Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2011, 07:54 AM   #451
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Keep up the great work, Blonde!!! Exercise on vacation? You're awesome!
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2011, 07:12 PM   #452
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JK130
Stats: 280/152/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: 7.1.09
isn't it funny that we so anticipate a vacation...and then are equally enthusiastic about getting home to our own bed, own routines, own food choices...

i know you'll have wonderful, vivid memories of your sweet grandaughters and the rest of your family (and regarding issues you alluded to...it wouldn't be family get together time without at least some drama

yum! BBQ is my favorite food! i especially love grilled meats.

have a safe trip home
JK130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:54 AM   #453
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/226.6/125
WOE: Currently 5:2 w/ a 3rd all fruit & veg day
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Hi Christine and Jan!

Oh you are so spot on! Anticipation and my "mind's" view of vacation is never what I thought. I'm enjoying my girls and counting down for home....human nature I guess. I miss my animals... even though DD has a charming 6 month old chihuahua that could pass for a fruit bat!

Wicked weather this way cometh! Clouds are brewing up something particularly nasty in the east...hail and tornado warnings. SoCal is looking better and better. Although, I must say... the greenery here, the sheer tone of all over green is amazing and beautiful. Everywhere you drive there's another bridge with another creek or river flowing under it. Yesterday on our walk a groundhog popped out of the bushes, stared for a brief time and then crawled back under. I saw a small deer eating on the edge of someones lawn in town. A big black snake crossing the road...these are things not found on your everyday southern California walk-about.

DD today. I'm going to be successful!
6/27~226.6
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:28 AM   #454
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

HOME SWEET HOME

I'm home and happy to be away from tornadoes, super cell thunderstorms and micro-bursts. My daughters little house was 50 miles from Joplin MO, and we spent most of that evening in the closets. No basements, no safe rooms. We watched the storm approach. Black and roiling, swirling above. I've never seen a sky look like that and I never want to again. DD's neighbor, an ER nurse came over and told us her hospital in Bentonville had just gone into crisis alert, that Joplin had been hit hard and the hospital there was moving patients through out the region. 30 minutes later it was announced that St Josephs Hospital was hit. I was scared that night, but when I saw the devastation on the news the next day, I was sick. DH and I were leaving that day, leaving our family there. We drove a hundred miles out of our way to avoid the 44/Joplin area. Every night we slept in a new place and woke up to news of tornadoes that happened where we were driving the day before...Arkansas, Oklahoma City, Texas. It felt like we raced the storms in our car, driving west each day as fast as the law allowed us. On the day we reached Flagstaff we drove in 40 mile an hour hot winds across the New Mexico desert. My hands we sore from squeezing the steering wheel, our gas mileage sucked, we sniped at each other. Two hours before Flagstaff AZ my slight discomfort from a UTI became excruciating pain that would not quit and I made it to town just in time to miss the urgent care hours. I swallowed Cystex and waited for morning. At 7 am I was at the door of an Urgent Care in Flagstaff, urine tested, and given antibiotics and a pain reliever that made orange pee but made the pain go away.....the last 9 hours home felt like a hundred years...but I am home. My youngest DD had scrubbed my house clean, sparkling kitchen, shining floors, and the sweet smell of furniture polish. She'd watered all the flower beds and roses right before we got home. Everything was fresh an welcoming. I've never been so grateful, for my family, my animals, my high desert home.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:24 AM   #455
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OMG, Blonde!!! How scary!!!! So sorry to hear about the trauma......but so glad you are home safe!!! Thoughts going out to those who are in the middle of all of this! Welcome back. You were missed!
Old 05-27-2011, 08:43 AM   #456
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I know Christine! I don't know how they are ever going to recover in Joplin. I hated leaving my family there and have begged them to come home repeatedly since. I'll take a good ol' earthquake any day.

I missed all of you too. It was hard to get online and I was surrounded by loving family almost all of the time. I pitched JUDDD to a couple of curious relatives and for the most part I stayed on the straight and narrow. Twice I had two UD's in a row, didn't fret too much about it, after all I was on vacation. I weighed in this morning down to 211.6 from 213 so I guess I did alright!

I don't have to go back to work until next week so I have Memorial Day off. I do regret not getting to visit my Dads grave site in Fayetteville, but the weather got too bad to be driving around. Today is sunny and mild and fairly cloudless in the most Southern of California. That's the way I like it.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:55 PM   #457
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Princessdmw33
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: November, 2009
Wow Blonde that sounds so scary. I am so glad that you are home safe and sound. I can understand you begging your daughter to move back to CA with you because I would too. These storms are unreal and so incredibly sad. I am thinking that I would take the chance of an earthquake right now over all of these devastating tornado's happening all around us.

I am glad you are back and am so sorry about your UTI! Ugh.
Princessdmw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:51 AM   #458
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Another amazing day in Southern California. Did I mention that I'm so happy to be home? Doing great on JUDDD. I think we will BBQ today, Memorial Day...and I'll probably call it a medium day.

Being home has been so nice, DH is still off work til the 1st of June and we've been hanging around the house, doing a little gardening (very little) and cooking dinner outside almost everyday. I'm finishing my antibiotics today, and dread a rebound of the UTI. Here's hoping its gone...

Hope everyone has a good day!!
Old 05-30-2011, 10:26 AM   #459
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Enjoy your time at home!!! Hope you're feeling top notch soon!
Old 06-01-2011, 06:14 AM   #460
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Happy June 1st! Today is the "unofficial" anniversary of "going steady" with my husband. 37 years ago he gave me a beautiful black hills gold ring and solemnly told me "if it doesn't work out, the ring is yours to keep". Later this month on Fathers Day we'll celebrate our 34th wedding anniversary. Like I would give up a guy like like that!? Over the years we've seen each other at our best and worst. We've both lost our parents, I've lost two siblings. When his father died he lost his siblings as well...another story for another decade. He's put on a pound or three over the years...I've been up and down but mostly up for the last 20 or so. He tells me I'm beautiful. I mostly believe him. He has always supported me financially and emotionally (I've returned the favor, working 60 hour weeks for many years so he could make a stab at entrepreneurship). For the last five months he has eaten a DD salad with me almost every other day, just to make it easier on me. He hasn't grumbled one time because I was having a DD and couldn't go out to eat, or had to delay a trip to In-N-Out Burger, at least for a day. He cheers for me, tells me I'm saving my own life, marvels at my will to succeed, this time. I'm so grateful for his love and support. However long we are allowed to be together, it will never be enough time. I say these things as a tribute, as truth. I am a blessed woman.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:36 AM   #461
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blonde, I have tears in my eyes!! This is so incredibly sweet and amazing; you are both such wonderful people for honoring your commitment to one another with such fortitude. Happy, happy anniversary to you both!
Old 06-01-2011, 07:31 AM   #462
Major LCF Poster!

Old 06-01-2011, 07:48 AM   #463
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princessdmw33 View Post

You better believe it!
Old 06-01-2011, 08:25 AM   #464
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've missed my journal, being gone so long and having no time to write. DH started back to work today So I have some free time before work. I popped over to the Summer won't be a bummer challenge. It's been moving very slowly, I get that. It's hard to stay focused and on track all of the time. I notice that prolific, upbeat writers have slowed to a crawl (myself included). I don't know why it's so hard to be upbeat everyday but it is. People begin to talk of the non-responsive scale, of cheating, back-sliding and giving up altogether or just dropping out and slinking away in shame. I know I have pulled way back from the thread in part because I don't want to be deemed a "Pollyana". I don't want to be sneered at because in my eyes I have been successful. But really...What makes a success? Is it attitude? Stick-to-it-tiveness? Pounds lost? Insight gained? All of the above? How about patience? Patience to come to a place that works for you. Patience to keep doing it, no matter how stubborn the scale is being (right, Christine)? Patience with yourself for being fallible? If insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results, then we "dieters" are all insane! Or are we crazy like foxes? Just because what you're doing isn't working right this second, doesn't mean that with a little patience, it won't eventually work for you. The scale is not the picture in the words of my friend Christine. My friend Jan has made it to an amazing weight! Is it time to stop dieting? No, I don't think so. Jan knows how she got where she is now, and she knows how she got to the other place, the one she fought so hard to get out of. My friend Dawn is holding steady at a weight she doesn't love, but she's smart enough to know it could go the other way pretty fast. She perseveres. Maybe we're insane but we're not stupid. The road to a larger size is just a few mindless, stress filled eating days away. Diligence. New, better ways of dealing with stress. New better ways of eating the food we love. Staying away from our trigger foods as much as humanly possible, but we are all human. Should we be flogged for making a poor food choice? Should we abandon all hope for our future body because we ate something not on the list? How about learning to forgive ourselves and move on? Changing the way we deal with food, and stress and exercise. Changing it long enough that it becomes comfortable, old hat, new habits. No one expects more from us than we expect of ourselves, if they do...lose 'em fast. Who needs that kind of pressure? Have faith. No blame, no excuses. Not necessary. Start again. Give love and encouragement to yourself, everyday. I'm rambling, I know. I want so much for others to learn what I have learned but it's not something you can teach, not really. I'll keep talking, I guess. And listening for sure. I'm listening.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:02 PM   #465
Major LCF Poster!

Have I told you lately that I love you guys!!!! I only wish that we were all closer than all over the country. Christine is the closest to me and that is still a good 6 hours away and even with all the travels we do her area is not one of the places we travel through.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:28 PM   #466
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
He tells me I'm beautiful. I mostly believe him. He cheers for me, tells me I'm saving my own life, marvels at my will to succeed, this time. I'm so grateful for his love and support. However long we are allowed to be together, it will never be enough time. I say these things as a tribute, as truth. I am a blessed woman.
oh wow! wow! wow! you ARE incredibly blessed, my friend. and so is your sweet husband. i am so happy for you. have you considered writing your love story? your tribute was so romantic
Old 06-01-2011, 07:38 PM   #467
Major LCF Poster!

Blonde, there is so much in your post about dieting...and I want to take more time before responding. my initial emotional "thoughts"...you are "spot on" and so wise.

do you ever come to northern California? hey, Blonde, Christine and Dawn...San Francisco is terrific, and Monterey is so beautiful...can I entice you to visit with lovely, interesting settings? How about Yosemite? I live in a plain ol suburb in a city near freeways, but just an hour or so away are some of man's and nature's amazing creations. We could TALK for a long time, huh?

Jan
Old 06-02-2011, 03:35 AM   #468
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'd so love to meet you ladies one day! I've never been to CA; not a big traveler, but I could make an exception for you ladies!

Blonde, I love your inspiring post. THANK YOU!
Old 06-02-2011, 06:21 AM   #469
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Christine, Jan and Dawn, thank you mucho! :blush: I love you girls too...AND...when I blab away, I am talking to you. There is something so special about the combination of our support that "just does it" for me. I would love to meet you all, spend the the day or the weekend comparing notes and figuring out how to rule the world... "Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking"? (from Pinky and the Brain, cartoon)

I've never been to San Fransisco, I've made it as far as Hearst Castle and Morro Bay. It's on my list of places to see for sure. I've never been to New York state either and if I go, I'll have to go alone. DH is a South Dakota boy and thinks that New York is too scary to visit (for him). You never know, these things could happen.

Jan, my love story would never make it on a soap opera. Too boring, not enough interest to intrigue anyone for very long, but that's what I like. I can remember vowing... at a very young age to have peace in my life, someday. I have peace, and I will go to war to keep it, if you know what I mean? My childhood was filled with drama, maybe not anymore than most kids, but enough to last a lifetime for me. DH and I both come from broken homes and together we've built our Fortress of Solitude and together we live in peace.

I appreciate your support, comments and insights. Having this has helped me to continue this quest, not give up.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:52 AM   #470
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

A very difficult DD yesterday but I made it through. I have no idea why I was sooo hungry all day, growly tummy and all but I did it and today I can eat. Yay! You know....I had wine on my last UD, I wonder if that triggered hunger? It had been awhile since I've had any wine.

Having lunch w/ my BFF of 27 years. I haven't seen her since before I left for Arkansas. We're going to talk about lots of stuff including wedding stuff for my youngest.

Happy Friday!!
Old 06-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #471
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Friday Blonde. Sorry to hear that you had a rough DD yesterday. I hate when I find myself incredibly hungry and cannot identify a trigger. What I have found is if I listen to my body and eat when it is hungry, no matter how hungry, the next day it goes away. I really think for me it is just hormonal, maybe you are the same way.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:10 AM   #472
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dawn, if I could get a hold of my homones I'd beat them senseless for what they been doing to me for the last year or so.....

Yeah, I don't know what it was, but I managed it and had a good day yesterday as well. DD today, lots of planting to do so I'll stay busy and try not to think about eating until way later...
Old 06-07-2011, 09:06 AM   #473
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Had a very successful DD yesterday. My local Bed Bath and Beyond is offering up the Zumba DVD collection for $59...I'm so tempted but also afraid of throwing my money away (again). ??? What to do.........
Old 06-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #474
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey there! Saw your post over on my journal, but I'll answer you here: I think you should scour Youtube first; there are TONS (and I mean TONS) of Zumba routines on there. You can easily cobble together a workout. If you like that, then maybe invest in the DVDs. I'll send you a private message of some of my youtube favorites!
Old 06-07-2011, 10:02 PM   #475
Major LCF Poster!

Thinking of you...that's all Jan
Old 06-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #476
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hello my buddies!!! Thank you Christine! You are awesome.

Jan, me too you! Howzit???

I don't know if I'm allowed to talk about this so I'll be cryptic. There's been a major blow up between subscribers of the thread that I visit quite often. The one that helps me follow my woe. (Read between the lines). There's been a hijacking of the thread that got me started on this woe and I'm really sad about it because it's almost like the splitting of a family. I have loyalties in both camps...I'm torn. I don't think I have to choose between them...but it feels disloyal to visit the new thread. I missed the "altercation" because I don't visit there everyday and the "monitors" had already removed the offending messages.

Wedding Bell Blues...my youngest DD and her fiance are having a hard time deciding on the "venue" for the wedding in November. The fiance's mom is very "opinionated" and I fear my easy going little girl is going to be railroaded into something she didn't really want. It's not like DH and I are paying for the wedding...we haven't a lot of money to spend. DH is approaching retirement, so no money, no opinion. I take deep breaths through my nose and think happy thoughts.

DD today. Period. End of discussion.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #477
Major LCF Poster!

the only thing worse than drama...is drama where you are not privy to the backstory i hate being embroiled in drama in real life! online? i mostly think it's funny. i hope you can connect up with the folks whom you enjoy on lcf. there are are lot of wonderful people here!

and drama in the wedding arena too? oh my. that, i would not like at all. and, of course you get an opinion...it's the one that best suits your sweet daughter! she wants a destination wedding?...so do you. she wants to get married on the beach?...that's your favorite too. she wants traditional? unique? formal? quirky? huge guest list? family only? whatever she fancies...funny thing...that's the very thing you had in mind too

do you know i'm pretty strong, and diplomatic (mostly) too...need me to come down there and set her future MIL on the right path? i can be there in just a few hours!

so now you have to share the romance...what kind of wedding does the young couple want?

and the drama...what does the MIL want?
Old 06-09-2011, 07:54 AM   #478
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh Jan, I'd love to have you straighten out the MIL, just so I could hang with you for some time!

MIL has delusions of grandeur, my DD wants simple, family and closest friends only, country style venue, "picnic" reception, dancing outdoors etc.

MIL has a guest list of 180 people, tells the fiance (her son) china and silverware, sit-down catered, and hates the outdoor venue and made a comment about having to rent porta-potties for such an event.... My DD will go along with whatever so as not to rock the boat. Poor baby. I am not the type to confront her on this, number one it's not my style, number two...they will be in-laws (we'll be outlaws) and it would only make my DD more miserable. DH and I want to help but without being able to lend much financial support it's kind of out of our hands. We are of course buying the dress (not yet decided on) and the wedding flowers, etc. DH is supplying the live band, PA support for speeches etc. IDK, my wedding cost $105 including the ring and dress Friends brought the music and stuff...So, I guess it's not really my drama and I shouldn't think that way.

Up day today....Yippee!!
Old 06-10-2011, 05:17 AM   #479
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, Blonde....poor DD! I wish you all the best as you navigate these difficult waters!
Old 06-10-2011, 07:08 AM   #480
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ZUMBA

I've been looking at the links you sent me Christine, and trying some of the simple starter moves...pretty fun. Today on QVC they had a whole segment on Zumba and of course showed all kinds of before and after photos! It was fun to watch and I'm feeling desperate for some sort of activity to rock my world...their cost was almost twice what B,B and Beyond is asking so I think I'm going to pick it up today. While I was trying out the steps this morning with QVC, I stepped on the Chihuahua's toe and he squealed loud enough to almost give me a heart attack! I'm going to have to lock up the dogs to do this...

Re: the wedding, I'm the Mona Lisa.