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #1605
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Hooray for a sticky weight! Great job!
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #1606
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellgee
Quick drive by. I'm good. Heading out with DH. Will write later.
ellgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #1607
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MagieDen
Stats: Lots/Less/Goal-135 lbs.
Way to go on the new low on the scale. You are doing great!
MagieDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:28 AM   #1608

Yeah for weight loss!!! have a great week Blonde and keep at it!!!!
Old 02-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #1609
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Christine, Maggie, Amber~ Thanks for the KUDOS!

Laura~ Hi hi hi! Can't wait to hear from you.

I made it through another day on point. No wine. Two things I seem to have no control over once I start...wine and....nuts. I haven't had almonds in what seems like forever. I had 1/2 serving of french fries for lunch and carnitas tacos for dinner and still came in on point! Good for me. I don't usually eat fries but we had been out and about, no lunch and DH bought fries. I was unable to resist.

Last week I resumed having GF toast with my breakfast and still lost a little weight so I'm thinking that yeah, the wine is a bad idea. Another thing I'm thinking is the absence of wheat in my diet is the best thing I've ever done for myself. I don't crave cookies, or cake or pastries. I could buy GF cookies as a treat but I'm truly not interested. Pizza? Meh. I've made ersatz-pizza a couple of times using GF wraps as the crust but it's not the same and therefore not something I crave. This is kind of amazing when I think about all the "non-wheat" substitutes I looked for when I originally stopped. I was kind of desperate then. Now? Not so much. I do enjoy my GF toast, but mainly because it's low-cal (44 per slice). My cheese consumption has lessened enormously. It's very high points so I usually resort to a slice of 2% or a wedge of laughing cow instead of the full fat stuff. The biggest change is the fact that I'm not starving all the time. In the beginning it was so frustrating to be hungry and have to think about what to eat and it's point value and just want to shove some food in, any food, you know? I have adapted, I've found some go-to foods in a pinch~ GF toast, raw or cooked veggies, a few green olives, fruit and yogurt...or a quick spud with greek yogurt. All these things step in to take away the starved feeling, plus I plan my meals more...I know what I'm having! That's huge. My eldest DD loves the 'treats' that WW allows. She's all about the WW points of chocolate, or little cookies. I'm just happy to have some carbs.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #1610
Blabbermouth!!!

I couldn've sworn I posted to you on Friday morning regarding your loss for the week.. W.T.F. ... anywho, I'll say it again.. Big congrat's on the loss you are doing fantastic!

I love that you are slowly figuring out what is going to work and not going to work with WW.. I have a girlfriend who opted to start WW again and did it for all of last week.. she absolutely hated every moment of it. She says she hates tracking. I get it. But isn't any kind of attempt at weight loss tracking *something*??? Maybe that's just my view, I dunno... She says she's not gonna do it anymore and just accept herself the way she is. Umm, ok? It sounds like you are slowly figuring out what you can handle and not and be honest about it all. Also, I think accepting that things can take time to figure out is a big thing, something that can lead to total success IMO. We all have our "thing" to figure out and once we do I think we end up on the right path that will lead us to either contentment, major weight loss, or both. Right now I've got the contentment thing figured out...just waiting for that blasted weight loss thing to come find me

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
Old 02-25-2013, 03:41 AM   #1611

Magie- I love the new avi!!! that made me roll!!!!!

Blonde- sounds like you are adapting, like I know I cant have trail mixes of any kind in the house, when buy them I snarf the whole thing in like 2 days I go weeks and then get a hankering and ughghg, that is my biggest problem!!! I dont know what I am going to do the scale is not moving just the same up and down, maybe after getting settled and at Mom's I will join the gym there that has a bunch of classes maybe some different exercise and I still have to train for the run in May, but something I am eating is not right I keep tracking and tracking it makes no sense!!!!!

Here is to a good week!
Old 02-25-2013, 06:39 AM   #1612
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dani~ I'm sure you did too, maybe it was in someone else's journal. No worries, I know you've got my back. Re: your WW friend. I know exactly what she's saying and that has been my MO with WW in the past. It took a solid commitment and a 'no quit' attitude for me to get this far. Actually Laura (Ellgee) said she was giving it a year and I decided that was a really good idea. It's only as hard as I make it. Realizing that some foods are never gonna fly is difficult, and looking back, the first few weeks were really hard. It takes time to plan and get it all together. I hope she doesn't give up on herself. I'm losing on the average...less than a pound a week but it could easily have been me, gaining a little less than a pound a week. If given the choice, I want to lose it. I know you have the 'commitment thing' down pat, that's what it's going to take to succeed.

Amber~ I once ate a bag a of trail mix, then promptly forgot that I ate it. Your life is a bit topsy turvy right now, things will settle down soon. Keep pushing forward, you've come so far. It sucks that it has to be so hard.

I so appreciate this forum, for being here, for allowing us all to connect and help each other. It's not just being accountable, it's the honest friendship and feedback. We all know what we're struggling with and we can honestly commiserate with each other and offer sound advice and encouragement.

Had some wine yesterday while DD helped me do my hair coloring. Yikes. Well it's blonde. I lost my hairdresser (she quit working for awhile) and the last person I went to did a poor job. I was originally (in my youth) a deep brunette...over the years I have gotten very grey (white actually). I finally stopped fighting the white and went lighter but I still have places that are very brunette. It's a helluva an issue, with complications. The color looks great but my hair feels pretty dry. I will need to be very gentle with it for awhile....

Work today after being off all last week sick. I got a nice walk in yesterday when DD's little dog wandered off. The whole family split out and started walking and calling and whistling. I had circled the whole block and was coming back down a side street when DD pulled up with the dog in the car. I just about cried. Where was he? In our garage, eating cat food.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #1613
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I like your white hair Blonde, it is very pretty.

Amber - I thought this was funny as well, maybe it can help me to remember to stick with the program and get some weight off.

Last edited by MagieDen; 02-25-2013 at 09:11 AM..
Old 02-26-2013, 04:05 AM   #1614

That is a fat mouse in the pic Magie, sort of freaky, LOL

Blonde- well yeah to blonde hair, I swear I will always be blonde I went dark once and I was like who the heck is that??? Freaked me right out!

I did not shove any carb laden food down my gullet yesterday, thank God!
Old 02-26-2013, 04:56 AM   #1615
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Amber it looks more like a rat! The cat looks like me, always trying to remember that portions count in weightloss as well.

Last edited by MagieDen; 02-26-2013 at 05:08 AM..
Old 02-26-2013, 06:37 AM   #1616
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Morning Mags , Amber

Feeling better everyday. Worked yesterday and came home and crashed hard but it was good. This "cold/flu" bug could have been so much worse. I'm grateful it didn't trigger asthma! That's what usually happens.

Stayed close to points yesterday (went over about 4) but I still have lots of weekly and exercise points. This is really good for me. My weigh in is on Fridays and I've typically raided my weekly points pretty well by Sunday night. I'm either eating better, or planning better...either way I'm doing better than before.

Work today!

B: GF toast w/ egg and 2% cheese

L: Big Salad (chicken or salmon)

D: Extra lean burger n potatoes

S: Yogurt/apple/banana?

It's cold here this morning, 35 degrees with an expected high of 71. I'll take it!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:16 AM   #1617
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm a purist when it comes to butternut, but this sounded really yummy! From HG

Super Savory Butternut Squash Casserole

Ingredients

3 slices center-cut bacon or turkey bacon

1 1/2 cups chopped sweet onion

1 tbsp. light whipped butter or light buttery spread

1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

3/4 tsp. salt

8 cups cubed butternut squash

1 tsp. chopped garlic

1/4 tsp. black pepper

3 wedges The Laughing Cow Light Creamy Swiss cheese

Directions

Cook bacon until crispy, either in a skillet over medium heat or on a microwave-safe plate in the microwave. (See package for cook time.)

Bring a large skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Add onion, butter, and cayenne pepper. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. salt. Cook and stir until slightly softened, 3 - 5 minutes.

Reduce heat to medium low. Stirring frequently, cook until browned and caramelized, 20 - 25 minutes. Remove from heat.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add squash and cook until very tender, 10 - 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray an 8" X 8" baking pan with nonstick spray.

Drain squash, and transfer to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher.

To the large bowl, add garlic, black pepper, and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt. Add cheese wedges, breaking them into pieces, and mix well.

Evenly transfer squash mixture to the baking pan, and top with caramelized onion. Chop or crumble cooked bacon, and sprinkle over the onion.

Bake until entire dish is hot, about 15 minutes. Serve and enjoy!

Makes 6 servings ~1/6th of recipe (about 3/4 cup): 143 calories, 3g fat, 492mg sodium, 26.5g carbs, 4g fiber, 6.5g sugars, 4.5g protein

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 02-26-2013 at 07:18 AM..
Old 02-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #1618
Blabbermouth!!!

I am so glad that you are getting a little better.. can relate to the asthma stuff after sickness..we go through it with DD16 nearly every time. It's exhausting!

You are definitely working your plan and finding the ways to make it work. So awesome to see! Regarding my girlfriend..I am really hoping that she will change her mind and decide to work through it. She is such a strong person, smart, and always so sure of herself. I don't know why weight loss is one aspect that alludes her..I know she is capable of doing it, we both lost nearly the same amount of weight together (80+lbs) years ago..She is so comfortable in who she is, it's a trait that I truly admire about her..something that took me years to find on my own but finally glad I did. She deserves this success too, like everything else she has worked so hard for. So frustrating, I just wanna shake her and say, wake up, believe in yourself as much as I do!!!
Old 02-26-2013, 08:40 AM   #1619
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dani~ It seems so simple. Eat less, lose weight. But then factoring in all the emotional turmoil, physical trauma, bad memories or a rotten childhood~ these things can influence/control how we deal with food. I believe it's possible to accept oneself. as is, but I also believe that to truly do so releases so much of the above issues from us that weight is no longer a problem. That's why so many of us here are 40, 50, 60+ and having successes (or at least striving to succeed). We have reached a place where past is simply...past. We want to be healthy and fit. I remember a time, many years ago, I stopped going to the beach, a place I adored, because I couldn't (wouldn't) wear a bathing suit. It never occurred to me to wear shorts. Today I'll walk the beach in shorts and a tank, I don't care if I jiggle, I don't care who's looking, or if I have cellulite. It's so much easier, happier to step outside myself. I can honestly say if I could look good in a bikini, I still wouldn't wear one anymore. That's not what I'm looking for. My mom used to say, 'if I knew then what I know now'...I now understand that. I also get the saying "Youth is wasted on the young"! But I digress (and ramble apparently). Your friend will find her way and when she's ready you'll be there to help her.

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 02-26-2013 at 08:54 AM..
Old 02-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #1620
Blabbermouth!!!

No, I know it's not "simple. Not by a long shot. If it were simple I would have kept off the 80lbs I lost 10 years ago and never looked back. I guess what I hope is that my bestie can work through her mental stuff enough to see that she can do this if she WANTS to. I get that you have to want it in order to see it through..we all have our various reasons for wanting it..medical musts all the way to shallow and frivalous(sp?)..I know she has to work it out, I can't want it for her and somehow she will find a way. If she wants it bad enough, that is. I know her saying she's done with it, giving up, gonna just be how I am is her venting her frustrations for the most part..I know she wants more for herself physically and how she looks..she will figure it out in her own time. We all have our way of getting there, some a hard road that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

....and yes, youth is definitely wasted on the young. I'm determined tho to go into the next chapter of my life swinging...LOUDLY. Music blaring, beer flowing, and loving every moment.