Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #1321
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
I have every faith that you'll figure out how to make the points fit with your idea. I'm sure those veggies last night were the best you've ever had, huh? LOL funny how that works!
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #1322
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/226.6/125
WOE: Currently 5:2 w/ a 3rd all fruit & veg day
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Happy New Year 2013

I started this journal on 12/06/10 at 240lbs. This is something to reflect on because it is a positive, life altering choice that allowed me to eventually lose 40lbs in a year, which I gradually put back half of it over the course of almost another year. I restarted in November and have managed to lose 4.2lbs total (222 being the highest weight). So by my calculation, in 2 years and one month I've kept off 24.2lbs. Not too shabby.

Atkins used to recommend getting within "sight" of your goal weight and trying to maintain for a year before taking it all the way off. When you are at the zenith of dropping pounds there is no stopping, right? I mean, why halt progress? However, in my case this is the first time EVER that I lost weight and didn't GAIN IT ALL BACK plus 10lbs. Yep. That is something to be proud of for sure. It can (and does) happen to the best of us. What is it that makes it so hard to reconnect with a good food plan after regaining weight? For me, in the past I swear to goodness it was failure to address a scale. What I don't know can't hurt me, right? WRONG. The scale is not the be all that ends all for me but it's a pretty good indication that I've made progress or I've GONE OFF THE RAILS. So while I don't worship the scale god, I do let it tell me a thing or two about my runaway eating and how far away it has gotten from the last mark.

Doing JUDDD for a year helped me address my hunger, my habits and my sheer will to make it through a night wanting to eat the stuffing out of my bed pillow. Seriously that didn't happen all the time. I found that protein had great satiety on a DD and lasted longer than say " A piece of light bread toast and fat free "butter" spray". Both a boiled egg and the a afore mentioned toast have about the same amount of calories but the egg went far longer in terms of hunger. I learned that a big glass of ice water, sipped slowly and thoughtfully was really what I needed instead of that bag of greasy fries. Needed, I said. Not wanted. JUDDD helped me learn about control and real hunger versus "head hungry". And as I sit here this morning, not having had breakfast yet, I think WW is going to teach me the same thing. Oh yeah, I'm hungry. I will take my own advice and go with a boiled egg or two to get my appetite under control.

This is not going to be easy, nothing truly worth having is. This is no shortcut, no fast track, no E ticket ride. It will be long and bumpy and I will have days when I will want to throw in the towel. I will scream to anyone who will listen that this WOE sucks apples, and why did I think I could do it??? I'm ahead of the game because I already KNOW this. I have to use the things I learned doing JUDDD to keep me motivated and on track. I have to step on the scale once a week no matter how "badly" I behaved with food. I need to remember that sometimes when I'm really, really good, the scale will stick it's tongue out and say "SO? You did good. So? I'm not moving this week. Eat that, whiner". Right?

I pledge to commit to WW for a year. I pledge to move myself in some sort of activity everyday. I pledge to weigh once a week, no matter how fat I think I am. I pledge to come here and talk to my LC friends, to listen and help if I can. To be supportive and be supported. To be present in the strengthening of my health and well being.

There is strength in numbers.
6/27~226.6
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 01-04-2013 at 08:35 AM..
Blonde with a Rose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #1323
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGurl View Post
I have every faith that you'll figure out how to make the points fit with your idea. I'm sure those veggies last night were the best you've ever had, huh? LOL funny how that works!
Are you kidding?? Those veggies were like ambrosia! Thank you Dani~I will be able to make it work. I think it's totally doable. It is funny, isn't it. It's the old "take it away from me and I'll kill myself trying to get it back"!

Breakfast today: 5 points

1 cup cottage cheese (ff)
1 boiled egg
1 beautiful, sweet, delicious crispy crunchy yellow bell pepper.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #1324
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tally for the day: All daily points used.

Lunch: carrots & light Ranch

Dinner: carne asada, beans, lettuce, pico, cheese.

DD 28 and I did hair for each other today so lunch was a fly by of veggies.

Dinner was fabulous and I'm sipping water and getting ready to watch a little TV. DH & DS are hanging out. Tomorrow I must go to the library and do the walk of shame. Return my chewed up library books w/ the Amazon replacements that cost over $40. I get to keep the chewed ones, lucky me, but they need see the books all together to make sure I didn't buy some cheap copy or something. Oh and by the way there's a $5 shelving fee for each book. Doh! The dogs have been staying out all day now when we're not home. They are very destructive when "abandoned", apparently.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #1325
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Sounds like this is much better! I need veggies and can't live without the avocado, arugula, spinach, cilantro, jalapeno peppers, artichoke, taters & tomato.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #1326
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Happy New Year 2013

When you are at the zenith of dropping pounds there is no stopping, right? I mean, why halt progress? However, in my case this is the first time EVER that I lost weight and didn't GAIN IT ALL BACK plus 10lbs. Yep. That is something to be proud of for sure..

This is not going to be easy, nothing truly worth having is. This is no shortcut, no fast track, no E ticket ride. It will be long and bumpy and I will have days when I will want to throw in the towel.

There is strength in numbers.
I love this!

I also love for the first time ever, that I am not scared to go forward. JUDDD changed this forever.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:57 AM   #1327
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Blonde lots of good observations, I have been on here over 2 years now and having kept 125 pounds off to me is a miracle I was terrified I would be over 300 pounds at any minute, but in a way gaining this weight back was a good lesson, I got cocky I thought I was done, people said how wonderful I looked, that I didn't need to keep losing and guess what I porked 30 pounds on in a blink of an eye, so this was all part of the journey! I reflected on what worked for me, accountability on here, posting my weight, posting my menus, being honest with myself about what I was doing, and I am glad that I pulled some peeps out of hiding to come and join me! Fighting weight is going to be an on going battle for me it is never going to get easier and I am never going to be done, it's forever!!! You will succeed, you know what you have to do day in and day out to meet those goals!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #1328
Blabbermouth!!!

Awesome reflections. This is what I mean about moving forward regardless of losing weight.. So last year didn't result in a huge amount of weight loss, but maaaaaaaannnn look at all that insight you gained. That, to me, was well worth the struggle IMO. The journey is about so much more than just racing to the end number, but has everything to do with what we actually LEARN about ourselves and what we are willing to do for health and life-long successes.. You're awesome!

Successful day yesterday, go you! Had to laugh about your comment about the library...suddenly I have a P!NK song stuck in my head, Walk of Shame.. ... altho' she's talkin about a much different "walk" Hahaha! ... and, uh, yeah, I've done the library walk 2x before with kids books.. it's no bueno!

On to another successful day!!

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
Old 01-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #1329
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Sorry to hear about the books! Yikes! Very glad to hear about your success, though; Dani is right: The insight gained is just as valuable (if not more!) than pounds lost! Keep it up, my friend!
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #1330
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Morning my friends!

Sunday~ being able to have the veggies is wonderful. Learning HOW MANY points are in meat and cheese, a bit scarier. I do want to get in my minimum protein requirements every day so I guess I'll be enjoying those "free" veggies a lot... I think it's really important to look at the big picture and try to learn why this happened in the first place. JUDDD taught me so much and I'm so grateful that I did it. I'm really glad we are in touch!

Amber girl~ I too got cocky about my weight loss. ergo the regained 22lbs. This is a never ending way of life, but keeping 125lbs OFF is one incredible journey! You totally rock! All of the things you mentioned are so important to succeed and remain "succeeded", I know, it's not a noun, but we all need to be succeeded. Accountability is IMHO the most important one of all because turning a blind eye is what always gets me back in trouble.

Dani~ moving forward is so much healthier and life affirming than looking back over failures or as you said "would coulda shoulda". You rocking JUDDD right now is kinda the same way I did. I spent one year losing and gaining the same ten pounds before I made myself try it out. What a smart thing that was! Keep at as long as you can. My friend Leo lost all of her weight and has maintained for two years with JUDDD.

Breakfast today was egg beaters w/onions, sweet red peppers, 2% cheese slice and 3 pieces of crispy bacon. YUM.

I'm so proud of myself for NOT eating wheat. I think that is the one very good thing (besides quitting smoking) that I did last year. This Friday is my birthday and I see a challenge coming... but DD28 is planning a cheese cake. I'll probably save all of my weekly points just to have a piece of cheese cake and a couple of glasses of wine.

The only thing I miss about NK is the complete lack of appetite. But I miss that A LOT.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #1331
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Avoiding wheat is a huge accomplishment!! It's really not easy to do in this culture, and you have done an excellent job!

Happy early birthday, too! Enjoy your cheesecake.

I hear you on the appetite thing. I mentioned to DH how weird it was to be hungry over the holidays......like that constant, nagging, nonstop hunger that led me to graze from morning until night. I'm hoping you're not experiencing THAT kind of hunger, but after having your hunger suppressed, it's not an easy transition back to feeling ANY level of hunger!! One thing that has helped me previously is drinking sparkling water. It gives me a fuller feeling than just plain ol' water.

Hope you're having a great Saturday!

"When I run, it's me against myself, which means that I always lose." ~Christine

Weight loss journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ney-maker.html
Old 01-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #1332
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hello Christine-Bean!

Yep, I'm gonna eat cheese cake on Friday. The no wheat thing is huge for sure! I'm not having "gotta eat constantly" hunger, just hunger where there was none before. The good news I think is that my carbs are still considerably low compared to "normal" WW and that is what possibly keeps me from being ravenous all the time. I was quite a grumpy pants today and that is also new. I'll adapt I'm sure.

We were (DH) out running errands today and I had the patience of a two year old. Finally at 4:00 I realize I thought I was starving to death. Nothing to eat since breakfast. We came home and I fixed DH a turkey Bagel sandwich, some tortilla chips and a bowl of cherry tomatoes then made myself a veggie plate with mushrooms, tomatoes, sugar snap peas and green stuffed olives, a cup of cottage cheese and 2 tbls of light Ranch. It was absolutely heaven! DH is still full from his food, but I'm hungry again and I'm going to use the rest of my points on 6oz of pink salmon, a chopped boiled egg, real mayo and dill pickle relish. That's it for me today. It's going to be tasty. I got this.

Havin' a pretty good Saturday except for the cranky part.....
Old 01-06-2013, 06:46 AM   #1333
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellgee
Well hello there Mrs. Grumpy Pants! LOL!

DH and I had an errand day yesterday, too. We stopped at Chipotle where I'd eaten before and was kind of take it or leave it. Yesterday, I don't know if it was because I was starving or what but it was so darn good! I had the salad bowl with carnitas, pinto beans, guac and salsa. Yummy in my tummy! Gotta hit that place more often.

And yeah, you got this.

Oh and did we know we were fellow Capricornians, Capricorneliuses, Capricornites? My birthday is Tuesday and I'm planning some kind of treat. Raising my glass to you, too!

Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal. My strength lies solely in my tenacity. - Louis Pasteur

Last edited by ellgee; 01-06-2013 at 06:48 AM..
ellgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #1334
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning & happy birthday to both of you!!! Laura & Blonde!

Just dropping in to say that I have been so glad that I watched Dr. Davis videos on Wheatbelly! Thank you!

I have been reading on a blog called "The Healthy Home Economist" and she has linked a great wealth of info on Gut & Psychology Syndrome. It is fascinating. Also, I am thrilled to know that bone broth is really important in healing the gut. I have been drinking bb daily.

Enjoy your cheesecake and birthday celebrations!

Oh, and Laura, Chipotle is the one restaurant that I can stay in my calorie allotment on DD. If you get the bowl sans the rice, cheese & sour cream. It is very healthy DD meal for 370. My bowl includes grilled chicken, black beans, grilled pepper & onions, lettuce, tomatoes, & red salsa.

It is so satisfying & healthy, I even located an online chipotle calculator because I wanted to be able to do this without blowing my DD.

google ~ chipotlefan nutrition_calculator
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
Old 01-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #1335
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Morning girls!

Laura I should have known! Capricornisheses! How else do we stay so stubborn? Your Chipotle Bowl sounds YUM! Yeah I was one crabby girl, but I warned and warned DH and he still kept teasing me. He's lucky I didn't eat him alive....

Sunday! I'm glad you got to check out the "Wheat Belly" phenomenon. The first time I read it I didn't want to believe it but the second time through (months later) I became a believer. Well enough to at least give it a shot. I'm very glad I did. BTW~ Thanks for the info on BB.

Another day another challenge. Well it feels like that, anyway. Even after eating the salmon last night I went to bed feeling still hungry. Now this is not a horrible feeling or even an unwelcome feeling but it is a little disturbing. I never ever go to bed feeling hungry, because I'm not. Ever. I keep telling myself it's okay and it is. Just different. Reminds me a little bit of a JUDDD DD. While the NK diet left me feeling full and never hungry I couldn't get over the amount of fat that was recommended. I knew I could not sustain that WOE when I had visions of heart attacks with every meal. At least I feel I'm eating healthy and psychologically that's a BIG Plus. My biggest challenge thus far is to get a routine of eating and meals so that I don't have to think so hard about it all the time. This is good for me.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #1336
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Two thoughts on hunger.

BB is so low on cals or even regular chicken broth and although I am not sure what it would be WW pointwise, (maybe 0) you can drink chicken broth ff, if need be? What about one mug before bed?

Cayenne. I take the "cool cayenne" but it not only helps my heart & circulatory system, but I believe it helps temper hungries. A boost to my metabolism for pennies. I take Solaray Cool Cayenne, although Nature's Way makes one called Capsicool. Only 4.39 for 100 capsules. So, I will try that next to save.

Dick Quinn wrote a book about cayenne that convinced me, "Left for Dead". Apologies if I may have already told you about the book, but his experiences with cayenne is what made me realize how important it is.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #1337
Blabbermouth!!!

Mornin' lady!

Well that is not fun going to bed hungry when ya dont wanna be Maybe once you get acclimated to WW things will settle down? Maybe more protein?? I'm sure you'll figure it out to make it work!
Old 01-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #1338
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Sunday, yeah! Chicken broth is great idea...why didn't I think of that? It's always been a good filler. Yes you did tell me about cayenne and I went out and bought some, I put it on anything I can! I love hot anyway so it's right up my alley!

Dani~I'm sure I'll adjust, it's a learning curve...but JUDDD taught me so much about dealing with being hungry. It really can be a good thing. Yes, I want to make sure I get enough protein. That is the true key to satiety and burning fat! It's another adjustment in the world of adjustments and I will rise to meet the challenge.

I've been cooking this morning, preparing for the week ahead. I made a skillet of taco flavored Jennie O ground turkey with onions and red bells. Put it away for quick meals. I have 8 chicken breasts in the crockpot along with a can of rotelle, onions and baby carrots. This is part dinner and part lunches and eventually will be chicken vegetable soup. On a happy note I'm so in love with the veggies. I had another veggie plate this morning with cottage cheese. Yum! I can do eggs later or maybe for breakfast tomorrow. Which reminds me, it wouldn't be a bad idea to boil a few eggs for quick grab and go.

My house is a disaster and it would be a good idea to try to get it in order today so my week is easier. DH is working on the outdoor fireplace today so it will be up and running again for my party this Friday. Winter is not the time to redo the fireplace....but like me, he does what he wants to and not what he should do. It's nice to have that option.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:39 AM   #1339

Happy B-day to you girls!!!!! Cheesecake sounds yummy!!!

Sunday I am totally with you on wheat, I have uncovered that nothing makes me gain more than wheat and flour products, I can eat 1/2 potato or beans those things which are more carby and not blow like I do with flour, it is just evil and its added to everything!

I made a big pan of roasted root veggies for the week and threw a big beef roast in the oven, apparently now the family doesnt like it in the crock pot, so since I was staying awake to watch BL I cooked it!

Have a good week!!!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:42 AM   #1340
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Happy Birthday Blonde and Laura! Blonde, WTG on your advanced meal prep!!! I am impressed!!! Have a great Monday!
Old 01-07-2013, 07:11 AM   #1341
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey there Girls!!

Happy Monday! Today begins the resolution to work more. I will work all of my shifts this week no matter who cries to pick one of them up. It will give me more exercise and more money in my pocket. Gotta love that!

Last night I put all of my food for the day into 'myplate' and found out my calories came in under 1000 for the day. Shoot no wonder I'm starving. I need to either start using my extra points (49 for the week) or switch to 'simply filling' where power foods are not counted and only extras are counted (like coffee creamer and fats). I've basically been eating power foods anyway. I think I'll try to use more of my extra points first. The daily input of foods is good for me. Accountability. DD34 seems to be taking to this woe. I've been getting some positive messages from her. She was going to bake onion rings last night with bran flakes....

Got my house cleaned up yesterday but the fireplace project got put on hold. DH found a "motherlode" of fire wood so we scavenged it and spent the afternoon hauling and stacking it. It should get us through the rest of winter. Rain is expected Thursday here in Southern California. We are way above normal this year, which means we can water our lawns this summer.

I'm off and running but I'll be back later.....
Old 01-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #1342
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Worked an extra long shift today. Boy are my dogs barkin' (my feet hurt). Of course I didn't have time for lunch so I'm home and shoving baby carrots and sweet orange bell peppers in my mouth as fast as I can chew them. I also have a handful of sugar snap peas and 6 ginormous stuffed green olives on that plate. I do feel like I'm starting to slow down a little. One thing about having sore feet, it competes with the ravenous rumbling of the empty stomach. I did have veggies planned for lunch, I'm just having them at home instead of in salad form at work, and about two hours later than expected.

B: A leftover chicken breast

I've planned tonight's feast to be:

Turkey taco meat
refried beans
cooked leftover carrots (I hope I don't turn orange..)
A tiny smidgen of shredded cheddar.
A teeny dollop of light sour cream
Salsa

Now, I stuck to my one glass of wine yesterday but now I have an open bottle of red that will go to waste unless I drink it in the next two days. So one glass tonight and one tomorrow.

Wow, my butt is seriously draggin'......
Old 01-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #1343

Blonde you said that you like cottage cheese that is the best thing to eat before bed due to it being casein protein, which is slowly digested helping you feel fuller, and not be starving. I like to take cottage cheese with cinnamon and a few shakes of splenda and I pretend it is rice pudding, yummy!
Old 01-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #1344
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh thank you Amber! I do like it and that's a great idea. I'm so not used to going to bed hungry and I'm NOT a night time snacker...I just haven't experienced it before.

Jeez I'm tired today.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #1345
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellgee
Just reading your post made me tired! And your dinner sounds divine. I made a big pot of taco soup yesterday so I will eat on that for the next few days.

I wish I liked cottage cheese. Meh.
ellgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #1346
Blabbermouth!!!

I don't like cottage cheese either, Laura! DH could live on that stuff..

Busy day, Blonde! Proud of you for sticking to it and staying on track
Old 01-08-2013, 03:31 AM   #1347

Have a good day!
Old 01-08-2013, 05:30 AM   #1348
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hope you got some good rest, Blonde!
Old 01-08-2013, 06:37 AM   #1349
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mornin' Ladies~

Sorry girls, I was very whiny when I got home. I'm fortunate to like cottage cheese but I wish I liked yogurt a little more. I think it's probably the healthier of the two.

Oh yeah, I slept well. Too many days on the starvation train came to a crash last night when I ate 14 points worth of macadamia nuts and 11 points worth of Pinot noir...and then slept like a dead woman.... BTW, it's doesn't take much to get a lot of macadamia points.

I guess that's why I'm doing WW, so I can be accountable. Even with the end of day 'rebellion' I still have "weekly" and "activity" points left over. The good news is I don't have any Pinot to dole out tonight AND the rest of the macadamias went to work with DH. Interestingly enough, I did not wake up hungry today. That's a plus, right?

Did anyone catch Dr. Lustig on MSNBC this morning? He was talking about his new book "Fat Chance" all about the sugar deception. He says outright that sugar is addictive (which I've been saying for years and years) and now it's scientifically proven. He also said that 1/3 of type 2 diabetes cases are teenagers! I wonder how long it will take the soft drink industry to get their own personal guru to dispute everything Lustig says.....

My two DD's and I often have heated discussions regarding sugar. My eldest has not jumped on the bad sugar bandwagon, because she likes it and uses it. My other DD and I both stay away. It's not a problem for me so much but my youngest is a self proclaimed 'sugar addict' who turns to gummy bears and Trolley "sour peach" rings when under stress. I swear her pupils dilate when she eats candy....

Another day of serving the hungry masses at Olive Garden for lunch...Woot.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:01 AM   #1350
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mac nuts are excellent! love the Pinot too. Maybe too much.

I will be back when I have a minute and can post.