Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 07:15 AM   #91
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/14
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Thank you for the birthday good wishes!! Today is the day. I'm up and at 'em, with coffee my way, a fire in the wood stove, and a song in my heart. What am I singing? I dunno, suggestions?

I don't have any plans that I know of, I'm not making dinner so someone is going to have to take me out to eat. DD is doing my hair later, and I should go for a walk this morning, first!

Yesterday was my brothers birthday. He passed away a year ago, October, from lung cancer. It was very fast, we had no time to adjust or even spend much time together. He was only 58. I think that is where my melancholy came from, even though I didn't realize it was his birthday until last night. We were 5 years and 1 day apart, we shared a birthday cake every year, growing up. I hated that, I wanted my own. I'd give just about anything to share a cake with him again. I am 55 today, he would have been 60. On another note of weird coincidence, my mom died 21 years ago, on my birthday.

I'm okay, this is life. I am proud of myself, for getting better health-wise, for not smoking, for caring enough about myself to move forward and not wallow in it. It would be easy, I think. I love my family so much, I don't want them to be angry at me, if I die because I didn't care enough to be good to myself. I want to be healthy and happy. Strong and vital. Slim and vibrant. Alive.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2011, 07:35 AM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Princessdmw33
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: November, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Thank you for the birthday good wishes!! Today is the day. I'm up and at 'em, with coffee my way, a fire in the wood stove, and a song in my heart. What am I singing? I dunno, suggestions?

I don't have any plans that I know of, I'm not making dinner so someone is going to have to take me out to eat. DD is doing my hair later, and I should go for a walk this morning, first!

Yesterday was my brothers birthday. He passed away a year ago, October, from lung cancer. It was very fast, we had no time to adjust or even spend much time together. He was only 58. I think that is where my melancholy came from, even though I didn't realize it was his birthday until last night. We were 5 years and 1 day apart, we shared a birthday cake every year, growing up. I hated that, I wanted my own. I'd give just about anything to share a cake with him again. I am 55 today, he would have been 60. On another note of weird coincidence, my mom died 21 years ago, on my birthday.

I'm okay, this is life. I am proud of myself, for getting better health-wise, for not smoking, for caring enough about myself to move forward and not wallow in it. It would be easy, I think. I love my family so much, I don't want them to be angry at me, if I die because I didn't care enough to be good to myself. I want to be healthy and happy. Strong and vital. Slim and vibrant. Alive.

As sad as your posting is in regards to the death of your brother and your mom you are delivering a sense of hope and joy! I hope you have the greatest day ever and that husband better take you out to dinner!
Princessdmw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:07 AM   #93
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you Dawn . I'm really okay. I'll report dinner tomorrow.

This is a reposting from the JUDDD thread but I wanted to keep it here as well.

CherylB I'm so sorry you are struggling with this WOE. Regarding my journal and stats, you didn't know that back in October before this WOE I was following low carb, had a huge setback and gained weight...going from 227.5 to 240 (which was my original weight when I started low carb). I restarted Dec 5 with JUDDD and had a huge loss in the first week, but we both know it was mostly water from my recent re-gain. I have also had two weeks where I lost nothing. If I can average 2lbs a week that would be amazing to me! Don't let my stats discourage you. However~ I don't think abandoning low carb completely is a good idea (for you or me), especially if it has worked for you in the past. My DD's are always ultra low-carb with as much protein as I can pack into it for under 500 calories. I feel eating this way helps me stay satiated more than any other way, including tons of veggies or low calorie rice cakes, etc. My UD's are a time to add something I feel I have missed, like a serving or two of rice or potatoes or pasta (Dreamfields) or a grilled cheese sandwich...know what I mean? I avoid sugar (well maybe not today, I might have birthday cake) and I almost never eat it. My problem with low carb came in the way of not being able to be "good" everyday, then feeling guilt and remorse, then giving up on any kind of plan, gaining weight and being generally miserable. I feel so fortunate that JUDDD is helping me. I'm not a binge eater, not to say I couldn't over eat, but I have always had a problem with portion control. Even low carb portions were too big and made it hard for me to lose weight for the sheer number of calories I was taking in. DD's are hard, no lie, but I find the strength somewhere to stay under 500. I tell myself I can eat tomorrow, and sometimes I go to bed because it's 8 pm and I'm too hungry to stay up. For me personally, it's a show of strength and faith in myself, it's helping to repair my lousy self-esteem. Maybe I'm mentally ill. But that's me. Finding what works for you, finding the best way to be healthy, that's what's important. Keep tweaking your DD meals until you find what works best for you. If you're waiting for the DD hunger to disappear, I don't think it will. Just keep doing something for you.

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 01-11-2011 at 08:19 AM..
Old 01-11-2011, 08:57 AM   #94
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MagieDen
Stats: Twoterville/1st. Goal - ONEderland!
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Everyday!
Quote:
Thank you Dawn . I'm really okay. I'll report dinner tomorrow.

This is a reposting from the JUDDD thread but I wanted to keep it here as well.

CherylB I'm so sorry you are struggling with this WOE. Regarding my journal and stats, you didn't know that back in October before this WOE I was following low carb, had a huge setback and gained weight...going from 227.5 to 240 (which was my original weight when I started low carb). I restarted Dec 5 with JUDDD and had a huge loss in the first week, but we both know it was mostly water from my recent re-gain. I have also had two weeks where I lost nothing. If I can average 2lbs a week that would be amazing to me! Don't let my stats discourage you. However~ I don't think abandoning low carb completely is a good idea (for you or me), especially if it has worked for you in the past. My DD's are always ultra low-carb with as much protein as I can pack into it for under 500 calories. I feel eating this way helps me stay satiated more than any other way, including tons of veggies or low calorie rice cakes, etc. My UD's are a time to add something I feel I have missed, like a serving or two of rice or potatoes or pasta (Dreamfields) or a grilled cheese sandwich...know what I mean? I avoid sugar (well maybe not today, I might have birthday cake) and I almost never eat it. My problem with low carb came in the way of not being able to be "good" everyday, then feeling guilt and remorse, then giving up on any kind of plan, gaining weight and being generally miserable. I feel so fortunate that JUDDD is helping me. I'm not a binge eater, not to say I couldn't over eat, but I have always had a problem with portion control. Even low carb portions were too big and made it hard for me to lose weight for the sheer number of calories I was taking in. DD's are hard, no lie, but I find the strength somewhere to stay under 500. I tell myself I can eat tomorrow, and sometimes I go to bed because it's 8 pm and I'm too hungry to stay up. For me personally, it's a show of strength and faith in myself, it's helping to repair my lousy self-esteem. Maybe I'm mentally ill. But that's me. Finding what works for you, finding the best way to be healthy, that's what's important. Keep tweaking your DD meals until you find what works best for you. If you're waiting for the DD hunger to disappear, I don't think it will. Just keep doing something for you.
Good insight into your way of eating and good advice.
MagieDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:17 AM   #95
Major LCF Poster!

Great advice birthday girl.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:19 AM   #96
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I know, I completely skipped yesterday. It was a DD and I did great, however I didn't sleep well the night before (low carb pasta, birthday cake, two glasses of wine=tummy trouble) I went back to bed a 6am after DH left for work and slept until 10:30! By that time it was too late to get online, I had a big mess to clean up (apparently an after birthday tradition) and laundry to do. At any rate it was fun on my birthday and DH gave me his camera. *note: It is "like new" and he bought a different one in November and donated this beloved one to me. So I have this great new camera with a detachable polaroid lense. I'm stoked.

Today is an up day, and a work day. Also it's supposed to be a warm day, mid 70's. Yay! I'm tired of being cold all the time. My apologies to the eastern and mid-western dwellers...but I'm accustomed to being able to open my windows almost every day and lately my house had been stuffy and cold.

After work today I have to shop for salsa, romaine, chicken and more eggs. I always buy organic free roaming chicken eggs. They are more expensive but it's just the two of us most of the time.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:58 AM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

I missed you yesterday and was wondering if you celebrated a little too much from your birthday. Sounds like a great birthday.

I would love some 70 degree weather here but I guess I have to be patient. Have a great UD today.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:52 AM   #98
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princessdmw33 View Post
I missed you yesterday and was wondering if you celebrated a little too much from your birthday. Sounds like a great birthday.

I would love some 70 degree weather here but I guess I have to be patient. Have a great UD today.
Dawn, it's suppose to be 80 degrees, inland today (that's me). I'm going outside for sure!

Today is a down day. I had black coffee (vanilla bean) and 60 cals worth of eggbeaters. I want to find out if they are as satiating as boiled eggs. Planning on the regular Chicken salad for dinner.

I've noticed some things this week that have not happened in the prior weeks on JUDDD. Not sure why, but I think it may be due to eating more carbs on my UD's than I've been accustomed to. I haven't been sleeping as well, mostly after an UD. My stomach is not happy with me. Another thing I've noticed is I don't feel as "flat" in my stomach after a down day. I don't know if I'm adjusting to the ultra low calories or if the initial water weight is gone and everything is going to be slower to deflate? Worst of all, even two glasses of wine on an UD kicks my butt! I don't feel well afterward. Is it the sugar? The carbs? Or both? Yesterday, I passed on wine with dinner, I didn't want to deal with feeling yucky after. I was more awake today when the alarm went off, and I stayed up. The good news is, I don't "dread" the DD's like I did in the beginning. I know I can do it and I still really like the way I feel when I don't have to function on a full stomach. I'm going to curtail the carbs on the next UD and see if I dont have some improvement in the way I sleep and how I feel.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:41 AM   #99
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So I've been thinking about this problem with UD's and I realize that I can't be a higher carb person and feel good, even if I'm eating LC every other day...so I'm setting up a few new guidelines for myself....

Eat low carb/primal 6 days a week. Primal meaning no grains, breads, potatoes etc. but to include lots of LC veggies and LC fruit or some wine if wanted on UD's.
One day a week can be put aside for anything I might be missing: burritos, pizza, pasta etc...to be determined weekly but more than likely on a weekend UD.

I'm not so much worried about weight loss factors as I am in feeling good. I just don't feel as well as I should. I think this will help a lot.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:22 AM   #100
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Quote:
So I've been thinking about this problem with UD's and I realize that I can't be a higher carb person and feel good, even if I'm eating LC every other day...so I'm setting up a few new guidelines for myself....

Eat low carb/primal 6 days a week. Primal meaning no grains, breads, potatoes etc. but to include lots of LC veggies and LC fruit or some wine if wanted on UD's.
One day a week can be put aside for anything I might be missing: burritos, pizza, pasta etc...to be determined weekly but more than likely on a weekend UD.

I'm not so much worried about weight loss factors as I am in feeling good. I just don't feel as well as I should. I think this will help a lot.
This sounds like a great plan. I think it's just a matter of finding the rhythm that works for you and feels best. You might end of making another hundred tweaks, or maybe you'll hit on something and it'll stick. Either way, you are doing a fabulous job of listening to your body, and with that as your guiding principle, you can't be stopped!!
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:46 AM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

Apologizing for typos now. I'm in the car on my phone. I can only drink two glasses of wine now since I have been eating.low carb. After just two I am loopy. My tolerance used to be much higher. I have heard a lot of people say that. I have not had wine in three weeks that is a long time for me not to have just one. Guessing that will change tonight at my step sons house.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:19 AM   #102
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Christine and Dawn!!

Yes I'll bet Ill be tweaking this some more as time goes by. I can't believe how I manage to stay below 500 cals on the DD's but it's almost like a life or death challenge, to do it no matter what. I do listen to my body for sure.

The wine thing is weird, huh? It just kicks my a$$, and because of that it has become far less attractive to me.

Today is a DD, I'm having black coffee w/ splenda and I'm fixin' to boil up some eggs. It's also Sunday, and I need to get busy so I can keep myself off the food subject.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #103
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You can do it! Keep up the great work!!!
Old 01-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hi Christine and Dawn!!

Yes I'll bet Ill be tweaking this some more as time goes by. I can't believe how I manage to stay below 500 cals on the DD's but it's almost like a life or death challenge, to do it no matter what. I do listen to my body for sure.

The wine thing is weird, huh? It just kicks my a$$, and because of that it has become far less attractive to me.

Today is a DD, I'm having black coffee w/ splenda and I'm fixin' to boil up some eggs. It's also Sunday, and I need to get busy so I can keep myself off the food subject.
I feel exactly the same way about wine. I had a sip of it at my step son's on Saturday night. I did not like it at all and could not drink it so that was an easy decision.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:59 AM   #105
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well..crap. I'm still working it everyday, but I'm up .5lbs. I don't get this. I know I need to take my own advice and just ignore the numbers for now. I feel thinner, my clothes fit better, I'm obviously making strides in the right direction, so WTH.

Last week I said if I stayed the same, that's okay because I know I'll lose next week and if not, the week after. Tough talk but I didn't expect to come up 1/2 a pound! It's like I jinxed myself. I'm looking for something to blame so I'm going to blame it on my birthday. Cake. Then after a down day, leftover cake. And not enough movement. I need to move more. I'm glad I don't weigh everyday, I would make myself crazy. I've just recently implemented lower carb eating on UD's so I need to give that a chance to take effect. All in all I've still lost fifteen pounds so far and I have a mini goal of 5 more pounds by Valentines Day.

Christine, I know you work very hard and still have gains after being perfect so I'm going to try to chill and wait it out.

Excerpt from New you thread (for my own keeping here)
On that note, Arrrgh! I have not lost any weight in two weeks, in fact I've gone up .5lbs. If I said this didn't distress me somewhat, I'd be lying. Is it going to deter me from JUDDD? No way. I've lost a solid 15lbs since 12/5. That is a good 2.5 lbs a week on average and that is a big Woo Hoo! Is it easier to JUDDD when the scale shows a loss? You bet, but I have to face the fact that I may not see a loss every week and I still need to stay motivated. Some down days are really hard. I have to tell myself that I'm in a life or death situation here (mine). I have successfully completed every down day I have had, some easier than others (some radically difficult) with the life or death scenario in mind. Even though the scale is being stubborn (almost perverse) I will continue.

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 01-19-2011 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: adding excerpt
Old 01-19-2011, 06:51 AM   #106
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JK130
Stats: 280/152/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: 7.1.09
yep. definately cr*p! exactly that.

and, on top of that...totally sucky

and now...sigh...it's also totally normal. keep on strong lady. you are doing great! you're correct to reflect on your cals, your carbs, your salt intake, your activity and your water...the rest of the stuff (including hormones) also factors in, and is beyond the control of most of us.

it WILL happen.

i say so!!
JK130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:52 AM   #107
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You have the right attitude, Blonde, and with that you will undoubtedly be successful! So many variables influence weight; you can certainly be "perfect" and do all the right things in all the right ways and STILL see fluctuations. But you know that you're doing what's best for your body and mind, and in the long term, you WILL see the numbers you seek!! Keep up the great work, my friend!
Old 01-19-2011, 07:01 AM   #108
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaay View Post
yep. definately cr*p! exactly that.

and, on top of that...totally sucky

and now...sigh...it's also totally normal. keep on strong lady. you are doing great! you're correct to reflect on your cals, your carbs, your salt intake, your activity and your water...the rest of the stuff (including hormones) also factors in, and is beyond the control of most of us.

it WILL happen.

i say so!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineCQ View Post
You have the right attitude, Blonde, and with that you will undoubtedly be successful! So many variables influence weight; you can certainly be "perfect" and do all the right things in all the right ways and STILL see fluctuations. But you know that you're doing what's best for your body and mind, and in the long term, you WILL see the numbers you seek!! Keep up the great work, my friend!
Thank you both! I so needed to hear some encouraging words. Today is an UD and I'm making myself a low carb lunch of burger, veggies and a little cheese. Yum. I'll drink lots of water day as well and try to stick with a big protein filled salad for dinner. I know I can do this, I just don't get to pick the timetable.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:04 AM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

you are rockin the timetable! 15 pounds in 6 weeks?!!!
Old 01-19-2011, 07:17 AM   #110
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaay View Post
you are rockin the timetable! 15 pounds in 6 weeks?!!!
I know!! What a whiner I am!
Old 01-19-2011, 07:57 AM   #111
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My mission today is to visit Henrys Market and get some shiritaki noodles for my DD's. I read on the JUDDD thread that they are very filling and since I've struggled the last couple of DD's w/ hunger, this may help a bit. One of the great things about this WOE is that I've learned what "hunger" really is, I mean, I've learned the difference between hunger and boredom, as in "you can't be hungry, you just ate an hour ago. This is a very good thing.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:07 AM   #112
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
My mission today is to visit Henrys Market and get some shiritaki noodles for my DD's. I read on the JUDDD thread that they are very filling and since I've struggled the last couple of DD's w/ hunger, this may help a bit. One of the great things about this WOE is that I've learned what "hunger" really is, I mean, I've learned the difference between hunger and boredom, as in "you can't be hungry, you just ate an hour ago. This is a very good thing.
Absolutely! And I always use the water and egg test: Drink a full (16 oz) glass of water. Wait ten minutes. Am I still "hungry"? If so, I ask myself, "Could I eat an egg?" If yes, ok. Eat. If no, go find something else to do.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:01 AM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

You are doing great! Take it from me in that I understand the daily fluctuations and how frustrating it can be. I just keep on going and don't stop. It is about the only thing in my life that I have followed through on in a long time.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:42 AM   #114
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thursday DD for me. Eggs are cooling in the pan, shiritki noodles are ready to eat with some miso soup (25/20 cals, respectively) when I get home from work, then chicken salad for dinner. At Henrys yesterday I bought dehydrated miso soup, and two types of 0 calorie dressing. I hope I like them, they were on sale so I thought I would give them a try. I also bought some 100 calorie bars to keep in my purse, just in case... and to maybe keep my UD calories in check. I also bought a sugar free angel food cake and one piece after dinner gave me the worst gasssssss ever. Nuff said.:blush: Work today, then home to finish the laundry. Yesterday I cleaned out my linen closet and donated a lot of stuff, and I'm washing everything.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:55 AM   #115
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Friday Up Day (yippee, I made it!)

Yesterday was good. Work was good, tips were good! I left early for work and stopped by Pier 1 Imports to pick up two lovely salad bowls. About 9/10 inches across and about 1 1/2 inches deep, they are perfect for a nice big "dinner" salad. No lettuce sliding off the edge, no little "soup" bowls that don't hold much, they are technically Italian-style pasta plates, hand painted and gorgeous. One for me and one for DH. I had my DD salad in mine and DH had oven burritos on a big bed of romaine in his.

You know what I wish? I wish every meal tasted as good as my DD chicken breast salad. Seriously, it's about the best thing I've ever had, every time I eat it. Last night I added a tablespoon of Walden Farms 0 cal "Ranch and Bacon dressing" to my salsa. MMM good. I always feel great after I eat this. Is it because I'm starving at the time? IDK. I just love it. There is something to be said about waiting until you're hungry to eat. I'm sure learning the difference.

I'm not weighing in until Sunday morning. I hope I see some scale changes but if I don't I'm still seeing "changes" in me and in my clothes. It's so nice to report a loss, but I'm hanging in no matter what. I know this WOE is helping me and the scale will have to budge eventually.

Note* I have not had a headache the entire time I've been doing this. In fact I think I've only taken Advil a couple of times for body aches after work, before bed. I use my rescue inhaler infrequently now, where as I was using it once a day every morning. Is the diet the reason? The website says there have been improvements in people who have asthma, so this could be the side effect I was hoping for. I do use a steroid inhaler, but not daily like I should, because I'm not wheezing and I forget to use it!

My biggest issue still is exercise! Not enough, not frequently enough. How am I going to make myself do this. I know I need to, I have to build up muscle strength, I need to burn calories...I wish I could be as consistent with that as I am with the diet.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:37 AM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Friday Up Day (yippee, I made it!)

Yesterday was good. Work was good, tips were good! I left early for work and stopped by Pier 1 Imports to pick up two lovely salad bowls. About 9/10 inches across and about 1 1/2 inches deep, they are perfect for a nice big "dinner" salad. No lettuce sliding off the edge, no little "soup" bowls that don't hold much, they are technically Italian-style pasta plates, hand painted and gorgeous. One for me and one for DH. I had my DD salad in mine and DH had oven burritos on a big bed of romaine in his.

You know what I wish? I wish every meal tasted as good as my DD chicken breast salad. Seriously, it's about the best thing I've ever had, every time I eat it. Last night I added a tablespoon of Walden Farms 0 cal "Ranch and Bacon dressing" to my salsa. MMM good. I always feel great after I eat this. Is it because I'm starving at the time? IDK. I just love it. There is something to be said about waiting until you're hungry to eat. I'm sure learning the difference.

I'm not weighing in until Sunday morning. I hope I see some scale changes but if I don't I'm still seeing "changes" in me and in my clothes. It's so nice to report a loss, but I'm hanging in no matter what. I know this WOE is helping me and the scale will have to budge eventually.

Note* I have not had a headache the entire time I've been doing this. In fact I think I've only taken Advil a couple of times for body aches after work, before bed. I use my rescue inhaler infrequently now, where as I was using it once a day every morning. Is the diet the reason? The website says there have been improvements in people who have asthma, so this could be the side effect I was hoping for. I do use a steroid inhaler, but not daily like I should, because I'm not wheezing and I forget to use it!

My biggest issue still is exercise! Not enough, not frequently enough. How am I going to make myself do this. I know I need to, I have to build up muscle strength, I need to burn calories...I wish I could be as consistent with that as I am with the diet.
Every time you mention your salad it always sounds so good and makes me want one. One of these days I will try and make one just like you do.

Headaches - I have been eating low carb for over a year now and my migraines have decreased significantly. I used to get my Relpax refilled every month, I only get 6 a month and would go through them. With the exception of when I have had some bad sinus headaches I very rarely take them. (They work for my sinus headaches too). I still have two left from December and haven't had to call in a refill yet so that is good. Seeing that I have been dealing with headaches for most of my life, I can only think that it is this WOE that has helped.

The same thing goes for the aches and pains. I very rarely take ibuprofen anymore and usually only do around my period and cramps. Then I just inhale the stuff. Again, it has to be this WOE. My tendon in my foot has not bothered me in such a long time, my knees very rarely ache anymore. Need I go on?

Exercise will come for you when you are ready. Don't fret on it and don't rush it.

You are doing awesome.

Dawn

The best predictor of future behavior is relevant past behavior.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:02 AM   #117
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dawn~
Old 01-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

write down here all the movement you do. you'll be surprised maybe at your activity level. your data showing that you do more than you think (or maybe less) might be motivating to you.

another thought is to shift your thinking about exercise goals. what do you want to be able to do at the end of exercising? i didn't want to do jumping jacks, but i did want want to be flexible enough to play with my grandsons on the floor, and have enough endurance and strength to safely have fun with them outdoors. i started trying the things i liked with the boys instead of avoiding them, and couldn''t do them very well at all. Sadly, just getting up and down from the floor was quite difficult. Just pushing swings at the park was tiring.

Later (much later in my dieting journey than you are now contemplating) i added the things i didn't like so much...a tiny bit at a time. as i got a little stronger i could do more, and it felt good. i still can't run as fast as the little dudes (3, 4, 7) but i can walk, hike, bike ride, swim or skate with them all day long! i still don't love the treadmill or weight machines, but i love playing with my guys!

do you have something you really want to do that requires developing strength, stamina or flexibility? i hope my experiences help you...and if not, just reflecting reminds me that i need another activity goal.

you're doin' good, lady!
Old 01-22-2011, 06:25 PM   #119
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I completely agree, Jan. I am now adding the things I don't like (pushups and planks). But prior to that, exercise was just about enjoyment. I started doing Zumba because I like to dance. I used to play racquetball because I like competition. You can do all sorts of exercise that doesn't seem like exercise!!
Old 01-23-2011, 07:46 AM   #120
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ladies, great advice! Here's the rub for me... I have a gym membership and I love to swim, however I HATE to be seen in a bathing suit. I keep hoping I'll get the gumption to get another suit and start again. I love to walk and I do that often but I feel not enough walking to make a big difference. Jan, don't even get me started about getting off the floor...I can do it but it funny to watch (I'm sure). I know excuses when I hear them and I am full of excuses. I live by a beautiful park with a lake and bird habitat to keep even the pickiest bird watcher, happy. It's a two minute drive, a 10 minute walk from me, why am I not there every morning??? It baffles me. I am perverse. I will tell myself once again that I will be at the park at 7 am starting this week and go from there. Will I listen to me? When my children were small, I wore out strollers and replaced them constantly. Maybe I'm missing the company. I have a few people who would walk with me if I asked but they talk and natter and talk and jabber and make me wish I'd stayed home. LOL!! Is someone cranky? You bet. I did not lose any weight to show on the scale last week and I'm still up 1/2 lb. I feel thinner, I know something good is happening, it's just is not giving me any scale love.

Today is an UD and work day. I have lunch shift at the worlds greatest Italian chain...at least I'll be walking and lifting for a few hours. Yesterday went great! My down days are spot on and perfect...maybe my UD's are the problem.

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 01-23-2011 at 07:48 AM..