Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #1111
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/229.8/125
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
DD yesterday, tough but I made it. I don't remember them being so hard last time, but maybe I need to give it a few months to adapt. A lot of self talk, for sure. I woke up hungry this morning and have not eaten yet. I did 45 minutes on the indoor bike, my knees are groaning and hopefully I won't be hurting tomorrow.

Frankly overall, I feel like crap. My joints ache, my hands hurt and every time I sit for more than a few minutes I stiffen up in my feet and ankles. I'm pretty sure I could eat with more nutrition in mind on my up days, and it would probably help a lot. I think I wrestle with my UP "diet" most days with confusion. I love carbs and they apparently hate me. I don't know why it's so hard to give up things that I know are making me feel bad. I hopped on the scale last Saturday morning and was at 218.2. Better than 220 but still not what I had hoped. I know up days area ll about normal eating but I need to find a good normal whatever that might be.
6/27~226.6
8/01~235
8/06~233
8/15~229.8
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #1112
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Sorry you're not feeling great, Blonde. Have you considered limiting the wheat on your DD? That might help with the inflammation in your joints.
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #1113
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ah Christine, I'm positive that wheat is a bad idea for me...I can't seem to leave it alone. I guess I'm gearing up for doing just that...leaving it. It's in everything you know. It's hard to wrap my head around dropping it like a bad friend. I've read so much about wheat (grains) and the arthritis connection. I need to make the sacrifice, just not sure how to do it.

Had a nice omelet this morning with bacon and cheese and a piece of low carb bread (wheat gluten).
Old 10-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #1114
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wheat is a tricky little devil! Makes you feel great in the short-term and terrible in the long-term. Kind of like a one-night stand? Not that I know.

Anyway, I feel just the same about sugar. When I eat it, I feel terrible. AS I'm eating it, I know I'll pay for it later.

But of course I still eat it.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:57 PM   #1115
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

If only I could have a mere one-night-stand with wheat...unfortunately I'm having a long-term affair...but I'm taking (mental) steps to stop, I just need to get DH on board. I've pulled out my LC/Paleo/Atkins/South Beach/Primal books and am making a game plan. I wish I new how long it will take to feel results in my joints. I've started my exercise program (finally) now I need to cut the grain carbs way down. I still plan to JUDDD, but without wheat! It's funny (well, not really) how I go back and forth...it's like smoking. I knew I shouldn't and yet I kept doing it. If I can stop smoking, surely I can eliminate wheat from my diet. How hard can it be????? We'll see. I do plan on learning to make some low carb treats so that I don't feel deprived on my Up day, then sticking with eggbeaters, chicken and salad for DD's. That seems to work the best for me. I'm saying this here to keep myself accountable!
Old 10-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #1116
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Well, if you figure out how to have a fling with it be sure to let me know!

Interestingly, once I get going with the low carb eating I find that I don't crave so much the bready stuff. However, this time around, this grip that high carb stuff has on me is relentless and strong. It's been VERY hard! Even "knowing" that it's going to affect me later, still making decisions to eat it
Very intrigued in the wheat thing... I am miserable!!!!

Yes, you CAN do this! Making those snacks will help keep you on track, great idea!!

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
DesertGurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:35 AM   #1117
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Smoking is a great analogy, Blonde. You kicked that habit, and you can kick this one, too. Your body will thank you!
Old 10-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #1118
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGurl View Post
Well, if you figure out how to have a fling with it be sure to let me know!

Interestingly, once I get going with the low carb eating I find that I don't crave so much the bready stuff. However, this time around, this grip that high carb stuff has on me is relentless and strong. It's been VERY hard! Even "knowing" that it's going to affect me later, still making decisions to eat it
Very intrigued in the wheat thing... I am miserable!!!!

Yes, you CAN do this! Making those snacks will help keep you on track, great idea!!
Thanks Danielle! I'm so sorry you're miserable and I can relate. I know what I should do but sometimes I can not do it. One day, one meal, one snack, one mistake at a time. Hang in there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineCQ View Post
Smoking is a great analogy, Blonde. You kicked that habit, and you can kick this one, too. Your body will thank you!
Christine, I can kick it, I know I can...plan the work and work the plan. It's been a long time since my body has thanked me for anything, except maybe the sarcastic voice "thanks a lot, you did this to yourself...idiot." I am better today, I've avoided wheat for two whole days.

Yesterday I got out my L/C cookbooks and found some great recipes. I even made almond bread which was a complete disaster. I followed directions exactly and what I got was a tasty and incredibly dense non-bread. I sliced it thin and re-baked and got some thin non-crackers. Oh well, I'll attempt to make l/c bread again sometime but I'll stick with regular ol' store-bought LC bread for now. My main goal for now is to stay away from wheat, so I'm accomplishing that (currently).

Rode my house-bike 45 minutes this morning!

Oh I forgot to mention that I got out my hypnosis for weight loss cd and I'm listening at bedtime. It couldn't hurt right?

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 10-11-2012 at 09:30 AM..
Old 10-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #1119
Blabbermouth!!!

Great job on the bike riding honey pie! I need to get back to exercising, but I am dreading it.

Sorry about the bread. Is it edible at least? What lc bread do you use?

Have a great day lady, we can do this!!
Old 10-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #1120
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I feel good when I exercise but I forget that fact every morning before I exercise!

Oh the bread is edible...tastes good with a shmear of cream cheese. Then again, what doesn't? I guess I was looking for "bread" bread. I use Julian low carb bread when I can get it! They have one made from coconut flour. I have a whole loaf of "other" L/C bread in my fridge that has it's first ingredient listed as wheat gluten. It sounded good at the time but I think it may have been the trigger. What's a girl to do? Tonight's fare will be spaghetti squash with meat sauce, sprinkled with parmesan cheese. Hope hubby likes it.....
Old 10-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #1121
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Blonde- I control my severe osteoarthritis (no meds at all) by eating very low carb--no grains, sugar, starches. If I decide to 'indulge' and have a sugary dessert--my joints ache terribly for the next 24 hours. So I know it's avoiding the carbs that's keeping me relatively pain free (I only get pain if I forget and 'overdo' it with too much exercise or housework).

I just decided in my old age that I'd rather be healthy than continue my passionate affair with food. Now I eat well, but I keep the 'bad guys' at a distance.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #1122
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Leo!!!! It's so good to hear from you, I think about you quite often! You know I'm no spring chicken either, I hate the idea of living my life out on painkillers, especially if I can help control the pain with diet and exercise. I know you have other health issues like hypothyroidism...may I ask, how many carbs do you eat typically in a day? Besides the obvious that we've discussed, are there any low carb items that you avoid as well? Are you still JUDDDING? I feel sometimes that I blunder around, doing it all wrong. Maybe I need to be more patient, but I can't seem to lose an ounce. I've gained back half of the weight I lost on JUDDD. Thanks in advance for letting me pick your brain!

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 10-11-2012 at 12:00 PM..
Old 10-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #1123
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You know I'm always researching stuff....my husband thinks I could get some sort of Doctorate in just what I know about diets,. I read and watch and study and listen. The main problem I've experienced with all of this "knowledge" is that much of it contradicts the rest of it, if you know what I mean? So, I decided to research...myself, in this journal. I went back and read several pages of dialog with myself and others (mostly my LC besties here). What did I discover? Let me break it down:

1 Juddd has never been easy for me, just successful for me.
2 I did low carb on my UD's. I had forgotten that. 50-100 tops.
3 My attitude was better then, I believed in myself. I haven't believed a thing I've said lately. Truly, I've lost confidence.
4 I had confidence because I worked the plan. I lack confidence because I keep changing the plan. I think I change the plan because I lack confidence.
5 In order to regain confidence in myself I must work the plan.

I know this all sounds a little redundant. The truth is it took me a year to lose forty pounds. Why would I think that a few weeks on JUDDD is going to rock my world? I need to remember the loss and gain of the same ten pounds over and over again in 2010 was a waste of an entire year in terms of dieting. That was my main purpose to change my eating habits and the way I think about food. To alternate my calories for a gradual reduction of weight based on total calorie intake for the week or month, not a day to day diet. If I'm going to be completely honest with myself I have look at my diet on my up days. Have the calories been exorbitant? Maybe. Sometimes. Have I eaten way more sugar than I normally do. Yes. Sugar has never been a problem for me, because I don't eat it. But I have been. Sugar and flour. Bloating and achy joints. A bad combination.

Tomorrow is a DD. I can deal with that. It's my up days I need to take control of here and now. I've had no sugar for a couple of days, I need to keep it that way. Not having a day to day "diet" is no excuse for the every other day of making bad choices. DD's are almost a relief because I know what I'm having. 500 calories. I'm going to have to structure my up days until I become adapted to eating that way. Structured. Low carb. This is something that has been flying around my head for days now and I had to put it on paper to make it tangible. I know what I have to do. Now I just have to do it.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:37 AM   #1124
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

These are important reflections, Blonde!! Any time you can reinforce the knowledge you have -- the answers within -- you are spending your time wisely!!

P.S. Did DH like the squash?
Old 10-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #1125
Blabbermouth!!!

Wow, you've done some real reflection. It's refreshing when we can finally be honest with ourselves, isn't it?

I think we all want that *magic pill* and to wake up at goal. The good thing is you realize that this is about lifestyle changes and not so much about a diet. It is hard to undo a lifetime of eating a different way! You will get back into the swing of things and everything will come into perfect focus to you again. Keep doing what you're doing and you will string up some amazing losses...just remember, as hard as it is, time is our friend. The best part is, that time is going to lapse no matter what, and you are doing everything in your power to see a smaller, healthier you in that time. YOU can do this!! I'm right there with ya.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #1126
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi girls! Yes Christine, the squash was delicious! I served DH a small bowl w/ Alfredo sauce and he thought it was amazing! I served him quinoa pasta with the meat sauce and he didn't notice the difference. I had squash with meat sauce and squash w/ alfredo. I like the meat sauce the best and I didn't miss the pasta at all. So, success!

Danielle it took a lot to admit to that stuff, but it's ridiculous to lie to oneself. Maybe delude is a better word than lie. I knew all of those things, I just needed to put them together in a way that makes sense to me. I was eating things on my up days that I really wouldn't eat in my everyday life. Cookies and stuff like that don't even appeal to me and it felt like emotional eating or bingeing or whatever you might call it. Compulsive eating. That's it. In my normal day to day diet I would never consider cookies or candy an option anymore than I would eat donuts which I would NEVER eat on principal alone. No wonder I felt so bad. I'm working on low carb clean eating on my up days as well as my DD's. We'll see how it goes, but I'm no longer anticipating immediate results.

eggbeaters omelet w/ FFcheese
1 slicew lc bread
coffee w/ creamer

45 minutes on the home-bike this morning. That's three times. 2 more than I've done in a LOOONG time!
Old 10-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #1127
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Down 2lbs to 216.2! I think it's a combo of no bread, lower carb and home-bike! I'm delighted!
Old 10-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #1128
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Great news! You earned it, lady!!
Old 10-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #1129
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Christine! I'll take 2lbs down anytime!

I'm continuing my quest for the WOE that will help me to get this weight moving and off of me. Changing to low carb on my up days seems to be making a difference. I've tried to avoid wheat as much as possible and it seems to help a lot. I have a low carb bread that has wheat gluten in it and I'm still having a slice of that everyday...but no real bread, pizza, pasta etc. My hip pain that comes when I sleep on my side is gone. No kidding. I'm way less bloated than before and I feel pretty good. My cravings have diminished quite a bit. I made some sugar free cheese cake bites with almond crust from George Stella's book and they are pretty tasty. Tomorrow is my down day and I think it will be easier after several days of low carbing, but not easy. I have to remember that, it is not easy.

I skipped the home-bike yesterday but not today.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #1130
Blabbermouth!!!

Congrat's on your loss!! Fantastic news!!!!!

When I'm eating how I should I feel so much better inside & out. Almost *clean* if that makes sense. Amazing how much better it is to sleep without those pains throbbing while you sleep, huh? Mine goes away too when I'm eating clean. Love it!

Definitely not easy, but it's doable!!!

Compulsive eating: that's me

Keep it up, Beautiful. You are amazing.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #1131
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Really good news on the hip pain, Blonde! Keep up the great work!

Not easy, but nothing worth it ever is.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:12 AM   #1132
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Monday Monday....

LC Toast
Eggbeaters omelet w/ff cheese
coffee

38 minutes on the home-bike (that's all I could do)
50 minutes yesterday!

Thanks so much for the kudos and encouragement Christine and Danielle! I know what you mean by clean eating, Danielle. It's a great feeling. I'm taking my cue from everyone else here and taking it one day at a time. My body is telling me it is happy without the huge amounts of carbs and I'm trying to listen (for a change). Like anything else that needs to be eliminated due to bad reaction I must not make excuses for eating the wrong stuff. Addiction can take over reason at times. Like smoking, like wheat addiction. If I can remind myself and remember how bad it makes me feel, that will help me in the long term.

DD today. Salad for dinner tonight. Off to work!
Old 10-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #1133
Blabbermouth!!!

Have a great day today Sweets! It's definitely wonderful to be able to feel like a human again. The effects from wheat, flour & sugar and what it does to me is just dispicable. I'm so thankful that I have found a way of eating that makes me feel good and grateful that I don't have to starve to death.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #1134
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Danielle! Sounds like we both have wheat problems! When I get kinda desperate (not now) I start thinking about WW and how if I join then I can eat anything as long as I stay within my points, right? That would be good if I could do that but I can't...eating wheat in any normal form sends me off on a tangent, pretty soon I can't get enough, start to go over points, start to feel awful and hopeless and lost etc.... I think you can relate. Just keep doing the best you can and the reward will come in confidence and weight loss, I'm right there with you.

Up day today and I'm experimenting. Making George Stella's Mac N Cheese (hint, the mac is cauliflower) for dinner. I'm making a small batch in case it's not good ( or in case it's really really good, ) For breakfast I had grilled cheese on coconut paleo bread. 1 carb per slice, not remotely like bread but I guess I need to get used to that! I think I want a little cheese today. I know that it's a bad idea to go overboard so I really am doing small. I think I want some carnitas with my cauliflower tonight. Doesn't that sound yummy? I'll get a side of carnitas at the Mexican place up the hill. DH can have tacos. I also have an unopened carton of low carb vanilla ice cream for a small dish later. It's actually been in my freezer for 5 days, unopened.

No home-bike yet but the plan is for 45 minutes a little later today. I have some housecleaning to do first. Don't want to wear myself out before I do the work....

Have a fabulous day!!
Old 10-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #1135
Blabbermouth!!!

I cannot even begin to tell you the amount of times I've gone back to WW with the mindset that you wrote about....all because I was trying to figure out a way to *make it ok* to continue to eat carbs...even in "limited" amounts.. And yep, what ALWAYS happens is I get cravings, I find excuses to use up extra points, and then it's all downhill from there.. awful! I just cannot be allowed to sit for days on end eating carby things.. a meal once in a while doesn't hurt me, but it has to stop there and that's it.

Can't wait to hear your review on the man n cheese! I had to laugh because my DD16 used to watch George's cooking show and freak out at the way he cooked...licked his fingers a few times or something.. Recipe sounds lovely I hope it ends up being a keeper!

Have a great day mama, you're doing great!! ♥♥
Old 10-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #1136
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dani I know exactly what you mean! Remember the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results! That's me trying to be normal. Well I'm not normal and I would wager money that most people with severe weight problems aren't normal, either. My Mom, would ask me "Why can't you just do it this way?" I had no answer then except "I don't know." I felt weak and like something was wrong with me because I couldn't lose weight the "normal" way. It's funny I get the same questions from my eldest DD. "Why do you have to JUDDD? Can't you just join Weight Watchers"? She hates it that I have three down days a week. I don't know why..Apparently I lack the "thing" that allows one to not overeat or binge or eat emotionally or whatever. I know that LC reduces cravings immensely. I know that wheat is my triggerfood and damn it it's in everything! I know that I will be fighting against this forever. Hopefully it will get easier, with time and control.

The mac n cheese dish is baking a this moment and looks good. I had no idea how much cauliflower shrinks after you squeeze the water out...it may be too cheesy...I may have to add more cauli.

PS: The dish looks great! I microwaved an additional 2 cups of cauli/carrot/broccoli/squash mix (Normandy vegs), squeezed out the water, mixed it in, and broiled to get the nice golden topping back. I can't wait to serve it!!

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 10-16-2012 at 10:32 AM..
Old 10-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #1137
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Non-starchy white sauce

While I'm adding recipes:

3/4 C chicken broth
1/4 C of half n half (ff or reg)
1/2 tsp gluc powder
salt/pepper/onion powder to taste

Blender it for no lumps then pour into a pan and heat until thickened.

This made a filling snack when I was starving yesterday but I'll bet it could be made into a nice bechamel sauce or a cheese sauce with the addition of your favorite cheese to the mix...like cheddar or parmesan for Alfredo sauce. Maybe a finely chopped sauteed onion or some mushrooms. A lucky find. I only added the half n half because I wanted more volume and only had 3/4 of a cup of chicken broth.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #1138
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ditto, Blonde! I find it incredible when I hear people say things like, "Just eat less and move more."

Ah! I see the light! It's all so simple now!
Old 10-17-2012, 07:06 AM   #1139
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Eat less move more...words to go crazy by.......I will try that one when I have 3lbs to goal.

DD today, work day today. I want to report a weird phenomenon. Up day, not very hungry. Made the great mac n cheese had some with some chicken...it tasted good. Had LC ice cream for desert. Had two glasses of Pinot Noir. Paleo toast and cheese for breakfast. A couple of tablespoons of peanut butter for lunch. I know that sounds like plenty of food, the weird part was feeling full and satisfied after each meal. It's a good feeling, to not be searching through the cabinets looking for something, anything. Tomorrow I will attempt to make cauliflower pizza crust.

Triple digit HOT today. Will it ever be Fall????
Old 10-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #1140
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good for you! Sounds like a wonderful experience! One of my own big fears about allowing myself to eat higher calories is that I'll eat just for the sake of eating; as in, "I'm allowed so I'm gonna do it!" Happens with LC eating when I allow myself to "cheat." Going to have one cookie? Might as well have six! Anyway, good for you for paying attention to the fact that you felt full and satisfied!

Also, Pinot Noir? My most favorite wine ever!! Hope you survive the heat! I cannot imagine that kind of temp in October!!!!

"When I run, it's me against myself, which means that I always lose." ~Christine

Weight loss journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ney-maker.html