Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 05:51 AM   #1231
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/229.8/125
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
I did sign up for Pinterest and it was Overwhelming. I'll have to get brave to go back.

The last two Holiday seasons have been great with DD34 and her crew back home. I do know what you mean. Ours started to change when my mom passed many years ago, then DH's Mom passed 9 years ago. I was elected Matriarch which is special and humbling and stressful. Well I wasn't elected, I just assumed the role, like a soap opera takeover when someone leaves and they put a lookalike in their place. Yeah they're speaking the words but it takes awhile to believe in them...lol. I watch too much television. My analogies are cable ready.

I just had my first coffee w/ 1 tbs of butter. Upping my fat, lowering my protein ala ketogenics/Atkins induction. I ate VLC yesterday in preparation. Must make the scale move lower.....

I feel that smoking and quitting has really messed with my metabolism and I've been on a stall for so long.
6/27~226.6
8/01~235
8/06~233
8/15~229.8
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 11-27-2012 at 05:55 AM..
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2012, 06:03 AM   #1232
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Love your analogy! That's funny. You'll fill that role naturally over time, just wait! And with less stress.

How did you like the butter coffee? I wish I'd had time to make it this morning; it's a perfect day for it here in the NE!
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:28 AM   #1233
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Christine, you know what? I thought it was delicious! I went for the full tablespoon, just jumped into it and my coffee was so mmmm....buttery. I'm really hoping it will kick my hunger down a notch or two. I've been very strict LC since Friday after Thanksgiving but I'm just now starting to feel good again. Not lethargic, or bloated or achy. I'm still in awe regarding how quickly my body protested to the wheat that I ate on Thanksgiving. Definitely not worth a repeat at Christmas time. How's your sweet tooth? Does it get easier for you when you stay away? Or is it always a challenge?
Old 11-27-2012, 06:45 AM   #1234
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm glad you enjoyed the coffee! I'm seriously looking forward to having a cup when I get home this afternoon!

As for the sweet tooth, I find that it does get easier the longer I stay away. I remember when I was FULL THROTTLE I would look at all of my faves (bread, cake, candy, brownies, oh my!) and think, "Meh." They just didn't interest me. THAT is where I need to be again! It's definitely challenging at the holidays, though. All of the baking that I love to do........and love to eat!!! I guess I really just need to ask myself whether or not it's worth it. Today I say it's not. We'll see what happens in the face of temptation!

You know, I bet that butter coffee will help with your hunger. The increased fat might just be the ticket. Let me know how it goes for you today. So glad to hear that you're feeling better, too!!!

"When I run, it's me against myself, which means that I always lose." ~Christine

Weight loss journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ney-maker.html
Old 11-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #1235
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Nice to hear you liked the coffee. I have yet to try it, I need something to blend it in. I don't even own a regular blender anymore. I got rid of it after never using it, go figure!

Are you gonna do strict lc with JUDDD?

Have a great day!
DesertGurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:59 AM   #1236
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Dani! I didn't blend it...I put 1 tablespoon of butter in my hot coffee, added some pure Stevia (a tiny pinch) and a tiny splash of HWC...stirred it all together. YUM. And~ I'm still not JUDDDing. Don't get me wrong, I love it and I think it's the bomb. I have been VLC trying to be able to JUDDD. I kept falling off my DD's so much that I was losing ground. My hope is to get back where I was before...not hungry, content to diet every other day. If I can JUDDD, it will be VLC anyway. My belief is that my body is rebelling from all the crap I've been putting it through and I just want to feel better. My joint pain since Thanksgiving has been excruciating at night while I'm trying to sleep. Last night was better and hopefully tonight will be pain free. I'll be 57 in January, maybe I'm just frickin' old and all of this is to be expected, but I'd like to think I have some dietary control over my condition. I hope so anyway.

I'm thrilled that JUDDD is giving you success, keep going!
Old 11-28-2012, 06:18 AM   #1237
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No Pinot Noir for two days. The things I give up to get into Ketosis.

I weighed yesterday and I was still sitting at 218.2. Yesterday I had a "fat" free for all. Red meat, turkey, tuna, mayo, cheese, coconut oil, HWC, butter (in my coffee) and more coffee last night at 5-ish o'clock with HWC. This morning I figured I'd be up a couple of pounds but I was up .2lbs. In other words 218.4. This surprises me. I know I don't want to continue in this way, my calorie count alone had to be 2000 calories or more. I let myself eat as I got hungry and added fat to my meal. I had NO veggies yesterday... another experiment. Today I'll have romaine with one of my meals for sure, but only that little veggie. I guess it is an experiment, on myself anyway, lots of people eat this way all the time. I want to get back to JUDDD. I want to be able to JUDDD. I don't understand why it's so difficult, I don't remember being so hungry all the time, before. This is a new thing to me, this Ketogenic Diet, and I'm willing to try it just to get my appetite under control.

I did sleep better last night. That is a big PLUS.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:48 AM   #1238
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hurray for sleep! And you're right: It's a science experiment! Gotta keep testing out your hypotheses until you find that eureka moment. Man, I could go for some red meat right about now.....with garlic butter sauce.....mmmm!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #1239
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Christine~I've been reading everything I can set eyes on, on the internet regarding Ketogenics...which is basically 20 grams of carbs per day or less. HFLC. Lots of great info and each website I visit will give links to others of the same mindset. I had no idea there was so much information on this subject! And yes we are just experiments, but how else can we know? Everybody lies regarding nutrition. Somehow it got all tangled up in politics and consumerism....

Mmmm...garlic butter......

Lots of great info here:
http://waroninsulin.com/

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 11-28-2012 at 08:06 AM..
Old 11-28-2012, 08:16 AM   #1240
Blabbermouth!!!

We gotta do what we gotta do to get to where we wanna go. Good for you for taking the plunge into nutritional ketosis. I debated about it for awhile but then got sidetracked with JUDDD

My toes have been hurting again, but I think it's cause I've been overdoing the pepperonccini's Love those lil suckers but maaaan, they do a number on my joints.. tomatos too but I don't love them like I do the peppers

And bite your tongue woman, ....old?......pffffffft NO WAY! Just a number my friend....just a number!

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
Old 11-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #1241
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Nutritional Ketosis is kinda scary for me but I really want to give it a real try. It goes against everything I think I know about fats. Add fat??? Eat fat??? Lose weight adding and eating fat?? Well, we'll see. I did sleep pretty well last night....

I have enjoyed butter in my coffee for the last three days running. I mean seriously enjoyed it. I've been adding a pinch of stevia and I just sip and stir, sip and stir. Danielle, Sunday does JUDDD and has 100 calories of butter/coffee for breakfast on her down days. She swears it keeps her appetite in check. If I can ever get mine under control (or myself) I'm going to try that on DD's, too. The sad part is I can not at this time think of a way to convince my family that this is a good idea. I know they will never go for it so I'm not talking about it per se, just doing "no grains, no starch, no sugar". That WOE they can understand (and they secretly pity me).

Yesterday I had eggs and bacon for breakfast, Salad w/ Ranch and grilled salmon for lunch, Dinner was Turkey w/ cheddar and cream cheese. Weird but good.

Today:
B: 2 scrambled eggs w/cream cheese
L: Unknown (maybe salad and protein)
D: Taco soup? Recipe from another thread using ground beef, rotel tomatoes, beef broth and cream cheese.

Although I'm still fat (naturally, it's too soon) I have lost that bloaty feeling.
For the time being I have given up nuts and fresh cheese (like cottage cheese) but I may add in macadamia nuts at some point. I want to limit my carbs to green leafy, mostly. I bought a jar of green olives and I've added a few of those into one of my meals a day (but not yesterday).

This morning my DD34 dropped off the mini chihuahua and the first two Fifty Shades of Grey books. She asked if I had to work and when I told her no she said "Good luck doing anything else today, except reading those". I've heard the rumors about these books and she won't discuss them with me until I've actually read them...They are burning a hole in my tablecloth right now and frankly I'm a little nervous...
Old 11-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #1242
Blabbermouth!!!

Hahahahaha! Have fun with the books! I haven't read them but I've heard.........

Mmmmmmmm that soup sounds yummo!!!

Fat is your friend. I know, tough concept to wrap your head around, especially when all we've ever been taught is that fat can't be good for us. But it is!
Keeps you fuller and satiated longer. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I am really hoping that this is something that will work for you!
Old 11-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #1243
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks D~ it's probably the ONE thing I haven't tried!
Old 11-30-2012, 07:37 AM   #1244
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Happy Friday! DH is home sick with a cold, I don't want it.

Kept to my NK eating all week. Had the taco soup last night which is essentially ground beef, 1/2 onion, anaheim chiles, bell pepper sauteed, add a box of beef stock, 8 oz cream cheese and 1/2 cup of HWC. I ate more than my share and still had a ton leftover for lunch today and dinner tonight or maybe tomorrow.

Still gonna hold off on the Pinot Noir. I want to get fat adapted before I try to add alcohol in. Some people can do it, others say it stalls them. I feel pretty good. I have no keto-stix and no way to know if I'm getting there yet. I jumped on the scale because I felt like I had lost some poundage and I'm EXACTLY the same.....

B: Coffee w/ butter and HWC x2

L: Salad w/salmon

D: Pot Roast w/green beans
Old 11-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #1245
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

From Reddarin:

Other than maybe some pow-wow about this or that all I need to know is your goal weight to plug into my spreadsheet. You have that in your profile blurb so here ya go...

Goal Weight: 135

NK Page:
(x*(1-.18)*0.6 = 66-111

Exercise Page:
(x/2.2)*0.8 = 49
(x/2.2)*1.2 = 74
(x/2.2)*1.5 = 92
(x/2.2)*1.8 = 110

Dr. Phinney's recommendation is 1.5g/kg that results in 92g protein daily.

For a goal weight of 135 the calorie goal would be : 2148 (35kCal/kg) with a floor of 1841 (30kCal/kg - for an obese and/or very sedentary person).

Calories: 2148

Protein grams: 92 (368 ~ calories)
Fat grams: 198 (1782 ~ calories)
Carb grams: ??

These are the stats I need to work toward. Thanks Darin!
Old 11-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #1246
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Keep it up, Blonde! Hope you avoid DH"s cold and I hope he's feeling better. have a great weekend!
Old 11-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #1247
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Christine!!

So, I have my numbers and it's going to be interesting to hit them.

So far I have 45 gms protein, 57 grams of fat and 8.6 carbs. Not nearly enough. I'm planning a grilled chicken salad from Sombreros so I can add in the cheese and sour cream and that should raise my fat and protein. I'm less than halfway there right now...and I'm not hungry.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:28 AM   #1248
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hooray for no hunger!!!! Keep up the great work, Blonde!
Old 12-01-2012, 07:43 AM   #1249
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Down 1.6lbs this morning.

Finally we have movement in the right direction! I'm gonna shout this loss because it may be all I get for December, but I'll take it.

Last night at 10:45 I was still awake and wired for sound. That is not my MO. I usually have xx's over my eyes by 7:30...we get up so early. I could have easily gotten out of bed and cleaned the kitchen or done laundry! I'm on my laptop but when I get to my home computer I'll record my final numbers for the day.

Okay my numbers. Parenthesis is target goal.
Calories: 1252 (2148-1841 floor)
Protein 92.5 (92)
Fat grams 91.2 (198)

Hit my protein target. Yea! Came in under calories and under fat grams (way under)

Today I'm starting off right with: butter and HWC in my first cup of coffee. VCO and HWC in my 2nd. I'm declaring to my family that this is a no grain, no starch, no sugar diet otherwise they would FREAK.

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 12-01-2012 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: adding facts
Old 12-01-2012, 09:55 AM   #1250
Blabbermouth!!!

Sounds like you are well on your way. Nice work!!!
Old 12-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #1251
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WOOOOOOHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And no hunger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #1252
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sitting here on fit day, trying to analyze and clarify without being mystified. Holy crap, this is the first time EVER that I'm looking at my numbers at the end of the day and saying "I have to eat more? I have to eat more!" Even with everything added in, including food and fat I haven't eaten yet, it looks like this:

Protein: 102.1 (92)
Fat 154.5 (198)
CALS 1810 (1841 floor)
Carbs 4.6

Planning on having pot roast and 2 extra Tbs of VCO, 1 extra Tbs butter.
I wonder if macadamia nuts would be a good addition?
Old 12-02-2012, 05:00 AM   #1253
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post

I wonder if macadamia nuts would be a good addition?
Always!
Old 12-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #1254
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Long day. Did some Christmas shopping.

My numbers for the day:

Cals: 1751 (2148-1841 floor)
P: 80.9 (92)
F: 149.3 (198)
Carbs: 28.5

Still under thirty carbs, this is good. I slept like rock last night, seriously. My husband brought me coffee at 9:00 am. I want to hold off on weighing until next Thurs or Friday. I think I want Friday to be the day...or maybe I'll make it Monday so I will be good over the weekend?
Old 12-03-2012, 03:40 AM   #1255
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Glad you got some good sleep, Blonde! Your numbers are looking great. Good for you!

Hey, here's a question I wanted to ask you: Can you tell me your understanding of the difference between "nutritional ketosis" and just plain ol' ketosis?? I've been wondering that now that I'm reading more about NK. Is it just a matter of the ratios (higher fat)?
Old 12-03-2012, 05:46 AM   #1256
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My understanding? I don't get it. I think the difference is in the protein/fat grams. The majority of calories comes from fat, the protein is just enough for good health and no more. The reasoning that people stall and stop losing altogether on Atkins is too much protein.

High Fat NK 80/15/5 - December Version

This is were I'm getting my info. The first couple of post by reddarin explain a lot! Great thread, nice people, lots of answers. They are following the Phinney book (not the one for athletes, although they do discuss). Come check it out!

Down 1.4lbs on my scale this morning! I know, I said I was gonna stay off but I could really feel a difference and I had to look!
Old 12-03-2012, 06:06 AM   #1257
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good for you!!!

I read through the post a few weeks back and couldn't make heads or tails, but I need to do a careful read. Thanks for the info, and keep up the great work!
Old 12-03-2012, 06:29 AM   #1258
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

He actually spent a lot of time Re-writing the intro posts to make things more clear! Thanks Christine, you too!

And to be honest I'm on a wing and a prayer here....
Old 12-03-2012, 08:26 AM   #1259
Blabbermouth!!!

I always believed that one of the reasons why I didnt lose well on lc was too much protein and not nearly enough fat. I just never got far enough in research in NK to do anything about it before I decided on JUDDD. Who knows, maybe that's my next endeavor if this doesnt work

I think you may have found your niche with this plan! Keeping you full and not making you feel too deprived, its a good thing!
Old 12-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #1260
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You're right Dani~and we do what we can, when we can.

I'll have today's numbers in the morning. Just wanted to say I have NOT had any pinot noir or any other alcoholic beverage in 9 days. Now that is a sacrifice!