Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #1441
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/226.6/125
WOE: Currently 5:2 w/ a 3rd all fruit & veg day
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
The grandgirls are here today and we've had eggs and toast for breakfast and we'll be meeting my BFF later for lunch. They have cereal at home most mornings, DD works early and it's 'hurry hurry be ready to go'. They love having breakfast here and I love making it.

I'm actually relieved that everything starts new again today, I can look back over my week and see where I went wrong. I know I did the wine thing last night but I also pushed my points over, even a little bit everyday. I should have had more veggie and less 'processed' food. I'm getting there.....
6/27~226.6
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #1442
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MagieDen
Stats: Goal Wt-135 lbs! (-6 lbs.)
WOE: Stillman's - 18 days - Not my lifetime woe!
Start Date: 7/28/14 - 8/17/14
Whooo Hooo for a new week, that one pound gain will be history before the end of it!

Have a nice weekend Blonde.
MagieDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #1443
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagieDen View Post
Whooo Hooo for a new week, that one pound gain will be history before the end of it!

Have a nice weekend Blonde.
Ain't that the truth?

I don't know what I'm having for dinner but it'll be about 4 points worth.....
Old 01-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #1444
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MagieDen
Stats: Goal Wt-135 lbs! (-6 lbs.)
WOE: Stillman's - 18 days - Not my lifetime woe!
Start Date: 7/28/14 - 8/17/14
Maybe a stalk of celery? Nah you can have something a bit more than that I should think.
MagieDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:02 AM   #1445
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Hey blonde, I got busy this week and have been behind on the threads!!! Keep plugging along, I know it sucks when we try to be so careful and we cant seem to get a good number, but all these small choices add up!!!!

Glad you got to enjoy the kids!!!

Have a great weekend, I would take some SD rain!!! Snow ice, and its 8 this morning, ughghgh
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:03 AM   #1446

Hey blonde, I got busy this week and have been behind on the threads!!! Keep plugging along, I know it sucks when we try to be so careful and we cant seem to get a good number, but all these small choices add up!!!!

Glad you got to enjoy the kids!!!

Have a great weekend, I would take some SD rain!!! Snow ice, and its 8 degrees this morning, ughghgh
Old 01-26-2013, 05:33 AM   #1447
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Just dropping in to say hola! I am not bouncing much but I am staying steady, just one lb on UD and back down on DD. Don't think I will change anything just yet though. I really am enjoying 16/8.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:42 AM   #1448

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Subbing, not enough time to read now, but I was referred here to read about your journey going GF. I'll be back Monday.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:52 AM   #1449
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
In answer to my own question, apparently the foods I love the most are all in the nightshade family: tomatoes, peppers, white potatoes. There is no clear evidence or study (so I've read) to determine if nightshades exacerbate arthritis/joint pain, and one can do an elimination diet to see if it helps but there may be a placebo effect ie you think it will help so it does. IDK. No potatoes for me today anyway. I'll decide tomorrow if I wish to continue the potato DD or just do WW.
This sounds like another question for Jaminet. I am in with all of these myself. I don't have aches though.

You are doing well without wheat, so that is not the culprit? Just concerned that taters could be messing w/ RA?
Old 01-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #1450
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi there!!

Maggie~ No, I could eat a pound of celery with zero points...just don't try to put any peanut butter on it! I did eat a bunch of raw carrots, though.

Amber~ thank you! I am plugging along...still feeling hopeful. You are rockin' it girl! I so appreciate the skinny honeybadgers thread. Weighing in somewhere every week is something I've been missing. It's good to be accountable.

Keirasmom~ Welcome...it's a long journal! I stopped eating wheat somewhere back in December or November. In a nutshell...it was hard to stop, I had actual withdrawal feelings of sadness and despair. I felt depressed. I kept going and around weeks 5 and 6 I started to feel better about it. Since I've stopped my cravings for junk have subsided. My propensity to binge eat is gone. My body aches are way WAY better. Hip and joint pain that used to wake me up several times a night are gone. Belly bloat is gone. I still have some pain in my hands but not as bad. I'm very happy I kicked the wheat habit!

Sunday~ I'm so happy PHD is working for you! You feel good and you're losing weight! What more could we ask for? Wheat was definitely the culprit! (See above paragraph). Not eating it has changed my life. I do still have arthritis but that may be something that I can't change. I don't know what happened the other day, if it was potatoes or me fighting off some bug. I don't remember ever having a reaction to potatoes and I eat a lot of tomatoes and peppers. I'm not going to worry about, I need to go buy more potatoes!!
Old 01-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #1451
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have to run, but saw some interesting info regarding taters and allergies will be back this afternoon! Much hugs & Have a wonderful Sat!
Old 01-26-2013, 09:29 AM   #1452
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Sunday...as always, interested to hear what you have to say!
Old 01-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #1453
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Did some shopping, picked up some food...for us and the animals. I've been watching my behavior today. Picking and choosing what I eat, adding in some raw veggies and even a banana! I want to make WW work for me, I know that I can...it's just not as easy peasy as I thought. It takes way more thought than low carb, which I'm so familiar with but which isn't working for me anymore and hasn't in a long time. I know when I count calories (as in JUDDD) I do lose weight, no matter what type of food I'm eating. It's all learned behavior, even overeating is learned and therefore can be 'unlearned". I feel a bit like I'm starting over again in the world of 'eating'. To be perfectly honest, it was at this point that I gave up on WW the last time. I promised myself to see it through, I believe you can teach an old dog new tricks...just might take a little longer than a pup.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #1454
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I wish I could remember who did WW/JUDDD combo? They may have ideas to help you. I did WW for a very brief period. I remember wine and beef tacos. I also remember that I loved the WW beef taco soup. Have you ever made that? Can you tell I love mexican anything foodwise?

Re: Nightshades & Allergies

From PHD website~

Quote:
Hi Paul and others,
I came across this article on nightshades. I know that nightshades have their own set of toxins for defense, but I had never heard that they were “calcinogenic.”. I know that we take Vit K2 to help protect against calcification, but do you think nightshades should be consumed only occasionally? I was surprised to read that the calcitriol in these plants signals the intestines to absorb more calcium. So, for instance, my dinner last night, which had tomatoes, red and green peppers, paprika and red pepper flakes could have potentially caused a quick influx of calcium?
(I’m still in search of the cause of my ataxia. It had been mild for a few days then was really strong last night, so I started looking up nightshades…) Maybe it’s one of those cases where it depends on the individual, some are sensitive and some are not?
Thanks!
KH

Link is "Weston Price + Nightshades"

“The nightshades are considered a “calcinogenic” plant; that is, they cause calcinosis, which is a toxic calcification of soft tissues when eaten by animals. This happens because they contain calcitriol (1,25-dihydroxy vitamin D), the most active form of vitamin D. Please note that calcitriol is not vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol). This is an extremely important distinction, as you will see.
In humans, calcitriol is normally the end product of vitamin D metabolism, so let me start at the beginning. Cholecalciferol, or vitamin D3, is produced in the skin by the action of sunlight or can be consumed in food or supplements. In the liver, vitamin D3 is transformed into calcidiol (25-hydroxycholecalciferol, the compound that we test in the blood as a measure of vitamin D status); then the kidneys transform calcidiol into calcitriol (1,25-dihydroxy vitamin D).
Calcitriol is an extremely potent hormone, thousands of times more potent than vitamin D3. It has been said that calcitriol is the most powerful hormone in the human body. Production of calcitriol is very tightly regulated by the kidney. Why is it so tightly regulated?
Calcitriol signals the intestines to absorb calcium from our diet. While we absolutely need calcitriol to maintain proper bone density, too much calcitriol, from any source, leads to hypercalcemia, also known as high blood calcium. The body does not like this situation and wants to get the calcium levels back down to normal as quickly as possible, as an imbalance of minerals in the blood particularly affects the heart. The quickest solution for the body is to deposit the extra calcium into the soft tissues. Each hypercalcemic episode likely lasts for only a short while, however, each episode leaves a small deposit behind. Over time, these deposits lead to the condition known as calcinosis.”

Paul Jaminet response January 26, 2013 at 9:48 am

Hi KH,

That’s very interesting. Maybe it is worth removing nightshades for a while to test this idea.

It is true that they can have some calcitriol:
1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D(3)-glycos... [J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI. It does look like the doses in natural foods can be significant:
[Effects of calcinogenic plants--... [Dtsch Tierarztl Wochenschr. 1998] - PubMed - NCBI.

If this is the mechanism, it should be most significant in people with impaired kidney function, and may be avoidable by keeping nightshade consumption below about 25 g per day.
KH January 26, 2013 at 11:37 am

Thanks Paul. I’ll have to investigate further… I have stopped potatoes for almost two weeks now because of the solanine specifically (potato is the only nightshade where I’ve seen them list possible neurological side effects, though that doesn’t mean it couldn’t be caused by other nightshades I guess). Difficult to find concrete information, so I guess that’s where our own personal experiments come in. I’ll cut out nightshades for a few weeks and see how it goes.
Thanks for the pubmed links… might take me a little while to decipher all that (I think they should have a “Translate” button!) :grin:
I tend to think that eating nothing but taters could put you over the top unless it is a DD and you are eating like 2 potatoes. This may be one reason to maybe throw the tater day in only once in a while.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 01-26-2013 at 04:01 PM..
Old 01-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #1455
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

But ~

This is from MedicineNet.com

Quote:
Arthritis Diet Claims: Fact or Fiction

Here's a guide to help you sort fact from fiction:

Diets

Eliminate nightshades. One of the most common diet claims is that eliminating nightshades, which include potatoes, tomatoes, eggplants, and most peppers, relieves arthritis. This diet probably isn't harmful, but there are no studies to support it.

Alkaline diet. The alkaline diet presumes both OA and RA are caused by too much acid. Among the foods it excludes are sugar, coffee, red meat, most grains, nuts, and citrus fruits. It's meant to be followed for just one month. It may be that people feel better because they lose weight, reducing stress on joints, which eases pain. This diet eliminates most vitamin C sources. There are no studies to support it.

Dong diet. This restrictive diet relies heavily on vegetables, except tomatoes, and eliminates many of the same foods as the alkaline diet. There's no evidence it affects arthritis.

Vegetarian diet. Some people report improvement in symptoms, but evidence is mixed. One small study of people with RA showed improvement in four weeks, and follow-up studies of those who stayed on the diet showed continued improvement after one and two years.

Switching fats. One of the known correlations between food and arthritis is that omega-6 fatty acids increase inflammation, and omega-3 fatty acids reduce it. Limit intake of meat and poultry, and increase your intake of cold-water fish, such as sardines, mackerel, trout, and salmon. For salad dressings and cooking, substitute olive, canola, and flaxseed oils for corn, safflower, and sunflower oils.

Gin-soaked raisins. Lots of people claim it works, but experts say there's no evidence. Grapes and raisins do contain anti-inflammatory compounds, but not in amounts that would be therapeutic. The gin might dull pain, but drinking to excess sabotages health benefits of nutrients and vitamins, and introduces a whole new set of problems.

Green tea. Drinking three to four cups of green tea a day could help people with RA. Studies funded by the Arthritis Foundation showed that giving the polyphenolic compounds in green tea to mice significantly decreased the incidence and severity of RA. Human studies have not yet confirmed the results.
Drink green tea & eat plenty of fish.

Last edited by sunday; 01-26-2013 at 04:21 PM..
Old 01-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #1456
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I wish I could remember who did WW/JUDDD combo? They may have ideas to help you. I did WW for a very brief period. I remember wine and beef tacos. I also remember that I loved the WW beef taco soup. Have you ever made that? Can you tell I love mexican anything foodwise?

Jodi from England is doing WW and JUDDD. She is in maintenance now.

Thanks for all of the research you do, Sunday.

My occupational therapist is ordering PHD book after our conversations. She works with autistic children and recent findings appearantly show diet plays a huge part in autism.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #1457
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
Jodi from England is doing WW and JUDDD. She is in maintenance now.

Thanks for all of the research you do, Sunday.

My occupational therapist is ordering PHD book after our conversations. She works with autistic children and recent findings appearantly show diet plays a huge part in autism.
Seabreezes, Tell her that GAPS is also good diet for autistic children. I put a video about it on my PHD thread. GAPS and PHD are very similar, although in the beginning of GAPS, no potatoes or starches of any kind are allowed.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #1458

Blonde- I read up on the potato hack diet, I think it is sort of a misnomer, I mean if all you are eating are plain potatoes chances are you are going to lose weight, I am not a big fan of these diets that go around like cabbage soup etc, eating one thing all day chances are you are going to be so sick of it, you naturally eat less.
I think you will figure out WW, that is why I was never successful with it too much variety, but as you know I struggle to find balance with carbs and exercise.

Have a great Sunday!
Old 01-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #1459
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Everyone! Sunday thanks for the information! So much to know...my brain is full (wish my tummy would fill up as fast!)

Amber, you are right! Single item diets whether they are potatoes, or just rice, or eggs only, or meat only can result in boredom and therefore weight loss by lack of calories...I think the potato hack is meant to be short term for those who are struggling with their diets.

Yes WW gives me lots of variety. My problem with variety is what to eat, when to eat, how much to eat...etc. I'm going to figure it out eventually. In looking over my food diaries at WW I think I need more vegetable for satiety. I feel like I'm pretty hungry a lot of the time, so I need to fill up on zero point veggies and fruit, though I've never been a big fruit eater. I am a big eater. It seems I often need volume...this is bad when I'm doing low carb because my calories get way too high. I know I've got this, it's no slam dunk...time and practice, practice, practice...
Old 01-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #1460
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh I have achy bones this evening. I want to curl up in a chair and sleep.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #1461
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Oh I have achy bones this evening. I want to curl up in a chair and sleep.
I wish you felt better and I agree that veggies and more fruit are an excellent add to your day. I wish that I could send you fresh picked avocados, asparagus & olives. I could live on this and never suffer.

Wishing you a better tomorrow!
Old 01-29-2013, 06:05 AM   #1462
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Morning Sunday! Thank you. I don't know what it is with me and my aches and pains. Likely working in a young persons profession, not enough of the real exercise...meant to stay limber and supple, and plain old arthritis.

I got up and made a fire this morning. Usually I leave these things to DH. He gets colder faster than I do and makes the fires for self preservation. It's chilly outside and our wood stove is our only heat source. It's been that way for many years. We have a central heating system that hasn't been used since the late 80's. We both like to sleep in a cool house and we aren't plagued with sinus issues that lots of people get using forced air heating. It can be pretty cold in the morning.

I hit my WW points right on target yesterday. And. I didn't feel starving. I did this by eating lots of veggies. Breakfast was turkey sausage & toast. My lunch after work was a small portion of leftover Spanish rice w/ground turkey and about 1 1/2 cups of leftover roasted butternut squash. Dinner was 'open faced' extra lean burger on gf bread w/ pickles sf ketchup and mustard, newly roasted cauliflower and baked red potato w/ ff sour cream. No wine. As much as I like to blame wheat for a lot of my former issues, wine is also a trigger food. How so? First it makes me hungrier. Second, it takes away accountability so I over eat. Third, it dehydrates me and makes me feel yucky the next day. But I still love my pinot noir...but only on the weekends.

Breakfast today: Coffee, GF toast, turkey sausage, 2% cheese slice open faced. Banana.

So I'm learning. Keep lots of veggies available, especially ones that I love. Only drink wine on the weekend (and still trying to make it work in spite of the above issues). Plan ahead. Plan. Ahead.

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 01-29-2013 at 06:29 AM.. Reason: additional info
Old 01-29-2013, 08:06 AM   #1463
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Ooooo a fire sounds lovely! We have a fireplace but I wouldn't know the first thing about making one DH always does it. I figure I'll let him blast his eyebrows off in case anything goes wrong, right? I'll stick with the heater while he's out!

It sounds like you are figuring things out. YES!!! Nice to hear you have had some great WW days and the veggies seem to be a huge component for you. I knew you would start to find a rhythm and get going.. So proud of you for sticking with it!

Like I always say, I am SO thankful that there is a wide, huge learning curve with all of this because I definitely need it. Practice will eventually make perfect, right?

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
DesertGurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:42 AM   #1464
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGurl View Post
Like I always say, I am SO thankful that there is a wide, huge learning curve with all of this because I definitely need it. Practice will eventually make perfect, right?
Exactly. It is such a PUSH to move forward, it's so much easier just to chuck the whole idea but the only loser in that situation is ....me. If I can be this satisfied and still lose weight, that would be the momentous achievement. I live and dream of seeing a down trend on Friday. I also know that these things take time, so a 'stay the same' would be okay. Just not another gain, please.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:12 AM   #1465
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Morning! Another great day 'on points' yesterday. Dinner last night was a virtual repeat of Monday, potatoes w/ FF sour cream & an open face cheeseburger, Yum. Leftovers you know....

Discussion on another thread about eating out. Some were saying they ate too much when in a restaurant. I eat less, and more slowly. I enjoy company when eating and I'm much more satisfied. I eat much more food when I eat alone. I forget to stop, my 'click' doesn't click soon enough. Have I said that I changed my soup bowls from giant swimming pool size to shallow 1/2 pint bowls? I did that awhile back. I also bought 2 square dessert plates at Pier 1 Imports to eat dinner on. It looks like lots of food even though the portions are smaller. DH is somewhat puzzled when I hand him a small square plate....

Today I'm making meat sauce to serve over quinoa pasta tonight. This is a test for me. I have to measure out the pasta! 2 oz uncooked or 1 cup cooked. I've always eaten too much pasta at a sitting. My strategy is to have some pre-dinner veggies to take the edge off of my hunger, then have dinner. I like the idea of being able to have pasta on WW so I don't want to abuse it. It will be difficult to refrain from a glass of wine (so good with pasta sauce) but I will.

So this week when I bought the turkey sausage patties, I cooked them all at the same time and bagged the extras. I've been having two patties (man they are tiny) on a piece of GF Toast and a slice of 2% cheese. So far this has been a good breakfast to keep me full. I've recently been suffering a loud growl-y tummy at work halfway through my shift. Since having this particular breakfast I've been sailing through my shift and not thinking about food. I was really busy after work yesterday and put off my lunch until 3:00 (not smart, not too often). I ate late and had dinner even later but I still came in 'on point'. Finding something that will sustain me 'til I can have lunch is HUGE. YAY!
Old 01-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #1466
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Good for you, Blonde! Keep up the good work!
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #1467
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Sounds like you are flying right! What a relief to find things that keep you sane (not hungry), huh? I knew you'd get the hang of all this stuff and just take off. I've never tried turkey-anything... cannot seem to wrap my head around it ..

Enjoy your dinner, sounds
DesertGurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:49 AM   #1468

Hey Blonde sounds like you are finding your stride there, keep up the good work!
Old 01-31-2013, 06:01 AM   #1469
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hello Ladies! Yes yes, I am starting to work the plan! Thank you for the kudos.

Danielle~ ground turkey can have a 'taste' that I don't love so I either buy "taco' seasoned which is really good or unseasoned and put all the goods in it myself. I don't like the regular 'seasoned' ground turkey. It is very good cooked in sauce like marinara or made into chili. I don't care for 'turkey burgers'.

Last nights dinner was delish. I finely chopped some cooked cauliflower and mixed it in with my quinoa spaghetti and sauce. Made it go further and was pretty yummy. The pasta was slightly undercooked (go figure) but DH liked it that way...I like it a little less er... crunchy. I came in one point over daily and that's okay. The question is...Can I eat like this and still lose weight? Time will tell.

When I stopped by Sprouts yesterday for more butternut squash I looked at....and bypassed the wine. I know I can't keep it here during the week or I'll give in and open the bottle...so no wine before Friday night. Sunday Superbowl Party at DD28's. I really need to prepare for that one. What to do?

No work today but my house is a disaster area. Lots of cleaning and vacuuming in order. Meh. Fine.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:20 AM   #1470
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Love that you are feeling better. I agree with you on the wine. I have a boxed pinot that I used to keep that truly was wonderful, even though I like the bottled better. I realized quickly (thankfully) it was too easy to fall for the spout calling my name.

So, I ditched the pretty green box and don't have near the struggle that I was facing over the holidays.

Hoping for fantastic Superbowl fun with the kids. I am making my ds and his fiance melty taco dip with fajitas to entertain all.