Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JK130
Stats: 280/152/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: 7.1.09
i so hear you blonde, both about skimpy clothing and exercise. i was mortified to do anything outside of my house...last year i tried anyway (baby steps). i wore a swimsuit. i started exercising at a gym. i bought tighter clothing.

here's what i found out...nobody else cares...nobody looked at me...nobody laughed at me.

i still have plenty of new horizons to conquer (i'm afraid to wear a dress or skirt) but i'm here to encourage you...buy a swimsuit. don't worry if it's the most flattering garment ever. (i also bought men's swim trunks to wear on top. they covered to the knee. good for playing in the pool, and easily removable if you are actually swimming). wear whatever you need to feel modest to the edge of the pool (or even into it like i did).

nobody cares. really!! if you lined up all of the people in your gym, you would see a huge variety in shape, fitness levels, weight and age. MAYBE some would look "perfect" whatever that is, but most likely they all have some personal issues. you know how you admire others for getting started, and working to get healthier? well, people would admire you too!

AND, if anyone dares snicker at your efforts...you just let Mama Jan know....my Teacher Look IS most excellent.

You GO girl! It doesn't have to be swimming if the suit thing is too intimidating now...but do what YOU want, and don't let what others MIGHT think slow you down!!!

and btw - up days kick my tush big time
JK130 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2011, 07:46 AM   #122
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/226.6/125
WOE: Currently 5:2 w/ a 3rd all fruit & veg day
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Thanks Jan!!! I'm sure you're right on all counts. I like the mens swim (board shorts) trunks idea, I just need a new suit to go under it. I think I could do that without feeling weird. Lane Bryant has some nice suits with "underwire" support, but you would not believe what they are asking for those (150+)!!! I love to walk under any circumstances and I need to develop a "just get out there and do it" attitude. I know you're right, nobody cares about me at the gym, I'm just one more person working it off. I so don't want to see your "teacher" look! I have to admit though, when I see a very heavy person trying to do floor exercises with a trainer at the gym, I think to myself "no way, not me, not for a million bucks"....why do trainers want to put us on the floor? I need to be able to eat right and exercise, together. It seems I can only do one or the other. Even my DH suggested that "moving around more" might help with the scale.

Why are Up days so hard? It's like I have no control over myself. Well maybe not as bad as all that, but I'm not losing on the scale so it must be me, right? I think it's important that I start to plan my UD's just like I plan my down days. I find that I'm eating a lot less fat than when I was doing straight low carb. Fat has lots of calories which I avoid on DDs. This morning I had 60 cals worth of egg beaters and an 80 cal slice of high protein toast instead of the usual two boiled eggs. I'll have my chicken salad tonight for dinner.

I'm working today and that always makes it DD's easier. I walk and lift very heavy trays all during my shift, coming to and going away from the tables. I love the work, the physical aspect of it and of course I love people. It's like getting paid to do what I do at home, anyway.
6/27~226.6
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:11 AM   #123
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Planning might just be the missing link on the UDs, Blonde! It seems like you do really well with the structure of the DD, so if you can parlay that into your UD, I bet you'll be fine!
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:24 PM   #124
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Princessdmw33
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: November, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineCQ View Post
Planning might just be the missing link on the UDs, Blonde! It seems like you do really well with the structure of the DD, so if you can parlay that into your UD, I bet you'll be fine!
Good advice!
Princessdmw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #125
Major LCF Poster!

inquiring minds want to know why you think you aren't already involved in an exercise program since indeed you DO work out by walking and carrying all those heavy things!?? wtg!!!
Old 01-25-2011, 05:47 AM   #126
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I want to know that, too, Jan! Lifting, bending, walking......seems like a good workout to me!
Old 01-25-2011, 06:23 AM   #127
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaay View Post
inquiring minds want to know why you think you aren't already involved in an exercise program since indeed you DO work out by walking and carrying all those heavy things!?? wtg!!!

That's a good question, Jan! Why indeed? Perhaps I have an antiquated idea of what "exercise" means...I should give myself a little bit of "E" credits for work days.

Christine, yep I think I need to work a good plan on my UD's. DD's are very structured and I get an incredibly good feeling at the successful completion of each DD. I woke up this morning feeling flat bellied and empty and I loved it!

This morning I will walk at the park!
Old 01-25-2011, 07:28 AM   #128
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

UD Breakfast: Southwestern Omelet & coffee: 270 Cals (vlc)
Old 01-25-2011, 06:27 PM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

i hope you got to walk today, and that it felt wonderful
Old 01-27-2011, 06:40 AM   #130
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
i hope you got to walk today, and that it felt wonderful
That must have been Tuesday, right?? I did some "mall-walking"...does that count?

Yesterday was a down day and I did just fine. I'm actually very proud of the way I handle my hunger with positive thoughts, hot tea, and dreams of UD breakfast...so today is the up day and I haven't eaten yet, because I'm not hungry yet....weird. It is dry and cold this morning but will be a nice 76-80 later today. Sounds like a perfect day to get outside and clean off my patio...maybe.

I don't plan on weighing until Monday morning and I'm crossing my fingers for the scale to budge. We'll see. Good thing I feel so good after a down day...this is the kind of thing that makes people walk away from their "plans", but I'm not gaining and so the trend is downward and that's what matters. right?
Old 01-27-2011, 06:49 AM   #131
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes! That's exactly what matters! I think this is an important experience because you're seeing that -- when the time comes for you to maintain -- you CAN do it. You already have a plan for maintenance! So you'll trend downward to your "set point," and while many, many people will struggle with maintaining that point, you will not. You've already figured it out!!

I'm so glad you're feeling good and managing your plan. You are inspiring, my friend!
Old 01-27-2011, 07:08 AM   #132
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineCQ View Post
Yes! That's exactly what matters! I think this is an important experience because you're seeing that -- when the time comes for you to maintain -- you CAN do it. You already have a plan for maintenance! So you'll trend downward to your "set point," and while many, many people will struggle with maintaining that point, you will not. You've already figured it out!!

I'm so glad you're feeling good and managing your plan. You are inspiring, my friend!
Thank you my friend! I can't express how important my low carb friends have become to me, and what a pivotal role you all play.

Excerpt from JUDDD recipes: I'm having some trouble with the tracking (of UD calories) and I'll tell you why (no excuses, just facts) This is the first time in my life that I've attempted to count calories. I've always done low carb and when I was young and strict and skinny I was really good at counting carbs and remaining thin...now I'm kinda lost. I'm not used to thinking about calories and my DDs have made me painfully aware of how many calories I was probably taking in before JUDDD, even though I was low carbing it (and not losing any weight). I need to make a better effort at planning my meals in advance (just like on DD's) and getting a calorie count (as well as total carbs) in advance. I don't have real judgment skills when it comes to this. I realize that low carbing can become very high calorie with all the added fats and cheeses etc, so I'm thinking that I should really up my veggie intake on UD's...? That does seem like it would help keep calories down...

I wrote this in response to my own complaints of no weight loss for three weeks. It was suggested that my UD calories were more than I could have to continue to lose and that I was eating at maintenance level. Because I'm currently inept at counting calories I think I need to go to calorie "bootcamp".
Old 01-27-2011, 08:50 AM   #133
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, I just spent an enormous amount of research on calories at my favorite eateries and got lots of great info! Cool.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:32 PM   #134
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I can only say this here...arrgh!

I hate counting calories, I hate thinking about counting calories, I hate thinking about the food that falls within caloric boundaries I've have set (or not) for myself...it reminds me again of how I felt on weight watchers..totally and completely obsessed by food and it's pointsNO NO NO. (Except on my DD's) This will not do.

It's so much easier to think about carbs. Does it have carbs? NO? Then have some. Is it carb free? Yeah? Eat it. Are you full now? Oh yeah, I'm stuffed. I will make this work, I know I need to plan for my up days. I need to plan good low carb meals. That's that. The end. There it is.

(This revelation comes after two hours of research and another six thinking about calories)

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 01-27-2011 at 02:33 PM..
Old 01-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #135
Major LCF Poster!

laughing here...WITH you friend, not AT you. no. no. no.

you WILL get control of the up days. I BELIEVE in you! and, we shall all learn from you.

thank you very much

are we having fun with this dieting thing yet?
Old 01-28-2011, 04:15 AM   #136
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

(drums fingers waiting for fun to begin)
Old 01-28-2011, 04:51 AM   #137
Major LCF Poster!

If anyone understands the frustrations of not losing, I do. I have figured out how to maintain that is for sure and still have an issue with someone trying to tell my that my calories are too high but that is me. I know on some days that they may be but overall I do not think so.

Stick with me girl and we will get through these lack of weight loss together.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:17 AM   #138
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
laughing here...WITH you friend, not AT you. no. no. no.

you WILL get control of the up days. I BELIEVE in you! and, we shall all learn from you.

thank you very much

are we having fun with this dieting thing yet?
Thanks Jan, I needed a laugh! It wasn't funny yesterday but today it's hilarious, but still true....

Christine, you made me laugh too! I got a picture of daffy duck, drumming his fingers after being thwarted (lisp intended) by the Rabbit...yet again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princessdmw33 View Post
If anyone understands the frustrations of not losing, I do. I have figured out how to maintain that is for sure and still have an issue with someone trying to tell my that my calories are too high but that is me. I know on some days that they may be but overall I do not think so.

Stick with me girl and we will get through these lack of weight loss together.
Dawn, thank you too. I think I need to go back and re-read some of my own smaltz.

OMG I love you girls!! I mean it. How is it possible to connect so deeply with people you've never met? I will get a handle on this, I will lose more scale weight, I will figure out how much I can eat and still lose weight, and still feel great. No, I guess it's not fun, but it is rewarding (sometimes) and life changing (soon) and character building. I am a character, I'll admit but so are youz guys! Big hugs back at you all!!
Old 01-28-2011, 09:23 AM   #139
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Thanks Jan, I needed a laugh! It wasn't funny yesterday but today it's hilarious, but still true....

Christine, you made me laugh too! I got a picture of daffy duck, drumming his fingers after being thwarted (lisp intended) by the Rabbit...yet again.

Dawn, thank you too. I think I need to go back and re-read some of my own smaltz.

OMG I love you girls!! I mean it. How is it possible to connect so deeply with people you've never met? I will get a handle on this, I will lose more scale weight, I will figure out how much I can eat and still lose weight, and still feel great. No, I guess it's not fun, but it is rewarding (sometimes) and life changing (soon) and character building. I am a character, I'll admit but so are youz guys! Big hugs back at you all!!
The feeling is mutual! I connected with quite a few on a Step Mom site that I belong to and ended up meeting some of them over the years. I just met up with two of them while I was in Michigan. The one time a friend of mine that I have connected with lives in Long Island and we had to go to NYC to see my step son dance and she allowed myself, my husband and daughter to use her apartment so we didn't have to pay for an expensive hotel. Never met me in person until that day! Now that is trust!

Dawn

The best predictor of future behavior is relevant past behavior.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #140
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I was re-reading some of my old posts and I may have pinpointed at least part of the problem: I had gone to a friends for dinner and I stated that I ate some things I don't "normally" eat. Well there it is. I have been eating things I don't normally eat, on my UD's. Things I never touched while "low-carbing". I have a lot to think about.

I'm leaving for a day trip to the mountains to meet my friend and rattle around some junk shops, etc. Thanks again for your support, it means so much!
Old 01-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #141
Major LCF Poster!

You are doing awesome!!!! Enjoy that trip to the mountains and think of me cold in NY.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:31 AM   #142
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Monday Morning ~222.5

Finally a breakthrough! 2lbs + the .5 I gained. Yay!
Old 01-31-2011, 08:22 AM   #143
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ROCKSTAR!!!!!! Good for you! You must be thrilled!!!
Old 01-31-2011, 10:03 AM   #144
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Christine! Yes!! I now have 3lbs to go to make my short term goal of 20lbs by Feb 14th.

Thanks SO MUCH for your support!
Old 01-31-2011, 10:09 AM   #145
Major LCF Poster!

Old 01-31-2011, 06:27 PM   #146
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princessdmw33 View Post
Thank you Dawn

Love it!!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 09:09 AM   #147
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

(Re-posted from JUDDD recipes thread)

Today is a down day for me as well, and that makes reading these recipes a little rough. Is that my stomach gurgling?

I have Shiritaki noodles, 40 cals for the whole package...I still haven't tried them. I think I'm "askeered" to try them. Probably today with some miso soup.

I had a different breakfast than normal...15 cals worth of Southwestern eggbeaters (that's all I had) and 1/2 of a 110 cal bagel thin...so what"s that, 70 calories?

Lunch: Miso soup w/shiritaki noodles? 65 cals

Dinner: Chicken breast w/romaine (a lot of romaine) Walden Farms Bacon Ranch dressing, Herdez salsa, red wine vinegar: Approx: 240-250 cals.

This way of dressing my salad is not bad with the spicy salsa added to it. I used to be a big "Ranch dressing" fan, but after two months of JUDDD, I've adapted to this way of dressing my salad, even on my UD's. Yesterday I had a grilled chicken caesar salad at a cafe with a few drops of oil and vinegar (Balsamic vinegar) and tobasco sauce, cuz that's what was available. I am picky about greens. I love romaine, spinach and butter lettuce but radichio and bitter greens are not my favs. BTW, the original Caesar as prepared would have been 850 calories! Take out the dressing and the croutons and it's around 350 to 400. What a difference!!

I find it interesting that I used to believe I couldn't eat a salad unless it was swimming in mayo or ranch, or loaded with shredded cheese. Of course shredded cheese and high fat dressings don't fit into my DD's at all. They would take all of my allotted calories. This is a good thing and it seems to be a "good" habit that I'm making.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #148
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

As I jump around between threads I have found a "common note" of disenchantment regarding this or that "plan"...such as, "I'm dropping out because I only lost 1 pound this week", or "I can't do this it's too hard" or "this isn't working as fast as I'd hoped"....and I was once one of those "drop-outs". I could tell myself anythingto get out of a challenge or to make excuses for stuff. As I've come to know so many people at low carb friends, it's seems obvious that the "successful" ones are the ones that keep on day after day, or have set backs and get right back on track. These are the ones who laugh at there little "Oops, I fell off" and then come back to try again. For heavens sake, if you're allergic to eggs or they make you sick, don't eat them. If you don't like fish, don't eat it. If you can't stand salads...well find another veggie. If shakes give you the shakes, eat some food. Excuses. I recognize them because I've used them myself. I understand completely NOT being ready for a challenge. Recognize it. Own it. Then get ready for it, when you can.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #149
Major LCF Poster!

SO TRUE!!!!
Old 02-02-2011, 06:03 AM   #150
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dawn, don't hate me, but...are you really going to take that baby away from your dog? I love that picture!!!